Copyright
Bernard Burke.

A visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 1) online

. (page 51 of 79)
Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 1) → online text (page 51 of 79)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


high court of Chancery, lield at the Ele-
phant Coflee House, in Bristol, which stated
the undoubted right of Mr. Lewis, and inci-
dentally mentioned this interesting anecdote
relating to the escape of Charles I.

EUSTON, CO. Suffolk, the seat of the Duke
of Grafton. Robert Bloomfield, the rustic
bard of Suffolk, Avas born in the vicinity of
" (irafton's ricli domain," and his muse loved
to commemorate the beauties of tliose fa-
voured scenes, Avherein his mind first be-
came stored Avith that abundance of rural
imager}', wliich, feeding his natural passion
for the country, Avas one day to give an irre-
sistible charm to the simple language of the
untaught peasant. Magical is tlie power of
genius! The humble "Shepherd's boj^, he
sought no better name," has imparted an
enduring association to the princely home
of Eustcn, more attractive than any other
connected Avith its history.

The village of Euston is situated a mile
from Fakenham, but the park extends
nearly to that place. It was formerly the
lordship of a family bearing the local name.



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN,



227



and afterwards descended to Sir Henry Ben-
net, who by King Charles II. was made
Secretary of State, and created A^iscount
Thetford, and Earl of Arlington. He en-
joyed tlie estate for many years, and built
the mansion of Euston Hall. In reference
to this, we find the following remarks of
John Evelyn :

" A stranger preached at Euston church,
and fell into a Jiandsome panegyric on my
lord's new building the church, which, in-
deed, for its elegance and cheerfulness, is
one of the prettiest country churches in
England. My lord told me his heart smote
him that after he had bestowed so much on
his magnificent palace there, he should see
God's house in the ruine it lay in. He has
also rebuilt the parsonage- house, all of
stone, very neat and ample."

By Isabella of Nassau, his wife, daughter
of Lewis, Count of Nassau, the Earl left an
only daughter and heiress, Isabella, the wife
of Henry Fitzroy, second illegitimate son of
King Charles II., by the Duchess of Cleve-
land, Immediately after his marriage in
1672, Henry Fitzroy was created by his
father Earl of Euston, and in tliree years
after made Duke of Grafton. His Grace
died from the effects of a wound received
at the siege of Cork, 9th October, 1G90, and
was buried at Euston. His son and suc-
cessor, Cliarles, second Duke of Grafton,
K G., Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, inherited,
in right of his mother, the Earldom of Ar-
lington. He married Henrietta, daughter of
Charles, Marquess of Worcester, and, dying
in 1757, was succeeded by his grandson, Au-
gustus itlenry, tliird Duke of Grafton, K.G.,
who filled at one time the office of First
Lord of tlie Treasur3^ His Grace died 14th
March, 1811, and was succeeded by his son,
George Henrj^, fourth Duke of (irafton,
K.G., Lord Lieutenant, Vice Admiral, ;nid
Gustos Rotulorura of Sufilblk. This noble-
man died in September, 1844, when his ho-
nours and estates devolved on his son
Henry, present Duke.

The ]nansion of Euston is large and com-
modious, built with red brick, of modern
date, and without any gaudy decorations
within or without. The house is almost sur-
rounded with trees of micommon growth,
and the most healthy and luxuriant .nppear-
ance, and near it glides the river Ouse.
The scenery about tlie hall and park com-
bines the most delightful assemblage of
rural objects that can well be imagined, and
is justly celebrated by the author of the
" Farmer's Boy ;"

" Here woods and groves in solemn grnndeur rise,
Here the kite brooding unmolested flies ;
The woodcock and the painted pheasant race,
And skulkLiig foxes, destined for the chase."

The estate is of very considerable extent.



including a number of villages and hamlets.
On an elevated situation in the park stands
the temple. This elegant structure was de-
signed for a banqueting-house, and was
built by the celebrated Kent, under the
auspices of Henry, third Duke of Grafton,
who laid the first stone himself in 1746. It
consists of an upper and loAver apartment,
and is in the Grecian style of architecture.
It forms an interesting object from many
points of view in the neighbourhood, and
commands a wide range of prospect.

Bloomfield, in his " Autumn," thus eulo-
gizes Euston and its noble proprietor :

" Here smiling Euston boasts iier good Fitzroy
Lord of pure'alms, and gifts that wide extend,
The farmer's patron, and the poor man's friend ;
Whose mansion glitt'ring with the eastern ray,
Whose elevated temple points the way
O'er slopes and lawns, the park's extensive pride.
To where the vietuns of the chase reside."

lAKGDON HALL, Devon, the seat of
Charles Biggs Calmady, Esq. Langdon,
anciently the inheiitance of the Pipards,
subsequently belonged to the Parrs, and
here, says tradition, resided Catherine Parr,
Queen-consort of Hemy VIII. A part of
the estate, admired for its fine view, is still
called Catherine's land ; and in the house is
preserved a lock of the Queen's hair. From
the Parrs it became the property of the
Calmadys, who possessed it, together with
the Mewstone and other lands, about the
commeuceiiient of the seventeenth century'.
A^'incent Calmady, son and heir of Richard
Calmady, of Calmady, in Cornwall (where
the family were seated at an early period),
is supposed to have been the first of the
Calmadys wlio possessed Langdon Hall, and
nearly rebuilt and greatly improved tlie
mansion. His son and heir, .Josias Calmady,
enriched the consequence of liis famdy by
his marriage with Catherine, daughter and
co-heir of Caiew Courtenay, sou of Sir
AVilliam Courtenay, of Powderham Castle.
Tlieir arms, quartered in stone, are still pre-
served over the gateway of the western
entrance.

Tlie son and lieir of the marriage of Cal-
mady and Courtenay, Sir Shilston Calmady,
of Langdon, received the honour of knight-
hood in 1618. By Ilonora, his Avife, daughter
of Edward Fortescue, Esq.. of Fallapit, and
relict of Sir H. Prideaux, Knt., he was direct
ancestor of Francis Calmady, Esq., of Lang-
don, the last male heir of this ancient family,
who died unmarried, leaving his two sisters
his co-heirs ; the elder, Elizabeth, wedded
Christopher Hamlyn, Esq., of Pascoe, De-
von, and the younger, Pollexfen (who in-
herited Langdon), became the Avife of Ad-
miral Charles Holmes Everett, who assumed,
by act of Parliament, the surname and arm.-^
of Calmady. Of tlils latter marriage, the



228



SEATS OF GRF.AT IJIUTAIX.



son and lieii', Charles Biggs Calmady,
Esq., is the present possessor of Langdon.

The manor is situated in the parish of
Wembury, about five miles from Plymouth,
and forms the most interesting part of a
charming promontory on the south-eastern
side of Plymouth Sound. A small solitary
bay, into which flows the river Yealm,
bounds the promontory on the east. The
scenery on the banks of this river is truly
beautiful, and cannot fail to awaken the
most lively sensations. On a ridge of the
innermost cliffs, and in a situation as solitary
as it is impressive, rises the church of Wem-
bury, with its weather-braving and embat-
tled tower. This edilice has long been the
solemn depository of the remains of the
Calraadys, and contains many beautiful
sepulchral memorials. From the contem-
plation of these mementoes the beholder
may, in an opposite direction, survey from
the muUioned w'indow of the church one of
the most sublime spectacles tliat can be pre-
sented to the eye ; the vast Atlantic, rolling
in its tremendous -waves to the majestic
cliffs of Devon and Cornwall, and beating
round the solitary IMewstone, which is
closely seen rising out of the sea, an object
of uncommon interest.

The Yealin
Strays murmuring among Ins wooded cliffs;
And on liis banks is Lnnydoii, seated deep
In its own clustering groves, and who would hope
Who haply treads that desert bay below
Where ends the coui se of Ycalm, to find so near
A spot so sweet as l.aiiydon. Fairer scenes
Than those that lie beneath the raptur'd eye
This green isle knows not : ever varied too
Is the full prospect ; valleys softly sink
And uplands swell, no level sameness tires
While in the distance, happily dispos'd,
Sweeps roimd the bold blue moor.

CRAWMORE KAIL, Somersetshire, the seat
of John IMoore Paget, Esq., not far from the
Mendip Hills. The Hall takes its name from
the liberty of Cranmore, which itself has
derived its appellation from tw^o Saxon
words, CRAN, a cmne^ and JIEI^E, a marsh or
lake, the ground here having been at one
time a fen, and would be so still if the rivu-
let running througli the valley were not kept
clear and within its channel The mansion
"was erected in the early part of the seven-
teenth century ; yet, short as the time is, in
an anfiquaii;!!] point of view, the founder's
name has already sunk into oblivion.

DEKBY GRANGE, in the parish of Kirk-
heaton, in the \\'est Riding of Yorkshire,
about seven miles from "WakcJield, the seat
of Sir John Lister Eister Kaye, Bart. This
estate has been in tlie possession of the same
family for m;niy generations. The baronetcy
originated in tlie time of Charles the First,
who, on the 4th of Felnaiary, 1641, ad-
vanced Sir John Kaye, of W'oodsome, Knt.,



to the dignity of a baronet, in reward for
his faithful services during the civil war.
Notwithstanding his adherence to the crown,
he passed in safety through Cromwell's pro-
tectorate, and survived to Avitness the re-
storation of Charles the Second.

Denby Grange was first inhabited as a
family seat when the oidy daughter and heir
of Sir Arthur Kaye, of Woodsome, Knt.,
married George Legge, Esq., Viscount
Lewisham, by Avhich marriage the AYood-
some estate passed into the Dartmouth
family; and the baronetcy of Kaye to
John Lister Kaye, of Denby Grange,
nephew to Sir Arthur. It is a square stone
building, in a simple but handsome style of
architecture, with a portico in front, sup-
ported by Doric columns. The park and
domain, of which the house commands a
fine view, are well wooded and exceedingly
picturesque, and the Grange itself w^as much
modernised and improved by Sir John Kaye,
who died in 1827, when he was succeeded by
the present owner.

THORPE PLACE, formerly Thorpe Hall
Place, in the county of Surrey, near Chert-
sey, the seat of the Rev. Hemy Leigh Ben-
nett. Thorpe, or I'orp, as it is spelt in Domes-
day Book, Avas a dependance of the abbey of
Chertsey, and was then hold, under the
monks, by a family that took its name from
the manor. After the dissolution of
monasteries by Henry the Eighth, this
manor remained in the crown till, in 1.590,
Queen Elizabeth gave it to Sir John Wol-
ley, her Latin secretary. His only son and
heii". Sir Francis, left it, by Avill, to his
cousin, William Winterne, of Hall Place
House, in Thorpe, with remainder to his
cousin, Elizabeth, who convej'ed it, by mar-
riage, to Sir Francis Leigh. In their de-
scendants it long remained, till, by the mar-
riage of two co-heiresses, in the years 1731
and 1737, respectively, it devolved to the
fiimilies of Bennett and Spencer. Eventually
a division of the Leigh estates took place,
and in 176S, under the piovi.sions of an
act of Parliament obtained the year before,
the estate of Thorpe was allotted to the
Rev. Wolley Leigh Bennett. His son, the
late Rev. John Leigh Bennett, pulled down
the old mansion at Hall Place, and built a
new and handsome house in its stead, to
Avhich he gave the name of Thorpe Place.
He died in 1835, when he was succeeded by
his son, the present OAvner, and rector of the
parish.

The mansion is of brick, and of an unpretend-
ing character ; comfort and convenience having
been more studied in its erection than archi-
tectural elegance. The grounds extend to the
hanging Avoods of St. Anne's Hill, at one time
the residence of the celebrated statesman







3



m

O



f


5


H


z


©


3;



■^


^


©




:^


Id


^




©


c


H


u^




K


^


a


g




N




'^





o
o



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



229



Charles James Fox, who might offen be
seen, a placid and smiling spectator of the
cricketings and other sports upon the com-
mon below. The grounds are exceedingly
well timbered, a cliaracteristic indeed of all
that part of Surrey,

OWSTON, in the West Riding of York-
shire, about five miles from Doncaster, the
seat of Philip Davies Cooke, Esq., a magis-
trate and deputy lieutenant for the same
division of the county. In tlie Domesday
Book, it is written Austun, but, as Hunter
Avell observes, "in a countr^^ where tliere is
a AWton " {i. e., a North-town), " and a Std-
ton " (^■. e., a South-town), " it is no impro-
bable conjecture tliat the name is East- town,
the direction being taken from Burgh-
Wallis."

Until recent times, the manor of Owston
remained parcel of the duchy of Lancaster,
when it would seem to have been leased to
the family of Adams. The two last of this
name are said to have been wild, extiava-
gant men, and the tale is not improbable, since
we find them selling all their lands in this
part of the country, when Owston was
bought by Henry Cooke, Esq., younger son
of Sir rienry Cooke, the second baronet
at Wheatley.

Owston, which is placed upon a magne-
siau, limestone soil, was built either by the
Adam's, or before their time, for on making
the purchase, Mr. Cooke found a good house
there, Avhich had been the seat of the
Adam's. It was then of the Elizabethan
style of architecture, but towards the end of
tlie last century, it received many additions,
and was completely modernised. Around it
is a park, comprising at least two hundred
acres, in which, as well as in tlie pleasure
grounds, there is a great variety of scarce
trees and shrubs, all in the highest state of
perfection. In fact it is exactly the place
that Evelyn, Avitli his love of forest-scenery,
would have regarded with delight and ad-
miration.

FAIR OAK, Sussex, the seat of the Hon;
Jolm Jervis Carnegie, next brother of the pre-
sent Earl of Northesk. At one time. Fair Oak
would appear to have been no more than a
farm ; as such it is mentioned in a deed b)^
which Robert Edsau, gent., sold Chancton,
" together with the farms, called Tregalls,Fair
Oak, and Lampton, to James Butler, Esq., of
Amberley." A house was built here by the
late Vice Admiral the Hon. Sir Charles Paget,
G.C.H., in 1808, but tliis was pulled down
and rebuilt in 1844 by the present possessor,
in the Grecian style of architecture.

The grounds are well wooded, presenting
many ditferent kinds of useful and orna-
mental timber, and sloping down towards the



river Rother, a small but pretty stream, that
flows at no great distance.

HATHERTON LODGE, Cheshire, the resi-
dence of John Twemlow, Esq., about three
miles from Nantwich, so celebrated at one
time for its numerous brine springs, from
Avhich circumstance it was then called Ilalen
Gunjn, or " The Wliite Salt Town."

The lodge estate was purchased of the re-
presentatives of Sir Thomas Smith, Bart., the
last of that family at tlie Hough, by William
Twemlow, Esq., who first settled in this
township of Hatherton, having originally
come from Aiclyd, near Sandwich, in tlie
year 1686. AVitli his descendants it has
continued ever since. John, son of William
Twemlow, Avas born in 1700, and upon the
invasion of England by the Chevalier, Charles
James Stewart, in 1744, he held a commis-
sion as captain of a volunteer corps raised
within the huiidred of Nantwich, to maintain
the cause of the house of Hanover. He
narrowly escaped sharing the glory and tlie
dangers of a pitched battle, an engagement
being expected to take place between the
Duke of Cumberland and the invaders on the
plain called Stoneiield, near Stone, in Staf-
fordshire ; but for some reasons not generally
understood, the idea of this action was
abandoned

William Twemlow, Esq., son of the above,
was born in 1734. He made considerable
alterations and additions to the house. Upon
his demise, in 1807, the propertj^ devolved
to his eldest son, John Twemlow, Esq., born
in 1764. This gentleman served the office
of liigh constable for the Nantwicli lumdred,
and was an officer in a cavalry regiment
raised there at the time of Napoleon's
threatened invasion. He also made exten-
sive improvements iqDon the estate ; his
nephew is the present owner.

In the house is a good collection of paint-
ings. It consists for the most part of land-
scapes, hunting pieces, and many pictures of
favourite dogs and horses. In addition to
these are several engraved family portraits.

HENGWST, Merionetlishire, Nortli Wales,
one of the seats of Sir Robert Williames
Vaughan, Bart., of Nannau The very ancient
family of Vaughan is a younger branch of the
Princes of Powys, derived from Cadwgan,
Lord of Nannau, who was for some time as-
sociated in tlie sovereignty Avith his elder
brother, Meredith ap Bleddyn, and is digni-
fied by Camden with the title of " the re-
nowned Briton." Ileugwrt came to Cadg-
wan's descendants through the marriage of
Ilowel Vaughan, of Wengraig, temp. James
I., with Margaret, daughter of Edward
Owen, and granddaughter of the ill-fated
Lewis Owen, M.P., baron of the Welsh Ex-



230



SKATS OF GREAT BlIITAIN.



chequer, Avho was barbarously murdered
near Dinasmawddwy in 1555. Tlie present
mansion dates from 1676, wlien it was built
by Robert Vauglian, Esq. It contains a
fine collection of old Welsh manuscripts, and
in the hall stands an ancient Welsh harp,
which may have been touched by the min-
strels of a remote period, One would wish
to think so at all events, and even if it be an
illusion, small thanks are due to him who
would destroy it, and substitute a barren
truth in the place of a delightful fancy, sup-
posing it to be otherwise than real. At
Hengwrt was born i)i 1592, the celebrated
antiquary, Robert Vaughan, the friend and
correspondent of Archbishop Usher, and
author of " British Antiquities Revived,"
besides other genealogical and historic works.
In genealogy he was so skilled, and his
knowledge on that subject derived from such
genuine sources, that Hengwrt became, as it
were, the Heralds' College of the Princi-
pality, and no pedigree was deemed authen-
tic until it had obtained Robert Vaughan's
sanction.

The present Sir Robert WilliamesVaughan,
possesses also RUG, in the same county,
built in 1809, by his brother. Colonel Ed-
ward Williames Vaughan, who assumed the
nameofSalusbury. The chief mansion, how-
ever, of the Vaughans, and that which gives
designation to their baronetcy is

NANNA.U. Like Rug, the present edifice is
in the Grecian style. It was built in 1800,
by the late Sir R. W. Vaughan, Bart., and is
light and handsome, without presenting any
peculiar architectural features. JMany re-
nowned and gallant soldiers belonged to this
race ; and a tradition is still current of
HOWBL Sele, of Nannau, cousin to Owen
Glynd \vr, the inveterate enemy of the English,
strongly illustrative of the wild manners of
the times. Tlie two chieftains had long been at
variance, Howel being a warm friend to
the house of Lancaster, till the abbot of
Ivymmer, effected between them an out-
ward reconciliation. One day, while tliey
were walking together, Owen observed a
doe feeding, and desired Howel, who was
reputed the best archer of his day, to give a
specimen of his skill. Howel accordingly
bent his bow, and as if aiming at the pro-
posed mark, but suddenly turning round,
discharged it I'uU at the heart of his com-
panion. Fortunately for Glyndwr he had
armour beneatli his clothes, and thus escaped
unhurt ; but, being enraged at this treachery,
he seized on Scic, burnt his house, and
hurried him away from the place. From that
time none ever heard of him, nor was it sus-
pected to what place he had been conveyed,
till about forty years after this event, when
the skeleton of a large man, such as Howel,
was discovered in tlie hollow of a huge oak,



in which it was supposed he had been con-
cealed by Glyndwr. This story, somewhat
differently told, forms the subject of a pretty
ballad by the Rev. George Warrington,
which is quoted by Sir Walter Scott, in his
Notes to " Marmion." The vengeance of the
Welsli prince was not confined to a single vic-
tim. While carrying ofl' his prey, a rescue was
attempted by a relation of Howel's, Gryffydd
ap Gwyn, of Ganllwyd in Ardudwy, but Owen
defeated him, slaying numbers of his men, and
in revenge, burnt to the ground his two man-
sions of Berthlwyd and Cefn Coch.

Pennant describes the ruins of the old
house of Nannau as still remaining m the
park in his day, but only as a mere compost
of cinders and ashes.

SWEITENHAM HALL, Cheshire, the seat
of Tliomas John Wybault Swettenham, Esq.
This ancient inheritance of the Swettenhams,
enjoyed by them from a period antecedent to
the Conquest, is finely situated, opposite to
Davenport, upon high ground overhanging the
north bank of the Dane. In the sixteenth
century, the male line having become extinct,
Joan, daughter and heir of Thomas de Swet-
tenham, brought the estate to the Davenports,
of Davenport, but before the year 1620 the
male heir of the Swettenhams repossessed
himself of it by purchase. In 1780, on the
death of Thomas Swettenham, Esq., the last
heir male of this famil}', and who had assumed
the name of Willis, this manor passed by his
will to his widow for life, with remainder to
Mvs. Keys, a distant relation, also for life, and
after both their deaths in fee to Jolm Eaton,
Esq., a lineal descendant of the old famil}',
who assumed the name of SAvettenham, and
was grandfather of the present proprietor.

BLACK EALL, Devonshire, in the parish of
North Huish, about six miles from Totnes, the
seat of James Cornish, Esq., High Sheriff of
the same county in 1852, This gentleman was
returned by the borough of 'I'otnes to the
first reformed Parliament, but resigned liis
seat at the end of the session.

For more than two centuries Black Hall
belonged to the Fowells, a family of very
great antiquity, and claiming to be of Saxon
origin. Amongst tliis wide spread race we
meet with many distinguished characteis,
whose names aie intimately connected with
some of the leading events in English his-
tciry. Thus, Sir John Fowell, Bart., was
one of the hundred and fifty- one members
of the celebrated Convention, who Acted
against the elective principle of making the
Prince of Orange King, but for declaring tlie
Princess Mary, Queen.

Black Hall was purchased of the Fowells
by Hubert Cornish, Esq., together with the
other estates connected Avith the pro-
prietoiship thereof. These he devised fo



SEATS OF GREAT EIUTAIX.



231



his eldest brother, James Cornisli, Esq.,
for life, ill whose eldest son they are
now vested in fee. Tliey are generally
known as the Black Hall Estates, though
allied to Black Hall only by their prox-
imity and ownership. But the bulk of
this gentleman's property extends over por-
tions of seven other parishes, some coming
to him as heir at-law to liis father; others
being vested in him under the will of the late
Captain Henry Laroche, Tl.N.; and others
again being purchased by himself.

The mansion, which occupies the site of
an older residence, was erected by the late
Hubert Cornish, Esq., before mentioned. It
is built upon a central estate of one hundred
and fifty acres, and belongs to the Doric
order of architecture, standing in the midst
of a lawn, with a southern aspect. It contains
a very fine collection of pictures, and there
are besides, a conservatory, green-house, hot-
house, and orangery. The grove and adja-
cent pleasure-grounds are replete witli the
rarest coniferous trees and shrubs, extending
over twenty acres, and the whole is bordered
on the east by the mountain stream that de-
bouches into Bigbury Bay, called the river
Avon. The scenery around is characterized
by that succession of hill and dale Avhich
lends in general so much beauty to the De-
vonshire landscape, while the soft and mild
climate is particularly favourable to the
growth of vegetation.

TRANBY PARK, in the East Riding of
Yorkshire, the seat of John Todd, Esq., who
inherited it at the decease of his father in
1837. On the mother's side, he is distantly
related to Lords Eldon and Stowell.

The mansion is in the Italian style of
architecture, commanding a line view of
the Humbei*, as it rolls through an interest-
ing portion of the co].intry. There is also
an extensive park attached to it.

WOODCOTE PARK, Surrey, about a mile
from Epsom, and adjoining the race-course,



Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 1) → online text (page 51 of 79)