Copyright
Benjamin Whitman.

Nelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r online

. (page 28 of 192)
Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 28 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


longer period than any other man in the coun-
ty, if not in the State. Appointed by Gov.
Ritner in 1888, he has held the oflice, with
the exception of one or two brief intervals,
ever since.



CHAPTER XXI,



Doctors, Surgeons and Dentists.



THE first and, for a number of years, the
only resident physician in Eriecounty,
was Dr. John C. Wallace, who located
in the borough of Erie about the time
of its first settlement. He continued
in the practice of medicine nearly to the day
of his death, whicii occurred on the 8th of De-
cember, 18:27.

Dr. Plara Thayer located in or near Erie
about 1811, and was joined in a short time by
his brother. Dr. Albert Thayer. They resided
on Federal Hill, and their practice extended
over a good part of the county.

Dr. Asa Coltrin settled in Erie about 1815,
and continued in practice until his death in
November, 1824. The next physician in Erie
was Dr. Peter Christie, who was a surgeon in
the United States navy.

The list of Erie physicians was increased
by the arrival of Dr. William Johns in 1822,
and by Drs. Taber and Elijah Beebe in 1825.
All of these remained until their decease.

Dr. Peter Faulkner located in South Erie
in 1825. After a time he changed to Craw-
ford county, but returned to Erie in 1848.
His sons, Drs. William and Robert Faulkner,
both became practitioners in Erie at a com-
paratively early period.

Dr. Jacob Vosburg reached Erie the same
year as Dr. Faulkner, and Dr. Sanford Dickin-
son, who had practiced in Wattsburg a short
time, removed to Erie in 1840.

Outside of Erie, the earliest physician was
Dr. James Smedley, who located in North
East at an early day. Dr. Ira Sherwin made
his home in Harbor Creek in 1825, and Dr.
W. T. Bradley in Wesleyville about 1840.
Dr. Rufus Hills practiced in Girard from an
early date until 1830, when he changed to
Erie. He removed to Pittsburg, where he
died. Dr. M. C. Kellogg practiced in connec-
tion with Dr. Vosburg at Erie until 1881,
when he changed to Girard. He died in Al-
bion, to which place he had removed, in 1855.



Among the physicians of prominence in
Erie, at a later period, were Dr. William A.
Wallace, Dr. P. Hall, Dr. C. Sevens, Dr. T.
H. Stuart, Dr. S. Dickinson, Dr. J. L. Stew-
art, Dr. Perkins, Dr. H. A. Spencer, Dr. N.
vSeymour, Dr. George Bennett, Dr. W. O.
Gilson, Dr. Charles Aichner and Dr. E. W.
Germer — not naming those who are still in
active practice in the city. Dr. Seymour re-
moved to North East in 1894, and still gives
some attention to the practice of medicine.

LAW AS TO REGISTRY.

The law of Pennsylvania provides that
every person engaged in the regular practice
of medicine or surgery shall be a graduate of
a legally chartered medical college or univer-
sity, and have his diploma registered in the
Prothonotary's ofiice in the county where he
resides. In case the diploma has been lost, a
certified copy of the same may be presented,
or, if not obtainable, the party may make affi-
davit to the fact, with the name of the school
he attended. Exception is made in the case of
physicians who have been in continuous prac-
tice within this commonwealth for a long
period. These are allowed to continue in
practice, but must appear before the Prothon-
otary and make affidavit in accordance with
the law.

LIST OF REGISTERED PHYSICIANS.

Below is a list of the physicians who regis-
tered in Erie county up to July 1, 1895, with
the colleges from which they graduated, the
time when, or the periods they claimed on the
day of registry to have practiced. When no
dates are given, they do not appear on the
registry, due probably to an oversight in re-
cording :

ERIE.

A — Charles Aichner, University of Basle,
Switzerland, 1857.
E. P. Abbott, JefTerson Medical Col-



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY.



167



lege of Philadelphia, 1877.

Oscar F. Aichner, Jefferson Medical
College of Philadelphia, 1893.
B — P. Barkey, University of Medicine and
Surgery, Philadelphia, Pa., 1871.

J. Q. H. Bassett. practiced a number
of years. Diploma destroyed in
Chicago fire.

Charles Brandes, practice since 1845.

Mrs. E. S. Burnham, practice for twen-
ty years.

Linnie Burnham, Electropathic Insti-
tute of Binghamton, N. Y., 1879.

E. P. Banning, Sr., College of Medi-
cine at Evansville, Ind.

W. F. Ball, United States Medical
College, New York.

A. A. Bancroft. Homoeopathic Medical
College of Pennsylvania, 1869.

Louis B. Baker, University of Buffalo,
1882.

Max Bosch, practice since 1871.

William K. Byron, University of Buf-
falo, 1890. '

B. F. Brubaker, Medico-Chirurgical
College of Philadelphia, 1893.

C — Jeannette Caldwell, Homeopathic Col-
lege, New York City, 1876.

J. S. Carter, practice since 1840.

J. T. Clark, National Medical College,
Washington, D. C , 1870.

W. K. Cleveland, University of the
City of New York, I860 ; New York
Ophthalmic Hospital, 1860; Belle-
vue Hospital, 1862, and Homoeo-
pathic Medical Board of Canada,
1869,

Edward Cranch, University of George-
town, D. C, 1873.

C. B. Chidester, Baltimore College of
Physicians and Surgeons, 1881.

J. M. Cooper, Jefferson Medical Col-
lege of Philadelphia, 1888.
D — J. C. M. Drake, Hahnemann Medical
College, Chicago, 1880.

Michael C. Dunnigan, Bellevue Medi-
cal College, New York City, 1875.

James H. Delaney, Bellevue Hospital
Medical College, New York, 1886.

John Doll, practice since 1886.

David N. Dennis, Jefferson Medical
College of Philadelphia, 1881.

George S. Dickinson, Jefferson Medi-
cal College of Philadelphia, 1893.



E — Martin Ernst, attended lectures upon
surgery by Prof. Buntz, at Delbruge,
Germany ; diploma lost.

W. C. Evans, Western Reserve Col-
lege, Cleveland, Ohio, 1854.

William Evans, College of Physicians
and Surgeons, New York, 1890.
F — Robert Faulkner, Homoeopathic Medi-
cal College, New York City, 1867.

W^illiam Faulkner, Geneva Medical
College, Geneva, N. Y., 1842.

Eugene B, Fletcher, Cleveland Medi-
cal College, 1879.

John F. Flint, University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor, 1881.

A. A. Freeman, Universitv of Buffalo,
1876,

Charles A. French, Western Reserve
College, Cleveland, 1876.

J. Finert}', Niagara University of Buf-
falo.

B. F. French, Hahnemann Medical
College, Philadelphia, 1880.

H. E. Flint, HoHKeopathic Medical
College, Universitv of Michigan,
1891.
H. H. Foringer, Western Reserve Uni-
versity, Cleveland, 1893.
G — Henry F. Garey, Washington Univer-
sity, Baltimore, 1876.

George A. Carries, Western Reserve
Medical College, Cleveland, 1881.

E. D. Gates, University ^^ictoria Col-
lege, Medical Department, 1859.

E. W. Germer, Medical College of
Vienna, also certificate from Freiburg
University.

Thomas H. Gray, University of Michi-
gan, 1871.

Amos S. Gregory, Union College of
Medicine and Surgery, Philadelphia,
Pa., 1872.

S. F. Ginner, practice of medicine
since 1870.

W. O. Gilson, Western Reserve Uni-
versity of Ohio.

H. C. Galster, Cleveland Medical Col-
lege, 1892.

Eugene D. Geer, license from State
Medical Council, February 16, 1895.
II — Peter Hall, practice since 1844.

Susan A. Hills, practice since 1871.

John N. Hauptmann, University of
Michigan, 1892.



1 68



NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY



Wallace R. Hunter, University of
Pennsylvania, 1890.

F. L. Hall, Western Reserve Univer-
sity of Ohio, 188l>.
I — J. L. Ireland, Hahnemann Medical Col-
lege of Philadelphia, 1893.
L — John M. Lewis, Bellevue Medical Col-
lege, New York City, 1880.

A. S. Lovett, Ann Arbor, Michigan,
University of Michigan.
M — Susan Meyer, practice for fifteen
years.

A. McPherson, Hahnemann Medical
College of Chicago, 1885.

James H. Montgomery, New York
College of Physicians and Surgeons.

Alfred Mullhaupt, Jefferson Medical
College of Philadelphia, 1884.

Helena M. Mullhaupt, Women's Medi-
cal College of Philadelphia, 1880.

Alvin J. Miller, Hahnemann Medical
College, Philadelphia, 1880.

R. T. Marks, Homo-opathic Hospital
College, Cleveland, 1880.
N — William Nick, practice sirce 1859.

H. C. Nick, practice since 1867.

William F. Nick, practice since 1859.

Frederick Nick, practice since 1869.
P — Anna Pressley, Electropathic Institute

of Binghamton, N. Y., 1882.
R — A. Z. Randall, University of Michi-
gan, Ann Arbor, 1864.

David P. Robbins, University of
Michigan.
S — Nelson Seymour, practice for thirty-
five years.

James E. Silliman, Jefferson Medical
College, Philadelphia, 1874.

Byron A. Smith, practice since 1866.

Mrs. Jane A. Smith, practice since
1865.

H. A. Spencer, Western Reserve Col-
lege, Cleveland, Ohio, 1851.

J. L. Stewart, University of Pennsyl-
vania, Philadelphia, Pa., 1848.

Chester W. Stranahan, Jefferson Medi-
cal College of Philadelphia, 1867.

D. H. Strickland, University of Penn-
sylvania, 1863.

Jones J. Seward, Medical College of
Ohio at Cincinnati, 1883.

C. J. A. Schneider, University of New
York, 1880.



Henry C. Statzer, Homoeopathic Hos-
pital College, Cleveland, 1886.

Wm. O. Smith, University of Pennsyl-
vania, 1878.

Augustus Soper, Ontario College of
Physicians and Surgeons.

J. W. Seip, Jefferson Medical College
of Philadelphia, 1883.
T — Alvin Thayer, practice since 1845.

Robert D. Tipple, Homoeopathic Col-
lege of Cleveland, 1878.

G. S. Tubbs, practice since 1870.

J. C. Thorns, Homoeopathic College
of Cleveland.

C. C. Taylor, Homoeopathic College
of Cleveland, 1894.
U — George Ulrich, German Medical Col-
lege of Germany, 1860.

G. F. E. Umrath, practice since 1872.
W— Richard H. Walker, Medical Depart-
ment of Wooster University, Cleve-
land, 1879.

Mrs. A. B. Woods, Women's Medical
College of Pennsylvania, 1876.

Arthur A W^oods, Miami Medical
College, Cincinnati, 1876.

Mary A. B. Woods, Western Homoeo-
pathic College, Cleveland, 1864.

John Wilbur, University City of New
York.

I. N. Willard, Bellevue Medical Hos-
pital College of New York, 1875.

Emerson J. Wood, practice since 1871.

Samuel H. Warren, University of Buf-
falo, 1880.

Albert W. Wilson, Philadelphia Elec-
tropathic Institute, 1889.

Arthur C. Wheeler, Columbia College,
New York, 1898.



Almon S. Bonsteel, Bellevue Hospital Col-
lege, New York City, 1872.

S. R. Breed, practice since 1856.

Reuben Brinker, Jefferson Medical Col-
lege, Philadelphia, 1851.

Charles Adams Bush, practice since 1871.

Jolm B. Chace, American Medical Col-
lege, Cincinnati.

D. E. DeRoss, Eclectic College of Cincin-
nati, 1875.

G. A. Elston, Medical Department of Uni-
versity of New York, 1880.



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY.



169



H. G. Fay, Medical Society of Steuben
Co., N. Y., 1875.

Daniel D. Franklin, Eclectic Institute
of Cincinnati, 1850.

Flora Hayward Stanford, Boston Univer-
sity.

Emma L. Jordan, Eclectic Medical Col-
lege, Philadelphia, 1879.

C. B. Kibler, University of Buffalo, 1870.
H. O. Mackres, University of Buffalo, 1867.

B. H. Phelps, Cleveland Medical College,
1871.

Manhattan Pickett, Medical College of
Buffalo, 1869.

Joseph R. Phillips, Homoeopathic Hospia
tal College at Cleveland.

D. C. Storer, practice since 1862.
Henry S. Tanner, Eclectic Medical Col-
lege of Cincinnati, 1859.

J. E. Weeks, University of Michigan, Ann
Arbor.

Oliver J. Shannon, N. Y. Free Medical
College, 1876.

James \V. Chace, Med. Dept. of Univer-
sity'of Buffalo, 1885.

F. C. Price, Medical College of Ohio, Cin-
cinnati, 1879.

G. H. Waggoner, Hahnemann Medical
College, Chicago. 1882.

C. H. McCoy, practice since 1869.

Jno. C. Jackson, Homoeopathic Hospital
Med. College^ Cleveland, 1882.

Melvin L. Adams, Homoeopathic Hospital
Med. College, Cleveland.

H. W. Thayer, Rush Medical College,
Chicago.

A. M. Fisher, Jefferson Medical College,
Philadelphia, 1890.



P. P. Fisher, College of Physicians and
Surgeons, Baltimore, 1881.

D. R. Waggoner, Medical College of Ohio,
1872.

John W. Jarvis (Middleboro) , University
at Ann Arbor, Mich., 1869.

George M. Edick, College of Physicians
and Surgeons, 1883.

John N. Bo^vers, Western Reserve Univer-
sity of Ohio, 1885.

W. T. Greenfield, Miami Medical College.
Cincinnati, 1883.

Earl B. Potter, Western Pennsylvania
Medical College, Pittsburg, 1892.
12



WTATTSBURG.

D. T. Bennett, Eclectic Medical Associa-
tion of Pennsylvania, 1876.

Samuel F. Chapin, Yale Medical College,
1859.

G. Thickstun, Bellevue Hospital Medical
College, New York City, 1864.

William C. Tracy, Harvard Medical Col-
lege, Boston, 1866.

Joseph C. Shuey, Western Reserve Uni-
versity, Ohio, 1876.

FAIRVIEW.

M. D. Satterlee, University of New
York City, 1879.

M. A. Millard, University of Buffalo, 1873.

W. J. Weeks, practice since 1870.

F. L. Hart, W^estern Reserve Universitv,
Ohio, 1892.

GIRARD.

A. G. Ely, Geneva Medical College,
Geneva, N. Y., 1840.

T. J. Kellogg, practice since 1836.

A. R. Smith, Eclectic Medical Institute of
Cincinnati, 1858.

I. N. Taylor, University of Pennsylvania,
Philadelphia, 1866.

Helen M. Weeks. Honoeopathic College,
Cleveland, Ohio.

J. M. Ealy, Western Reserve Universitv,
Ohio, 1884.

Earl M. Pratt, Western Reserve Uni-
versity, Ohio.

B." C. Ely, Medical College of Castle-
ton, Vt.

R. H. Duff, Adalbert College of Western
Reserve University of Ohio.

UNION CITY.

O. L. Abbey, University of Buffalo, 1863.

Stephen R. Davis, practice since 1872.

Mrs. .S. R. Davis, practice since 1872.

Curtis N. Goucher, Medical Department
of the Western Reserve College of Hudson,
Ohio, 1870.

James F. Read, practice since 1838.

L. D. Rockwell, University of Penn-
sylvania, Philadelphia, 1874.

Alfred C. Sherwood, University- of Penn-
sylvania, 1878.

Ernest B. Smith, Cleveland Homoeopathic
Hospital College, 1882.

William J. Humphrey, Universitv of
Buff"alo, 1890.'



t7o



NELSON'S BtOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY



John W.Wright, Jefferson Medical College
of Philadelphia, 1890.

H. M. Northain, HomrEopathic Medical
College, University of Michigan, 1893.

William S. Pierce, University of New
York, 1884.

J. C. Agard, practice since 1857.

H. L. Leonard, Eclectic Medical In-
stitute of Cincinnati.

Clarence G. Hollister, registered in Craw-
ford county.

George D. Marsh, Jefferson Medical Col-
lege of Philadelphia.

Edson C. Barker, Eclectic Medical Col-
lege of Cincinnati, 1880.

D. S. Brown, Western Reserve University
of Ohio, 1884.

G. E. Humphry, University of Pennsyl-
vania.

N. Cheney, practice since 1871.

NORTH EAST.

John K. Griffin, University of Buffalo,
1865.

L. G. Hall, Medical Universitv of Buffalo,
1850.

A. B. Heard, Detroit Medical College, '
1872.

D. D. Loop, University of Buffalo, 1865. |

Burton H. Putnam, University of Buffalo.

A. T- Sears, University of Wooster, Cleve- !
land, 1878. ^

George B. Stillman, College of Physicians
and Surgeons, Baltimore, 1880. j

Mullin A. Wilson, New York HomtBO-
pathic Medical College, New York City.

M. C. Smith, Baltimore College of Phy-
sicians and Surgeons.

James W. Losee, Homeopathic Medical
College of Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1891.

Arthur J. Adams, Ontario College of
Physicians and Surgeons, 1877.

J. C. Dowville, University of Maryland,
Baltimore, 1892.



P. D. Flower, Philadelphia University of
Medicine and Surgery, 1869.

O. Logan, practice for twenty-five years;
Medical University of Buffalo, 1882.

James S. Skeels, Western Reserve Medi
cal College at Hudson, Ohio, 1848.

William S. Hubbard, Pulte Medical Col-
lege, Cincinnati, 1887.



WATERFORD.

T. W. Barton, Buffalo Medical College,
1862.

John W. Bowman, Cleveland Medical
College, 1859.

Frank L. Clemens, Jefferson jSIedical Col-
lege, Philadelphia, 1881.

L. A. Burrows, Eclectic Medical Institute,
Cincinnati, 1887.

Eugene E. Kendall, Jefferson Medical Col-
lege, Philadelphia, 1887.

Charles L. Townlev, Western Reserve
University of Ohio, 1884.

Henry L. Stern, Cleveland Medical Col-
lege, 1892.

SPRINGFIELD.

George Ellis, Hudson Medical College of
Cleveland, Ohio, 1869.

Charles N. Moore, Hygeia Therapeutic
College, New York, 1804.

Lamarr V. Knapp, Buft'alo Medical Col-
lege, 1873.

Joseph R. Hewett, practice since 1865.

John Ross, practice since 1860.

b. O. Blakeslee, College of Physicians
and Surgeons of Baltimore, 1882.

Ranson C. Sloan. Buffalo Medical College,
1869.

Thomas Purcell, Buffalo Medical Univer-
sity, 1888.

A. H. Cartright, Western Reserve Uni-
versity of Ohio, 1888.

Charles O. Robinson, Western Pennsyl-
vania Medical College, Pittsburg, 1891.

N. J. Cooper, license from State Medical
Council, June 16, 1894.

EDINBOEO.

George M. Cole, Eclectic College of Cin-
cinnati, 1881.

Willard Greenfield, practice for twenty-
eight years.

Truman Hawkins, Western Reserve L^ni-
versity, 1850. "

S.B. Hotchkiss, Belle vue Hospital :Medi-
cal College, New York City, 1871.

Henry R. Terry, Jefferson Medical College,
Philadelphia, 1863.

Joseph C. Wilson, Starling Medical Col-
lege, Columbus, 1851.

Frank G. Greenfield, Miami Medical Col-
lege, Cincinnati, 1882.

M. C. Cornell, Baltimore College of Phy-
sicians and Surgeons, 1884.



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY.



MILL VILLAGE.

William P. Biles, Eclectic Medical Insti-
tute of Cincinnati, 1879.

John H. Kirk, University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor, 1875.

G. W. Wilson, practice since 1860.

John J. Sharp, University of the City of
New York, 1883.

William O. Smith, Bellevue Hospital Medi-
cal College, New York, 1887.

W. K. Andrews, Medical Department,
University of City of New York, 1889.

WELLSBURG.

M. V. B. Johnson, Medical College of
Cincinnati, 18(35

Mary Steward, University of Medicine and
Surgery, Philadelphia, 1878.

Milton M. Henry, Western Reserve Uni-
versity of Ohio, 1885.

Francis M. Temple, University of Pennsyl-
vania, 1884.

Robt. M. Powers, Western Pennsylvania
Medical College, Pittsburg, 1890.

Joel M. Peters, Jefferson Medical College
of Pennsylvania, 1889.

MILES GROVE.

James C. Leffingvvell, University of Mich-
igan, 1878.

WiUard F. Greenfield, Miami Medical
College of Cincinnati, 1888.

R. W. Clark, Adelbert College, Western
Reserve University of Ohio.

F. W. Dunning, University of City of New
York.

WESLEYVILLE.

M. M. Moore, practice since 185:^.
Charles L. Allen. Jefferson Medical Col-
lege, Philadelphia, 187l^

OTHER LOCALITIES

H. R. Hayes, Amity Township, practice
since 1801.

J. L. Bennett, East Greene, practice for
twenty-one years.

Johnson Wright, Franklin Township,
Homeopathic Hospital College, Cleveland,
1878.

Barker A. Skinner, Elgin, University of
Wooster, 1878.

George Wright, Lockport, Homcpopathic
Hospital College, Cleveland, 1871.

W. V. Blakeslee, Concord Township,
practice since 1846.



M. B. Cook, Harbor Creek, Cleveland
I Medical College, 1877.

i James G. Leffingwell, Miles Grove, Michi-

' gan University, Ann Arbor, 1878.
j W. L. Shawk, Harbor Creek, Western

•Reserve University of Ohio, 1883.

Charles G. Miller, Harbor Creek, practice
" since before 1871."

L. D. Church, Cherry Hill, practice since
I 1858.

F. A. Beebe, Finley's Lake, Wooster
University, Cleveland, 1877.
I D. Ripley, Sr., Greene township, practice

I since 1871.

Thomas L. Mills, Philadelphia University
of Medicine and Surgery, 1876.

Homer L. Clark, Universitv of Marj'land,
1885.

MEDICAL SOCIETIES.

The first Erie County Medical Society was
organized in 1829, with the following officers :
President, William Johns; vice president, A.
Thayer; secretary, F. W. Miller; treasurer,
A. IBeebe; censors, J. Sinedley, Jacob Vos-
burg, A. N. Molton.

The present Medical Society of Erie
county was established in 1841 and has been
in perpetual existence ever since. Among its
presidents and other officers have been some
of the most prominent physicians in the
count}'.

Hoiiuvopathv ai/d the Hoinceopathic Medi-
cal Society. — The Homeopathic Medical So-
ciety of Erie County was organized July 1,
1891, by the following physicians : Edward
Cranch, J. C. M. Drake, J. R. Phillips, J. F.
Flint, H. E. Flint, J. S. Skeels, M. A. Wil-
son, J. T. Sturtevant, R. T. Marks, A. Mc-
Pherson, D. W. Byron, M. A. B. Woods.

The following have since become mem-
bers: "W. S. Hubbard, W. K. Cleveland, J.
O. Jackson, J. M. Stemm, H. C. Galster, J.
L. Ireland, E. F. Gifford, Wm. R. Powell.

Homoeopathy was first practiced in Erie
by Dr. Bianchini, a learned Italian, who lo-
cated in the city about 1840. Soon after came
Dr. Nelson Seymour, lately removed to North
East. Dr. Peter Faulkner, a practitioner of
allopathy from 1818, became an enthusiastic
convert, and was followed by his son. Robert.
An organization of homoeopathic physicians
of Erie and neighboring towns existed in 1866,
and later in 1878.



17*



NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY



A corporation for the purpose of establish-
ing a hospital, free dispensary and training
school for nurses in Erie was chartered in
1894, including twelve physicians of the city
and county, but its objects as to the hospital
and training school are as yet unfulfilled. The
free dispensary has been in operation for some
time.

LIST OF DENTISTS.

The earliest dentist was a traveling man
who stopped in Erie for a short time in 1826.
He made a set of false teeth for the wife of
Rev. Dr. Whallon, who was the first woman
in the county to enjoy that sort of a luxury. A
dentist by the name of O. N. Sage practiced
in Erie several years. The first permanent
dentist was Dr. O. N. Elliott, who settled in
Erie about 1840. The next was Dr. W. E.
Magill.

The dentists of the county who have regis-
tered under the Act of Assembly, passed
April 17, 1876, and amended May 17, 1883,
are given below, in the order of their registry,
up to July 1, 1895:

1883— F. H. Abell. Practiced (except for
eight months in 1878) for sixteen years.

1883 — Henry B. Blair. Practiced twenty-
four years.

1883 — F. H. Lawrence. Practiced nine
years.

1883— W. E. Magill. Practiced twenty
years.

1883 — T- H. Devore. Diploma of the
Philadelphia Dental College.

1883 — Andrew McPherson. Practiced
since 1872.

1883 — T. J. Elliott. Practiced eight years.
1883 — L. Essick. Practiced twenty years.
1883— George B. TVIcDonald. Diploma
from the Philadelphia Dental College.

1883— G. F. McDonald. Practiced nine
years.

1883— O. L. Elliott. Practiced thirty-six
years.

1883 — Perry A. Gibson. Diploma from
the State University of Iowa.

1883— V. D. Gibson. Practiced twelve
years.

1883 — T- H. GiflFord. Practiced ten years.
1883— W. L. Battles. Diploma from the
University of Pennsylvania.

1883 — G. J. Mead. Practiced fifteen
years.



1883 — E. R. Allen. Practiced nineteen
years.

1883 — J. H. Nelson. Practiced fourteen
years.

1883 — M. C. Burgess. Practiced eleven
years.

1883- C. H. Harvey. Practiced fifteen
years.

1883— S. R. Bryant. Practiced fifteen
years.

1883 — Frank C. Callaghan. Diploma from
the Indiana Dental College.

1883— T. D. IngersoU. Practiced ten
years.

1883— Edward E. Giftord. Practiced nine-
teen years.

1883— H. L. Wilkins. Diploma from
Indiana Medical College.

1884— W. T. Kendall. Practiced for
twenty-three years.

1884 — B. D. Schlaudecker. Diploma from
Philadelphia Medical College.

1884— D. D. Magill. Diploma from Uni-
versity of Michigan.

1884 — Lewis Craine. Diploma from Uni-
versity of Michigan.

1884 — F. C. Higgins. Diploma from
Pennsylvania College of Dental Surgery.

1885 — George G. Hollister. Diploma from
Indiana Dental College.

1886— S. M. White. Diploma from Phila-
delphia Dental College.

1887 — James A. Hodkins. Diploma from
Philadelphia Dental College.

1887 — P. E. Wood. Diploma from Penn-
sylvania College of Dental Surgery.

1887 — H. G. Keeler. Diploma' from Penn-
sylvania College of Dental Surgery.

1887 — L. G Gable. Diploma from Penn-
sylvania College of Dental Surgery.

1888— W. M. Hackman. Practiced for fif-
teen years.

1888 — James A. Mead. Practiced for four-
teen years.

1888— G. R. McKay. Diploma Philadel-
phia Dental College.

1889 — Herman Muller. Diploma Balti-
more Dental College.

1889 — C. G. Woolsey. Diploma Universi-
ty of Pennsylvania.

1890 — Jno. V. Anderson. Diploma Uni-
versity of Iowa.

1890 — Geo. B. Cameron. Diploma Phila-
delphia Dental College.



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY.



1890— C. F. Rodgers. Diploma Phila-
delphia Dental College.

1890— James Brady. Diploma Philadel-
phia Dental College.

1890— Frank E. Taft. Diploma Dental
Department of Central University, Louisville.



Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 28 of 192)