Copyright
Benjamin Whitman.

Nelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r online

. (page 78 of 192)
Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 78 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


March 28, 1850, and the sum of $1,500 was
paid down as required by the contract, a ma-
jority of the incorporators signing a judgment
bond to secure the remaining $6,000, which
they agreed to pay in four equal annual
payments, together with interest thereon, re-
lying with confidence that the sale of lots
would fully indemnify them.

In procuring a suitable person to lay out
the grounds the managers found no little diffi-
culty. They succeeded at last in engaging
the services of H. Daniels, who proved to be
the right man for the place. He was assisted
by Samuel Low, w'ho became the first Superin-
tendent of the cemetery. Not much work was
accomplished until April, 1851, but after that it
went along rapidly. Walks and driveways were
constructed, the grounds cut into harmonious
sections, and trees and shrubbery planted wher-
ever they would add beauty to the natural land-
scape. Among other things done at that time
was the setting out of the splendid row of trees
which lines the west side of Chestnut street.
The tract purchased was mainly covered with
forest trees, and these, with rare exceptions,
made necessary by the opening of the avenues,
were wisely allowed to remain as nature had
placed them.

It was a strange coincidence that A. W.
Brewster, who had been so active in promoting
the enterprise, should be the first one interred
in the new cemetery. Two others of the cor-
porators — W. W. Reed and John Hughes —
died before the annual meeting in January,
1852. The deceased members were succeeded
by Joseph H. Pressly, John Evans and Wilson
King.

The formal opening of the cemetery took
place May 20, 1851. An address was deliv-
ered by the president of the board, Geo. A.
Eliot, and the dedicatory address was made
by Rev. George A. Lyon, other ceremonies
taking place usual on such occasions.



Since the cemetery was opened it has
undergone steady improvement, until it ranks
as one of the handsomest resting places for the
dead in the entire countrj'. Among the most
important of these were the enclosing of the
grounds by a high iron fence, the placing of a
neat porter's lodge at the main entrance, and
the erection of a fine chapel with receiving
vault connected. The latter, which was built
in 1887, is cruciform in shape, measuring
40x80 to the extremes, and is fifty feet from
the ground to the top of the roof. The build-
ing is of hammer-dressed Medina stone. The
vault portion contains eighty-four crj'pts for
coffins.

The Superintendents of the cemetery have
been as follows : Samuel Low, from its open-
ing until his death in June, 1869; Cassius W.
Low, his son, until December 4, 1871 ; Joseph
Vance, until October 1, 1889; Henry W.
Hay, until his death, in 1892; Mrs. E. E.
Hay, his wife, appointed February 1, 1892.
It is due to this lady to say that the responsi-
ble duties of the position were never per-
formed with more judgment and faithfulness,
nor more to the satisfaction of the public and
corporators.

The interments in the cemetery up to July
1, 1895, were 12,837.

The annual report for the year ending
May 6, 1895, shows that $128.50 were re-
ceived in that period for removals ; $358 for
the use of the vault and chapel ; $1,815 for the
making of graves, and $9,027 from the sale of
lots. The association held mortgage securities
to the value of $33,000, the interest of which
is applied to the improvement of the ceme-
tery.

The act of incorporation provides as fol-
lows :

"Sec. 5. That the corporators thus created
shall derive no personal pecuniary advantage
or profit thereby ; they shall make no dividends
of the corporate property among themselves,
and shall not receive any pay or compensa-
tion for services as such. The whole proceeds
of the sale of lots, and other income, are hereby
declared and directed to be devoted to ceme-
tery purposes alone, and to such outlays and
expenditures as are incident thereto, unless in
case of a surplus not needed, in which con-
tingency it shall be in the power of the cor-
porators at their annual meeting to direct such
surplus, or any part thereof, to be appropriated



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY.



to charitable purposes under the direction and
supervision of the board of managers.

"Sec. 6. The corporation shall be capa-
ble of holding property to such an amount as
may be necessary for the purposes of its crea-
tion, and it shall be the duty of the corpora-
tion, at the end of five years from the passage
of this act, and forever thereafter, to set apart
ten per cent, of the purchase money received
from the sale of lots, and to invest the same in
ground rents or mortgages, as a permanent
and perpetual fund, the income of which is to
be devoted to the perpetual maintenance of
the_cemetery."

TRINITY CEMETERY.

Trinity Cemetery, the burial place of the
Catholic people of Erie and vicinity, i^ on the
Lake road, four miles west of the city, and is
reached by a fine drive through some of the
most charming scenery to be found in the lake
region. The Erie motor line extends beyond
the cemetery and cars run almost to its entrance
every few minutes during the summer and at
convenient intervals during the balance of the
year. Special trains are also made up, when
ordered for the convenience of funeral parties.
The cemetery contains thirty acres, nicely laid
out in walks and driveways, and planted with
trees. Many handsome monuments adorn the
grounds, and the time is not far distant when
the cemetery will be ranked among the most
beautiful cities of the dead.

The ceremony of consecrating Trinity Cem-
etery took place on Sunday afternoon. May 28,
1869, and was witnessed by thousands of
spectators. The procession, including the
several Catholic societies, headed by four
bands, formed on Eighth street and marched
to the cemetery, escorting Bishop Mullen and
the clergymen present. A large wooden
cross, the emblem of Christ crucified, had been
placed in the middle of the cemetery, around
which the societies formed a hollow square,
with the Bishop, clergy and choir in the cen-
ter. Bishop Alullen delivered a brief address,
followed by a sermon in the German language
by Father Wenderlein, of St. Mary's Church.
At its conclusion, the usual beautiful cere-
monies ordained by the Catholic Church on
such occasions were performed, and the pro-
ceedings were brought to a close with a prayer



for the repose of the soul of Bishop Young,
whose remains had been removed to the ceme-
tery.

The cemetery received its name because it
was consecrated on Trinity Sunday.

The title to the ground, as is usual with
Catholic cemeteries, is in Bishop Mullen and
his successors, and the Bishop exercises full
control over its management. All of the re-
venue from the sale of lots, etc., is sacredly
devoted to the improvement of the premises.
The land was purchased by Bishop Young,
being a portion of the Laird estate.

Since the opening of the cemetery it has
filled up with a rapidity that is surprising and
sorrowful, and it will be but a short time,
comparatively, until the boundaries will have
to be greatly extended.

Joseph Scheloski was the first Superintend-
ent, and continued ten years, until his death.
During his term the interments were 2,258.
He was succeeded by Joseph Haas, sr., who
remained until April 1, 1887, and was fol-
lowed by his son, Joseph, jr., who continues
in the position. Mr. Haas, sr., buried 2,316
persons, and his son. had buried 3,398 up to
July 1, 1895 — making altogether, 7,967.

POLISH CEMETERY.

The congregation of St. Stanislaus Church
owns a tract of two acres at the northwest
corner of Trinity Cemetery, which, while
really forming a part of the latter, is used as
an exclusive burial place for Polish people.
The land was purchased October 15, 1889, and
dedicated November 2 of the same year.

LAKESIDE CEMETERY ASSOCIATION.

This is the name of an organization formed
May 15, 1895, with the object of establishing
a new cemetery for the use of the general pub-
lic. The Association has secured control of
135 acres upon the bank of the lake, a short
distance east of the city, which it is proposed
to lay out according to the most approved
modern ideas. The officers are as follows :
President, Henry C. Duval ; Vice-President,
George Piatt; Secretary, R. Caughey ; Treas-
urer, Wm. H. Piatt ; Auditor, Walter Scott ;
Controller, Wm. H. Piatt. The laying out of
the cemetery into roads, walks and burial plots
was begun in August, 1895.



CHAPTKR X.

Social Clubs — Secret, Protective, Religious and Other Societies — Benevolent
Organizations, Etc. — [See Chapter VIII, Erie City, for Church Societies Generally.]



BELOW is a list of the several clubs,
societies, etc., in the city, with their
places of meeting, and the dates of
their organization, as nearly as the
same could be ascertained, after dili-
gent effort, up to December 1, 1895 :



Erie Caledonian Club, June, 1881.

Erie Club, Seventh street, between Peach
and Sassafras, January 10, 1882.

Cascade Club, Ball farm, on the Lake road,
west, about 1887-

Elks' Social Club, Ninth and State streets,
1888.

Erie Wanderers' Cycle Club, 925 French
street, September 4, 1890.

Penn Club, 618 Peach street, 1890.

Presque Isle Rifle Club, 505 French street,
October, 1891.

Erie Independent Club, 716 State street,
November 17, 1891.

Kahkwa Club, Tracy farm, north of Lake
road, 1898.

Reed House Pearl Club, 26 East Fifth
street, February 2, 1893.

Unique Club, Dime Bank Building, Sep-
tember 31, 1898.

Sommerheim Society, Tracy Point, fall of
1894.

Erie Yacht Club, bay front, near water
works, September 20, 1894.

Presque Isle Club, Penn Building, January
24, 1895.

Merchants' Club, Kneib block, spring of
1895.

Erie Athletic Club, September, 1895.

Coterie Club, October 2, 1895.

Erie Cycle Club, November, 1895.

West Side Cycle Club, November 14, 1895.



societies — secret, religious, benevolent,
protective, etc.

Ancient Order of United Workmen.

Rising Sun Lodge, No. 4, Seventh, be-
tween State and French streets, August 23,
1871.

Erie Lodge, No. 44, Peach and Sixteenth
streets, February 23, 1873.

Alexander Lodge, No. 56 (German), 1809
State street, 1873.

Active Lodge, No. 61, Keystone Bank
Building, October 4, 1873.

Garfield Lodge, No. 197, 730 State street,
October 6, 1882.

Benevolent Societies.

German Independent Benevolent Associa-
tion, July 4, 1842.

German Friendship Benevolent Associa-
tion, 1862.

German Benevolent Association of West
Erie, Plum and Fourth, 1868.

German- American Benevolent Association,
Peach and Twenty-sixth streets, January 6,
1875.

Hessen-Darmstadtischer Unterstuetzungs
Verein, Sassafras and Eighteenth streets, Octo-
ber, 1877.

Erie and Pittsburg Shops (Section No. 1)
Mutual Benefit Association, 1868 (re-organ-
ized August, 1879).

Bavarian Benevolent Society, Maennerchor
Hall, 1887.

German-American Brotherhood, Kessler's
Block, 1891.

Catholic Societies.

Catholic Knights of America (Branch 98),
Englehart's Hall, November, 1876.

Erie Catholic Casino, 1305 State street,
May 14, 1893 ; incorporated March 19, 1894.



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY.



473



Legion Club, Downing Block, organized
in February, 1893.

CatJioIic Benevolent Legion.

Erie Council, No. 367, Peach and Twenty-
sixth streets, December, 1891.

Paulinus Council, No. 392, Nagosky's
Hall, July 28, 1892.

Presque Isle Council, No. 393, Downing
Building, August 17, 1892.

Erie Council Relief Association, Peach
and Twenty-sixth streets, May 14, 1895.

Roman Catholic Union of the Knights of St.
John.

Battalion No. 1, of Northwestern Penn-
sylvania, Roman Catholic Union, January,
1892.

St. George's Commandery, No. 222, St.
Michael's School Hall, April, 1886.

St. Mary's Commandery, No. 208, St.
Mary's School Hall, November, 1891.

St. Casimer Commandery, St. Stanislaus
Hall, spring of 1892.

St. Maurice Commandery, No. 227, Parade
and Twenty-sixth streets, December, 1892.

St. Andrew's Commandery, No. 280, Plum
and Fourth streets, January, 1893.

Sacred Heart Commandery, No. 266,
March, 1894.

Catholic Mutual Benefit Association.

St. Joseph's Branch, No. 9, Peach and
Twenty'sixth streets, February 17, 1879.

St. Patrick's Branch, No. 12, 727 State
street, March 25, 1879.

St. Mary's Branch, No. 15, Nagosky's
Hall, December 5, 1879.

St. John's Branch, No. 18, Parade and
Twenty-sixth streets, January 15, 1881.

St. Andrew's Branch, No. 25, 727 State
street, August 20, 1883.

St. Michael's Branch, No. 99, St. Michael's
schoolhouse, March 24, 1891.

St. Peter's Branch, No. 20, Downing
Building, March 12, 1892.

St. Mary's Branch, No. 140, Nagosky's
Hall, February 24, 1895.

Sacred Heart Branch, No. 143, rear of
St. Joachim's Church, April 31, 1895.

St. Patrick's Branch, No. 145, 727 State
street, May 31, 1895.

St. Ann's Branch, No. 152. instituted Oc-
tober 25, 1892.



Ladies' Catholic Mutual Benevolent Associ-
ation.

Branch No. 7, Cathedral, 727 State street,
March 5, 1890.

Branch No. 10, St. Patrick's parish.
Downing Building, March 5, 1890.

Branch No. 11, St. Mary's parish, Nagos-
ky's Hall, March 26, 1890.

Branch No. 72, St. Michael's parish, base-
ment St. Michael's Church, April 23, 1891.

Branch No. 96, St. Joseph's parish,
Twenty-sixth and Peach streets, December 10,
1891.

Branch No. 49, St. Peter's parish. Down-
ing Building, April 17, 1892.

Branch No. 123, St. John's parish. Wal-
lace and Twenty-seventh streets, April 14,
1893.

Branch No. 128, St. Andrew's parish, 717
State street, August 22, 1893.

Branch 191, Sacred Heart parish. Hall of
Sacred Heart Church, May 10, 1895.

Mrs. J. A. Royer, of Erie, was elected
Supreme Recorder of the Supreme Council,
L. C. M. B. A., at the foundation of the
order, April 3, 1890, and has remained con-
tinuously in the position to this date.

Catholic Beneficial, Literary and Other
Societies.

St. George's Society, St. Mary's Church,
1852.

St. Alphonsus Relief Society, St. Joseph's
Church, October 18, 1868.

St. Joseph's Mutual Relief Society, St.
Joseph's Church, June 11, 1865.

St. Benedict's Society, St. Mary's Church,
1867.

St. Boniface Society, St. Mary's Church,
1867.

St. Aloysius Society, St. Mary's Church,
January, 18, 1894,

St. John's Benevolent Society, St. John's
Church, October 23, 1870

Third Order of St. Francis, St. John's
Church, September 11, 1887.

Trinity Portuguese Benevolent Associa-
tion, St. Andrew's Church, May 31, 1874.

St. Andrew's Mutual Relief Society, St.
Andrew's Church, 1874.

St. Stanislaus Benevolent Society, St.
Stanislaus Church, 1889.

Young Men's Society of St. Stanislaus
Kostka, St. Stanislaus Church, 1893.



474



NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY



Moniusko Dramatic Societ}-, St. Stanislaus
Church, 1892.

Matki B. Cz. Benevolent Society, St. Stan-
islaus Church, 1893.

Sacred Heart Benevolent Society, St. Jo-
achim's Church, April, 1895.

St. Michael's Benefit Society, St. Michael's
Church, April 4, 1895.

Sacred Heart Benevolent Society, St.
Stanislaus Church, September, 22, 1885.

St. Vincent de Paul Society, St. Patrick's
Church, organized in 1862.

Father Mathew Total Abstinence Society,
St. Patrick's Church, organized in 1866.

Third Order of St. Francis, St. Patrick's
Church, organized May 21, 1891.

The Temperance Cadets, St. Patrick's
Church, organized August 15, 1894.

St. Vincent de Paul Society, Cathedral,
organized in 1893.

Society of the Sacred Heart, St. Andrews'
Church, August 2, 1892.

St. Paul's Benevolent Society, St. Paul's
Church, 1891.

Colored Masons.

Bay City Lodge, No. 68, Eichenlaub's
Hall, 1872.

Presque Isle Chapter, No. 19, Eichenlaub's
Hall, August, 1889.

Pythaurus Commandery, No. 11, Eichen-
laub's Hall, 1889.

Colored Odd Fellozvs.

Erie City Lodge, No. 3,509, G. U. O. of O.
F., State, between Sixth and Seventh streets,
January 11, 1892.

Daughters of Liberty.

True American Council, No. 40, 728 State
street, April 9, 1890.

Equitable Aid Union.

Erie Star Union, No. 50, Keystone Bank
building, March 10, 1880.

.South Erie Union, No. 62, 1220 State
street, March 30, 1880.

Providence Union, No. 328, 730 State
street, June 29, 1883.

Presque Isle Union, No. 656, 626 State
street. May 25, 1888.

Massassauga Union, No. 600, Sixteenth and
Peach streets, June 1, 1888.



Gem City Union, No. 822, Kevstone Bank
building, May 10, 1890.

Good Cheer Union, No. 879, Zuck's block,
January 8, 1892.

East Erie Union, No. 670,941 East Twen-
ty-first street, August 5, 1892.

Eclectic Assembly.
Lake Erie Council, September 3, 1895.

B. F. O. Elks.
Erie Lodge, No. 67, Ninth and State
streets. May 28, 1887.

Fraternal Mystic Circle.
Echo Ruling, No. 489, Zuck's Hall, Jan-
uary 31, 1894.

Grand Army of the Republic.

Strong Vincent Post, No. 67, 1305 State
street, July 21, 1867.

Ladies' Auxiliary to Post 67, 1805 State
street, April 21, 1890.

Robert Wainwright Scott Post, No. 464,
Keystone Bank building, January 24, 1885.

U. S. Grant Circle, No 13, Keystone Bank
building, January 24, 1885.

.Sons of Veterans.

Charles H. Riblet Camp, No. 67, April,
1884.

Women's Relief Corps.

Strong Vincent Corps, No. 8, 730 State
street, April 17, 1884.

Hariigaris.

Mozart Lodge, No. 189, Kessler block,
October 26, 1867.

Bismarck Lodge, No. 151, Kessler block,
October 26, 1867.

Erie Mannie, No. 24, Kessler block, August
1, 1869.

Erie Lodge, No. 290, Kessler block, Sep-
tember 12, 1872.

Germania Degree Lodge, No. 47, Kessler
block, March 22, 1874.

Life Insurance of D. O. H., Sixth Dist. of
Penn'a, January 1, 1876.

Fritz"Reuter Lodge, No. 560, D. O. H.,
Kuch's Hall, April 9, 1888.

Elizabeth Lodge, No. 22 ( Hertha Degree),
Kessler block, May. 19, 1891.



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUJSTr.



475



Hehrc^v Societies.

Erie City Lodge, No. 107, K. S. B., 724
State street, May, 1873.

Kasher Lodge, Metcalf s Hall, May, 1873.

Sons of Benjamin, Metcalf's Hall, Decem-
ber 23, 1877.

Standard Club, October, 1879.

Lake Erie Lodge, No. 63, I. O. S. B., 724
State street, 1883.

Improved Order of Bed Men.

Gen-nun-de-wah Tribe, No. 167, February
23, 1878.

Independent Order of Foresters.

Court of Pennsylvania, No. 768, 730 State
street, March 27, 1891.

South Erie Court, No. 1122, 1606 Peach
street, July 1, 1892.



Junior Order United Ai.



Mechanics.



Erie Council, No. 181, Dewitt block, Sep-
tember, 1887.

Lake City Council, No. 347, 728 State
street, 1889.

Massassauga Council, No. 608, over Wil-
cox House, April 30, 1891.

Knights of the Golden Eagle.

Perry Castle, No. 73, 1309 State street,
February 12. 1886.

Phil. Sheridan Castle, No. 283, Wallace
block, September 4, 1888.

Sheridan Commandery, Walther's Hall,
October, 1889.

Knights and ladies of Maccabees.

Alpha Tent, No. 1. 626 State street, March
17, 1884.

Germania Tent, No. 2, 1118 State street,
April 17, 1884.

Erie City Tent, No. 185, 21 North Park,
July 12, 1893.

Presque Isle Tent, No. 243, 626 State
street, fall of 1893.

Lounsbury Hive, Ladies of Maccabees,
G. A. R. Hall, 1893.

Lotus Hive, Ladies of Maccabees, Novem-
ber, 1894.

Gem City Tent, No. 248, 626 State street,
January 10, 1895.

Schiller Hive Ladies of Maccabees, 626
State street, 1895.



Knights of St. John and Malta.

St. Elmo Preceptory, No. 3, College of
Ancients, Wallace block. May, 1892.

Arragon Encampment, No. 52, G. R. A.,
Wallace block, September 2, 1892.

Kn igh ts of Ho nor.

Mystic Lodge, No. 99, Keystone Bank
building, April, 1875.

Barbarossa Lodge, No. 686, Kessler's Hall,
July 7, 1877.

Presque Isle Lodge, No. 3,530, 716 State
street, April 3, 1890.

Knights of Malta.
Mt. Sinai Commandery, No. 127, 913
State street, January 27, 1893.

Knights of Pythias.

Erie Lodge, No. 327, Pythian Temple, 722
State street, December 20, 1871.

Endowment Rank, Section No. 108, Feb-
ruary 20, 1878.

Lake City Division, No. 20, Uniform
Rank, Walther's Hall, August 13, 1884.

Linton Temple, No. 2, Rathbone Sisters,
March 17, 1893.

Athens Lodge, No. 455, Pythian Temple.
722 State street, January 29,1894.

Knights and Ladies of Honor.

Enterprise Lodge, No. 1,355, 726 State
street, 1888.

Good Will Lodge, No. 1,401, 726 State
street, March, 1889.

Robert Blum Lodge, No. 1,676, 726 State
street, December, 1891.

Lake City Lodge, No. 1,873, 726 State
street, May 24, 1894.

Knights of Labor.

Lake Shore Assembly, No. 8,773, 716 State
street, 1886.

Masonic.

Tyrian Lodge, No. 362, chartered Decem-
ber 27, 1865.

Perry Lodge, No. 392, chartered June 6,
1867.

Keystone Lodge, No. 455. instituted y^n-
uary IS, 1870.

Temple Chapter, No. 215, R. A. M., char-
tered July 19, 1867.



476



^rULSOJff'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY



Mt. Olivet Commandery, No. 30, K. T.,
organized October 20, 1867.

Presque Isle Lodge of Perfection, A. A. S.
R., chartered September 22, 1887.

Terusalem Council, No. 38, R. and S. M.,
chartered June 10, 1868.

All of the above meet in Masonic Hall,
912 State street.

Mysfic S/irhic.
ZemZem Temple, Msennerchor Hall, char-
tered August 15, 1892.

Musical Societies.

Erie Liedertafel, Berst's block. State street,
September 2, 1862.

Erie JSIfennerchor, own building on State
south of railroad bridge, January, 1872.

Orpheus Society, November, 1878.

Cfficilian Qiiintette Club, 1891.

Workingmen's Singing Society, 1118 State
street, December 16, 1891.

Schuman Quartette, 1893.

Erie Church Music Society, First Presby-
terian Chapel, September 14, 1894.

Erie Vocal Society, First M. E. Church,
October, 1894.

German Labor Singing Society, fall of
1895.

Medical Societies.

Erie County Medical Society, organized
1829 ; reorganized 1849.

Homecepathic Medical Society, July 1,
1891.

Homecepathic Hospital and Dispensary
Association of Erie, incorporated 1894.

New Erie County Medical Society, No-
vember, 1895.

Aliscellaneous Societies.

Auditorium Association, 1895.

Citizens' Association (to promote munici-
pal reform), spring of 1895.

Commercial Travelers' Association of
Erie, summer of 1886; reorganized January,
1894.

Druggists' Protective Association, May 14,
1881.

Erie Lodge, No. 7, N. A. Stationary En-
gineers, 1220 State street, September 18, 1886.

Erie Retail Liquor Dealers' Association,
Keystone Bank building, April 17, 1895.

Erie Bar Association, about 1876.



Erie Centennial Association, October 3,
1895.

Erie Society of Dentists, February 6, 1895.

Erie County Horticultural Society, Sep-
tember 12, 1888.

Erie Natural History Society, February
18, 1879.

Erie Branch, No. 28, National Association
of Letter Carriers, Federal building, Decem-
ber 28, 1891.

N. W. Penn'aGame and Fish Association,
incorporated November 19, 1875.

N. W. Penna. Humane Society, organized
January 10, 1891, incorporated November 14,
1892.

N. W. Penna. Poultry, Pigeon and Pet
Stock Association, fall of 1894.

National Union.
North Star Council, No. 266, Keystone
Bank building, February, 1887.

Odd Fellows.

Presque Isle Lodge, No. 107, Wittich
block, June 23, 1845.

Phillalelia Lodge, No. 299, Wittich block,
February 28, 1848.

Henosis Adelphon Encampment, No. 42,
Wittich block, August 7, 1846; reorganized
August 9, 1866.

Lake Shore Lodge, No. 718, Wittich
block, July 5, 1870.

Erie City Lodge, No. 871 (German),
Wittich block, March 31, 1874.

Luellah Rebekah Lodge, No. 90, Wittich
block, April 30, 1874.

Order of United Friends.
Siegel Council, No. 64, Kessler block,
1890.

Protective Trades and Labor Organizations.

Bakers' Union, No. 40, Gabel block, Au-
gust, 1886.

Bakers' Protective Association, Novem-
ber 26, 1894.

Brewers' Union, Peach and Twenty-sixth
streets, February, 1891.

Bricklayers' Union, No. 28, 716 State
street, April, 1890.

Central Labor Union, Gabel block, Feb-
ruary, 1888.

Cigar Maker's Union, No. 107, Gabel
block, 1881.



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE C0U2iTy.



477



Custom Cutters' Society of Erie, 1008 State
street, 1890.

International Association of Machinists.
No. 101, 716 State street, March, 1890.

International Brotherhood of Brass Work-
ers, Union No. 11, No. 8 East Seventh street,
February, 1890.

Iron Moulders' Union, No. 88, Gabel
block, March, 1869.

Local Union, No. 64, National League of
Musicians, Siegel block, November 1, 1892.

Metal Polishers' and Buffers' Union, Gabel
block, April, 1894.

Muscians' Union, Dime Bank building,
November, 1891.

Painters' and Decorators' Union, No. ■:'9,
716 State street, March 15-16, 1887.



Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 78 of 192)