Copyright
Benjamin Whitman.

Nelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r online

. (page 160 of 192)
Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 160 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


member of the Mystic Circle, and politically he is a
staunch Democrat.

Ralph W. McDowald, D. D. S., Girard, Pa., was
born October 8, 1869, at Conneautville, Pa., son of
George B. and Kisiah (Stevens) McDonald. George
B. McDonald, who was a native of Bennington, Vt.,
was born February 23, 1830, son of George and Mary
McDonald, who were of Scotch descent, and early set-
tlers in New England. He received his early educa-
tion in the common schools of V'ermont, and when
about 20 years of age came to Erie county, settling in
West Girard, where he resided but a short time, when
he took up the study of dentistry, and after complet-
ing the regular course, followed that profession with
remarkable success up to the time of his death, Octo-
ber 8, 1883. He was married to Miss Kisiah Stevens,
of Summer Hill township, Crawford county. Pa., who
died in 1895. To them were born five children,
namely: Flavia, Mrs. L. A. Rossiter; George F. (de-
ceased); Kit C. (deceased), A. Linn (deceased), and
Ralph W., who was educated in the jiublic schools of
Conneautville and Girard, and then took a course in
the Philadelphia Dental College. When not in school
Mr. McDonald spent his entire time assisting his
father at dentistry. Brought up from childhood in his
profession, it gave him superior advantages, which he
did not neglect, to become proficient in the art of
dentistry, in which he has an excellent practice, and is



achieving an enviable reputation. He was married
June 6, 1894, to Miss Ida H., daughter of Charles M.
Briggs, of Erie. Politically Mr. .McDonald is a Re-
publican.

Peter H. Nellis, proprietor of the Avenue House,
Girard, Pa., was born in Alsace, Germany. His father,
Mathias, emigrated to America in 1848, locating in
Erie city, where he yet resides. Peter began life a
poor boy, first gardening. He came to Girard in 1861,
and learned shoeniaking, at which trade he worked
several years. In 1864 he entered as landsman, in
the navy, was assigned to the steamer " Gen.Thomas "
(then at I5ridgeport, Ala.), participating in Hood's en-
gagement, and in several skirmishes, serving until the
close of the war. On his return he went to the oil
country, came back to Girard, and located in an old
building on the canal, called Sawdust Hall, then in
operation, where he worked at his trade, sold mer-
chandise, accommodated travelers, and kept a stable.
In 1876 he bought and repaired the old Guard House,
which burned in 1879, and on which was but a small
insurance. He immediately began erecting the
Avenue House, opening it in the following June. It is
a modern brick structure, cost about S9,000, and has
accommodations for a large number of guests. He
was married in Girard in 1868, to Miss Kate Croft, a
native of Canada. They have two children: Daniel, a
civil engineer, and Kitty, married to Dr. Rogers, a
dentist, at Conneaut, Pa. Mr. Nellis is a popular land-
lord, and keeps a first-class, reliable house, which com-
mands the trade of the traveling public.

C. G. Daggett, fire insurance agent, Girard, Pa.,
was born July 7, 1848. He is a son of Hiram and Pa-
tience (Gilson) Daggett, the former a native of Green-
field township, Erie county, and the latter of Clymer,
N. Y. Hiram was born in 1816, and died in 1889. His
wife died in 1885. He settled in Girard township at
the age of 20, and followed farming until about 1870,
when he engaged in fire and life insurance, also carry-
ing on farming in connection with it. In the family
there were four children: C. W., Girard; Byron H.,
Buffalo; Fenton (deceased), and Clayton G., who now
resides on the old homestead, aboxt two miles east of
Girard borough, on the Ridge road. He succeeded
his father in the insurance business, and devotes his
attention exclusively to fire insurance. He represents
several of the best companies, and is the only fire in-
surance agent in the vicinity of Girard. He was mar-
ried February 16, 1871, to Miss Ida, daughter of Will-
iam and Elizabeth (Hart) Drury, of Girard. They
have two children: Oliver and Frank G. Mr. Daggett
politically is a Democrat.

W. E. Abbey, grocer and coal dealer. Miles Grove,
Pa., was born in Girard, April 12, 1851, and is a son of
Elijah J. and Samantha M. (Abbey) Abbey, natives of
Erie county. The father died in 1881 in Springfield
township, and the mother now resides in Miles Grove.
In the family there were five children, namely:
Franklin H., Saginaw, Mich.; A. L., Erie, Pa.; W. E.,
Lizzie A., married Homer E. Hidliker, Miles Grove,
Pa., and C. E. Abbey, youngest son, resides in Miles
Grove. Mr. Abbey was educated in the public schools
and spent his early life on the farm, and, in 1881, en-
gaged in the mercantile business for about one and a
half years, then sold oat and engaged in the novelty



794



JffELSON'S BIOOBAPEICAL DICTIONABT



manufacturing business, which he followed one year,
when he engaged as superintendent for the Keystone
Roller Curtain Works. This position he filled for
several years, when he purchased his present business,
which he had formerly owned. He was married Sep-
tember 21, 1871, to Hattie E. Buck, of Girard, Pa.
Mr. Abbey is a member of the I. O. O. F., the Pro-
tected Home Circle and State Police. Politically he
is a staunch Republican.

George W. Evaas, sheriff of Erie county, Erie,
Pa., was born in Summit township February 25, 1849,
and is a son of Joshua and Mary (Brubaker) Evans,
both natives of Lancaster county, Pennsylvania.
Joshua Evans settled in Erie in 1834. He was en-
gaged in the construction of the steamship " Madison,"
on which he afterward fired three years, and then set-
tled in Fairview township, and, in 1840, moved to
Summit township, where he resided until 1857, when
he moved to Girard, lived there until 1877, and re-
moved to Benton Harbor, Mich., where he died in 1892.
His wife died in 1890. In the family there were
twelve children, of whom George W. is the fifth. He
was educated in the public schools and Girard Acad-
emy, and in 1870 engaged in the livery business in
Girard, which he followed until he was elected sheriff
of Erie county in 1894, when he removed to Erie. Mr.
Evans was married December 28, 1891, to Mrs. Jennie
Pettibone, of Ashtabula, Ohio. He served as constable
of Girard eight years, was in the borough council six
years and was burgess two years. Politically he is a
Republican, and is a member of the Masonic order and
the Elks.

J. E. Kreider, dealer in meats. Miles Grove, Pa.,
was born November 20, 1860, and is a son of Levi H.
and Serna (Weidler) Kreider, natives of Lancaster
county, Pennsylvania. The latter died in 1891, and
the father now resides in Sterrettania, Pa. Mr. Krei-
der is the elder in a family of eight children. He was
reared in the town of his birth, where he remained on
the farm with his father until 21 years of age. On
June 6, 1882, he was married to Miss Marcella J.,
daughter of Louis and Angelica (Bodine) Bodine, of
Toledo, Ohio, who now reside in Middletown, Ark.
Mr. Kreider then went to Fairview and followed farm-
ing on his own account until 1890. He then purchased
his present business at Miles Grove from Albert Laff-
lin. Mr. Kreider has no competitor in his line in the
enterprising town of Miles Grove, which affords a very
extensive business. Mr. and Mrs. Kreider are the par-
ents of five children: Ellsworth Levi, born January25,
1883; Perry Reid, born September26,1884, deceased July
27, 1890; Samuel Lewis, born February 8, 1886; Edna
Eva, born November 1,1887; Floyd Bodine, born Sep-
tember 9, 1889, deceased August 1, 1890. Mr. Kreider
is a member of the L O. O. F. and one of Erie county's
progressive business men.



Leslie M. Andersow, farmer, Girard, Pa., was
born m Girard township, in July, 1851, and is a son of
Alban and Adaline (Drury) Anderson, the former a
native of New York State, the latter of Girard, Pa. In
the family were two children, Carlton (deceased) and
Leslie M. Mr. Anderson was educated in the district
school and attended the Institute of Austinburg for
awhile. He commenced in the mercantile business in



company with J. C. Loyd, in Turkey City, Clarion
county. Pa., where he remained one year. He then
returned to Girard and settled on his father's farm,
where he remained from 1874 to 1881, when he bought
his present farm of 103 acres. He was married Janu-
ary 5, 1876, to Miss Ida Bunnell, daughter of Alonzo
and Rosanna Warner, of Lockport, Pa. Her mother
is dead, and her father now resides in Denver, Colo.
Mr. Anderson is road commissioner, a member of the
Good Templars and the State police. Politically he is
a Republican.

L. Hopkins, manufacturer. Miles Grove, Pa.
Among the thriving factories of Erie county may be
found that of Mr. Hopkins, in Girard township, near
Miles Grove. He is engaged in the manufacture of
the Perfection clothes drier, besides several other arti-
cles in the specialty line. He is the inventor of all
the products of his factory. Mr. Hopkins is a son of
Francis and Lucy Ann (Robertson) Hopkins, residents
of Girard township. Francis Hopkins settled in Erie
county in 1848, coming from New York State. In the
family there were five children, of whom Leslie was
the youngest. He was reared on the farm on the Lake
road, educated in the common schools of his township,
and followed farming until 1887, when he engaged in
his present business. Mr. Hopkins was married to
Miss Lucy A. Stearns of Girard. To them have been
born three children, namely: Jessie B., Hiram F. and
Harrison. He is a member of the Knights of the
Golden Eagle, the State police, and politically is a
Republican.

A. H. Nasoti, manufacturer of and dealer in flour,
feed and grain. Miles Grove, Pa., was born in Ripley,
Chautauqua county, N. Y., May 15, 1842, and is a son
of Northrop and Esther (Rouse) Nason, natives of Ot-
sego county. New York, and of New England origin.
When a young man, Northrop Nason learr^d the
shoemaker's trade, later studied law and was admitted
to the bar in New York State. In 1836 he came to
Erie county and resided in Girard about five years,
when he returned to Ripley, N. Y., where he died in
1864, aged 56. His wife died in 1850. In the family
there were eight children, namely: Henrietta, married
William H. Root, of Ashtabula; Lydia J., married E.
F. Hessler; her husband is dead, and she now resides
in Buffalo, N. Y.; E. K., Erie, Pa.; D. O. (deceased),
Sarah, wife of the late J. F. Strickland, who died in
July, 1892, and was a former partner of Mr. Nason's;
S. B. (deceased), Hattie E., Mrs. W. A. Ritter, and A.
H. Nason, who was educated in the common schools
of New York State, and when a youth served an ap-
prenticeship at blacksmithing, working one year in
Ripley and the remainder of his term in Girard. In
1879 he engaged in his present business, in partner-
ship with Mr. Strickland, which partnership continued
until the death of Mr. Strickland. Mr. Nason was
married, September 27, 1865, to Miss Louisa E.,
daughter of DeLos Brown, of North East. They have
one child, Roy B., aged 13. Mr. Nason is one of the
progressive business men of Erie county. In politics
he is a Republican, and has been road commissioner
of Girard township for six years. Was paster and
folder in the Legislature during the year of 1891. He
is a member of the K. O. T. M., and has been a mem-
ber of the Masonic order since 1873.



AND EISTORIGAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY.



795



Harry Batchelor, farmer, Girard, Erie county,
Pa., was born in Sheffield, Ashtabula county, O., Jan-
uary 14, 1861, and is a son of Ward C. and Anne E.
(Kinner) Batchelor. When Harry was 1 year old, his
parents moved to Erie county, where they have since
followed farmmg. Ward C. Batchelor was born in
Kinssville, O., April 2, 1834. He is a son of James
and Elizabeth (Taft) Batchelor, the former a native of
\'erniont. who settled in Ohio in 1811, where he reared
a faniiK >



Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 160 of 192)