Copyright
Benjamin Whitman.

Nelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r online

. (page 24 of 192)
Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 24 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


2 ; other charitable institutions, 1 ; Catholic
population, 65,000.

CONGREGATIONS IN 1880.

Below is a list of the various congregations
in the county in 1880, with the year each one
is supposed to have been organized. Any ad-
ditions that have been made since that year,
or any errors in dates, &c., will be noted in
the city, borough and township sketches :

Presbyterian (19).— Belle Valley, 1841;
Beaver Dam, Wayne township, about 1820;
Central Church, Erie, 1871 ; Chestnut street,
Erie, 1873; Corry, 1864; East Springfield,
1804; Edinboro, 1829; Fairview borough,
1845; First Church, Erie, 1815; Girard bor-
ough, 1835; Harbor Creek, 1832; Mill Vil-
lage, 1870; North East borough, 1801; Park
Church, Erie, 1855 ; Union City, 1811 ; Water-
ford borough, 1809; Wattsburg, 1826; West-
minster, Mill Creek township, 1806-1851 ;
Wales, Greene township, 1849. The Presby-
terian Churches of Erie county are within the
bounds of the Synod of Pennsylvania and of
the Presbytery of Erie. The Synod was con-
stituted in 1881, and embraces the four old
Synods of Philadelphia, Harrisburg, Erie and
Pittsburg. The Presbytery embraces Erie,
Crawford, Warren, Venango and Mercer
counties.

United Presbyterian (6). — Beaver Dam,
Wayne township, 1859; First Church, Erie,
1811; Five Points, Summit township, 1842;
Mission Church, Erie, 1874; Waterford bor-
ough, 1812; Whiteford's Corners, Summit
township, 1876. The name of this denomina-
tion in Erie county was originalh- the Asso-
ciate Reformed Presbyterian Church. On the
26th of May, 1858, the Associated Presbyterian
and the Associate Reformed Presbyterian
societies of the Northern States consolidated
under the name of the United Presbyterian
Church. The churches of this county are at-
tached to the First Synod of the West and to
the Lake Presbytery. The Synod embraces
all of the churches in Pennsylvania west of
the Allegheny and portions of Ohio and
Michigan, The Presbytery covers Erie and
Crawford counties, a portion of Mercer, and
a small part of Trumbull county, Ohio.

Episcopal (8). — Emanuel, Corry, 1864;
Cross and Crown, Erie, 1867; Miles Grove,
1862 ; Mission of the Holy Cross, North East,



142



NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY



1872; St. Paul's, Erie, 1827; St. John's, Erie,
1867; Union City, 1875; St. Peter's, Water-
ford borough, 1827. The churches of Erie
county are embraced in the Diocese of Pitts-
burg. The diocese inchides all of Pennsyl-
vania west of the eastern lines of Somerset,
Cambria, Clearfield, Elk, Cameron and Mc-
Kean counties. The Pittsburg Diocese was
organized November 15, 1865, on which date
Rev. John B. Kerfoot was elected bishop.
His consecration took place on the ensuing
26th of January. He was succeeded by Rev.
Dr. Cortland Whitehead, who was consecrated
on January 25, 1882, and remains in the posi-
tion. The Erie Deanery was erected on the
12th ot June, 1874.

UnCtcii Brethren ( 13).— Branchville, Mc-
Kean township, about 1866; Corry, 1864;
Clark settlement, Harbor Creek township,
1856; Erie, 1878; Elk Creek and Girard line,
1870 ; Elk Creek township, 1853 ; Fairview
township, about 1857; Greene and Venango
line, 1871 ; Macedonia, Venango township,

; New Ireland, LeBnpuf township, 1876;

Shattuck's Corners, Greenfield township, about
1874; Union City, 1872; Wayne Valley,
Wayne township, 1870.

Roniau Catholic (16). — Albion, prior to
1850; St. Mary's, Erie, 1833; St. Patrick's,
Erie, 1837; St. Joseph's, Erie, about 1853;
St. John's, Erie, 1869; St. Andrew's, Erie,
1871; St. Thomas's, Corry, 1860; St. Eliza-
beth, Corry, 1875; St. John's, Girard, 1853;
St. IBoniface's, Greene township, 1857 ; St.
Peter's, Greene township, 1870; St. Mat-
thew's, Summit township, 1867; St. Francis
Xavier's, Middleboro, 1833; St. Gregory's,
North East, 1854; St. Theresa's, Union City,
1857 ; St. Cyprian's, Waterford Station, 1878.

Methodist Episcopal (55).— Albion, prior
to 1850; Ash's Corners. Washington town-
ship, 1867; Asbury, Mill Creek township,
1846; Asbury, Union township, 1840; Beaver
Dam, 1838;"Carter Hill, about 1835 ; Corry,
1862; Cherry Hill, 1858; Concord township,
1879; Cranesville, about 1880; Crane road,
Franklin township, 1867; East Springfield,
1825; Edinboro, 1829; Edenville, LeBoeuf
township, 1839; Elgin, 1854; Eureka, 1867;
First Church. Erie, 1826; Fair Haven, Girard
township, 1815; Fairplain, Girard township,
1840; Fairview borough, 1817; Franklin Cor-
ners, 1866; Gospel Hill. Harbor Creek town-
ship, 1816; Greenfield, 1836; Girard borough,



1815; Harbor Creek, 1834; Hatch Hollow,
Amity township, prior to 1835; Hamlin,
Summit township. 1837 ; Keepville, about
1867 ; Lowville, 187.5 ; Lockport, 1843 ; Miles
Grove, 1867 : McLane, Washington township,
1863; Mill Village, prior to 1810; Middle-
boro, 1819; North Corry, 1870; North East
borough, 1812; Northville, about 1820 ; Phil-
lipsville, prior to 1848; South Harbor Creek,
Harbor Creek township, prior to 1830 ; Simp-
son Church, Erie, 1858; Sterrettania, 1842;
South Hill, McKean township, about
1860; Sharp's Corners, Waterford township,
1838; Sherrod Hill, ; Tower school-
house, Venango township, ; Tenth street,

Erie, 1867; Union Citv, 1817; Waterford
borough, 1814; Wellsburg, 1838; Wattsburg,
1827 ; West Springfield. 1801 ; Wales, Greene
township, about 1850; West Greene, 1827;
Wesleyville, 1828.

The Methodist Episcopal Churches in Erie
county are attached to the Erie Conference,
organized in 1836, the bounds of which extend
on the west to the Ohio State line, on the
east to a line running slightly beyond James-
town, N. Y., and Ridgway, Pa., and on
the south to a line running east and west be-
low New Castle, Pa. The conference is sub-
divided into six Presiding Elders' districts,
viz. : Erie, Clarion, Franklin, Jamestown,
Meadville and New Castle. The Erie Dis-
trict includes the churches of Erie, Mill
Creek, Fairview, Girard, Greene, Greenfield,
Harbor Creek, McKean, North East, Summit,
Springfield, Wesleyville and Waterford; the
Meadville District "those of Albion, Edinboro,
Lockport, Mill Village, Union and Wattsburg;
the Jamestown District those of Corry.

Univcrsalist (5). — Corrv, 1877; Erie,
1844 ; Girard, about 1850; Wellsburg, 1838;
West Springfield, 1848.

Evangelical Association (6). — Emanuel,
Summit township, about 1838; Salem, Fair-
view and Mill Creek line, 1833; Salem, Erie,
1838; Mt. Nabo, Farview borough, 1833;
North East borough, 1870; congregation at
Sterrettania.

Geriimii Evangelical ( 1 ).— St. Paul's,
Erie, 1850.

Lutheran (10). — St. John's Evangelical
Lutheran and Reformed, Erie, 1835; Ger-
man Evangelical Lutheran Trinity, Erie, 1881 ;
First English Evangelical Lutheran, Erie,
1861 ; Evangelical Lutheran, Girard borough.



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY.



143



1866; Evangelical Lutheran, Fairview, 1856 ;
St. Paul's German Lutheran, Mill Creek
township, about 1836; St. Paul's German
Evangelical, North East, 1864; St. Jacob's
Evangelical United, Fairview township, 1852 ;
Franklin Township Church, 1871 ; German
(Lutheran), Corry, about 1874.

Baptist (16).— Corry, 1868; Edinboro,
1838; Franklin and Elk Creek line, 1866;
First Church, Erie, 1831 ; German Church,
Erie, 1861 ; Lowrey settlement. Harbor Creek
township, 1822; McLane, Washington town-
ship, 1838; North East, 1832; Newman's
Bridge, Waterford township, 1832 or 1833;
Pageville, 1839 ; Second Greenfield Union
Free-Will Baptist, Greenfield township, 1881 ;
Union City, 1859; Waterford and Amity
line, about 1835; West Springfield, 1826;
Wattsburg, 1850; Wellsburg, 1839.

Christian (8).— Corry, 1864; Draketown,
1877; East Springfield, 1826 ; Fairview town-
ship, 1835; Girard and Franklin line, 1872;
Hare Creek, Wayne township, 1877; McLal-
len's Corners, 1828; Oak Hill, Waterford
township, 1854.

Disciple (2).— Albion, 1880; Lockport,
1877.

Congrcgatioiial. — Corry, 1874.

Hcbrczv.—Er\e, 1858;" Corry, about 1873

^•4



Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 24 of 192)