Copyright
Benjamin Whitman.

Nelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r online

. (page 183 of 192)
Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 183 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


identified with the Democratic party and is a member
of the Catholic Church. Fred E. Warner, junior
member of this firm, was born November 11, 1859, in
Clyde, N. Y., was reared and educated in Union City,
and after leaving school he entered the employ of
Nelson Waters, who was at that time a hotel proprie-
tor, and worked for him two years, going from there
to the Johnson House with Mr. Hallenbeck for two
years. In 1884, in partnership with Chris. Barr, he
conducted the St. Charles Hotel until 1886, when this



876



NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY



partnership was dissolved and the present partner-
ship with Mr. Tansey, formed. Mr. Warner's experi-
ence in the hotel business, together with his genial
disposition, makes him popular with all who meet
him, whether in a business or a social way. He is ever
ready to contribute to the comfort of the guests and
patrons of the house. In politics he is a staunch
Democrat.

James Parsons, retired, is the head of his branch
of the Parsons family in .A.merica. He was born Sep-
tember 11, 1811, m County Hereford, England, and is
the second in a family of nine children of James and
Elizabeth (Davis) Parsons, natives of England, and of
Saxon descent. James was reared and educated in
England and followed farming until 1844, when he
came to America, settling in Michigan, where he
lived twelve years. In the early days of the California
gold excitement he started for the gold fields by the
overland route and remained there two years, when he
returned to Michigan and moved the family to Erie
county, Pennsylvania, settling in Concord township,
where he operated his large farm until 1884, when he
retired and went to live with his son John. Although
85 years old, he is hale and hearty and reads easily
without glasses. He was married in England to Miss
Ann, daughter of Thomas Roberts. She died July 25,
1879, at the age of 63 years. Eight children were born
to this union: James, Robert and John, born in Eng-
land; Henry, born on the ocean; Selina H., Emily A.,
Myra and Charles, born in America. John was born in
Monmouthshire, England, March 15, 1841, was reared
and educated in Michigan and Pennsylvania, and after
leaving school he worked in the oil regions for four
years. He then returned to Erie county and has fol-
lowed farming and the mason's trade since. In 1868
he purchased his present property, which consists of a
farm of fifty-five acres, which he uses for dairy purposes.
He was united in marriage September 15, 1861, to Miss
Catherine, daughter of Dr. John and Sophia (McDou-
gal) Lilley, natives of New York. To this union have
been born five children: Clarence Arthur, Lilly May,
now wife of Fred Wade of Union City; Frederick E.,
Will F. and Marie A. Will F. graduated from Luce's
Business College June 2, 1891, and has been employed
since in the capacity of clerk in the L'nion City post-
office until October, 1894, when he was appointed dep-
uty postmaster under John C. McLean. Will F. and
Marie A. are both talented singers and are residents
of Union City. The family are members of the Pro-
testant Episcopal Church. Mr. Parsons is a staunch
Republican.

G. Watson Johnson, merchant. Union City, Pa.,
born in Prospect, Oneida county, N. Y., June 16, 1850,
is a son of Garrett B. and Charlotte E. (Hopkins)
Johnson, nativesof Madison county, New York. Garrett
B. Johnson was born December 24, 1822. His father, a
native of Holland, entered the navy as a cabin boy
when 15 years old, rose to the rank of captain, and
fought in the war of 1812. Garrett B. was postmaster
twelve years, and was in the mercantile business nine
years at Prospect, N. Y. He came to L^nion City in
1863 and engaged in the mercantile business, which
he followed for a few years. In 1870 he erected the
Keystone Block, part being fitted for a hotel, which he
conducted successfully for a number of years. He was
married, in 1847, to Charlotte E., daughter of Orange



Hopkins. Their surviving children are: Garrett W.
and C. Edith (now Mrs. Charles E. B. Hunter). Gar-
rett W. received his early training at his birthplace.
At the age of 13 his parents came to Union City, and
he completed his education in the public schools of
the latter place and in Whitestown Seminary, Whites-
town, N. Y. In April, 1871, he associated himself
with Smiley Bros, in a general store at Union City and
a branch store at Lowville, Pa. This partnership was
dissolved, and he opened a store in the Keystone
Block and conducted it successfully alone. Later, his
father, G. B. Johnson, became a partner. This part-
nership lasted until 1883, when G. B. Johnson was suc-
ceeded by Mr. Hunter, at present a member of the
firm. Both gentlemen are thorough business men, and
the house, which employs ten efficient clerks, is one
of the leading concerns of its kind in the State. Mr.
Johnson was united in marriage, September 1, 1880, to
Miss Georgia B., daughter of Frank and Harriett (Mc-
Kinney) Kinnear, natives of Warren county, Pennsyl-
vania. Three children were born of this union: Paul
B., Lillian C. and Karl W. His wife died August 3,
1893, after a protracted illness. Mr. Johnson is a mem-
ber of the I. O. O. F., Knights of Pythias and Royal
Arcanum. He is also a member of the Episcopal
Church. In politics Mr. Johnson has always been
identified with the Democratic party.

Charles E. B. Hunter, merchant. Union City,
Pa., born August 19, 1857, is a son of William and Jane
(Arters) Hunter, natives of Pennsylvania, who were
the parents of nine children: Thomas A., Jared W.,
William M., Mary A., Elizabeth M. (deceased), Jane
E. (deceased), Ellen R., Charles E. B. and Sarah Alice
M. Charles was reared and educated in Emlenton,
Pa., and Baker University, Baldwin, Kan., whither the
family removed when he was 13 years old. After
his school days he engaged in farming and stock
raising successfully until 1881, when he became inter-
ested in the mercantile business in Baldwin, Kan. In
1883 he came to L'nion City, Pa., and became a part-
ner with G. W. Johnson in a large dry goods store.
The store is centrally located in the Keystone Block,
and is one of the most extensive concerns in Erie
county, carrying, in addition to dry goods, a complete
line of boots and shoes. Mr. Hunter is a thoroughly
practical business man, and any enterprise he under-
takes turns out a success. He is one of Erie county's
most progressive business men, and is always inter-
ested in the welfare of Union City, where he is gener-
ally and favorably known. He was united in mar-
riage, November 30, 1881, to Charlotte Edith, daughter
of Garrett B. and Charlotte (Hopkins) Johnson, na-
tives of New York. Two children have been born to
this union: Edith Ethel and Charles Kenneth J. Mr.
Hunter is identified with the Republican party; he is
a member of Eureka Lodge, F. & A. M., of Union
City; Temple Chapter, No. 215, of Erie; Jerusalem
Council, No. 33, Mt. Olivet Cqmmandery, No. 30, K.
T., Erie; Pennsylvania Consistory, S. P. R. S., 32d
degree, Pittsburg, Pa.; Zem Zem Temple, A. A. O. N.
M. S., Erie; Clement Lodge, No. 220, I. O. O. F.; Nin-
evah Encampment, I. O. O. F., and Royal Arcanum.
Jared W. Hunter, brother of Charles, and a resident
of Union City, was born in Venango county March 10,
1838, was educated at his birthplace and Allegheny
College. After completing his education, he followed
teaching several years, and in 1861 engaged in the



AND MISTOBICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE OOUJSTy.



877



lumber business in Warren county, following it until
1864, when he engaged in the oil business in Tidioute
for one year, and then went into the mercantile busi-
ness there; and in 1869 he came to Union City and
became interested in the manufacture of pumps, and
later added a planing mill. He operated these indus-
tries until 1886. Mr. Hunter is a member of the I. O.
O. F. and belongs to the Masonic order.

Richard Shreve was a son of Colonel William
Shrt-ve, nf liDriliiitiiwn, N. J., who served seven years
under \\a.shiiit;t(in. Richard, sr., was born September
22, 176U, and his wife, Margaret, daughter of Thomas
and Ann Neubole, was born May 26, 1760. They were
the parents of thirteen children, namely; William,
Baizilla, Thomas, Ann, Israel, Charlotte, Richard, jr.,
Caleb, Benjamin, Charles, Isaac, Sarah and Margaret.
Richard and his wife moved from Fayette county,
Pennsylvania, in 1798, and settled in Bloomfield town-
ship, Crawford county, then a vast wilderness. It was
here that this sturdy pioneer raised his family and
cleared a farm. He died September 12, 1822. Richard
Shreve was a miller by trade, and was at one time in
the employ of George Washington, operating a mill
for him. Richard Shreve, jr., fifth son of Richard
Shreve, purchased land in Union township, Erie
county. Pa., and until his death, February 10, 1872,
followed farming. He held many offices of trust
during his life in Union township. The children of
Richard and Margaret (Kepler) Shreve were as fol-
lows: Lucinda (deceased), Josiah, Eliza (deceased),
James, John K. (deceased), Solomon, Emily (deceased),
Amos (deceased), Matilda, Milton (deceased), Rufus
(deceased), Mary J. and Melissa. Josiah Shreve, the
eldest son in this family, was born December 22, 1822,
in Union, Erie county, Pa., where he was reared and
educated. At the age of 21 years he went to Warren
county, Pennsylvania, and engaged in lumbering for
one year, and going from there to Centerville, he
operated a saw-mill for two years. He also lumbered
about a year at Riceville, and ran the river to Pitts-
burg. At the age of 24 years he purchased a tract of
timber land in Union township, consisting of 100 acres,
and by hard work and perseverance has cleared it all
and made it one of the best farms in the county. Mr.
Shreve has held many township offices, and has
always been known to discharge his duty faithfully.
He is a man of sound judgment, and a self-respecting
gentleman, whether following the plow or in whatever
position he is placed. He is a leading Granger in the
State, and has done much to promote the interests of
the farmer, always being on the alert to do them a
good turn. He is an honored member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, of which he was a steward for
twenty-five years, and in political matters is independ-
ent. He was married January 6, 1847, to Miss Belle,
daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Mulvin) Carroll,
natives of Erie county. Three children have been
born to this union, namely; Sidney A., now wife of
J. P. Wilkins; George R. (deceased), and Almeda E.,
now wife of O. B. Sherwood. The next son in the
family is James Shreve, who was born September 18,
1825, was reared and educated in Union township, and
has followed farming the greater part of his life.
When a young man he purchased a hne tract of land
of 100 acres, and by perseverance and courage has
cleared and improved it until it is a very valuable
property. He was married December 25, 1849, to



Miss Hannah A., daughter of David Sturgis, of Cat-
taraugus county. Xew Ycrk. Nine children were born
to this union: Clinton J. (deceased), Mary B., Arthur
M., Maggie K.. llattir 1'.. Richard (deceased), Fred
J., John P. antl Kittn-. Mr. Shreve is a Prohibitionist,
and, in 1894, was elected justice of the peace for Union
township. He is a member of the Presbyterian
Church, and has been elder for twenty-five years.
John K., the next in order of birth, was born February
10, 1827, and was reared in Union township, attended
the public schools. He has followed farming the
greater part of his life, although, when young, he did
considerable lumbering. His present farm, which
consists of ninety acres, was cleared and improved by
himself. He was married January 8, 1859, to Miss
Ellen L., daughter of Peter and Mary A. (Gates)
Bellinger, natives of Oneida, N. Y. Six children have
been born to this union; Clemont M., Carry A.,
Emma, Clarence, Gertrude and Clifton. Mr. Shreve
is at this writing serving as school director, and is a
Prohibitionist. Solomon was married to Mary Sturgis,
daughter of David Sturgis, of Cattaraugus county.
New York. Four children were the result of this
union; Frank, Jennie L., George and Minnie. Milton
married Christine, daughter of Rev. Mr. Cross, of
Panama, N. Y. They are the parents of three chil-
dren; Florence, Ralph and Clyde. Rufus was mar-
ried to Adelie Odell, of Erie county. They have
three children; Elbert, William and Bertha.

George Byron Kelley, teacher. Union township,
Erie county, Pa., was born in Stark county, Ohio, in
1869, and is a son of John and Elizabeth (Soule) Kel-
ley. The father was a native of Cattaraugus county,
New York, and the mother of Otsego county. John
Kelley was a carpenter and builder, and soon after his
marriage removed to Stark county, Ohio, where he
worked at his trade and farming until his death, which
occurred October 21, 1870. After the death of Mr.
Kelley the family came to Erie county, Pennsylvania,
and settled in Concord township, where they lived five
years and then went to Ashtabula county, Ohio, where
G. Byron was reared and educated. In the fall of 1884
the family returned to Erie county and purchased
their present property, which consists of seventy-five
acres of improved land. It is a first-class dairy and
stock farm. G. Byron Kelly has followed teaching in
the public schools and is also a skillful musician, mak-
ing a specialty of the piano. He has a large class of
piano pupils. In the spring of 1890 he went to Buffalo,
N. Y., and clerked in a shoe store for two years, but
owing to ill-health he was compelled to give it up.
He, therefore, began teaching, first in the pub-
lic schools of Buffalo and later in Union township. As
a teacher he meets with the highest success, instilling
that confidence in the pupils that always stimulates
and encourages them to earnest study. Mr. Kelley is a
Republican and attends the Presbyterian Church.
Curtin Kelley was born in Grand Valley, Pa., May 10,
1864, and is the sixth in a "family of seven children.
He was reared and educated in Ashtabula county,
Ohio, and has always followed farming, and in 1887
came to Union township and, with G. Byron, purchased
their present property. Curtin was married November
5, 1884, to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Frank Kineer,
of Ashtabula county, Ohio. One daughter has been born
to this union, Ethel G. Mr. Kelley attends the Metho-
dist Episcopal Church. He is a staunch Republican.



SyS



NELSON'S BIOORAPEICAL DICTIONARY



Rev. Kelsey T. Jaqtiay, minister, Ferdinand, Pa.,
was born September 21, 1866, at Sugar Grove, Warren
county, Pa., and is the fourth in a family of five chil-
dren of Theodore P. and Ursula (Alvoid) Jaquay. He
was reared and educated at his birthplace and began
life as a lumberman, working at it from youth up to
1884. He then went into the mercantile business
keeping a general store at Corydon, Pa., for about six
years. In September, 1891, he came to Ferdinand, Pa.,
as supply pastor, and in 1892 entered the Erie annual
conference and was appointed as minister to fill the
present charge for 1893-4. Mr. Jaquay is a pleasant
and affable gentleman, and is devoted to his high call-
ing. He was united in marriage October 10, 1872, to
Miss Alice, daughter of Wilham H. and Maryetta
(Meriahen) Black, natives of Corydon, Pa. They have
three livmg children; Frank, Jennie and Paul. Mr.
Jaquay is a strong advocate in the cause of temperance
and votes the Prohibition ticket.

John Cox (deceased) was born in County Dublin,
Ireland, June 3, 1834, and was the second in a family
of five children of John and Catherine (Archibald)
Cox, natives of Ireland. John was reared and edu-
cated in his native place, and in 1854 embarked for
America, where he landed safely and settled in War-
ren county, Pennsylvania, where lie followed farming
for six years. In 1858 he came to Union City, where he
lived two years and then purchased the farm about
four miles from the city, where the family now reside.
The farm consists of 10(5 acres of fertile and well-tilled
land. It is used principally for dairy purposes. Mr.
Cox was married August 19, 1858, to Miss Mary,
daughter of John and Nancy (Pohen) McKendren, na-
tives of the County Mayo, Ireland, who came to Amer-
ica in 1841, settling in Union township, among the early
settlers of the county. To this union were born eight
children, namely: John and Thomas (twins), Mary,
now Mrs. Daniel Miller, of Titusville, Pa.; James, who
resides at home; Anna, now Mrs. John McConlogue, of
Center Point, W. \'a..; Nellie, Kate and Margaret (de-
ceased). iVlr. Cox died January 8, 1892, after a short
and severe illness of two weeks. He was stricken with
pneumonia. He was a man of good principles and a
good neighbor, a kind father and faithful husband.
His sudden death was universally regretted. In re-
ligious matters Mr. Cox was a Catholic. Politically
he was a Democrat.

Charles H. Bush, farmer and lumberman. Union
City, Pa., was born December 14, 1840, at Jamestown,
N. Y., and is the elder in a family of two children of
Luther and Maria (Thomas) Bush, natives of New
York. Charles H. was reared and educted in New
York and when 14 years of age came to Union town-
ship, where the father worked as a millwright, car-
penter and cabinetmaker. Charles remained with his
father until 22 years of age, when he went West, visit-
ing most of the States and Territories, and roughing it
for four years. In 1870 he returned to Union town-
ship and engaged in the farming and lumbering busi-
ness, which he has since followed. In 1870 he pur-
chased fifty acres of his present farm and in 1872
bought enough more to make it 117 acres. He has
a fine dairy and stock farm and has been an extensive
cattle dealer. His farm is finely situated and has sub-
stantial buildings on it. Mr. Bush was united in mar-
riage March 11, 1872, to Miss Mary A., daughter of



Samuel Lilley, of Crawford county, Pennsylvania. Mr.
Bush is a member of the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows and is a staunch Republican.

Merrick B. Chamberlin, farmer. Union City,
Pa., was born in Chautauqua county. New York,
August 8, 1830, and is the third in a family of five
children of Eli and Caroline (Barnes) Chamberlin, na-
tives of New York State. When only a lad of 7 years
his parents died and left him on his own resources.
He drifted around, working summers and attending
school winters, until he soon had enough means to take
a course in the Jamestown Academy. After leaving
school he came to Union City and engaged in the cabi-
net-making trade, which he had learned when quite
young, and followed it until about 1853, when he went
to Louisville, Ky., and took a course at the Louisville
Business College. After graduating there he taught
bookkeeping in that city until 1856, when he returned
to Union City and started the first cabinet shop in the
town. He followed that business twelve years, during
which time he served as justice of the peace. In 1873
he was elected a director of the poor of Erie county,
and served three years. In the faithful discharge of
his duties of this office he gained the confidence of
the tax-paying public, as well as the gratitude of the
many unfortunate dependents of his county. In 1879
he went to the oil country and engaged in the milk
business, and remained there three years. In 1881 he
came to LTnion county and settled on the old Smiley
homestead, where he has since resided. He was mar-
ried September 7, 1858, to Jane E., daughter of Moses
and Jane (Thompson) Smiley, one of the oldest and
most respected families in Erie county. Three chil-
dren were born to this union: Emma, now Mrs. Dr.
Smith, Paducah, Ky.; Elmer (deceased) and Blanch,
Mrs. Peter Edwards. Mrs. Chamberlin departed this
life December 1, 1890. Her husband was very much
devoted to her, and her death, although not unex-
pected, was no less a terrible blow to him. Mr.
Chamberlin has always been a Republican, and during
Lincoln's administration was appointed postmaster of
L'nion City, and held said office until Johnson's ad-
ministration. He has, during recent years, been iden-
tified with the Prohibition party.

Anthony M. Holden, farmer, L'nion City, Pa.,
was born in Rockdale township, Crawford county. Pa.,
July 14, 1843, and is the eldest in a family of three
children of Stephen and Sarah (Boyd) Holden, natives
of Pennsylvania. They were the parents of three
children: Anthony, Adalaide B. (deceased) and Lid-
die J. Anthony M. was reared and educated in the
public schools of his birthplace, and was also tutored
by his father, who was a man of education. After his
school days he worked on his father's farm until the
war broke out, when he enlisted September 6, 1864, in
Co. B, 211th P. V. I., under Captain McLane. On
September Ifith Ik- reachrd the seat of war, and par-
ticipated in ihr li.iuksuf Bermuda Hundred, Hatches'
Run, Port Str.ulnuiu, Wiklen Railroad and Peters-
burg. Mr. HiiMcn was a brave soldier, and although
he sustained no wounds, his health was so seriously
impaired that he cannot do much manual labor. He
was mustered out of- the service June 9, 1865, at the
close of the war. He returned to Crawford county
and lived there until 1868, when he came to Erie
county, living in Union City and other places in the



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY.



5/9



county until the spring of 1894, when he purchased his
present farm of seventy-five acres, which is located on
the Wattsburg road. His farm is in excellent condi-
tion, and he uses it chiefly for dairying purposes. Mr.
Holden has been twice married. He was first united
in marriage to Miss Esther, daughter of John and
Martha (Kelley) Jarvis, natives of Crawford county.
Two children were born to this union, Bert and Beryl,
the latter being the wife of George FuUerton. Mrs.
Holden died January 16, 1875, and her death was a sad
bereavement to those who were fortunate enough to be
on terms of intimacy with her. Mr. Holden was again
married August 24, 1890, to Kllen M., daughter of
Jonathan and Julia (Roekwood) I'.irkir, nati\es of New
York. Mr. Holden is a memlxr .if tlir V. ( ). S. of A.
and the Grand Army of the Re|iiililic. in [Militicshe is
a staunch Republican.

John Cupples, farmer, Union Citv, Pa., born in
County Down, Ireland, October 31, 1830, is a son of
Andrew and Mary (Hare) Cupples, natives of Ireland.
The father died in Ireland, and the mother, with her
family, which consisted of four children — Alexander
(since deceased), John, Mary J. and Sarah Ann (since
deceased) — came to America in 1847 and settled in
Waterford township. John remained on the farm un-
til the death of his mother in 1856, when he sold out
and purchased his present farm in Union township.
When he settled on his present place it was a dense
wilderness, which, under the patient application of his
pioneer ax, has been converted into fertile fields of
unexcelled productiveness. The life of this gentle-
man bears testimony, in language not to be misunder-
stood, to what is possible for nien with willing hearts
and hands to accomplish. He was married April 10,
1860, to Miss Susan, daughter of William and Sarah
Middleton, natives of Ireland; the fornur was born
February 11, 1809, in Ireland, and rame to America in
1827, settling on French creek, in Waterford town-
ship, where he reared a large family, and was well
known as one of the leading citizens of the township
during his life. He died October 29, 185.5. Mrs.
Middleton was born April 10, 1819, and came to
America with her parents when 11 years of age. She
settled in Waterford township. After a life of useful-
ness she died September 27, 1864. Mr. and Mrs.
Cupples have six children: Verna, Mrs. Lou Hatch,
of Union City; Genevive, Duluth; Minnie, Iris V., Mrs.
Clark Rice; Curtis, Bertha, Mrs. Sheridan Hamilton,
of North East. Mr. Cupples is a member of the M. E.
Church, and a Prohibitionist. He has been school di-
rector for several terms.

Witliaiti B. Kimball, farmer, Union City, Pa., was
born in Canandagua, Ontario county, N. Y., December
29, 1822, and is a son of Ira and Eliza (Wilds) Kim-
ball, the former a native of Vermont, and the latter of
Massachusetts. William was the only son in a family
of five children. When he was 15 years of age the
family removed to Canandagua county, New York,
where they remained until 1847, when they removed
to Union township and settled on tract No. 135, which
was still a wilderness, where the screech of the wild
turkey and the howling of the wolves were not unfa-
miliar sounds to this hardy pioneer. His heaven of
happiness was to wander through the limitless forest



Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 183 of 192)