Copyright
Boston (Mass.). Record Commissioners.

Second report of the record commissioners of the city of Boston : containing the Boston records, 1634-1660, and the book of possessions online

. (page 29 of 35)
Online LibraryBoston (Mass.). Record CommissionersSecond report of the record commissioners of the city of Boston : containing the Boston records, 1634-1660, and the book of possessions → online text (page 29 of 35)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


lane running parallel to the building was called Hutchinson street,
changed in 1800 to Pearl. A son, John Gray, succeeded to the
business. Gleaner Articles, No. 16, traces the history' of these
ropewalk lots.

F. 15. Richard Gridley. [Another lot, with R. Turner north-
west, J. Harrison south-west, the Bay south-east, and the Fort
northeast. — W.H.W.] Richard Gridley's pasture. It was in
this pasture, wliich, in Bonner's map, is intersected by Gibbs's
lane, with Gibbs's wharf on the shore just north of it, that Colonel
Robert Gibbs built his famous house, which surprised the colonial
town by its costliness. His wife Elizabeth survived him. '

F. 16. William Davies, Sr. His lot No. 2, of a house and
three quarters of an acre, with the water south-east, R. Gridley
south-west, north-west and north-east. — W.H.W.]

F. 17. John Harrison, house. He established on this lot
the first rope-walk, about 1G41. {Gleaner Articles, No. 16.)

F. 18. Richard Gridley, captain of militia, house and land.
It was on this ground, after Purchase street, then called Belcher's
Lane, was laid out, that Captain Samuel Adams, the father of the
patriot, lived; and here, in 1722, the latter was born, in a fine,
commanding house overlooking the harbor. Adjoining was his
malt-house and other buildings. Adams, the father, had bought
the lot in 1712, and a wharf on the water-front was long known by
his name. East of this, on a line of the present Gridley street,
Captain John Bonner lived.



LOTS 19 TO 22, BOUNDED BY SUMMER AND SOUTH STREETS
AND THE SOUTH COVE.

F. 19. Nicholas Baxter. [House and lot, with the street or
lane north and west, E. Brown and the Bay east, M. Irons south.
— W.H.W.]

F. 20. Edward Brown. [House and garden, with N. Baxter
noi'th and west, the Bay east, M. Irons south. — W.H.W.]

F. 21. Matthew lyons or Irons. [House and lot, with the lane
west, the Bav east, N, Baxter and E. Brown north, W. Leatherland
south.— W.H.W. ]

F. 22. William Leatherland. [House and lot, with the lane
west, the Bay east, M. Irons north, and A. Porter and the Cove



I

78 City Document No. 46. — Part 2.

south. The lane which was the west bound of these three lots,
F. 19, 21 and 22, is South street. Abel Porter is not in the Book ;
but Winsor seems to give him the extreme end, or Windmill Point.

— VV.H.W.]

LOTS 23 TO 28, SOUTH SIDE OF SUMMER STREET, WEST
OF SOUTH STREET.

F. 23. William Teft. [House and lot, with the Cove south, the
lane east, the Mill street north, T. Munt and (Anne) Tuttle west.

— W.H.W.] William Teft was enjoined, in 1644, not to " plant
it with Indian corn, nor anything that may hinder the wind-mill."
The records show that William Teffe, tailor, agreed to buy
Jacob AVilson's house and ground in 1G38; and that in 1039-40
he bought a house and ^ acre of Edward Gibbons, which the latter
had bought of William Mauer, and he of William Hudson, Sr., in
1639.

F. 24. Thomas Munt. [House and lot, with W. Teft east and
north, the Cove south, J. Negoos west. — "W.H.W.] Thomas
Munt had permission in 1635 to fence in a piece of marsh befoi-e
his house for the making of brick. (See N. E. Hist, and Genecd.
Beg., April, 1862, p. 162.)

F. 25. Jonathan Negoos. [House and lot, with the Cove south,
W. Teft north, T. Munt east, T. Foster west. — W.H.AV.]

F. 26. Thomas Foster. [House and lot, with the Cove south,
Mrs. Tuttle north, J. Negoos east, and 11. Woodhouse west.

F. 27. Richard Tuttle, and afterward his widow, had a wind-
mill here, near the present Church-Green estate. In 1642 per-
mission was given to remove the wind-mill into the fort ; but the
lot had a wind-mill on it when it subsequently passed to E



Online LibraryBoston (Mass.). Record CommissionersSecond report of the record commissioners of the city of Boston : containing the Boston records, 1634-1660, and the book of possessions → online text (page 29 of 35)