for 15,000 children enrolled in public, private and
parochial schools of York, West York, North York and
York Haven boroughs. West Manchester, Springetts-
bury Independent, and Spring Garden townships.
Holy Child, Yorktowne Homes and the Visiting
Nurse Association Nursery schools; industrial nurs-
ing, on a part-time basis, in three plants; assisting
in the York Mental Health Clinic held at the York
Hospital by scheduling patients for interviews. In
epidemics the association has secured graduate
nurses for the Isolation Unit in the West Side Sani-
tarium. During the York Fair they have a first-aid
station on the grounds. An affiliation for experience
in the field of public health nursing is maintained
for students from the York Hospital School of Nurs-
ing, and is an accredited agency for supervised field
experience in public health nursing for university
Thirty-seven years of service have made the visit-
ing nurse in her blue uniform welcome in any home
YOUNG WOMEN'S CLUB OF YORK
The Young Women's Club of York, formed in 1941,
has fifty-seven regular members and one honorary
member, namely: Mrs. Ray P. Sherwood. The Club
hold its evening meeting once monthly at the Vis-
iting Nurse Association. Its purpose is to promote
educational and cultural interests, to further civic
improvement and to engage in philanthropic activi-
ties. The Club supports various phases of the work
of the Visiting Nurse Association, and helped to pur-
chase the furniture for the V. N. A. Nursery School.
THE YORK HOSPITAL
The York Hospital was established in 1879. Dr.
W. S. Roland was first president of the Board of Di-
rectors and William R. Homer served as treasurer
for more than fifty years.
The present modern building was erected in 1929
on a beautiful twenty-acre site, at a cost of $1,000,-
000, which was raised by popular subscription aug-
mented by a legacy from B. C. Pentz.
The building is debt-free and a fund is accumu-
lating which is to be used for an addition as soon as
The hospital is staffed by thirty-five doctors and
an out-patient staff of thirty doctors. There are 105
student nurses in attendance and thirty-six grad-
During 1944, 6,526 patients were admitted to the
hospital, 1,222 babies were born, and 5,076 emer-
gency cases were treated. More than 1,000 meals
are served daily.
The Women's Auxiliary of the York Hospital makes
surgical dressings and assists in the linen depart-
ment. They remember each ward patient with a
small gift at Christmas and Easter, and see that trays
are decorated with appropriate favors on holidays.
Teas are held monthly for the nurses, internes and
hospital staff. The auxiliary purchased 150 new books
for the hospital library within the past year, en-
dowed a graduate scholarship, and gave a Chase
doll to the School of Nursing.
Since 1942, six classes totalling 104 Volunteer
Nurses' Aides have completed their eighty hours of
training and from January, 1942, to September 1,
1945, rendered 32,282 hours of service.
YORK COUNTY TUBERCULOSIS SOCIETY
The York County Tuberculosis Society, with head-
quarters at 134 West Philadelphia Street, is part of
the National Tuberculosis Association founded in
1914. The society conducts a county-wide program
for the discovery and care of tuberculosis cases
through school surveys, local clinics. X-ray service
and sanitarium placement. It cooperates with the
State Department of Health in joint maintenance of
the free tuberculosis dispensary and provides trans-
portation to the clinic and sanitarium for needy
The society carries on a general program of health
education, distributes health literature and posters,
maintains statistical service, and cooperates with
all existing agencies engaged in the promotion of
The work is financed by the annual sale of Christ-
mas Seals and by private contributions.
MATERNAL HEALTH CENTER
The Maternal Health Center, located at 360 South
Queen Street, operates a weekly clinic in the eve-
ning and an afternoon clinic once monthly. A med-
ical advisory board of twelve doctors (nine men and
three women), two nurses and a social worker com-
prise the staff. Established since 1935, the Center
helps women to have healthy babies, aids childless
couples who wish to have children, and gives child-
spacing information to all married couples desiring
it. The Center works with women who come to it di-
rectly or who are referred by pastors, physicians,
hospitals, social agencies, or social workers. It is
supported by voluntary contributions of interested
THE CONVALESCENT HOSPITAL
The Convalescent Hospital, located at Roosevelt
and Linden Avenues, was established in order to af-
ford convalescent care to the entire community. It
is open to all without distinction, and offers its facili-
ties to the members of the medical profession for the
care of their patients.
It is operated by the Daughters of Our Lady of
Mercy. It has a staff of six, and fourteen beds for
WEST SIDE OSTEOPATHIC HOSPITAL, INC.
The West Side Sanitarium was established in 1913,
by Dr. Edmund W. Meisenhelder, Jr., in the double
house on the northeast corner of North Hartley and
The York Hospital.
Lincoln Streets. Beginning with two beds, the hos-
pital soon found it necessary to expand into two
additional houses across the street, and admitted
surgical, obstetrical, and medical patients. By 1914,
the West Side Sanitarium had been recognized by
the American College of Surgeons, and the Amer-
ican Medical Association, and has been operating
in accordance with their regulations, and with their
approval as a Class A hospital since that time.
Temporarily closed during World War I, the West
Side Sanitarium was reopened in 1919 at its present
site, 1253 West Market Street, near the York Fair
Grounds in a brick building, formerly a hotel.
An addition to this brick structure was made in
1924 in order to expand the X-ray department, and
to provide a sun porch and additional rooms. Its
capacity was increased to thirty-five private rooms.
In 1931, Doctor Meisenhelder opened a fireproof
annex behind the Nurses' Home, which is connected
with the original brick building by an underground
passage. This completely modern annex is furnished
with metal furniture, and the walls and floors are
decorated in pleasant, soft colors. Each room has a
picture, a plant, an easy chair, a writing desk, and
outlets for radio and telephone. At this same time,
the Harbold property at 1259 West Market Street
was bought and converted into two apartments for
In 1945, Doctor Meisenhelder sold the institution,
which became the West Side Osteopathic Hospital,
Inc. The hospital offers fifty beds, ten bassinets, and
a small isolation wing for the use of the community.
YORK WELFARE FEDERATION. INC.
During the first World War many communities
learned that a single fund-raising campaign for all
community welfare agencies was much more effec-
tive than a number of scattered solicitations.
Under the old system, there was much duplication
of effort; citizens were constantly being annoyed by
solicitors, and collection costs amounted to as much
as 15% of the total funds raised.
In 1921, the York Welfare Federation was founded.
The Federation is governed by a council of dele-
gates composed of two delegates from the thirty-
eight local and public organizations which council
in turn elects an Executive Committee or Board of
Directors of twenty-one, ten of which represent labor.
Labor has always participated whole-heartedly in
the campaigns and the standard deduction of 2 of
1% of payroll is the accepted practice in nearly all
At present, the following groups participate: Boy
Scouts, Catholic Charities, Community Distribution
Center, Crippled Children's Clinic, Crispus Attucks
Association, Family Service Bureau, Girl Scouts, Jew-
ish Community Center, Salvation Army, Social Ser-
vice Exchange, York County Blind Center, Y. M.
C. A., Y. W. C. A., the local U. S. O., and the Public
Charities of Pennsylvania.
In 1921, $73,679 were raised. The goals gradually
increased with the peak of $204,295, in 1932, when
victims of the depression were in real need of public
The Welfare Building.
The West Side Osteopathic Hospital. Inc.
assistance. Thereafter, the amounts ranged from
$138,000 to $170,000.
In 1943, the Federation formed the York County
War & Welfare Fund which raises all the money for
both local Welfare and National War Relief pur-
poses. $239,577 was subscribed for the year 1943,
$360,000 for 1944, and $328,000 for the year 1945.
A unique feature is the operation, under direction
of a special committee, of a central Distribution Cen-
ter which issues shoes and clothing upon order of
the several relief agencies.
The Federation owns two properties. The Welfare
Building houses the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Family
Service Bureau and Social Service Exchange. The
cost of the building is being amortized by the rents
these agencies would pay for commercial space. The
Crispus Attucks Association Center is a church build-
ing which has been remodeled to fit the program of
negro citizens. It has been pronounced the finest in
the eastern part of the United States.
The Chamber of Commerce houses the Federation
without expense. Its Secretary serves as Director on
a part-time basis. This arrangement provides ade-
quate offices and meeting-rooms and also divides
the usual overhead of such an organization by four.
$6,500 is the average cost of operation, including
campaign expenses. Comparable community chests
in other cities have overhead budgets of $20,000 to
SOCIAL SERVICE EXCHANGE
The purpose of the Social Service Exchange is to
provide a central index of all families or individuals
known to the social agencies of the community. This
serves as a clearing-house for the accredited social
welfare organizations and agencies working with
families and individuals who require information re-
lating to relief, health and constructive counseling.
Clearing the names before helping the persons
applying, opens the way for securing a coordi-
nation of services between the agencies. It con-
serves time and funds of agencies and protects the
The way is cleared for the worker either to make
her own plan of treatment, transfer to any agency
already handling the case, or share a plan to the
best advantage of the client or patient as the case
The Social Service Exchange in York is a partici-
pating agency of the York Welfare Federation.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA
YORK-ADAMS AREA COUNCIL
The Boy Scouts of America, York-Adams Area
Council, has its headquarters in the Welfare Build-
ing at 309 East Market Street, but its seven admin-
istrative districts include York, Hanover, Gettysburg,
Red Lion, Dillsburg, and Mount Wolf. In this area on
January 1, 1945, there were 116 Cub Packs and Scout
Troops with a membership of 2,773 boys and 979
men, making a grand total of 3,752.
Boys of 9, 10 and 11, form Cub Packs; boys of 12
to 15, Scout Troops; and those of 15 to 18 are eligible
for the senior activities of Explorer Scouts, Sea Scouts
and Air Scouts.
days were enjoyed by York-Adams Area scouts in
1944. Camp Ganoga, ten miles north of York on
Route 111, embraces eighty-nine acres, half of which
are woodland. The large mess hall, administrative
building, officers' quarters, stone-and-log lodge and
sleeping cabins are available for scout camping the
Scouts have been active in every type of war ser-
vice. One million two hundred and forty pounds of
waste paper were collected in 1944, besides many
other salvaged materials. Reforestation, victory gar-
dening and harvesting of crops were some of the
other services rendered. During Scout Week, through
the cooperation of local merchants, window displays
of Scout work are arranged in downtown stores.
GIRL SCOUTS OF YORK AREA, INC.
The Girl Scouts of York Area, Inc., have their head-
quarters in the Welfare Building at 309 East Market
Street. There are 10 Brownie Troops, 30 Intermediate
Troops and 6 Senior Troops in the York Area. Total
membesrhip for 1944 was 1,267.
Girls from 7 to 10 form Brownie Troops; girls from
10 to 14, Intermediate Troops; and Senior Scouts are
from 14 years of age up.
During 1944, Girl Scouts in the York Area gave
12,599 hours of service to various agencies. They
made scrap books, cookies and favors for the U. S. O.;
packed boxes for Russian War Relief; helped with
the Visiting Nurse Association Spring Drive; ran
the Girl Scout Nursery at the York Fair; distributed
WAC recruiting posters; filled over 20,000 envelopes
Boy Scoufs canoeing at Camp Ganoga.
Girl Scoufs of the York Area enjoy outdoor cooking.
for the Tuberculosis Society's Christmas Seal Cam-
paign; made numerous articles for the Red Cross,
and tray favors for hospitals; participated in the
March of Dimes; acted as playground aides and sold
$82,299 worth of War Bonds.
Camping is available for Brownies, Intermediates
and Seniors. A Day Camp within commuting dis-
tance of the city is held at Winding Trail Camp in
Haines Woods. The cabin here is also available for
troop camping the year round. During six weeks in
the summer, Camp Susquehannock, located on an
island in the Susquehanna River opposite Goldsboro,
Pennsylvania, is open for Girl Scouts of this area.
During Girl Scout Week, attractive window dis-
plays relative to scouting are arranged in downtown
store windows, through the cooperation of local
Girl Scouts of York Area, Inc., receives its financial
support from the York Welfare Federation of which
it is a member.
YOUNG WOMEN'S CHRISTIAN
ASSOCIATION OF YORK
The York Y. W. C. A., located at 120 East Market
Street, is a character building organization, non-
sectarian and inter-racial in character, with an
extensive all-year-round educational, recreational
and inspirational program. The program is flexible
and geared to meet the changing needs of women
and girls today.
The Y. W. C. A. functions through classes, clubs,
lectures, discussion groups and personal service
working either with individuals or groups of girls.
Public affairs, lectures and adult education classes
offer new interests and help women keep abreast of
the times. It has Clubs for Younger Girls in Junior
High and Senior High Schools, a streamlined War
Service program for Business and Industrial girls
and an all-year-round Health Education Department,
with classes in swimming, sports and recreation.
Free instruction in swimming and free plunges are
a part of the Department's services to the commu-
nity. The Y. W. C. A. operates a summer camp of
fifty-three acres at Camp Cann-Ed-Ion, with accom-
modations for one hundred girls, including a limited
number of free scholarships. It also has facilities for
a limited number of resident girls at 120 East Mar-
. W. C. A. campers enjoy archery at Cann-Ed-Ion.
ket Street, and offers its building for community
The Y. W. C. A. Cafeteria, at 127 East Market
Street, serves the community two meals a day, six
days a week.
The Y. W. C. A. is financed by dues, Welfare Fed-
eration contributions, gifts, income from classes and
Affiliations: The Young Women's Christian Asso-
ciations of United States of America, The World's
Council of Young Women's Christian Associations,
and the York Welfare Federation.
YOUNG MEN'S CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION
On June 6, 1844, George Williams, of London,
called together eleven of his associates in the drap-
ery trade and formed the Young Men's Christian
Association. By the early 1850's this movement
reached York in connection with various churches.
However, the present organization, which has been
serving the community for three-quarters of a cen-
tury, began in 1869.
Engine-houses of the fire companies served as the
first meeting-rooms and "apartments were secured
in Ebert's Building" for a reading room and library.
At the end of the first year the membership was 198.
Open car meetings "on the streets at four places in
York on Sunday afternoons" were features of the
early program. "The suppression of intemperance
and Sabbath breaking enlisted the attention of the
The first home owned by the association was the
William Hay property at 122, now 142, West Market
Street, purchased in 1884 for $12,000. Provisions for
an auditorium and gymnasium were made late that
same year and a swimming pool was added in 1898.
Later, an adjoining building was also purchased.
On November 21, 1922, the board voted for a cam-
paign to secure $525,000 for a new Y. M. C. A. build-
ing. The sum of $592,619 was secured, a record
amount for a city the size of York.
The Ladies' Auxiliary, formed in 1884, has contrib-
uted more than $100,000 to the association during its
sixty years of service. The auxiliary gave more than
$50,000 toward the new building and pledged an
The new building, erected at the corner of Phila-
delphia and Newberry Streets at a cost of $856,000,
was dedicated September 26, 1926. At the seventy-
sixth annual meeting held in the spring of 1945, the
mortgage was burned. The York Y. M. C. A. is now
entirely free of debt, and a fund is accumulating
for a complete reconditioning of the building after
One hundred and fifty-eight dormitory rooms were
provided in the plans. During the past six years
every room has been taken and a number of club
rooms and classrooms have also been converted into
sleeping accommodations. A modern cafeteria, open
to the public, serves meals daily.
The new building provides splendid facilities for
the physical department under the leadership of
C. C. Bleeker, who began his work in York in 1921.
The Y. M. C. A. has sought to supplement but not
to supplant the work of the church. Today, many
Christian Endeavor and church groups meet in the
building. The Christian Recreation Leaders' Associa-
tion, which was organized in 1936, trains leaders for
churches and young people's societies of the city
and county. At monthly meetings, leaders become
familiar with active and quiet games, banquet man-
agement, decorations, table games, "ice-breakers,"
song-leading and devotional exercises. At present,
there are seventy-five active members representing
twenty-eight different churches.
Back in 1901, the Y. M. C. A. Concert Choir was
organized. Today, as in the past, it is training lead-
ers for church choirs, giving concerts and serving
whenever called upon. Professor Urban H. Hershey
has been director for thirty-five years.
As early as 1891, the association gave special con-
sideration to work with boys. The first full-time boys'
secretary was Ray F. Zaner, later local scout exec-
The Young Men's Christian Association.
utive. Raymond Oberdick, who began his work Sep-
tember 1, 1923, is the present boys' work director.
The earliest known Y. M. C. A. camp was con-
ducted at the mouth of the Codorus Creek in 1902.
Ernest H. Polack and Raymond H. Oberdick were
in charge fo the selection, financing and develop-
ment of the Y's present beautiful camp site on the
Susquehanna River, near the Holtwood Power Dam.
Camp Minqua, which accommodates 120 boys, is
filled to capacity each season. A total of about 350
boys attend annually.
At present, 852 members of the York Y. M. C. A.
are in the armed forces and the program is geared
to today's needs. All men in uniform are granted
full membership privileges without cost, and the
Y. M. C. A. cooperates actively with the U. S. O. and
other agencies related to the war effort. Honorably
discharged servicemen receive six months' free mem-
bership. The dormitories are filled to capacity with
war workers and members of the armed forces our
own and our Allies stationed in York.
CRISPUS ATTUCKS ASSOCIATION CENTER
Crispus Attucks, a colored citizen of Boston, was
one of the first men killed in the American v Revolu-
tion. On March 5, 1770, on a snowy night, a few
citizens taunted a British sentry. The British troops,
hastily called out, fired into the crowd wounding
eight and killing four, one of whom was Crispus
Attucks. This incident is known in history as the
Boston Massacre, and was the first bloodshed of the
The name of this patriot was adopted as the name
of the Center at its organization in 1931. For a time
the Center occupied the old Nurses' Home located
at 230 West College Avenue. After this building was
Swimming docJt at the Y. M. C. A.'s Camp Minqua on (he
destroyed by fire, the York Welfare Federation pur-
chased and renovated St. Luke's Church, a substan-
tial brick building located at 125 East Maple Street,
to accommodate the Center's expanding program.
The new Crispus Attucks Association Center was
officialy opened and dedicated August 20, 1944.
The Center is staffed by a group of college-trained
The building was planned, in conjunction with the
staff, by a member of the National Recreation Asso-
ciation. In the basement is a large banquet room
with kitchen, canteen, and club rooms, heating plant
and two storage rooms. On the first floor are offices
for the Executive Director, the clerk, and the Super-
visor of Women and Girls, library and reading room,
and recreation rooms for men, women, and boys.
The Crispus Attucks Association Center.
The second floor has a gymnasium and stage, a scout
room, office for Supervisor of Boys and Men, and
a small storage room. The entire building is fully and
modernly equipped with furnishings valued at more
than ten thousand dollars. The splendid condition in
which the building is kept testifies to the care and
pride taken in it by the members.
Through the program of the Center, recreational,
cultural, welfare, social, religious, and civic activities
are carried on. Classes in cooking, home-making,
food conservation and rationing attract the women.
Courses in handicrafts and the fine arts, knitting,
sewing, quilting, carving, modeling, and model-
plane building are also offered. Public and personal
health is taught and dramatics and music are
stressed. Scouting for both boys and girls, as well as
boys' and girls' clubs, serve to develop special inter-
ests. A program for pre-school children is conducted
four afternoons a week by a paid supervisor.
Sports and physical activities include basketball,
volleyball, boxing, badminton, archery, shuffleboard,
wrestling, calisthenics, tennis, ping-pong, pool and
table games. Through contests and leagues, interest
is kept high and a number of championship teams
have been turned out. The first representative bas-
ketball team won the regular season's championship
in the City- Wide League in York, 1945, and added
the play-off laurels. Crispus Attucks, one of the finest
centers of its kind in the country, has demonstrated
through the splendid work it is doing that its char-
acter-building program merits the support of the
JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTER
The Jewish Community Center, located at 36 South
Queen Street, contains assembly rooms, classrooms,
workshop and craft room, game room, clubrooms
and kitchen. A lecture program, "Education for Bet-
ter Living," and a series of four addresses by out-
standing visiting speakers is conducted each year.
An Adult Forum is also well attended. Both local
and transient relief is dispensed through the Center
by the Jewish Organized Charities.
The youth activities at the Center are open to
children of all denominations. Boy and Girl Scouts
meet here and Youth Forums are conducted. A Day
Loading the ambulance belonging to the York County Chapter
ol the American Red Cross with supplies lor the Blood Bank.
Camp for children of from five to twelve is held here
during the summer and the facilities of the craft shop
AMERICAN RED CROSS YORK
"To furnish volunteer aid to the sick and wounded
of armies in time of war: To act as a medium of com-
munication between the people of the United States
of America and their Army and Navy: To carry on
a system of national and international relief in suf-
fering caused by famine, fire, floods, and other great
national calamities," constitutes a partial statement
of the aims of the American Red Cross.
The York Chapter requires two buildings for its
many activities; the Administration Building at 38