Chapman Brothers.

Portrait and biographical album of Whiteside County, Illinois : containing full-page portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States online

. (page 33 of 122)
Online LibraryChapman BrothersPortrait and biographical album of Whiteside County, Illinois : containing full-page portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States → online text (page 33 of 122)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


years of age he began business as a clerk with his
half-brother, H. J. Ravis, dealer in general merchan-
dise, and remained with him till 1867. He spent
the next two years as a salesman in a hardware store
at Fulton. In 1869 he bought out a stock of fancy
goods, books and stationery, and started in business
for himself. He was doing well until a fire occurred,
Jan. 2, 1872, that swept away his entire stock, by
which he suffered a loss of $1,500, and on which he
only realized by insurance $500. In 1872 he opened
in the drug business. He has conducted this es-
tablishment about 13 years with marked success,
and now has a large, tasteful and well stocked store
in his line. His stock averages in value about
$5,000, and includes everything usually found in a
first-class drug store.

He was married at Fulton, Nov. 22, 1872, to Miss




Anna Gerrish, daughter of B. S. Gerrish. Mrs.
Williams was born in Portsmouth, N. H.

Mr. Williams has held various offices of local im-
portance, and is the present Township Clerk and
Township School Treasurer. He has held the for-
mer office six years and the latter eight. He has
always taken a warm interest in politics, is an earn-
est Democrat, and in 1880 was a Delegate to the
Illinois State Democratic Convention.

He was made a Freemason immediately after be-
coming of age, and is a member of Fulton City
Lodge, No. 189. He is also a member of Fulton
Chapter, No. 108, R. A. M.

With his characteristic earnestness, Mr. Williams
applied himself to acquiring a knowledge of Masonry,
and is recognized as one of the most efficient mem-
bers of the order. He is a man of good executive
ability, quick perception and sound judgment, sup-
ported by a habit of earnest application to the mat-
ter in hand, which assures a prompt and correct
discharge of public and private duties that may de-
volve upon him.




ra Heath, farmer, section 30, Hopkins
Township, has been identified with the ag-
ricultural development of Whiteside County
since 1846. He passed the first year of his
residence within its limits in the township of
Mt. Pleasant, and in 1847 bought 53 acres,
which is now a part of his homestead estate, which
includes 100 acres, nine-tenths being in tillage. In
political conviction and connections he is a Repub-
lican ; has officiated as School Director in his dis-
trict about 30 years, and has held other offices.

Mr. Heath was born May 22, 1818, in Berkshire
Co., Mass. His father, William Heath, was also a
native of the Bay State, and married Olive Brown.
After their marriage they located in Berkshire
County, where they became the parents of 12 chil-
dren, Alvin, Samantha, Caroline, Laura, Ransom,
Thetis, Lucian R., William, Ira, Russell B., Philena
and Heman. Their father died March i, 1853, and
their mother survived until Dec. 14, 1859.

Mr. Heath spent the years of his childhood and
earlier youth in obtaining a common-school educa-
tion, and at 19 years of age began to work as a farm






::



- .. -



WH1TESIDE COUNTY.




laborer, which vocation he pursued until he was 22
years old, when he built a saw-mill. He conducted
its affairs three years, after which he sold it and
again engaged in farming in his native State until
the year in which lie moved to Whiteside County as
stated (1846).

He formed a matrimonial alliance in Berkshire
Co., Mass., May 21, 1840, with Mary A. Harmon.
She was born in that county Feb. 22, 1822, and is
the daughter of Walter and Azubah (Hyde) Har-
mon. Both her parents were born in Massachusetts
and were residents there until 1848, when they set-
tled in Hopkins Township, and there passed the re-
maining years of their lives. The father died Aug.
30, 1865; the mother survived until Nov. 27, 1875.
Their children were five in number, Porter J., Mary
A., George W., Truman. W. and William M. Mr.
and Mrs. Heath have had five children, but only
one survives, Henry D. George W., Samantha C.,
Rosella A. and Frank W. are deceased.




i; obert B. Johnson, farmer, section 9, Hop-
kins Township, is a son of Aaron and Sally
* (Law) Johnson, natives of Pennsylvania,
who removed to Ohio, where they lived till
their death. They had a family of nine chil-
dren, as follows : Rachel, Mary A., Robert R.,
Margaret, Ephraim, Rebecca, Thomas, Aaron and
Samuel.

The subject of this sketch was born in Washington
Co., Pa., June 16, 1819, and was 17 years old when
his father removed to Ohio ; he continued to live at
home till 24 years of age. He engaged in farming in
Ohio till the fall of 1854, when he came to Whiteside
County and lived in Jordan Township about nine
months, and since then has lived in Hopkins Town-
ship. In 1856 he settled on section 9, where he
had bought 400 acres previous to his coming to the
county to reside. He has disposed of all but 165
acres, and all this except five acres is in a state of
good cultivation.

Mr. Johnson was married in Perry Co., Ohio, May
12, 1852, to Susan, daughter of Isaac and Nellie
(Chenoweth) Brown. The former was born in Ire-
land, and at the age of three years moved to Virginia;
he was an Elder in the Presbyterian Church for a

$. S^ n *<



number of years. Mrs. Johnson's mother was a
native of Virginia. They settled in the State of Ohio,
where they finally died. They had a family of nine
children, viz.: Ellen, Margaret, Susan, Eliza, Isa-
bella, Absalom, Matilda, Martha and Harriet. Mrs.
J. was born in Perry Co., Ohio, Feb. 15, 1827, and
has become the mother of eight children, as follows :
Alice C., Sarah E., Monroe, Julius A., Herbert H.,
Hattie E., Effie E. and Ida B. Monroe died Dec.
13, 1872, when 14 years old.

Mr. Johnson in his political views is a Democrat.
Mrs. J. is a member of the Lutheran Church.




h avid Mathew is one of the leading agri-
culturists of Mt. Pleasant Township, and
a resident on section r. He was born in
Fifeshire, Scotland, June 3, 1824, and was a
resident of his native country until he was
24 years of age. He emigrated thence in
1848 and landed at New York. He spent six
months in the State of Maryland, going thence to
West Virginia, where he continued his stay 12 years.
He came from that State to Illinois in 1860, and lo-
cated in Whiteside County. His estate includes 572
acres, lying in the townships of Mt. Pleasant and
Hopkins. It is chiefly under cultivation.

The parents of Mr. Mathew, William and Jean-
nette (Wylie) Mathews, were natives of Scotland,
who about 1851 came to the United States, first lo-
cating in Tucker Co., W. Va. ; and six years later
they made a change of their residence to Whiteside
County, settling in Hopkins Township. The death
of the mother took place in that township and the
father died in Mt. Pleasant Township. Their chil-
dren were named Thomas, David, William, Jeannette,
Andrew, Margaret, Ann, Jane, Robert and Alex-
ander.

The marriage of Mr. Mathew to Ann Wolf took
place in November, 1857, in West Virginia. Mrs.
Mathew is the daughter of George and Catharine
(Barb) Wolf, and they were natives of Virginia.
Their seven children were. named: Isaac, George
A., Elizabeth, Mary, Ann, Catharine and Israel.
Mrs. Mathew was born July 4, 1830, in West Vir-
ginia. To her and her husband have been born 13
children, named as follows : William B., Jeannette













5

M



and George (twins), Catharine, Robert, Mary, Anna,
David W. and George W. (twins), James A., Ezra,
Simon and Samuel (twins.) One child is deceased,
George, twin brother of Jeannette. Mrs. Mathew
belongs to the family from which the celebrated hero
of Quebec descended. Mr. M. is an adherent
of the Republican party and belongs to the Pres-
byterian Church. He has held several offices.




ohn Phinney, a citizen of Union Grove
Township, located on a farm on section 13,
is engaged in the twofold calling of agri-
culturist and teacher. He was born April
29, 1825, in Monkton, Addison Co., Vt, where
he obtained a common-school education, and
he extended the scope of his intellectual attainments
at the academy at Bakersfield, Vt. His parents,
Martin and Sally (Mallory) Phinney, were natives of
Vermont and were of Scotch and English lineage.
They remained in the State of their nativity through-
out their lives. They had three children. John,
Harris and Sally. The mother died in 1830 and
the father contracted a second marriage, with Mercy
Brown. To them two children were born, Dan A.
and Ellen M. The former died near Iowa City, of ty-
phoid fever, in 1856, and is buried in the Quaker
burying-ground near that city.

On completing his education Mr. Phinney applied
himself to the occupation of teaching, which he fol-
lowed in Vermont between two and three years. In
April, 1854, he came to Whiteside County and first
located in the township of Union Grove, where he
pursued the vocation of teacher two years. In 1856
he went to Como, and was there occupied in the
same capacity four years. In 1860 he bought a
farm in the township of Montmorency, where he en-
gaged in farming two years, spending the winters in
teaching. In 1862 he sold his farm and went to
Sterling, where he taught one year. At the expira-
tion of that time he made an engagement to take
charge of the school at Unionville, where he was
employed three years. He then returned to Sterling
to enter upon an engagement as teacher, which ex-
isted five years, after which he taught two years in
Unionville. From there he went to Hopkins Town-
ship, and after teaching there two years he engaged




in the same capacity at Como, where he continued
to operate four years. In the fall of 1883 he began
to teach in Mt. Pleasant township, where he was en-
gaged seven months. The aggregate of his teach-
ing in Whiteside County covers a period of 31 years.
He bought his farm in Union Grove Township in
the fall of 1872, consisting of 88 acres, and where
he has maintained his residence since the property
came into his possession. It is nearly all under cul-
tivation. In political relations Mr. Phinney is inde-
pendent.

He formed a matrimonial alliance with Alzina L.
Twitchell, April 18, 1855, and they have had three
children, Burritt E., Martin Loyal and Effie B.
The oldest son died Oct. 20, 1883, in Union Grove
Township, at the age of 25 years. He fixed upon
the calling of a jeweler, and spent four years in
preparation for making that the business of his life,
serving his apprenticeship at Morrison. He con-
tracted consumption and went to California in the
vain hope of recovery. He returned home and died
at the home of his parents in Union Grove. He
lies buried in the cemetery at Morrison. The second
son is a student at Oberlin, Ohio. Mrs. Phinney
was born in New Haven, Vt., May i, 1836. She is
the daughter of L. C. Twitchell, of whom a sketcli
appears on another page.



eter Kitchen, manufacturer of and dealer
in harness and saddlery at Fulton, began
business here in June, 1858, and has the
oldest established house in his line in the city.
He was born in Ithaca, Tompkins Co., N. Y.,
Dec. 15, 1837, and is the son of William and Mar-
tha (Van Buskirk) Kitchen. He learned his trade
in his native town, and in 1856 went to Pennsyl-
vania. Two years later he came to Fulton, 111., and
established his present business. He has carried it
on continuously, since, at this place, covering a
period of 27 years. Starting in a moderate way,
he has increased his stock and facilities for manu-
facturing till he now has an extensive establishment,
well stocked with everything in his line and most
complete in its appointments.

Mr. Kitchen has been twice married, first at Ful-
ton, 111., March 24, 1860, to Miss Letitia Fitzpatrick







(



,

\




WHITESIDE COUNTY.





by the Rev. Ben. Close. Two children were born of
this union, namely : Frank, the eldest, is employed
on the Mississippi River ; the younger died in in-
fancy. Mrs. K. died Dec. 13, 1862, and Mr. Kitchen
was married again, at Fulton, Nov. ir, 1863, to Miss
Sarah E. Price, by the Rev. J. B. McClure. Mrs.
K. is the daughter of William Price, and was born
in Monroeville, Ohio.

Mr. Kitchen is a member of Fulton City Lodge,
No. 189, A. F. & A. M. In politics he is a Demo-
crat.



L amuel S. Keefer, liveryman, Sterling, was
born in Franklin Co., Pa., Sept. 2, 1845,
his parents being John (a farmer) and
Ann M. (Grove) Keefer. Receiving a com-
mon-school education and being brought up
at farm labor, he emigrated West in 1865, and
in 1866 he left home, worked at the occupation of
carpenter two years, then was engaged in the grocery
trade in Sterling the same length of time; next he
resided on a farm of 160 acres in Genesee Township
12 years, and returned to Sterling in 1882. In
March, 1883, he bought out the stock of F. M. May-
nard in the livery business, and has since been en-
gaged in that line, now having about 12 horses. His
livery equipment is the largest in Sterling.

In his political views, Mr. Keefer is a Republican,
and in his social relations he is a member of the
Order of Modern Woodmen of America.

He was married Sept. n, 1866, to Miss Anna M.
Kurtz, a native of Pennsylvania. They have two
children, Emma F. and Ida May.



y illard A. Goodenough, farmer, section
10, Union Grove Township, has been a
resident on the same farm which he now
occupies since he first took possession of it
at the time of his settling in the county in
J 1865.

He is the third child of John and Betsey (Cob-
leigh) Goodenough. His parents were natives of
Vermont, and removed from there to Jefferson Co.,
N. Y., where they were farmers and reared their
children, 1 1 in number.

Mr. Goodenough was born March 24, 1822, in




Jefferson Co., N. Y., where he grew to manhood and
there obtained a good common-school education.
About the time he arrived at the period of his legal
freedom, he bought a farm in his native county, on
which he labored until his removal to Illinois in the
year named. He made a purchase of 120 acres of
land on the section where he has since maintained
his homestead. He is now the owner of 230 acres
of the valuable land which is the source of the
wealth and prosperity of Whiteside County. It is
chiefly under cultivation. He is a Prohibitionist in
his political views.

His marriage to Nancy J. Hull took place Jan.
13, 1842, in Oswego Co., N. Y., and they have been
the parents of five children : George E., Esther J.,
Lewis E., Emma L. and Ella L. (twins). Lewis died
at the age of 16 months. Mrs. Goodenough was
born Aug. 22, 1820, in Morristown, St. Lawrence
Co., N. Y., and is the daughter of Nathaniel and
Prudence (Fish) Hull. Her mother was born in
Massachusetts, and her father in Connecticut. They
had four children. Mr. and Mrs. Goodenough are
members of the Baptist Church.



aron A. Wolfersperger, attorney at law,
Sterling, was born in Jordan Township.
Whiteside, Co., 111., March 22, 1856. His
parents, John and Lydia (Kapp) Wolfersperger,
natives of Lebanon Co., Pa., came from the
Keystone State in 1851 to Jordan Township,
Mr. W. purchased land at different times, so that he
is now the proprietor of 640 acres.

Aaron, the subject of this notice, remained at his
parental home until 15 years of age, laboring upon
the farm and attending the district school ; then,
leaving home, he attended a college at Naperville,
111., one year, an institution under the auspices of
the Evangelical Church ; then four years at the col-
lege at Carthage, 111., where he graduated ; next, a
term of six months at Eastman's Business College at
Poughkeepsie, N. Y., receiving a diploma; followed
farming the next summer; and the ensuing fall he
went to Chicago and attended the Union College of
Law for two years, receiving a diploma : finally, in
the spring of 1879, he came to Sterling and com-
menced the practice of law. In 1881 he was elected
Justice of the Peace and has held the office since.








WHITESIDE COUNTY.





*f In 1884 he was elected City Attorney, and re-
& elected in the spring of 1885. He is one of the
**, leading and rising lawyers of Sterling. Politically
he is a Democrat, and in his social relations he is a
member of the Orders of Odd Fellows, Knights of
Pythias, and of the A. O. U. W.

Mr. Wolfenperger was married Nov. 4, 1880, to
Miss Anna Hendrick, a native of this State. They
have had two children; Lelia S., born Aug. 4, 1882 ;
and John J., Aug. 26, 1884.



>rs. Phebe Worthington, a resident of
Coloma, and a widow of Artemas W.
Worthington, deceased, was born in Col-
chester, Conn., in 1813, and was married
Oct. 9, 1837. She came West and settled in
Harrisburg, this county, July 3, 1839, and
afterward moved across the river and located on
what is now called Coloma, where Mr. Worthington
died in 1855.

She has had six children, four of whom are still
living. Isabella was born in 1839; Robert, 1845;
Alfred, 1847 ; Alice, 1849; and Robert E., 1853. She
has a farm of 160 acres, on which she resides, and
which is managed by her son Alfred. The latter
married Martha Wright, a native of Pennsylvania,
where she was born March 3, 1873. They have
five children, namely Mabel, Ollie M., Artemas W.,
Edgar S. and one not yet named.

Mrs. W.'s parents were Richard and Phebe
(Ketchum) Sammis, natives of Long Island and
members of the agricultural community.



obert S. Norrish, an extensive farmer of
Mt. Pleasant Township, located on sec-
tion 2, is a representative of a large class
- N in Whiteside County, who have been in-
strumental in its development, though he
was born under another government. His
farming interests also demonstrate the results of a
life of honorable, judicious effort under the protec-
tion of a republican form of government. He is
the owner of 680 acres of land, which is all under





cultivation with the exception of about one-sixth.
His farm is stocked with about 100 head of cattle
and 1 6 horses, and he fattens for market an annual
average of 75 hogs.

Mr. Norrish was born Oct. i, 1826, in Devon-
shire, England, and he is the son of Samuel and
Frances (Snow) Norrish. His parents lived and
died in their native shire. Their children were
named Samuel, Elizabeth, Mary, Francis, Edward,
Robert S., John, Jane and Ann. Mr. Norrish was
educated in his native country and lived there until
1850, when he came to the United States. He went
at first to Ohio, where he was married, July 6, 1852,
in Lorain County, to Tamzin Squire. They remained
in Ohio until 1853, when they removed thence to
Mt. Pleasant Township. The wife died there in
October, 1863, having borne two children, who were
named Samuel and Margaret A. The plder child
died in infancy. March 2, 1865, Mr. Norrish was
again married, in Cuyahoga Co., Ohio, to Ann Adams.
Their three children were named Robert A., Mary
and John W. The daughter died in infancy. Mrs.
Norrish was born Feb. 17, 1827, in Yorkshire, Eng-
land, and is the daughter of George and Martha
(Hargate) Adams. Her parents came to the United
States in July, 1846, and located in Ohio. They
had four children, named James, Ann, William
and Maiy.

Mr. Norrish is in sympathy with the principles of
the Republican party. He is. active in township lo-
cal interests. Mrs. Norrish is a communicant in the
Episcopal Church.







eorge W. Clendenen, M. D., Fulton, is a
native of Boone Co., Va. (now West Vir-
ginia), and was born Dec. 4, 1844. His
parents were Robert A. and Amanda (Hinch-
man) Clendenen. George W. came to Cass Co.,
Mich., with his parents in childhood, and when
six years of age his father died, leaving his family in
indigent circumstances.

The subject of our sketch was left to shift for him-
self at an early age. He began by working out sum-
mers to earn money to pay his way through school in
the winters. He attended the union school of Niles,
Mich., till he fitted himself to enter the State Normal




.
UNIVERSITY or




WHITES 'IDE COUNTY.




School at Ypsilanti, which he did, and passed exam-
ination in the literary department and entered upon
the classic course. He then became a school-teach-
er, to provide means of support while he should
be engaged in the study of medicine, he having de-
termined to adopt that profession as his calling. He
began to read medicine in 1872, with his brother, Dr.
Floyd Clendenen, of Dowagiac, Mich., now of La-
Salle, 111. He soon afterward became a traveling
salesman for a wooden-ware establishment. Carry-
ing medical books on the various branches with him
in his travels, he read and studied them as he could
find opportunity. He came to Fulton in 1874, and has
since made this his home. He continued on the road
till 1876, since which time he has devoted himself to
the study and practice of medicine. He took a
regular course of lectures at the Bennett College of
Eclectic Medicine and Surgery, of Chicago, from
which he received his degree of M. D., March 25,
1884; and since that time he has been engaged in the
practice of his profession at Fulton, with the very
best of success.

He was married in Tuscumbia, Ala., Jan. 15, 1869,
to Miss Ellen A. Ferriss, daughter of E. W. Ferriss.
Mrs. Clendenen was born in St. Joseph Co., Mich-
They had four children : Blanch, who died aged two
years; Gracie, who died aged one year; Eddie W.
and Kittie G., who are living.

Dr. and Mrs. Clendenen are members of the Pres-
byterian Church, and he is also a member of Lodge
No. 189, A. F. & A. M., and in politics is a Democrat.

Although young in the profession, Dr. Clendenen is
securing a rapidly increasing practice as a reward for
a zealous and faithful discharge of his professional
duties.




|rr F. Woodruff, attorney at law at Mor-
li rison, was born June 30, 1840, in the town-
s' ship of Clarendon, Orleans Co., N. Y.



Winfield Woodruff, his father, was a native of
the State of New York and was a farmer by
vocation. He married Sole m ma Terry, who
was also born in New York. Of their three chil-
dren, Mr. Woodruff of this sketch is the oldest.
William M. is an agriculturist and dealer in stock
near Kearney, Neb. John J., resident at Kearney,



was formerly an attorney and is now interested in
sheep industry. In 1875 the parents went to Kear-
ney, where the father died in November, 1884. The
mother survives.

Until he was 19 years of age, Mr. Woodruff con-
tinued under the direction of his parents on the
homestead farm and acquired a high-school educa-
tion. He came to Morrison in November, 1859,
where he became a student of law in the office of
Hon. Henry M. Teller, Secretary of the Interior
under President Arthur. Mr. Teller was then en-
gaged in legal practice at Morrison, and under his
preceptorship Mr. Woodruff enjoyed unusual ad-
vantages and derived much practical benefit from
the associations of the office. In May, 1861, he
was admitted to practice in all the courts of Illinois,
and on receiving his credentials he established his
business in the former office of Mr. Teller, who
went to Colorado. Mr. Woodruff has since con-
ducted the relations of an extensive and popular
law practice with success, and chieflly unaided. He
has risen through ability, industry and undeviating
devotion to his business interests, as well as through
high-minded integrity, to distinction in his profes-
sion. He is still engaged in the management of a
large and lucrative practice in the County, Appellate
and Supreme Courts of Illinois and in the Federal
Courts at Chicago.

Mr. Woodruff has won an honorable and enviable
position at the Bar as a criminal lawyer ; and has
been connected with a number of prominent cases
involving the liberty and sometimes the lives of in-
dividuals. He is a logical and effective advocate,
and possesses an exhaustive comprehension of legal
principles. He is noted for keenness of perception
and discrimination in presenting his argument, and
when fully aroused to his work, exercises a magnetic
influence which proves a controlling element in the
courts where he pleads. He possesses the rare-quality
of sinking his own personality in the merits of his
case, and fully imbuing himself with its justice and
equity, a trait which rarely fails to achieve a purpose.
He is a thorough student of human nature and re-
cognizes above all other considerations that penal-
ties are designed for reformation rather than punish-
ment. Standing firmly on the fact that the results
of crime are irretrievable in most instances, he is
just as inflexible in taking the humanitarian view,

< *^ '



I








- . - , . ,






WHITESIDE COUNTY.



f i\

*.
(S;



T

s-a.



and in his advocacy presents his views and appeals,
to the tribunals before which his clients are arraigned,



Online LibraryChapman BrothersPortrait and biographical album of Whiteside County, Illinois : containing full-page portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States → online text (page 33 of 122)