Copyright
Bernard Burke.

A visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 1) online

. (page 9 of 79)
Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 1) → online text (page 9 of 79)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


liad consisted of an ancient keep-tower, and
a long range of buildings at right angles
with it, of a much less antiquated date ;
but in 1813 the whole was remodelled, and
modernised both within and witliout, a Doric
portico being built in front of the main
entrance, so that it now presents tlie ap-
pearance of a plain substantial fabric. The
only thing to remind the spectators of past
times is the crest of the Howards, a lion sta-
tant-guardant ontwo of itsfronts. Theancient
keep lias indeed been incorporated with the
present mansion, but so altered as to corres-
pond with the more recent structure. In
this part is a chamber panelled Avith dark
oak, and hung Avith ancient tapestry, that
still bears the name of the Hmnited Chamber,
though it is no longer visited by its spectral



36



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN,



tenant. The rest of tlie building is hand-
somely fitted np in the modern stylo, and,
besides some fine paintings, contains many
cm'iosities and reliques of liistorical interest.
Amongst these is the grace-cup of the fa-
mous Thomas a Becket, a vessel of ivory,
mounted in silver gilt, and set with precious
stones; a massive gold rosary and cross,
worn by Mary Queen of Scots when brought
to the scaffold. The claymore of Major
Mac Donald, the Fergus Mac Ivor of Sir
Walter Scott. It is a trenchant Toledo blade,
and yet retains the impression of its owner's
hand upon the leather of the basket-hilt.
It may be here observed, too, that an actual
adventure of the real hero has been trans-
ferred by the Scotch romancer to a much
less deserving character. Every reader must
recollect how " that sullen, good-for-nothing-
brute, Balmowhapple," was run away with
by his own charger into the midst of the fly-
ing dragoons, who taking heart of grace,
turned round and celft his skull with their
broadswords. The same accident as regards
the headstrong horse proved fatal to the
major, with this difference only, that it con-
ducted him to the gallows. He had mounted
the steed of an English dragoon, Avho had
been just killed, but no sooner did the
animal hear the sound of his own trumpets
than he dasheil back into the midst of the
regiment to which his former rider had be-
longed. In this dilemma the major tried to
pass himself off for one of the Ayrshire
Militia, concealing his tartans under the
cloak of the defunct dragoon, which he had
made spoil of when he took the horse. This
ruse, however, did not long succeed. He
was recognised by General iluske, who im-
mediately had him secured by a guard of
twenty men, no small compliment to his
strength and daring, but one no doubt with
which he Avould have Avillingly dispensed.

It Avould be tedious to recapitulate all the
portraits in this collection that are intei'est
ing, either from their subjects or from cir-
cumstances connected with them. Yet a brief
stroll amongst these records of the past is
hardly to be omitted. Here then is CharlesV.
of Germany, and his wife Isabella of Por-
tugal, by Titian ; Henry Earl of Surrey, the
celebrated poet;

" A touiig- that sci'v'd in foreign realmcs his king ;
Wliose courteous talkc to vertue did enflaiiic
Eche noble liart ; a -vrorthy guide to bring
Our English youth by travaO unto fame."

John, first Duke of Norfolk ; Thomas, se-
cond Duke of Norfolk, the victor of Floddcn
Field ; the famous Lord William Howard ;
Andrew Doria, styled by the Genoese, "the
father and deliverer of his country ;" King
Charles the Second, at full lengtli, given by
himself to the family at the Restoration, in



acknowledgment of their services in the Civil
wars ; James II. as high admiral ; a lady of
the house of Colonna by j\Iaria de Fieri, in
a frame of box elegantly carved, <5:c. &c.
These are a few only of the treasures to be
found scattered in the library, the gallery,
and the bed-rooms ; but they Avill suffice to
give an idea of the whole, as well as a more
detailed account — ex pede licrcidem.

About the end of the 11th century, the
manor of Corby was granted by Hubert de
Vallibus, the Norman lord of the barony of
Gilsland, to his follower Odard, who there-
upon assumed the name of De Corby. It was
next held by the De Richmonds, and in
1323 it was conveyed by one of that family,
named Roland, to Sir Andrew de liarcla,
Earl and Governor of Carlisle, so celebrated
in chronicle for his defence of that city in
1315 against Robert Bruce, whom he com-
pelled to abandon the siege witli no little
loss, notwithstanding the superiority of his
forces. In 1322, Sir Andrew had the good
fortune at Borough Bridge, in Yorkshire, to
defeat and take prisoner the Earl of Lan-
caster, who had revolted against King Ed-
ward, for which good service he was made
Earl of Carlisle, Lord Warden of the West
Marches, and farther rewarded with a valu-
able estate. Yet either from ambition, or
natural inconstancy, or from some other nn-
explained cause, all these benefits failed of
binding him to the monarch, and in 1323 he
entered into a treasonous correspondence
with Bruce, whom he visited at Lochmaben.
Intelligence of this secret plot being brought
to Edward, the king at once, with a promp-
titiule foreign to his general character, de-
spatched Anthony, Lord Lucy, to seize the
revolter, promising both to him and his
assistants in the enterprise large rewards
in the event of their success. Thus stimu-
lated. Lord Lucy set out upon what was
not unlikely to prove a dangerous adventm-e,
and masking his real designs he presented
himself with his followers at the castle-gates
in friendly guise, as if he had merely come
on a visit to the governor, he left, however,
a few retainers at each gate to secure his re-
treat ; but they excited no suspicion, and were
believed to be, as they pretended, only waiting
for the return of their master. In this way
he was introduced into the presence of the
Earl, whom he found unarmed and engaged
in writing, when he at once charged liim
with having conspired against the kuig, and
called upon him to surrender, a command
which the surprised faitour was in no con-
dition to dispute. Yet even now it was an
equal chance that the attempt had failed, for
the loud tones of Lord Lucy reached the
keeper of the inner gate, who taking the
alarm raised a loud cry of treason. The
next moment he was struck down by Sir



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



37



Richard Denton, Avhile attempting to secure
the gate, the only blood shed in an enter-
prise, which might have proved the deatli of
all concerned in it. Trial and judgment fol-
lowed close upon the capture. The Earl
■was arraigned before the chief justiciary on
a charge of high treason, and having been
degraded from his knighthood was sentenced
to be hung, drawn, and quartered, on hearing
Avhich he calmly said, " You have disposed
of my body at your pleasure, but my soul I
give to God." The .'^ame show of fortitude
accompanied him to the gallows.

Upon the Earl's attainder the manor of
Corby reverted to the Crown, and in 1336
was granted to Sir Kichard de Salkeld, of a
Cumberland family With his descendants
it remained until 1502 when Sir Robert
Salkeld, governor of Carlisle, died in pos-
session of this manor without male issue,
and his five daughters, coheiresses, divided
his property amongst them. The lady, who
received the estate and castle of Corby for
her share, married a member of a younger
branch of the same family, thus continuing
the name of Salkeld for a few generations.

In 1596, Corby was possessed by Thomas
Salkeld, one of "those unlucky adventurers,
Avhose projects succeed in the commence-
ment only to terminate in failure. Some
Border dilferences having arisen, he was
appointed by Lord Scrope the English
■warden of the West Marches to meet the
deputy of Buccleugh the Scottish warden
for their amicable arrangement. According
to the indispensable custom on such occa-
sions, a truce was proclaimed, to last " from
the tjme of meeting till the next day at the
sun rysing," during which space a safe con-
duct was guaranteed to all whose appearance
was requiied there in their own behalf or
as evidence for others. But amongst the
Scotch assembled at the place of meeting, —
"The Dayholme of Kershoup, quhaire a
burne divides England from Scotland, and
Liddisdaill from Bewcastle," — there hap-
pened to be a notoiious border-marauder,
named Kinmont Willie, who had always
been particularly troublesome to his English
neighbours. The chance of gaining such a prize
was too much for " the fause Sakeld's" mora-
lity to resist it. Forth he pricked after AYillie
lAvhen the business of the day was over, and
soon came up with the outlaw, who vras
quietly jogging homewards little dreaming
of such a breach of border honour.



But



m a trice —



" They hae ta'en bauld Kiiunout Willie
On Haribee to hang him up.
They band his legs beneath the steed.

They tied liis hands behind his back,
They guarded him iivcsome on each side,

And they brought liim ower the Liddcl rack.
They led liim throvigh the Liddel rack,



And also thro' the Carlisle sands ;
They brought him to Carlise Castell,
To be at my Lord Scroope's commands."

When tidings of this aiTair reached Buc-
cleuch, he dashed about the tables 'till " the
red wine sprang on high," and fell into a
terrible fit of cursing —

" O were there ivar between the lands,

As well I wot that there is none,
I •\\oidd slight Carlisle CastcU high,

Though it were buildcd of marble stone.
But since nae war 's between the lands,

And there is peace, and peace sliould bo,
I'll neither harm English lad or lass,

And )'et the liinmont freed shall be."

Buccleuch was as good as his word. Un-
der cover of the darkness he surprised the
castle, and though he had only twenty men
with him, so alarmed the garrison, that they
allowed him to march off in safety with their
prisoner. It was now Elizabeth's turn to
be indignant, and as it was not either in the
temper or the interest of king James to
oftend his powerful neighbour, Buccleuch
was persuaded to visit England, and make
what excuses he could to the queen for this
daring violation of an English fortress.
Ti-adition says, that Avhen presented to
Elizabeth, that high-stomached lady de-
manded with her usual peremptoriness,
" How he dared to undertake an enterprise
so desperate and presumptuous ?"

" What is it," answered the chieftam " a
man dares not to do ? " a reply Avhich so
much struck her, that she exclaimed to a
lord in waiting, " with ten thousand such
men our brother of Scotland might shake
the firmest throne in Europe I ''

Another instance of Salkeld's ill luck
with his captures may be w'orth relatiiig.
Towards the end of Elizabeth's reign, he
was appointed sheriff of the county, when an
outlaw named Jock Granne of the Pear Tree,
whose brother was lying in jail for execu-
tion, played him as bad a trick as Buccleuch
had done. The freebooter came ridi]ig past
the gate of Corby Castle, which then fronted
mto the village, when a child of the sheriff
was playing before the door. Giving the
boy an apple, he said, " Master will yon
ride ? " Q'he latter, as was natural at his
years, readily enough consented, and Grteme
taking upon his horse, carried him into Scot-
land ; nor Avould he part with the child ex-
cept in exchange for his condem ned brothe.

In 1610 and 1614, the manor of Corby
was bought by Lord William Howard in moie-
ties £i-om the Salkelds and Blenkinsopps of
two of the before-mentioned coheiresses.
Belted Will, however, as his Lordship was
familiarly called, made this purchase only to
give it to his second son, Sir Francis Howard,
ancestor of the Corby branch of that illus-



38



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



trious family. This Sir Francis was a stanch
adherent of Cliarlcs during the Civil War,
raismg a regiment of four hundred horse for
his service, to support whom he sold two
estates, the one m Durham, the other in
Yorkshire, yielding a rental of three thou-
sand pounds per annum. By his exertions
he contributed materially to the victory of
Atherton Moor, near Leeds, in 1G43, but in
this battle his eldest son was killed, and his
second son, Francis, succeeded him upon
his decease. The latter was made governor
of Carlisle during the reign of James II.

Corby is still vested in the family of the
Howards, the father of the piesent proprie-
tor having been appointed Uigli-riheriff for
the county upon the repeal of the Catholic
disabilities. It was during his lifetime that
Sir Walter Scott visited the castle, on which
occasion he communicated to him the fol-
io wmg lines, facetiously styled the Poetical
Works of David Hume, and which were in-
scribed by the historian with a diamond on
•A window of the Old Bush Inn, Carlisle, when
he was staying in that city : —



" Hero chicks in eggs for breakfast sprawl,
Here godless boys, God's glories b;n\l ;
Here Scotsmen's heads adorn tlie '(vall,
But Corby's walks atone for all."



SHAEPHAM, Devonshire, the seat of \l.
Durant, Esq. The mansion is said to liavc
been commenced about 1770, by Captain
Philemon Po^\^loll from designs by Sir
Robert Taylor, but was completed in 1 824
by his grandson, John Bastard, Esq., a
captain in the royal navy. It is built of
Portland stone, in the Italian style of archi-
tecture, and stands upon the banks of the
Dart, two miles and a half south of Totness.
The situation is one of singular beauty even
for this most beautiful of all the English
counties. Much attention too has been paid
to the gardens and pleasure grounds, which
are kept m excellent order, and planted with
shrubberies and other ornamental timber.

The founder of this mansion, the Captain
Philemon Pownoll above alluded to, was dis-
tinguished highly in the naval service, and it
is probable that the house was built from
his share in the spoils of a rich galleon
which he had the good fortune to capture
from the Spaniards. He was subsequently
killed in Admiral Parkers engagement Avith
the Dutch under Zoutman, oif the Dogger-
l)ank, 1780. The heiress of Captain Pownoll
brought Sharpham in marriage to Edmund
Bastard, Esq., who resided there, and was
the representative for Dartmouth during
many years. He is reputed to have pos-
sessed both taste and judgment in an eminent
degree, an opinion which is certainly borne
out by what he cfiectcd at Sharpham, much



of the beautiful scenery being attributable to
his skill and invention.

To the present proprietor arc owing
the improvements in the roads and
approaches.

SOMERLEYTOH", or Somerliton Hall com-
monly abbreviated into Someiiey, in the
county of Suffolk, the seat of Samuel
Morton Peto, Esq., M.P. It is a beau-
tiful old hall, built in the time of Eli-
zabeth, but much altered in the reign of
James II. by Admiral Sir Thomas AUeyne
of Lowestoffe. Fuller observes of it, that
" it well deserved the name of Summerly,
because it was always summer there, tlie
walks and gardens being planted with per •
petual greens." In the time of the Con-
queror it was possessed by William, Earl of
Warren and Surrey, next by the Osberts,
tlien through the marriage of Isabella Fitz-
osbert with Sir Walter Jernegan, by the
" famous' JCnightly family" of the Jernegans
or Jerninghams, and then by Sir Tliomas
Wentworth, whose eventual heiress Eliza-
beth Wentworth became the wife of Charles
Garneys, Esq., of Kenton and Boyland, aud
conveyed Somerleyton to her husband. By
their grandson, Thomas Garneys, Esq., the
estate was sold, afterwards it came by pur-
cliase to the Sir Thomas Allin already men-
tioned, whose son dying bachelor devised it
to Richard Anguish, Esq., his sister's hus-
band, on condition of his taking the name
and arms of Allin. By him Somei-leyton
was bequeathed to Lord Sydney Godolphin
Osborne, from whom Mr. Peto pui-chascd it
in 184G. Of all the possessors of this estate,
the admiral was perhaps the most remark-
able. He was a zealous royalist, and ob-
taining a command in the king's navy after
the restoration, and had more than one vic-
torious conflict with the Dutch, who hi his
day may be almost said to have divided the
supremacy of the sea with England, for they
almost as often beat as they were beaten.

The hall, erected by the Jernegans temp.
Queen J'Llizabeth, and altered by Admiral
Sir Thomas Allin, in the reign of James II.,
has been nearly rebuilt, in the Anglo-Italian
style by ]\Ir. Peto. The painted windows
are hei-aldically emblazoned with efligies and
arms of the Fitzosberts, Jernegans, Weiit-
worths, AUins, Anguislies, and Osbornes.

DAHESFIELD, Buckinghamshire, the seat of
Charles Robert Scott JMurray, Esq.,jate JM P.
for the county. It is beautifully situated on
a bank that overhangs the riA-er, and is so
called from an ancient entrenchment near
the house in the form of a horse shoe, forti-
tied in its circular part l.iy a double vallum.
Amongst the people it was known as the



SEATS OF GUEAT DRITAIN.



39



Dane's Ditches, an ap]tcllation which sug-
gested to Mr. Scott JNIurray, when hiyhig out
tlie grounds, the more euphonious name of
Danesfield. In spite, however, of the popu-
lar tradition it seems higlily probable tliat
tliis supposed Danish encampment was in
reahty the site and remains of the castle be-
longing to the ancient family of the Bole-
becks. Hearne speaks of the ruins of a
strong building here, which was called Bull-
bank's castle, and which he supposes to have
been part of the original manor of Hugh de
Bolebec, the founder of Woburn Abbey, in
Bedfordshire.

At one time this estate was the property
of John Morton, Esq,, chief justice of Ches-
ter, who is said to have commenced here an
ornamental style of gardening, to which no
equal can be found except in the beautiful
domains of Blenheim. In the year 1786 it
was sold by his widow to Robert Scott, Esq.
The design commenced by him was improved
a,nd finisiied by his nepheAv and heir the late
Charles Scott Murray, Esq., ftither of the
present owner, who is a descendant of the
famous Scottish family of Murray of Philip-
haugh.

LANGLEY PARK. Buckinghamshire, the
seat of Robert Harvey, Esq., about 27^- miles
from Cohibrook. The manor of Langley,
called in old writings Langley Mories or
Morys, came to the Crown in the reign of
Edward I. by reason of the minority of
Ealph Plaiz, cousin and heir of Aveline of
]\Iountfichot, and was by him given to Eton
College. Having reverted to the Crown, by
some exchange as it is supposed, the estate
was granted for life to Henry Norris in 152.3,
and to John Duke of Northumberland in
1564. In 1656, it was granted in fee to Sir
John Keddcrminster, whose only daughter
and heir brouglit it in marriage to Sir John
Parsons of Boveney. The executors of
their son, Sir William Parsons, sold Langley
in 1669 to Henry Seymour, Esq. whose cou-
sin and heir, Sir Edward Seymour, Bart.,
disposed of it in 1714 to Lord Masham, and
of him it was purchased in 1738 by the then
Duke of I\Iarlborough, whose descendant in
1738, again parted with it to Sir Robert
Bateson Harvey, Bart. It is now held by
his successor Robert Harvey, Esq._

The manor-house, which stands in a beau-
tifully wooded park, was originally built by
Sir John Keddcrminster, but soon after the
Duke of Marlborough came into possession,
it was pulled down and entirely rebuilt. The
present mansion is a square stone edifice
with little exterior decoration, but contains
apartments well arranged and of considerable
dimensions. The grounds are laid out with
much taste, exhibiting the same style, only
upon a smaller scale, that has been so much



admired at Blenheim. On the north side of
the Home Park is a large tract of ground
called the Black Park from the dark hue of
its trees. The Duke of Marlborough had
planted it with firs in straight lines, but na-
ture has got rid of this formality by the
multitude of trees self-sown since that period
from the dropping seeds, which have con-
verted the whole into a dense forest, accessi-
ble only by a few rude tracks. In the centre
is a tolerably large lake, but with too pre-
cise a boundary to harmonise with the
wilderness around it.

BLACKWELL HALL, the seat of Robert
Henry Allan, Esq., J.P., F.S.A., High
Sheriff of the county of Durham, 1851, forms
part of the ancient freeliold manor of
Blackwell, a rich territory full of entrancing
nooks and shady dells, from Avhich bright
glances of the sllveiy Tees, with all its
wooded banks and fertile flats ever and
anon present themselves. The seat-house,
" bosomed high in tufted trees," rises over
the river, and commands its green levels and
deep meadows which form an amphitheatre
of 3 or 4 miles hemmed in by rising wooded
grounds. Immediately opposite the mansion
is a remain of Castle llill, once a gallant
mound, but now sorely reduced in its fair
form in consequence of the irruption of tlie
" thundering Tees," which here makes a
singularly sudden and rapid sweep. In the
memory of old men yet living, its ample brow
was decked with the cotter's dwelling and
his sumiy garden, both long fallen into the
dark remorseless stream below. The forma-
tion of a strong embankment, together with
a formidable pier of Barton stone, has, after
repeated foilures of other more rustic engi-
neering appliances, effectually secured this
venerable remain from further demolition.
The estate is collectively styled " Baydales,"
Baydayle being a known archaism for Battle.
Castle Hill is connected in the earliest
records withBathley, Battela, Battle Law or
Battle Ilill, and Battlefield ; but all records
of the origin of these names have disappeared.
Behind an old Tithebarn, the estate is ador-
ned by the wedded trees, an ash and a syca-
more, which spring from one huge trunk.

The manor of Blackwell was purchased by
the Nevilles from a family of iMiddleton, who
represented the Blackwells of Blackwell. It
fell out of their hands at the general confis-
cation after the disastrous rising of the North.
A portion had been sold before that time to
the Parkinsons, one of whom " saved the
Earl m the rebellion time." Other part was
granted to the Garnetts, whose kindred of
the same name were lords of Egglescliffe,
but eventually all was consolidated in Park-
inson. The manor was next purcliased b}^
the Ewbankes of Staindrop, who like other



40



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



cavaliers, deeply sinned for tlie Crown against
their acres.' The subsequent title is of little
interest until John Allan, Esq. who purchased
of George Allan, Esq. M.P., became the
possessor. This gentleman, as additions to
his old patrimonial estates at Barton and
elsewhere, purchased properties, (including
the manor), in Blackwell, to the amount of
iqjwards of £34,000. The manor had by this
time eaten up all its dependant freeholds, no
subowners were left to do suit and service,
tlie manorial customs tacitly expired, and in
" these piping times of peace" tlie military
service is excused to its lords. Not so, how-
ever, an ancient rent of 24s. lOd. to the
prince-bishops, which is still duly and truly
exacted by my Lord of Durham's officers. _

The estate'ling»red in the blood of its
ancient owners. TheEwbankes,the Allans,
and even in the wife of one of the Parkinson
owners, a fair Widdrington, all descended
from the rich blood of the " Nevilles' noble
stock." Few families show such a succession
of literary talents as the Allans. James
Allan, Esq., a laborious collector, Geo. Allan,
Esq. the noted antiquary his son, Geo. Allan,
Esq. M.P. the contributor to Nichols's Lite-
rary Anecdotes, " whose light and elegant
manner adorned wliatever it touched," the
present Sheriff (the friend of Surteesand "the
earliest and most constant promoter of the
genealogical pursuits" of the author's late
lamented father John Burke, _ Esq.) whose
own efforts have not been wanting to increase
in number and value the rarities for the pub-
lication of which the North of England is
deservedly famous, and long before these the
semi-astrologer. Thos. Allan, the confidential
adviser of the well-known Leicester, and a
really excellent mathematician — all these
convey a high idea of the successive and
brilliant attainments of the house of Allan.

Blackwell Hall is rich in pictures and
prints. Robson's chef d'oeuvre in Avater
colours, the celebrated view of Durham
Cathedral, painted for Bishop Van Mildert,
and purchased by the present possessor on
his lordship's death, has found its way from
Auckland Castle to the stately dining-room
(which has dined 200 persons at one time)
built by the late John Allan, Esq., J. P.



Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 1) → online text (page 9 of 79)