Copyright
Bernard Burke.

A visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 1) online

. (page 54 of 79)
Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 1) → online text (page 54 of 79)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ultimate heir male of the said Alice Baroness
d'E^mcourt, daughter and sole heir of John,
Lord d'Eyncourt, which William was free
from all corruption of blood by reason of
the said attainders. (See " Bm-ke's Landed
Genuy," p. 1371, tit. Tennyson d'Eyncourt.)

The view from Bayons Manor presents a
beautiful example of English landscape.
Towards tlie north-west, the village of
Tealby, embowered in trees, is seen with its
ancient church, on the side of an abrupt
acclivity. The surrounding hills are crowned
with wood, which is gracefully scattered down
the green slopes of the park. On the south-
west, as the view extends beyond the broad
lake and varied home scenery, a vast plain, co-
vered for miles with ancient timber, exhibits
itself as a widely-spread forest, with many sa-
lient olijects in the vale between tlie Wold and
Cliff of Lincolnshire. Over this woody region
the Cathedral of Lincoln, nineteen miles dis-
tant, is distinctly seen ; and from the elevated
tower, in the keep at Bayons, the eye
ranges over an immense tract of country
towards Leicestersliire and Rutland. Imme-
diately behind this tower, eastward, tliere
appears to have been, at some remote period,
a former castle. When it existed is un-
known. Aged persons, who died within the
memory of some yet living, spoke of having
seen in their youth a remnant of ruins
which for centuries had cumbered the
ground, and stated the tradition that this
had been a precedent manor-place in some
by -gone age. On digghig, the building seems
to have been destroyed by fiie, of which traces
exist in every part explored. The demarcation
of this castle is clearly traceable, with its
glacis, defensive ditch, circular towers, outer
walls, and extensive court. The position
was strong, and dominated over the country
to the Avest.

A melancholy interest is imparted to



Bayons RIanor and its beautiful scenery by
the wretched fate of two of its proprietors,
Francis, Lord Lovel and d'Eyncourt, and his
nephew Henry Norris ; the former lost his
life by resisting the usurper Henry VII.,
and the latter was sacrificed, not to the ge-
nuine suspicion of a jealous husband, but to
the passion of Henry VIII. for another
woman, after three years of cohabitation
with his Queen Anne Boleyn. Norris was
promised pardon if he would confess his
pretended guilt and accuse the Queen, — a pro-
posal which proves that the exclusive object
was her destruction ; but, he indignantly
rejected it, saying he would die a thou-
sand deaths ratlier than utter so base a
falsehood ; and he was beheaded. Heniy
signed the execution of his Queen ant.
otliers on the IGth May. Henry Norris
was executed on the 17th, and tlie Queen
on tlie 19th May, 1636. The King was in the
forest attired for the cliase, breathlessly await-
ing the signal-gun which was to announce that
the axe liad severed from her body the beau-
tiful head of his so lately adored, and doubt-
less, innocent wife and victim ; and when
the death-gun boomed along the Thames, he
exclaimed — "Ha! ha! the deed is done!"
And at night he confirmed the cheering intel-
ligence to his elected bride. (See Miss Strick-
land's "Anne Boleyn.") On the following
morning, 20tli May,allhavingbeen previously
prepared, he espoused Jane Seymour. Avho
had permitted his premature courtship.
Should the statue of such a man disgrace
England and its Kings in their Palace of
Westminster ! Grateful should we be that
not one drop of his blood taints the
Royal line which now occupies the throne ;
and as far as we know Providence has
not permitted any of it to linger on the
earth, even through an illegitimate channel.

We have extended our observations on
this remarkable place beyond our ordinary-
limits, and will only add, therefore, a matter
interesting to the numismatic antiquary. In
1807, a glazed earthen vessel was turned up
by the plough on INIr. d'Eyncourt's estate at
Bayons, then the property of his fathei, con-
taining nearly G,000 .silver pennies of Henry
II., of various mints, and disclosing to anti-
quaries several mintages and specimens be-
fore unknown ; examples of which are now,
of course, at Bayons j\Ianor. By the liber-
ality of the owner, collections were placed
in the British Museum and other reposito-
ries. The discovery was made nearly at the
summit of the AVold, by the side of what
appeared to have been at some ancient period
a road on the southern boundary of the
Manor. A minute acconnt of these coins is
given in vol. 18. of the " Archs-eologia."

On the whole, Bayons Manor, its delight-



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



241



ful grounds and varied landscape, present an
interest and a charm beyond the average
of our manorial residences, which tlie vitia-
ted taste of the 18th century in too many
instances degraded from their national and
antique costume, and thus reducing them to
ordinary dwellings, so far destroyed those
historical and domestic associations which
are calculated to inspire attachment to the
soil, and insure its defence in the hour of
danger.

We have given two views of the Manor
House of Bayons, one of which forms the
frontispiece to this volume.

_ HARTINGTON HALL, in the parish of Hart-
ington, Derbyshire, the property of Sir
Francis Edward Scott, Bart., Avho inherited
it from his maternal grandfather, Sir Hugh
Bateman. The manor at one time belonged
to the Ferrers family ; but upon the attain-
der of Eobert de Ferrers, Earl of Derby, it
"was granted to Edmund, Earl of Lancaster,
who had an excellent castle or mansion here
in the time of Edward the First. It must,
however, have been subsequently granted to
Sir John de la Pole, knight, or to some one
of his ancestors ; for in Edw;ird the Third's
reign we find the mansion and tlie Jlauor of
Sheen were again purchased of Sir Jolin dela
Pole by the king, as appears by the manu-
script-book, called Great Ayloffe, in the
Duchy of Lancaster Office, as also Harleian
manuscript additions, B.M., 6681. The Do
la Poles continued, notwithstanding, to re-
side in the ancient hall until the early part
of Henry the Eighth's reign.

The manor remained attached to the
Ducliy of Lancaster till 1G03, wlien it was
granted by James the First to Sir George
Hume, Chancellor of tlie Exchequer; but in
1617 it once more reverted to the Crown :
James then bestowed it upon his favourite,
Sir George Villiers ; and in 1663 it was
purchased of Villiei's, Duke of Buckingham,
by William Cavendisli, Earl of Devonshire,
by whose heirs it is still possessed. The
Hall, however, with the annexed estate, was
the property and residence of the Batemans
in the early part of the sixteenth century,
and now belongs to their descendant. Sir
Francis Edward Scott, Bart., grandson and
heir of Sir Hugh Bateman, Bart.

If we may believe the traditions that have
come down to us from olden times, the
neighbourliood has been the site of many
battles. On Hartington Common the Britons
had a sharp conflict with the celebrated
Eoman General, Agricola ; and upon the
hills not far from the village, a fierce battle
is said to have taken place between the
cavaliers and the roundheads in the great
Civil War. The frequent finding of musket
balls, washed down with the earth from the



high grounds diu-ing heavy rains, seems to
confirm the popular tradition.

STEEPHILL CASTLE, Isle of Wight, about
a mile from Ventnor, the seat of John Ham-
brough, Esq. Previous to 1781 the Riglit
Hon. Hans Stanley, the Governor of the Isle
of Wiglit, resided here ; but upon his death
it devolved to his sisters, by them it was
sold to the Hon. Wilbraham Tollemache, of
Calverley Hall, Chester ; and for many years
was the favourite residence of the Earl of
Dysart.

The old building was little more than a
cottage, though exceedingly elegant and
commodious. This estate having been pur-
chased by John Hambrough, Esq., of Han-
well, Middlesex, and Pipewell Hall, North-
amptonshire, he pulled down the cottage
and erected (after designs by Sanderson, 'the
Architect, the restorer of Henry VII. 's
Chapel, NVestminster Abbey) the present
mansion, which is castellated of the time
of Steplien, the furniture wdthin being
fine old specimens of carved workmanship
of the reign of Queen Elizabeth. The
jjleasure-grounds, with their winding-walks,
extend three miles and upwards, and pre-
sent a variety of rare plants and shrubs,
wliich, owing to the extreme mildness of
tlie climate, flourisli most luxuriantly. From
the upper part of the building the prospect
is one of surjjassing beauty, tlie open chan-
nel in front, and the country in the
direction of St. Lawrence, presenting fea-
tures that must be seen to be duly
appreciated. Stecphill Castle has been
twice visited by the Queen and Prince
Albert.

GLYNN, Cornwall, about four miles from
Bodmin, and in the parish of Cardinliam, the
seat of Lord Vivian, a name which has
attained so much celebrity by the military
services of the late Sir Husscy Vivian during
the Peninsular AVar. Gilbert, in his History
of Cornwall, tells us that " Glin, or Glynn,
is a name taken and given from the ancient
natural circumstances of the place, where
lakes, pools, and rivers of water abound, and
groves of trees or coppices flourish and
grow, derived from the Japhetical Greek,
\)fiv7], lacus."

This place has also been called Glynford,
" by reason of a bridge or pass over the
Fowcy river there, for ford in British sig-
nifies a street, road, pass, or highway over
waters."

While the manor took its appellation from
the circumstances just detailed, the very
ancient family of the De Glynns was named
after the nif.no.*, of which they became pos-
sessed at a very early period, and so con-
tinued till about the time of Edward the

I I



242



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



Second, or first year of Edward the Tliird.
The male line of tliis family then became
extinct, and the sole daughter and heir mar-
ried Carmynow, of Iiesprin, or Polmangan,
who also died, leaving only a daughter.
This lady tlien brought the estate by mar-
riage to Courtenay, whose posterity sold it
to a younger branch of the Glyinis, and tlius
the place in Henry the Seventh's reign once
more devolved to the family of its ancient
posse&?ors. With them it now remained
till 183.^, when it was sold to Sir liussey
Vivian, afterwards Lord Vivian.

One of the Glynn family was an active
partisan of Charles the Fu-st, being related
to the famed Cavalier Sir Bevil Granville.
Another, John Glynn, born in 1722, was no
less distinguished for his legal knowledge ;
he was a serjeant-at-law, I\rember of Parlia-
ment for Middlesex, and Eecorder of Lon-
don as well as of Exeter ; ho died in 1779,
aged fifty- seven.

But thpugli tliis barton has passed from
the Glynns, the old attachment for Cornwall
seems to be still strong in one at least of
their descendants. Tlie grandson and re-
presentative of the celebrated 'Serjeant, and
a grandson, on the mother's side, of Sir
William Oglander, Bart. (W. A. Glynn,
D.C.L., Oxon), is, we understand, in treaty
for, if he does not already possess, a barton
or manor in Cornwall. Although residing
at Fairy Ilill, as beautiful a spot as any in
•the Isle of Wight ; yet still

" Dwlces reminiscituv Argos."

The mansion of Glpin stands in a wooded
vale, at the bottom of a declivity, not far
from the Foy or Fowey, a rapid river tliat
sweeps along its rocky bed under the shade
of some tine cliffs, and of Avoods covering
very high and steep acclivities. About the
end of the year 1819 a fire occurred at mid-
night, which destroyed the whole of the
interior, and with it one of the finest lavi'-
libraries in the county, including other
valuable property.

Par and wide the landscape has a. bold,
romantic, and wild aspect, which consider-
ably heightens the effect of the softer and
more cultivated portions.

The arms of the Glynns, as appearing
on several parts of the Glynn Aisle, in
Cardynham Church, the family burial place,
are " argent, three salmon-spears, sable."

TREVALYN HALL, Denbighshire, the resi-
dence of Tiiomas Griffith, Ksq., High Sheriff
of Denbighsliire in 1849. Tliis mansion was
built by Sir John Trevor, Comptroller of tlie
Household to Queen EHzabeth, wliich may
probably account for the royal arms being
placed over the front entrance, with the in-
scription 1576, A,K. (anno Reginas) 18. The



arms also of the Trevor family and several
of their alliances are to be seen in different
parts of the building ; and in this ancient
family, lineally descended from Tudor Tre-
vor, the estate continued uninterruptedly
until 174.3 ; it then passed to theBoscawens,
by the marriage of Ann Trevor — daughter
and eventual coheir of John Morley Trevor,
Esq , of Trevalyn, Plas Teg, and Glynde —
with the Hon, General George Boscawcn,
(third son of Hugh, first Viscount Falmouth.)
whose grand-daugliters still possess it.

This edifice is of the Elizabethan order,
and has by some been attributed to the cele-
brated Inigo Jones. It had become partly
dilapidated, but after the marriage of the
present occupier, Thomas Griffith, Esq., Avitli
Elizabeth Mary Boscawen, one of the pre-
sent co-heiresses, it was completely restored,
and considerably enlarged by him, a.d. 1837.
The front however remains in its original
state, having suffered less from the effects of
time.

The Trevors of Trevalyn, with whom this
fine seat and estate have so long remained,
were a family of great antiquity and distinc-
tion, deducing descent from the famed Tudor
Trevor, Lord of Hereford, founder of the
Tribe of the JMarches. In the time of Charles
I., Sir Thomas Trevor, a yoiuiger son of
John Trevor, Esq., of Trevalyn, filled the high
office of Chief Baron of the Exchequer, and
in the following reign, the Right Hon. Sir
John Trevor was one of the principal Secre-
taries of State. Sir John's eldest son, John
Trevor, Esq., of Trevalyn, was father of John
JMorley Trevor, Esq., whose daughter, Ann,
became tlie wife of the Hon. General Bos-
cawen, as already mentioned; and his second
son, Sir Thomas Trevor, Lord Chief Justice
of the Common Pleas, was elevated to the
peerage in 1711, as Baron Trevor,

KNEDLINGTON MANOR, near Howden, in
the East Piding of Yorkshire, the seat of Tiio-
mas Clarke, Esq., a magistrate for the East
and West Kidhigs, and a deputy-lieutenant.
This estate was at one time possessed b}' the
family of the Arlushes, now extinct, and also
by Terrick, Bisliop of London. Subsequently
it passed into the hands of the Clarkes, of
whom the present owner is a lineal descend-
ant, havhig inherited the property from his
great grandfather, AVilliain, the sole heir of
Koger Clarke, Es(p, son of Poger Clarke, of
Ivensall.

The old Hail, erected in the reign of Queen
Elizabeth, yet remains entire. The new
mansion was built in tlie years 1841 and
1842 by Thomas Clarke, Esq., and stands
in well-wooded grounds, commanding a dis-
tant view of Howden and Goole. It is in the
strict Tudor style of architecture, with ogee
gables, bay muUioned Avindows, and stained



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN..



243



glass by Warrington. The walls of the en-
trance-hall, which is lofty and spacious, are
covered with tapestry. Within, is a valuable
collection of paintings, by Etty and other
masters.



BAHON HILL, North Wales, in the county
of Anglesey, near Beaumaris, the seat of Sir
Richard Bulkeley Williams-Bulkeley, Bart.,
M.P. for the county, which is besides
greatly indebted to him for his unwearied
efforts in the introduction of a new and
highly-improved system of agriculture. Be-
fore his time, farming at this place was at a
very low ebb, as compared with those other
parts of the island where the business was
conducted upon system and scientific princi-
ples.

A mansion was erected here in 1618 by
Sir Richard Bulkeley ; but the greater part
of the edifice, as it now appears, was built
by the last Lord Bulkeley from the designs
of Wyatt. It stands upon- a gentle emi-
nence, with an extensive wood in front, and
looks upon a lawn that slopes down to the
]\Ienai, bounded only by the mountain ridge
of Arvon. The prospect from the terrace is
the boast of the Principality, and by many is
considered to be the finest in all Wales.
Most assuredly it would be a matter of some
difficulty to find any spot that goes beyond
it.

The antiquarian zeal of the late Lord
Bulkeley has rescued a valuable relique of
the olden time from a most barbarous state
of neglect, and placed it in these grounds, at
a short distance from the house, under a
monumental recess. This is the stone coffin of
Joan, wife of Llewellyn ap lorwerth, Prince
of North Wales. Originally it had stood in
the neighbouring monaster}' of Llauvaes, but
— probably upon the decline of the Roman
Catholic faith — it at length ceased to be an
object of veneration, and Avas degraded into
a water-trough for cattle, in which state
it remained until 1808, when it Avas disco-
vered and removed by Lord Bulkeley. The
coffin -lid, which is carved, and bears the
effigy of Joan, is remarkable for its elegance.
It is in excellent preservation, although it
had remained for years, perhaps for centu-
ries, in a muddy ditch, with its face down-
wards.

Tradition has been busy with the name of
this princess, who was an Englishwoman,
but whether truly or not is another ques-
tion. Her husband, Llewellyn ap lorwerth,
chanced to take prisoner a Norman knight,
called William de Braos, Avith whom certain
of the Welsh nobles suspected her of having
a criminal intrigue. This, hoAvever, did not
come to the Prhice's ears until some time after
his prisoner had been released ; Avhen it did, he



inveigled De Braos to a banquet in the Ca?-
Gioilym Du, or Black WiUiam's Field, — so
named from the tragical event that folloAved
— and having reproached him Avith his crime,
ordered him to be dragged out of the hall,
and forthAvIth hung. Even this did not
satisfy his thirst for vengeance. He has-
tened after his wife, who Avas then Avalking
in the valley, totally unconscious of AA'hat had
happened, and in the Avords of a Welsh
distich —

"Lovely princess," said LleAvellj'n,
^A^lat A\ill you give to see your G\vilym? "

" AA^ales, and England, and Llewellyn,
I'd give tlieni all to see my Gwilym."

The prince exultingly pointed to the gib-
bet, Avhich AA'as then in sight. How the lady-
endured the prospect, or what reply she
made, the legend does not say. It appears,
hoAvever, that they Avere afterA\'ards recon-
ciled and lived happily together ; the lady
forgetting her lover, and the sovereign his
dishonour.

LATIMEES, Buckinghamshire, formerly
called Isenliampstead, or Iselhampsted, the
seat of the Hon. Charles Compton Ca\'endish,
third son of George Augustus Henry,
first Earl of Burlington. In the year 1324,
King EdAvard HI. granted this manor to Sir
Simon de Bereford, and upon his forfeiture
of it tAA'o years afterAvards for treason, the
monarch bestOAA-ed it on William Latimer,
from Avhose family it derived its present
name, being called Iselhampsted, or Isen-
hampsted Latimer, to distinguish it from the
neighbouring village of Isenhampsted Chey-
nies. From the Latimers it passed to Lord
Willoughby of Eresby, he having married
Elizabeth, dau. of the fourth Lord, and Avidow
of John de NeA-ill, LordNcA-illof Raby, Avhich
lady held Isenhampsted in dower. In 1.388,
John, Lord Neville left it to Sir Ralph
Neville, Knt., his son and lieir; but al-
though the Nevilles long continued to assume
the title of Lord Latimer, yet the manor fell
into the hands of Fulk Greville, their distant
descendant, in the reign of JMary, most pro-
bably upon attainder of one of the Latimers.
By one of the Grevilles it was sold to Sir
Edwyn Sandys ; or, as some have said, he
obtained it in marriage with Elizabeth, a
co-heiress of the family of Bray. About
tAventy years afterwards he disposed of it to
the Cavendish family. Here Avas born the
daughter of Sir Miles Sandys, so celebrated
by Fuller, in his " Worthies," as the parent
stock of seven hundred persons, AA-hom she
lived to see descended from her to the fourth
generation, her OAvn children having been
thirteen in mimber. Yet she lived only to
be eighty-seven. Latimers is still better
knoAvn from being one of the places to Avhich.



244



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



King Clmrles was brought when m tlie
hands of the Parliamentarians, or rather of
the triumphant army.

In 1706, Latimers came into the possession
of Lord James Cavendish, younger son of the
fiist Duke of Devonshire, who married the
daughter of Elihu Yale, Esq., Governor of
Fort St. George, in the East Indies. The
estate descending to Lord George Au-
gustus Henry Cavendish (younger son of
the late Duke of Devonshire), who was in
1831 advanced to the peerage by the
title of Earl of Burlington, it was by him
hoklen till his death, when it passed to his
son, the Hon. Cliarles Compton Cavendish.

BALTHAYOCK, Perthshire, the seat of
James Fergusson Blair, Esq. The date of
the older part of this building is unknown ;
the more recent portion was erected in 1578
by Alexander Blair, of Balthayock. It is a
plain old-fashioned house, with small win-
dows and narrow roof, standing upon a fine
connnanding site iu a country of much natu-
ral beauty.

There is still to be seen here an old square
tower built in with Avails, twenty feet thick,
and a door in the centre without stairs. Ac-
cording to the warfare of the day, it must
have been of remarkable strength, and capa-
ble of resisting any ordinary attacks.



NANTEOS, Cardiganshire, South Wales, the
seat of William Edward Powell, Esq., Lord
Lieutenant, Member of Parliament, and colonel
of militia for the same county. The o^\nier
of this extensive property belongs to a branch
of the line of Edwin ap Grono, Lord of
Tegaingl, fomider of the Xlll. Noble Tribe
of North Wales and Poaa^s.

The mansion of Nanteos was built m 1739,
by Thomas Powell, Esq., M.P., grand uncle of
the present possessor. It is an exceedingly
massive and imposing edifice of the Doric
order, and deeply embosomed in a wood of
the same extent. In the gallery and diiiing-
room are numerous family portraits, besides
some Flemish pictures of very superior merit.
Amongst the former are the portraits of
Cornelius le Brun, Esq., Sir Thomas Powell,
Iviit., the late Dr. Powell, and Colonel Jones.
One of the family of Jones, from whom the
Powells inherit Nanteos, appears to have
been a stanch partisan of Charles I., and as
a natural consequence became " a constant
object of the phanatique hatred." He was
imprisoned, fined, and sequestrated by the
triumphant republicans, and yet with an in-
consistency for which there would seem to
be no adequate cause, he assisted in the year
1647 at the reduction of Aberystwyth, then
garrisoned for the King. An old manuscri];it,
quoted by Meyrick in his History of Cnrdi-



ganshire, attributes this change of politics to
his having received some personal injmy or
affront from the royalists, but for this belief
no voucher of any kind is given.

The grounds about Nanteos and the im-
mediate vicinity present the usual features of
the best Welsh landscapes, being bold, if not
almost rugged, but exceedmgly romantic
and picturesque.

Colonel Powell has also considerable pro-
perty near Tregarron, in Avlilch are stiU to be
found the ruins of the abbey of Strata Florida,
a venerable memorial of the olden tunes.

CAPESTHORNE, Cheshire, a seat of the
Davenports. For several generations this
manor was possessed' by the fomily, which
received their name from it. Sarah, sole
heiress of Randal de Capesthorne, brought it
by marriage, in or about the reign of Edward
III., to John le Ward. On the extinction of
the male line of Ms descendants in John Ward,
Esq., who died in 1748, ^lary, his eldest
daughter, brought the estate to Davics
Davenport, of Woodford, Esq., from whom
descend the Davenports of Woodford and
Capesthorne. The chapel of that name was
built by the John AVard just mentioned, and
by him endowed with the tithes of the town-
ship, since augmented by Queen Aime's
bounty.

The Hall is a large building in the style of
architecture that prevailed during the last
century. It is situated amongst extensive
grounds to the right of the road to Congleton,
on the banks of a large piece of water, formed
by a stream issuing from Reed's ]\Iere, over
Avhich appears the abrupt termuiation of
Cloud Hill.

ANSTY HALL, co. Warwick, the seat of
Henry William Adams, C.B., a Colonel
in the army. The manor, and manor lands
of this parish, called in the Domesday Book



Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 1) → online text (page 54 of 79)