Copyright
Boston (Mass.). Record Commissioners.

Second report of the record commissioners of the city of Boston : containing the Boston records, 1634-1660, and the book of possessions online

. (page 31 of 35)
Online LibraryBoston (Mass.). Record CommissionersSecond report of the record commissioners of the city of Boston : containing the Boston records, 1634-1660, and the book of possessions → online text (page 31 of 35)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1715-19, to William Hutchinson, the son, and in 1721 to Eliakim
Hutchinson, the grandson, a lo3'alist.

G. 40. Captain William Tyng, house, garden, close, great yard,
and little yard before the hall window. His inventory is in ^". E.
Hii^t. and Geneal. Reg., 1876. p. 432. A part of this lot, after
Captain Tyug's death, Jan. 18, 1052-53, fell to Elizabeth, his
daughter, wife of Thomas Brattle, who died May 10, 1684, when
it fell to Thomas Brattle, {^eicall Papers, i., 202.) Subsequently,
in 1694, a part of the estate passed to Mr. Mumford, who after-
wards conveyed it to the Quakers for a meeting-house. (Shurtleff,
Desc. of Boston, p. 229.) On the rear of this lot, after passages
had been opened across it, the first wooden house of the '■ Mani-
festo Church" was erected in 1699, and stood through the provin-
cial period. A part of this lot was conveyed by Brattle to John
"Wing, and by him to Eliakim Hutchinson. (See N. E. Hist, and
Geneal. Reg.\ 1880. p. 43.)

G. 41. Richard Bellingham, the residence of the Governor
probably before he built the house on Cotton Hill. In 1644 he
compounded with the town by accepting a piece of marsh on the
other side of the dock in lieu of the waste ground before this house.
Hereabout, fronting on Dock Square, stood a landmark known in
the early part of the next century as Colson's Stone House.

G. 42. Christopher Stanley. (See p. 43 of Book.)

WiUiam Balston sold the lot August, 1638, when it consisted of
house, yard, garden, and close " back side of Mr. Coddington,"
to Thomas Cornell or Cornwell ; who sold to Edward Tyng, 1 643 ;
and he to Christopher Stanley. This one of the three Balston
settlers left no male issue. Whitmore, Sevxdl Papers, ii., 130,
186. corrects Savage in an account of these Balston settlers.

G. 43. Thomas Buttolph. house and garden. Buttolpli's will is in
N.E. Hist. a)id Geneal. Reg.. April, 1862. p. 159. leaving to his wife
Anna his house, yards, stable, barn, and other housing, and after her
to his son Thomas. This he calls his ■• new house." This old house
he leaves to Thomas till his mother dies : then to his son John.

G. 44. Valentine Hill, house, sold to Robert Turner, shoemaker,
in 1644. Turner's will is dated 1651. (See xV. E. Hist, and
Geneal. Reg.. July. 1850, p. 285.)

G. 45. Mr. Henry Dunster. [House and yard, with the street
east and south, T. Hawkins west and north. Evidently the north
corner of Court and Washington streets. — W.H.W.]

G. 46. Thomas Hawkins. [House and yard, with V. Hill
north, the street cast. J. Biggs west, H. Dunster and Centry-hill
street south . — W . H . W . ]



Appendix. 97

G. 47. John Biggs. [House and yard, with Bellingham north,
Centrj'-hill street south, T. Hawkins, V. Hill, T. Buttolph and C.
Stanley east. James Brown west. — AV.H.W.]

G. 48. James Brown, house. His will. lij.')l. is in X. E. Hist,
and Geneul. Reg.. Oct., 1»J3, p. 305. Hereabout, on the lower
corner of the present Franklin avenue, Samuel Kneeland. in 1718,
began a printing office, and here printed some of the early Boston
newspapers. Later it became the stand of James Franklin ; and
here his brother Benjamin assisted him on the Xen: England (Joxi-
rant, and in 1723 became uixler a pretence its proprietor. In 17G9
it was the office of Edes and Gill, prominent printers of their day.

G. 49. Alexander Beck. [House and garden, with the street
south. .Mr. Bellingham north. J. Brown east, J. Scottow west. —
W.H.W.]

G. 50. Joshua Scottow. [House and garden of about half an
acre. Mr. Bellingham north-east. A. Beck south-east. Sudbury street
south-west, B. Thwing north-west. Evidently Gentry Hill street
ended and Sudbury street began at about this point : but this point
is about the corner of Cornhill. and our Sudbury street is now con-
tracted to the part north of Hanover street. — W.H.W.]

G. 51 . Benjamin Thwing. house. It was about at this point that
Smibert the painter lived in 1743, and Brattle street was subse-
quently cut off in part from the estate of the artist. [Benjamin
Thwing is called •• mv man," bv Ralph Hudson, in his will of 24
Sept.. 1G38.— W.H.aV.]

G. 52. William Wilson, joiner, with considerable back land.
Soon after the middle of the next century the building known to
our own day as Concert Hall was built. The estate then extended
to Hanover street. Gilbert and Louis Deblois, braizers. conveyed
it in 1754 to Stephen Deblois, who in 17G9 sold it to William Tur-
ner ; and later it passed to the Amory familv. (Drake's Boston^
p. 641.)

a. Edward Bendall

b. John Cotton

c. Daniel Maud

d. Richard Bellingham

These letters show the front lines of the above estates on Tremont
street, more fully figured on Map H, or Map Xo. 8.



LOTS 53 TO 63, BOUNDED BY COURT, WASHINGTON, SCHOOL,
AND TREMONT STREETS.

G. 53. Croychley for Dineh* heirs. On this lot, in the flour-
ishing days of Governor Shirley, lived one of the best known Bos-
ton merchants, John Wendell ; and under his roof, in 1759. George
Cradock had his office as Royal Collector of Customs. For the
Cradock connections see X. E. Hist, and (Jeneal. Reg.. Jan.. 1854,
p. 28 ; Ai)ril, 1855, p. 123.

G. 54. Richard Tapping, house : sold to Xathaniel Williams ;
again in 1649 to Richard Critchle}" or Cro3'chley, who married the



98 City Docuiment No. 46. — Part 2.

■widow of William Dinely, the barbcr-surgcon, Tv^bosc sad fate, ir»
IGOO, is described in Mr. Scudder's chapter, in Vol. I. of the
Memorial IlisPrn/, and who left to his widow and children the next
lot. A son of Dinely, named Jcihn, survived him ; and the infant
with the name of sad remembrance, who came after the father's
death, — Fathergone Dinely, — administered o:i his elder brother's
estate. Between 53 and 54, on the lot novt^ covered by the Adams
Express Company's building, lived Colonel Daniel Henchman, the
bookseller and bookbinder, with whom Thomas Hancock served
his time, and whose daughter Hancock married. She, Lydia Han-
cock, gave the estate to the Brattle-street Church in 17G5, for a
parsonage. James Otis at one time lived in the house.

G. 55. The Prison lot where the Court-House now stands.

G. 56. Richard Parker. [House, l)arn, and yard, with the
prison-yard west, the market-place cast, J. Leverett north, R.
Truesdale and the meeting-house south. — W. H.W.I

G. 57. John Leverett. [House and yard, with R. Parker
south and west, the street north and east. This lot is where Sears'
Building stands. — W.H.W.]

G. 58. Richard Truesdale, house and garden. Sargent, Deal-
ings tuilh the D ad, ii-, 5G7, sa3's that Benjamin Faneuil, brother of
Peter, had his town residence on this lot at a later day. [Valentine
Hill was on his south. — W.H.W.]

G. 59. Valentine Hill. [House and garden, with the street
east, the meeting-house and R. Truesdale north, the prison-garden
west, R. Sedgwick south. — W.H.W.] Valentine Hill sold in
1G45 to William Davies. Hill moved, after 1G50, to Dover, New
Hampshire. It was probably from a building on this lot Ihat the
first number of the Boston Ntivs-Lelter was published, April 24,
1704.

G, 60. The Meeting-house. [The first one was built on the
west side of State street, where Braziers Building is. In 1G40 it
was given up, and this site chosen. In 1809, it was sold to Ben-
jamin Joy, who built Joy's Building ; now torn down to give place
to Rogers' Building. —W.H.W.]

G. 61. Major-General Robert Sedgwick, house and garden,
who had lived earlier in Charlestown. It was in a court wliich, in
the provincial period, extending through this lot toward the present
Court square, that the fire of 1711 began, breaking out, as the
Neivs- Letter of the day said, " in an old tenement, within a back-
yard in Cornhill [Washington street], near the first meeting-
house ; " and Sewall says it " broke out in a little house belonging

to Captain Ephraim Savage, b}' reason of t'le drunkenness of

Moss," whom the Netvs-Letter characterizes as a "poor Scottish
woman ; " and Drake gives the name of Mary Morse. {Setvu/l
Fapf'rs, ii., 323.) There are two petitions on file in the City
Clerk's office giving the names of some of the pi-incipal sufferers
by this fire.

G. 62. EdAvard Hutchinson, house and garden. After his re-
moval to Rhode Island, his son was permitted to sell it to his uncle,
Richard Hutchinson, of London, who never occupied it. The
"Old Corner Book-Store," erected in 1712, now occupies a por-



Appendix. 99

tioii of tliG lot ; and the closcont of the property has been traced in
Shurtleff's Description of Boston^ p. G71.

G. 63. Henry Messenger, joiner, house and garden. This is
the lot on which now stands the building of the Massachusetts His-
torical Society, and, in pari, the Boston Museum. His will is
dated March 15, 1G72, and he died in 1G81, his wife Sarah inherit-
ing the estate ; and she at her death, 1G97, gave the half next the
burial-place to her son Thomas, and the other half to her son Sim-
eon. An account of his descendants is in N. E. Hist, and Geneal.
lieg., Oct., 18G2, p. 309 ; and is given more at length in the Geue-
alogjf of the Messeuger Famili/, by George W. Messenger, Albany,
LSG3. This Messenger lot, separating the town property on School
from that on Court street, was in part later acquired by the town.
{Gleaner Articles, No. 3.) [His south bound was Scottow and
the burying-ground. — W.H.W .]

[_Note. — Thomas Scottow's lot on School street, the only one
between Hutchinson's corner and the King's chapel burying-ground,
is noted on Map F, or No. G, as the front ison that plan. — W.H.W.]

THE MARKET PLACE, NOW THE OLD STATE-HOUSE LOT.

G. 64. The open market-stead, where later, in 1G.j7-58, the
"Town and State House" was built, — the colon}' excusing the
town from current payment of rates in consideration. (-Tune 10,
1G58, ]\lass. Archives, "Towns," i. 108.) The money had largel}'
been received under Robert Keayne's will. The colony and the
county subsequently shared with Boston the expense of repairs,
the building being of wood. It was destroyed in the fire of 1711,
and the next year a building of brick took its place. All but the
walls of this building were burned in 1747 {Historical Magazine,
Sept., 1868), and many of the original papers, which we might ex-
pect to find now at the State House, were probably then consumed.
{Sewall Papers, i., 161.) [It was used as the State House until
the new State House, on Beacon Hill, was finished and occupied,
January 11th, 1798. For thirty years following it was given up to
business purposes. In 1830 the City took possession, and it be-
came the City Hall. In 1840, the City having changed its offices
to the site on School street, it was again let for business. After
mnch hard usage, the City Conncil,ln 1881, appropriated $35,000
to restore the exterior and the legislative halls, leaving only the
lower floor and basement for business purposes. — W.H.W.]

LOTS G5 TO 83. BEGINNING AT THE WATER'S EDGE, ON THE
SOUTH SIDE OF STATE STREET, THENCE THROUGH DEVON-
SHIRE STREET TO WATER STREET (BOTH SIDES), THENCE
ON WASHINGTON STREET TO STATE STREET.

G. 65. William Hudson, Sr., house and garden. He was
allowed to keep an ordinary in 1G40; and in 1643 a " harbor for
boats" was ordered to be made in the marsh near by. This lot is
at the corner of Kilby street. After Hudson's death it passed to
Francis Smith, and later to Governor Leverett. Here in the pro-



100 City Document No. 46. — Part 2.

vincial cla3"S stood the Bunch of Grapes Tavern, with a sign of
three bunches of the fruit ; and Drake says two of the bunches
now hang over the door of a store in North Market street. The
same writer gives its landlords as Francis Holmes (I7l2), William
Coffin (1731), Joshua Barker (1749), Colonel Joseph IngersoU
(1764). Samuel Holbrook seems to have owned part of it, at
least, before 1724, when his widow sold a moiety to Thomas Waite.
(ZV. E. Hist, and Geneal. Reg., 1877, p. 423.) Goelet's Journal
{N. E. Hist, and Genpxd. Reg.., 1870, p. 53) mentions Weather-
head as the keeper in 1750, and says it is "noted for the best
punch house in Boston, and resorted by most the gent" merch'' and
masters vessels." This passage b^' Ihe shore was known as Mack-
erel Lane, and remained very narrow until the great fire of 1 7G0
swept everything awa^', when it was widened and named Kilby
street, in compliment to Christopher Kilby, a wealthy Boston mer-
chant, who lived long in London as agent for the town and colony,
and was now living in New York. He was very liberal to the
sufferers by the fire. The committee for laying out the widened
street were Andrew Oliver, Thomas Hancock, Joshua Henshaw,
and John ScoUay ; and then- report is on file.

G. 66. William Davics, S"". [House, with the street north, W.
Hudson, Sr , east, Mr. Winthrop south and west. — W.H.W.]

G. 67. John Winthrop. [His possessions are not in the Book ;
perhaps they were recorded on the missing first two pages. This
lot is not his house-lot, which was on Washington street, opposite
the foot of School street. —W.H.W.]

G. 68. Elder Thomas Leverett, house and garden. When he
died, in 1G50, this estate is described as "old houses and lands
lyeing neare the old meeting-house in Boston, £50." This lot ex-
tended back on the line of the present Congress street ; and on a
portion of it, opposite the jumtion of Congress street and Ex-
change place (lately Lindall street), the Quakers built a meeting-
house in 1700, and had their burial-ground in the rear. Interments
took place, though rarely, in this ground till 1815, and in 182G the
bodies, such as could be found, were removed, chiefly to Lynn.
(See Shurtleff, Description of Boston, p. 231.) Leverett's property
also took in the present Exchange Building lot. The upper part
of Leverett's lot afterwards became the home of Andrew Belcher,
a wealthy merchant, who lived here in 1G9I , and was the father of
Governor Belcher. For a note on Andrew Belcher's family con-
nections, see Seioall Papers, iii., IGO ; and iV. E. Hist. a)td Geneal.
Reg., 1873, p. 239. Andrew Belcher died in 1717. East of him
was the land which Governor Leverett sold to Jeremiah Dummer,
a goldsmith, in 1G77, the father of Lieut. -Governor AVilliam Dum-
mer, and of Jeremiah, — the last being born on this spot.

G. 69. Roliert Scott. [House, with Mr. Leveritt east and
south, the street west and north. Evidently on the corner of a lane,
presumable Pudding Lane, now Devonshire street. — W.H.W.]

G. 70. Robert Scott. [His lot No. 3, a garden, with T. Lev-
eritt east, H. Webb south, the liighway south and west. — "N7.H.W.]

G. 71. Henry Webb, [His lot No. 2, with J. Leveritt east,
the highway and R. Scott north, the lane west, and T. Oliver



Appendix. 101

south. This south boundary is a puzzle. It apparently' should be
"W. I'arsons (see next lot, G. 72), and Oliver does not seem to
have owned east of the 1 me. Perhaps Oliver had sold to Parsons,
and tlie old ownership remained in mind. — W.H.W.]

G. 72. William Parsons. [House and garden, with the lane
west, II. Webb north, J. iJavies east, and the Springate south. —
W.II.W.]

G. 73. James Davies. [House and garden, the Springate south,
T. Leverett north, W. Parsons west, the marsh east. — W.II.W.]

G. 74. John Spoore, house and garden. Spoore was called of
Clapton, Somersetshire, when he bought in 1G38, Mr, Wilke's
bouse and ground, — perhaps this lot. Somewhere hereabout, on
the Creek, the leather-dressers, in 1G43, were granted a place to
water their leather. Spoore mortgaged this property in 1G48, and
by some means we find Deacon Henry Bridgham in possession in
1055, who built, in 1G70, a mansion on the ground, and had his tan-
pits near by. He did not live, however, to move into the new house,
but died in the old one, in March, IG 70-71 ; and on the death of
his widow, in 1672, the propert}' passed to the sons, and in 1G80
was divided, the new house falling to Dr. John Bridgham, of Ips-
wich. The doctor died in 1721, and this house fell to his
nephew, Joseph Bridgham, a recent graduate of Harvard, but now
an apothecary in Harvard. Bridgham sold it in February, 1734-
35, to Francis Borland, for £1,2U0. Joseph Calef was a tenant
of the house, and plied his trade with the tan-pits. It was while
Calef was here that Congress street was laid out from Milk to
Water street. He died in September, 17G3, and the house and
grounds fell to Francis Lindall Borland, but afterwards came in
joint possession of John Borland, a brother of Francis Lindall,
and to the children of Wait Still AVinthrop, who had married a
daughter of Francis Borland. The remaining history of the house
falls later than the provincial times. It became the famous Julien
House, and its descent is traced at length b}- Shurtletf, Boston, Go9.

G. 75, William Ilibbens, gentleman, house, garden, and stable.
Somewhere between 74 and 75 on the AYater-street side, Major
John Walley had his mansion-house in the early part of the next
century, with wharf belonging, and land stretching through to
Milk street. Upon his death, in 1711, it descended to his son
John ; and on his death, in 1755, it was advertised as containing
" upwards of twent}' rooms." The present Devonshire street runs
through G. 75, and Avas early known as Joyliffe's lane, from John
Joyliffe, a prominent citizen, who lived upon it, and died in 17U1.
(Drake's Boston, 509.)

G. 76. Richard Sherman, house. His will, in 16G0, is printed
in N. E. Hist, and Geneal. Reg., July, 1855, p. 227. (See Ibid,
April, 18G4, p. 157, for the will of the widow Robinson, formerly
wife of Richard Sherman.) [Richard Sherman, house and garden,
with Mr. Ilibbins north and east, A. Haugh south, the Green west.
— Ay.H.AY.]

G. 77. The Spring-gate. [This was a spring and watering place,
probably reaching from AVashington street to Mr. Ilibhins' land.
Spring lane preserves the memory, and the great spring found ia



102 City Docuivient No. 46. — Part 2.

digging the foundations of the New Post Office is probably the
representative of the original. — W.H.AV.]

G. 78. Deacon Thomas Oliver, house and garden. (See his
relationship to the other OHvers in JSL E. Hint, avd Geneal. lieg.,
April, 18G5, p. 100.) Between this lot and Gov. Winthrop's well-
known house, on the line of the present Spring lane, was the
ancient spring-gate of the first comers. When, in the provincial
period. Water street was extended through this lot into the present
Washington street, on the northerly corner, at the sign of the
" Heart and Crown," Thomas Fleet, in 1731, had his printing
office, and here, in 1735, he began the publication of the Boston
Evening Post.

G. 79. Richard Fairbanks, house and garden; sold in 1652 to
Robert Turner, who later built a now house on the lot, which is
inentioued in his will {X. E. Hist, and Geneal. Reg., Jan., 1859, p.
11). Here at a later day the Blue Anchor was kept by George
Monck, whom Dunton celebrates in his Letters, and who extended
his career into the provincial days. (See Whitmore's note to
Record Commissioners' edition of Gleaner Articles, p. 18.) A peti-
tion from Joseph Willson for a license shows that this or another
tavern of the same name was called "Near Oliver's Dock" in
1755, and that it had been known as such for forty years, — a
lesser period than is true, certainly if it was not another hostlery.
It was the same tavern that Thomas Bayley petitioned for the
privilege of keeping in 1752.

G. 80. William Corser, house and garden. He is called in his
will, 1G73, Cosser, and, being " weak of bod3-," makes his mark to
it. His wife was Joanna.

G. 81. IMajor Robert Keayne, house and garden. This public-
spirited and somewhat eccentric citizen was a prominent merchant.
The signatures of the "overseers" of his remarkable will (an
abstract is given in N. E. Hist, and Geneal. Reg., Jan., 1852,
p. 89, etc.) are appended to a petition to the colony government in
1667, on file at the State House. {Mas>i. Archives, "Estates,"
Vol. I.) The most extended account of Keayne is found in Whit-
man's Ancient and Honorable ArtiUeri/ Conrpany, of which Keayne
was the leading charter member. On this spot, in provincial times,
Daniel Henchman kept his well-known book shop ; and in this
shop, later, Henry Knox was brought up. Nicholas Boone also
kept a book-shop on this lot in the earl}" part of the eighteenth
century.

G. 82. Mary, widoAV of Ralph Hudson, house. She died in
1651, and left £10 to the school. At this date she had two houses
on this lot, occupied b}" Nathaniel Duncan and John Tincker. {N.
E. Hist, and Geneal. Reg.. Jan., 1850, p. 54.) Near this spot, in
the next century, John Phillips kept a book-shop. Drake, Boston,
]). 566, gives an engraving of his sign. He died March 30, 1763.
(See Boston News-Letter, April 28, 1763.) [Mrs. Hudson's lot
is not specified in the Book. — W.H.W.]

G. 83. Henr}' Webb, house, with William Corser just south of
him on the lane. The will of Henry Webb, 1660, is given in
N. E. Hist, and Geneal. Reg., April, 1856, p. 177. His daughter



Appendix. 103

Margaret, Avidow of Jacob Sheaffc (whose inventory is given in
Be(jisie7% Jan, 185G, p. 84), inherited the "Mansion," and his
grandchild, Elizabeth Sheaffe, his wareliouse " now let out to build."



LOTS 84 TO 100, NORTH SIDE OF STATE STREET, FROM WASH-
INGTON STREET TO THE WATER-LINE, THENCE ALONG
THE COVE AND WASHINGTON STREET.

G. 84. John Cogan, house and shop. Cogan's will (given in
N. E. Hist, and Geneal. li'g., Jan., 1855, p. 35; also see 1877,
p. lOG) speaks of his mansion-house and the house adjoining (oc-
cupied by Goodman Bumstead), and two shops adjoining. One-
third of the property descended to his widow Martha, whom he had
married when, as the fourth wife of Governor Winthrop, she sur-
vived him. She was a sister of Increase Nowell of Charlestown,
and widow, when Winthrop married her, of Thomas Coitmore, of
the same town. Joseph Rocke married Ehzabeth, daughter of
Cogan.

G. 85. Rev. John Wilson, bouse, two gardens, yard, and barn,
bounding south on Wilson's lane, now widened and called Devon-
shire street. Wilson's will is given in N. E. Hist, and Geneal.
Rg., Oct., 1862, p. 343. In 1G41 he sold part to Sergeant John
Davies, the joiner, and provided that he should not be "annoyed
with any stincks ;" and Davies in 1G4G sold to Edmund Jackson,
from whom it passed to Ilczekiah Usher, the merchant of a later
day, who had removed from Cambridge to Boston in 1G4G. Usher's
inventory mentions a dwelling-house, garden, land, and "inward
warehouse," with lean-tos at the dock, — £700 ; the dwelling-house
that John Usher lives in, and " outward warehouse," by the town
dock, £570. His descendants are traced in N. E. Hist, and Geneal.
Reg., October, 18G9, p. 410.

G. 85. Anthony Stoddard, linendraper, who, in 1G44, was suf-
fered to open his " shop winclow board" two feet into the street,
and who bounded east on the "new street" (Exchange street).
In 1G44 he sold the northerly part, fronting on the new street, to
James Mattock the cooper, and jn the same year this portion
passed successively to John Synderland and to John Parker the
carpenter. In 1G4G, Stoddard, John Leverett joining with him,
sold the southerly part to Henry Shrimpton, brazier. His will,
IGGG, is in N. E. Hist, and Geneal. Reg., Jan., 18G1, p. 7G. It
was on this corner that the Royal Exchange Tavern stood at a
later day. Luke Vardy kept it in 1727, and he was succeeded in
1747 by Robert Stone, and in his time it was a resort of the British
officers' stationed in the town. It was in this house, in 1728, that
the altercation began which ended in the first duel fought in Bos-
ton, when Benjamin Woodbridgc was killed by Henry Phillips.
(See Shurtleff's Boston, p. 222.)

[From W. Franklin's lot, G. 98, it seems that he had Stoddard
and John Leverett south. Leverett's presumed lot is shown on
Lamb's map. — W.H. W.]



104 City Document No. 46. — Part 2.

G. 87. Valentine Hill ; sold to William Davies, and he, in 1645,
to Anthon}' Stoddard. This was the site of the States Arms Tav-
ern, and just before the Revolution the royal Custom-house was
here, Bartholomew Green living in the chambers over it.

G. 88. William Davies, Jr. [House with W. Pierce east and
north, V. Hill west, the street south. — W.H.W.]

G. 89. AViUiam Pierce, along the line of the present 'Change
Avenue. (See N. E. Hist, and Genml. Beg., 1878, p. 319.) On
the site forming the lower corner of this avenue, after the middle
of the next century, John Mein kept the London Bookstore, the
most considerable in tlie town ; and here he started the earliest



Online LibraryBoston (Mass.). Record CommissionersSecond report of the record commissioners of the city of Boston : containing the Boston records, 1634-1660, and the book of possessions → online text (page 31 of 35)