Copyright
Bernard Burke.

A visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 1) online

. (page 15 of 79)
Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 1) → online text (page 15 of 79)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Edward Lawrence, having become extinct
by the death of her only brother, was gra-
ciousl}'- revived by George III., in the per-
son of her son, the present proprietor of
Lowesby.

Sir Thomas Fowke, Sir Frederick's father,
was the only son of General Fowke, Gover-
nor of Gibraltar in 175.3, and derived his de-
scent from an ancient knightly family founded
in England by one of the companions in
arms of the Conqueror. He was a cornet
in the Scotch Greys at the age of tifteen,
and carried the colours of that regiment at
the battle of Minden. He became, in tlie
sequel, Lieutenant-Colonel in the 3rd Regi-
ment of Foot Guards, and finally, after his
marriage with Miss WooUaston, served as a
I\Iagistrate and Deputy Lieutenant for Lei-
cestershu-e.

"WALHAWTTON, near Lymington, Hamp-
shire, the seat of the Ivev. Sir George
Burrard, Bart., Chaplain to the Queen,
Vicar of Middleton Tyas, co. York. At
one time this estate had belonged to the
Arundels, from whom it was purchased by the
Burrards, who have resided at Walhampton



since the reign of Queen Elizabeth. The
family of Burrard is one of the most an-
cient in England, being purely Saxon, as
the derivation of the name clearly indicates,
and is derived from Simon de Burrard,
living temp : Conquestoris. So far back as
the reign of Richard II. we find John Bur-
rard appointed Prior of the Monastery of
Clnistchurch, m the splendid cathedral of
which place his remains lie entombed. It is
uncertain at what precise period the mansion
was erected, nor can any conclusion be drawn
from the evidence of the architecture, which
does not decidedly belong to any style. The
building can only be described as a large, solid,
and convenient pile, with a conservatory at-
tached to it, fifty-two feet in length. The plea-
sure grounds are two miles m circumference,
including seventy acres of water and wood-
land. Within them is an obelisk erected,
on an ancient Roman speculum, as a tribute
to the memory of the late Admiral Sir
Harry Burrard Neale, Bart. Upon each
face of the obelisk, which commands a fine
view of the Needles and the Isle of Wight,
is a different inscription, stating the more
remarkable features in the life of the gallant
seaman, who had the good fortune to take
or destroy twenty of the enemy's vessels.
The list of the subscribers to this testimonial
includes both high and low, showing how
universally he had been respected and be-
loved. At the head of it stand the names
of the late Queen Dowager Adelaide, of the
Princess Augusta, the Duchess of Glouces-
ter, the Right Hon. Admiral Sir George
Cockburu, G.C.B., Admiral Sir Thomas
Byam Martin, the Earl of Normanton, the
Lord Bishop of Winchester, the Rev. Bishop
Luscombe, Paris, and between two and
three hmidred other names, some of them
scarcely less distinguished, but which it
would exceed our limits to recapitulate.

Upon two occasions George III., Queen
Charlotte, and all the princesses dined at
Walhampton on their road from Weymouth,
the king taking up his abode at Cuffnells,
near Lyndhurst, the seat of the Right Hon.
Sir George Rose, who had lent him his
house.

The family of Burand had represented the
adjoining town of Lymington for a hundred
and fifty years, until the Reform Bill passed,
when his brother. Admiral Sir Harry Burrard
Neale, was again returned; Sir Harry took
the name of Neale upon his marriage.

ORSETT HALL, in the county of Essex,
the seat of AVilliam Baker, Esq. This man-
sion is supposed to have been built at dif-
ferent times, the main portico of it having been
erected in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, but
subsequently much added to and improved,
first by a proprietor of the name of Hatt, and



64



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



afterwards by the late Richard Baker, Esq.,
one of whose ancestors had purchased it in
the early part of the last century. This gen-
tleman surviving all his family, or at least
having no near relations of his own blood de ■
vised Orsett Hall to William Wingfield,
Esq., upon the sole condition of taking his
name and bearing his arms, which was done
accordingly. The new possessor of the es-
tate descended from a family in Suffolk, a
scion from ^vhich located himself in Lan-
cashu-e so early as the fifteenth century.
His grandfather married the daughter of Sir
William Williamson in the county of Dur-
ham, and he himself was twice married, first
to Charlotte Mary, daughter of Edward,
Earl of Digby ; and secondly to the daugh-
ter of William Mills, Esq.

With the exception only of two rooms,
■which are in the Elizabethan style of archi-
tecture, the whole of tliis mansion has now
a modern appearance. The grounds are not
upon a very extensive scale, but they are well
laid out and present many features of interest.

RABY CASTLE, about one mile north from
Staindrop, the property of Henry Vane,
Duke of Cleveland. This noble pile was
originally the chief residence of the Nevilles
till, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, Charles,
the sixth and last Earl of Westmoreland of
that family, engaged in a conspiracy against
tlie government. This weak nobleman met
with thefateof all thosewho were rash enough
to plot against so wise and fortunate a prin-
cess. He failed altogether, and might think
himself happy in escaping with life to the
Netherlands, where, however, he died a wret-
ched exile in 1584. His immense estates
M'ere declared forfeited, and in the reign of
James the First were consigned by grant to
certain citizens of liOndon for sale, wlien
the castle and demesne of Raby were pur-
chased by Sir Henry Vane, Knt., whose
grandson, Sir Christopher, was created Baron
Barnard, of Barnard Castle, in this county,
July 8th, 1609, by King William HT. His
immediate descendant, Henry, the third
Lord, was by George IH. created Viscount
Barnard and Earl of Darlington by letters
patent, April 3rd, 1754, and that nobleman's
grandson, William Henry third Earl, w^as
raised to the dukedom of Cleveland, a)id
made Baron Raby in 1833.

The splendid edifice may in some parts be
referred to the time of the Anglo-Saxons,
but it was chiefly erected in 1379 by John
de Neville who obtained a license from tlie
Bishop of Durham to make a castle of his
manor of Raby, and to embattle and cre-
nellate its towers. At diiTerent periods since
that time many essential alterations have
been made, according to tlie more modern
ideas of comfort and convenience, without



materially afl'ecting its external form, so that
it still recalls to the mind the romantic days
of chivalry. The whole occupies a ground
with a slight rise upon a rocky foundation,
the embattled wall, with which it is sur-
rounded, occupying about two acres of
ground. At irregular distances are two
tOAvcrs, denominated from their founders the
Clifford Tower and the Bulwer Tower. The
hall is large and grand, the roof being
arched, and supported by six columns witlr
capitals, which diverge and spread along the
ceiling. Over this is another room, ninety
feet in length and thirty -four in breadth,
wherein the baronial feasts were originally
held, and were no less than seven hundred
knights, M'ho held of the Nevilles, are re-
corded to have been entertamed at one time.
The kitchen is on a scale to correspond with
such enormous festivals. It is a square of
thirty feet with an oven so monstrous, that
Pennant tells us was at one time converted
into a wine-cellar, " the sides being divided
into ten parts, each holding a hogshead of
wine in bottles." Leland considered Raby
as " the largest castle of logginp-es in all the
north country."

Tlie park and pleasure grounds belonging
to this magnificent castle are upon the same
extensive scale, wnth woods that sweep over
hill, and sink into valley, and command a
constant change of beautiful prospects.
Agriculture too has introduced her useful
improvements amidst this romantic scenery,
in the shape of a large farm, to which the
late earl paid particular attention. In the
interior also of the building there are the
signs of modern tastes and habits, the pre-
sent Countess of Darlington having collected
a curious jMuseum of Natural History, an
improvement Avhich was not likely to have
suggested itself to the fiery Nevilles, who
were like the poet's;hawk, — "semper in armis."

EYDON HALL, in domesday, Eyedone, and
in early records Aydon and Eyndon near
Banbury, Northamptonshire, the seat of The
Rev. Charles A. Francis Annesley. The
mansion was built about seventy years ago
by the Rev. Francis Annesley, second son of
Francis Annesley, Esq., of Bletchingdon in
Oxfordshire, and is in the Italian style of
architecture. The manor in general is ele-
vated, and approached on every side by a
steep ascent. Tlie soil of the uplands is a
sandy loam, while that of the lower grounds
is a stiff clay with a little gravel. There is
also excellent stone for building in this lord-
ship, but the quarries are not worked to the
same extent as formerly.

The park-like grounds are well wooded,
and the gardens ornamental. From the win-
dows of the house a fine view is obtained
over parts of Oxfordshire and Warwickshire.



SEATS or GREAT BRITAIN.



65



GRANGE, in the Isle of Purheck, Dorset-
shire, tlie seat of tlieRev. Nathaniel Bond. The
Grange of Creech, or Creech Grange, in the
parish of Steple, with the adjacent property
in the same hamlet, now belonging to Mr.
Bond, was at a ver}'- early period granted to
tlie neighbouring abbey of Bindon, by the
family of De Crich and others. It then
served as a Grange, or retiring place, for the
abbot of Bindon, and with these good monks
it remained till the sweeping days of the
dissolution, when, like so much property of
the same kind, it fell into hands never con-
templated by the original donor.

In the thirty-first year of his reign. King
Henry the VIII. granted the Grange and
manor of Creech to Sir John Hersey, of
Clifton, Knt., who, the next year, conveyed it
to Mr. Oliver, — afterwards Sir Oliver-Law-
rence. In this last-named family it con-
tinued till 1686, when it was purchased of
John Lawrence, Esq., by Nathaniel Bond,
Esq., of Lutton, in the same parish, and
he afterwards made the Grange his residence.

The architecture of the orignal mansion-
house belonged to the early Tudor period,
and in one of the apartments were the royal
arms in stucco. It was tlierefore most pro-
bably erected by Sir Oliver Lawrence. The
building, however, was enlarged and modern-
ized, and a new facade in the Italian style
added, on the south side, by Denis Bond,
Esq., in 1739 and 1741. The eastern front
has been lately pulled down, and handsomely
reconstructed by the present owner, who,
taking the original building for his model,
has given to it the character it must have
liad before the alterations of the last century,

A little east from the house is a lofty hill,
called Creech Barrow, yielding an extensive
prospect over great part of the island of
Purbeck, and the north and west parts of
this county, as well as into some parts of
Wiltshire and Somersetshire. Opposite the
mansion, and at the south of it, is a second
hill, the scene, in 1678, of a remarkal^le
phenomenon. One evening in December
several thousands of armed men were seen
marching from Flower's Barrow over Grange
Hill, a great noise and clashing of arms
being heard at the same time. Nothing
appeared on the south side of the hill. The
spectators of this phenomenon were numer-
ous, namely — " Captain John Lawrence,
then owner of the Grange, who lived there,
and his brother, and one hundred more,
particularly by four clay-cutters just going to
leave off work, and by all the people in the
cottages and hamlets thereabout, who left
their supper and houses and came to Ware-
ham, and alarmed the town, on which the
boats were all drawn to the north side of the
river." In the meauAvhile Captain Lawrence
and his brother posted up to London, where



they deposed to what they had seen, on oath
before the council, and the nation being then
in a great ferment with Gates' plot, they
might have been punished for their false
tidings but for their known affection to the
government. The whole may, indeed, have
been invention, but it seems much more
reasonable to attribute to an optical delusion
produced by the thick fogs and mists that
often hang about the hills in Purbeck,
forming grotesque resemblances of rocks
and ruins. A similar phenomenon is on
record as having liappened in Leicestershire,
in the year 1707 ; and the same thing oc-
curred on Sonterfield, in Cumberland, on
Midsummer day,_ 1735, 1737, 1747. The
frequency of the illusion speaks for a simi-
larity of cause in its production, while as
to the clanging of arms and other noises,
that is no more than such a degree of exag-
geration as might have been expected. Once
set the reason asleep by some phenomenon
that it cannot readily solve, and fancy is
sure to make the most of it.

Amongst the notahilia in Creech Grange
is a small octavo manuscript on vellum,
written by the Denis Bond, Esq., who died
in 1658. The first part of it gives an
account of the family in the form of a pedi-
gree ; the latter part is a chronological
series, containing the dates of all the mar-
riages, births, and burials of the several
branches, interspersed with many historical
anecdotes, particularly such as relate to the
very interesting time in which he lived.

WYTHENSHAWE, Cheshire, the seat of
Thomas W^illiani Tatton, Esq., about a mile
west of Northenden, amongst park-like
grounds and enclosures. The building
is a handsome gabled structure, which,
in the process of time, has received many
additions and improvements. The old hall,
of which several portions still remain, was
probably built about the time of Edward the
Third. Certainly it belongs to a remote
date, and is in part composed of timber and
plaster. Its panelled drawing-room more
particularly deserves attention, being richly
carved and inlaid.

In the reign of Edward the Tliird, W^ythen-
shawe was vested in a branch of tlie Massey
family, which bore, according to Booth, the
local name. Alice, daughter and heiress of
WnUiam de Massey, brought this estate by
marriage to Robert Tatton of Kennedy, or
Kenworthy, in Northenden. From this pe-
riod it descended to the late William Tatton
of AVythenshawe and Tatton, who assumed
the name of Egerton, and under whose will
Wythenshawe passed to his second son, who
thereupon resumed the paternal name of
Tatton.

This house sustained a siege in the civil

K



G6



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



wars, thus noticed in Burgliall's Diary: —
" Mr. Tatton's house of Wittenshaw was
taken by the Parliament, who had laid a long
siege to it. There were in it only Mr. Tatton,
some few gentlemen, and but a few soldiers,
who had quarter for life. The ammunition
was but little." Colonel Dukinfield conducted
the attack, and finally effected the reduction
of the mansion, by bringing two pieces of
ordnance from Manchester. In the last cen-
tury six skeletons were found in llie garden
at Wythenshawe, lying close together, wliich
were supposed to be those of the sol-
diers buried during the siege in the house,
which was then much larger than it is at
present. There is a tradition that one of
the Parliamentary forces exposed himself by
sitting on a wall, and that Mrs. Tatton
begged for a musket to try if " she could
bring him down," and succeeded. Mr. Wat-
son supposes this luckless officer to have
been " Captayne Adams, slayne at AVithen-
shawe" on Sunday, the 25th, who was buried
at Stockport, 25th February, 1643-4. In
the sequel, Mr. Tatton suffered severely for
his courage and loj^alty. He had to com-
pound for his estate, and was, moreover,
subjected to many vexatious fine;; and oppres-
sions. These disastrous consequences of
loyalty must have been severely felt, as
Webb, writing in 1622, speaks of the Tattons
as being " much eclipsed," and " by troubles
and encumbrances, whereunto greatest es-
tates are oft subject, obscured," and places
" the chiefest hope of raising the house " on
that grand cliikl, upon these calamities sub-
sequently fell.

HAWARDEN CASTLE, Flintshire, the seat
of Sir Stephen Pichard Glynne, Bart. There
was on these grounds in olden times a strong-
hold of tlie Saxons, which, upon the Con-
quest, was found in the hands of Edwin,
King of Deira. It was then comprehended
in the singular grant made to Lupus, and
afterwards held under the tenure of Senes-
chalship by the family of Monthault or De
Monte Alto. During the contests between
the Welsh and English, Hawarden Castle
more than once changed its masters, accord-
ing to the success of treachery or the vicissi-
tudes of war. ' At one time it was possessed
by the Welsh Prince, David ; but after his
death upon the scaffold, it passed tln-ough
various hands, till it came to the celebrated
Stanleys. Tlie active part taken by James,
Earl of Derby, in the great Civil War, brought
down more than one storm upon the de-
voted Castle, which in consequence suffered
severely ; and upon the beheading of that
nobleman in the light at Worcester, 1651, it
was purchased by Mr. Serjeant Glynne, who
in time attained the dignity of Lord Chief
Justice.



The ruins of the old castle, which stand
upon an eminence, may still be seen in the
pleasure grounds, and serve to give us some
idea of Avhat it formerly must have been.
The present building was erected upon a
different site by Sir John Glynne, in 1752, at
which time it was of plain brick : but in 1819
it underwent considerable alterations, being-
then cased with stone, and made to assume a
castellated Gothic appearance. The park
attached to it is exceedingly picturesque;
and in tlie neighbouring country tli'ere is
much to take the eye both of the poet and
the painter.

GOPSAL HALL, Leicestershire. This mag-
nificent mansion — the seat of Earl Howe — is
justly accounted one of the chief ornaments
of a county possessing its full share of fine
country seats. It is situated about three
miles north-west of Market Bosworth, and
was begun by Charles Jennens, Esq., in 1750,
and completed at a cost of £100,000. The
south front has an extremely imposing effect.
Corintliian pillars support a frieze and balus-
ters of very graceful design, while a receding
pediment bears in relief a sculpture of a ship
in a storm, with a haven in the foreground,
and the appropriate inscription, Fortiter
occupa portum. This beautiful addition to
the architectural features of Gopsal was
introduced to commemorate tlie naval
victories of Lord Howe. The wings
of this front form, respectively, the cliapel
and library. The principal entrance is on
tlie north. The whole of the interior is a
combination of elegance and comfort, too
seldom found in the mansions of the nobility.
The library contains a very excellent collec-
tion of rare works. A fine stained glass
Avmdow, the painting of which was executed
by the late Baroness Howe, is a much
admired ornament of this splendid room.
The chapel may vie with any private chapel
in England, either in chasteness of design or
appropriateness of fittings. Every portion
of the wood work is of cedar of Lebanon,
save the carved legs of the communion table,
whiclr are formed of tlie Hoscobel oak. Van-
dyke's painting of the Crucifixion adorns the
chapel, and the Hall abounds in choice works
of the old masters.

The park, originally of small extent, has
been amplified by the present earl, and now
contains nearly 600 acres. It is entered by
a lodge, erected by Sir J. AYyatville, after
the Arch of Constantine. In addition to the
great beauty of the mansion and park,
Gopsal lias many charms of association It
was here that Ilandel composed his I\Iessiah,
and it is in a great measure to the patronage
of the then proprietor of Goi)sal, that the
world is indebted for that sublime compo-
sition. " Every step you take at Gopsal,"



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



67



said an intelUgcnt tourist,* " sliows that
the Arts have been not only fostered, but
cultivated here. Every Avalk in tlie neigli-
bouring parishes, portions of tliis splendid
domain, shows some chuich, bede-house, or
school, erected and supported by the munifi-
cence of the Curzons, wliile the numerous
tenantiy and peasantry on the estates show-
both by their appearance and their conduct,
how much their welfare is an object of their
landlord's solicitude."

Mr. Jennens, who died in 1773, devised
Gopsal to the Hon. Penn Assheton Curzon,
his grand-nephew, who married the Lady
Sophia Charlotte, eldest daughter of Earl
Howe, from whom it descended to their son,
the present honoured earl.

HOLME PARK, in Sunning, Berkshire, three
miles from Reading, the seat of Robert Pal-
mer, Esq., M.P. for Berks. At a period an-
terior to tiie Norman Conquest, the manor
of Sunning was held by the Bishops of Salis-
bury, and for centuries afterwards the manor-
house was their occasional place of abode.
Here it was that Isabella, the young queen
of Richard II., resided during that unfor-
tunate monarch's captivity in Pomfret
Castle. In 1674 the manor was given by
Edmund, the then Bishop of Salisbury, to
Queen Elizabeth in exchange for certain
estates in Dorsetshire. In 1628, Charles
the First granted it to Lawrence Halstead
and Abraham Chamberlain, but soon after-
wards we find it possessed by tlfe family of
Rich, whose last descendant. Sir Thomas
Rich, admiral of the blue, sold it to Richard
Palmer, Esq., father of the present proprietor.
By him the old house was pulled down in
1798, and a new mansion erected on its site,
a square building of white brick, the prin-
cipal front of which is ornamented with a
bold circular portico. The situation of
Sunning is described by Leland as " an up-
landish toune, but set on a fiiir and commo-
dious grounde. The Tamise rennith under
it in a pleasant vale."

THE HASELLS, Bedfordshire, the seat of
Francis Pym, Esq. This mansion was
erected about one hundred and thirty years
ago by Heylock Kingsley, Esq., who died in
1749. It is built of brick, with stuccoed
front, and has a parapet of Bath stone, high
enough to conceal the roof. The park,
which extends to nearly a hundred acres,
presents an undulatbigsurface, and is covered
with much fine timber.

This manor was in the Burgoynes as early
as the reign of Elizabeth, and was sold by
.lohn Burgoyne, Esq., in 1633, to Epluaim
Huit, who the next year disposed of it to
Robert Brittain, of whom it was purchased
* T. R. Potter, Esq.



by Mr. Kingsley in 1721. Elizabeth,
daughter and sole heiress of Heylock Kings-
ley, Esq., brought the estate in marriage to
William Pyrm, Esq., the grandfather of the
present owner.

OAKLANDS, nearOkehampton, Devonshire,
the seat ol Albany Bourchier Savile, Esq.
It forms part of this manor, which at one
time was possessed by the Earls of Devon,
and upon it we still fuid a few ruins, or
fragments rather, of Brightley Priory, which
in the reign of king Stephen had been the
abode of a prior and twelve monks, previous
to their removal to Ford Abbey, adjoining-
Abbey Ford. The present mansion was
built in 1820, by the late Albany Savile,
Esq., D.C.L., M.P. for Okehampton. Its
architecture belongs to the simple Ionic
order, having been built after the celebrated
temple of Erectheus on the Acropolis of
Athens, a striking instance of the way into
which form may be moulded into elegance
without the help of ornament.

The grounds about the house are extensive,
and highly cultivated. A piece of water,
which might perhaps be called a small lake,
rende)-s them ■ yet more picturesque and in-
terestiug.

HOLLAND HOUSE, Kensington, Middlesex,
the seat of Lord Holland. Abbots Ken-
sington, of which Holland House is the ma-
norial residence, appears in Domesday Book
as " Chrenistun," and in other ancient records
is styled " Kenesitune." After passing
through the illustrious family of De Vere,
it came into the hands of William, iNIarquess
of Berkeley, who gave gave it to Sir Regi-
nald Bray : subsequently, it fell to Sir
Walter Cope, Knt., and was conveyed, in
marriage, by that gentleman's only daughter
and heiress, Isabel, to Sir Henry Rich, K.B.,
Captain of the King's Guard, who, not long-
after, being raised to the peerage, assumed
his title of nobility from his wife's inheritance.
From this period, Holland House, the che-
rished home of men " writ in the annals of
theii- country's fame," has held a foremost
place among our English mansions. Its
situation, close to the metropolis ; its at-
tractive style of architecture affording a cor-
rect idea of the baronial mansion of the reign



Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 1) → online text (page 15 of 79)