Copyright
Boston Biographical review publishing company.

Biographical review, containing life sketches of leading citizens of Norfolk County, Massachusetts online

. (page 68 of 84)
Online LibraryBoston Biographical review publishing companyBiographical review, containing life sketches of leading citizens of Norfolk County, Massachusetts → online text (page 68 of 84)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


was Orisy Villa, the daughter of Orman and
Mary Crocker, of Galesburg, 111. By her he
had one son, Benjamin, born January 6, 1880.
His second marriage was to Miss Julia Etta
Tryon, daughter of Robert Tryon, of Bedford,
Ohio. They have had six children, five of
whom are now living — Bertha Evangeline,
Goldwin Whittier (deceased), Raymond
Marker, Gladwin Murl, Carol Plimpton, and
George Washington. Mr. Nead is a member
of the George K. Bird Post of the G. A. R.,



and has been chaplain of the post a number of
years. He is also a member of the Business
Men's Association of Norwood. He is an
easy yet impressive speaker, evangelistic as
well as scholarly in the presentation of gospel
teaching. He is also of a social nature, and
thoroughly enjoys his pastoral work, is popular
with the people of the town, and is much
sought after to attend weddings, funerals,
memorial occasions, and so forth. A goodly
degree of success has thus far attended his
faithful ministry in each of his fields of labor.
At present he is vice-president of the Boston
Baptist Ministers' Conference which meets
in Chipman Hall, Tremont Temple, each
Monday morning.



IRA BARROWS CUSHING* M.D., a
well-known physician residing in Brook-
line, was born in Providence, Bureau
County, 111., November 12, 1846, son of
Caleb and Malinda Peck (Barrows) Cushing.
The father, who was born in Massachusetts in
1793, removed in 1836 to Illinois, where he
became a farmer on an extensive scale. He
died in 1876. The mother, bom in Paw-
tucket, R.I., in 1806, died in 1870. A
daughter of William Barrows, she was a sister
of Dr. Ira Barrows, of Providence, R.I., and
Dr. George Barrows, of Taunton, Mass. , both
distinguished medical practitioners and pio-
neers in the school of homoeopathy. She was
united with the Congregational Church of
Providence, 111., in which two of her sons are
Deacons; and a grandson of hers is a minister.
The Doctor is one of a family of nine chil-
dren, of whom his own mother, the second
wife of his father, bore seven. Five of the
children are still living, and all are in the
West.

Ira Barrows Cushing attended the common
schools of his native town until sixteen years
of age. In 1864 he enlisted in the One
Hundred and Forty-sixth Illinois Volunteer
Infantry for three years, and was mustered out
at the close of the war in 1865. Subse-
quently he spent about two years in the Eng-
lish High School at Princeton, 111. In 1869
he came to Taunton, where he began the study
of medicine in the office of his uncle. As



5 86



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



has been stated, Dr. Barrows was a skilful
exponent of the principles of homoeopathy.
In the fall of 1869, through his influence, his
nephew entered the Hahnemann Medical Col-
lege at Philadelphia. Having a liking for
chemistry, he took a special course in that
subject with Professor Barker, of Yale Uni-
versity, and subsequently, in 1872, during
the vacation of the medical school, a full
course. In the winter of 1871-72 he was a
student at the New York Homoeopathic Col-
lege, and in the spring was graduated from
that institution with the degree of Doctor of
Medicine. After this he returned to Taunton,
and during the summer of that year was en-
gaged in practice with his uncle. In the fol-
lowing winter and spring he took a post-gradu-
ate course in the New York Ophthalmic
Hospital and College, graduating in 1873.
He then returned to Taunton, and resumed
his practice there, making a specialty of treat-
ing diseases of the eye and ear. In the spring
of 1875 he removed to Brookline, becoming
the successor of Dr. Warren Sandford, who
had succeeded Dr. Wilde, the first physician
to practise homoeopathy in this vicinity.
During the three years preceding that of
1875 Dr. Cushing had served as assistant
surgeon to the Third Regiment of Militia,
having been appointed in 1872 by Governor
Washburn, and being the first of the new
school called to the service of the State. The
Doctor is the inventor of the well-known
"Cushing Process" for purifying and refin-
ing distilled liquors. This process consists
of forcing through the liquors heated atmos-
pheric air, previously freed from living germs
by Professor Tyndall's method, thus thor-
oughly oxidizing the fusel-oil and eliminating
the poisons. This discovery, which was made
known to science in 1882, was the result of
Dr. Cushing's investigations, begun some
years before, upon the effect of air upon spir-
ituous liquors. He has been examining sur-
geon for several benevolent organizations, and
he has reached a position of eminence in his
profession that has caused his services to be
sought from far and near. He is a member
of the Massachusetts Homoeopathic Society,
of the Boston Medical Society, and of the
Gynaecological Society. In Masonry he is a



Master and a charter member of the lodge of
Brookline. He also belongs to the Royal
Arcanum ; and he is a comrade of the Brook-
line Grand Army Post, No. 143.

On October 27, 1874, Dr. Cushing was
united in marriage with Miss H. Elizabeth
Alden, of Bridgewater, Conn., daughter of
Elijah and Harriet (Bassett) Alden. Mrs.
Cushing's family has been known and honored
in Bridgewater for many years. She is a
direct descendant of John Alden, who came
from England in the " Mayflower," and landed
at Plymouth. The male line of descent comes
through Joseph, John, Joseph, and Ebenezer
Alden, the last-named being Mrs. Cushing's
grandfather. Elijah Alden, who was born
January 17, 1800, died at the age of seventy-
nine years. He was a skilled workman in
iron, his particular craft being the manufact-
ure of hand-made augers from pig-iron. His
wife, Harriet, a native of Bridgewater, be-
longed to an old and influential family. One
of a family of eight children, six of whom are
still living, she also had eight children, and
died at the age of seventy-one. Both she and
Elijah were Baptists, and the latter was a
Deacon in the society. Mrs. Cushing is a
lady of refinement, and in every way a fitting
helpmeet for her husband. She is the presi-
dent of the Ladies' Sewing Society, an aux-
iliary organization connected with the Baptist
church ; and both she and Dr. Cushing are
members of the Baptist church. They have
three children, namely: Ira M., born August
26, 1875; Maude E., born December 27,
1877; and Arthur A., born January 17, 1881.



§OSEPH W. WATTLES, a manufact
urer of Canton, was born in Chaplin,
Conn., in 1824, son of Andrew and
Margery (Sterry) Wattles. Andrew
Wattles Was a native of Lebanon, Conn.,
where he spent the most of his life. He was
a hatter by trade, which he carried on in the
different towns. In politics he was a Demo-
crat, and he was quite a prominent man in his
day. Lie married Margery D. Sterry, of Nor-
wich, Conn. ; and they had eleven children.
Of these three are living, namely: Joseph
W., the subject of this sketch; Benjamin, who



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



587



went to California in 1S49; and Thomas B.,
now of New Hampshire. Andrew Wattles
died in Canton, at the home of his son Joseph,
after reaching the age of seventy-one years.

Joseph W. Wattles, the subject of this
sketch, was educated in the common schools
of his native town. When fifteen years of
age he obtained employment in the cotton-
mills at Norwich, Conn., where he remained
for a period of six years. In 1846 he came to
Canton, Mass., where he was employed in the
Neponset Cotton Mill as foreman for thirty
years. In 1870 he started manufacturing cot-
ton goods at Neponset Cotton Factory, which
he sold out after ten years. He was then
connected with the cotton-mills of Pembroke,
N. H., for a number of years, and with the
mills at Newburyport, Mass., for three years.
He then returned to Canton, Mass. In poli-
tics he is a Republican, and he was a Select-
man for three years.

Mr. Wattles married Fannie D. Marden, of
Newburyport. They had a family of four
children, namely: Ella F. , now deceased;
Arthur S., of Canton; Joseph W., Jr.; and
Margery S. Margery is the wife of Dr. Por-
ter. The family attend the Unitarian church.




RTHUR WALLACE POPE, a promi-
nent resident of Needham and senior
member of the well-known firm of
A. W. Pope & Co., High Street,
Boston, was born in Brookline, March 9,
1850. He is the third son of the late Charles
and Elizabeth (Bogman) Pope. Charles Pope
was born in Dorchester in 18 14, was a mer-
chant in Boston, though retired from active
business pursuits for some years before his
death in 188S. Mrs. Pope was daughter of
Captain James Bogman, and was born in Bos-
ton. She died in 1885. They were the
parents of eight children — four sons and four
daughters. Their oldest living son is Colonel
Albert A. Pope, president of the Pope Manu-
facturing Company. Two of their daughters
were physicians, though now retired from
practice. Arthur was educated in the public
schools of Brookline. While in his teens, he
became a clerk in the store of his brother,
who was then in the wholesale shoe-findin<r



business on Pearl Street. In 1S72 he was
admitted as junior partner of the firm, the
style being changed to Albert A. Pope &
Co. Six years later the senior partner re-
tired, in order to devote his whole attention to
the Pope Manufacturing Company. For sev-
eral years the business was carried on by the
junior partners, later by A. W. Pope, under
the firm name of A. W. Pope & Co. The
house is now located at No. 45 High Street,
and does a large wholesale business in shoe
manufacturers' goods and leather. Mr. Pope
is vice-president of the Lincoln National Bank
in Boston, treasurer of the J. Alston Newhall
Company, wholesale leather dealers, and treas-
urer of the Shawmut Manufacturing Company
of Boston. He is also trustee of a large estate
in Boston, director in several trust companies
in New York City, and director in three large
mercantile companies, of one of which he is
president. He is a member of the Boston
Merchants' Association, also of the Algon-
quin and of the Commodore Clubs. He is
a thirty-second degree Mason, and belongs to
Lucias Lodge of Boston. In politics he is
independent.

Mr. Pope was married in 1892 to Miss
Lilla M. Whittredge, daughter of Mr. Myron
Whittredge, of Lynn. They have two chil-
dren. Their summer home is in Needham,
close to the Wellesley town line, on the estate
known as the Ridge Hill Farms.




UGUSTINE SHURTLEFF, M.D., a
retired physician of Brookline, Mass.,
residing on High Street, was born
August 24, 1826, on Pemberton
Hill, Boston, a son of Dr. Samuel A. Shurt-
leff. He is closely connected with many of
the prominent families of early Colonial days
in Massachusetts. Among his ancestors were
eight of the passengers by the "Mayflower " in
1620; others by the "Fortune," which arrived
in 1621 ; and still others by the "Ann,"
which came in 1623. Through his grand-
mother Shurtleff, whose maiden name was
Abigail Atwood, he traces his lineage to
Richard Warren, who was born in Devonshire,
England, son of Christopher and Alice
(Webb) Warren.



5 38



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



Richard Warren came to Plymouth in the
"Mayflower" in 1620, and his wife Elizabeth
came in 1623 in the " Ann." They had five
daughters, one of whom, Mary, married Robert
Bartlett; their daughter, Mary Bartlett, mar-
ried Jonathan Morey ; their daughter, Mary
Morey, married Nathaniel Atwood ; their son,
Nathaniel Atwood, Jr., married Abigail
Shaw; their daughter Abigail (see above)
married Benjamin Shurtleff, Jr. ; their son,
Samuel Atwood Shurtleff, married Eliza
Carleton ; and their son Augustine is the sub-
ject of this sketch.

Francis Cooke came in the "Mayflower."
His wife Hester came in the "Ann." He was
born in the parish of Blythe, 1577, in the
nineteenth year of the reign of Queen Eliza-
beth, and is the oldest authenticated ancestor
of Augustine Shurtleff. Jacob Cooke, the
son of Francis and Hester, married Damaris
Hopkins in 1646. She was the daughter of
Stephen Hopkins and his wife Elizabeth, and
parents and daughter came over in the " May-
flower." Martha Cooke, daughter of Jacob
and Damaris, married Elkanah Cushman, who
was the son of Elder Thomas Cushman and
his wife Mary Allerton, daughter of Isaac
Allerton. Mary Allerton came over with her
parents in the "Mayflower." She lived till
1699, and died at the age of ninety, being the
last survivor of the passengers by the "May-
flower. "

Robert Cushman, the father of Elder
Thomas Cushman, came over in the " Fort-
une " in 1621, but returned to England, and
died there in 1626. He preached the first
printed sermon in New England. William
Shurtleff, the progenitor of all of the name in
America, came from Sheffield, in England, in
1634. The name was originally spelled Shier-
cliffe, and is spelled both ways to-day in
Sheffield. He married October 18, 1655,
Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Lettice.
William, as did his son Abiel after him,
became a considerable owner of real estate in
Plymouth, where they each in turn built a
number of houses. William was killed by
lightning, which struck the house where he
was visiting in Marshfield, June 23, 1666.
His son William, who was sitting on his
father's knee, escaped unhurt, living to be the



ancestor of many descendants. Abiel, his
younger brother, the great-great-grandfather
of Augustine, was born in June, shortly after
his father's death. He dwelt in Plymouth,
where he married January 14, 1695-96,
Lydia Barnes, and was the father of seven sons
and three daughters. He was a Selectman of
Plymouth, and held other offices. He spent
the last years of his life in that portion of
Plympton now Carver, and died there October
28, 1732, aged sixty-seven. Lydia, his wife,
died September io, 1727, aged fifty-three.
Benjamin, son of Abiel, was bom April 17,
1710. He married March 25, 1745, Susanna
Cushman, daughter of Lieutenant Josiah Cush-
man, and grand - daughter of Elkanah (see
above). He was largely interested in iron
works, being part owner of the old Charlotte
Furnace in Sampson's Pond in Plympton, of
which he was clerk and treasurer. He
lived on the old estate, which he inherited
from his father Abiel, and which he largely
added to from time to time, and which, with
its three hundred acres, now belongs to his
great-grandson Augustine, the subject of this
sketch. Benjamin died November 23, 1788.
His son Benjamin, grandfather of Augustine,
was born October 14, 1748. He was a farmer
by occupation on the old place, which he in-
herited from his father, adding in his turn
fields and meadows; and, with the exception
of the time passed by him in militia service
at the siege of Boston under Washington, he
lived there all his life, dying July 8, 182 1.
Benjamin married June 7, 1773, Abigail At-
wood (see before). She was born October 7,
1755, and died November 29, 1826.

Benjamin's son, Samuel Atwood Shurtleff,
was born and bred in Carver on the old place,
but in early manhood went to Boston to
study medicine with his elder brother, Dr.
Benjamin Shurtleff. In 1815 he began the
practice of his profession in that city, remain-
ing there until 1S38, when he removed to
Brookline, where he lived until his death in
1 87 1, aged nearly eighty-one years. He was
a successful physician, having enjoyed a large
and remunerative practice while in Boston,
which at the date of his removal had a popu-
lation of about eighty thousand. He married
Eliza Carleton, who was born in Haverhill,



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



S89



Mass., in 1800. Her father, Jonathan Carle-
ton, removed to Boston in 18 12, and was
thereafter engaged as an importer of sugar and
molasses and an exporter of hats and boots
until his death in 1832. He was one of the
original proprietors of Central Wharf, and
built one of the fifty-four stores, No. 5, in
1816, which still remains in the possession of
Augustine and his two sisters. Eight chil-
dren were born to Dr. Samuel A. and Eliza
Shurtleff, and, of these, four grew to mature
years, and three are now living, namely:
Augustine, the subject of this sketch; Helen,
wife of Dr. T. E. Francis, the oldest active
practitioner of Brookline; and Isabella, wife
of David H. Coolidge, of Boston, a member of
the Suffolk Bar. One son, Carleton Atwood,
a graduate of Harvard College, served in the
regular army as medical cadet in the late
Rebellion, and died from disease contracted at
the siege of Vicksburg in 1864, aged twenty-
four years. The mother died in 1878. Both
she and her husband were at one time con-
nected with the Baptist church in Boston of
which Dr. Baldwin was the pastor, but were
afterward members of the Swedenborgian
church, which stood in Phillips Place, oppo-
site King's Chapel on Tremont Street. The
father was for a while assistant surgeon of the
State militia, and was at one time vice-presi-
dent of the State Horticultural Society, in
which he always felt a deep interest. His
house was opposite the head of Hanover Street,
on what is now called Scollay Square, then
known as Pemberton Hill; and his garden,
filled with fruit-trees and grape-vines, ex-
tended up to where the new court-house stands
on Pemberton Square.

Jonathan Carleton, the maternal grandfather
of Augustine Shurtleff, was a son of Elijah
and Rebekah (Webster) Carleton. He traced
his lineage to Edward Carleton, Esq. (from
the Carletons of Chertsey, Surrey, England),
who came over and settled in Rowley, Mass.,
in 1638, and was appointed Judge in 1647.
He returned to England some time earlier
than 1656. His wife was Eleanor, daughter
of Sir Thomas Denton. They had two sons
and two daughters. John, the elder son, "Lieu-
tenant Carleton," was born in England in
1630, and died in Massachusetts, 1668. He



moved from Rowley to Haverhill, where he
was Selectman and Town Clerk. He married
Hannah, daughter of Joseph Jewett, Esq., of
Rowley. They had four sons. Edward, the
third son, was born in Haverhill, March 22,
1664. He married Elizabeth Kimball, and
had seven sons and four daughters. He was
killed by an Indian in 171 1. Ebenezer, sixth
son of Edward and Elizabeth, was born in
1705 or 1706. He moved to Methuen and mar-
ried Elizabeth Saunders. He died in 1761.
Elijah, son of Ebenezer and Elizabeth, was
born October 20, 1746, and died June 14,
1 8 16. He married Rebekah Webster, July
31, 1770. His name appears with rank of
Corporal on the Lexington alarm-roll of Cap-
tain James Jones's company of minute-men,
which marched on alarm of April 19, 1775,
from Methuen to Concord.

Jonathan Carleton, their son, married Han-
nah Sawyer, daughter of Amos and Hannah
Sawyer, of Beverly, Mass., a grand-daughter of
Nathaniel, Jr., and Tryphena (Haseltine)
Duston, great-grand-daughter of Nathaniel,
Sr. , and Mary (Ayer) Duston, and great-great-
grand-daughter of Thomas and Hannah (Emer-
son) Duston. The latter mentioned maternal
ancestor, Hannah Duston, daughter of Michael
and Hannah (Webster) Emerson, was born in
1657, in Haverhill, Mass., and in 1697, being
the wife of Thomas Duston, was captured by
the Indians. After seeing her week-old babe
killed, she was forced to march to the Indian
camp near the present site of the city of Con-
cord, N. H. There, learning that she and
the other captives were to be killed on reach-
ing their destination in Canada, she quietly
arose in the night, and, with the aid of her
nurse, Mary Neff, and a young boy, killed ten
of the sleeping Indians, and made her escape
to the Merrimac River, where they unloosed a
canoe, and soon after rejoined her astonished
family in Haverhill. Pier brave act is re-
corded in history, and her name occupies an
honored position in the list of America's
heroic women.

Augustine Shurtleff attended private schools
in Boston until eleven years old, when he
came with his parents to Brookline. He was
fitted for college by a private tutor, and in
1842 entered Brown University, where he was



59°



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



graduated in 1846. After pursuing the study
of medicine three years at the Medical School
of Harvard University, where he received his
diploma in 1849, and subsequently, for nearly
two years, following the hospitals in Paris and
London, he began active practice in Essex
Street, Boston, where he remained about one
year. In 1852 he removed his office to Brook-
line, and since that time has here made his
home. The old stone house that his father
owned on Boylston Street, and which was the
family homestead for forty-three years, is still
standing; but in 1881, shortly after the death
of his mother, Augustine erected and removed
to his present dwelling on the corner of High
and Allerton Streets.

Dr. Shurtleff is a member of the Massachu-
setts Medical Society, of the Massachusetts
Medical Benevolent Society, of the Norfolk
County District Medical Society, of the Bos-
ton Natural History Society, and for a quarter
of a century was a member of the Union Club.
Since 1869 he has been one of the trustees of
the Brook! ine Public Library.




'AMUEL E. GUILD, a representative
of one of the oldest and most re-
spected families of Walpole, Mass.,
was born in this town, at the North
End, April 20, 1835, a son of Samuel Guild.
The family is of Scotch extraction, three of
its members — John, Samuel, and Ann — hav-
ing come from Scotland to America in 1636,
the same year locating in Dedham, Norfolk
County, where the descendants of the ancestor
of this branch of the Guild family lived for
some years, Samuel E. Guild being of the
seventh generation in Massachusetts. John
Guild, the great-great-grandfather of Samuel
E. , became a pioneer of Walpole, and here
brought up his son Samuel, the next in line
of descent ; and here Aaron Guild, son of
Samuel and grandfather of Samuel E., spent
his years, being an industrious and esteemed
member of the farming community.

Samuel Guild succeeded to the occupation
of his forefathers, and, having inherited fine
physical powers and the habits of temperance
in all things that characterized the former
generations, attained a ripe old age, dying on



his homestead farm in 1892, aged eighty-six
years. To him and his wife, whose maiden
name was Orra Eisher, six children were
born, namely: Orra E., who died in i860;
Samuel E., the special subject of this brief
biographical record; Mary J., living in Ja-
maica Plain, the widow of the late George H.
Ware; William E, of Medfield, Mass. ; Ered-
erick, of Walpole; and Julius, of whom a
sketch may be found on another page of this
volume.

Samuel E. Guild attended the district
schools until nearly seventeen years old, ob-
taining a practical knowledge of the studies
there pursued. Being possessed of some me-
chanical ingenuity and skill, he then began
the development of his natural talents by
learning the machinist's trade, at which he
worked until 1864. Enlisting that year in de-
fence of the Union, he became acting third as-
sistant engineer in the United States Navy,
and remained in service until the cessation of
hostilities. On returning home, Mr. Guild
resumed work at the machinist's bench, and
has since followed his chosen vocation with
great success. Politically, he is a zealous
supporter of the principles of the Republican
party, in which he is an active worker, for
three years having been chairman of the Re-
publican Town Committee.

Mr. Guild was married April 7, 1859, to
Miss Jane Earl, who was born in Hollis, Me.,
a daughter of Winthrop Earl. Mr. and Mrs.
Guild have one daughter — Alice Maria, wife
of James B. Lewis, of this town. Frater-
nally, Mr. Guild belongs to the E. B. Piper
Post, No. 157, G. A. R. , of which he is the
present Commander; and he is a member, and
for the past year has been Master, of the
A. O. U. W. For a quarter of a century he
has faithfully served as Deacon of the Second
Congregational Church, and has been superin-
tendent of the Sunday-school.



HARLES H. BELCHER, a success-
ful merchant of Randolph and a vet-
eran of the Civil War, was born in
this town, April 25, 1841. He is
a son of Charles and Hannah (Spear) Belcher,
both of whom were natives of Randolph, the





SAMUEL E. GUILD.



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



593



father being a carpenter by trade. ^_The pater-
nal grandfather, Ephraim Belcher, was a life-
long resident of this town; and the family has
long been a prominent one in Randolph and
the vicinity. Three of the children of Charles
and Hannah (Spear) Belcher survive, namely:
Mary F., now Mrs. Henry Nichols; Flor-
ence A., now Mrs. Daniel B. White — both of
whom are residents of this town; and Charles
II., the subject of this sketch.



Online LibraryBoston Biographical review publishing companyBiographical review, containing life sketches of leading citizens of Norfolk County, Massachusetts → online text (page 68 of 84)