Copyright
Boston (Mass.). Record Commissioners.

Second report of the record commissioners of the city of Boston : containing the Boston records, 1634-1660, and the book of possessions online

. (page 30 of 35)
Online LibraryBoston (Mass.). Record CommissionersSecond report of the record commissioners of the city of Boston : containing the Boston records, 1634-1660, and the book of possessions → online text (page 30 of 35)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


F. gi. George Burden. [His lot No. 2, being a garden, near
the Common, wiili H. Webb south, the Common west, T. Clarke
east, and J. Johnson north. — W.II.W.]

F. 92. James Johnson, garden. These lots, on the line of the
present Mason street, were granted, in 1638, to James Johnson,



86 City Document No. 46. — Part 2.

John Davis, George Burden, and Natbaniol Chappell, and were
then called " gardens on the back side of the lots in y'^long street."
They mark the sight of the mansion and grounds of James Swan
of a later day, and, still later, the famous Washington Gardens of
the early part of this centiuy.

F. 93. John Leverett, who sold the south part in IGG-l to one
Wyard, and he, in IGGfi, to John Wampus, an Indian. {Gleaner
Article No. G.) [As I understand it, Lamb, on his map, has trans-
posed these four lots, making them read from west to east, — Lev-
erett, Johnson, Bnrden, Webb, instead of Webb, Burden, Johnson,
Leverett. AVinsor agrees with me. — W.ILW.]

LOTS 94, 95, AND 96, ON THE WEST SIDE OF WASHINGTON
STREET, FROM WEST STREET TO BOYLSTON STREET.

F. 94. William Chamberlain, house and garden. This lot
Thomas Oliver sold, in 1G45, to Nicholas Shapley. Oliver's will
is in N. E. Hist, and Geneal. Reg.., October, J 854, p. 3ol. This
lot seems to have been sold, in 1G47, by Francis Smith, to William
Chamberlin, assigned by Chamberlin to Smith again 5th, 11
month, 1G48 ; and was later sold to Richard Wilson. Opposite
the rear of this lot, on the Common, now the line of Mason street,
the town built, in 1717 (it is shown on Bonner's ma[)), the South
Writing School. It is described then as "adjoining to Cornell's
lot, over against Mr. Wainwright's."

F. 95. Richard Carter, house and garden. William Hudson,
Jr., sold to Richard Carter, a carpenter, in lGo9. This lot nearly
corresponds to the site of the Lamb Tavern, which stood here
before the middle of the last century. Drake sa3's that Colonel
Doty was the host in 17G0. Adjoining it on the north was
the Lion Tavern. [In the Book it is bounded by Mr. Oliver
north, he being the owner before Chamberlain, as noted in F. 94.
— W.H.W.]

F. 96. Jacob Leger. [House and garden, with the street east,
the Common west, R. Carter north, Mr. Coleborne south. —
W^H.W^]

F. d. [William Coleborne's lot was next south of Leger's, and
was the corner of Boylston and Washington streets. It is de-
scribed in Map C. — W.II.W.]

LOTS 97 TO 103, EAST SIDE OF W^ASHINGTON STREET, FROM
BEDFORD STREET TO ESSEX STREET.

F. 97. Robert Woodward, house and garden ; granted in 1637.
Papers relating to his estate arc in N. E. Hist, and Geneal. Reg.,
January, 1859, p. 10. Bedford street was laid out in 1G44. [His
lot has the High street west, the lane north, J. Leger south, T.
Buttolph east. — W.II.W\]

F. 98. Jacob Leger. [His lot No. 2, a house and garden,
with the street west, R. AYoodward north, T. Buttolph east, and
T. Fowle south. —W.II.W.]

F. 99. Thomas Fowle, house and garden. He removed to
•Braintree. In 1650, house and orchard sold by John Cuddington



Appendix. 87

to William Ilollowav. [He had Leger north, Sinct south, But-
lolpheast. — W.II.W.]

F. lOO. AV alter .Siiiet. [House aiul garden, ^vith the street
west, T. Buttolph and M. Reading east, J. Leger north, and J.
Odlin soutli. Possibly this should be T. "FowIc north. —
W.II.W.]

F. loi. John Odlin, house and garden, with the street west,
M. Reading east, Cole south, W. Sinet north. — W.II.W.]

F. 102. Cole, house and garden ; later owned b^y John

Cuddington, John Bateman, and John Odlin, in 1G50.

F. 103. Griflith Bowen, house and garden. Here, within the
hou^c-yard, stood tlie '"Liberty Tree," wliieh is said to have been
planted in 1G4G, and became famous in the Stamp-Act times, and
was cut down in spite by the Tories, in 1775.

F. 103*. [This lot is not placed on tlie map by an oversight.
On Lamb's map it is marked as lieLl by Miles Reading, but a part
of it belongs to Thomas Buttolph, as shown bv lots F. 97, 98, 99,
and 100. It was Buttolph's Lot No. 2. being an acre and a half,
first laid out for garden lots, with the highway south, a common
lot east, J. Leger, W. Sinet, and the lane noith, Mr. Fowle and
R. Woodward west. As Miles Reading onl}- occurs as an abutter
in F. 100 and 101, it is impossible to say iiow muc'.i he owned.
But Buttolph should stand as the main owner here, his lot reach-
ing to Bedford street. — W.II.W.]

LOTS lOi TO 108, ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF ESSEX STREET,
FROM WASHINGTON STREET EASTERLY.

F. 104. Garrett Bijurne. [House and garden, with the street
west and north, the marsh south, E. Rainsford east. — W.H.W.]

F. 105. Edward Rainsfurd. [House and garden, with the
street north, the Cove south, G. Bourne west, D. Offley east.
Rainsford's lane in 1708, from Essex street to Bench street, now
part of Ilari-ison avenue, was near this lot. — W.H.W.]

F. 106. David Ofllcy. ILnise and garden, with the street
north, tlie Cove south, E. Rainsford west, the lane cast. —
W.H.W.]

F. 107. Owen Rowe. [House and garden, with the street
north, the lane west, the Cove south, J. Pelton cast. — W.II.W.]

F. 108. John Pelton. [House and lot, with the street north,
the Cove south, O. Rowe west, the marsh east. — W.II.W.]

F. 109. [The Marsh, between Kingston street and the end of
Essex street. Even on Bonner's map of 1722, after Essex street
had been cut through to Kingston street, there is only one line of
houses on Essex street, with a great open space behind it, and
"Coal's Garden" making up nearly all of the southerly side of
Bedford street. Exeter street wfts projected, in 1805, across this
lot, witich street became Rowe place in 1825, Rowe street in 1837,
and Chauncy street (by absorption) in 185G. The later Rowe
place, on the easterly side, ended in a vacant lot in the I'car of
Garcelon's stable and the Kingston-street houses. When built
upon, a few years ago, it was said to be covered for the first time
by buildings. — W.H. W.]




Map G, or No. 7.

(88)



MAP G, OR NO. 7.



LOTS EAST OF HANOVER STREET AND NORTH OF THE
COVE AND MILL CREEK; NOS. 1 TO 10.

G. I. Sampson Shore. [House and garden, with M. Chaffie
north-east, John Hill south-west, the street north-west, the Cove
south-east. — W.H.W.]

G. 2. John Hill. [His second lot being a small lot of quarter
of an acre, with S. Shore north-east, J. Milom south-west, the
street north-west, the Cove south-east. — W.H.W.]

G. 3. David Sellick. [B}- Book of Possessions, it seems that
14th, 7 mo., 1647, Sellick bought of Edward AVells a lot, with S.
Shore north-east, J. Hill's garden north-west, J. Milom south-west,
the Cove south-east. It must be here, though not on Lamb's map.
— W.H.W. ]

G. 4. John Mylom, cooper, house and garden ; sold to John
Phillips, biscuit-maker, in 1048. It was upon this lot that one of
the oldest buildings in Boston, half way up Cross street, existed
to our day. Phillips, who had come from Dorchester, became a
deacon of the Second Church in 1650, added to his estate adjacent
lands, and built the stone house ; which, when it was torn down in
1804, was considered the oldest building in Boston. It has been
described by Mr. Bynner, in Vol. I. of Memorial History of Boston.
Phillips died in 1682. Shurtleff, Description of Boston^ p. 667, has
traced its history to our day. Phillips, before he died, sold the
part of his lot next the water-side to Captain Christopher Clarke.

G. 5. William Werdall. [House and garden, with J. Milom
south-west (error, evidently for south-east), J. Hill north-east, the
street north-west, the highwa}- south-west. This south-west high-
way was Cross street, but Milom'.^ bound is on Valentine Hill ; an
example of how little precision is shown in these descriptions. —
W.H.W.] Winsor writes of this lane, as follows : — "This lane
was laid out in 1636, from the water-side ' up the balke or meare
that goes up from the end of John Mylom's house, next William
Aspinwall's ground, and to goe along to the Mylne Cove, a rod and
a halle broade.' M3lom was allowed, in 1647, to wharf before
the eastern end of it. At the beginning of the next century it was
called Coney's Lane. Sewall Papers, ii., 211."

G. 6. Valentine Hill, according to Winsor, had five lots here,
thus described : — "a. Valentine Hill. h. Valentine Hill : sold to
Barnabas Fawer, in 1646, who was to maintain a cart-wa}' l)y the
wharf before his door, and whose will, 1654, is in N. E. Hist, and
Geneal. Reg., July, 1851, p. 305. c. Valentine Hill; sold to



90 City Document No. 46. — Part 2.

James Blattock in 1G4G, -o-hose will, IGGG, is in N. E. Hist, and
Geveal. Jieg., Oct., 18G1, p. 325. David I'hippen}- had a house
and lot in this neighborhood. See his will in N. E. IlUt. and
Geneal. llcg., July, 1853, p. 233. [Phippcny's lot (iiook, p. 31)
bounded suuth-wcst on W. Tyng, and T\i)jj,'s lot no. 2 bounds
ou Phippeny. — W.II.W.] d. Valentine Hill; sold to Arthur
Perry, e. Valentine Hill; sold to Richard Straine, in 1G48 ;
then passed to Paul Allistre, with a wharf in front ; then to Robert
iS'annej', in 1650. His will, 1G63, is printed in iV^. E. Hist, and
Geneal. Reg., April, 1858, p. 155. Near the bridge over the
creek. Hill sold, in 1G51, a lot to William Aubrey, ' for the use of
the undertakers of the iron works in New England.' A lane
which later passed thiough this lot and the present North
Centre street was called Padd^^'s Lane, from Ctiptain William
Paddy, a citizen of prominence, who lived upon it, and died in
1G58. His will is in N. E. Hist, and Genml. licg., Oct., 1854,
p. 355 ; also see 1877, p. 321."

G. 7. John Oliver. [House and garden, of about half an acre,
with V. Hill north-east and south-east, the street north-west, John
Pierce and Jolui Knight south-west. — W.H.W.]

G. 8. John Knight.

G. g. John Pierce. [No possessions recorded, but the exist-
ence of the lots is necessitated by G. 7 and G. 10.. — W.H.W.]

G. 10. Thomas Marshall. [House and garden of about half
an acre, with the marsh south-east, ,Iohn Peirce or John Knight
north-east, the street north-west and south-west. Also 8th, G mo.
1G48, Marshall bought of John Milom, land near the water-mill
with Milom south-east, 30 feet, Marshall south-west 76 feet,
the Mill Creek north-east, 74 feet, the highway north-west
44 feet. From all which it appears that Marshall owned both sides
of the Mill creek and cove up to the highway ; but the exact boun-
daries are hard to trace. — W.II.W.]

AVinsor adds : " Joshua Scottow was allowed, in 1651, to wharf
at the north-east end of the mill bridge. He had bought the marsh
at that time of James Nash, of Weymouth, to whom John JMylom
had sold it."

Winsor places the following lots in this square with Union street
west, and the Mill creek through its centre : —

a. John Mylom ; sold to Thomas Marshall, 1648. b. John
Mylom, h. ; sold in part in 1650 to Robert Nash, the butcher, c.
John Mylom ; sold to Governor Leverett. d. Lewis Kidb}', fish-
erman, 1G39 ; granted house lot on the marsh next to John Lowe.
e. John Lowe, upland, surrounded by marsh ; called a wheelwright,
when it was granted to him in 1636-37. /. Marsh held in com-
monage, part of which was granted in 1646 to John Mylom, who
sold it to James Hawkins in 1648.

Thomas Marshall offered to the town in 1652 a highway to
shorten the wa}' to the bridge (G. 11 ) , but withdrew his off"er. The
present Marshall street, however, would indicate that the short cut
was eventually established.

G II. The bridge, the draw of which sras changed from one
to two leaves in 1653, and the bridge was rebuilt in 1659. The



Appendix. 91

repairs on it are a matter of constant entr^- in the town records.
In 1G50 it was ordered tliat the spare laud about the bridge should
be wharfed by the neighbors for the common lauding of prop-
erty.

[Here also the] " old way" begun, which in 1G49 was laid out,
a rod broad, from the south side of the water mill, along the shoie
to the Mill Hill.



LOTS 12 TO 17, WEST OF HANOVER STREET.

G. 12. Thomas Hawkins. [A quarter of an acre towards
Charlestown, with James Johnson south-west (see H. 1), the Cove
north-west, John Button north-east, and the street south-east. See
Book, p. 41. — W.H.W.]

G. 13. John Button. [Lamb places William Cox here, I
know not wh}'. This lot does not seem to be recorded in the
Book. Perhaps it is a reminiscence of Biittolph's lot No. 5, where
Cox means Copp. — W.H.W.]

G. 14. John Davies, house and garden ; sold in 1G45 to John
Trotman, and his wife Katherine conveyed it same day to Thomas
Hawkins, who at a later day kept here, on Hanover street, the
Star Inn. (See Shurtlefl', Description of Boston, p. GOG.) He
mortgaged the propert}' to Governor Bradstreet in 1G50. From
Hawkins's house went "the old hie wav over the little bridge
[near 11] behind the watter mile to the ferr^- to Charlestown."
One Watters obstructing this old way with a fence in lGr)2, he was
ordered to remove it; but in 1G50 Hawkins was allowed to fence
in a part of it temporarily*.

G. 15. Gabriel Fish. [House and yard, with John Davies
south and west, V. Hill north, the street east. — W.H.W.]

G. 16. Valentine Hill ; perhaps later John Kinrick's.

G. 17. This whole triangle is left without owners on Lamb's
map. Winsor assigns as follows : —

a. Zaccheus Bosworth, 1. hereabout. Also probably in this
neighborhood, but not easily placed, the houses and gardens of
Bartholomew Cheever, John Arnold, John Jackson, and a lot of
Robert Hull, the blacksmith. [But these last two certainly were
in the New field, i.e. the hill-side along from Beacon to Cambridge
streets, and are so marked by Winsor in his Map F. JNIore study
is required for lot 17. — W.H.W.]

h. John Ruggles, 1 Go7, had house-plot and garden " near the new
mylne." If the same who was afterwards of Roxbur}', his will,
1657, is printed in N. E. Hist, and Geneal. Beg., Oct., 1858, p.
343. Just north of this point, with its rear upon the cove, the
Baptists built their first meeting-house in 1G79, which was replaced
by a larger one still, of wood, in 1771. Still further round the
cove, on the site of the present Baldwin Place, the Second Baptist
Church built their house in 174G, — a small structure which con-
tinued well into this century.

c. William Wilson, 2 J- a.

d. Richard Parker.



92 City Document No. 46. — Part 2.



LOTS 18 TO 21, THE WEST SIDE OF THE COVE, EAST OF
UNION STIIEET.

G. i8. John Lowe. [House and garden, with the marsh north
and east, the cove south, and Mr. Bellingham west. — W.II.W.]

G. ig. Richard BeUingham's mar^h, inchiding what came to
him under an order, 1G44, granting him such of the town's marsh
as was undisposed of, " lor the continuance of peace and love, in
consideration of a quiet resignation of all claim unto the wast
before his house." The Governor sold this marsh in equal parts
to Joshua Scottow and Christopher Lawson. Shurtleff, iJcscriptiou
of Boston, ch. Ivii., shows how in the southerly pnrt of this marsh,
near the corner of Merchants' Row and North Market street, stood
for many years the well-known Triangular Warehouse.

G. 20. Henry Symons, house ; sold to Christopher Lawson ; and
by him in 1G45 to David Sellick, with wharf and lane before it ; to
Robert Nanney in 1G46. This wharf was bought by John Shawe,
the butcher. [Henry Symons, house and lot, with Mr. Bellingham
north and cast, John Hill west, the cove south. — W.H.W.]

G. 21. John Hill, house. Somewhere in this vicinity, in 1G5G,
Thomas Savage built his new house, "between the drawbridge and
the conduit." On the opposite side of the present North street
from this lot, on an irregular piece of ground, partly- reclaimed
from the marsh, and a wooden building, which was consumed
in the (ire of 1G79, to be followed next year l\y the rough -cast
structure, which, standing to our day, has been known as the
"Old Feather-Store." ShurtlefT, Ihscription of Boston, p. G45,
thinks the lot was originally a part of Symons's [lot], who
dying in 1G43, his widow Susannah married, about 1G44, Isaac
Walker, who conveyed it to their daughter Susannah, born 1G4G,
who in 1GG8 married Mr. Thomas Stanbury, who built the old
building, which was taken down in 18G0. The subsequent history
of the building is told by Shurtleff. [John Hill, house bounded
with H. Symons east, Mr. Bellingham north, the street west, the
Cove south. — W.H.W.]



LOTS 22 TO 27, BOUNDED BY UNION, ELM, AND HANOVER
STREETS.

G. 22. James Everill, a shoemaker, house and large lot, em-
bracing nearly the whole front on Hanover street, out of which he
sold lots to various people. AVilliam Tyng acquired a part on Elm
street; and along Hanover street, passing north, were the lots
of Francis Dowse, Evan Thomas, a vintner (sold to James Bill),
William Corser (sold to John Chamberlyn), Robert Porter, John
Stevenson, and William Hayward. The corner lot on Hanover
and Union streets passed to Henry Maudesley about IGao; and
Shurtleir, Lh'sc. of Bodon. p. G28, has traced the title down, until
it became the famous " Blue Ball," the home of Franklin's father.
It is now cut off by the extension of Washington street.



Appendix. 1)3

G. 23. Edmund Dennis. [Apparent!}' his lot No. o. A small
parcel with James Evcril cast, the lane and street south-west and
north-west. Winsor agrees in this location, but it is not on Lamb's
map.— W.H.W.]

G. 24. John Button. [Three houses and a garden and yard, in
ail about an acie, with J. Everill north-west, the lane south-west,
the Cove south-east, N. Willis north-east. — W.H.W.] Winsor
writes, " There was in later years some conti'oversy as to whether
the land opposite this lot and the town docks was public property.
See depositions in N. E. Hist, and Geneal. Reg., Jan., 18G4, p. G8."
Winsor, in Map B, puts these lots on the east side of the Mill
Creek, instead of the cast side of the lane, now Ehn street. He
also puts Willis and Painter with Hanover street west. Herein
be differs from Lamb, whose localities agree better with the
Book. — W.H.W.]

G. 25. Nicholas Willis. [House and garden, with J. Everill
•westerly, J. Button south-west, the street east, T. Painter north-
erly. — W.H.W.]

G. 26. Thomas Painter. [House and garden, with N. Willis
south-west, the street east, Geo. Barrell north. — W.H.W.]

G. 27. George Barrell. [House and lot not half an acre, with
J. Everill north, T. Painter south, N. Willis west, the street east.
— W.H.W.]



LOTS 28 TO 52, BOUNDED BY ELM, WASHINGTON, COURT,
AND HANOVER STREETS.

G. 28. Thomas Makepeace. This was perhaps the house John
Underbill surrendered in 1G3D to Thomas Makepeace of Dorches-
ter, whose will, IGGG, is in N. E. Hist, and Geneal. Eeg., October,
18G1, p. 323. It was on the north-east corner that a well-
known Boston merchant, William Tailer, lived, — the same who
committed suicide July 12, 1G82. (N. E. Hist, and Geneal. lleg.,
vii.. 5G.) His wife was Rebecca, a daughter of Israel Stonghton of
Dorchester, and it was with her in this house that Andros is sup-
posed to have taken up his abode when he came to Boston in 1G86.
The son, William Tailer of Dorchester, became Lieut. -Governor,
and rented this house to Edward Lyde, who in 1701-2 bought the
propertv. (fSezcall Papers, i., 1G3, 202 ; N. E. Hist, and Geneal.
Beg., July, 18G3, p. 239 ; July, 18G4, p. 289.)

G. 29. Anne, widow of George Ilunne. [House and garden

with George on the east and south, T. INiakepeacc west, the

lane north. The "George " is evidently George Bates. —

W.H.W.]

G. 30. George Bates. [House and garden, T. Makepeace west,
A. Hunne north, G. Burden east, W. AV^ilson south. — W.H.W.]

George Bates in the rear of Anne Hunne. The will of John
Endicott {N. E. Hist, and Geneal. Reg., October, 18G2, p. 333),
leaving his property to his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Jeremy
Houtchin (he had no children), mentions his house as " joyning
to George Bates on the west."



94 City Document No. 46. — Part 2.

G. 31. George Burden.

G. 32. Francis Dowse.

G. 33. Jeremy Houcliin. [Of these lots only one is recorded.
Dowse has a house and yard, with the lane east, AV. Tyug west,
G. Burden north, J. Houcliin south. See Tyng's lot, G. 40.
— W.H.W.]

G. 34. tSarah Knight. [House and garden, with J. Houcliin
north, the lane east, W. Tyng west, and S. Greames south. —
W.H.W.]

G. 35. Samuel Greames. [House and yard, with Sarah Knight
north-west, the lane nortii-en.st, W. Hudson, Jr., south-east, Wm.
Tyng south-west. — W.H.W.]

G. 36. William Hudson, jr. [Evidently the corner of Hud-
son's lane, now Elm street, as he has Greames and the lane north-
east and the street south-east. — W.H.W.]

This was known as the "Castle Tavern," and Hudson and his
wife Anne conveyed it in 1G74 to John Wing, who in 1G87 " set a
room in his house for a man to show tricks in ; " and Sewall records,
amusingly, how he went to labor with Wing and convince him of
its sinfulness, ending his account: " Sung the 90"" Ps. from the
12"' V. to the end. Broke up." (Sewall Pcqiers, i, 196.) In
1694 it is called the "George Tavern." Mr. John T. Hassam
traces the subsequent histoiy of this estate in N. E. Hist, and
Geneal. Reg., 1879, p. 400.

G. 37. John Glover, house. By will, 1653, he left half his house
nearest Mr. Webb's to his wife, and half to his son Habakkuk,
with half his tanj^ard adjacent ; also to this son half his house next
Goodman Hudson's. Another son, John, who had graduated at
Harvard in 1651, continued to live with the mother. Becoming a
merchant, he moved to Swansea ; and, returning to Boston in 1690,
lived and died (1696) on Summer street, and hes buried in the
Granary Burying-ground. {Glover Memorials., p. 149 ; Sible_y,
Harvard Gradxiates, p. 297. )

G. 38. George Bur'den, a shoemaker, house. There was a wharf
opposite his house in 1641, where he had permission to place a
vessel at the head of it in which to water his leather. Burden's
will is in N. E. Hist, and Geneal. Reg., July, 1854, p. 278 ; and
see 1880, p. 44, for a note of the descent of this lot. A way round
the north side of the Cove from this lot to John Lowe's was
laid out definitely in 1642. When tlie town, in 1649, sold the re-
version till 1726 of the dock to James Everill, on his paying an
annual £6 16.5. lOd. "to the school's use," it was then ordered that
all the land at the head of the Cove "round about by John Glover's,
George Burden's, Hugh Gunnison's, Captain William Tinge's,
William Franklin's, Robert Nashe's, and eight foot to the' east-
ward of it is highway ; as alsoe from the eastward six of the
eight foot, and round about l)ye the corner of Edward Bendall's
brick howse, and so by Samuel Cole's howse, as alsoe to Edward
Ting's wharfe, shall goe a high way of twentyc foote in breadth."
This head of the dock was the " common landing place" as early
as 1634, when there was a bridge or pier here.



Appendix.



95




t)OCK SQUARE. ABOiri 1732.



This sketch is based on a, plan preserved in the City Hall, and
of which a copy made by the late W. G. Brooks is in ihe Cabinet
of tlie Historical Society. Tlie tigures stand for the following
names and sites: 1, Hutchinson; 2, Billings; 3, Randall; 4,
Harvard; 5, Hannas ; 6, Checkley ; 7, Jackson; 8, Hand; 9,
Eawson; 10, Right; 11, W. Coffin; 12, Millar; 13, J. Tyler; 14,
Tyler; 15, Hancock; 16, Boyce ; 17, Pemberton ; 18 Brooks;
19. Pitts; 20, Watch-house ; 21, Jackson ; 22, Abbott; 23, Brom-
field; 24, Hubbard; 25, Small shops; 20, Billings; 27, Platform,
Fish shop ; 28, Swing Bridge ; 29, Borland ; 30, Bridgman Hall
and ^Yarehouse ; 31, Woodmancy's wharf; 32, Fayerweather ;
33, Colman ; 34, Hutchinson; 35, Cushing ; 36, Bronsdon ; 37,
Jeffery; 38, Palmer's Wareliouse ; 39, Gill and Sewall ; 40,
Green; 41, Allen; 42, Bromfield ; 43, Noyes ; 44, Boylston ;
45, Bailey; 46, Sun Tavern; 47, Borman and Gibbs ; 48,
Maverick; 49, Edes ; 50, Blake ; 51, Colson.



96 City Docu^lent No. 46. — Part 2.

Gr. 39. Hugh Guiiuisou. vintner. He later removed to Kittery.
lu 1G5U Gunnison's, or GuUison's. house is called The King's Arms,
and the estate included a brew-house, barns, stables, etc. ; and in
IGol he and his wife Sarah conveyed it, according to an inventory
printed in X. E. Hist, and Geneal. Bey.. 1880, p. 42, to Henry
8hrimpton and others ; and according to Mr. Hassam, when
Shrirapton made his will, in 1G6G, he called it the •' States Arms ; "
and when Eliakim Hutchinson became Shrimptou's son-in-law, two
ye:irs later, it is described as '• facing to the head of the dock, and
heretofore called the King-'s Amies." The estate passed next,



Online LibraryBoston (Mass.). Record CommissionersSecond report of the record commissioners of the city of Boston : containing the Boston records, 1634-1660, and the book of possessions → online text (page 30 of 35)