Chapman Brothers.

Portrait and biographical album of Whiteside County, Illinois : containing full-page portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States online

. (page 83 of 122)
Online LibraryChapman BrothersPortrait and biographical album of Whiteside County, Illinois : containing full-page portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States → online text (page 83 of 122)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


several years. His father had purchased a farm of
240 acres in the county, and at the date of his death
was the proprietor of 280 acres.

Aug. 8, 1862, Mr. James enlisted in the war for the
Union, joining Co. I, 75th 111. Vol. Inf., as a private,
and served until April, 1863, when he was discharged
on account of disabiliiy. On receiving his discharge
he returned to Fenton Township, and engaged in
cultivating the old homestead, which occupation he
followed until the spring of 1882, when he purchased
318 acres of land, where he at present resides, and
which he still owns. He has a fine residence, good
barn and orchard, and his place is well fenced and
under an advanced state of cultivation. He makes
a specialty of Short-horn cattle, and has one full-
blood and the other high grades, in all about 100
head; he also raises a few colts each year.

Mr. James was united in marriage in Fenton
Township, Jan. i, 1859, to Miss Henrietta M. Wood.
She is the daughter of James and Isabella Wood,
and was born in New York, Dec. 21, 1840, and bore
her husband seven children, four of whom died in
infancy. The living are : George W., born Dec. 5
1860; Robert L., born Nov. 8, 1865; Richard T.'
born Sept. 14, 1867; the deceased were Henry t
Isabelle, Frank and Edith. The parents of Mrs.
James are both living, and reside in Fenton Town-
ship, where her father follows the occupation of
a farmer.




illiam H. Thompson, farmer, and a resi-
dent of Portland village, was born in Ire-
/_ land, his parents being Robert and Lydia
!> (Graham) Thompson. He was a small boy
when his parents emigrated to this country,
settling in Cleveland, Ohio. They came thence
to Chicago, and thence, in the fall of 1836, to Port-
land Township, this county, locating upon a quarter-
section of land ; and when it came into market he
purchased 200 acres, and subsequently added to it
by further purchases until he obtained a total of 400
acres. He died April 6, 1883. Mrs. T. died in
August, 1872. They had nine children, seven of
whom are now living, viz. : Mary, Richard, William
H., Elizabeth, Robert, Hiram and John.

rffr *&*




After his father's death, the subject of this sketch
received from the property a house, two lots and a
barn in Prophetstown; he has also owned some
farms in this county. When 22 years of age he left
home and rented land, and purchased 145 acres
near the village of Erie, where he resided four years.
In addition to his agricultural pursuits, he also deals
to some extent in live stock.

He was married, in Iowa to Miss Lora A. Fay,
daughter of Moses and Betsey Fay. They have
eight children, five of whom are living, namely :
Ida, who is the wife of Fred Kreps, a farmer in
Minnesota; Willie, Ellsworth, Katie and Effie. The
deceased were William W., Lizzie B. and Effie M





tanley M. Fuller, farmer and stock-raiser,
residing on section 29, Portland Town-
ship and one of the energetic as well as
progressive farmers and self-made men of
Whiteside County, is a son of Edmund H.
and Mary M. (Turner) Fuller, and was born
! in Portland Township, about one and a half miles
i northwest of where he at present resides, Oct.
'20, 1852. His father was a native of New York,
; and his mother of Pennsylvania, and came to this
| county in 1836, in company with his father and
; brothers. His father located in Portland Township,
where he took a claim, and at the time of his death
he resided one-half mile east of Spring Hill, where
he died March 4, 1856. His mother died in
Chicago, at the residence of her daughter, Jane
Wilcox, Aug. 7, 1880.

They were the parents of eight children, five of
whom survived. James L. is a merchant at Spring
Hill ; George W., a manufacturer of brick in Seward,
Neb.; Edmund P. is engaged in the livery business,
in David City, Neb. ; Jane is the wife of John H.
Armstrong, a farmer in Butler Co., Neb.

Mr. Fuller is the youngest of his father's children,
and was reared on the farm, receiving the advan-
tages afforded by the common schools, and has
resided in the township ever since. He was united
in marriage in Portland Township, Dec. 10, 1872, -to
Hannah Rowe, nee Avery. She owns the farm, con-
sisting of 135 acres. In 1879 Mr. Fuller purchased







/





iVHITESIDE COUNfy.



another farm, consisting of 130 acres, about one-
quarter of a mile west of his present residence. He
also owns 15 acres of timber. He has some good
cattle, graded Short-horn, and keeps usually from 60
to 70 head; also from 15 to 20 head of horses, and
raises from 75 to 80 head of hogs annually. He is
a member of the Order of Masonry, belonging to
Bo'.en Lodge, No. 412, of Spring Hill.

Mrs. Fuller had two children by her former mar-
riage: William A., born June 26, 1865, and Lewis
E., born Oct. 6, 1866; and by her present marriage
there have been four children : Harry P., born Sept.
18, 1873; George W., born Nov. 24, 1875; Clarence
M., born Dec. 3, 1880, and Gracie, born May 23,
1884.

Mr. Fuller has held the office of Justice of the
Peace for six years, to which position he was re-
elected in the spring of 1885. The parents of Mrs.
Fuller, the Averys, are among the earliest settlers of
this county. Her father still survives, and resides
in Portland Township, on his farm, and her mother
is deceased.



19*




ev. John Daly, Priest, lately in charge of
the Catholic Churches at Sterling and other
places in this county, came to Sterling,
June 5, 1863, at which time the circuit com-
prising his congregations extended for many
miles around, to all of which he administered
for 13 years.

Father Daly was born a short distance from the city
of Dublin, Ireland, May 9, 1822 or '24, his parents
being John and Catherine (McCabe) Daly, who were
natives of Ireland. He was sent to live with an aunt
in his childhood, as she had no children. He made it
his home with her until he emigrated to America.
At the age of 12 years he learned the wheelwright
trade, which he followed during his residence in
Ireland. At the age of 20 years, after coming to
New York city, he commenced to work at the car-
penter's trade, which he followed for six years. At
this time he was married to Miss Ann Fagan, who
lived, but a year afterward. Then, under the advice
of Father John Kelley, of Jersey City, he commenced
attendance at college, which he continued for eight
years. After the completion of his studies, he was





ordained Priest by Bishop Duggan, of Chicago, May
24, 1863, to take charge of the missions at Sterling,
Fulton and the neighboring towns. For a more com-
plete account of his parishes, see a subsequent por-
tion of this work. His residence is on Spruce Street,
in the village of Sterling. Father Daly is a highly
respected citize.i, esteemed by the Protestant popu-
lation as well as by his own people.



cott Crouch, senior member of the mer-
cantile firm of Crouch & Ackerman, at
Coleta, was born Jan. 5, 1842, at Saratoga
Springs, in the State of New York. Samuel
and Sarah (Baker) Crouch, his parents, were
born in Saratoga County, and were of New
England parentage. They lived in that county some
years after their marriage, and removed thence to
Wysox Township, Carroll Co., 111., where they set-
tled on a farm in 1848. Carroll County was in a
comparatively unbroken condition, having but few
permanent settlers.

Mr. Crouch has in his veins the blood of three
nationalities, Scotch, Irish and Dutch, from whom
his parents were descended. He is the oldest of
seven children, of whom there are four survivors
besides himself. His parents are yet living on the
farm where they located nearly 40 years ago. The
earlier ancestors of both were noted for tenacity of
life, which is a marked characteristic in both lines of
descent, several individuals having lived nearly a
century. Mr. Crouch has seen and known seven
grandparents and great-grandparents. He lived at
home until he was 22 years of age. His first inde-
pendent step was his marriage to Margaret J., daugh-
ter of George R. and Mary W. (Green) Proctor. The
latter were married in Lawrence County, where they
resided some years, removing thence to Martin
County, in the same State. Mrs. Crouch was born
Nov. 7, i84t, in Martin County, where she lived and
attended school until she was 14 yeai;s of age. In
1856 her father transferred his family and business
to Genesee Grove. He died the next year and the
mother resides in Genesee Township with her son.

Mr. and Mrs. Crouch have had four children, one
being deceased. Rachel was born Jan. 22, 1866 ;
David E. was born Feb. 18, 1873; Mabel was born



r "

$\ m




UNIVERSITY Of ILLINOIS



io July 3> 1882. Mr. and Mrs. Crouch settled on
) farm containing 100 acres of valuable land, all under
improvement, in Carroll County, and which is still
owned by Mr. Crouch. In October, 1884, he re-

(3; moved to Coleta for the purpose of engaging in his
present businesi enterprise. The firm at that date
operated under the style of Cobb, Howe & Crouch,
and in 1885 it was constituted as at present. They
are transacting a satisfactory business and are
steadily advancing in popularity. Mr. Crouch is an
independent Republican.






(!)




icholas Lutyens, general farmer and stock-
raiser, section 28, Tampico Township, was
sf^ born in Luzerne Co., Pa., Feb. 25, 1827.
*^ His father, Francis Lutyens, was a native of
Germany, and a farmer, and died in Luzerne
County in 1827, before Nicholas was born. The
mother, nee Elizabeth Fowler, was a native of Penn-
sylvania, of German descent, and had a second
husband. Under the guidance of mother and step-
father young Nicholas was reared ; and, earning his
own livelihood a portion of the time independently,
he remained under the parental roof-tree until he
was 23 years of age. In 1836 the family moved to
the West, and soon afterward settled in what is now
Kendall County.

It was while he was a resident of that county,
Sept. 6, 1853, that Mr. L. married Miss Ellen Rowe,
who was born in New York State, Nov. 23, 1830, and
came West with her parents when she was 20 years
of age. Mr. and Mrs. Lutyens have had nine chil-
dren, three of whom are deceased. The survivors
are: Charles, who is married, and resides in Morri-
son ; Libbie, now the wife of L. K. Brainard ; George,
married, and residing in the village of Tampico; Wil-
liam, who is now a widower ; Ella and Levi, who are
unmarried, and remain at the parental home; the
names of thedece.ised were Cora,Cliffie and Freddie.

In 1854 Mr. Lutyens moved from Kendall Co.,
111., to Fairfield Township, Bureau Co., III., settling
upon an improved farm, which he cultivated on
shares for a season, and the next year he came and
located upon an improved tract of land in Tampico
Township. His first purchase was of 80 acres, and
afterward he bought 80 acres more on section 27.




This has ever since been his home; but he was four
years in the army in defense of the Government.
He enlisted Oct. zt, 1 86 1, under the first call, in
Co. B, of the 561)1 Regt. Vol. Inf., under the com-
mand of W. F. Lynch, of the Army of the Ten-
nessee, under Gens. Sherman and Grant. He was
afterward transferred to the 57th and 58th, in the
last of which he had all his military experience. He
was at all the battles in which his regiment was
engaged, as Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth, etc , be-
sides many skirmishes, his last engagement being at
the battle of Nashville. At the battle of Corinth
he was slightly wounded by a gunshot in the left
shoulder. At the battle of Shiloh nearly all his
regiment was captured, but he himself escaped. He
first enlisted as private; but Oct. 12, 1863, he was
commissioned First Orderly Sergeant, which appoint-
ment he held until the close of the war. He was
honorably discharged Feb. 7, 1865, at Chicago.

Since the war he has devoted his attention to his
estate, which now comprises, besides the tracts men-
tioned, 1 60 acres of the homestead, and 40 acres on
section 23, which is in meadow.

In political principles Mr. Lutyens is a strong
Republican. He was the first Road Commissioner
of his township, holding the office 15 years, and he
has served as Constable about two years. He and
his wife are members of the Baptist Church.

Mr. Lutyens' position in the county is such as to
justify the insertion of his portrait in this ALBUM, in
proximity to the above sketch*




on. William James McCoy, Judge of the
County Court of Whiteside County, was
born in Fulton, July 13, 1842. He is the
oldest son of Hon. James McCoy, ex-Judge of
the same Court, who is one of the pioneer at-
torneys of the county, and is still engaged in the
practice of his profession at Fulton. The records of
the father and son form a pertinent feature of the
collated annals of Whiteside County, from the fact
that the former is one of its few remaining pioneers,
and that the latter was born and has passed his life,
thus far, within its borders.

The progenitors of the McCoys were descendants
of the Scotch-Irish, a race distinguished for a greater




number of prominent characteristics than any other,
and to whose fiber and strength some of the best
types of the amalgamated nationality of the United
States are wholly due. The traits which marked the
founders of the race, suffer no dilution in being trans-
mitted to succeeding generations. It is governed by
the same laws of family decay; but its energy,
thrift, courage, chivalry and purity go down to pos-
terity in their primal vigor. In its representatives the
" quality of manhood is unstrained." While they are
ambitious, their success is not so much a matter of
solicitude as the means by which it is reached. The
i records of Whiteside County will bear to the genera-
tions to come ample evidence of the influence, value
and prestige of those who trace their lineage to the
Scotch-Irish.

Whiteside County was in its incipiency as a mu-
nicipality when Judge McCoy was born at Fulton, at
a period dating more than a decade prior to that
when the now attractive little city took on the dignity
of organization. He obtained the foundation of his
elementary education at the public schools ; and
later became a student at the Illinois Soldiers' Col-
lege, then the Western Union College and the Mili-
tary Academy. The curriculum of study was based
on that of leading educational institutions of estab-
lished repute ; and Judge McCoy acquired a thorough
acquaintance with higher English and completed a
full college course in Latin, besides obtaining a prac-
tical understanding of other branches of classical
study. He was an arduous student, and through
unremitting application fell into ill health, which
necessitated radical change. In the spring of 1863,
lie availed himself of an opportunity to travel across
the plains with John Baker, the first settler at Fulton,
who was engaged in the business of a " freighter " to
Denver, Col., and he set out from Fulton for the pur-
pose of " roughing it " in order to re-establish his
health. At Council Bluffs he was promoted to the
post of " driver " and accomplished the double pur-
pose of enticing four yoke of oxen to Denver, and re-
gaining health and strength. He supplemented the
trip by .a short stay in the mountains, where he was
employed in a quartz mill. He returned to Fulton
at the close of the same summer.

In the course of his association with his father in
previous years, he had determined upon entering the
legal profession. He had drifted into familiarity with




office relations and had gathered much miscellaneous
acquaintance with common and statutory law. On
his return from Colorado, with health restored and
ambition freshened to activity, he entered upon the
systematic study of law in his father's office at Ful-
ton and prosecuted his studies with vigor until the
ensuing winter, when he entered the Law School at
Chicago and was graduated in July, 1865. In Sep-
tember following he was admitted to the full privi-
leges of the Bar of Illinois. Later he obtained those
of the Federal Courts.

The qualifications of Judge McCoy as a la wyer are
'of a high order. The natural bent of his mental
| organism has led him to a thorough mastery of the
I principles of jurisprudence, and he is the possessor
of a comprehensive knowledge of the technique of
| the profession. While he is fitted to perform the
duties of any branch of legal business, his tempera-
jment has dictated his preference for that of chancery
; law, which affords opportunity for the exercise of his
natural proclivity to reduce conditions to systematic
I form. The bulk of his practice comprises cases that
i involve the settlement of important interests upon
j broad and equitable grounds. His clientage includes
i classes who are removed from common litigation by
elevation of character, and whose business in the
courts requires the services of an attorney who pos-
sesses a discriminating and exhaustive acquaintance
with authorities.

In the branch of the profession he has selected for
a field of operation, he has won prominence and dis-
tinction. He is also an advocate of recognized
ability. His powers are completely subservient to
his judgment, and he does effective work before a
jury from his perfect preparation and thorough un-
derstanding of the case. He constructs his argu-
ment symmetrically, building it step by step, and
avails himself of the force of incisive, significant
phraseology, which is entirely devoid of rhetorical
trickery, indulged for the purpose of bewildering and
captivating the judgment of men who are uncon-
scious of the cunning which is the expedient of the
leading charlatans of the period.

The relations of Judge McCoy to his profession
are such that an analysis may at some future date
answer the query of some one having a personal in-
terest in his character. His ability, industry, per-
sistency, energy and integrity have received just

' _&V5vX




acknowledgment in his selection for the responsible
position of which he is the incumbent. His associa-
tion with his father as son, student and business
partner, developed the best trait he possessed a
reverent appreciation of the inflexible piobity of his
sire; and to his daily contact with a life of unswerving
devotion to principle, does he owe more than to any
other cause whatever merits he may possess. He
was led to the recognition of the sublimity of equity
as the grand underlying principle of all codes, by the
fact that the bulk of law on which society is founded
and perpetuated, is unwritten ; and he has molded
his career in conformity with his convictions. The
existence of temptations in his profession, in his view,
furnishes no palliation for a corrupt manhood, and
he regards an attorney who finds himself conscious
of the seductions which prove pitfalls of moral ruin
to so many, a poor interpreter of the science of law.
Her.ce, he has found few obstacles to an undeviating
method in his practice, and he has adhered unswerv-
ingly to his deteimination to preserve his relations as
an exponent of law in the dignity and self-respect in-
[ cumbent upon him as a man, and the son of a man

j$J whose excellence of character sheds peculiar luster
[ on the records of Whiteside County.

Immediately upon the completion of his course of
preparation and his admission to the Bar, the firm of

(< ) J. McCoy & Son was established, and its members
conducted their business under that style until a
younger son and brother, A. R. McCoy, completed
his studies for the same profession, and was admitted
to a partnership, the firm style becoming McCoy &
Sons, which continued operative until the autumn of
1878, when W. J. McCoy removed to Morrison.
October [4, that year, he established his office in
that city and has built up a popular and successful
business. He is an indefatigable worker; and al-
though he has discharged the duties of his office in a
manner every way characteristic, his private busi-
ness has suffered no diminution, but has rather in-
creased through the wider scope of his connections.
He was elected County Judge in November, 1882,
scoring a success over the candidate of the opposi-
tion, Hon. William Lane,-by about 2,000 votes. The
fact that he ran ahead of his ticket by about 1,700
votes, renders the fact of an unpartisan election pe-
culiarly significant. During his term of office, still
unfulfilled in 1885, the business of the County Court

3$, ^g^





has very materially increased, which is due in part to
the methods pursued by Judge McCoy, and in part
to changes in legislation, which occasion diversion
from the Circuit Court.

Judge McCoy was married Sept. 13, 1869, in Ful-
ton, to Marie E., daughter of Charles W. and Caro-
line M. Aylesworth. They have three children : Les-
ter C., born June 23, 1870; William M., born June
14, 1876; Helen C., born Feb. 24, 1885. Mrs. Mc-
Coy was born May 4, 1845, ' ln Salem, Ohio.



emuel M. Hunt is an enterprising and sub-
stantial farmer of Newton Township, and
is located on section 3, where he bought a
claim in 1862. He is now the proprietor of
320 acres of land in first-class agricultural con-
dition, with good farm buildings, shade and
fruit trees.

Mr. Hunt was born Oct. 2, 1823, in Loraine
Township, Jefferson Co., N. Y., and is the son of
Lemuel and Mary (Brown) Hunt. The former ,vas a
Vermonter by birth, and the latter was born in the
State of New York. The son was educated in the
public schools, and at 18 entered upon an appren-
ticeship in a carriage shop at Watertown. He de-
voted three years to the acquisition of a complete
understanding of the business. Later he went to
Springfield, Mass., where he was made foreman in a
carriage car and machine shop. He went next to
Worcester, where he was employed by the Washburn
& Moen Manufacturing Company, and afterward to
Whitingville, building cotton machinery in the inter-
ests of Paul Whiting & Sons.

In 1849 he went to California, proceeding by ocean
steamer to the mouth of the Rio Grande River in
Texas, following the course of the river to Browns-
ville, in that State. The remainder of the journey
was made overland, the entire distance requiring
about six months' travel. He was engaged three
years in mining, and in 1852 came to Illinois. He
located near the Meredocia River in Rock Island
County, entering a claim of 160 acres of land, and
engaging in agricultural pursuits. The remembrance
of the land of gold had always made it look pleasant
to him as a place for a home, and in 1860 he went
there again, making the journey via New York and
the Isthmus of Panama. He visited California and.







to)







*s&



WH1TES1DE COUNTY.




* *



\t

<I>



(



Oregon, prospecting at various points for a satis-
factory location, without accomplishing the desired
results. After nearly two years of vain effort to locate
a home, he returned to Illinois and bought a tract of
unimproved land, where he has since operated, and
whereon he made the usual preparations for taking
possession. He built a small frame house and
entered vigorously on the work of improving his
property. He has doubled his acreage, built a good
class of frame structures, and has increased the
beauty and value of the place by setting out numer-
ous fruit, shade and ornamental trees.

Mr. Hunt has been a Republican from the organ-
ization of the party, and was at the convention which
nominated Abraham Lincoln. He is tolerant and
liberal in his religious views.

He was married in 1852, to Caroline A. Oilman, a
native of Jefferson Co., N. Y. They have had nine
children, but seven of whom survive, John M.,
Chester L., Mary P., Homer, Frederick S., Levi E.
and Hattie L.



eter H. Wilt, one of the progressive farmers
of this county, residing in the village of
Erie, and owning 400 acres of land in Port-
land Township, was born in what is now Blair
Co., Pa , April i, 1819. His father, Peter Wilt,
was a native of the same State, and a farmer
by occupation. His mother was also a native of
Pennsylvania, and bore to her husband one child,
Peter H., the subject of this biographical notice. He
was reared on the farm and received the advantages
afforded by the common schools, and on attaining
majority, turned his attention in the direction of that
vocation, agriculture, which he had previously fol-
lowed. In March, 1866, he came to Portland Town-
ship, this county, and purchased 250 acres of land,
located on sections 27 and 28. He resided there till
March, 1880, and added to his original purchase
until he is at present the proprietor of 400 acres of
land. He was the possessor of three farms, in his



Online LibraryChapman BrothersPortrait and biographical album of Whiteside County, Illinois : containing full-page portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States → online text (page 83 of 122)