Copyright
Benjamin Whitman.

Nelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r online

. (page 186 of 192)
Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 186 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


reason of two fires has accumulated 300 more, and has
at present 200 head of stock on his place, and esti-
mates himself worth $20,000. Mr. Smith is a Methodist.



Judge Weber Chaffee, Lowville, Erie county,
Pa., was born in Boston, Erie county, N. Y., eighteen
miles south of Buffalo, April 17, 1865, settled in Erie
county,Pennsylvania, in November, 1870, and in \'enan-
go in September, 1886. He is the eldest child of Isaac
and Hilda (Bathburn) Chaffee. There were four child-
ren, namely: George, U. S. postal clerk on L. S. &M.S.;
Clark, superintendent of a hardware store in Boston;
Francis (deceased); Freelan, in county treasurer's
office of Buffalo, N. Y., and Alice, wife of Edward
Nott, a druggist. Mr. Chaffee received his education
at the Springfield Academy and the New York Central
College, and finished at the University of Rochester.
He then studied law in the office of Judge P. G. Par-
ker, and while there was ?n associate and fellow-stu-
dent of Grover Cleveland, who was then studying in
the office of Bowen, Rodgers, Rock & Bowen. In
Grundy county, Iowa, he was elected county judge and
county clerk, and was a member of the board of super-
visors. On the 28th day of April, 1861, he married
Melissa M., the only child of Abel E. and Abigail
(Harrington) Chaffee, his second cousin, and as issue
to said marriage there were five children, namely:
Ernest, Willis N., Agnes and Archibald. Mrs. Chaffee
is a space writer for a number of newspapers. Mr.
Chaffee is a third degree Mason, and is senior warden
of the Wattsburg Lodge, No. 533, and is a member of
the Grange. He is a Democrat.

Mrs. Zelphia Ryan, widow of Erastus Ryan,
was born May 7, 1836, in Washington township. Her
father, William McLallen, wasa native of Erie county.
He was born .April 22, 1804, in the eastern portion of
Washington township. His father was Robert Mc-
Lallen, a native of New York, and of Irish descent.
He married a Miss Polly Drake, in New York State,
and settled in Erie county about 1798. They had ten
children, of whom William was the sixth child. He
was married to Miss Philena Davis, daughter of
Zopher Davis, a native of Vermont. She was born
there in 1805, and in 1815 came to Erie county with
her parents, who settled in Washington township.
Mr. and Mrs. McLallen had eleven children, of whom
Zelphia was the fifth child. On June 9, 1850, Mrs.
Zelphia Ryan was married to Erastus Ryan, a son of
lohn Ryan, a native of London, England. Mr. Ryan
came to this country when a boy, and lived with a
family in eastern New York State. On reaching his
maturity Mr. Ryan was married to a young English
woman. Soon after his marriage he moved to Erie
county, locating in Washington township, where his
wife died. He later married Maranda Crow, and



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUJSITr.



887



Erastus, their eldest child, was born February 13, 1830.
There were nine other children in this family, of
whom five were girls. Erastus was first married to
Miss Phcebe Hamilton, an orphan girl. She died
April 12, 1856, leaving one child, Winstone L. Ryan,
who is now living in LeBoeuf township, near McLallen's
Corners. The marriage of Mr. Ryan and Miss Mc-
Lallen resulted in the birth of five children, all of
whom are now dead with one exception, William Wal-
lace, who was born May 20, 1869. The others, Ells-
worth E., Florilla, Norton J. and Archie E., all died
before they were 4 years old. Mr. Ryan died Septem-
ber 20, 1892, leaving his widow and sons, who are
living near McLallen's Corners.

Harry Culbertson. postmaster at Edinboro, Pa.,
was born June 23, 1870, in that place. Hi? father,
Louis C. Culbertson, was a son of John Augustus Cul-
bertson, who, in turn, was the first man to settle in
Washington township, making his home in what is
now the thriving village of Edinboro. The ancestors
of William Culbertson were originally from Scotland.
They went first from Scotland to the Korthof Ireland,
and were of Scotch-Irish population in the province of
Ulster. Here they are known to have taken a promi-
nent part in the life and death struggle between King
James II and his Protestant subjects in the siege of
Londonderry. The first Culbertson to emigrate to
America is said to have come over during the reign of
King George I, of England, about 1720. The eldest
son of this man was born in Ireland in 1708. His
name was John. The eldest son of this second John
Culbertson was Andrew, who was born in 1731. In
1763 he was married to Jennette Boyd in Philadelphia,
and the followingyear settled in the town of Williams-
port, Lycoming county, Pa. They had nine children,
the eldest of whom was William, who, in the year 1794,
was married to Mary Culbertson, a relative also de-
scended from the John Culbertson who came over
from Ireland. This marriage took place at Williams-
port, and the following year they settled in the eastern
part of Washington township. In 1795 they moved
farther west, to what is now the town of Edinboro.
He built at the mouth of Conneaut lake a grist and
sawmill near the location of the present mill at that
place. He acquired considerable land in the vicinity
of Edinboro, and combined, to some e.xtent, the busi-
ness of milling and farming. He was at an early day
appointed a justice of the peace, which office he held
continuously for forty years. Mr. Culbertson's first
wife died at Edinboro March 2, 1802. They had four
children: Andrew Columbus, Jennette C, John Au-
gustus and William Washington. In January, 1806,
occurred the second marriage of William Culbertson.
His second wife was Margaret Johnson, who died
June 30, 1820. They had five children: Maria J.,
James Johnson, Josiah J., Cyrus A. and Elizabeth,
Mr. Culbertson died November 11, 1843. John August
Culbertson, son of William Culbertson, was married
to Clarissa Harrison in Edinboro, October 23, 1827.
They had six children: Harrison, Louis C, Johnson,
Porter, Emily, who married John Proudfit in Edin-
boro, and Edwin. Mrs. Culbertson died October 16,
1862, and she was followed by her husband on March
16, 1872. Their second son, Louis C, father of Harry
Culbertson, subject of this sketch, was born March 7,
18*2. On May 31, 1868, he was married to Martha M.
Proudfit, daughter of Alexander Proudfit, son of An-



drew and Isabel (Smith) Proudfit, who settled in Frank-
lin township in 1853. This family is of Scotch-Irish
ancestry, and were among the early settlers in this
country. Eleven children were the result of this
union: Claribel, now the wife of Frank Pulling, liv-
ing at Edinboro; Mabel, the wife of Charles Dundan,
in Edinboro; Hattie, died October 28, 1870; Agnes,
Harry, Lizzie and Andrew, living with their parents.
Mr. Culbertson is a carpenter by occupation, and is
one of the men who had done considerable toward
building the pretty town that is now his home. Mr.
Harry Culbertson was born and reared in Edinboro.
He was educated in the Edinboro State Normal School,
attending there five terms. He then clerked in his
uncle's store for seven years, when he was appointed
postmaster by President Cleveland on March 18, 1895.
In this capacity he is assisted by his sister, Agnes
Culbertson.

Heary Lewis, Edinboro, was born in Meadville,
Crawford county, Pa., December 9, 1832. His great
grandmother, Mrs. Jane Campbell, was the first woman
settler in Washington township. She came to Erie
county in 1797, with the William Culbertson party,
which came from Williamsport, Lycoming county, Pa.
Mrs. Campbell was a widow and was accompanied on
the trips by her two sons, John and James. They set-
tled on 400 acres of land in Washington township just
south of the present site of the town of Edinboro. Soon
after Mrs. Campbell was married to Robert Fritz
Randolph. They removed to Meadville where he
died. Mrs. Campbell returned to her home in Wash-
ington township, soon after her husband's death. She



died October 18, 1843. John Campbell, a son of Jane
Campbell, was married on May 10, 1804, to Mary
Laughery, a daughter of James Laughery. They had



nine children. Sarah, their second child and
daughter, was born January 28, 1807. On May
27, 1830, she was married to Jesse Lewis, son of Lot
Lewis, who settled in Crawford county in 1797, im-
migrating from New Jersey. The Lewis family is
of Scotch, Welch and Irish descent. Jesse and Sarah
Lewis had eight children, of whom Henry, the subject
of this sketch, was the second child. The others are:
Mary J., widow of J. O. Reeder; John Randolph, now
general secretary of the Cotton States International
Exposition, at Atlanta, Ga. Sarah Jane married Will-
iam S. Proudfit; she died March 10, 1857; James Alex-
ander, was killed in the battle of Gettysburg; Harriet
Amanda, is now the wife of William S. Proudfit, and is
living in Chicago; .Martha Ann, wife of C. H. Barnes,
of Lake Charles, La.; William 'VVinters, now living at
Palton, Iowa. Henry Lewis was twice married, first on
January 13, 1856, to Frances Fry, of Franklin town-
ship. She died January 7, 1861. They had one daugh-
ter, Mary Frances, who married Daniel F. Delo, by
whom she had one child. Flora W. Mr. Delo died
February 28, 1882, and his wife on March 12, 1890. Mr.
Lewis was married to his present wife, Catherine A.
Shreve, a daughter of Samuel and Sarah Ann (Flem-
niing) Shreve, of Venango county, on August 8, 1866.
They have had no children. Mr. Lewis entered the
army in the late war, enlisting in July, 1862, in Co. B,
145th P. y. I. He participated in the battles of Fred-
ericksburg, Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. In the
latter battle Mr. Lewis lost his left arm, and was also
badly injured in the back by a piece of shell at Gettys-
burg. After the amputation of his arm he returned



NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY



home until December, when he returned to his regi-
ment in the field, and then on December 18, 1863, he
was honorably discharged. Mr. Lewis started in life
as a carpenter and joiner, and continued in that busi-
ness until appointed postmaster of Edinboro by Presi-
dent Lincoln on January 5, 186.5, which office he held
until March, 1886. He has also served one term as
borough councilman, and was for eighteen years a trus-
tee in the Edinboro State Normal school. Mr. Lewis
is a member of Proudfit Post, No. 416, G. A. R., and
also of the U. V. L. at Erie. He has held all of the
offices in his post and was its first commander. Mr.
Lewis is also a member of the A. O. U. W.

John Randolph Lewis is a Pennsylvanian, hav-
ing been born in Erie county September 22, 1834. Af-
ter attending preparatory schools, he took the regular
course of study at the Pennsylvania College of Den-
tal Surgery and the medical department of the Uni-
versity of Vermont, after which he engaged in the
practice of dental surgery. Having enlisted, April 20,
1861, he served during the three-months' term as ser-
geant of Co. H, 1st Vt. 1., taking part in the battle of
Big Bethel and other engagements of that campaign,
and being discharged August 15, 1861. He re-entered
the army September 16, 1861, as captain of Co. I, 5th
Vt. I. On July 16, 1862, he was promoted to major, and
to lieutenant-colonel October 5, following. He served
in all the campaigns of the Army of the Potomac, be-
ing wounded at White Oak Swamp, until May 5, 1864,
when he lost his left arm at the shoulder joint from a
gun-shot wound at the battle. of the Wilderness. Hav-
ing been promoted to the colonelcy of his regiment,
June 5, 1864, it was found that his wound unfitted him
for active service, and he was mustered out Septem-
ber 11, 1864. Having been commissioned colonel of the
1st Reg., Vt. Res. Corps, Septembers, Lewis accepted,
September 12, the day after his discharge from the 5th
Vermont. He served on the board for the examination
of officers for transfer to the Vt. Res. Corps until De-
cember 26, 1864, and then on the board for the exaifli-
nation of enlisted men in hospitals for transfer to the
same corps until June, 1865. Having been a brevet-
brigadier-general of volunteers, March 13, 1865, he
commanded the post in Elmira, N. Y., from June till
October, awaited orders at Buffalo till December, and
was then on duty at Nashville as inspector-general of
the staff of Gen. Clinton B. Fisk, and assistant com-
missioner B. R. F. and A. L. at Nashville until Janu-
ary, 1867. Having been commissioned major of the
44th U. S. Inf., January 22, 1867, Gen. Lewis accepted
the place and was mustered out of the volunteer serv-
ice March 31, and into the Ignited States Army April

1, 1867. Then he served on the staff of Gen. C. C.
Sibley at Savannah, Macon and Atlanta till 1869; un-
assigned March 15, 1869; assistant commissioner B.
R. F. and A. L., Atlanta, Ga., to April 28, 1870; brevet
lieutenant-colonel and brevet colonel, U. S. A., March

2, 1867; retired, with the rank of colonel, U. S. A.,
April 28, 1870, after a total active service of eight years
and eleven months. Since leaving the army his occu-
pations have been as follows: .State school commis-
sioner of Georgia, 1870 to 1872, during which time he
organized the public school system of the State; mer-
cantile business at Des Moines, la., 1873 to 1876; resi-
dent of Buffalo, N. v., 1876 to 1880; secretary Atlanta
Cotton Expositions, 1880 to 1881; mercantile business
at Atlanta since 1883; postmaster of Atlanta from Au-



gust 1, 1889, to December 1, 1893; secretary Cotton
States and International Exposition from April 1,
1894, to December 31, 1895. Gen. Lewis was a char-
ter member of the O. M. Mitchell Post, Department
of Tennessee and Georgia, and has served as its senior
vice-commander. At the Nineteenth National En-
campment in Portland, Me., he was elected junior
vice-commander-in-chief. He was married and has
two sons.

Alotizo Shafer, clergyman, postoffice McLallen's
Corners, born in Cobleskill, N. Y., September 21, 1846,
is a son of Sylvester and Margaret (Andrews) Shafer,
natives of Cobleskill, N. Y. The former was born at
Cobleskill, N. Y., in 1825, and was by occupation a
carpenter and joiner. He enlisted in December, 1862,
in Co. K, 121st Reg. Heavy Artillery, and in June,
1863, was transferred to the light infantry, and while
on picket duty was shot by a sharpshooter. He was
married in 1845 to Margaret, daughter of James
Andrews, a native of New York. The former died in
1863, and the latter in 1875. This union was blessed
with seven children, six of whom are now living, viz.:
Abraham, born in 1849, now living in Green Bush, N.
Y.; Celia, born in 1851, wife of John Carr, of Onenta,
N. Y.; James, born in 1854, livmg in Onenta, N. Y.;
Mary, born in 1857, wife of John Wetherwax, of
Onenta, N. Y.; Helen, born in 1860, died in 1870;
Emma, born in 1863, the wife of .Stephen Sweet, of
New York city. Rev. Mr. Shafer received a part of
his education at Carlisle Seminary, New York city,
and finished at the normal school in Cobleskill, N. Y.;
he took a theological course in Brooklyn, N. Y., and
in 1879, started to preach the gospel in Albany, N. Y.,
for the M. E. Church, remaining there for a short time.
He then went to New York city, and was there one
year, and from there he went to Brooklyn, N. Y., re-
maining there four years; he then went to Delhi, N.
Y., for one year, joining the Christian denomination;
to Jonesboro, N. J., for one year; Hartwick, N. Y., for
two years; then to New London, Conn., where he re-
mained two years and six months; and, in October,
1894, he moved to McLallen's Corners, where he has
charge of the church, and also the one at Itley, Pa.
He has been principally engaged in evangelist work.
Rev. Mr. Shafer was united in marriage September
23, 1869, at Unadilla, N. Y., to Malicia C, daughter of
Joseph Fisher, a native of New York. Of the twelve
children composing the Fisher family, seven still sur-
vive. This union "has been blessed with one child,
viz.: Frances K., born September 19, 1870, wife of N.
D. Rutherford, of Hartwick, N. Y., who is by occu-
pation a photographer. Rev. Mr. Shafer is a member
of the I. O. O. F., Lodge No. 85, of New London,
Conn.; also the Jr. O. U. A. M., Temple of Honor and
Good Templars, of New London, Conn. His wife is a
member of the Daughters of Liberty. Rev. Mr.
Shafer, after leaving the State of New York, asked
and received his letter from the New York Eastern
Christian. Conference, and September 24, 1895, he
joined the Erie Christian Conference, to which his
local charge is attached.

Henry C Allen, farmer, McLallen's Corners,
Erie county, Pa., was born August 30, 1846, in Cam-
bridge township, Crawford county. The first of this
family, James, born in 1762, near London, England,
came to America in 1825, and settled in Cambridge



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY.



township, Crawford county, Pa., where he purchased a
farm of 250 acres which he was engaged in clearing
and farming until his death, in 1837. He was married
to Elizabeth Tamer, a native of England. This union
was blessed with seven children; Charles, William,
Anna, Eliza, Mary, Henry and Jane, the wife of
George Barnes, of lancsvillc, Wis. Hcnrv. sr., born
in 18011, in England; canic- to Amcrir.i with' Ins father
in 1825, when 19 years ,iKl, and was a resident of
Crawford county until his death, in 1HS8. He was one
of the pioneer settlers of Cambridge township, and
was united in marriage in 1833 to Mary, daughter of
John Humes, a native of Crawford county, Pennsyl-
vania. To this union were born ten children, as fol-
lows: James, born in 1834, now living in Lead City,
S. D.; Matilda, born in 1836, the wife of James Haw-
thorn, living in Crawford county, on part of the old
homestead; John, born in 1837, of Crawford county;
Oscar, born in 1840, of Crawford county; Parnell,born
in 1842, died in 1849; Mary, born in 1844, died in 1862;
Henry, jr.; Adelia, born in 1849, the wife of Amos
Willie, of Crawford county; Homer, born in 1851, now
living in Lead City, S. D.; and Alma, born in 1853, the
wife of Frank Glover, of Crawford county, Pennsyl-
vania. Henry C. Allen received a common school
education in Cambridge township, Crawford county,
remaining at home until the age of 35, when he started
out for himself at farming on a part of the old home-
stead, remaining there until 1892, when he purchased
106 acresof land in Washington township, Erie county.
Pa., known as the Andrew Culbertson farm, located
one mile south of McLallen's Corners. He was united
in marriage October 12, 1881, to Maggie (born June
24, 1861), the daughter of Joseph Kline, a native of
Erie county. She was the third child of a family of
nine children, six of whom are now living, viz.: Emma,
born in 1857, died in 1877; Fannie, born in 1859, wife of
Fortis Crow, of Washington township; Claude, born
in 1863, now living in Crawford county; Pet, who died
in infancy; Jasper, jr., born in 1867, living in Wash-
ington township; Norman, born in 1870; and Jennie,
born in 1874. Mr. and Mrs. Allen are the parents of
three children, as follows; Bruce, born in 1882;
Claude, born in 1884; and Mary, born in 1894. Mr.
Henry C. Allen is a member of the Grange at Cam-
bridge, Crawford county. Pa.; he has never sought
office, and has always voted the Democratic ticket un-
til three years ago. Mr. Allen has won the respect of
all with whom he comes in contact, and occupies a
worthy place in the estimation of the community.

Emery S. Mattisoa, farmer, Edinboro, Erie
county. Pa., was born December 22), 1861, and is a son
of Sheldon and Delindia (Woodard) Mattison, natives
of New York. The first of this family to come to
Washington township was Ruben Mattison, a native
of Eastern New York, born in 1794, one of a family of
four children. He served in the war of 1812; was
married in 1817 to Experience, daughter of Zenas and
Betty (Blakeslee) Potter, of Erie county. New York.
She was one of six children, and was left motherless at
the age of 15, and kept house for her father until his
second marriage four years later. They settled on the
shores of Chautauqua Lake, near where Mayville now
stands, remaining two years. From there they went
down the Allegheny river on a flat boat to Marrietta,
O., where they stayed three years, when they removed
to Erie county. New York. In 1840 they came to



Washington township, Erie county. Pa., where they
bought a farm, and passed the rest of their days. They
had a family of six children, three of whom are now
living: Asenath, widow of Stephen Wait, now living
with'her son, Levi, on a farm in LeBoeuf township;
Sheldon anil Shi-niian. fonnerly of Erie county, Penn-
sylvania, but now h\inu in Mi(hi-aii. Reuben died in
187S, a^ed S4 vrars. an^l i . \ | ..n.n, c- in 1873, at theage
of 75. Tluv aiidthiii ( Inlilic ii \m re members of the
Christian Church of McLallen's Corners, Erie county.
Sheldon Mattison, born in 1827, in Erie county, New-
York, came to Erie county, Pennsylvania, with his
father when about seven years old, and in his youthful
days worked by the month; when a young man he
went to Illinois, and was engaged in farming fora short
time. He was twice married, first to Easter Dibble;
this union resulted in six children, two of whom are
living: Alwildia, wife of William Briggs, Rondo, Mich.,
and Amelia, wife of Fred Clark, of Michigan; Ardelia
(deceased), was the wife of E. Swails. He returned
from the West and went to Alleghany county. New
York, and engaged in the lumber business for four
years. He then came to Washington township and en-
gaged in the carpenter trade. Mr. Mattison took for
his second wife, in 1860, Delendia Woodard, born in
1842, a native of Alleghany county. New York. To
this union were born two children; Emery S., and Em-
ma, born in 1867, wife of Dr. B. N. Bricker, of Wild-
wood, Mich. His second wife died in 1888. Emery S.
Mattison received his education at the Edinboro Nor-
mal School, and was engaged at farming for his father
until 24 years of age, when he was married to Hattie,
daughter of Philander and Clarissa (Mitchell) Porter,
natives of Crawford county, Pennsylvania. There
were six children in the Porter family, four of whom
are now living. Hattie was the second child. After
their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Mattison went to Rondo,
Mich., where he was engaged in teaching school for
one year. He then came back to Washington town-
ship and taught school for three seasons, after which
he went to farming on the old homestead, containing
sixty-two acres of land in a high state of cultivation,
with good buildings, on Kinter Hill. This union has
been blessed with five children; Georgia died in
1887; Porter, born in 1888; Alta, born in 1890; Fenn,
born in 1891, and Clara, born in 1894, died in 1895.

Fred Heatieous, farmer, McLallen's Corners,
Erie county. Pa., was fjorn December 16, 1819, in Han-
over, Germany, and is a son of Christian and Charlotte
(Kisshman) Henneous, natives of Germany. Mr. Hen-
neous was by occupation a farmer in Germany, where
he owned a farm of 100 acres. He was married in
Hanover, Germany, to Charlotte Kisshman. They
were the parents of four children, three of whom are
dead. Mr. Fred Henneous was twice married: first in
Germany, Fredereka Deiderich, a native of Han-
over, Germany, in 1847, and in 1852 he started with his
wife and three children to America, landing in Balti-
more, Md., and from there he went to St. Louis, Mo.,
where his wife and two children died of cholera, and,
in 1854, he came to Erie, Pa., from there going to Cam-
bridge township, Crawford county, where he purchased
a farm of fifty-five acres, operating it successfully for
twenty years. He then came to Washington town-
ship andtiought a farm of 111 acres, where he now re-
sides. He married for his second wife, in 1857, Char-
lotte, daughter of Henry Saunders, a native of Ger-



890



NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY



many. This union has been blessed with nine chil-
dren: Albert, born in 1859, and now judge of Aurora
county, South Dakota; Fred, born in 1861, living at
home; Anna, born in 1863, wife of James Campbell, of
Crawford county, Pennsylvania; Sena, born in 1865,
living in Erie; Frank, born in 1867, and engaged in
the manufacture of wagons in Monroe county, Iowa;
George, born in 1869, living at home; Emma, born in
1871, at home; Eddie, born in 1873, living in Washing-
ton township; Mark, born in 1875, at home. Fred Hen-
neous and wife were members of the Lutheran Church
at Drake's Mills. In politics he is a Reimblican.

Sylvester Culbertsou, farmer, McLallen's Cor-
ners, Erie county. Pa., was born January 12, 1844, in
Washington township, and is a son of Stephen and
Elizabeth B. (Isherwood) Culbertson, natives of the



Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 186 of 192)