Copyright
Benjamin Whitman.

Nelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r online

. (page 157 of 192)
Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 157 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


since 1885, and is also a dealer in farming imple-
ments. In the bicycle trade he represents the Spauld-
ing and the Victor. Mr. Stuntz has also operated a
steam thresher with his father (and for two years alone)
since 1888. Blacksmithing and general carriage work
also form a large feature of his business. He has won
an enviable reputation, and the large trade he has se-
cured is the result of earnest endeavors to do his work
in the best style. He is a meinber of the P. H. C.

William E. Evans (deceased), was born in West
Mill Creek, Erie county. Pa., in 1841, and died in Fair-
view township April 4, 1886. He was a son of James
Evans, of Mill Creek township. The family of James
Evans, consisted of six sons, as follows: John, George.
Conrad, William E., James and Presley. In 1872 he
was married to Miss Emma \'on Buseck, daughter of
Lewisand Caroline (Stohlmann) Von Buseck, nativesof
Germany, former of whom came to this country with
his father and brother in 1832, the remainder of the
family following in 1834. They remained in Pitts-
burg, Pa., for one year, then removing to Erie county,
and later purchasing a farm on the Lake road three
miles west of Erie city. Mr. Von Buseck proved him-
self a most successful farmer of the township. He
married Caroline Stohlmann, and to this union were
born twelve children, nine of whom are now living:
Augusta, wife of Joachim Knobloch; Charles, married
to Lavina Butt; Amile, married to Mary Fickinger,
Emma, wife of William E. Evans; Julius, Lewis, Al-
bert, William and Caroline. William E. Evans spent
fifteen years on the farm where his widow now resides,
with her children, who are as follows: Caroline U.,
Clara Stohlmann, Lizzie Lavina, Charles Frederick,
Emma Von Buseck and William Lee Evans. Mr.
Evans was one of the leading farmers and foremost
citizens of the township.

John G. Weiblen, justice of the peace, Fairview,
Erie county. Pa., was born in the year 1833, and is a
son of Gottlieb and Gotleibian (Meyers) Weiblen, na-
tives of Germany. The former was a weaver by trade,
and came to America and Erie county in 1850, and
first settled in Erie city. He later came to Fairview
borough, and died in 1894. His wife died in Europe
in 1835. John G. Weiblen was married in 1859 to Miss
Mary Harmon, daughter of Dedrick Harmon, an old
resident of Erie county. The issue of this union have
been twelve children, as follows: Josephine, Emma,
William, Gertrude, Hattie, Nellie, Charles, Frank,
Carrie, Winifred, John and Freddie. Mr. Weiblen
learned his trade, that of a shoemaker, in 1850, and re-
moved to Fairview borough in 1855, and for forty years
has been one of its staunch and reliable citizens, whose
council is often sought pn matters of importance,



AND HISTORIGAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY.



783



where reliable information and advice is desired. He
was admitted to the Erie county bar in 1868, and ap-
pointed justice of the peace in 1885, which office he
now holds.

W. H. Hyke, proprietor of the Heuer House, Fair-
view, Erie county. Pa., was born in Port Hope, Can-
ada, in 1852, son of Cornelius and Elizabeth (\'alier)
Hyke, who had the following children: Jerrad N.,
Charles and W. H. Hyke, who were educated in their
native town, from whence his parents moved to Erie
in 1865. Cornelius Hyke was born in Schenectady,
N. Y., of Holland descent, and was a veteran of the
war of 1812. In April, 1879, Mr. W. H. Hyke was
united in marriage with Miss Anna, daughter of J. W.
and Catherine Koehler. The former was born in Hol-
land in 1814, and came to this country with his parents
in 1832, making Erie his home during his active life.
He has been engaged in ship building and was also an
expert millwright. The children of this union are:
John W. Koehler, of Chicago; Mrs. Mary Pope, Erie;
Mrs. W. H. Hyke, Fairview, and Mrs. Agnes Gregory,
widow of C. C. Gregory, formerly conductor on the L.
S. & M. S. R. R. George Koehler, father of J. W.
Koehler, was one of the first settlers and had the first
greenhouse in Erie county, situated on the Buffalo
road, three miles east of Erie. The children of Mr.
and Mrs. W. H. Hyke are: Cora, Mabel, Agnes and
Ethel. Mr. Hyke became proprietor of the hotel in
Fairview in November, 1894, and has succeeded in es-
tablishing a first-class reputation for the hotel, which
has been newly equipped, and in every detail is most
complete. Mr. Hyke is a first-class landlord and fully
understands the needs of the public and conducts a
first-class house.

J. V. Warrew, retired, Fairview, Erie county. Pa.,
was born February 14, 1812, in Jefferson county, Ohio,
where he spent his early life. Seven years were spent on
a farm near Ashtabula, Ohio, and came to Erie in 1872
and began the hotel business in Fairview, which he
continued until 1894, when he retired. Mr. Warren is
a son of Nathaniel and Lavina (Watries) Warren, the
former a native of Rhode Island and the latter of New
England. To this union were born eleven children:
Sarah, born September 14, 1786; Rhoda, May 11, 1790;
Samuel, June 20, 1792; Jane, February 20, 1794; Na-
thaniel, June 29, 1796; David S., August 26, 1799;
Thomas, August 15, 1801; Mary, October 13, 1802;
William, October 12, 1806; Hannah, June 5, 1808, and
James V., February 14, 1812. In 1835 J. V. Warren mar-
ried Miss Emeline Allen, daughter of John Allen, a
descendant of the renowned Ethan Allan, of Vermont.
The children of this union are: Elizabeth, widow of
Jerome Van Allan, of Ashtabula, Ohio; Valentine,
William H., Seth A., Manford J., Emogene, wife of
Amos Weaver; Diadiamy, wife of Loyd Harper, all of
Ashtabula, Ohio, and Reed Warren, of Fairview
borough. J. V . Warren had been engaged in active
pursuits until 1894, when declining health, together
with advancing years, compelled him to take a less
active part in business affairs.

A. J. Nasou, merchant, Franklin Corners, Erie
county. Pa., was born in Fairview township in 1859,
and is a son of B. J. and Harriet (Rice) Nason, residents
of Franklin township, and grandson of William Na-
son, a native of New England, where his life was



spent. His family are: William, of Fairview; Syl-
vester, Benjamin J. (father of A. J. Na,son), Webster,
Erie, and Mrs. Ann Yeagley (deceased). Mrs. Nason 's
father was John Rice, a life-long resident of New York
State. B. J. Nason came to Franklin township thirty-
four years ago, at a time when this particular section
and township was new, and for the most part covered
with a thick forest. He began business as a merchant
at Franklin Corners in 1890, and was appointed post-
master the same year, This postoffice was established
about 1855, and is geographically the center of the
township, which is laid out the most systematically of
any township in Erie county. Mr. Nason is among the
most active and progressive citizens of Franklin. He
was educated at the Edinboro State Normal School,
and for several years prior to taking up the mercantile
trade taught in the public schools of that locality. He
is a member of the Equitable Aid Union, and has
active interest in all that pertains to local affairs.

L. O. Statibro, blacksmith, Franklin Corners, Erie
county. Pa., was born in Concord, Erie county, N. Y.,

in 1877, and at the age of 14 years removed with his
parents to Crawford ciiiniiy, 1 Vmisvlvania. Mr. Stan-
bro learned his trade, ili.ii 'i.l l.l.n JsMiiithini;, in Spring-
ville, Erie county, X. N ., ,111. 1 ^uiiii .ilti-r came to l",ne
county, and was for a time cuiiiImv nl at Edinlioro. In
April, 1895, he removed to P'ranklin C\)rners, where he
established himself in the business of general black-
smithing and wagon repairing and has by continued
industry built up a large and profitable 'trade. Mr.
Stanbro is a son of the late Lavant Stanbro, who died
in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, in 1880. His
mother was Miss Ida Horton, who still survives. Mr.
Stanbro was educated in the public schools of Erie city
and is a skilled and energetic worker m his chosen
trade.

H. C. Howard, farmer, Franklin Corners, Frank-
lin township, Erie county, Pa., was born and reared in
the township in which he now resides. The year of
his birth was 1837. He is the son of Henry Howard,
sr., and grandson of Daniel Howard, who was killed
in the war of 1812. Henry Howard first settled in
Girard township, and removed with his wife, Sarah
Jenness, to Franklin township, in 1832, near where his
son Henry now resides. Henry Howard, sr., died in
August, 1890, and his wife in December, 1893. Of
their family there were two sons, Henry C. and Levi
P. Howard, of Amboy, O. The latter also resided for
many years in Franklin. Five daughters also blest
this union: Sarah, wife of L. C. Allen, Iowa; Phebe,
wife of C. Stewart, Tennessee; Clarissa, wife of C. E.
Mathewson; Harriet, wife of S. Hamilton, Franklin
Corners, and Hannah, wife of F. Mischler. Hannah
died in 1883. In 1868 Henry was married to Miss
Betsey Watson, daughter of James Watson, of Girard,
Erie county. Pa., one of the oldest settlers of that vil-
lage. This union has been blest with the following
children: Elma J., wife of George Jenness; Bertha F.,
Lou B., S. Grace and Edna E., all residents of Frank-
lin township. Following are the children of James
and Mary (Woolsey) Watson: Jane, wife of Samuel
Coburn, Erie; Betsey, wife of Henry; Frank, Mary
Ann, Erie; George, Washington; Charli":. Indiana;



on his present farm since 1862, and



7¬І4



NELSON'S BtOOBAPHIGAL DICTIONARY



time, taken part in bringing the land about his resi-
dence from a densely wooded and not altogether val-
uable condition to its present high state of cultivation
and productiveness. In 1862, Mr. Howard enlisted in
the nine months' service, and received an honorable
discharge at the end of that time. He was a member
of Co. G, 169th P. V. I. He has been school director,
and has always taken an active part and been fore-
most in matters pertaining to his locality.

Daniel B. Robittsoti, retired farmer, Ivaria,
Franklin township, Erie county. Pa., was born in
Otisco township, Onondaga county. New York, July
22, 1823, son of Daniel B. Robinson, born May 26,
1787, who married Elizabeth Benedict, born March 12,
1793, daughter of Johnathon and Huldah (Seely) Ben-
edict, who had six children, of whom James B. died in
Nebraska in the year 1891; Daniel B.; John B., also
died in Nebraska, and Thomas, surviving. Daniel B.,
the elder, and his wife, were natives of New York
State. He was for many years county surveyor, com-
missioner of deeds, magistrate and a school teacher.
He came to this county in 1844, from Fabius, Onon-
daga county, N. Y., and settled in Franklin township,
where he died April 2, 1852, his widow following him
March 11, 1870. He was a son of John and Eunice
(Wilcox) Robinson, the former a native of Scotland,
and the latter of New York State. Johnathan Bene-
dict, son of Nathaniel Benedict, was a native of Eng-
land. Daniel B. Robinson was married, October 1,
1849, to Mary Crosby, born in the township of Wales,
Erie county. New York, December 17, 1822, daughter
of Calvin and Huldah (Connell) Crosby, natives of
New York State. By this union there is one son,
Marquis D., born October 21, 1851, now an oil oper-
ator in Titusville, Pa. He is a member of the Na-
tional Oil Company. He married Miss Flora Mc-
Quarie, a native of Nova Scotia. To this union have
been born three children: Mable Marion, Ellsworth D.
and Ovid D. Robinson. Owing to an accident, at the
age of 11 years, Daniel B. Robinson became a cripple
for life, and he prepared himself for teaching, which
occupation he followed in Elk Creek and Franklin
township for twenty years. He bears the distinction
of being one of the oldest citizens now living in Frank-
lin township, and has been identified with many local
enterprises during his active life. He assisted in es-
tablishing the Edinboro State Normal School, the
postoffice known as Ivaria, the naming of the Mohawk
Mills, and numerous other undertakings. During
these years he has filled the offices of school inspector
of Franklin township and director of the independent
school district, and also clerk, treasurer and collector.
He is a member of the First Regular Baptist Church,
Elk Creek, and in politics is a Republican. This es-
timable gentleman, while having lived out the days
usually allotted to mankind, still has a retentive merii-
ory, and is able to recall many events of his earlier
days with unwonted vigor and interest.

Rev. Heary Frawcis Dietrich, rector of St.
Boniface Roman Catholic Church, of Greene town-
ship, was born in Erie City May 26, 1872. His father.
Henry Dietrich, and mother, formerly Victoria
Schnialzl, a n?tive of Bavaria, Germany, are both
living. Father Dietrich received his early education
in the parochial schools of Erie. He then spent nine



years at St. Vincent's College in Westmoreland county,
Pennsylvania, and one year at St. Bonaventure Col-
lege, at Allegany, N. Y. Father Dietrich was appointed
to his first pastorate, the parish of St. Boniface, on
June 26, 1895. The parish was founded in 1857, and
has now a membership of about sixty families. The
church is situated in the central portion of Greene
township, on the Wattsburg road. It has a very fine
property surrounding it, which contains about four
acres. The pastors of St. Boniface Church from the
time it was founded to the present year were as fol-
lows: 1857 to 1867, Rev. J. A. Oberhofer; 1867 to 1868,
Rev. P. F. Maloney; 1868 to 1870, Rev. J. VoUemyer;
1870 to 1873, J. A. Oberhofer; 1873 to 1878, Melchior
Appel; 1878 to 1890, Edward Hasse; 1890 to 1891,
John C. McEntee; 1891 to 1894, Joseph M. Sieverding;

1894 to 1895, Simon Assenmacher; 1895 to date, Rev.
Henry F. Dietrich.

John P. Rose. Greene township, was born in this
county September 13, 1864. His father, Charles Rose,
came to the United States in 1850 and settled in
Greene township, Erie county, on a farm of 133 acres,
near the Lake Pleasant road. In 1853 he was married
to Anna Mary Gosse, a native of Erie county. Ten
children were the result of this marriage, of whom
John P. was eighth in order of birth. Mr. Rose
has continuously lived in Erie county, except for a
short period during the war, when he went to Indi-
ana. The children were all born and educated
in Erie county. Mr. Rose died in 1874 at the age
of 51 years. John Rose followed farming as a busi-
ness until 21 years of age, when he purchased the
saw-mill owned by West Newton, on the Lake Pleas-
ant road, three miles north of the town by the same
name. Mr. Rose prospered in this business and in

1895 improved his property by erecting an entire new
plant at an expense of S2,500. The new mill includes
a shingle mill, grist mill and cider press. He was
married September 12, 1893, to Minnie, daughter of
James Cartin, of Erie county. They have one child, a
daughter, Vernie.

George H. Myers, Greene township, was born
near West Greene, Erie county, September 7, 1857.
His grandfather, Samuel Myers, was the first of his
ancestors to come to Pennsylvania. He was born in
Delaware county. New York, and came to Erie county
in 1820, settling on a farm of 160 acres in what was
then a wilderness in Greene township. Mr. Myers,
being one of the early settlers, did much toward
building up that portion of Erie county. John Myers,
father of George H., was born in 1821, and was mar-
ried to Permilia Brace in this county in 1853. They
had six children, of whom George H. was the third.
The others are: Deloss H., Mrs. Emma Jackson, now
living in Kansas; William T.; Verna, now Mrs. J.
Porter Jackson; and Gara Grant, all of whom are liv-
ing, with one exception, in Erie county. George H.
was married to Julia Barry, a daughter of Thomas
Barry, of this county, October 20, 1882. Her mother
was a daughter of Cyril Drown, of Greene township.
Three children have been the result of this marriage,
Gertha, G. Barry and Rachel. Mr. Myers is one of
the progressive citizens of this locality, has always
taken an active part in politics in the county, and,
though a Republican, was appointed postmaster of



AND EISTOBIGAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUSTY.



785



East Greene by President Cleveland in 1888, which
office he continues to hold. He also has a general
store and successfully cultivates a farm of forty acres.

Peter Kuhl, Greene township, was born in
Greene township, October 25. 184.5. His father, Peter
Kuhl, was born in York county, Pennsylvania, in 1801.
John Yost Kuhl, father of Peter, sr., was a native of
Germany, and emigrated to this country at the age of
12. He settled in York county, where later he mar-
ried Elizabeth Orth, of York county. They reared
seven children, viz.; Peter, sr., Daniel, Fairview; Su-
san, who married John Gittings, Harbor Creek; Polly,
wife of Fred Ohlwiler, Harbor Creek; Peggy, now
Mrs. Daniel Berringer, Fairview; Katherine, who mar-
ried a Mr. D. Stover, Fairview, and Elizalaeth. All
these children were born in York county, and are all
now deceased. The family moved to Erie county
about 1823, coming in wagons, and settled in the vi-
cinity of Kearsarge, in Mill Creek township. Meet-
ing with financial adversity eight years later they sold
the property at Kearsarge, and settled on 150 acres in
the woods, in Greene township, where a large log
cabin was built. There a comfortable income was
earned by felling the forests, and hauling the wood to
Erie city, and also in tilling the soil about the cabin
home. On October 22, 1829, Peter, sr., was married to
Susan Fry, daughter of Joseph Fry, formerly of Lan-
caster county. Pa., and one of the early Pennsylvania
Dutch settlers. They reared a family of ten children.
Sarah was the first child. She is now Mrs. George
Hairsine, and is living in Greene township. Samuel was
the second child, and is now living upon a large farm
adjoining the old homestead, which was cleared by
himself. Barbara, the third child, died in April, 1889;
Eliza, is the wife of J. D. Meade, of Harbor Creek
township; Adam, Harbor Creek; Mary Ann, now Mrs.
David Ripley, is living in Greene township; Fred, is
living on a part of the old homestead in Greene town-
ship; Peter, jr., our subject; Hiram, living in North
East townsfiip; and Susan, now the wife of Charles
Breckley, of Mill Creek township. Peter, jr., was
married June 16, 1868, to Harriett Maria Cook,
daughter of Samuel Cook, a native of New
York State. He was born in Portland, Chau-
tauqua county, and came to Pennsylvania in 1847,
and settled in Athens township, Crawford county.
Mr. Cook was married before he came to Pennsyl-
vania, to Lydia Stafford Stark, of an old English
family, on May 5, 1844. They had five children,
three girls and two boys: Lydia Anna, now the wife
of Myron Wagner, of Mill Creek township; Frances
Marion, living in Greene township; Mary, wife of
Swayne Olson, of Erie city; Samuel Frank, living in
Greene township, and Harriett Maria, who was the
second child. She was born in Crawford county, Au-
gust 23, 1847, and came with her parents to Erie
county in 1854. Samuel Cook, father of Mrs. Peter
Kuhl, jr., was educated in the Academy at Fredonia,
N. Y. He was a Republican, and took an active in-
terest in the politics of Erie county. The year Horace
Greeley was a candidate for president he was a candi-
date for county commissioner, but by his friendship
and campaining for Mr. Greeley m this county he de-
feated himself^ Mr. Cook's father was a native of
Rutland county, Vermont. Mr. and Mrs. Peter Kuhl,
jr., spent the first eight years of their married life in
Harbor Creek township, when they moved to the old



Cook homestead in Greene township, where they now
reside. Mr. Kuhl, like his antecedents, has always
been a farmer, and now has 130 acres, wfiich, through
his efforts, have been brought to a fine state of culti-
vation, while the modern farm buildings rate among
the very best in Greene township. Mr. and Mrs. Kuhl
are public-spirited, and have been actively identified
with the local affairs of their neighborhood. He has
served as school director, and secretary of the board
during his entire term; is now road commissioner of
the township. Lentil ill health compelled him to re-
sign, Mr. Kuhl served as a director of the Wattsburg
Agricultural Society. Mrs. Kuhl served as superin-
tendent of the Department of Domestic Arts during
the time her husband served as a Sirector, but re-
signed when he did, feeling that her first duty was at
home. She was a school teacher in her girlhood days,
and taught in the townships of Venango, Greene,
Harbor Creek, and Greenfield, and her earnestness
and ambition won the regard of the communities in
which she taught in the good old days when " board-
ing around " was a teacher's lot, to siich an extent that
she formed many agreeable and lasting friendships.
Mrs. Kuhl carried the same earnest, enthusiastic spirit
into her domestic duties, and her husband found in
her an able co-laborer in bringing his farm to its pres-
ent high state of development and cultivation. They
have one child, a daughter, 14 years old, who is a fine
scholar, being the first pupil to graduate from the
schools of Greene township since they were graded.
In addition to general farming, Mr. Kuhl conducts a
fine dairying department, and its products find a
ready market among some of the leading families of
Erie, who only appreciate the very best. Mr. and
Mrs. Kuhl attend the Presbyterian Church.

Amsoh H. Yaple was born October 2, 1829, in this
county. His father, David Yaple, came to Erie coun-
ty with his brother, William, from Delaware county,
New York, which was the first home of the Yaple fam-
ily in this country, and where a number of the de-
scendants now live. They originally came from Ger-
many, some time before the Revolutionary war, and a
number of the family participated in that great strug-
gle for independence. The two brothers, who now
have a large and representative posterity in Erie
county, settled in the wilderness of Greene township
in 1824, the vicinity of which is now known as West
Greene. They cleared a large acreage, which of late
years compose some of the richest farm lands in the
county. The brothers were of a family of twelve chil-
dren, two of whom are now living and residents of
this county: The eldest is Mrs. Eleanor, wife of
William B. Weed (deceased), who has reached the
ripe age of 97 years, and lives at Weeds Corners in
Greene township; Christian Yaple, her brother, is 85
years old, and lives at Waterford. William Yaple
went back to Delaware county. New York, about
1827, and was married to a Miss Sallie Hull. They
had six children, three of whom are now living:
Rebecca Weed, of Erie City; Miles, living in this
county, and Giles, now a resident of Norwalk, Ohio.
William Yaple died in 1844. David Yaple, the father
of Anson H., was married December 26, 1826, to Ruth
Fuller, daughter of Timothy Fuller, who at that time
was a resident of Venango township, and one of the
earlier settlers in Erie county. They had seven chil-
dren, of whom Anson H. was the second child. The



786



NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTION ART



others are: William W., now living near the old
homestead; N. V., L. P. R., D. R., t;j., and Eulalia
A., now the widow of Aaron Haskins, and living in
Erie. David Yaple died December 24, 1888. His
wife died six years before him, November 13, 1882.
Anson H. Yaple was married June 10, 1851, to Laura
A. Streeter, daughter of Horace Streeter, a native of
the Black River country, in New York State. She
moved to Erie county at an early age with her mother
and uncle, Rodney Cole. In 1856 Mr. Yaple moved
to Washburn, Grant county, Wis., where he remained
nine years, when his wife died, August 14, 1864. They
had six children, all of whom are living: The first is
Candace R., wife of George Cutter, of this county;
Henry W., living at Harbor Creek station; Edward
L. and Clinton F., living in Greene township; Addie
E., wife of Oscar Root, now living in Summit town-
ship, and Anson J., who has settled on the Barryfarm
in Greene township. After the death of his wife Mr.
Yaple returned to Erie county and purchased the
farm upon which he now resides, and September 18,
1866, he married Louise M., daughter of Luther D.
Jackson, of Delaware county. New York. They now
have four children, the eldest, A. L. Yaple, is living in
Greene township; Lulu E,, wife of Fred Coover, of
Greene township; Kati- I., wife of William Allen, and
Leah M., living with her mutlu-r and father. While in
Wisconsin Mr. Yajile served in the army during the
late war. He enlisted in Co. E, 30th Reg., Wis. Vol.,



Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 157 of 192)