Copyright
Benjamin Whitman.

Nelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r online

. (page 179 of 192)
Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 179 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


came from Kin-sMlle, Ashtabula county, O., in 1860,
and learned tin (.npenter's trade, which vocation he
hassiiue lollowed 111 his present location in West
Springfield. In l^.M) he married Elizabeth, daughter
of Abel Lockwood, an old and priminent resident of
Conneaut, O. This union has been blessed with the
following children: Ida (deceased), Arthur, Lottie,
Harriet, Charles and Mary.

Charles H. Whiton, farmer, West Springfield,
Erie county. Pa., was born in the township in which he
now resides in the year 1862. He is a son of Rev. Ed-
ward and Theresa (Dewey) Whiton, life-long residents
of Springfield town.ship, and natives of New England.
Edward Whiton was for years a local preacher, regu-
larly oi-d.iinid bv the authorities of the ,M. K. Church.
His death took ]d.i. e April 19, 1890, His widow sur-
vives, and resides with her son, Charles, on the home-
stead farm. She is a daughter of the late J. U. Dewey,
a native of Vermont, who took an active part in the
late Rebellion, and for seven years was a resident of
Springfield township. Abijah Whiton, grandfather of
Charles, was the first of this family to settle in Erie
county. He, with his wife, Rachael Remington, came
from the east and settled on the Ridge road about
1820. They first settled in Pierpont, Ashtabula county,
O., and later located on a 160-acre farm on what is
known as the Ridge road in Springfield township. He
came to the locality early in 1807 from iVIassachusetts
with his household effects drawn by an ox-team, and
loaded on a cart. This denizen of the forest for many
years hauled wood to Conneaut Harbor, and was thus
able to gain a livelihood for himself and family, and
lay by in store a comfortable nest-egg for his posterity.
In those days he was compelled to take grain forty
miles, the nearest milling point. Charles H. Whiton,
is the youngest of a family of five children, as follows:
Ellen, wife of Calvin Johnson, Springfield township;
William, West Springfield; Marietta, wife of Joseph
Johnson, Conneaut, O.; Belle, wife of Horace G.
Thayer, West Springfield, and Charles H., who, No-
vember 12, 1887, was married to Miss May, eldest
daughter of Cyrenus and Mary Thompson, of Con-
neaut, O. To' this union has been two children.
Charles H. Whiton, began life as an active farmer in
1882, and purchased in co-partnership with his brother,
William, the Caughey farm, and after six years of sue-



NELSON' 8 BIOORAPEICAL DICTIONARY



cessful farming disposed of the same and located on
his present farm. In township affairs he has been an
important factor, and is at present tax-collector.

George C Gates, notary public, West Springfield,
Erie county, Pa., was born in 1833, in Harbor Creek,
Erie county. Pa., where he resided until 1867, when he
moved to West Springfield, where he has since resided.
He is a son of Alonzo and Emily Gates, natives of
New York State. The former died in the year 1832,
and the latter in 1873. October 3, 1855, Mr. Gates
married Julia G., daughter of Ralph and Lucy
(Barnes) Bostwick, natives of Plymouth, Conn. The
former came to Springfield in 1853, and died in 1872.
His wife died in 1853. Mr. Gates learned the trade of
carriage-making, which he successfully follciwed for
many years, until other and more important duties,
together with impaired health, compelled an abandon-
ment of this vocation. Many of the additions and
devices, the work of his own hands, adorn and orna-
ment his home. Being a man of determination and
untiring energy, he has been foremost in public enter-
prises, and a prominent citizen. He was appointed
notary public, and also has an insurance agency for
the locality. In June, 1892, after having served seven
years as secretary, he was elected Granil Captain of
the Grand Camp of State Police and Home Guards of
Pennsylvania and Ohio, which nftice he held until
June, 1895.

Orange S. HHatley, farmer, West Springfield,
Erie county. Pa., is a native of Pierpont, Ashtabula
county, O., and was born May 20, 1822. He is a son
of Orrin and Charity Huntley, natives of Massachu-
setts and Connecticut respectively, who came West
about 1826 and settled in Erie county. Orange is the
second child of a family of six children. Orrin Hunt-
ley was a prominent farmer and citizen, and a soldier
in the Revolutionary war. He died April 15, 1865,
aged 69 years, and his widow died March 29, 1890,
age 91 years. In 1845 Orange S. Huntley was mar-
ried to Clarissa R. Carter, a daughter of Franklin H.
and Clarissa Carter, late residents of Conneaut, Ohio.
The former was a citizen of prominence and a native
of New Hampshire; he died in 1864; the latter a na-
tive of \'ermont, who died in 1841. This union has
been blessed with six children, as follows: Ellen M.,
wife of AHiirt W. Wass, Marshalltown, Iowa; Frank-
lin C, N.hraska; Myron H., Cherry Hill; Clara
Louise, \mIC 111 W. Jay Sherman, West Springfield;
Emma R., wifr nf Hiram Armstrong, living m DeWitt,
Neb.; and Lizzie C, wife of Perry Jerrils, West Spring-
field. Mr. and Mrs. Huntley are prominent members
of the M. E. Church at West Springfield. They have
lived a life of usefulness, which is characterized by
many worthy deeds and thoughtf ulness for others. M r.
Huntley has been a life-long Republican. The fol-
lowing family history of the Huntleys, written by Mrs.
D. W. Brown, of Cherry Hill, this county, will prove
interesting in this connection: "Our greatgrandfather
came from Wales, with two sons, Amos and Daniel
Huntley, and died on ship board, leaving the two boys
to propagate their name across the sea. Nothing is
known of Daniel. Amos lived in Massachusetts, where
he landed as a bound boy until he reached his ma-
jority, after which he married a maiden named Cook.
Fourteen children were born to this union. He set-
tled in Pierpont, when there were only four families



in the town. He served in the Revolutionary war,
and was paid off in Continental money, which at that
time had no value, so he raked over the coals and
burned over $300 of it. That kind of money was after-
ward redeemed. The children were Amos, William,
Elisha, Ezekiel, James, Orrin and Hiram. The girls
were Lydia, Sylvia, Sybil, Lois, Lucy and Nancy.
Grandfather lived to be 83 years old. Amos, the
namesake of his grandfather, was given his time at the
age of 20 years. He went on foot to New York State,
and hired out for one year at ¬І10 per month. He
afterward married the sister of his employer. When
Elisha became of age he went and joined the elder
brother, and they together bought 100 acres of land.
Afterward William came, and Lydia, their oldest sis-
ter, kept house for them. William and Lydia died of
typhoid fever. Amos married Adah Pardee in 1805.
Grandfather claimed one-half the property, and being
dissatisfied, he sold out and came to the Holland Pur-
chase, where he improved a large farm, built and run
a sawmill and distillery, owned and run a canal boat,
and had many men in his employ. He died in 1829.
Seven children were born to this son, two of whom are
living. James married Lydia Hart and lived on the
old homestead. He raised five children, all of whom
settled near him. except William, who went some
years at;., t.. C.ilifornia. Ezekiel bought a farm in
Monroe; he married Minerva Brooks and raised a
family of eight children. Orrin was married in 1818
to Charity Blakesley. He first settled in Pierpont,
but sold his place in 1842, and moved to Conneaut,
Pa., where he passed the remainder of his life, and
died at the age of 69 years. The family consisted of six
children. Orange, his twin brother, died when com-
paratively a young man, leaving a wife and one child.
Hiram also died quite young, leaving two daughters.
Of the girls one married Simon Forbes, one a Mr.
Campbell; Nancy married Elisha Knapp. Of the
descendants of these several families there are now
represented Amos, Ezekiel, James, Orrin and Hiram;
of the girls, Lucy and Nancy."

Harlow D. Norton (deceased) was born in Mon-
roe, Ashtabula county, O., and was a son of Albert A.
Norton, a prominent citizen of Pierpont, Ashtabula
county, O., who died in August, 1885. Harlow was
married in 1862 to Sarah C, daughter of Isaac Aldrich,
of Pierpont, Ashtabula county'^ O. Their children
are: Olive, wife of M. E. Carbary, of Conneaut, O.;
Leroy H. Norton, West Springfield, and A. A. Norton,
West Springfield. Mr. Norton died March 11, 1892.
His widow survives, and, together with her sons, oc-
cupy and run the farm upon which they have resided
for several years. Mr. Norton served several terms
as constable, and was prominent in township affairs.

George T. Steenberg, proprietor of the planing-
mill, West Springfield, Erie county, Pa., is a native of
Syracuse, Onondaga county, N. Y., and was born in
1847. He is a son of I. F. Steenberg, also a native of
the Empire State. George came to Springfield in
1863, and began in the milling business in 1871 in
Conneaut, Ashtabula county, O. In 1875 he came to
East Springfield, where he conducted a similar busi-
ness until 1882, when he purchased his present site,
and erected the steam mill, located on what is known
as Eagley road, and which he has since conducted. It
embraces a planing-mill and feed-mill, and he does a



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUJSTr.



S63



general milling business, which has been carried on
successfully. This enterprising gentleman has not
only been foremost in this undertaking but in several
measures of local importance. In 1868 he married
Miss Rose A., daughter of John D. Gerrerd, a native
of Vermont, who died in 1873. Two children have
been born to them: Glenna A. and James G. Steen-
berg. George T. Steenberg is a member of Ever-
green (Conneaut) Lodge, No. 222, F. & A. M., Jr. O.
U. M. VV. and State Police.

G. J. Shermaii, teacher, West Springfield, Erie
county. Pa., was born June 3, 1876. He is a son of \V.
Jay Sherman, who resides at what is known as the
Centre. This gentleman is a son of Anson B. Sher-
man, who was born in 1806, and with his parents came
to West Springfield township, and engaged in the
mercantile business in what was called, in honor of
the family, Sherman Corners. He ran a general store
for some thirty years. He died September 6, 1888,
having been a resident of Springfield for sixty-two
years. His father. Ware J. Sherman, was the first of
the family to come to the township. Anson was mar-
ried in 1835 at Attica, N. Y., to Miss Angelina Gray,
with whom he lived fifty-three years. To them were
born three children: Charles, a resident of Kansas
City, Mo.; Dr. J. A., of Cherokee, la., and William
Jay, father of G. J. Sherman. W. J. Sherman was
married June 17, 1875, to C. Louise Huntley, daughter
of O. S. Huntley. Two children have blessed this
union: G. J. and Lena L. G. J. began teaching in
1893, in Springfield township, and was educated at
West Springfield Academy and the Edinboro State
Normal Scho



Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 179 of 192)