Copyright
Benjamin Whitman.

Nelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r online

. (page 184 of 192)
Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 184 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


with his trusty rifle as his companion, and he seldom
returned without a good supply of game. He has



cleared a farm of 110 acres, where he now resides.
His father served in the war of 1812 as a drummer
boy, being but 18 years of age at the close of the war.
Mr. Kimball was married December 13, 1848, to Miss
Salina, daughter of Charles and Aleinda (Fletcher)
Chandler, natives of Connecticut. Salina was the
youngest in a family of seven children: Philetus (de-
ceased), Louisa, Eunice (deceased), George (deceased),
Simon and Elvira (deceased). To Mr. and Mrs. Kim-
ball have been born five children: Eugene, Ella, Mrs.
Henry Avery, Waterford; May, Mrs. Elenezer Mackey,
of Union City; William I., and W. Scott. In politics
Mr. Kimball has always been a staunch Republican,
and has held the offices of .assistant assessor, school
director fifteen years, road commissioner three terms,
constable and tax collector. He is one of the sub-
stantial and enterprising citizens of Erie county.

Heary Dick, farmer, L^nion City, was born in
LeBceuf township, Erie county, September 9, 1836,
and is a son of James M. and Maria (Golden) Dick,
natives of Madison county. New York, lames M.,
with his family, came to Pennsylvania in 1831 and set-
tled in Waterford, and later removed to LeBceuf. In
1855 they removed to L^nion township, where the
father followed farming until his death, October 31,
1859. His wife survives him, and at this writing is 80
years of age, being remarkably active for a woman of
her age, and in appearance is not over 60. This fam-
ily consisted of ten children: David (deceased), Levi,
Henry, Mary A. (deceased), Lorenzo, Ira, Caroline
(deceased), Robert (deceased), Eunice (deceased) and
Sarah J. Henry was reared and educated in Water-
ford township, and, after leaving school, remained at
home until 21 years of age, when he moved to Union
township and purchased a farm. In 1862 he secured
the old Kimball homestead, where he still resides. He
was married March 2, 1862, to Miss Marietta, daugh-
ter of Ira and Eliza Wilds Kimball, of Union town-
ship. Two children have been born to this marriage:
Jennie R., Mrs. M. W. Fairchild, of Union township;
and Harry T. In May, 1861, Mr. Dick enlisted in
Co. H, 83d P. V. I., under command of Colonel Mc-
Lean, of Erie, and was in the service three months.
He is a member of the G. A. R., and a strong advo-
cate of the principles of Prohibition.

Henry S. Roberts (deceased), was born in Che-
mung, N. Y., June 27, 1841, and was a son of Nothern
and Eliza (Hoxie) Roberts, natives of New York. He
was reared and educated at the place of his birth, and
when he was a young man the family moved to
Rochester, N. Y., where he was, in company with his
father, in the lumber business. In 1861 he enlisted in
Co. B, 107th P. V. I., and served through the war with
the same regiment, the lirilliant record of which is too
well known to every student ul uur national history to
be repeated here. Mr. Roberts was with his regiment
in every engagement, and was always found at the
front where the fight was the hottest, and yet, like
many other favored heroes of that great civil conflict,
escaped unscathed, but it was not because he courted
safety or flinched from his duty, even in the darkest
hour of peril. Let it be said of him that " He was a
soldier every inch." He was mustered out of service
in July, 1865, by general order of the war department,
and returned to Rochester, where he resumed his
former business, that of a lumber dealer, which he



JfBLSOJT'S BIOORAPHICAL DICTIONARY



followed until 1873. During the Indian troubles in
the West, about this time, he enlisted in the United
States regular army, and went to the Black Hills,
where he participated in many engagements with the
Indians until the hostilities of the red man ceased for
the time being. In 1879 he started to come home,
but circumstances indicate that he must have died
while on the way to Minnesota. He was married
April 16, 1864 to Miss Frances P., daughter of Green-
leaf C. and Fanny (Dennisun) George, the former a
native of New Haniiishirc and the latter of New
York. Three chililnii liaxc btun iKirn til this union:
Emma L., now wilC nl Samuel I'assmcjre. real estate
agent, Olean, N. V.; litta M. now Mrs. William Rus-
sell, an extensive manufacturer of New York city; and
J. Charles, of Elgin, Pa. Mrs. Roberts was re-married
September 7, 1883, to Alonzo White, one of the pio-
neers, who died January 20, 1891. He was a life-long
member of the M. E. Church, and a prominent Re-
publican.

Carroll Family. — Among the pioneers of Erie
county, no family is moreprominent or more respected
than the Carroll family. Ferdinand Carroll, the first
representative of this family, was born in 1751, in the
northern part of Ireland, and was the youngest of a
large family of children. In his boyhood he was sent
to reside with a wealthy uncle in London, but a fellow
traveler stole his valise, which contained all his clothes
except those he was wearing, and having too much
pride to face his uncle in such a condition, he appren-
ticed himself to a weaver and served seven years at
his trade. At the age of 24 years he was married to
Isabella Johnstone, and they were the parents of
twelve children, six sons and six daughters, one son
and two daughters dying young. The two eldest sons,
upon attaining their majority, determined to seek their
fortunes in America, but Ferdinand, unwilling to part
with his children, decided to emigrate with the family
to the new world. He accordingly sold his life lease
in the land he held for enough to bear his expenses on
the journey, and the whole family, in the spring of
1801, embarked from Dublin to New York in an old
war vessel. The family then consisted of the hus-
band, wife, and ten living children, the eldest, Samuel,
being 25 years of age, and Isabella, the youngest, be-
ing but 2 years old. The latter died of the measles
during the voyage and was buried at sea. The voyage
was a slow and tedious one, and after eight weary
weeks the passengers were landed at New Castle, Del,
instead of New York. The monotony of the journey
was relieved by music rendered by Ferdinand, who
was an excellent player on the violin. The passen-
gers were delighted when land was sighted, and they
were glad to get away from the captain, who was an
arrogant tyrant and was arrested on the arrival of the
vessel in America. Soon after arriving, Ferdinand set
out with his family for Chillicothe, O., and came as far
as Pittsburg, when, hearing of fever and ague at his
intended destination, he gave up the idea of going
there. The inducements held out by the Holland
Land Company, which was to give 100 acres free for
making a settlement and staying five years on a 400-
acre tract, next took his attention, and hearing of such
land situated on the head waters of French creek, a
tributary of the Allegheny, Ferdinand and his two
eldest sons, Samuel and George, started up the river
to Franklin, and finding it hard to decide what part of



the country to settle in, Ferdinand decided to settle it
by chance. He therefore placed a stick on end, as
near perpendicular as possible, and said he would go
whichever way it fell, which was towards Meadville,
for which place he immediately set out. After arriv-
ing at that town he was directed on to LInion, where
he came, and jjurchased from Andrew Halsey the
right of settlement and improvements on tract 159, in
the southwest of Union township. The consideration
was §30 in gold. Ferdinand then returned to Pitts-
burg for his family and household goods. The fam-
ily, with their earthly possessions, were brought from
Pittsburg on horseback, and in due time were installed
in their one-story shanty, built of poles, which was
called by Ferdinand and his family " Castle Halsey."
It was now the fall of 1801, and Ferdinand completed
the settlement of tract 159, and secured a clear deed
to 100 acres, which was left to his youngest son. Will-
iam, who willed it to his fourth son, George W., who
at this writing owns it. Ferdinand was 50 years of
age on arriving at "Castle Halsey," and his family
consisted of his wife and nine living children, namely:
Samuel, George, Phoebe, Jane, Betsey, Mary, James,
Thomas and William. In 1809 he left his farm and
moved to the Moravian grant, near what is now known
as LeBoeuf Station, where he rented a place for a term
of years, but it not proving profitable, he returned to
his own farm, which in the meantime had grown up
with a heavy second growth of timber. In early times
the small timber was cut away and the large timber
girdled and left standing, and when Ferdinand re-
turned he found the large de.i.d trees had blown down
among the young timber, consequently it was harder
to clear than formerly. But he was courageous and
was not easily daunted. He therefore set to work with
a will, and the primeval forest gave way under his
steady strokes to the cleared meadow land. He died
February 1, 1831, at the advanced age of 80 years.
His death was caused by a cancer on the lip. His
wife died in September, 1830, at the age of 70 years.
Samuel settled on French creek, in the Middleton set-
tlement. He died January 28, 1836, at the age of 60,
leaving no issue. George commenced a settlement on
tract l47, but his family were not contented to live in
the woods, and he purchased a farm about two and
one-half miles below Union City, on the creek. He
was the father of seven children: John, James, Mary,
Isabella, Margaret and Hannah. John, who lived near
the old homestead, was the father of eight children:
Frank, Sophia, John, Charles, Maria, Albert and Al-
fred (twins), and Emma. James, the second in this
branch of the family, moved to Iowa. James, son of
Ferdinand, settled near the west hne of Union town-
ship, where he died at the age of 54 years. He was the
father of fifteen children. Thomas, the next son of
Ferdinand in order of birth, settled near the west line
of Union township, and was the father of nine
children. He died at the age of 64 years.
Wesley, the eldest son of Thomas, settled on
a farm his father gave him, and was the father
of seven chddren, three dying in childhood. Wesley's
death occurred in 1879, at the age of 64 years. Jona-
than M. Carroll was born at the old homestead Octo-
ber 2, 1855, and is the fourth in a family of seven chil-
dren of Wesley and Phoebe (Organ) Carroll, the latter
being a native of New York. Jonathan was reared
and educated at his birthplace, and remained at home
until 24 years of age. In 1888 he took possession of



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUBTY.



his present property, consisting of a farm containing
sixty acres, which was willed to him by his father. He
was united in marriage November 15, 1880, to Miss
Olive, daughter of Levi and Mary (Shelmandine)
Barnes, the former a native of New York and the lat-
ter of Philadelphia. Two children have been born to
this union, Clarence E. and Winifred. Mr. Carroll is
a Republican, and has served his township in the
capacity of road commissioner and school director.
The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal
Church. Fletcher S. Carroll, the next in order of
birth in this family, was born at the homestead, where
he now resides, November 27, 1858. He was reared
in LeBceuf township and educated in the public
schools of his birthplace and the Waterford Academy.
After completmg his education he returned to his
home, where he has since followed farming, falling
heir to the old homestead at his father's death, which
consists of 100 acres of well cultivated land, twenty-
five acres being a part of his grandfather's (Thomas
Carroll) estate. In 1884 he began selling milk in
Union City, and rapidly built up a substantial trade,
which he supplies with a first-class article. Mr. Car-
roll was married December 23, 1879, to Miss Alice,
daughter of Levi C. and Mary (Shelmandine) Barnes,
of Union township. Three children have been born
to this union, Wayne, Alta May and Mabel. Mr. Car-
roll is a staunch Republican, and a member of the In-
dependent Order of Odd Fellows. O. W. Carroll,
tailor and clothier. Union City, Pa., is the next son in
order of birth of Wesley and Phoebe (Organ) Carroll.
He was born July 6, 1860, was reared at his birthplace
and educated in the public schools of his native place
and the Waterford Academy. After completing his
education he taught school for two years, and then
came to Union City and purchased the furniture busi-
ness of A. O. Gillett, which he conducted for two
years, selling out at the end of that period, and the
eighteen following months he devoted to trade
throughout the Western States and Mexico. In 1883
he returned to Union City and engaged in the cloth-
ing business with Van Dusen, the firm continuing un-
til 1890, when Mr. Carroll sold out and went into part-
nership with R. R. Lewis under the firm name of
Lewis S: Carroll, and at this writing are conducting a
first-class merchant tailoring establishment. Mr. Car-
roll was married September 15, 1886, to Miss Jennie,
daughter of David Carroll, of Cleveland, Ohio. Four
children have been born to this union: Elsie, Rees,
Cliford and Clifton (twins). Mr. Carroll is identified
with the Republican party, and is a member of the
Masonic order and the I. O. O. F. The family are
members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Samuel
J. Carroll, son of Thomas, lives in Bloomfield, Craw-
ford county. Pa. Jonathan G., the next younger son of
Thomas, lives on a part of the old homestead, and has
two children, Solomon and Rose. The daughters of
this family were Jane, Isabella, now wife of Josiah
-Shreve, and Margaret. William, youngest son of
Ferdinand Carroll, was given the old homestead on
tract 159, and was married to Hannah Slouson in 1820.
Ten children were born to this union: James (de-
ceased), Lucy (deceased), Mary A. (deceased), Lucilla
(deceased), Esther (deceased), Charles S., fatally
wounded at the battle of Fredericksburg, December
13, 1862, and died three days later. He was second
lieutenant of the 145th Reg., P. V. I. David Carroll
(deceased), son of William, who owned part of the old



original tract, No. 159, was married in 1854 to Miss E.
Coventry, who came from England when a child.
They were the parents of seven children, namely:
Ella, Jennie, Rosa, Etta, Fred, Hannah and George.
George W., son of William, is now in possession of the
greater part of the old homestead obtained from the
Holland Land Company for settlement of tract 159.
In 1871 George W. started a cheese factory, which has
been running satisfactorily ever since, and in 1890 a
postoffice was established, and the name of Ferdinand
was chosen, in honor of the pioneer who made the first
settlement on the tract. George W. was united in
marriage in 1863 to Miss Susan A., daughter of Levi
Barnes (one of the pioneers, who came from the east in
1820 and settled south of tract 159, where he died
at 82 years of age). She is a woman of rare
energy and business ability. Jonathan H., second son
of William, lives on part of the homestead. He mar-
ried Antoinette Myers in 1851 ; had three sons and one
daughter: J. Burr, C. Eddie, Lotta (deceased) and Le-
vildia. Esther, youngest child of William, wife of G.
W. Brooks, had two sons, Glenni (deceased at 12),
and George Clifton (deceased at 16). Eliza Jane,
daughter of William, wife of S. B. Brooks, had seven
sons and two daughters: Ashley J., Cassius, Charles S.,
Archibald, ElverdoC, William, George G., Phoebe and
Ruth. Mary, daughter of Ferdinand, never married.
Jane married Jonathan Carroll, of Mercer county,
Pennsylvania; Phoebe married David Middleton, of
Waterford township, Pennsylvania, and Betsey mar-
ried John Richards of Brady's Bend, Pennsylvania.

George W. Brooks, farmer, Union City, Pa., was
born in Harmon, Chautauqua county, N. Y., January 2,
1839, and IS a son of James and Rhoda (Williams)
Brooks, the former a native of Massachusetts, and the
latter of Rhode Island. The family is of Scotch and
German extraction, and were very early settlers in
New England, coming many years before the Revolu-
tionary war. Mr. Brooks is a great grandson of
Colonel Collar, who was a distinguished officer in the
Continental army during the Revolution. Those who
are familiar with some of the minor historic adven-
tures of the Revolutionary heroes will perhaps recall
the incident of Col. Collar's narrow escape from being
captured by the British at the time when American
officers were at a premium in the 'English courts. He
had left his cjuarters for a walk one morning and in
the adventurous manner, which characterized his mili-
tary career he strolled into an old house by the way-
side, when he suddenly found himself surrounded by
red coats, who outnumbered him by at least a half
dozen. "They demanded his surrender, but he did not
understand the meaningof the word " Surrender, " and
immediately seized a large broken bottle which
chanced to be at hand, and being a very tall and mus-
cular man struck right and left with telling effect on
the heads of his would-be captors. Thus he made his
escape and also won a single-handed victory unarmed,
save with the old bottle. James Brooks, sr., great-
grandfather of George W. Brooks, also served
throughout the Revolutionary war as a private, and
James Brooks, jr., his grandfather, was a soldier all
througli the waii.f 1812. George W. Brooks is the
youngest in a family of twelve children. He was
reared in Chautauqua county, N. Y., where he received
his early education, and when 16 years of age the
family removed to LeBffiuf township, and George



NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY



completed his education in the Waterford academy.
He then taught school four winters in LeBoeuf and
Union townships. In April, 1861, he enlisted in Com-
pany H, McLean's Regiment (afterward called the
83rd Reg.) for three months' service. After serving
his time he was mustered out. August 15, 1862, he
re-enlisted in Co. C, 16th Fa. Calvary, under Major
Swan. His first engagement was at Hartford Church,
where they surrounded the Confederate pickets, cap-
turing a large number of them. The next engage-
ment was at Kelley's Ford, where General Averie
took the 2d brigade and 2d division of the cavalry
across the Rappahannock and attacked Stewart at Cul-
pepper. This was the first cavalry engagement on
the continent. The next engagement was atChancel-
lorsville. Then Stony Creek Station, Bull Run (sec-
ond), Gettysburg, Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Five
Forks, Kelley's Ford, Cedar Mountain (cavalry en-
gagement), Aldie(cavalry engagement), Aliddleburgh,
Sulphur Springs, Shepardstown, Mine Run, Ream's
Station, Stony Creek Station, White Oak Swamp and
Malvern Hill; besides numerous minor skirmishes.
Near Saylor's Creek. Mr. Brooks was knocked from
his horse and a squadron of rebel cavaly passed over
him, their horses trampling him severely, injuring his
head and spine, and at Saylor's Creek a bullet grazed
his chin, cutting away a part of his beard. Here he
was taken prisoner and was in the hands of the Con-
federates at the time of Lee's surrender. At Middle-
burg a bullet perforated his cap cutting away a por-
tion of his hair, and on two occasions his horse was
shot dead under him. August 17, 1864, he was ap-
pointed by Andrew Curtin, second lieutenant Co. C,
16th Reg. P. V. Cav., and he held that com-
mission until February, 1865, when he was de-
tailed captain of Co. E, 16th P. V. Cav., and
served in that capacity until he was mustered out by
general order of the war department. The military
record of Captain George W. Brooks speaks for itself,
and he may truly be called a soldier of unmistakable
loyalty and bravery, and however people may differ
as to the truth of the hereditary doctrine, it cannot be
denied that history, in this case, proved that military
valor seems to be an inherent quality of Captain
Brooks, as his illustrious ancestors furnish an almost
unparalleled military record, which he has perpetu-
ated. Captain Brooks has been twice married; Au-
gust 20, 1865, to Miss Esther, daughter of William
and Hannah (Slawson) Carroll, natives of Erie county.
To this union were born two children: Glenni and
Clifton, both deceased. His wife died September 11,
1880. He was again married March 16, 1882, to Miss
Lizzie, daughter of Samuel J. and Caroline (Shreve)
Carroll, of Erie county. Captain Brooks is a member
of the G. A. R., and I. O. O. F., and a prominent Re-
publican. In 1877 he purchased his present home,
which consists of 160 acres of land.

Stephen B. Brooks, farmer, Ferdinand, Pa.,
was born at Harmony, Chautauqua county, N. Y.,
August 26, 1833, and is a son of James and Rhoda
(Williams) Brooks (see sketch of George W. Brooks, a
brother). He was reared and educated in New York
State, and in 1856 the family removed to Pennsyl-
vania and settled on the farm which is now owned by
Stephen in Union township. His father was one of
the early pioneers of the township, and, with the as-
sistance of his sons, he cleared up a large portion of



the homestead. He died April 8, 1887, at the ad-
vanced age of 91 years. The mother died January 29,
1874. Mr. Brooks not only oversees his farm of 134
acres, but is also traveling salesman for the E. Frank
Cole Fertilizing Company, of New York city. He
was united in marriage March 1, 1859, to Miss Eliza
J., daughter of William and Hannah (Slawson) Car-
roll, natives of Erie county. To them have been
born nine children: Ashley J., Cassius M., Phcebe A.,
now Mrs. Stanley Racey; Archie D., Elverdo C,
William W., George G., and Ruth. Mr. Brooks is a
Republican, member of the Baptist Church, Grange,
and I. O. O. F. He is one of the representative men
of Erie county.

Hubbard Taylor, farmer, L^nion City, Pa., was
born in Bangor, Fianklin county, N. Y., February 16,
1827, and is the second in a family of three children of
Calvin and Polly (Osgood) Taylor, natives of Ver-
mont. Mr. Taylor was reared and educated in his
birthplace, and at an early age began railroading, be-
ing employed as foreman on the Ogdensburg R. R.
for a number of years, also by the Alleghany Valley
between Oil City and Pittsburg. When the A. & G.
W. (now N. Y., P. & O. R. R.) was built he was em-
ployed as foreman for that company until 1874, when
he came to Union township and purchased a farm of
sixty-five acres, where he has since resided. He was
married March 2, 1851, to Miss Almira C, daughter of
Eli and Harriet (Butterfield) Gale, natives of New
York State. One child, Adelbert F., was born to this
union, August 2, 1856. Adelbert F. was reared and
educated at Oil City, Pa., and has followed farming
the greater part of his lite. He was married Decem-
ber 10, 1879, to Miss Rose, daughter of Samuel and
Laura (Wellman) Hood, natives of Pennsylvania.
Five children have been born to this union; Bertha R.
(deceased), Lester A., Mina E., Dwight O., and
Herald. Adelbert is a Prohibitionist, while the father
is identified with the Republican party. The family
are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

Jefferson Triscuit, farmer. Union City, Pa.,
was born March 28, 1836, in Wayne township, Erie
county. Pa., and is a son of Jesse and Sophia (Miles)
Triscuit, the former a native of Massachusetts and the
latter of Pennsylvania. Jesse came to Erie county
early in life and settled in Wayne township, where he
followed farming until his death. Nine children were
born to Jesse and Sophia, namely; George (deceased),
Julia, Jefferson, Marietta, Maria, Anson (deceased),
.Sophia, Jennie, and Lora (deceased). Jefferson was
reared and educated at his birthplace, and when the
war broke out he responded to the first call for vol-
unteers in April, 1861, and enlisted in the old Erie
regiment, and after the expiration of his term of en-
listment he re-e ilisted September 2, 1861, in Co. A,
111th P. \'. I. He was in the engagements at Har-
per's Ferry, Little Washington, and Cedar Mountain,
at the latter place being severely wounded, a minie-
ball striking him in the breast, passing through his
body and coming out below the right arm. He was
taken to Culpepper Court House and placed on the
floor of the Masonic Hall, where he lay for four days,
when he was removed to Armory Square Hospital,
Washington, where he stayed about a month, when he
was sent to Camden Street Hospital, Baltimore, two
months, and later to Convalescent Hospital, Concord



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUISTY.



SS3



street, remaining at the latter place until he was mus-
tered out February 16, 1865, by reason of his inability



Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 184 of 192)