Copyright
Bernard Burke.

A visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 1) online

. (page 32 of 79)
Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 1) → online text (page 32 of 79)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the decease of Queen Elizabeth he came
forward at once vnthout delaying to see
Avhat orders tlie cabinet might give, and as
high sherifY proclaimed tlie accession of
James the First at Winchester and thro\igh ■
out tlie county, for Avhich good service lie
and his sons Avere knighted by the new mo-
narch, Avho was at all ti)nes as profuse in
bestowing honours as Elizabeth had been
chary. Nor Avas this all. The sagacious
sheriff Avas rewarded with a handsome pen-
sion for himself and his successor, besides
receiving a grant of the castle of Winchester
in fee farm to himself and his heirs for ever.
TJie truth is tliat his zeal in the royal cause,
and his qualities as a boon companion, joined
to his natural frankness, had completely Avon
tlie heart of James, who had practically very
little of the habits of a monarch except it
Avas in spending. It has even been said that
he granted an honourable addition to the
armorial bearings of the house of Tichborne,
rarely accorded as an hereditary distinctioiA
to any under the degree of a peer. They
bear supporters to their family shield, tAv'o
Vions guardant g7iles, and according to tradi-
tion it thus arose: — In one of the king's vi-
sits to Tichborne — and they Avere frequent
— being warmed by the fi-ank hospitality
of his entertainer, he asked Avhat he could do
to gratify him, to Avhich "old Ben," as the
monarch familiarly called him, replied by re-
questing permission to bear these lion sup-
porters to his paternal coat. But if this
story be true at all, the gi-ant must have
been not for the origin but the revival of
such a distinction, which for some noAv un-
knoAvn reason had been discontinued, for
" there is, or Avas, a deed in existence, exe-
cuted by John de Tichborne in the 10th of
Heniy IV. 1409, to Avhicli Avas appended a
seal Avith the same ar-ms, crests, and sup-
poi-fcrs that his descendants now use. This
John de Tichborne may have worn sup-



SEATS OF GKEAT BRITAIN.



141



porters as a Knight of the Bath, created,
among otliers, at the coronation of Henry
the Fourth."

However this may be, it is certain tliat
king James was extremely fond of his society.
Often in his progresses amongst tlie seats of
the neighbouring nobility and gentry he
would get tired of their more ceremonious
hospitalit)', when he would on the sudden
declare to those about him his intention of
going back to " old Ben," who it seems set
his best before the monarch, and never
troubled himself with apologies that it was
not better. Whether the tale be true or not,
it is sufficiently in accordance with the ge-
neral character of James — se non e vero e
hen trovato.

HAUGHTON, Shropshire, the seat of the
Rev. John Brooke. Of the former house,
■which stood at the back of tlie present
mansion, there are records extending as
far into the olden time as 1268, when
it was called Haleston, it being then in the
possession of Sir Hugh de Ilalestou. Near
to it used to be a chapel, now destroyed,
but its site is marked out by an old yew-
tree, standing in a meadow that still retains
the name of the clmpel-field, and tlius gives
evidence of its having once existed, even
if we did not know the fact from other
sources.

This estate has been successively held by
the Moretons, the Brigges', the Brookes, and
the Townshends. To the last named family
it passed by female descent. Frances, daugli-
ter of the Rev. John Brooke, son of Leigh
Brooke, Esq., by Elizabeth, his Avife, sister
and coheir of Sir Hugh Brigges, Bart., hav-
ing married George Salesbury Townshend,
Esq. Their son, George B. B. Townshend,
came into possession in 1747, when by his
uncle's will he took the name of Brooke.

The present house was built in the year
1718 by Leigh Brooke, Esq., of Blacklands,
parish of Bobbington, who became possessed
of this by his marriage with Elizabeth
Brigges, the daughter and heiress of the
then owner.

DILLINGTON HOUSE, about a mile from
Ilminster, Somersetshire, the seat of John
Lee Lee, Esq., many years IM.P. for Wells.

The manor of Ilminster with the whole
district was given by king Athelstan in 939
to the abbey of Muchelney in this county,
founded by Ina, king of the West Saxons.
Upon the dissolution of Monasteries, king-
Henry the Eighth granted it to Edward
Earl of Hertford, subsequently created
Duke of Somerset by his neplicw Edward
the Sixth, but better known in history as
Protector of the kingdom during that
prince's minority. In consequence of an



act of attainder passed against Somerset,
the manor reverted to the Crown, but was
afterwards restored by Elizabeth to his son,
Edward Seymour, whom she reinstated in
all his father's honours and possessions. He
died, however, Avithout issue, whereupon the
estate devolved to a younger branch of the
same family. John Lord Seymour, Duke
of Somerset, having encumbered the pro-
perty with debts and annuities the manor
was sold in 1684 to Sir Thomas Travel,
Edward Ryder, and John Gore, in order to
discharge them. At a subsequent period
we lind it in the possession of Colonel
Speke, who entertained the Duke of
Monmouth there during the rebellion.
In this family it must have continued
for a long time, as in 1724 George Speke,
Esq., then in possession of the whole
manor, bequeathed it by will to Anne, his
only surviving daughter, who conveyed it
by marriage to Lord North. From this
family it came into the hands of Willinm
Manning, Esq., Avhose son, the present
owner, assumed the surname of Lee — his
motJier's name — by sign manual in 1822.

The old house had been considerably
added to by Lord North, but was pulled
down and rebuilt in 1838 by John Lee Lee,
Esq., who now possesses the estate. It is
constructed of Ham stone, and is of the
Elizabethan order of architecture, forming
a handsome and extensive mansion.

In the village of Dillington is a mineral
spring, which at one time was reputed to
have great medicinal virtue. Of late years
it has lost this character, thougli perhaps
undeservedly, fashion, or caprice rather,
having much more to do in such cases than
science or common sense.

HEMSTED, Cranbrook, co. Kent, the seat
of Thomas Law Hodges, Esq., a magistrate
for the counties of Kent and Sussex, and
deputy-lieutenant for the former. During
the Irish rebellion of 1798-9, Mr. Hodges
served in the West Kent regiment of Militia,
in which he becanje major. He was for many
years chaiiman of the Bench of Quarter
Sessions at Maidstone, and Avas elected M.P.
for Kent in 1830.

Early in the reign of Henry the Third,
Hemsted belonged to Robert de Hemsted,
who assumed his surname from it. His de-
scendants, however, did not long continue
here, for in the tenth year of Edward
HI., James de Echyngham paid aid for it
at the making the Black Prince a knight.
In the beginning of the next reign, King-
Richard the Second, — Sir Robert Belk-
nap, Knt., Chief Justice of the Common
Picas, became possessed of it, but having too
strongly advocated tlie claims of that prince,
he Avas attainted upon Bolingbroke's acces-



142



SEATS OF GIIF.AT UKITAIN.



sion to the throne, and this amongst his other
estates became forfeited to the Crown. By
the new king it was speedily granted to
William dc Guldeford, who kept his shrie-
valty for the county at his seat here, and made
great additions to the mansion. One of his de-
scendants received Queen Elizabeth at Hem-
sted, and entertained her for tliree days. In the
reign of Queen Anne, Robert Guldeford pro-
cured an act of parliament for the sale of
this manor, and vested it for such purpose in
the hands of trustees, who accordingly dis-
posed of it to Sir John Norris, Knight, Ad-
miral of the British fleet, and Vice-Admiral
of England. In this family tlie estate re-
mained, till in 1780 Jolm Norris obtained an
act of parliament vesting it in the hands of
trustees that it might be sold, which it sub-
sequently was to Thomas Hallet Hodges,
Esq., sheriff of the couut}^, in 178G.

THE KILL, in the county of Cumberland,
the seat of Sir James Robert Grant, C.B.,
K.H., K. St. Anne, Inspector General of
Army Hospitals. The name of " The Hill,"
which belonged of old to the mansion, is su]?-
posed to have been given to the first
eminence on the road leading across the
border. The prospect from the house
is very grand and striking. It overlooks
the great plain of the Solway ifojs, and
extends into the vaJleys of Eskdale and
Liddesdale. At one time its site used to
be considered as falling within the limits
of the debateable land. In crossing the
western borders from Scotland, the Hill,
after passing Netherby, is the first gen-
tleman's residence seen in England.

Sir James Grant represents the Mulo-
chaird branch of the ancient family of
Grant.

CASTLE HOWARD, in the North Riding
of Yorkshire, about four miles from New
Malton, the seat of George William Fre-
derick Howard, Earl of Carlisle, Lord Lieu-
tenant of the East Riding of that county.

Upon the ."^ite of the present edifice there
formerly stood the ancient castle of Ilin-
derskelf, which was destroyed by fire, when,
as we are told by an inscription on an
obelisk facing the western avenue, " Charles,
the third Earl of Carlisle, of the family of
the Howards, erected a castle, and called
it Castle Howard. He likewise made the
plantations in this park, and all the out-
works, monuments, and other plantations
belonging to tiiis seat. He began these
•works in the year 1712, and set up this
inscription, Anno Dom. 17.31.

This pile, which was built from a design
of Sir John Vanburgh's, and is in the same
style as Blenheim, but has a more extended
front, consisting of a rich centre of the Co-



rinthian order, with a cupola rising from the
roof, and two large wings, that on the east
being finished according to the intentions of
Vanburgh, wliile that on the west being com-
pleted by another architect, is not altogether
in keeping with the rest of the building.
The south, or garden front, is exceedingly
magnificent. Its centre consists of a pedi-
ment and entablature supported by fluted
Corinthian pilasters, and is approached by a
grand flight of steps. At the extremity of
the east wing is the kitchen, with a square
tower at each angle. The intermediate space
is filled up by a numerous assemblage of
roofs, cupolas, vases, and massive clusters
of chimneys.

Once within the walls of this magnificent
building, the first thhig that strikes the spec-
tator, is the extreme loftiness of the rooms,
so much bej-ond the usual idea of architec-
tural proportions. Thus the hall is sixty
feet in lieight, though only thirty feet square,
terminating at top with a spacious dome, one
liiuidred feet high, and adorned witli columns
of the Corinthian and Composite orders.
All the prhicipal rooms are upon the same
scale of grandeur, and all arc filled with pre-
cious reliques of antiquity, or with masterly
pictures so numerous as to make the mere
catalogue of them far too extensive to be
given in detail. From the names of Reu-
bens, Titian, Ludovico Caracci, Annibal Ca-
racci, Velasques, Tintoretto, Giulio Romano,
Salvator Rosa, Canaletti, and Domenichino,
tlie nature and worth of the collection may
be easily imagined.

Tlie dining-room is a noble apai tment, the
chimney-piece of which is supported by fluted
columns of sienna marble ; its cornice is ot
sienna and white marble, with groups in the
middle, and upon it are three bronzes, Bru-
tus, Cassius, and the Laocoon. Here also
are two slabs of Sicilian jasper, and an urn
of fine green porj)liyry, with two busts, one
of Marcus Aurelius, the otlier of a Bac-
chanal.

The same magnificence is found in tlie
saloon above stairs, the walls of which are
painted by Peligrini with representations of
tlie principal events in the story of Frog.
The saloon below, Avhich is longer, but not
so wide, is full of busts and statues.

There are two drawing-rooms ; the one
called the Blue, is floored with a mosaic pave-
ment ; and botli are filled to profusion with
works of art. Bnt indeed every room,- -not
excepting the bed-rooms — is adorned in tlie
same way ; and if ain'tliing be yet wanting
to gratify the spectator's love of art and an-
tiquity, "tliere are the museum, a large room
twenty-four feet square, and the antique gal-
lery, a hundred feet long, in whicli he may
pass liours, and yet find something fresh for
admiiatiou. A particular gem of the mu-




1^




G^


^ ■


P^


cr


g,


'0




v.*


3)




'^ -


^


Ph


"C


o


CT'


^ '^






tr.


^^


^


K5 ^


u:


^.O


o


C-^






•t


M


'Yj


D


r-"



gl^



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



U3



seiim is a cyliiulrical altar, about four feet
and a half high, which once stood in the
temple of Delphi, and was worshipped by
multitudes from every state in Greece.
Upon the top of it is a slab with these lines
inscribed : —

" Pass not this ancient altar -with disdain ;

'Twas once in Delphi's sacred temple rear'd.
From this the Pythian ])our'd her mystic strain,
MTiile Greece its fate in anxious silence heard.

AMiat chief, -what hero of the Achian race
Might not to this have bowed with holy awe,

Have clung in pious rcv'rence round its base,
And from the voice inspij-'d received the law.

A British chief, as fam'd in arms as those.
Has borne tliis relic o'er the Italian waves ;

In war still friend to science this bestows.
And Nelson gives it to the land he saves "

If Ave leave the splendid collection of
paintings, some of which may well be called
beyond all price, and wander into the pleasure
grounds, we shall iind fresh themes for ad-
miration. The park is beautiful, as well as
extensive, and has of late years been much
improved by the addition of a small artificial
lake at no great distance from the house.
The taste of the noble disposer of these
grounds seems to have constantly led him to
combine art with nature. At every step we
are met with something to remind us of this
union, iu the shape of obelisk, or mausoleum,
or temple, or some kindred work of art.
Contrasted with the high state of cultivation
exhibited in these pleasure grounds is the
distant prospect of the moors as seen from
the north front of the castle.

The name of Howard lends a yet higher
lustre to all this magnificence. On going
back to the time of Henry the Sixth, we find
Sir Robert Howard marrying Margaret,
daughter and coheiress of 'Jliomas de Mow-
bray, Duke of Norfolk, one of the oldest
fiimilies in the country. Their son w^as the
celebrated John, Duke of Norfolk, who was
slain at the battle of Bosworth Field — ^Shaks-
peare's "gentle Norfolk," to whom came the
mysterious scroll on the eve of that bloody
day—

" Jockj', of Norfolk, be not too bold.
For Dickon, thy master, is bought and sold."

A yet higher character in this illustrious
race is the accomplished Earl of Surrey, who
was beheaded b}^ Henry the Eighth. Hut
in truth the headsman did not enjoy a sine-
cure in those days. Tlien too there was the
Lord Howard of Naworth Castle, and many
othei-s, the line of heroes and statesmen
seeming to spread out interminably like the
shadows on Banc£Uo's glass in the witch's
cavern —

"I'll see no more."

WESTON BIRT, Gloucestershire, about
sixteen miles from the provincial capital,
three miles below Tetbury, and four from



Malmesbury, the seat of Robert Stayner
Holford, Esq., a magistrate for the counties
of Gloucester and Wilts, and High Sheriff
of the former in 1843.

At one time this manor belonged to the
Crewes, a branch of the ancient family of
that name in Cheshire. The male line hav-
ing become extinct, the daughter and heiress
of the last of the Crewes conveyed the estate
by marriage about the end of the seventeenth
century to Sir Richard Holford, Knight ; wlio
was appointed iMasfer in Chancery in the
year 1693. Robert Holford, Esq., was also
Master in Chancery in 1712, and was suc-
ceeded in 1750 by Peter Holford, Esq., who
died senior Master in 1804. He Avas also
one of the Governors of the New River
Company for several years.

The early possessors of this property are
most minutely traced by Atkyns, Avhose
account when compressed Avithin reasonable
limits amounts to this. In the reign of
EdAvard the Confessor, Weston Birt was
held by Elnod ; in that of William, by Eai-1
Hugh ; in the reign of King Edward by
Briosi ; and in the time of King William,
by William, the son of Baderon.

In the seventeenth year of King John's
reign Weston Birt belonged to Maurice de
Gaunt, Earl of Lincoln. Hugh de Des-
pencer, the 3'ounger, Avas seized of this
manor in the fifth year of EdAvard the Second.
Margaret, widoAv of John Gilford, held it in
the sixth of EdAvard the Third. Sir Ralph
de Willington died seized of it in the tAventy-
second year of Edward the Third, as were
Sir John Paulet and Margaret, his wife, in
the fifteenth j-ear of Richard the Second ;
and in the twentieth of the same monarch,
John, son and heir of Ralph de Willington,
and grandson of Sir John de Willington, died
possessed of the manor and of the advowson
of the church. In the thirteenth year of
Henry the Fourth it Avas held by John, the
son of John Wroth and Joan Willington.

In the reign of Henry the Sixth we find
this estate passing successively into three
different hands at very short inteivals; first,
it Avas held by Isabel, daughter of William
Beaumont ; next, by Sir John Berkeley,
and then by Sir Thomas Beaumont. In this
family it remained till John Beaumont, clerk,
and John Chichester and Margaret, his Avife,
levied several fines of Weston Birt, in the
sixteenth, eighteenth, and twentieth of
Henry the Seventh, to Richard, Bishop of
Durham, and to divers other bishops, to the
Earl of Oxford. Sir Giles D'Aubeuy, and
many other persons of name and rank.
Giles, Lord D'Atibeny, died seized of this
manor in the Sixth of IJenry the Eighth. Sir
AVilliam Berkeley possessed it iu the fifth of
Edward the Sixth, and Avas succeeded by his
son, John Berkeley, it was next held by



144



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



Edward, Duke of Somerset, mid after liis at-
tainder it was granted to James Bassett,
in the fourth of Mary. It was again granted
to Arthur Basset in the seventh of Eliza-
beth. In the year 1608 Nicholas Dymery
was Lord hereof, and subsequently it came
to the Crewes, from whom we have already
traced the. possession into other hands.

The old mansion was probably erected in
the time of Queen Elizabeth, or it may be
a little later, the house being surmounted
in the usnal style of those days by pointed
gables terminating in small carved iinials.
To the same time may be referred the hand-
some clustered chimneys, also adorned with
various mouldings on the shafts. The win-
dows were square, with stone mnllions, and
headed by the label cornice, but the centre
entrance was by a pointed arch doorway.

The present mansion was built in 1?>10 by
the late Gcoige Peter Ilolford, Esq., Avithin
a few hundred yards of the spot upon which
the old manor house had stood.

PTJDLESTON COURT, in tlie county of He-
reford, not quite six miles from Leominster,
the seat of Elias Chadwick, Esq., late of
Swinton Hall, Lancashire, a magistrate for
that county.

The old Pudleston Court stood at no great
distance from the church, but it has long-
since disappeared, and a substantial farm-
house now occupies its place. The building
of the new mansion was commenced by the
present owner in 1846, and is not yet com-
pleted. It cannot therefore boast of any of
that peculiar interest which belongs to the
venerable halls of our forefathers ; but what
it loses in this way, it more than gains in
elegance and comfort, which are as mucdi
the attributes of modern buildings as the
picturesque is to our baiouial fortresses.
The style of its architecture is what for want
of a more appropriate name we may perhaps
be allowed to designate as the old embattled
English.

This estate was long held by the family
of Duppa. The last of that name, who pos-
sessed it, was the Rev. J. W. Duppa, rector
of Pudleston, upon whose decease it passed
by purchase to Elias Chadwick, Esq., the
gentleman now owning it. The living also is
in his patronage. The present Rector is the
Rev. Ct. T. AV'hitfield, A.M.

The parish, in which the house stands,
contains about two hundred and eighty
inhabitants. The country around is exceed-
ingly beautiful, as indeed may be said of
almost the whole county.

BROOMKOUSE, Berwickshire, tlie scat of
George Logan Home, Esq., Knight of the
Legion of Ilonour of France, and Knight of
the Redeemer of Greece.



Prior to the year 1814 there stood on the
site of the present building the ruins of an
ancient castle belonging to avery early period
of Scottish history. This fo'-tress had been
burnt down by the English under Sir Ralph
Evers and Sir Brian Latour prior to the
battle of Ancrum IMoor, which gave rise to
the war-cry in that fight, — "Revenge! Re-
member Brooudiouse."

At one time this property had formed a
part of the church's possessions ; but it was
assigned by Adam, prior of Coldingham,
with the consent of the Pope's commissioners,
to Patrick Home, the younger son of Sir
David, of Wedderburn. This took place in
1530, and the estate has ever since remained
with his descendants, without any of those
mutations arising from attainders, deficiency
of heirs male, and such causes Avhich we have
so often seen interrupting the thread of pos-
session in other families.

The present building was erected in 1814,
on the site of the ancient ruins by Lieute-
nant-Gcneral James Home. It is in the cas-
tellated style, harmonizing well Avith the
surrounding scenery.

MILTON HOUSE, Berkshire, about three or
four miles from Abingdon, the seat of John
Basil Barrett, Esq. The manor belonged
at a remote period to the abbot and con-
vent of Abingdon, but Avas granted in 1547
to Lord AA'^riothesley- From him it passed
in a short time to the family of Calton,
Avith whom it remained upAvards of tAvo
hundred years. About the year 1768, it
Avas purchased of the Caltons by John Briant
Barrett, Esq., in Avhose family it still remains.

The mansion house AA'as originally built
from designs by Liigo Jones :



' JIaster Suvvoyov, you tlwt first began
From thirty pounds in i)iplcins to the man
You are ; from tl\em leap'd forth an arelritcct
Able to talk of Euclid, and coiTect
Both him and Archimede—
By all your titles and whole style at once
Of tirenian, mountebank, and Justice Jones,
1 do salute you."



Notwithstanding this satirical accomit
giA-en b)' "Rare I^en " of his former friend
and coadjutor, lAlilton House Avould by no
means justify his Ioav estimate of the ar-
chitect. To be sure, the house AA-as gre:itly
added to and improved in 1791 by the grand-
father of the present OAvner; so that it may
be difficult to say Iioaa' much of the merit
really belongs to " Master Surveyor."

BROADWATER, co. Surrey, is the beauti-
fully situated residence, not far from
Godalming, of George Marshall, Esq., son
of the late Robert Marshall, Esq., and
the descendant of an old Sussex family ;







^1



.— i 5;

'■;=^ '-^



in



^









=^



■S



a

c

I

:/3



SEATS OP GREAT BRITAIN.



145



settled In that county fo)' many generations,
and transplanted about the middle of the
18th century to Surrey, by Thomas (son of
Thomas Marshall of Easebourne) who m.
Mary, only daughter of William Bryant of
Hasleraere.

Broadwater, from its well -chosen position,
and the lovely lake, that forms so marked a
feature in the landscape, is one of the most
delightful spots in the county of Surrey.

ASHRIDGE, Buckinghamshire, the splendid
seat of the Egerton family.

This place, formerly written Aesirugge,
— that is, a lull set with ash trees, — was, in
olden times, according to Lelaud, " of the
foundation of Edmund, erle of Cornwall,
and owner of Berckhamstede Castel." This
nobleman w-as the sou of Richard, Earl of
Cornwall, brother of King Ilem-y the Third ;
and his institution was for twent}^ brethren,
called Bonkommes, or Bom Homines, whom
he had brought over from the south of
Frcxnce. Of the twenty bretliren, thirteen
were to 1je priests. By some they have
been termed a set of mystics, and confounded
with the Albigenses ; but Mosheim much
more correctly, as it seems to us, declares
they were a remnant of the Paulicians.
They were bitterly opposed to the Preaching
Friars and Minorites, whose pretensions to
superior holiness and purity, they held up
to contempt by carvings and paintings in



Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 1) → online text (page 32 of 79)