Copyright
Bernard Burke.

A visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 1) online

. (page 34 of 79)
Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 1) → online text (page 34 of 79)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of it has been preserved by Pennant, which
we cannot do better than transcribe. It
should be observed that he visited the man-
sion — prior to its demolition — in his "Jour-
ney from Chester to London," and that he
speaks of it as a thing still in being.

" The building consists of two parts, dis-
cordant in their manner, yet in various re-
spects of a classical taste. On the outside of
the part, which forms the approach, is the
piazza or porticus, with a range of pillars of
the Tuscan order in front, where the philo-
sophic inhabitants walked and held their
learned discourse ; and within side is a court
with another piazza, tlie one being intended
for enjoying the shade, the other to
catch during winter the comfortable warmth
of the sun. The walls of the piazzas are
painted al fresco, with the adventures of
Ulysses, by Van Koepen. In one is a statue
of Henry the Eighth, in the other a bust of
the founder, Sir Nicholas Bacon, and another
of his lady. Over the entrance from the
court into the hall are these plain verses.



150



SEATS or GKEAT BKITAIN.



•which prove tlie date of tlie buikliug to have
been 1571 ;

' Hffic cum perfecit Nicolaus tecta Baconus,
Elizabeth regui lustra fuere duo.
I'actus eques, magni custos fuit ipse sigilli,
Gloria sit soli tota tributa Deo.
Mediocria firuia.'

Some lines over the statue of Orpheus, that
once stood on the entrance into the orcliard,
siiow what a waste the place was before it
was possessed by this great man : —

'Horrida nu])cr cram aspectu, latcbrocque feravuni,

Ruricolis tantuni numinibusque locus.
Edomitor fausto hlc dum forte superveiiit Orpheus

Ulterius qui me non siuil esse rudora,
Coiivocat amlsis virgulta virentia truncis,

Et sedem qu?B vel diis placuisse potest.
Sicque mei cultor, sic est raihi cultus et Orpheus ;

Floreat noster cultus amorque diu.'

In the orchard Avas built an elegant summer-
house (no longer existing), not dedicated
to Bacchanalian festivities, but to refined
converse on the liberal arts, which were
deciphered on the walls, with the heads
of Cicero, Aristotle, and other illustrious
ancients and moderns, who had excelled in
each." (Weever's Fun. jMon, p. 584.) This
room seemed to have answered to the diteta,
or favourite summer-room, of the younger
Pliny, at his beloved Laurentium, built for
the enjoyment of an elegant privacy apart
from the noise of his house. (Lib. ii , Epist.
17.) Methinks I discover many similitudes
between the villas of the Roman orator and
those of our great countryman. This build-
ing, the porticos suited to both seasons,
(Lib. v., Epist. 6) a cr\"i)to-porticus, or
noble gallery over the other (Lib. ii., Epist.
17), and finally towers placed at difierent
parts of the building, recall to mind many
parts of the villa so fully described by its
philosophic owner."

It must always be a subject of regret that
decay made it necessary to pull down so
noble a mansion, and Avliich was hallowed
by so many glorious recollections. The new
building was begun in 1778, and completed
in 1785, from the designs and under the di-
rection of Sir Robert Taylor. The portico
of the great entrance is supported by well-
proportioned Corinthian columns, to which
the ascent is by a flight of steps leading to
the hall, that, like most of the apartments, is
both large and handsome. Many valuable
pictures are to be found here, many of them
valuable as works of art, and others no less
interesting from their subjects. Amongst
the latter class may be mentioned the por-
trait of Queen Elizabeth, supposed to have
been given to Lord Bacon by the queen
herself; the portrait of the Earl of Claren-
don ; of Lord Chancellor Bacon; of Abbot,
Archbishop of Canterbury; of the Earl of
Southampton ; of General Monk ; of the



famous Philip Herbert, Earl of Pembroke ;
of Thomas Wentworth ; of Sir Harbottle
Grimston ; and many others of reputation
inferior only to these illustrious characters.
Here also are valuable paintings by Vandyck,
Annibid Caracci, Holbehi, Titian, Salvator
Iiosa, Domenichino, Teniers, Poussin, Paul
Potter, Breughel, Carlo Maratti, Tintoretto,
&c.

The park and grounds are supposed to
comprise about five hundred acres, abun-
dantly covered with fine timber of various
kinds. The surface, though not hilly, is
diversified by gentle slopes and hollows, the
whole being rendered yet more interesting
by the vicinity of Pre AVood.

EABCLIFFE-ON-TRENT, co. Notts; the
Plall, the seat of William Taylor, Esq., the
descendant of an old Lancashire family : he
became possessed of his estate here and at
Woodborough, in this county, by the marriage
of his ancestor, James Taylor, of Caythorpe,
Esq., who died in 1734, with Jane Moore, the
granddaughter and heiress of the very ancient
family of the Wodes, or Woodes, of Cohvick,
Lamley, and Woodborough, a family which,
by intermarrying with various eminent Not-
tinghamshire ones, became possessed of large
estates, several of which passed away with
junior branches, whilst a principal one still
remains vested in Mr. Taylor, as the repre-
sentative of the senior branch. From Thoro-
ton's Nottinghamshire, and a beautiful illu-
minated pedigree, drawn up by St. George,
Norroy iemii. James I., in the possession of
the family, continued from one of an earlier
date on vellum, of the Wodes of Swynsett,
in the county of York, also in j\rr. Taylor's
possession, and which matched with the chief
knightly families of the North, such as the
Conyers of Sockburn, the Caythorpes, Con-
stables, Pickerings, and St.Quintyns, &c. &c.,
it appears that Henry Wode, or AVoode, of
Enfield, co. jMiddlesex, Esq., living icmj}.
Rich. 111. and Hen. VIL, was one of the re-
presentatives of this ancient Yorkshire house.
He married Elizabeth, sole daugh+er and
heiress of John Chauntrell, Esq., and left, at
his death, a son, Henry AVoode, of Enfield,
Esq., Avho wedded " one of the daughters" of
John Strelly, of AA'oodborough, co. Notts,
gentleman, a family of great antiquity, being
the second Ijranch of the Strellys of Strelly.
His son, Robert AVoode, Esq., was seated at
Lamley, in the said county, and married Eliz-
abeth, "the sole daughter and heire" of Ro-
bert Slorj-e, Esq., of Colwicke, co. Notts, of
whom Thoroton, in his history, at page 278,
rcniarks, " that he was a man of large pos-
sessions ; " while St. George, in his pedi-
gree, says, "This Slorye manied one of tlie
daugliters and heircs ot Sir Giles Cohvick, of
Colwick, by whom he had Nether Cohvick ;



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



151



and Sir Joliii Byron's ancestor married ano-
ther of tlie daugliters, and had over Colwick ;
and afterwards Robert Woods, Esq., who
married Margaret Montague, sould Nether
Colwick to Sir John Byron, Knt."

Tlie next in succession was this Robert
Woode, of Colwick, Esq , living tenij). of
Henry VIII., Kdward VI., and Queen Eliza-
beth, who married into the great family of
Montague, liaving espoused Margaret, the
fifth daughter of Sir Edward Montague, Knt.,
Lord Cliief Justice of England, 30tli Ilenry
VIII , by his third wife, Ellen Roper. This
Sir Edward IMontague was descended from the
celebrated house of Montacute, Earls of Salis-
bury {v. Peerages), and was of Royal lineage,
tlirough his direct ancestor Sir John de Mon-
tacute, who died A d. 1389, having married
Margaret daughter of Thomas Lord Mon-
thermor, son and heir of Ralph de Monther-
mor, Earl of Gloucester and Hereford, ])y his
wife, Joan of Acres, second daughter of Ed-
ward I. ] ior d Cliief Justice Montague was the
ancestor of the late Dukes of Montague, the
present Duke of JManchester, and of the Earls
of Halifax and Sandwich. Robert Woode
and Margaret Montague left issue ten chil-
dren, of wliom the second son, Montague
Woode, married Frances,one of the daughters
and heirs of Sir Francis Willoughby, Knt., of
Wollaton,and had issue. Tlie females married
into tlie families of Dudley, of Clopton, co.
Northampton, and Parkins, of Bramwick,
CO. York ; the eldest son, John Woode, of
Woodborough, Esq., married Katherine,
the daughter of Richard Hewson, Esq., of
London, "merchant adventurer," and liad a
most nimierous progeny. John Woode, of
Woodborough, Esq,, was their eldest son,
and was living temp, of James I. and Charles
I. ; he married into the ancient family of the
Cliaworths, viz., to Katherine, one of the
daughters of Sir John Chaworth, of Wyvre-
ton and Annesley, Knt., fatlier to the first
Viscount Chaworth, and at their decease left
issue, one son, Montague AVoode, of Wood-
borough, Esq., living in 1673. He married
Bridget, daughter of Ricliard Carrill, or Caryl,
Esq., of Thorpe, co. Surrey, by Elizabeth, his
wife, daughter of Alexander Scofield, Esq.,
of Scofield, CO. Lancaster, and had issue
three sons, and as many daughters ; one of the
sons, ^[ontague, was rector of St. Michael's
Royal, London. All the sons died without
issue, and two of the daughters, viz., Kathe-
rine and Elizabeth, died unmarried — the
former of wliom, in 1716, purchased the
e.^tate at Radcliife of the ancient family of
the Resells, now in the possession of Mr.
Taylor. Bridget, the third daughter, and
eventually sole lieiress, married John Moore,
Esq., whose sole issue, Jane, born in 1702,
married, as has been before related, James
Taylor, Esq , of Caythorpe, the grandfather



of the present William Taylor, E.sq., of the
Hall, in this place, andalso of AVoodborough,
tlie now sole representative of the ancient
family of the AVoods. The said John Taylor
died in 1734, and his widow married again in
1740 Mr. Hedges, and their only son died s.p.
A.D. 1760. Several of the more ancient es-
tates have long since been carried out of the
family, but the AA^oodborough estate has been
in the possession of Mr. Ta^dor and of his
ancestors, the AVoodes, from the time of
Elizabeth and James I.

J\lr. Taylor quarters with bis own family
arms those of Woode, Chauntrill, Slorye, Col-
Avick, and others. Mr. Taylor is a magis-
trate for the county.

DODDINGTON HALL, in the county of Lin-
coln, the seat of George KnoUis Jarvis, Esq.,
the son of Lieutenant-Colonel Jarvis, who
died on the 14th of June, 1851.

The hall is a handsome mansion, in the
Elizabethan style of architecture, and is sup-
posed to have been built by Thomas Tailor,
Esq., in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. It
consists of two wings and a centre, the ap-
proach to it being under the archway of an
old-fashioned gate-house, with gables.

DECKER HILL, the residence of Beriah
Botfield, Esq., is situate on a lawn, near the
town of Shiffnal, surrounded by thriving
plantations, and approached by two lodges
from the Newport road. This place is first
described as a messuage and premises in
Drayton, in the parish of Idsall, alias Shiftnal,
and was in 1727 in possession of James
Aaron, tlie elder, who, in 17.30, was suc-
ceeded by his son James. The next pos-
sessor was James AVright, of Old-street, in
the parish of St. Luke, in the county of
Middlesex, carpenter, under whom, in 1743,
Edward Dover appears to have occupied the
house for nineteen years. In 1768 Thomas
Sambrook, of Siiiftnal, gentleman, purcliased
the estate, and subsequently mortgaged it to
Thomas Botfield, of Little Dawley, yeoman.
This incumbrance was discharged upon the
sale of the property in 1784 to the Hon. T.
Fitzwilliam, who enlarged the house, erected
tlie outbuildings, and first called it Decker
Hill. The next owner of this property was
Josluia AVilliams, of the city of Exeter, Esq.,
wdio sold it, in 1808, to Thomas Bishton, of
Kibrall, Esq., by whom, two years afterwards,
it was resold to AVilliam Botfield, Esq., of Mal-
linslee, who shortly afterwards transferred liis
residence to this place, when he considerably
enlarged the estate, embellished the grounds,
and rebuilt the mansion. Upon his death in

1850, liis widow continued to occupy the
house, and was succeeded upon her death, in

1851, by her nephew. The house is in the
simplest style of architecture, but spacious



152



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



and commodious witliin. From the terrace
on the south pohit, the eye looks over the em-
bankment of the Shrew.sburj'and Birmnigliam
Railway, SIiifFnal, and to the wooded heights
of Apley, the horizon being bounded by the
varied outline of tlie Clee Hills. The pleasure
grounds are chiefly remarkable for the dif-
ferent views Avhicli they command of the
adjacent country, extending from tiie Wrekin
to Wolverhampton, embracing the woods of
"Weston, of Lilleshall, the turrets of Tong,
the observatory of \Vrottesley,and the groves
of Aston, and of liaughton.

GILESTON MANOR, in the county of Gla-
morgan, the seat of the Rev. Frederic
Francis Edwardes, the present owner of the
manor, Avhich lias successively belonged to
the Giles', Aliens, Carnes, Willis', and Ed-
wardes'. In Hugo Spencer's survey made in
the year 1320, the lordship of Gileston is
recorded to have been then possessed by
the family of the Gdes' ; and their ancestors
are believed to have lield it prior to the
conquest of Glamorgan by Fitzhammon.
Major William Giles dying in 1673 without
male issue, the propeity was transmitted in
the female line, and by the second marriage
of his grand- daughter, iMary, was conveyed
to the Rev. ^ViUiam Willis, maternal great-
grandfather of the reverend gentleman now
possessing the estate. He descended from
the Willis', lords of the manor of Fenny
Compton.

The modern house was erected, after de-
signs by Inigo Jones, in the reign of George
the First, during the occupancy of the afore-
said iMary, relict of Richard Carne, Esq., of
Ewenny Abbey. This lady was daughter
of James Allen, Esq., by Winifred, only
child of the J>Iajor William Giles, already
mentioned as having died without male issue,
and seems to have proceeded with much
taste and judgment in choosing the site of
the ancient manor-place for the ground of
her new building. It stands most beautifully
situated within half a mile of the Bristol
Channel, of which and the opposite coast of
Somersetshire it commands a delightful pros-
pect. ']"he timber around it is of great age
and size, mingling an air of antiquity witli
the more modern semblance of the house
itself.

NORTHCOURT, Isle of Wight, about two
miles from Brixton, in the parish of Shor-
well, the seat of Sir Henry Percy Gordon,
Bart. This mansion was built in part by Sir
John Leigh, in the reign of James the First ;
but he, being advanced in 3'ears, died befoie
he could finish the Avork, and left its com-
pletion to his son. From the Leighs it
passed, about sixty years ago, to Richard
Bull, Esq., who much improved it. We next



find it in the possession of Richard Alex-
ander Bennet, Esq., from whom it has come
into the hands of the present possessor.

The style of architecture prevailing in
this seat may be inferred from the time of
its erection, the various improvements not
having much altered or disturbed its original
character. Over a porch in the centre are a
sliield of arms and the date 1615. The pro-
jecting portion of this front, however, and
the whole of that on the north side, are later
additions to the original design.

The grounds are Avell laid out, and com-
mand an extensive view of the sea. A suc-
cession of terraces, the work probably of the
original proprietor, still remain ; they ai-e
cut out in tiie side of the hill that adjoins
the mansion at the south end.

QUERNMORE PARK, sometimes called
Park Hall, Lancashire, the seat of William
Garnett, J'^sq., a magistrate for the county,
highsheriff for the samein 1843, and Master
Forester of Her Majesty's forest of Bleas-
dale, assigned to him, with the crown's con-
sent, by John Fenton Cawthorne, Esq.,M.P.,
in 1826, and confirmed by patent from the
crown, in 1842.

The name, Quernmore, has, in all proba-
bility, been derived from the stone wliich
is found here, called Hungerstone, full
of liard flinty pebbles, and similar to ancient
Roman querns, whereof small mill-stones were
formerly made This conjecture seems to be
coniirmed by the discovery of several
querns, which have recently been dug up in
the neighbourhood.

At one time, this estate belonged to the
Lords Clifford of Chudleigh, and the Hon.
Edward Clifford, who succeeded his brother
in the title, lived at the old Hall, wliich is
now converted into a farm house. Bj)- him
it was sold in 1793, to Charles Gibson, Esq.,
the builder of the present mansion, in the
year following.

In 1842, this estate passed into the hands
of William Garnett, Esq., who bouglit it
from the trustees of Mr. Gibson, then de-
ceased. As we have already observed, lie
was High Sheriff for the County Pala-
tine of Lancaster in 1843, and it is a re-
markable coincidence mentioned in Raines's
History of Lancashii-e, tliat in the time of
King John there was a family of the same
name, who held the manor of Halton, and
one of whom was high sheriff, and was also
]\Iaster Forester of Quernmore and of Bleas-
dale. Quernmore was finally and totally
disafforested by Act of Parliament in 1811,
from which time the customary septennial
perambulation has been confined to tlie
borough.

"\A'iib"am Garnett belonged to the cele-
brated firm of Robert and William Garnetf,



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



153



so distinguished in Mancliester for their large
commercial operations, more especially with
Russia. But in 1832, he retired from
business, -when he was put into the commis-
sion of the peace, and acted in the division
of Manchester so long as he resided in that
neighbourhood at Lark Hill, Salford, now
Peel Park. By purchases made at different
times, he has become owner of a large por-
tion of the entire forest of Bleasdale, and has
agreed with the Duchy for the forestal
rights in perpetuity over so much of the land
as belongs to himself.

The mansion at Quernmore is a handsome
quadrangular edifice, three stories high, with
wings, after a design by Mr. Harrison, an
eminent architect of Chester. The style of
it may perhaps be designated as the EnglisJi-
Italian ,• for its character is hardly decided
enough to bear a stricter appellation. It is
built of freestone, and commands a tine view
of the valley of the Lune, looking towards
Hornby Castle, the river flowing at a little
distance below, while behind, the prospect is
terminated by a mountain ridge, whence there
is an extensive view of Morecoinbe Bay, em-
bracing the entire range of the mountain
scenery in Cumberland. Opposite to thehouse
grows a coppice-wood, upon an eminence
called Flodden Hill. According to a legend,
familiar amongst the peasants of the neigh-
bourhood, it was here that the men of Lanca-
shire, belonging to these parts, celebrated the
battle of Flodden Field, to the gaining of
which they had so mainly contributed. Hence
came the appellation ; and it is supposed by
many, that the name is yet further justified
by a real or imaginary resemblance between
the two places.

jNIany natural curiosities have been found
about here, particularly specimens of pet-
rified moss, and remarkably fine septai-ia.
Tlie last are found in a brook not far distant.
Numerous specimens of fossil plants are also
found in the freestone.

NEWTON, now called Condie, in the co. of
Perth, the seat of Laurence Oliphant, Esq.,
at one time M.P. for Perth.

Condie was first built about 1545, by
William Oliphant, brother to Laurence,
third Lord, at which time he married his
cousin, Mary Oliphant, heiress of Berridale,
ill Caitlmess. It was sold about the year 1590
to Sir William Oliphant, a cadet of thefamily.

A tragical story is told, and currently
believed, in connection with this house.
Lady Oliphant, who was the wife of Sir
James, son of the above William, was killed
by her own sou in one of the rooms, some-
where about the year 1G23.

It is nearly a hundred years since this pro-
perty was bought by the grandfather of the
present Laurence Oliphant, who since the



death of the late James Oliphant of Gask is
now the lineal descendant of the first William,
and claims to represent the ancient house of
Oliphant. By him, as by his predecessors,
the mansion has, at different times, under-
gone various alterations, and though it can-
not, pel haps, boast of much architectural
beauty, it is exceedingly commodious, and
adapted to modern notions.

OTTERHEAD, in the county of Devon, the
seat of William Beadon, Jun., Esq. It is
doubtful by what families this estate has
been possessed ; but there are faint indica-
tions of its having at difterent times passed
through many hands. At one period, it was
held by the Coombes, of Earnshill, and the
present owner became possessed of it in
right of his wife, Ann, eldest daughter of
'\^'illiam Oliver, Esq , of Hope Corner, in the
county of Somerset.

Otterhead is romantically situated at the
head of the valley of the Otter, on the wild
track of hills forming the Black-Down range,
and is equidistant about eight miles from the
well-known towns of Taunton, Wellington,
Honiton, and Chard. At this point, the
Otter divides the counties of Devon and
Somerset, taking its rise at a short distance
from the house, to Avhich it has given the
name of Otteihead. The house and estate
have received considerable additions from
the present proprietor, the mansion being-
built in the early Tudor style of architectiu-e.

The grounds, which were at one time very
densely wooded, lost much of their most
valuable timber during the late war, when
the demand for that article became more
than usually pressing for varioits purposes.
The remains still exist of two avenues ap-
proaching the mansion, that sufficiently in-
dicate its former character of an old manor-
house.

Game is abundant here, and of more
various kinds than are usually to be met with
on the same spot. The principal are, wood-
cock, snipes, plover, partridges, pheasants,
and black-game, in addition to Avhich, a great
va)-iety of wild fowl is frequently attracted
hither in severe weather by the sheets of
water. Hares, too, are numerous. Trouts,
in the proper season, may be caught in
abundance, and sea fishing is within the
compass of a short drive.

The country of the Otter presents numer-
ous icatures of historical and geological
interest. In every direction are evidences
of the Piomans having once been here. On
the Otterhead estate alone, there are no less
than four mounds or barrows, and the re-
mains of smelting processes. It would seem
that the iron lay so abundantly on the
surface they had no need to make excava-
tions, but collected the ore in snudl heaps,

X



154



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



as is seen by the quantity of scoria lying
evenly scattered over many of the arable
fields. There is no doubt of iron still exist-
ing in considerable quantities upon the
Black-Down hills.

The geological character of the country is
thegreen sand-stone formation; and numerous
specimens of the marine life of very remote
ages are to be found even on tlie highest
grounds.

The course of tlie Otter is studded witli
places of note, — Up. Ottery, Mohun's Ottery,
Ottery St. Mary, &c. Speaking of this
last place, Risdon says, " Ottery St. IMary,
the prime place to which the river Ottery, or
river of water-dogs, communicates, its name,
hatli its dedication to St. Mary, in Roan, to
wliich it was given by King Ed^\'arfl the
Confessor, wlio was tlie son of Emma, sister
of the second Duke Richard, of Normandy ;
and his bringing up in those parts for the
space of twenty- five years, caused him so
much to afl'ect the Normans, tluit the ac-
quaintance they got here by his means pro-
cured them such liking of tlie land that tlieir
Duke, William, sliortly after conquered tliis
kingdom, and settled it on his posterity."

Hence it would appear, it was this part
which tirst attracted the cupidity of the
Normans, and led to the battle of Hastings,
so fatal to the Anglo Saxon domination.
'J"he tale is probable enough, for tlie course
of the Otter is through some of the fau-est
parts of the country.

LANGLEY PARK, in tlie county of Norfolk,
near the small town of Loddon, which is on
a branch of the river Yare, about ton
miles south-east from Norwich. This noble
mansion is the seat of Sir AVilliam Beau-
champ Proctor, Bart., a vice admiral in
the royal navy. Tt was commenced in 1720,
or theieabout, for Mr. Recorder Berney,
Avho before it was completed, sold the pro-
perty to George Proctor, Esq., and he,
dying in 1744, bequeathed it, Avith a con-
siderable estate, to his nephew, William
Beauchamp, Esq , afterwivrds Sir William



Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 1) → online text (page 34 of 79)