Copyright
Benjamin Whitman.

Nelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r online

. (page 171 of 192)
Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 171 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ity; Ralph E. Heard, a graduate of the'law depart-
ment of the Michigan University, and now practicing
law in Buffalo, N. Y.; James Lewis Heard, a graduate
of the medical department of the Michigan Univers-
ity, for one year assistant to Charles Neucreed, pro-
fessor of surgery of that institution, and now associated
with his father in medical practice in North East;
Corydon F. Heard, a student in the medical depart-
ment of Michigan University; and Fausta Heard, a
student at the North East high school. The family re-
side at 47 North Main street, and are members of the
Methodist Church.

Robert Joseph Moorhead was born at Moor-
headville. Harbor Creek township, Erie county. Pa.,
April 2, 1852. He is a son of the late Joseph I3yers
and Eliza (Hampson) Moorhead, both of whom were



AND EI8T0RIGAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY.



833



natives of Erie county. Joseph Byers Moorhead was
a son of John Moorhead, who with his brothers, Rob-
ert and George Moorhead, located early in the cen-
tury in Harbor Creek township, at the place that after-
ward took its name from the family, and is still known
as Moorheadville, located four miles west of North
East, the Moorhead farms being the eastern boundary
of Harbor Creek township. Joseph Byers Moorhead
removed to North East with his family in 1865, and
carried on a forwarding commission business until
1873, when he located at Cadiz, Ohio, and was there in
the employ of the American Express Company, 'up to
the time of his decease, March 10, 1880. His widow
returned to North East, where she continued to
reside until her death, September 6, 1891. Robert J.
Moorhead completed his education at the North East
Academy, in 1869. For one year thereafter he was
bookkeeper for Ezra Scouller's milling business, and
next year was bookkeeper for the First National Bank
at North East. In April, 1871, he took charge of the
books of the Second National Bank of Erie, in which
capacity he was employed until October, 1872, when
he was put in charge of the Savings Bank, Foxburg,
Clarion county, Pa., the controlling interests of which
institution were owned by John W. Hammond, Judge
Selden Marvin, Joseph I. Town and Hon. Orange
Noble, of Erie. In 1874, Mr. Moorhead embarked in
the oil brokerage business at Parker's Landing, Arm-
strong county, and continued in that business at Oil
City and Pittsburg, until his retirement in 1885, having
for ihe last two years of that period a partnership in-
terest at Pittsburg with S. S. Pinkerton, under the firm
name of Pinkerton & Moorhead. Since his retire-
ment from the oil business Mr. Moorhead has resided
at North East, and is now president of the Short
Manufacturing Company, having purchased a con-
trolling interest therein in 1888. Aside from this and
an extensive vineyard interest, he has no other busi-
ness connection. He was unmarried, resides at the
corner of Main and Pearl streets with his sister, Miss
May Moorhead, the site of their place of residence
being historic in the annals of the Presbyterian Church
as the spot where in 1801, the first communion of that
church was served in the county. Mr. and Miss
Moorhead are members of the Presbyterian Church.

Dennis Dettmati Loop, M. D., was born at Mina

(now Sherman), Cliautau(|ua county, N. Y., June 19,
1827. He is son of the late Peter and Sena (Spencer)
Loop, natives of New York, who in December, 1830,
located in North East township, where they resided
upon a farm until the death of the former in 1854, when
his widow removed to the borough of North East,
where she died August 5, 1880. Dennis D. Loop re-
ceived a public school education and then began the
study of medicine, under the preceptorship of the late
Dr. James L. Hall, with whom he was subsequently
engaged in the practice until lS5:i, thereafter engaging
in practice alone. He entered llu- hk ilical depart-
ment of the University of Buffalo, from which institu-
tion he was graduated in 1864. Immediately following
his graduation he was elected a member of the board
of curators of his alma mater and is still a member of
that board. Returning to North East, he resumed the
practice of his profession, in which he has ever since
been engaged, making a specialty of surgery and treat-
ment of lung diseases. He has been the surgeon at
North East for the Lake Shore and Michigan



Southern R. R. for more than twenty-five years.
He has been president of the Erie County Med-
ical Society, president of the Medical Society of
Southwestern New York and a member of the Penn-
sylvania State Medical Society and of the National
Medical Association. Dr. Loop has given largely of
his time in the interests of good local government,
holding the office of burgess for several terms, serving
as school director for two terms and as a member of
the council for ten or twelve years. Dr. Loop was
thrice noble grand of the I. O. O. F., and has held all
the lodge offices of that order except that of guard.
He is a member of Mystic Lodge, of Erie, Knights of
Honor, and in Masonry is a member of Chapter, Coun-
cil and Knight Templar. He was married January 10,
1850, to Rebecca, daughter of the late Cyrus and De-
lilah Dolph, of Grahamville, Erie countv. Pa. Mr.
Dolph died in 1854, his wife in 1852. Mrs. Dr. Loop
died March 14, 1894. She had two children, Alice
Amelia and Carrie A. Alice A. Loop married Allen
D. Husted, of the insurance firm of C. B. Armstrong
& Co., of Buffalo, N. Y. Mrs. Husted died March 1,
1890, leaving one child, Dennis W. Husted, a student.
Miss Carrie A. Loop resides with her father at 27
East Main street. North East. Dr. Loop has been a
member of the Methodist Church of North East for
more than forty years, for thirty-five years of that
period having official connection with it.

Clark D. Jameson, North East, Pa., was born at
Hamburg, Erie county, N. Y., April 5, 1823. His par-
ents were Hugh and Susannah (Moore) Jameson, na-
tives of New England, the former of Scotch-Irish
descent. Clark D. Jameson received but little school-
ing, beginning when 12 years ot age to assist in clear-
ing up his father's farm in Brant and continuing to
work on that farm until 18 years of age, when he came
to North East and engaged with the firm of Chapel &
Perkstaff in learning cabinetmaking. In 1850 he em-
barked for himself as a manufacturer of furniture and
coffins, establishing in connection therewith an under-
taking business, which he has ever since conducted,
and in which he is now exclusively engaged, having in
1888 sold out the furniture manufacturing branch. He
is associated in business with his stepson, James B.
Stull. Mr. lamestm was married September 7. 1848,
toEli/.i,.laii>4hter..f M.iniirl Ilrnshaw. ..f I rir r.nintv,
New ^,.rk. Mrs. I.imcson ,lir,l llrtnhn- 17, Isr.S, 1, ■,,;•-



Goodrich, formerly a phutogra|.lKr of North East, and
Lillie Adelia, now wife of Byron Munson, who is en-
gaged in the baking business at Pasadena, Cal. Mr.
Jameson married Desember 11, 1862, Lorency S.
(Beebe) Stull, whose only son, James B., is mentioned
above as the business associate of Mr. Jameson. Mrs.
Lorency Jameson died February 12, 1889. Since Mr.
Jameson's embarkation in business as funeral director
ten different firms and individuals have attempted to
compete with him, but this firm is the only one en-
gaged in the undertaking business at the present
time. He resides at the corner of Lake and Clay
streets and is a member of the Methodist Church.

William Frankland Allison, proprietor of the
Brawley House, and the oldest living man native of
North East, was born July 25, 1829. He is a son of the
late David and Elizabeth (Mills) Allison, the former a
native of North East township and of Scotch descent



834



NELSOJTS BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONART



and the latter a native of Hamilton, Ontario, and of
English descent. David Allison'sbusiness throughout
life was that of hotel keeping. He was for many years
proprietor of the Central House and later of the North
East (now Brawley) House. He was a man of consid-
erable local importance, holding numerous offices and
serving a number of years as colonel in the State
militia. He died in 1852, surviving his wife several
years. William F. Allison had a common school edu-
cation, was associated with his father in the hotel busi-
ness at an early age and has been continuously en-
gaged in that Ime nearly sixty years. He was married
in 1860 to Antionette, daughter of the late Richard
Brawley, former proprietor of the Brawley House. Mrs.
Allison died in 1874, leaving one child, Lizzie wife of
Frederick J. Carpenter, of the firm of Bingham &
Carpenter, hardware merchants of North East.

George Henry Femald was born m Monroe
township, Ashtabula county, July 8, 1864. He is the
son of the late Moses and Ellen E. (Hooker) Fernald,
the former a native of Ohio, and of American de-
scent; the later a native of New York and of American
descent. Moses Fernald died in 1894; his widow re-
sides in Chautauqua county. New York. George H.
Fernald was educated in the public schools of Find-
ley's Lake, and then took a commercial course at
Clark's Business College, Titusville, Pa. He learned
the tinner's trade, after which he embarked in the in-
surance business in Findley's Lake, and in con-
junction therewith conducted a hardware business for
three years. He sold out his interests in Findley's
Lake, and April 1, 1891, removed to North East, where
he became associated as traveling salesman with the
Scouller Milling Company. A year later he purchased
George Hampson's and B. C. Spooner's fire insurance
business, and conducted that until July, 1893, when he
became secretary and treasurer of The Alfred Short
Company. Upon the organization, November 20, 1S!I8,
of the Columbian Novelty Company, incnri.i.ratr.l, Mr.
Fernald became its president and gciur.il iii,in:iL;( r.
He was married May 9, 1887, to Belle, d.ni^ht. i ..f ihe
late Robert Skellie, of Findley's Lake. .Mr. and .Mrs.
Fernald have one child, Russell G., reside on South
Lake street, and attend the Methodist Church. Mr.
Fernald is a member of the Mason's order, I. O. O. F.
and the Royal Arcanum.

Rev. Farrell Briody was born near Kilnaleck,
County Cavan, Ireland. He was educated in the pub-
lic schools of his native county, and then took a four
years' classical course at Ballymacue, under a private
tutor. In 1866 he came to thS United .States and en-
tered St.-Bonaventure's College, Alleganv. N. V., and,
upon the completion of his theological -itMilJis. was,
in 1873, ordained priest for the diocese nl I'.ii.-, I.ir
which he had been adopted two years pri\ ams liy tlir
Rt. Rev. Tobias Mullen. He was apiKunled tu the
charge of St. Gregory's, North East, and St. John's,
Girard, and, with headquarters at Erie, attended these
congregations upon alternate weeks for four years. In
1877 he located at North East, where he had in the
meantime succeeded in adding materially to the con-
gregation, enlarged and remodelled the church edifice,
purchased property adjoining the church, improved
that property, and bought property and established
the Catholic cemetery, three miles west of North East.
Father Briody 's present charge includes North East,



Moorheadville, Harbor Creek, Swanville, Fairview,
Girard and Springfield, numbering in all about 12()
families.

Michael Edward Cluiie, proprietor of the Palace
Hotel, North East, Pa., was born in County Clare, Ire-
land, August 7, 1863. He is a son of the late Patrick
and Hannah (Cullen) Clune, natives of County Clare,
who came to the L'nited States early in 1864, and lo-
cated in Boston, Mass. Mr. Clune immediately en-
listed in a Massachusetts regiment, in which he served
until the close of the war. In 1866 he removed his
family to Oil City, Pa., where he was engaged in the
cooper's business until 1868, removing "thence to
Tionesta, Pa., where he was engaged in the same busi-
ness until 1874. The following year he spent in
Europe. He then re-located at Oil City, Pa., where
he died in 1885. His wife died in 1869. Michael E.
Clune completed his education at St. John's College,
Buffalo; was first engaged in the hotel business as
clerk at the Petroleum House, Oil City; was for ten
years thereafter connected with the L-nited States Ho-
tel at Franklin, Pa., and for the following four years at
the Wilson House, Erie, Pa., and in October, 1893,
came to North East to assume the proprietorship of
Short's Palace Hotel. He was married July 20, 1891,
to Miss Anna McMinnamon, of Franklin, Pa. Mr.
and Mrs. Clune are communicants of St. Gregory's.
Mr. Clune is a member of the Catholic Mutual Benefit
Association.

Samuel Smith Hammond was born at Canan-
daigua, X. V., Aui^iist 31, 1.S17. He is a son of the late
David anil Drhnrah (Joncsi Hammond, the former a
native of New Haven', Conn,, and the latter of Canan-
daigua, N. Y. David Hammond was a farmer, who
came with his family to Erie county, Pennsylvania,
late in the winter of 1821, traversing the ice of Lake
Erie by ox-team sledge from Buffalo to Barcelona, and
from the latter place through the woods to Harbor
Creek township, where he purchased a farm and con-
tinued to reside until his death, in 1825. His widow
married Robert Hampson about 1827, and removed
immediately thereafter to North East township, where
she died in 1890. After his mother's second marriage,
Samuel S. Hammond had his home until his 15th year
with John McCord, a farmer of North East township.
He then learned the trade of iar|. enter and joiner at
Gibsonville (now North l-'ast), witli the late Benjamin
R. Tuttle, with whom he rcniained until he attained his
majority. He then entered into the carpentry busi-
ness for himself, and continued to be so engaged until
1856, building the majority of the dwelling houses
erected at North East during that period. From 1866
to 1860 he was postmaster at North East, running a
general store in connection therewith. In 1860 he
spent a season in the gold regions of Colorado; re-
turning thence, he was made station agent at North
East, and was employed in that capacity for five yeaft.
In 1865 he was elected to the office of justice of the
peace for the borough of North East, a position to
which he was re-elected at intervals, and is now the
incumbent in the twentieth year of his service. He
has also served the borough as a member of its coun-
cil and school board for several terms each, and as its
burgess for one term. He was married in March,
1839, to Sena, daughter of the late John Dunton, then
of Fredonia, N. Y., later of North East township,



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUJUTY.



835



where he died. Mrs. Hammond died in 1884, leaving
three children: John (whose personal history is con-
tained m this volume), William and Cynthia A. One
child, Rush, died when 17 years of age. William Ham-
mond resides in North East. Cynthia A. Hammond
married John S. Paden, of North East. Mr. and Mrs.
Paden have two children, John and Frederick, the for-
mer in the dry goods business in New York city, the
latter a telegraph operator in Connecticut. Mr. S. S.
Hammond resides with his children, Mr. and Mrs.
Paden, 36 South Lake street.

Rev. Benjamin Ettgene Hillman was born in
Sandusky, Cattaraugus county, N. Y., June 19, 1848.
He is a son of the late Benjamin and Lucy A. (Mark-
ham) Hillman, both natives of New York. The Hill-
man family is descended from one of the earliest set-
tlers of Martha's Vineyard. The late Benjamin Hill-
man was one of the prominent merchants of San-
dusky, N. Y., where he held numerous positions of
public trust, among them, and for a period of thirty-
six years, that of town clerk. He died in Sandusky in
October, 1873. His widow is now a resident of Inde-
depence. Mo. Benjamin E. Hillman received his
initial schooling in Sandusky, and then took a course
in academics at Ten Broeck Free Academy, Frank-
linville, N. Y. Determining upon the ministry as his
profession, he entered Rochester Theological Sem-
inary, where he had spent but one year, when failing
health and the decease of his father led to his
temporarily abandoning his seminary course. In 1873
he was ordained to thi- P.a|itist ministry while pastor
at Belfast, Allegany cmintv, X. \., and remained with
his charge until IsTr.. Mr was next pastor of the
Church at Springville, Erie county, N. Y., where he
remained for three years, and for one year following
this, filled the pulpit at East Aurora. In 1879 he re-
sumed his course at Rochester Theological Seminary
and was graduated from that institution with the class
of '82. Prior to his graduation he had accepted a call
to the Franklinville Baptist Church, with which charge
he remained until the spring of 1887, when he resigned
to accept a call to the pastorate of the Baptist Church
of North East, Pa. He resigned this charge October
1, 1894, and retired from the pastorate, and has since
devoted his attention to grape culture and other farm-
ing and business interests. He was one of the foun-
ders and is manager of the Acme Electric Light and
Power Company of North East. He was for four
years a member of the school board, serving one year
as presiding officer and three years as secretary of
that body. He was married to Belle, daughter of the
late William Thurber, of Olean, N. Y. Rev. and Mrs.
Hillman reside at the corner of South Lake and Eagle
streets. Dr. Hillman is a member of the Masonic
order, and of the A. O. U. W.

Rev. Theodore Charles Beach was born in
Bristol, Conn., February 21, 1841. He is a son of the
late Charles and Mary (Granniss) Beach, natives of
Connecticut, the former of Scotch, the latter of En-
glish descent. Charles Beach was a manufacturer,
and was for many years engaged in business in Bris-
tol, where he died in 1894. Theodore C. Beach com-
pleted his education at the Wesleyan University, Mid-
dletown. Conn., from which institution he was gradu-
ated with the class of 1866. The same year he joined
the New York East Conference of the Methodist



Episcopal Church, and was connected therewith for
the succeeding twenty-five years, during that period
holding successively the pastorates of the Methodist
Churches at Unionville, Conn., Roslyn, N. Y., North-
port, N. Y., Southold, N. Y., Great Neck, N. Y., and
Reading, Ridgefield, Winstead, and Plainville, Conn.
In the fall of 1889 Dr. Beach was transferred to the
Erie Conference and stationed at Meadville, Craw-
ford county. Pa., in charge of the First Methodist
Episcopal Church of that place, where he remained
for three years. He was then called to the Methodist
Episcopal Church of North East, Pa. He was mar-
ried September 5, 1865, to Luanna F., daughter of the
late Charles Merritt, a farmer of Williamsburg. Dr.
and Mrs. Beach have four children: Bertha Louise,
Grace Lillian, Lulu Frances and Theodore Merritt
Beach. The family reside at 21 Park street. Dr.
Beach is a member of the Masonic order, the Ancient
Order of United Workmen, and the Junior Order of
the United American Mechanics.



Lee Granger was born in Portland, Chautauqua
county, N. Y., March 18, 1845. He is a son of the late
David and Juline (Webster) Granger, natives of
New York. He received his education in the public
schools of his native county and then went to the oil
(.ountry, where he was employed in drilling until 1871,
when he located in North East, Erie county. Pa., where
he has since resided. He was for one year proprietor
of a bakery and later conducted a meat market in
North East, and for one year was engaged in the same
business at 1213 State street, Erie. He is superin-
tendent of the Heat and Light Company, North East.
Mr. Granger was married Novembers, 1872, to Sabina
E., daughter of the late George W. and Elizabeth
(Cochran) Law. George W. Law, who died in 1853,
was a native of North East township. His father,
Joseph Law, located in Erie county early in the cen-
tury and died in 1851, aged 81 years. Elizabeth
(Cochran) Law was born in North East township in
1825, where .she resided throughout her life and up to
her decease, November 5, 1895. She was a daughter
of the late Richard Cochran, who came from Ireland
and was one of the early settlers of Erie county. Mr.
and Mrs. Lee Granger reside at 46 South Lake street,
and are members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr.
Granger is a member of the Masonic order.

Dyer Loomi» was born in North East township
October 1, 1810. He is a son of the late Dyer and
Na'ncy (Wood) Loomis, the former a native of Con-
necticut, the latter of Rhode Island. Dyer Loomis,
sr., went to Erie county in 1796 to join his brother
Henry, who had located there the previous year. They
took up a tract of land (tract 164) from the Population
Company of 400 acres, in what is now North East
township, adjoining the present borough of North East
on the east. It was upon a portion of this tract that
Dyer Loomis, jr., was born, still resides, and in whom
title vests as heir of the original purchaser. Dyer
Loomis, sr., was an esteemed and honored citizen, and
held numerous offices in the early history of the town-
ship; was its first constable and the first deputy sheriff
of the county. He died in 1842, surviving his wife
four years. His son. Dyer, was reared on" the farm,
receiving such education as the early schools afforded,
and becoming a teacher at the age of 18, taught four



836



NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTION ABT



years during the winter season in the township schools,
and for one summer in the borough. He then com-
pleted his own education, taking a term each at the
VVorthington and Milan (O.) academies. Returning
to North East and finding his father in feeble health,
he assumed the cares of the farm, which he subse-
quently inherited. He was married in May, 1839, to
Eliza M., daughter of the late Thomas Robinson, one
of the pioneer settlers and the first justice of the peace
of North East township. She died in November, 1867,
and Joseph W. Loomis, ex-prothonotary of Erie
county, died in January, 1896. Other deceased chil-
dren, Lamartine L. and Mary E., both died in the
winter of 1862, the former of typhoid fever, con-
tracted through exposure while serving as a soldier in
the war of the Rebellion, and the latter from the same
disease, contracted while nursing her brother. Joseph
W. Loomis was also a soldier in the late war, and it was
because of letters written by him from the front, pre-
dicting a long continued struggle, asserting that many
thousands of additional troops would be required, and
asking what North East would do in the extremity,
that led his father, then (1862) 52 years of age, to assist
in raising a company, efforts to accomplish which had
been unsuccessfully made by several patriotic citizens.
Through his personal popularity and the confidence
which he enjoyed in the community. Dyer Loomis suc-
ceeded in two weeks in enlisting a full company and
twenty additional men, and as its captain was sent to
the front with the 145th P. V.I. He was made prisoner
at Chancellorsville and taken to Libby Prison, from
which he was paroled in bad health, which led to his
discharge and return home a little more than a year
after his enlistment. In addition to his farming
interests, Mr. Loomis has had identification with both
the mercantile and manufacturing interests of North
East. For several years before the war and there-
after to 1878, he was engaged in the manufacture of
brick, and during this period built the great majority
of the brick dwellings and other brick structures in
the. borough and township of North East. He estab-
lished a harness manufactory, which he conducted for
nine years, and was, from 1870 to 1886, proprietor of a
shoe store in North East. He was for thirty-five years
a justice of the peace for Erie county at North East,
seven consecutive terms, from 1846 to 1880, and was
then appointed notary public, holding that office for
three terms, up to 1891. Mr. Loomis has been a mem-
ber of the Presbyterian Church since December, 1831,
has been a member of the board of trustees of that
church for many years, and one of the elders since
November, 1894. He is permanent clerk of the con-
gregation and clerk of the session, and was for more
than twenty years superintendent of the Sunday
school. He was a member of the first temperance so-
ciety formed in North East, known as the North East
Temperance Society, an organization that was founded
in 1830, by Dyer Loomis, sr., and six associates. Dyer
Loomis, jr., has throughout his life devoted himself
steadfastly to the best interests of the community,
lending always especially active service to the cause of



Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 171 of 192)