Boston (Mass.).

Municipal register : containing rules and orders of the City Council, the city charter and recent ordinances, and a list of the officers of the City of Boston, for .. (Volume 1896) online

. (page 6 of 24)
Online LibraryBoston (Mass.)Municipal register : containing rules and orders of the City Council, the city charter and recent ordinances, and a list of the officers of the City of Boston, for .. (Volume 1896) → online text (page 6 of 24)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Frederick E. Hurd, Assistant Solicitor. Salary, $4,200.

John T. Wheelwright, Assistant Counsel. Salary, $4,000.

Samuel H. Hudson, Assistant Solicitor. Salary, $3,500.

Samuel M. Child, Assistant Solicitor. Salary, $2,500.

Charles F. Day and Roscoe P. Owen, City Conveyancers. Salaries,
$3,500 each.

Fisher Ames, Clerk. Salary, $2,000.



LIBRARY DEPARTMENT. 129

LIBRARY DEPARTMENT.

Library Building, Copley Square.
[Stat. 1878, Chap. 114; Rev. Orel., Chap. 23.]

Frederick O. Prince, President.
Francis A. Walker, Vice-President.
Herbert Putnam, Librarian ; Salary, $6,000.

BOARD OF TRUSTEES.

Henry P. Bowditch. Term ends in 1897.
Frederick O. Prince. Term ends in 1898.
Josiah H. Benton, Jr. Term ends in 1899.
James De Normandie. Term ends in 1900.
Francis A. Walker. Term ends in 1901.

The Trustees of the Public Library of the City of Boston are, one each
year, five in number, appointed by the Mayor for a term of five years,
incorporated by an act of the General Court passed April 4, 1878, and
are authorized to receive and hold real and personal estate which may
be given, granted, bequeathed or devised to the said corporation, to
an amount not exceeding $1,000,000. The first trustees were appointed
under the ordinance of October 14, 1852. The old Library Building on
Boylston street was opened to the public in September, 1858, and closed
finally in January, 1895. The new Library Building on Copley square
was first opened on March 11, 1895. The annual reports, the first of
which appeared in 1853, have been continued without interruption.

Of the Quarterly Bulletins, which were begun in 1867, fourteen
volumes have been published. A Monthly Bulletin is now issued. The
Trustees have issued also general and special catalogues of the Central
Library, and of its Branches and special collections, as well as hand-
books for visitors, and other documents.

GENERAL LIBRARY.

The total number of volumes in the Public Library and all its
Branches on January 31, 1896, is 628,297 ; number of periodicals, 1,700.

CENTRAL LIBRARY, COPLEY SQUARE.

Lending and Reference, 469,874 volumes; Periodical Reading-
room, 1,200 periodicals ; Newspaper Reading-room, 306 current news-
papers ; Patent Library, 5,733 volumes.

Open from 9 A.M. to 10 P.M ; Sundays from 2 to 10 P.M. Closed at
9 P.M. during June, July, August, and September.

BRANCH LIBRARIES AND DELIVERY STATIONS.

The Branch Libraries are open on week days from 9 A.M. to 8 P.M.
Saturdays to 9 P.M. During June, July, and August, closed at 6 P.M.,



130 MUNICIPAL REGISTER.

except Saturdays. Each Branch has a library of its own, and issues
books for home use. Certain Delivery Stations now contain small col-
lections of books on temporary deposit, and subject to change from
time to time. Books from the Central Library may be applied for at
all Branches and Deliveries, with the expectation of receiving them on
day of application.

Brighton Branch, 15,583 volumes. Reading-room, 52 periodicals.
Holton Library Building, Rockland street.

Charlestown Branch, 29,575 volumes. Reading-room, 67
periodicals. Old City Hall, City square.

Dorchester Branch, 15,241 volumes. Reading-room, 54 period-
icals. Arcadia, corner Adams street.

East Boston Branch, 12,124 volumes. Reading-room, 54 period-
icals. Old Lyman School Building, 37 Meridian street.

Jamaica Plain Branch, 12,131 volumes. Reading-room, 57
periodicals. Curtis Hall, Centre street.

Roxbury Branch, 34,495 volumes. Reading-room, 97 periodicals.
46 Millmont street.

Socth Boston Branch, 13,455 volumes. Reading-room, 77 periodi-
cals. 372 West Broadway.

South End Branch, 12,849 volumes. Reading-room, 60 periodicals.
English High School Building, Montgomery street.

West End Branch, 8,419 volumes. Reading-room, 64 periodicals.
Cambridge, corner Lynde street.

Station A. Lower Mills Reading Room. 8 to 9 A.M., 4 to 8
P.M. Closed from 6 to 7, except Thursdays. Reading-room, 18 periodi-
cals. Washington, near River street.

Station B. Roslindale Delivery. All day. 25 Poplar street.

Station C. West Roxbury Branch and Delivery. 8 to 10 A.M.,
3 to 6 P.M. 3,976 volumes. Reading-room, 8 periodicals. Centre,
near Mt. Vernon street.

Station D. Mattapan Reading-Room. 8 to 10 A.M., 3 to 8 P.M.
Closed from 6 to 7. Reading-room, 24 periodicals. River, corner Oak-
land street.

Station E. Neponset Delivery. All day. 49 Walnut street.

Station F. Mt. Bowdoin Delivery and Reading-Room. 8.30
to 9.30 A.M., 3 to 9 P.M. Closed from 6 to 7 P.M. Reading-room, 23
periodicals. Washington, corner Eldon street.

Station G. Allston Delivery. All day. Closed from 12 to 1.
14 Franklin street.

Station H. Ashmont Delivery. All day. 4 Talbot avenue.

Station J. Dorchester Station Delivery. All day. 1 Milton
avenue.



MOUNT HOPE CEMETERY DEPARTMENT. 131

Station K. Bird Street Delivery. All day. 6 Wayland street.

Station L. North Brighton Reading-Room. 4 to 8 P.M. Read-
ing-room, 29 periodicals. 535 Western avenue.

Station M. Crescent Avenue Delivery. All day. 940 Dorches-
ter avenue.

Station N. Blue Hill Avenue Delivery. All day. 200 Blue
Hill avenue.

Station P. Harrison Avenue Delivery. 8 to 9.30 A.M., 4 to 9
P.M. 177 Han-ison avenue.

Station Q. Upham's Corner Delivery. All day. Saturday,
to 10 P.M. 756 Dudley street.

Station R. Warren Street Delivery. All day. 329 Warren
street.



MARKET DEPARTMENT.

Faneuil Hall Market.
[Rev. Ord., Chaps. 24, 43, §§ 60-66.]
George E. McKay, Superintendent of Markets. Salary, $3,000.

Faneuil Hall Market, proposed in Mayor Quincy's message of July
31, 1823, and completed in 1826, was under the charge of a clerk of the
Market until the ordinance of September 9, 1852, established the office
of Superintendent.



MOUNT HOPE CEMETERY DEPARTMENT.

Old Court House.

[Stat. 1849, Chap. 150 ; 1872, Chap. 197 ; Eev. Ord., Chap. 25.]

BOARD OF TRUSTEES.

J. Albert Brackett, Chairman.
Franklin D. Rideout, Secretary.

TRUSTEES.

J. Albert Brackett, John H. Collamore,

Charles M. Bromwich, William J. Fallon,

Jacob Morse.

This Cemetery, now containing 106f acres, situated in Ward 23,
West Roxbury, is under the care and control of a Board of Trustees,
live in number, appointed annually. The Board of Trustees has pub-
lished annual reports since 1859.

Mt. Hope Cemetery was bought by the city in 1857 for $35,000, and
additional land has been purchased since then. The Board of Trustees
was first appointed under the ordinance of December 21, 1857.



132 MUNICIPAL REGISTER.

OVERSEEING OF THE POOR DEPARTMENT.

Charity Building, Chardon street.
[Stat. 1864, Chap. 128; Rev. Ord., Chap. 26.]
OVERSEERS OF THE POOR.

William P. Fowler, Chairman.

Benjamin Pettee, Secretary. Salary, $3,500.

OVERSEERS.

Term ends in 1897.

Richard C. Humphreys, Annette P. Rogers,

John Lamb, J ohn Turner . J £±.

Term ends in 1898.

William P. Fowler, < Thomas Sproules,

Charles F. Parker, Edith P. Wolcott.

Term ends in 1899.

Isaac T. Campbell, Charles Logue,

Henry V. Cunningham, Rachel E. S. Thorndike.

Frederic W. Lincoln, Treasurer. Salary, $1,000.

The Overseers of the Poor in the Town of Boston, a corporation
established in 1772, were, by act of the Legislature, in 1864, succeeded by
the corporation called the " Overseers of the Poor in the City of Boston,"
consisting of twelve residents of Boston, four of whom are appointed
annually within sixty clays from the first Monday in February, to serve
for the term of three years from the first day of May. The Board has
issued annual reports since 1865.

The Board meets on the first Wednesday of every month, at the office
in the Charity Building, Chardon street.

The Overseers of the Poor -are also incorporated as a Board of
Trustees of John Boylston's and other charitable funds, left for the
assistance of persons of good character and advanced age " Avho have
been reduced by misfortune to indigence and want."

A Lodge for Wayfarers who apply at station-houses for accommo-
dations has been established in Hawkins street, where work of some
kind is exacted as the equivalent for food and shelter.



PARK DEPARTMENT. 133

PARK DEPARTMENT.

53 State street.
[Stat. 1875, Chap. 185; Rev. Ord'., Chap. 27.]
BOARD OF PARK COMMISSIONERS.

Edward C. Hodges, Chairman.
George F. Clarke, Secretary.

commissioners.
Laban Pratt. Term ends in 1897.
Edward C. Hodges. Terra ends in 1898.
Charles E. Stratton. Term ends in 1899.

Power to establish parks in this city was granted by the Common
wealth on May 6, 1875, subject to acceptance by the people. This act
was accepted by a vote of the citizens on June 9, 1875. Yeas, 3,706 ;
nays, 2,311. The first Board of Park Commissioners was appointed on
July 8, 1875, and confirmed on July 15, 1875.

PUBLIC parks.

Arborway 36 acres

Arnold Arboretum and Bussey Park 223 "

Back Bay Fens 115 "

Charlesbank . . . . . . . . . . 10 "

Charlestown Heights 10 "

Charlestown Playground 18 "

Commonwealth Avenue 30 "

Dorchesterway • 6 "

Dorchester Park 26 "

Franklin Field 77 "

Franklin Park . . . . - 527 "

Jamaica Park ......... 120 "

Leverett Park 60 "

Marine Park, City Point, South Boston (including Castle

Island) . 288 "

Playstead, North Brighton 14 "

Public Park, North End 7 "

Riverway . . . . . . . . . . 40 "

Strandway 194 "

West Roxbury Parkway ....... 150 "

Wood Island Park, East Boston, land and flats . . . 211 "

Total 2,162 "

The total cost for park purposes to January 31, 1896, is $13,-
309,240.18, expended as follows: for land, $6,030,784.23; for con-
struction, $7,265,099.85; for betterment expenses, $13,356.10.

The Arnold Arboretum contained originally 122.6 acres, belonging to
Harvard University. This, together with other land, was taken by the



134 MUNICIPAL REGISTER.

Park Commissioners for a public park, and 122 acres were leased to
the University, under perpetual lease, to be used only for the purposes
of an arboretum, under the trusts created by the wills of Benjamin
Bussey and of James Arnold. Arnold Arboretum and Bussey Park
was enlarged in 1895 by the addition of about 68 acres of the Bussey
land on Peters' Hill, belonging to Harvard College. All the land in
this tract not needed for driveways, a quarry reservation and traffic
road, was leased to Harvard College as a part of the Arboretum.
The Arboretum is open to visitors daily from 7 A.M. until sunset. The
Park Commissioners have charge also of Commonwealth avenue, be-
tween Arlington and Beacon streets, and the following named bridges
which are in these public parks :

THE FENS. »

Agassiz, carrying Agassiz road over the Fens water.
Boylston, carrying Boylston road over outlet of the Fens.
Charlesgate, over Boston and Albany Railroad.
Commonwealth Avenue, over outlet of the Fens.
Fen, over outlet of Muddy river.
Stony Brook, over outlet of Stony Brook.

RIVER WAY.

Audubon, over Newton circuit of Boston and Albany Railroad.

1 Bellevue, on extension of Bellevue street across Muddy river to

Aspinwall avenue.
Bridal path, carrying the ride across Muddy river near Audubon road.
Brookline avenue, over Muddy river.
Chapel Bridges, over ride and river, near Bernier street.
1 Tremont street, over Muddy river.

LEVERETT PARK.

Foot-bridges, at Leverett pond and over outlets of Willow pond and
Ward's pond.

ARBOR WAY.

Railroad Bridge, near Forest Hills.

Stony Brook, temporary bridge over Stony brook.

FRANKLIN park.
Ellicott arch, carrying walk under Circuit drive.
Forest Hills, entrance to Franklin Pai'k, over traffic road.
Scarboro, carrying the Circuit drive over Scarboro pond.
Scarboro pond, foot-bridge carrying the walk over Scarboro pond.

1 The department constructed and maintains the parts of these bridges within the city
limits.



PUBLIC BUILDINGS DEPARTMENT. 135

MARINE PARK.

1 Castle Island, temporary bridge to Castle Island.

WOOD ISLAND PARK.

Neptune, carrying Neptune road over Boston, Revere Beach and Lynn
Railroad.



PRINTING DEPARTMENT.

City Hall.
[Rev. Orel., Chap. 28.]
Thomas A. Whalen, Superintendent of Printing. Salary, $8,000.

The Superintendent of Printing has charge of the printing of all
documents for the city, and supplies all stationery and binding needed
in the various departments.



PUBLIC BUILDINGS DEPARTMENT.

Old Court House.
[Stat. 1895, Chap. 449, Rev. Orel., Chap. 29.]
Frederick B. Bogan, Superintendent of Public Buildings. Salary,

$3,600.

The office of the Superintendent of Public Buildings was established
by ordinance .on July 1, 1850, and annual reports have been published
by the Superintendent since 1851.

The Public Buildings of the city and county in charge of this depart-
ment comprise the City Hall, the Old Probate Court Building, the Old
Court House, Faneuil Hall and Faneuil Hall Market-House, the Jail and
Reception House, the Old State House, the Armories, the School-houses,
and all the Engine, and Ladder Truck Houses in the city, including
Roxbury, Dorchester, AVest Roxbury, Brighton, and Chai'lestown,
besides other buildings used for public purposes, and the following
ward-rooms :

Ward 1. — Emerson School-house, cor. Prescott and Bennington sts.

Ward 2. — Armory Building, Maverick street.

Ward 3. — Old Winthrop School-house, Bunker Hill street.

Ward 4. — Bunker Hill Grammar School-house, Baldwin street.

Ward 5. — Harvard Grammar School-house, Devens street.

Ward 6. — Ware Primary School -house, North Bennet street.

Ward 7. — Pierpont School-house, Hudson street.

Ward 8. — Wells School-house, McLean street.

1 Over navigable waters.



136 MUNICIPAL REGISTER.

Ward 9. — Old Franklin School-house, Washington street.
Ward 10. — Rice School-house, Dartmouth street.
Ward 11. — Prince School-house, Exeter street.
Ward 12. — West Concord-street School-house.
Ward 13. — Spelman Hall, West Broadway.
Ward 14. — Gray's Hall, East Broadway.
Ward 15. — Court-room, Dorchester street.
Ward 16. — Winthrop Hall, Upham's corner-
Ward 17. — Old Church Building, Dudley street.
Ward 18. — Old Bath-house, Cabot street.
Ward 19. — Phillips-street School-house.
Ward 20. — Ward-room building, Meeting House Hill.
Ward 21. — Dudley-street Opera House.
Ward 22. — Sammet Hall, Boylston Station.
Ward 23. — Minton's Hall, Hyde Park avenue.
Ward 24. — Dorchester Hall, Field's Corner.
Ward 25. — Old Town Hall, Washington street.



PUBLIC GROUNDS DEPARTMENT.

East Cottage Street, Dorchester.
[Rev. Ord., Chap. 30; Chap. 43, §§ 66-68.]
William Doogue, Superintendent. Salary, $4,000.

The Superintendent has charge of, and is the only person authorized
to trim, the trees in the streets of the city, and of all public grounds,
except the parks established under Stat. 1875, Chap. 185. (See Park
Department.) He has also the charge of all the public grounds. The
office of the Superintendent of [the Common and] Public Grounds was
established by ordinance on February 28, 1870. The first annual report
of the Superintendent was published in 1879.

PUBLIC GROUNDS.

City Proper. — The Common and Malls, containing forty-eight and
two-fifths acres, exclusive of the cemetery, which contains one and
two-fifths acres. The length of the exterior boundary of the Common
is one mile and one-eighth.

Public Garden, on the west side of Charles street, containing about
twenty-four and one-quarter acres.

Franklin Square, on the east side of Washington street, between
East Brookline and East Newton streets, containing about 105,205
square feet.



PUBLIC GROUNDS DEPARTMENT. 137

Blackstone Square, on the west side of Washington street, between
West Brookline and West Newton streets, containing about 105,100
square feet.

St. Stephen square, at the corner of St. Stephen street and Bata-
via st.

Massachusetts avenue Park Malls, between Albany street and Colum-
bus avenue, containing about 106,500 square feet. Four sections.

Concord Square, between Tremont street and Columbus avenue, con-
taining about 5,000 square feet.

Rutland Square, between Tremont street and Columbus avenue, con-
taining about 7,400 square feet.

Berwick Park, between Columbus avenue and N. Y., N. H. & H. R.R.,
containing about 3,800 square feet.

Union Park, between Shawmut avenue and Tremont street, contain-
ing about 16,000 square feet.

Worcester Square, between Washington street and Harrison avenue,
containing about 16,000 square feet.

Lowell Square, on Cambridge street, containing about 5,772 square feet.

Fort Hill Square, between Oliver and High streets, containing about
29,480 square feet.

Park Square, at the corner of Columbus avenue, Eliot and Pleasant
streets, containing about 2,867 square feet.

Montgomery Square, at the junction of Tremont, Clarendon, and
Montgomery streets, containing about 550 square feet.

Copley Square, between Huntington avenue and Dartmouth and
Boylston streets, also between Huntington ave., Trinity place, and St.
James avenue, containing about 33,809 square feet. Two enclosures.

City Hall Grounds, School street, about 7,700 square feet.

Square, Harrison avenue, between Union park and Waltham streets.

South Boston. — Telegraph Hill, containing the reservoir. Inde-
pendent of the reservoir there is a lot named Thomas Park, containing
about 190,000 square feet, reserved for a public walk.

Independence Square, between Broadway, Second, M, and N streets,
containing about six and one-half acres.

Lincoln Square, between Emerson, Fourth, and M streets, and east
of the primary school-house, containing about 9,510 square feet.

Commonwealth park.

Playground between East First and East Second streets and M and O
streets, containing 180,000 square feet.

East Boston. — Maverick Square, between Sumner and Maverick
streets, containing about 4,398 square feet.

Central Square, between Meridian and Border streets, containing
about 32,310 square feet.



138 MUNICIPAL REGISTER.

Putnam Square, between Putnam, White, and Trenton streets, con-
taining about 11,628 square feet.

Preseott Square, between Trenton, Eagle, and Prescott streets, con-
taining about 12,284 square feet.

Belmont Square, between Webster, Sumner, Lamson, and Seaver
streets, containing 30,000 square feet.

Roxbury. — Madison Square, between Sterling, Marble, Warwick,
and Westminster streets, containing about 122,191 square feet.

Orchard Park, between Ckadwick, Yeoman, and Orchard Park streets,
containing about 99,592 square feet.

Washington Park, between Dale and Bainbridge streets, containing
about 396,125 square feet.

Lewis Park, between Highland street, Highland avenue, and Linwood
street, containing about 5,600 square feet.

Longwood Park, between Park and Austin streets, containing about
21,000 square feet.

Walnut Park, between Washing-ton street and Walnut avenue,
containing about 5,736 square feet.

Bromley Park, between Albert and Bickford streets, containing about
20,975 square feet. Three enclosures.

Fountain Square, on Walnut avenue, between Monroe and Townsend
streets, containing about 116,000 square feet.

Cedar Square, on Cedar street, containing about 26,163 square feet.

Linwood Park, at the junction of Centre and Linwood streets, contain-
ing about 3,625 square feet.

Public Ground, Centre and Perkins streets, containing about 3,200
square feet.

Highland Park is the old Fort lot, containing about 114,360 square
feet, and occupied partly by the Roxbury stand-pipe.

Public Ground at the junction of Huntington avenue, Tremont and
Francis streets, containing about 1,662 square feet.

Public Ground, Warren, St. James, and Regent streets, containing
1,380 square feet.

Playground, Fellows street, between Hunneman street and Fellows
place, contains 25,000 square feet.

Square, Albany street.

Dorchester. — Dorchester Square, on Meeting-House Hill, between
Church, Winter, and Adams streets, containing about 56,200 square feet.
Soldiers' Monument is on this square.

Eaton Square, between Church, Bowdoin, and Adams sti*eets, con-
taining about 13,280 square feet.

Mt. Bowdoin Green, on top of Mt. Bowdoin, containing about 25,170
square feet.



PUBLIC GROUNDS DEPARTMENT. 139

Richardson Square, between Pond and Cottage streets.

Dorchester Field, so called, on Dorchester avenue, containing about
274,000 square feet.

Public Ground on Magnolia street, containing about 3,605 square feet.

Public Ground, Adams street, near Pierce avenue.

Public Ground, Adams street, near Cedar Grove Cemetery.

Tremlett Park, junction of Algonquin and Bradlee streets.

Charlestown. — City Square, in front of Old City Hall, containing
about 11,794 square feet. Two enclosures.

Sullivan Square, bounded by Main, Cambridge, Sever, and Gardner
streets, containing about 56,428 square feet.

Winthrop Square, bounded by Winthrop, Adams, and Common
streets, containing about 38,450 square feet. Soldiers' Monument is
on this square.

Public Ground, between Essex and Lyndeboro streets, containing
about 930 square feet.

Public Ground, Bunker Hill and Vine streets.

West Roxbury. — Soldiers' Monument Lot, bounded by South and
Centre streets, containing about 5,870 square feet.

Mt. Bellevue, public ground, containing about 27,772 square feet.

Brighton. — Public Ground, bounded by Franklin and Pleasant
streets, containing about 1,900 square feet.

Jackson Square, between Chestnut Hill avenue, Union and Winship
streets, containing 4,300 square feet.

Brighton Square, between Chestnut Hill avenue and Rockland
street, containing about 25,035 square feet.

Franklin square, between Franklin and Fern streets, contains 1,900
square feet.

Rogers park, Foster street, contains 7 acres.

Massachusetts avenue, adjoining location of the New England Rail-
road, to be used for storage, etc., contains 96,375 square feet.

Massachusetts avenue and Cottage street, Dorchester, used for office^
greenhouses and nursery, hot-bed, storehouse and stable, contains
102,531 square feet.

STATUES AND MONUMENTS.

In addition to the Soldiers and Sailors' Monument on Monument
Hill, Common, and the Soldiers' Monuments in the Charlestown, West
Roxbury, and Dorchester districts, there are the following in charge of
this department : The Crispus Attucks Monument on the Common ;
statues of Edward Everett, Washington, Charles Sumner, and Thomas
Cass in the Public Garden ; Benjamin Franklin and Josiah Quincy
in front of City Hall ; Samuel Adams in Adams square, John Winthrop



140 MUNICIPAL REGISTER.

in Scollay square, the Emancipation Group in Park square, and the
Ether Monument in the Public Garden.

FOUNTAINS.

The public fountains or vases in charge of this department are one
each in Franklin, Blackstone, Chester, Independence, Central, Maverick,
Sullivan, and Jackson squares, and Union park ; the Lyman Fountain
in Eaton square ; the Brewer Fountain on the Common ; the " Maid of
the Mist ** and three other fountains in the Public Garden.



REGISTRY DEPARTMENT.

Old Court-House.
[Pub. Stat., Chap. 32, § 16; Stat. 1892, Chap. 314; Ord. 1S92, Chap. 11.]

William H. TThitmore, City Registrar. Salary, $4,000.

The City Registrar keeps the records of births, deaths, and marriages,
and issues certificates of all intentions of marriage. Annual reports
have been published since 1849.

By law, in the absence of the Registrar, the Assistant Registrars may
perform his duties and give certificates or attestations.

By Ordinance approved July 12, 1892, the Department of Ancient
Records and the office of Record Commissioners (established July 6,
1875) were abolished, and the duties of the Record Commissioners,
including the publication of documents relating to the early history of
Boston, were transferred to the City Registrar.
Franklin D. Rideodt, First Assistant Registrar.
J. Otis Fallon, Second Assistant Registrar.



SINKING-FUNDS DEPARTMENT.
City Hall.

[Pub. Stat., Chap. 29, § 10 ; Rev. Orel , Chap. 35.]
BOARD OF SINKING-FUNDS COMMISSIONERS.

Henry R. Reed, Chairman.

James H. Dodge, Secretary. Salary, $700 per annum.
Alfred T. Turner, Treasurer. Salary, §700 per annum.

COMMISSIONERS.

Henry R. Reed, Charles H. Allen. Term ends in 1897.
Nathaniel J. Rust, Samuel Johnson. Term ends in 1898.
John H. Sullivan, Laurence Minot. Term ends in 1899.



STREET DEPARTMENT. 141

A Board of Commissioners of Sinking Funds for the payment or re-
demption of the city debt was established by ordinance on December
24, 1870. This Board consists of six members, two of whom are ap-
pointed annually in February for a term of three years from May 1.
The Board has published annual reports since 1871.



STREET DEPARTMENT.

City Hall.

[Rev. Ord., Chap. 36; Chap. 43, Stat. 1895, Chap. 449.]



Online LibraryBoston (Mass.)Municipal register : containing rules and orders of the City Council, the city charter and recent ordinances, and a list of the officers of the City of Boston, for .. (Volume 1896) → online text (page 6 of 24)