Boston (Mass.).

Municipal register : containing rules and orders of the City Council, the city charter and recent ordinances, and a list of the officers of the City of Boston, for .. (Volume 1896) online

. (page 5 of 24)
Online LibraryBoston (Mass.)Municipal register : containing rules and orders of the City Council, the city charter and recent ordinances, and a list of the officers of the City of Boston, for .. (Volume 1896) → online text (page 5 of 24)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


cuses, and the preparation of jury lists.

The Board appoints between the first and twentieth days of Septem-
ber, annually, a Warden, a Deputy Warden, a Clerk, a Deputy Clerk,
four Inspectors, and four Deputy Inspectors for each precinct (191 in
number, established by the Board of Aldermen), who serve for one
year from the first day of November following their appointment.
These officers must represent the leading political parties. [Stat.
1893, Chap. 447, § 106.]



ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT.

City Hall.
[Stat. 1895, Chap. 449, Eev. Orel., Chap. 12.]
William Jackson, City Engineer. Salary, $6,000.

The duties of the City Engineer include the designing and super-
intending the construction of. new bridges, retaining-walls, city
wharves, and such other public engineering works as the City Council
may authorize ; the making of such surveys, plans, estimates, state-
ments and descriptions, and taking such levels as the City Govern-
ment or any of its departments or committees may require ; the
custody of all surveys and plans relating to the laying out, locating
anew, altering, widening, or discontinuing of streets; and the new
engineering constructions for all departments of the city. He must
be consulted on all works where the advice of a civil engineer would
be of service. The office of City Engineer was established by ordinance
on October 31, 1850. Regular annual reports have been issued since
1868.



FIRE DEPARTMENT.

■ City building, Bristol Street.
[Stat. 1850, Chap. 262 ; Stat. 1895, Chap. 449, Eev. Orel., Chap. 14.]
Henry S. Russell, Commissioner. Term ends in 1898. Salary, $5,000.

The Boston Fire Department was organized in 1837, the Chief Engi-
neer publishing annual reports from 1838 until 1873. By the ordinance
of October 24, 1873, the department was placed under a Board of
three Fire Commissioners. At the present time the depaitment is in
charge of one Commissioner, who has entire control of the department,



FIRE DEPARTMENT. 117

a Chief, First and Second Assistant Chief, eleven District Chiefs, each
in charge of a Fire District, Superintendent of Fire-alarms, and officers,
enginemen, telegraph operators, etc. Annual reports have been pub-
lished since 1874.

Lewis P. Webber, Chief of Department.
John W. Regan, First Assistant Chief of Department.
William T. Cheswell, Second Assistant Chief of Department.
Brown S.Flanders, Superintendent of Fire-Alarms.
Cyrus A. George, Deputy Superintendent.

FIRE DISTRICTS AND CHIEFS.

District 1. Peter F. McDonough, Chief. All that part of Boston
known as East Boston.

Dist. 2. C. H. W. Pope, Chief. All that part of Boston formerly
known as Charlestown.

Dist. 3. John F. Egan, Chief. The territory bounded on the north
and east by the water front, on the south by Summer street, and on
the west by Washington and Charlestown streets.

Dist. 4. William T. Cheswell, Chief. The territory bounded on the
north by the Charles river, on the east by Charlestown and Washing-
ton streets, on the south by Winter, Park, and Beacon streets, and on
the west by the Charles river and Berkeley street.

Dist. 5. John F. Ryan, Chief The territory bounded on the north by
Beacon, Park, Winter, and Summer streets, on the east by Fort Point
channel, on the south and west by Broadway, Way, Motte, Castle,
Ferdinand streets, Columbus avenue, and Berkeley street.

Dist. 6. John A. Mullen, Chief. All that part of Boston known as
South Boston, and running south as far as Dorset and Locust streets.

Dist. 7. Patrick E. Keyes, Chief. The territory bounded on the
north by Berkeley street, Columbus avenue, Ferdinand, Castle, Motte,
and Way streets, and Broadway, on the east by Fort Point channel
and South bay, on the south by Massachusetts avenue, and on the
west by the Charles river.

Dist. 8. John Grady, Chief. The territory bounded on the north by
the Charles river and Massachusetts avenue, on the east by Washing-
ton street, on the south by the old boundary line between Roxbury
and West Roxbury, and on the west by the Brookline line, Beacon
and Deerfield streets.

Dist. 9. Edward H. Sawyer, Chief. The territory bounded on the
north by Massachusetts avenue, South Bay, Dorset and Locust streets,
on the east by Dorchester bay, on the south by Freeport, Hancock,
Bowdoin, Olney, and Columbia streets, and on the west by Blue Hill
avenue, Seaver and Washington streets.



118



MUNICIPAL REGISTER.



Dist. 10. W. A. Gaylord, Chief. That part of Dorchester bounded
on the north by Columbia, Olney, Bowdoin, Hancock, and Freeport
streets, on the east by Dorchester bay, on the south by the Neponset
river and the Hyde Park line, and on the west by Back street and Blue
Hill avenue.

Dist. 11. N. L. Hussey, Chief. All that part of Boston known as
Brighton, and extending east as far as Deerfield and Beacon streets.

Dist. 12. L. P. Abbott, Chief. All that part of Boston known as West
Roxbury, bounded on the north by the old boundary line between
Roxbury and West Roxbury and Seaver street, on the east by Blue
Hill avenue and Back street, on the south by the Hyde Park and Ded-
ham lines, and on the west by the Newton and Brookline lines.

STEAM FIRE-ENGINES.



1

3
4

«

7

S

9

lO

11
13
13
14

15

16

17

18

19

20

21
22

23
24



Location.



Dorchester street, cor. Fourth, S. B. . . .

Fourth, cor. O street, South Boston . . .
Harrison avenue, cor. Bristol street ....

Bulflnch street

Marion street, East Boston

Leverett street

East street .

Salem street

Paris street, East Boston

River, foot of Mt. Vernon street

Cor. Saratoga and Byron sts., East Boston,

Dudley street, Roxbury

Cabot street, Roxbury .

Centre street, Roxbury

Cor. Broadway and Dorchester avenue . .

Temple street, Dorchester

Meeting-House Hill, Dorchester

Harvard street, Dorchester

Norfolk street, Dorchester

Walnut street, Dorchester

Boston street, Dorchester

Dartmouth street

Northampton street

Cor. Warren and Quincy streets



Officers.



Robert E. Bartlett, Capt.

J. H. Ewers, Capt.
( D. W. Stevens, Capt.
( John O. Tabor, Lieut.
I John I. Quigley, Capt.
( P. Callahan, Lieut.

George A. Jones, Capt.
j J. T. Byron, Capt.
( John Readv, Lieut.

J. M. Garrity, Capt.
( J. J. O'Connor, Lieut.
( J. S. Kenney, Capt.
/ R. A. Ritchie, Lieut.

E. B. Smith. Capt.

( James P. Dean, Capt.
) R. W. Adams, Lieut.

C. E. Phoenix, Capt.

B. McCarthy, Capt.

Henry J. Hart, Capt.

Daniel F. Sennott, Capt.

( C. P. Smith, Capt.
/ S. J. Ryder, Lieut.

Edwin R. Merrill, Capt.

Alexander Glover, Capt.

I. A. Williams, Capt.

George F. Fenno, Capt.

William G. Blanchard, Capt.

F. E. Hibbard.Capt.

\ Charles F. Poor, Capt.
j M. J. Mulligan, Lieut.

M. Walsh, Capt.
i H. Sawyer, Lieut.

James H. Le Favor, Capt.



FIRE DEPARTMENT.



119



STEAM FIRE-ENGINES, concluded.



Number.


Location.


Officers.


25

U<» and 35 .




( C. H. Leary, Capt.




) Henry A. Fox, Lieut.
( J.F. O'Connell, Capt.
! Martin A. Dunn, Lieut.




( M. J. Lawlor, Lieut.






G. F. Titus, Capt.


28


Centre street, West Roxbury


George B. Reiley, Capt.


29




Joseph M.. Gargan, Capt.


30


Mt. Vernon street, West Roxbury ....


James B. Prescott, Capt.


32


Bunker Hill street, Charlestown


S. L. Low, Capt.


33

34




(R.B. Handy, Capt.
\ Thomas J. Lannery, Lieut.
\ George W. Frost, Capt.
( H. P. Pitcher, Lieut.




36




C. 0. Poland, Capt.


37 .....

38 and 39 .
40




H. D. Smith, Capt.




( J. H. Victory, Capt.

\ Charles Ingersoll, Lieut.




( M. J. Keunedy, Lieut.
J. H. Elliott, Capt.


41




G. F. Griffin, Capt.






1 William Childs, Capt.
\ Maurice Heffernan, Lieut.






43




George J. Wall, Capt.






( B. F. Healey, Capt.
| M. C. Leonard, Lieut.


45


See same as Ladder 16.





LADDER CARRIAGES.

No. 1. Warren square. A. R. Johnson, Captain; T. B. Flannagan,
Lieutenant.

No. 2. Paris street, East Boston. John W. Godbold, Captain.

No. 3. Harrison avenue, corner of Bristol street. William. Coulter.
Captain; E. D. Locke, Lieutenant.

No. 4. Dudley street, Roxbury. C. H. Webber, Captain; M. J.
Cronin, Lieutenant.

No. 5. Fourth, near Dorchester street. E. A. Perkins, Captain;
E. H. Whitney, Lieutenant.

No. 6. Temple street, Dorchester. George S. Bourne, Call Captain.

No. 7. Meeting-house Hill, Dorchester. F. W. Webber, Lieutenant.

No. 8. Fort Hill square. J. M. Littleton, Captain ; T. M. McLaugh-
lin, Lieutenant.

No. 9. Main street, Charlestown. Thomas W. Conway, Captain.



120 MUNICIPAL REGISTER. .

No. 10. Centre street, Jamaica Plain. In charge of Engine 28.

No. 11. Chestnut Hill avenue, Brighton. Peter Murphy, Lieutenant.

No. 12. Tremont street, Roxbury. J. P. McManus, Captain,',
James P. Bowles, Lieutenant.

No. 13. Washington, near Dover street. W. J. Gaffey, Lieutenant.
Turn-table truck.

No. 14. Fort Hill square, in charge of Ladder No. 8. Turn-table truck.

No. 15. Boylston and Hereford streets. Casper H. Moning, Cap-
tain ; J. S. Cleverly, Lieutenant. Turn-table truck.

No. 16. Washington street, Roslindale. Thomas P. Lally, Lieu-
tenant.

No. 17. Harrison avenue. Charles T. Adams, Captain; E. J. Shal-
low, Lieutenant.

HORSE HOSE-CARRIAGE.

Hose No. 3. Winthrop street, Charlestown. Owen Tulley, in
charge.

CHEMICAL ENGINES.

No. 1 . Bulfinch street, in charge of Engine 4.

No. 2. Church street. John E. Madison, Lieutenant.

No. 3. Longwood avenue. T. H. Weltch, Lieutenant.

No. 4. Shawmut avenue. W. P. Marshall, Lieutenant.

No. 5. Egleston square, in charge of Engine 42.

No. 6. North Harvard street, Allston. E. T. Smith, Lieutenant.

No. 7. Chelsea street, East Boston. John Neal, LAeutenant.

No. 8. B street, South Boston. J. J. Flanagan, Lieutenant.

No. 9. Main street, Charlestown. John E. Cassidy, Lieutenant.

No. 10. Eustis street, Roxbury. Joseph Smith, Lieutenant.

No. 11. North Grove street. H. W. Adams, Lieutenant.

OTHER APPARATUS.

Combination wagon No. 1. Ashmont. S. F. Ridler, Lieutenant.

Combination wagon No. 2. Fourth, near K streets, South Boston.
J. W. Murphy, Lieutenant.

Water tower No. 1. Bulfinch street, in charge of Engine 4.

Water tower No. 2. Fire headquarters, Bristol street. Joseph H.
Kenney, Lieutenant.

Wrecking wagon. Fire headquarters, Bristol street.



HEALTH DEPARTMENT. 121

HEALTH DEPARTMENT.

Old Court House.

[Stat. 1854, Chap. 448, § 40; Chap. 43, $$ 1-28, Stat. 1895, Chap. 449; Rev. Orel.

Chap. 15.]

BOARD OF HEALTH.

Samuel H. Durgin, Chairman.
Charles E. Davis, Jr., Secretary.

COMMISSIONERS.

George F. Babbitt. Term ends in 1897. Salary, $4,000.
Edwin L. Pilsbury. Term ends in 1898. Salary, $-4,000.
Samuel H. Durgin, M.D. Term ends in 1899. Salary, $4,500.

The first Board of Health in Boston was established in 1799, under
the special statute of February 13, 1799. The first pollected edition of
the statutes under which this Board acted was published in 1811, and
contained also the regulations of the Board. This Board had in sub-
stance the same powers as the present Board of Health, and was abol-
ished by the first city charter. From 1822 to 1873 the functions of the
Board were exercised through the City Council. The present Board of
Health was established by the ordinance of December 2, 1872, and has
published annual reports since 1873.

William G. Macdonald, M.D., Physician to Board of Health. Office,

Room No. 11, Old Court House. Salary, $2,000.
David D. Brough, M.D., Port Physician. Resident at Deer Island.

Salary, $1,200.
Thomas B. Shea, M.D., Geo. A. Sargent, M.D., Medical Inspectors.
Charles Harrington, Health Inspector for the Inspection oj Milk and

Vinegar. Salary, $3,000.
Alexander Burr, Health Inspector for the Inspection of Provisions

and Animals. Salary, $2,200.
John C. Grouse, Health Inspector for the Inspection of Provisions.

Salary, $1,500.

quarantine grounds.
The Quarantine Grounds comprise that part ot Boston harbor known
as the President Roads, lying between Long, Deer, and Spectacle
Islands. The steamer "Vigilant," George T. Ranlett, Captain, em-
ployed in the quarantine service, is subject to the orders of the Board
of Health.

bath-houses.

By an ordinance passed December 27, 1879, the Board of Health was
appointed, and invested with authority to carry into effect the provisions



122 MUNICIPAL REGISTER.

of Chapter 214 of the Statutes of 1874, entitled "An act to authorize
cities and towns to erect and maintain public baths and wash-houses,"
which act was accepted by the city on January 2, 1875. Seventeen free
bath-houses have been established, open daily from June 1 to Sep-
tember 30.

MORGUE.

The City Morgue is located on North Grove street. F. L. Briggs,
Superintendent. Salary,



CEMETERIES.

The following is a list of the Burial Grounds in charge of the Boai-d
of Health :

Bennington street, East Boston.

Bunker Hill, Charlestown.

Phipps street, Charlestown.

Copp's Hill, Charter and Hull streets, Boston.

King's Chapel, Tremont, near School street.

Granary, Tremont street, opposite Bromfield.

Central, Common.

South, Washington and E. Concord streets.

Eliot, Washington and Eustis streets.

Warren, Kearsarge avenue, Roxbury.

Walter street, Walter street, Roslindale.

Westerly, Centre, near LaGrange street, West Roxbury.

Evergreen, South street, Brighton.

Market street, Market street, Brighton.

Dorchester North, Upham's Corner.

Dorchester South, Dorchester avenue, opposite Brooks street.

Hawes, Emerson street, corner of L street.



SCHOOL INSPECTORS AND AGENTS, BOARD OF HEALTH.

The following physicians have been duly appointed :

H. D. Arnold, 188 Warren St., Roxbury.

S. H. Ayer, 318 Shawmut ave.

W. B. Bancroft, 597 Broadway.

W. S. Beaumont, 23 Alveston St., Jamaica Plain.

W. S. Boardman, 7 Bowdoin sq.

J. P. Broidrick, 67 South St., Jamaica Plain.

John S. Brownrigg, 16 Delle ave., Roxbury.

A. B. Coffin, 506 Washington St., Dorchester.



HEALTH DEPARTMENT. 123



R. M. Cole, 456 Broadway.

D. A. Collins, 11 Pavmenter st.

Geo. A. Craigin, 405 Marlboro' st.

J. T. Cutler, 633 Warren St., Roxbury.

Frank E. Bateman, Dexter Row, Charlestown .

J. R. Draper, 512 Broadway.

John Duff, 5 Dexter row, Charlestown.

J. E. Butler, 310 Warren St., Roxbury.

D. G. Eldredge, 15 Monadnock st., Dorchester.
Wm. H. Ensworth, 7 Chelsea St., East Boston.
Wm. E. Fay, 571 Tremont st.

J. W. Dewis, 579 Tremont st.

Wm. H. Grainger, 408 Meridian St., East Boston.

E. M. Greene, 49 Hancock st.

J. S. Greene, 1107 Washington st., Dorchester.

E. M. Holden, 203 Huntington ave., Charlestown.

F. C. Jillson, Hastings St., W. Roxbury.
A. S. Knight, 295 Beacon st.

H. E. Marion, 5 Sparhawk St., Brighton.

O. H. Marion, 22 Harvard St., Allston.

Wm. J. MeNally, 172 Bunker Hill st., Charlestown.

R. M. Merrick, 15 Adams st., Dorchester.

G. P. Morris, 599 Broadway.

T. J. Murphy, 372 Dudley st., Roxbury.

E. H. Nichols: 220 Marlboro 1 st.

J. F. O'Brien, 401 Bunker Hill st., Charlestown.

Edw. F. O'Shea, 40 Chelsea st., East Boston.

J. C. D. Pigeon, 130 Warren st., Roxbury.

H. L. Plummer, 696 Saratoga st.

W. H. Prescott, 285 Marlboro 1 st.

H. S. Rowen, 237 Market St., Brighton.

J. H. Sherman, 534 Broadway.

H. L. Smith, 156 Newbury st.

F. W. Stuart, 550 Broadway.
Robert Swift, South St., Roslinclale.
W. F. Temple, 240 Huntington ave.
J. M. Thompson, 33 Hollis st.

A. H. Tompkins, 20 Seaverns ave., Jamaica Plain.

E. A. Tracy, 99 Broadway.

E. T. Twitchell, 35 Alban st., Dorchester.

Geo. A. Webster, 708 Tremont st.



124 MUNICIPAL REGISTER.

HOSPITAL DEPARTMENT.

Hospital, Harrison Avenue.

[Stat: 1880, Chap. 174; Rev. Orel., Chap. 16; Stat. 1893, Chap. 91.]

BOARD OF TRUSTEES.

A. Shuman, President.
Conrad J. Rueter, Secretary.

trustees.
William A. Dunn, M.D. Term ends in 1897.
Conrad J. Rueter. Term ends in 1898.
Henry H. Sprague. Term ends in 1899.
A. Shuman. Term ends in 1900.
Michael J. Dwyer. Term ends in 1901.

The Trustees have charge of The Boston City Hospital, on the south-
east side of Harrison avenue, opposite Worcester square, occupying
four city squares between East Concord street, Albany street, Northamp-
ton street, and Harrison avenue. The Hospital was begun September 9,
1861. It consists of many pavilions, connected with the central structure.
This hospital was established for the reception of those in need of tem-
porary relief during illness or from injuries ; the Trustees have also
charge of the South Department for infectious diseases, and the Con-
valescent Home at 2150 Dorchester avenue, Milton Lower Mills.

The Trustees published annual reports since 1865 ; and seven vol-
umes of Medical and Surgical Reports have been issued.

The Trustees are incorporated by Chap. 174 of the Acts of 1880, and
Chap. 91 of the Acts of 1893, as The Boston City Hospital, and are
authorized to receive and hold real and personal estate bequeathed or
devised to said corporation to an amount not exceeding $1,000,000.
George H. M. Rowe, M.D., Superintendent and Resident Physician.

Residence and office in the Hospital. Salary, $4,000.

MEDICAL and surgical staff.

Consulting Physicians and Surgeons. — Benjamin E. Cotting, M.D.,
William Ingalls, M.D., Alexander D. Sinclair, M.D., W. C. B. Fifield,
M.D.

Visiting Physicians. — George B. Shattuck, M.D., A. L. Mason,
M.D., Charles F. Folsom, M.D., E. M. Buckingham, M.D., F. H. Will-
iams, M.D., C. F. Withington, M.D.

Visiting Physicians for Diseases of Women. — John G. Blake, M.D.,
C. M. Green, M.D.

Senior Visiting Surgeon. — David W. Cheever, M.D.



HOSPITAL DEPARTMENT. 125

Visiting Surgeons. — George W. Gay, M.D., William P. Bolles,
M.D., Abner Post, M.D., M. F. Gavin, M.D., H. L. Burrell, M.D.,
Francis S. Watson, M.D.

Visiting Ophthalmic Surgeon. — Oliver F. Wadswortk, M.D.

Visiting Aural Surgeon. ■ — J. Orne Green, M.D.

Visiting Pathologist. — W. T. Councilman, M.D.

Assistant Visiting Surgeons. — H. W. Cushing, M.D., George H.
Monks, M.D., H. L. Smith, M.D.

Assistant Visiting Physicians. — Vincent Y. Bowditch, M.D., Henry-
Jackson, M.D., George G. Sears, M.D.

Physicians to Out-Patients. — John L. Morse, M.D., Carroll E. Edson,
M.D., John L. Ames, M.D.

Surgeons to Out-Patients'. — Robert W. Lovett, M.D., John C. Munro,
M.D., Paul Thorndike, M.D., Edwin W. Dwight, M.D., J. Baps.t Blake,
M.D., FredB. Lund, M.D.

Physician for Diseases of Women to Out-Patients . — George Haven,
M.D. Assistants. — Edward Reynolds, M.D., Frank A. Higgins, M.D.

Physicians for Diseases of the Skin. — James S. Howe, M.D.,
George F. Harding, M.D. Assistant. — Harvey P. Towle, M.D.

Surgeons for Diseases of the Eye to Out-Patients . — Edwin E. Jack,
M.D., Walter B. Lancaster, M.D., John C. Bossidy, M.D. Assistant.
— Alex. Quackenboss, M.D.

Surgeons for Diseases of the Ear to Out-Patients. — George A. Leland,
M.D., Ernest E. Doble, M.D. Assistant. — Edgar M. Holmes, M.D.

Physicians fdr Diseases of the Throat. — Thomas Amory DeBlois.
M.D., J. W. Farlow, M.D. Assistant. — George A. Leland, M.D.

Physicians for Diseases of the Nervous System. — Morton Prince,
M.D., Philip Coombs Knapp, M.D., William N. Bullard, M.D. Assist-
ants. — John J. Thomas, M.D., Joseph W. Courtney, M.D.

Assistant Pathologists. — F. H. Mallory, M.D., James H. Wright, M.D.
Resident Assistant Pathologists . — Timothy Leary, M.D., Richard M.
Pearce, M.D.
Assistant in Clinical Pathology. — J. Bergen Ogden, M.D.
Medico-Legal Pathologist. — F. W. Draper, M.D.
Medical Registrar. — A. S. Knight, M.D.
Surgical Registrar. — C. M. Whitney, M.D.

SOUTH DEPARTMENT.

Resident Physician. — John H. McCollom, M.D.

Assistant Resident Physicians. — Frederick W. Pearl, M.D., Frank L.
Morse, M. D.

Physicians to the Convalescent Home. — C. Ellery Stedman, M.D.,
Daniel D. Gilbert, M.D., Edward T. Twitchell, M.D.



126 municipal register.



INSTITUTIONS DEPARTMENT.

14 Beacon street.

[Stat. 1889, Chap. 245; Rev. Ord.,. Chap. 31, Stat. 1895, Chap. 449; Stat. 1896,

Chap. 536.]

Alfred B. Heath, M.D., Institutions Commissioner. Term ends in

1898. Salary, 85,000.

From 1857 to 1885 the institutions were in charge of a Board of
Directors, twelve in number : from 1885 to 1889 the Board consisted of
nine members: from 1889 to 1895, in charge of the Board of Commis-
sioners of Public Institutions, three in number. By Chap. -149 of the
Acts of 1895, the department was placed under the charge of one com-
missioner.

The institutions under the charge of the Commissioner may be
classed under three heads : First, penal and reformatory, namely, the
House of Correction at South Boston, the House of Correction at Deer
Island, the House of Reformation, and the Parental School: second, the
almshouses, namely, Long Island for men and women, the almshouse
at Charlestown for both sexes, and the Marcella-street Home for
Neglected Children : third, the Boston Insane Hospital, at "West Rox-
bury. The Department has charge of in-door relief, and was branched
off from the Overseers of the Poor, who give out-door relief, in 1823.

The Commissioner has also charge of the steamer " J. Putnam
Bradlee," which is used to carry inmates of the institutions to Deer,
Long, and Rainsford Island : Oliver W. Bowden, Captain.

The publications of the Department begin in 1824, and are very
numerous. The combined annual reports for the institutions named
begin in 1858.

Edwix W. Dwight, M.D., Assistant Commissioner.
Hubert Pope, Secretary.

BOSTOX INSANE HOSPITAL, WEST ROXBURY.

Edward B. Laxe, M.D., Superintendent. Salary, $2,500.

"William Notes, M.D., Superintendent Pierce Farm. Salary, $2,000.

Howard James, M.D., Assistant Physician Pierce Farm. Salary,

$1,000.
L. A. Roberts, M.D., Assistant\Physician Austin Farm. Salary, 81,000.

BOSTOX ALMSHOUSE AND HOSPITAL AT LOXG ISLAXD.

Charles H. Cogswell, M.D., Superintendent and Physician. Salary,

82,500.
Paul Carson, M.D. Assistant Physician. Salary, $1,000.
Chaxdler Eastmax, Superintendent Almshouse at Charlestown.

Salary, $1,300.



LAMP DEPARTMENT. 127

PARENTAL SCHOOL AT WEST ROXBURY.

Moses J. Perkins, Superintendent. Salary, $1,200.

HOME FOR NEGLECTED CHILDREN, MARCELLA STREET.

Wm. A. White, M.D., Superintendent and Physician. Salary, $2,000.

HOUSE OF REFORMATION FOR JUVENILE OFFENDERS AT RAINSFOKD

ISLAND.

Lorenzo D. Perkins, Superintendent. Salary, $1,500.

HOUSE OF CORRECTION, SOUTH BOSTON.

John C. Whiton, Master. Salary, $2,500.

William A. Witham, Deputy Master. Salary, $1,500.

Alfred Spear, Clerk. Salary, $1,000.

S. Stanley Searlng, Chaplain. Salary, $1,300.

Winfred B. Bancroft, Physician. Salary, $1,000.

HOUSE OF CORRECTION AT DEER ISLAND.

James R. Gerrish, Superintendent. Salary, $2,500.

George W. Shepardson, Assistant Superintendent. Salary, $1,200.

Thomas F. Roche, Resident Physician. Salary, $1,800.

Rev. William B. Toulmin, Chaplain, and Superintendent of Schools

at Rainsford Island. Salary, $1,650, of which about $350 is received

from the income of the Mason Fund.



LAMP DEPARTMENT.

City Hall.
[Stat. 1825, Chap. 3 ; Rev. Orel., Chap. 21.]
James Buckner, Superintendent of Lamps. Salary, $3,500.

The Department was hrst legalized by the statute of June 29, 1773.
The office of Superintendent of Lamps, actually filled since 1843, was
fixed by the ordinance of October 26, 1869. The department was sep-
arated from the Police in 1854. Annual reports of the department have
been published since 1870.



128



MUNICIPAL REGISTER.



The public lamps are distributed in the various sections of the city as
follows :



City Proper .
RoxburjV . .
Dorchester .
West Roxbury
South Boston
Charlestown ■
East Boston .
Brighton . . .

Totals . .



Gas
Lamps.



1,616
1,487
1,572

987
464
517
429
510



,592



Electric

Arc
Lights.



8S1
422
233
183
260
175
146
134



Naphtha
Lamps.



2,434



757

1,117

329



151
223



2,976



Incandes-
cent Lights.



Total.



2,596

1,926

2,562

2,287

1,060

692

726

881



12,730



LAW DEPARTMENT.



14 Beacon street.



Rev. Ord., Chap. 22.



Andrew J. Bailey, Corporation Counsel. Appointed annually. Sal-
ary, $7,500.

Thomas M. Babson, City Solicitor. Appointed annually. Salary,
$7,500.
The office of " Attorney and Solicitor for the City of Boston" was

established by the ordinance of June 18, 1827 ; the office of Corporation

Counsel and the office of City Solicitor by the ordinance of March 30,

1881. The Department is under the charge of the Corporation Counsel

and the City Solicitor jointly.



Online LibraryBoston (Mass.)Municipal register : containing rules and orders of the City Council, the city charter and recent ordinances, and a list of the officers of the City of Boston, for .. (Volume 1896) → online text (page 5 of 24)