Copyright
Benjamin Whitman.

Nelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r online

. (page 185 of 192)
Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 185 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


to serve longer, owing to his serious wound. Mr.
Triscuit was a loyal, brave-hearted soldier, and was
always found where duty called him, and had he been
able to remain in the service a captain's commission
was awaiting him. He was orderly sargeant at the
time he was wounded. After returnmg home he pur-
chased his present property in Union township, which
is pleasantly located on the Union City and Concord
road. The farm consists of 110 acres of well-culti-
vated land. He also owns a large farm of 140 acres
in Wayne township. Mr. Triscuit is a staunch Re-
publican, and has held many offices of trust in the
township and county. He has been auditor, assessor,
constable and collector two terms, school director and
director for the poor for Erie county two terms. As
an officer he has always proven himself trustworthy
and efficient. He is one of Erie county's most sub-
stantial and enterprising citizens. He was united in
marriage September 10, 1863, to Miss Amy D., daugh-
ter of Ansel and Phoebe (Morin) Estee, the former a
native of Buffalo and the latter of Rochester, N. Y.
There the family consisted of six children, namely:
Morris M., a prominent candidate for governor of
California in the fall of 1894; Louisa (deceased), Morin
(deceased), Lyman (deceased), Phccbe, and Florence
(deceased). To Mr. and Mrs. Triscuit have been born
four children: Grace M., now wife of Fred F. Ford,
Hydetown, Pa., Nellie M., now Mrs. J. P. Hall of
New York; Jay Guy, and Miss Jennie H. Mr. Tris-
cuit is a member of the G. A. R., and the family at-
tend the Methodist Episcopal Church.

John A. Bond, farmer. Union township. Union
City, Pa., was born at East Ashford, Cattaraugus county,
N. Y., and is the second in a family of eight children
of Solomon and Maria (Coffon) Bond, natives of Ver-
mont, who came to Cattaraugus county. New York, in
1830, and purchased a farm. " John was reared and ed-
ucated in his birthplace, and after leaving school went
to Minnesota and engaged in farming, remaining there
until August 14, 1862, when he enlisted in Co. A, 7th
Minn. V. L, under Captain Cutler. The company was
sent that summer to the Black Hills, to keep the In-
dians under subjection. They had an encounter with
the redskins at Birch Cooley and Wood Lake, Minn.,
and at both places won victories over their enemies.
They then marched eastward and captured straggling
bands of Indians along the route until they reached
Mankato, Minn., where the campaign ended. The
company was stationed at Fairmount during the win-
ter of 1862-3, and in the spring were sent to the Mis-
souri river, and, all along the route, had encounters
with their dusky foes, and after arriving at the Mis-
souri a bloody battle was fought at a point where Apple
creek flows into the Missouri. The redskins were
nearly all killed or captured, only a few being able to
вАҐmake their escape. The company then returned to
Fort Snelling, and after a month's delay moved down
the river to .St. Louis, was stationed there during the
winter of 1863-4, and was then sent to Kentucky, and
from thence to Memphis, Tenn., joining the 16th corps
at the latter place. After a severe raid the company
returned to Memphis and were sent to Little Rock to
head off Rice, and Mr. Bond, being taken sick, was
left at the latter place. He was at Little Rock three
weeks, and then returned to his company in time to



participate in the battle of Nashville. After this bat-
tle Mr. Bond was delegated to do duty at corps head-
quarters, and served in that capacity at Mobile, New
Orleans, Fort Blakesley and Montgomery, until the
close of the war. Mr. Bond was mustered out by gen-
eral order of the war department August 16, 1865.
Mr. Bond, while he did not participate in many bloody
battles, saw hard service, and was coping with an en-
emy that was hard to meet in open battle. The
marches were long and tedious, and at night, when
they camped, they knew not what minute they would
be surprised and scalped by the bloodthirsty red men.
Soon after the war closed Mr. Bond came to Erie
county, purchasing a farm in Franklin township,
where he remained about four years. He then came
to LTnion township, living on the farm of Jonathan
Parks until 1880, when he purchased his present prop-
erty of fifty-fix r acres, nicely located near Union City.
He wasmarrie.l Xnveinl.er 11, 1865, to Miss Melissa,
daugh'er of Jonathan an.l Julia (Rockwood) Parks,
natives of New \'(iik State. They have one child
(adopted), Josejih D. Mr. Bond is a member of the
G. A. R., I. O. O. F. and the Methodist Episcopal
Church. He is identified with the Republican party,
and has been township auditor for three terms.

O. D. LeBaroii, farmer and mason. Union City,
Union township. Pa., was born in Chautauqua county,
New York, June 22, 1852, and is a son of Orlando A.
and Susan (Clark) LeBaron, the former a native of
New York State and the latter of Pennsylvania. O. D.
was the only child, and obtained his education in his
birthplace. After his school days were over he learned
the mason's trade, and in 1873 came to Union township,
where he has since resided, working at his trade and
farming. In 1883he purchased his present farm of forty-
eight acres, and erected a fine brick house thereon, be-
sides making many other substantial improvements
which tend to make the home one of the pleasantest
in the county. As a workman Mr. LeBaron is second
to none, and has done some of the finest work in this
section of the State. He is a gentleman of pleasing
manners, and stands well in the community where he
resides. He was married May 1, 1873, to Miss Clara,
daughter of George and Charlotte (Johnson) Myers,
natives of Chautauqua county, New York. Five chil-
dren have been born to this union, namely: George,
born June 13, 1876; Willie, born January 6, 1878; Car-
rie, born April 10, 1884; Lynn, born December 6, 1887,
and Blaine, born January 24, 189.3. Mr. LeBaron has
always been identified with the Republican party.

Samuel P. Lord, farmer. Union township, Erie
county. Pa., was born April 26, 1847, in Richmond
township, Crawford county, and is a son of Zalmon
and Maria (Mansfield) Lord, the former a native of
Reading, Fairfield county. Conn., who was born in
1792, and in 1814 came to Pennsylvania, settling in
Richmond township, Crawford county, where he fol-
lowed farming until his death, which occurred March
10, 1872. He was a soldier in the war of 1812, and his
father, Gould Lord (grandfather of Samuel) served in
the Revolutionary war. Samuel was reared and edu-
cated in his birthplace, and when but 16 years of age
ran away from home and enlisted in the armv, March
31, 1864, serving in Co. B, 12th Reg. Pa. CaV., under
command of Capt. Daniel B. Lewis. His first initia-
tion in the methods of warfare was at Strasburg, W.



884



NELSON'S BIOGBAPEIOAL DICTIONABT



Va., then at Lynchburg, Va., and Charlestown, Va.
At the last-named battle his horse was shot, falling
across his body and rupturing him, besides other
severe injuries. He was taken prisoner at this place
by Mosby's men and sent to Lynchburg (Va.) prison;
here he was kept for three weeks, and then transfer-
red to Libby, and July 27, 1864, sent to AndersonviUe,
where he was kept until October, when he was trans-
ferred to Savannah, Ga., and from thence to i\lillen,
Ga., where he remained until December 20th, when he
escaped. The sick were to be paroled on a certain
date, and a comrade of Mr. Lord's was among the list,
but he died during the night, and Mr. Lord assumed
his name and place, and succeeded in making good
his escape. He went to Savannah, where he was put
aboard the United States Hospital boat " Atlantic," for
he was more dead than alive by exposure and torture
at AndersonviUe, and taken to Annapolis, Md., to the
Naval School Hospital, where he was under treatment
three weeks. He then came home on a furlough, and
remained sixty days, joining his regiment February
23, 1865. He participated in the battles of Port Royal
and Hamilton, and was mustered out June 28, 1865,
by general order of war department. Mr. Lord is a
descendant of a patriotic family of soldiers, and has
done credit to his country, his ancestors and himself.
After the war closed he returned to his home in Craw-
ford county, and remained there until 1876, when he
came to Union township. In 1881 he purchased his
present property, which consists of fifty acres of well-
cultivated land near the P. & E. R. R., between Union
City and Elgin. Mr. Lord was married April 2, 1866,
to Miss Fannie E., daughter of Harvey and Caroline
(Boyce) Knickerbocker, natives of Erie county. To
this union have been born sixteen children, namely:
William H., Emma, now wife of Hazen Allen, Union
City, Pa.; Clara L., now wife of Levi Peterson; Calvin
E., Harvey Z., Charles L. (deceased), Benjamin G.,
Flora E., Dexter A., Kittie B. Frederick J., Paul M.,
Carl M. (deceased), Caroline M., Samuel P. and
Joseph H. Mr. Lord is identified with the Repub-
lican party, and is a member of the P. O. S. of A.

Daniet J. Brown, farmer. Union township, Union
City, was born June 7, 1842, and is the seventh in a
family of twelve children of Samuel and Charity
(Staley) Brown, natives of New York. Daniel J. was
reared in Amity township, where the family located
when he was a vear old. He attended the public
schools, and in 1&'64 enlisted in Co. L, 4th Pa. Cav.,
and later transferred to Co. I, Pa. Cav. His first ex-
perience was at the battle of the Wilderness, where his
horse was shot, falling on him and breaking his breast-
bone and nose, and also rupturing him seriously. He
was taken to the hospitals at Fredericksburg, Wash-
mgton, Pittsburg and Philadelphia, and was mustered
out of the service by general order of war department
in July, 1865. Although Mr. Brown's experience was
short in the service, yet he went through with more
than many whose time there was longer. He was al-
ways found at his post, never shirking duty. After
returning home Mr. Brown engaged in farming, which
he has followed since. He has been twice married:
first in 1865, to Louisa, daughter of Lawson and Roxy
(Perry) Butler, of Lake Pleasant, Pa. Three children
were born to this union, namely: Samuel (deceased),
Lilly (deceased), and Henry (deceased). His wife
died in 1876, and he was remarried in 1877 to Caro-



line, daughter of Rufus and Mary (Martin) Benson,
natives of New York. Five children were born to
this marriage: Nellie, Louis, Bertie, Ella J. and Har-
riet. Mr. Brown is a stanch Republican. He attends
the Baptist Church.

Thomas Jefferson Shepard, farmer. Union
City, Pa., was born in L'nion township November 7,
1844, and is the eldest in a family of nine children of
Alexander and Clarissa (Harris) Shepard, natives of
Pennsylvania. Thomas was reared and educated at
his birthplace, and after leaving school enlisted in
Co. L, 12th Pa. Cav., in March, 1864, and was imme-
diately sent to the seat of war. He participated in the
battles of Harper's Ferry, Winchester and several
union engagements. Mr. Shepard saw hard service,
and was mustered out July 24, 1865, by general order
of war department. He returned to Union township
and engaged in lumbermg until 1871, when he re-
moved to Warren county, Pennsylvania, following the
same business there until 1892, when he returned to
Union township and purchased his present property,
which consists of 105 acres of well-cultivated land,
situated on the Union and Beaver Dam road, two
miles from the former place. Mr. Shepard was united
in marriage December 22, 1868, to Miss Rhoda A.,
daughter of Charles and Permelia (Price) Wade, na-
tives of Union township. To this union have been
born eight children, namely: Clarissa, Permelia, Le-
nora, Jennie, Charles (deceased November 26, 1887),
Cleveland, Oscar and Ora Alexander. The two eld-
est are teachers in the public schools of Union town-
ship. Mr. Shepard is a member of the G. A. R., and
in politics is a Democrat. He has held several town-
ship offices, such as commissioner, school director and
judge of elections. The family are members of the
Methodist Episcopal Church.

Day Linn Triscuit, farmer, Union City, LInion
township. Pa., was born August 28, 1854, and is a son
of George and Mary J. (Heath) Triscuit, natives of
Pennsylvania. Jesse Triscuit, grandfather of Day, was
brought from Massachusetts when quite young, the
family settling in Wayne township, Erie county, when
it was a dense wilderness. Jesse and Sophia (Miles)
Triscuit were the parents of nine children, namely:
George (deceased), Jefferson, Marietta, Maria, Anson
(deceased), Sophia, Jennie, Lora (deceased), George,
father of Day, was born in Wayne township, reared
and educated in his birth place, and followed farming
until his death, which occurred February 17, 1871.
George and Mary J. (Heath) Triscuit were the parents
of five children. Day L., Elmer J., Belle (deceased),
Carrie and George. Day Linn Triscuit was reared
and educated in the public schools of Union township,
and has followed farming the greater part of his life.
In 1882 he purchased his present property of seventy-
six acre.s, which is mostly improved, and used for
dairying and stock purposes. Mr. Triscuit was united
in marriage August 28, 1879, to Miss Sophonia, daugh-
ter of Jesse and Jane (Kincaide) Lyons, natives of
Pennsylvania, who were the parents of eleven chil-
dren, namely: Andrew, Joshua (deceased), William
(deceased), Rebecca (deceased), Julia, Amanda, Jesse
(deceased), Augustus, Etta (deceased), Celia and So-
phronia. The Lyons family came from Colerain,
Massachusetts; Daniel and his family locating in Sus-
quehanna county, Pennsylvania, Daniel and Rebecca



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY.



S85



(Banks) Lyons were the parents of ten children. Jesse
Lyons came to Beaver Dam when 21 years of age, and
resided there all his life. He was one of the pioneers
of Erie county. To Mr. and Mrs. Triscuit have been
born two children, Lula B. and Edith. In politics Mr.
Triscuit is a Republican, and the family are members
of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Triscuit is
one of Erie county's substantial and highly respected
citizens.

Cyrus H. King, farmer. Union City, Union town-
ship, Erie county. Pa., was born at Stockton, Chau-
tauqua county, N. Y., May 20, 1837, and is a son of Jasper
and Betsey (Pickett) King, natives of Vermont. Cyrus
is a grandson of Gen. E. Pickett, of Revolutionary
fame, and his grandfather on his father's side, Thomas
King, served through the war of 1812. Ten children
were born to Jasper and Betsey King, namely: Cyrus
H., Ellen, widow of N. M. Waters, late of Union City;
Nancy, wife of Corry Goodrich, of New York City;
Lanston, Sherod, William, Lucius, James, Fred and
Charles. Cyrus was reared and educated in his birth-
place, and, in 1851, his parents came to Pennsylvania,
settling in Crawford county, where they remained
three years, when they came to Union township, where
Jasper died April 12, 1875. When Cyrus was '21 years
of age he enlisted, September 16, 1862, in Co. C, 169th
Reg., P. V. L, under Captain Adam Davis. He was
sent directly to the seat of war, and his first experience
was at Yorktown, Va., under McClellan, then at Get-
tysburg July 1, 2, and 3, 1863, being wounded at the
last-named battle, a bullet striking him in the breast
near the heart. His life was doubtless saved on this
occasion by the fact that his breast pocket contained
a euchre deck, book of poems, some letters and a pic-
ture, which were perforated by and stopped the force
of the bullet, which would have otherwise passed
through his body. His next battle was at Southside
Railroad where he was wounded in the hip by a minie-
ball. Although seriously wounded here, he would not
go to a hospital, preferring the camp and battle field
to hospital life. He next participated in the battle of
Petersburg, coming out of that bloody fight unscathed.
His term of enlistment being expired," he was then
discharged and came home, but after twenty days, the
desire to again take up arms impelled him to enlist
September 5, 1864, in Co. B, 98th P. V. L He was
made sergeant of his compony, and participated in
many skirmishes during his term of enlistment, and
was at Richmond when Lee surrendered. On one oc-
casion, after giving orders to ten posts which were
under him, he was returning leisurely to his tent when,
passing a moment midway between the posts, a shot
was fired by a rebel guerrilla, the ball striking the
front piece of Sergeant King's cap and ploughing a
furrow across the top of his head inflicting a scalp
wound. Sergeant King's record shows for itself what
he has done in behalf of the country he loves so well.
His patriotism and bravery were born in him, coming
as he did from a family of soldiers. He was mustered
out of the service June 23, 1865, by general order of
the war department. After the war closed he re-
turned home and engaged in farming, which he has
since followed. He was united in marriage Septem-
ber 29, 1864, to Miss Harriet, daughter of Marcus and
Mary (Hamilton) Cowden, natives of New York. Four
children have been born to this union namely: Ed-
ward, Ella, Perry and Elmer. Mr, King is an honored



member of the G. A. R., and has always been identi-
fied with the Republican party.

Barker A. Skintter, Wattsburg, Pa., physician
and surgeon, born August 25, 1833, in Mina, Chautau-
qua county, N. Y., is a son of Abbott and Marilla
(Barber) Skinner. The former, who was a painter,
died in 1883. The children are Henry A., residing in
Elgin, Erie county. Pa., member of the 83d Reg., Co.
K, P. V. I. He lost an arm at the battle of Gaines
Mills, in 1862, and has been unable to do any work
since then. Dr. Skinner was educated in the public
schools of Wattsburg and the medical department of
the University of Wooster, at Cleveland, O., from
where he graduated February 28, 1878. He began the
practice of medicine in Elgin, Erie county. Pa., where
he remained for six years; from Elgin he removed to
Wattsburg, where he has since resided. He was a
painter previous to reading medicine. Dr. Skinner
was drafted three times; twice he was not accepted,
owing to disability, but was held to service on the third
draft. He joined the 102d P. V. L, served four months,
and was honorably discharged at the close of the war.
He was married January 1, 1856, to Isora J., daughter
of William Rackliffe, of Starke, Somerset county. Me.
Mrs. Skinner died January 13, 1864. No children
were born of this marriage. He was united in mar-
riage to Jane J. Dalrymple, of Wattsburg, July 11,
1864, daughter of Jeremiah E. and Sabra Peck Dal-
rymple. One son and three daughters are the issue of
this marriage; Myra M., Jessie L., Zora J. and Harry
B. Skinner, the only son, who is an artist, residing in
Warren, O. Jessie L. was married to Henry A. Rouse,
son of Albert P. Rouse, of Wattsburg. Henry A.
Rouse died in April, 1891, leaving one son and one
daughter. Jessie L. was married a second time to
Fred A. Taylor, son of A. C. Taylor, of Wattsburg,
Pa. Dr. Skinner is worshipful master in Wattsburg
Lodge, No. 533, F. & A. M., past grand and representa-
tive to the Grand Lodge from Wattsburg Lodge, No.
118, I. O. O. F. He is medical examiner and past
president in Wattsburg Union, No. 672, E. A. U.; is
county physician and agent for the director of the
poor, Erie county. He has resided in Wattsburg
since 1854. Dr. Skinner is a member of the M. E.
Church. Jeremiah E. Dalrymple, father of Mrs. Dr.
Skinner, was a memebr of 145th P. V. L, enlisting
from Wattsburg. He served two years and was one
of the unfortunates who were starved to death in An-
dersonville prison.

George H. Duttcombe. manufacturer, Wattsburg,
Pa., born in Venango township, Erie county. Pa., in
1858, is the son of Charles H.and Eunice (Wood) Dun-
combe. The great-grandfather of George H. settled
in Venango township in 18'28, moving from Delaware
county. New York., and with the assistance of his son,
Francis Burritt, cleared away the timber on his land
and followed farming. Charles H. Duncombe enlisted
in the war, and shortly afterward contracted an illness
that rendered him nnfit for service and at the end of
six months he was discharged. George H. Duncombe
has one brother,Morris E.,who is engaged in the jewelry
and printing business in Wattsburg. Mr.Duncombe was
united in marriage, in 1884, to Mertie, daughter of
Charles E. and Isabel (Johnson) Gross. Four chil-
dren are the issue of this marriage: Charles G., Herbert
G., Isabel and Alice M. Mr. Duncombe is actively



NELSON-S BIOOBAPEICAL DICTIONARY



engaged in farming, and is also manager of a large
saw-mill in the eastern part of the county. This mill
furnishes the Union City Furniture Company with 100,-
000 pieces of turned lumber every month. Mr. Dun-
combe takes an active part in the Presbyterian Church,
and is afBliated with the Masonic order. In politics
he is independent.

Charles Harrison Page, LowviUe, Erie county,
Pa., born in Allegany county. New York, April 6,
1840, of English extraction, is a son of Phmeas P. and
Mary (Spaulding) Page. His father settled in Ve-
nango township when he was one year old, where he
was reared and educated, and has lived continuously,
with the exception of the time he served in the late
war. He enlisted .September 4, 1864, in Co. F, 211th
P. V. I., and took an active part in the battles of Ft.
Stedman, Petersburg, and Point of the Rocks, and was
discharged June 6, 1865. Mr. Page has four brothers
and sisters, namely: Albert Page, who is engaged in
mercantile business in Union City, Pa.; Mary E., wife
of Charles Austin; Helen (deceased wife of Samuel
Phelps), and George, who is a farmer in Kansas. On
the 22nd day of October, 1862, Mr. C. H. Page was
married to Alice, daughter of Aaron M. and Jane (But-
terfield) Durfee. Three children have been the issue
of said marriage, namely: Marion L., Walter E., and
Cecil A. Mr. Page is a prosperous farmer, and has 105
acres of good farm land. He is a member of the
Methodist Church and is an active member of the
G. A. R.

Marvin Elliot Janes, Lowville, Erie county. Pa.,
born in Venango township, June 15, 1837, of English
parentage, is a son of James and Ann (Smith) Janes.
He had two brothers, James Harris and James Lucas,
both deceased. The grandfather of Mr. Janes settled
in Venango township about 1810, took a quarter-sec-
tion of land, and gave 118 acres to Marvin, which he
cleared. He still retains 80 3-10 acres, having given
37 7-10 acres to his daughter as a wedding present.
Mr. Janes was married in 1858 to Geraldine Stafford.
Two children were born to this union: Anna, wife of
George Dippo, and James H. In 1862 he enlisted in
the 111th P. V. I., served one year in the army of the
Potomac, participating in the battles of Chancellors-
ville, Va., and Gettysburg, Pa. He was with others
transferred to Sherman's command to reinforce Rose-
crans; he fought in the battles of Wahatchie, Lookout
Mountain, Mission Ridge, and took part in the siege
of Atlanta, and followed Sherman in his march to the
sea. He was mustered out July 19, 1865. On August
28, 1868, Mr. Janes took for his second wife Maria L.
Shipman, who died on the 22nd of June, 1869. May 3,
1871, he was married to Alice D., daughter of Stephen
and Hannah (Smith) Allen. Two children were the
result of this union: Heman L. and Maria L., wife of
Fred Plumb. Mr. Janes is a member of the G. A. R.
James Janes, the father of Marvin Elliot, died April 7,
in 1894, in Wesleyville. He came from a long line of
Puritans which gave to the world Bishop E. S. Janes
of the M. E. Church. James Janes was a member of
the Presbyterian Church, and was greatly respected by
a wide circle of friends. Mrs. Janes still survives her
husband. In the settlement of James Janes' estate it
largely went to his son and grandchildren.

Allen Henry Smith, of Phillipsville, Erie county.
Pa., was born in Venango township, February 28, 1848,



son of Thomas and Sallie (Janes) Smith. He is a
farmer by occupation, and has three sisters and broth-
ers, namely: Melvin, a farmer in Iowa; Wallace (de-
ceased), and Ella, wife of Thomas Newsham. His
grandfather, John Smith, settled in Venango township
in 1810, and took up a quarter section of land, which
he cleared of timber. On February 20, 1874, Mr.
Smith married Kate, daughter of David and Elizabeth
(Fritz) Duncombe, and as issue of this marriage they
have two children, namely: Ely and Gertrude. When
Mr. Smith started for himself, his father gave him 100
acres of land and he in spite of losses entailed by



Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 185 of 192)