Chapman Brothers.

Portrait and biographical album of Whiteside County, Illinois : containing full-page portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States online

. (page 92 of 122)
Online LibraryChapman BrothersPortrait and biographical album of Whiteside County, Illinois : containing full-page portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States → online text (page 92 of 122)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Fanny, Groff, Christian and Peter.

Their third child, the subject of this sketch, re-
mained at home until 22 years ol age, assisting on
the farm and receiving a common-school education.
Leaving home, he was engaged in the commission
business nine years at Bird-in-Hand, in his native
county ; and while there he also studied medicine
for several years, and then practiced the profession
a year at Vogansville ; the next two years he also
followed farming. In 1858 he moved to New Vien-
na, Clinton Co., Ohio, where he followed the two vo-
cations for eleven months ; then the same again at
Sterling, this county, until 1875, since which time he
has been dealing in stock, in which business he has
fair success.

He is a Republican in his political views, and
both himself and wife belong to the Methodist Epis-
copal Church. He is a Christian gentleman.

He was married Nov. 18, 1847, to Miss Maria,
daughter of James and Harriet (Harsh) Blair, na-
tives also of the Keystone State. Mr. and Mrs,



-

'

.







.



770



WH1TES1DE COUNTY.










Burkholder have had seven children, three of whom
are living, namely: Christian, who married Miss
Mary Erwin, of Rockford, 111., and has five children;
"" Charley, Lotta, Homer, Harry and Alice; Fianna,
. who became the wife of Fred Kauffman, of Sterling,
Ox and the mother of Branch and Mercy J. ; and Mary,
now the wife of Dr. N. H. Lehman, of Ohio, and the
mother of Leroy.




^avid McMillan, of the firm of McMillan
& Wylie, lumber dealers and merchants,
at Tampico, was born Jan. 31, 1834, in
Fayette Co., Pa. Thomas McMillan, his
father, was a native of the same State. He was
a man of scholarly attainments and passed the
years of his early business life in teaching. Later
he became interested in farming. He was Commis-
sioner of Fayette a number of years. He married
Priscilla Arnold, the daughter of a farmer, and who
was one of the earliest settlers of Western Pennsyl-
vania, and belonged to the nationality known as
English descent. The father died in Fayette County
in 1853, and the mother died about ten years later.
Mr. McMillan was the second oldest child in or-
der of birth, and he had one brother and two sisters.
His father died when he was about 18 years old.
Previous to that time he attended the common school.
Subsequently he took charge of the homestead, liv-
ing with his mother until her death. After that
event he came to Illinois, making his first location
near Buda, Bureau County, settling on a farm of 200
acres. He continued its management for four years.
He spent a year prospecting in various Western
States for the purpose of selecting a suitable loca-
tion, and finally boujit 160 acres of land in Mont-
gomery Co., Iowa, near the village of Red Oak.
Later on he came to Whiteside County and entered
into the business relations in which he has since
been interested. He is the owner of 160 acres of
land in Tampico Township, which is under partial
improvement. The firm owns a considerable amount
of property in the village of Tampico. Their busi-
ness covers the transactions common to trade in



lumber, general merchandise, hardware, agricultural
implements, coal, etc.

Mr. McMillan was married Oct. 21, 1879, in Lyn-
don, to Mollie Patterson. James and Mary Pannell
Patterson, her parents, were natives of Pennsylvania,
where they belonged to the agricultural class. They
were early settlers in Lyndon and were connected
with the pioneer history. Their farm was located in
the vicinity of the village of Lyndon, where Mrs. Mc-
Millan was born. She was brought up and educated in
the district schools and in the village schools at
Lyndon. She became a teacher and followed that
vocation for some years. Leroy and Clark are the
names of the children of Mr. and Mrs. McMillan.
The mother is a zealous member of the Congrega-
tional Church.

Mr. McMillan has served the interests of his
township as Supervisor, and is at present School
Treasurer. He has also acted in the capacity of
Village Trustee. He experienced a severe loss of
property in the destruction of dwellings in the tor-
nado of June 6, 1874.





x->v *,



larles W. Worthington, Postmaster of
Sterling, was born in that city, Sept. 16,
1838. His father, Eiijah Worthington,
was a native of Connecticut, from whence he
moved to Luzerne Co., Pa., engaging in mer-
cantile pursuits at Pittston, and as newspaper
publisher at Wilkesbarre. In 1833 he was married
to Miss Eliza Ann Merritt, of the latter place, and in
1835 emigrated to Illinois, becoming one of the orig-
inal proprietors of what is now the city of Sterling.
He died in 1839. His widow married Leonard Goss,
moving to his home at Mt. Carroll, where she died
in 1846. From eight years of age until thirteen,
Charles, the subject of our sketch, had no permanent
abiding place, but " grew up with the country " as
best he could. At 13 he entered the office of H. G.
Grattan, at Mt. Carroll, to learn the printing busi-
ness, and, after three years' apprenticeship, returned
to Sterling, serving the various grades as compositor,
foreman and local editor of the Sterling Times,
until circumstances mustered the paper out of exist-










.









WHITHSIDE COUNTY.




tence, in 1857. After a year's sojourn in St. Louis,
perfecting himself in the printers' art, he accepted
the position of foreman and local editor of the Sterl-
ing Gazette, then published by Wm. Caffrey. In
1861, in company with his father-in-law, W. C. Page,
he purchased the Gazette and continued in the man-
agement of the office until 1875, except a short in-
terval in 1870, and during his term of service in the
army, as First Lieutenant of Co. A, I4oth 111. Vol.
Inf. He has filled several official positions, viz. :
Collector of Taxes in 1861; Alderman in 1863-4;
United States Revenue Inspector and storekeeper in
1866-7. In 1880 he was appointed Postmaster, and
re-appointed in 1884.

Mr. Worthington is a " native, and to the manner
born," being the first male child born in the settle-
ment ; and can justly take pride in the fact that he
has seen the rude cabins of pioneer days give place
to the thriving city of the present time to the pros-
perity of which he has contributed in no small
degree.




TS*



pohn W. White, attorney at Tampico, was
born Oct. 7, 1852, in La Salle Co., 111.
His father, John White, was born near the
city of Rome, Oneida Co., N. Y. The family
are descendants of ancestry that settled in the
Empire State in the earliest period of its his-
tory. The senior White went in his early life to
Allegany County, in his native State, and was mar-
ried in Danville, to Thankful Clark, who was of
similar birth and ancestry. Mr. White became
Captain of the Slate Militia, of the section where he
resided, and held his commission under Gov. Sew-
ard until he resigned to come West. In 1851, the
family removed to La Salle Co., III., and fixed their
residence at Northville. The mother died there in
1854, when John W. was but two years old. The
father removed after her death to Whiteside County,
and lived in Hahnaman Township, settling later in
the Township of Tampico, were he died, in, 1879,
aged 69.

Mr. White of this sketch was a member of his
father's family till 1875, working on the farm and
attending school. In that year he went to Minne-




sota and thence to Iowa. He became a student of
law with the legal firm of White & Varner, of Adel,
Dallas County, and read for his profession under
their preceptorship until 1877, when he came to
Tampico, and established his business. He has
conducted his affairs singly. Mr. White was ad-
mitted to the privileges of the Courts of Iowa, at
Des Moines, in 1876, and of those of the tribunals
of Illinois, in 1878, on examination before the proper
authorities. Mr. White has met with the success
which is the just reward of industrious application in
his business relations. He has acquired by pur-
chase farm and town property in Tampico Town-
ship, and in the village where he resides. He is
also the owner of a very complete law library.

Mr. White was married April 7, 1883, at Rock
Falls, Whiteside County, to Lizzie, only daughter of
Charles E. and Mary (Russell) Payson. She was
born Oct. 21, 1857, in Chemung Co., N. Y. Her
parents moved to Sterling when she was 12 years of
age, going later to Rock Falls. Before her marriage
Mrs. White was engaged in the business of dress-
making. Bessie, born Feb. n, 1884, is the only
child.

Mr. White is a Republican of decided type. He
is at present (1885) Village Attorney, and has held
the office a number of years. He has also been
Supervisor several terms. He is Senior Warden of
the Masonic Lodge at Tampico, of which he is a
member. Mr. and Mrs. White are members of the
Methodist Episcopal Church, he being one of the
Church officers.



rank Hadaway, one of the energetic, pros-
perous and representative farmers of
Whiteside County, residing on section 21,
Prophetstown Township, and the proprietor of
760 acres in the township, was born in Essex
Co., N. Y., July 27, 1832. His father, Lot
Hadaway, was a native of Vermont, and a farmer
and lumberman by occupation. His mother, Are-
thusa (Tarbull) Hadaway, was also a native of Ver-
mont. The parents had a family of six children,
only two of whom survive, Frank and Susan. She
is the wife of Burchard Chapman, a farmer in
Kansas.

Mr. Hadaway was reared on a farm and also

= -**




7





jfiu/ 1






I



1

s

s






brought up to the occupation of a lumberman. In
January, 1855, he came to this county and purchased
80 acres of land, located on the site of his present
farm, which he had purchased in 1853. He engaged
in running the Prophetstown ferry one year, and
broke prairie one season, and then located on his
farm. He made a number of improvements on his
farm, and by good judgment, energetic effort and
determination, combined with economy and co-oper-
ation on the part of his good helpmeet, he has sub-
sequently added by purchase to his landed interests
until he is now the possessor of the large acreage
stated, to wit, 760 acres in his home farm. He
also owns 80 acres in Prophetstown Township, 52
acres in Portland Township, besides 240 acres north
of Spring Hill, same township, and 320 acres in
Kansas. He raises each year a number of cattle,
hogs and sheep, which he ships direct to Chicago.
He is a member of the Masonic Order and was one
of the charter members of the Prophetstown lodge.

Mr. Hadaway was united in marriage to Miss
Georgiana Burk, in 1860. She was born in Portland
Township, this county, and bore him two children,
George S., who is a farmer in Prophetstown Town-
ship ; and Julia, now a resident of Prophetstown, is
a photographer by profession. Mrs. Hadaway died
in Prophetstown Township, July 27, 1868, and Mr.
Hadaway was again married in the same Township,
Sept. 5, 1869, to Mary K. Martin. She was born
April 23, 1844, at Livonia, Washington Co., Ind.,
and has borne him four children. Frank Martin,
Susan, Kingley T. and Zetta. George S. was united
in marriage to Mary Bechel, March 10, 1885.



i,apt. James Hugunin, resident at Albany,
was born Dec. 24, 1839, in Butler Co.,
Ohio. His father, James Hugunin, was
born in 1806, in Oswego Co., N. Y., and was
taken by his parents, in his early boyhood,
to Ohio, where his father secured a claim of
land from the United States. The site of the city
of Cincinnati now includes the land comprised in
the claim. He constructed a residence, which his
family occupied a short time, after which it was
sold, and they went to Butler County. The father
returned to Massachusetts, and died in his native




WHITESIDE COUNTY.




place. James Hugunin (first) grew to manhood in
Butler County, and married Sarah Flack, a native of
Ohio. They lived in Butler County until 1840, when
they removed to this State, and five years later
cair.e to Albany.' The parents, with five chil-
dren, came from Ohio overland with their own con-
veyance. Mr. Hugunin at first selected a location a
little east of Albany, and later went to the township
of Garden Plain, whence he removed to Clay Co.,
Kan., and is now resident there.

Capt. Hugunin was but six years old when his
parents came to Albany. He was but 15 when, in
the fall of 1854, he engaged in the capacity of a
common hand on the river, and h e has spent every
successive season in the same service in the several
capacities of common hand, pilot and Captain. He
is also the owner of forty acres of land, and gives
some attention to agriculture. He is interested in
good breeds of horses, and owns some fine thorough-
bred Almont Rattlers.

He was married Aug. 16, 1859, to Sarah Whistler.
She was born Feb. 7, 1841, in Morrow Co., Ohio,
and is the daughter of John and Elizabeth (Kiehl)
Whistler. John E., Clara M., Harry D. and Ida
Augusta are the names of their children.








amuel S. Epla, a resident of Lyndon, was
born Sept. 22, 1832, in Rockingham Co.,
Va. When he was about five years of age
his parents, John and Elizabeth Epla, went
to Ohio and settled in Clarke County. His
mother died there. Four years after his father
went to that county, the son left there and went to
Vigo Co., Ind., to reside with a brother-in-law, with
whom he made his home until he was 13 years of
age. In 1845 he went to Paw Paw Grove, Lee Co.
111., and he lived there ten years. He went, in 1855,
to Minnesota, and made a claim four miles west of
Owatonna, broke and fenced a part of the land and
built a log-house. He was actively engaged in the
prosecution of his agricultural projects until 1863.
He became interested in the progress of the civil war,
and in the year last named he enlisted in Company
C., Second Minnesota Cavalry. His regiment was in
frontier service, in which he was engaged about one
year, when he wa.s disabled by being thrown from






WHITESlDE COUNTY.




a horse and received honorable discharge. He re-
turned to Minnesota and resided there until his re-
.. ,, moval to Lyndon in 1873. In 1875 he opened a
barber-shop, which he continued to manage until



He was married July 18, 1867, to Clara, daughter
of Gustavus and Caroline (Denzer) Burke, of Owa-
tonna. They have one child Viola May.



Clark Miller, baker and confectioner,
Third Street, Sterling, was born in
Chambersburg, Franklin Co., Pa., Feb. 5,
1842, and is a son of David and Mary
(Swisher) Miller, natives of Pennsylvania and
members of the farming community.
The subject of this notice remained at home until
19 years of age, receiving a common-school educa-
tion. He then served two and a half years at the
blacksmith trade, and in r863 came to Sterling,
where he followed his trade ten years, a part of the
time as a journeyman. Next, he was an employee
of the William & Orton Manufacturing Company
for about eight years, and finally, in 1882, he bought
out the bakery and confectionery business of W. M.
Greeting, in which line he has since continued, en-
joying a signal success. He owns, also, his resi-
dence on Spruce Street, blocks 2 and 3.

In February, 1885, Mr. Miller married Miss D. A.
Newton, of Titusville, Pa. He belongs to the First
English Lutheran Church, and to the Woodmen of
America, and in politics is a Republican.





^-*K-'^>fv, e\vr

homas Burke, general farmer, section 25,
Hume. Township, was born in 1831, in
County Tipperary, Ireland. About the
year 1852, he emigrated to the United States.
He first located in New Jersey, and later went
to Northampton Co., Pa. He was married
there in 1856, to Mary Fay, who was born in Ireland
wt and came when she was eight ye'ars of age to Amer-
ica. The family first settled in Connecticut and went
afterwards to Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Burke
have been the parents of 13 children, of whom two
are no longer living. Mary married John Taylor





and lives near Platte Center, Neb. Thomas lives on
the farm in Hume Township, as also do William,
John, Patrick, Anna, Bridget, David, James, Ellen
and Edward. Honora and Michael died in child-
hood.

Soon after marriage Mr. Burke went to New Jersey,
where he lived two years, and in r858 he removed
his family to Sterling, 111. During his residence there
he purchased land in the township of Hahnaman, on
which he moved after two years. He went thence
to Montmorency Township, where he was the occu-
pant and owner of 200 acres of land. He sold the
place in 1881 and purchased 240 acres of land in
Hume Township, where he has since been engaged
in prosperous farming. Mr. Burke is a Democrat in
political relations, and is at present a School Director

The family are members of the Catholic Church.



. Henry Utley, physician at Sterling, was
born in Oneida Co., N. Y., June 23, 1822.
His parents were Henry and Sarah (Morse)
Utley, nat ives respectively of Rhode Island
and Connecticut, who died in Oneida Co., N. Y.
His father was by occupation a tanner arid
saddler.

At the age of 16 years the subject of this sketch
attended school at Whitesborough and then the
Clinton Institute. In 1846 he traveled through the
Southern States, mostly in Alabama and Louisiana,
for his health. Recovering it, he returned to Rome,
Oneida Co., N. Y., where he continued his medical
studies (which he had begun), in the office of Dr.
Pope. He then attended a course of lectures at the
Yale Medical College at New Haven, and another at
the New York University and the Bellevue Hospital
Medical College, where he received his diploma. He
commenced the practice of his chosen profession at
Turin, Lewis Co., N. Y., continuing eight years, when
he came to Como, this county, and practiced medi-
cine there for six years. Receiving then an appoint-
ment as Surgeon of the 75 th Regt. 111. Vol. Inf., he
proceeded to Louisville, Ky., and to Perry ville, where
he had charge of the hospital two months. Next, he
had charge of the hospital at Danville, Ky., where he
received an injury to his left leg which laid him up
and compelled him to resign. Gov. Yates gave him










* '







a commission promoting him and permitting him to
remain at home until he could return to the field
^ when his health was regained ; and, although the
Sanitary Commission of Sterling sent him to Nash-
ville and Murfreesboro, Tenn., his health continued
so poor that he had to return home to remain. Since
then he has continued the practice of his profession
at Sterling, with marked success. He is one of the
leading physicians of this part of the country. In his
political views he is a Republican.

May i, 1868, he married Miss C. S. Butler, daugh
ter of Ezekiel Butler, of Rome, N. Y., and they have
three sons: J. F., who married Cora Richards, of
Sterling; H. B., who married Miss Mattie Harden,
also of Sterling; and W. P., who married Miss Lida
Howland, of Rock Falls.



,.enry Miller, farmer, section 16, Genesee
Township, was born in the village of Ham-
den, Vinton Co., Ohio, March 12, 1837.
Samuel Miller, his father, was born in Virginia
and was a stone-mason by vocation. He was
left early in life without the care of his father,
and he was still in young manhood when he went
to Ohio, where he married Catherine Flowers. Her
father was a German teacher in Pennsylvania. Mr.
Miller, senior, was a resident of Vinton County after
he was married, until his death, about the year 1867.
The mother died in August, 1882. They reared a
family of seven children, born in the order named :
Joseph, John, Maria, Samantha, Mary, Henry and
Kate. Samantha and Mary are not living. Mr.
Miller set about the earning of his own livelihood
when he was 20 years of age. He went to Southern
New York, whence, after remaining some months, he
came to Illinois with his family.

He was married Nov. 9, 1858, in Vinton Co., Ohio,
to Mary, daughter of John and Eliza (Ayers) Yager.
Her parents were born respectively in Pennsylvania
and Maryland, and were of Dutch descent and an-
cestry in the paternal line. John Yager was born
Jan. 3, 1809, in Union Co., and went with his parents
in 1812 to Pickaway Co , Ohio. In 1820 the family
made another removal to Jackson County, in the
same State. He was married April 19, 1829, and, in
1836, located at Chamber's Grove, III. Seven years




1



later he settled near Genesee Grove, where he died.
Ten children were born to him, of whom but two are
living. Mrs. Miller has one sister, Mrs. Harriet
Brookfield, of Sterling. The wife and mother died
Oct. 2, 1852. Mr. Yager was again married Dec. 12,
1853, in Jeffersonville, Ind., to Catherine Nance, who
died, without issue, June 17, 1863. Mr. Yager con-
tracted a third marriage, with Mrs. Margaret A. Mc-
Crea, Nov. 16, 1863.

Mrs. Miller was born June 21, 1836, in Vinton
Co., Ohio, and was only three months old when her
parents came to Illinois. They settled in Ogle
County, and when they came to Whiteside County,
Genesee Township was practically unsettled. Fol-
lowing is the record of the children of Mr. and Mrs.
Miller: William, married Cynthia Pulver, and lives
in Hardin Co., Iowa; O. W. lives in Iowa; John is a
resident of Milledgeville, Carroll Co., 111. Nell and
Hattie live at home with their parents (1885).
Samuel is still an inmate of the paternal home. After
their marriage in 1858, Mr. and Mrs. Miller came to
Whiteside County and took charge of Mr. Yager's
farm. In the fall of 1860 they made a journey to
Vinton Co., Ohio, in a wagon, and, in the autumn of
the year following, they returned in the same way to
Illinois. They resumed their former relations on the
Yager homestead, which they maintained two years,
and, in 1863, bought 60 acres of land in the same
township. After some time they removed to Mil-
ledgeville, Carroll Co., 111., where Mr. Miller en-
gaged in the grocery trade and also became inter-
ested in a livery stable. In March, 1884, they
returned to the homestead of Mr. Yager, which he
had willed to his daughter, Mrs. Miller. Mr. Miller
is a Republican in political views and connections.







'ohn H. Kreider has been a farmer on sec-
tion 13, Sterling Township, since the fall
of 1854. He was born Dec. 3, 1814, in
Lancaster Co., Pa., and is the only surviving
child of his parents, John and Catherine
(Hostetter) Kreider, who were natives and life-
long residents of Pennsylvania. Their children were
six in number, and five died in childhood.

Mr. Kreider acquired a common-school education
and lived at home with his parents until the age of







Wff/TESSDE COUNTY.




775



22 years. He then obtained employment as a farmer
and passed 13 years in that and other occupations in
his native State. He first purchased 155 acres of
land, and increased his property to a little less than
200 acres by later purchase. His farm now includes
150 acres of land, under good tillage and with good
buildings.

He was married Nov. 9, 1836, in Lancaster Co.,
Pa., to Sarah Heidelbuch. She was born in the
county where she was married, Feb. i, 1819, and is
the youngest child of John J. and Sarah Heidelbuch,
who were the parents of eight children.

Mr. and Mrs. Kreider have had six children,
Catherine, Jacob, David, Henry, John and Sarah.
Only three children are still living. The mother is
a member of the Mennonite Church. Mr. Kreider
is identified with the Republican party in political
preference. He has been Highway Commissioner
about 15 years.

^ ^ .<-> - -




M. Cunningham, dealer in drugs, patent
medicines, glass, stationery, clocks, watch-
es, jewelry, etc., at Erie, is a son of An-
drew and Sabrina (Mumford) Cunningham,
and was born in Exeter, Otsego Co., N. Y.,
Jan. 31, 1846. Mr. Cunningham was eight
years of age when his parents permanently settled
on a farm in Taylor Township, Ogle County.

Mr. Cunningham remained on his father's farm in
Ogle County until 18 years of age, receiving the ad-
vantages afforded by the common schools. He then
went to Mt. Morris, same county, in which he re-
sided and engaged in the drug business. He served
three years in the latter and in 1874 came to Erie,
this county, and conducted a drug-store for his
father. He soon afterwards purchased the neces-
sary tools for watch repairing, and carried on that
business in connection with the former. He con-
tinued to conduct both branches of the business
until 1884. His father died Feb. 24 of that year,
and he became full possessor of the business July
i, 1885. He carries a stock approximating $2,000.
He has a good and constantly increasing trade. He
has two patent medicines, Cunningham's Anti-bil-
ious Elixir, and The Good Samaritan. The former
he warrants a sure cure for bilious fever, fever and



Online LibraryChapman BrothersPortrait and biographical album of Whiteside County, Illinois : containing full-page portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States → online text (page 92 of 122)