Chapman Publishing Company.

Portrait and biographical record of Seneca and Schuyler Counties, New York. Containing portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the counties. Together with biographies and portraits of all the presidents of the United States online

. (page 21 of 58)
Online LibraryChapman Publishing CompanyPortrait and biographical record of Seneca and Schuyler Counties, New York. Containing portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the counties. Together with biographies and portraits of all the presidents of the United States → online text (page 21 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


N. Y., the subject of this sketch was born Sep-
tember 22, 1826. The grandfather, Peter Van
Allen, was a native of Kinderhook, Columbia
County, N. Y., his ancestors coming from Hol-
land. They were among the first Dutch settlers
of New York, emigrating about 1620. The fa-
ther, John P., was also born in Kinderhook, Co-
lumbia County, February i, 1794, and was reared
to manhood on a farm. His marriage united him
with Elizabeth Cooper, a native of Schodack,
Rensselaer County, N. Y., and daughter of John
Cooper, who removed from Rensselaer to Cayuga
County, settling near the village of Cato.

The parental family consisted of four sons and
four daughters, of whom four are still living,
John J. being the third of the number. His boy-
hood days were passed at Angelica, Allegany,
County, where he was a student in the district



schools and the academy. Later he carried on
his studies in the Genesee Wesleyan Seminary at
Lima, N. Y. For five years he clerked in stores
at Angelica, Waterloo and Seneca Falls. On
completing his literary studies, he began to read
law with Diven, Hathaway & Woods, at Elmira,
and in July, 1851, was admitted to practice at the
Bar in Cooperstown, Otsego County, at the gen-
eral term of the Supreme Court.

Immediately afterward Mr. Van Allen came to
Watkins, and commenced a general law practice,
to which the succeeding years have been devoted.
Having practiced forty-four years in the county,
he is, as above stated, the oldest member of the
Schuyler County Bar. In January, 1856, he was
admitted to the Supreme Court of the United
States at Washington, D. C, and practices in
state and federal courts.

The political views of Mr. Van Allen are of a
positive character; he is a Democrat of the Jeffer-
sonian school, and he has been intimately identi-
fied with the history of that party for forty years
or more. On different occasions he has been a
delegate to national and state conventions, in
which he has taken an active part, discharging
his duties in a praiseworthy manner. During the
campaign of Horace Greeley, Mr. Van Allen did
not favor him for President, and with other mem-
bers of the party he issued a circular letter to
prominent Democrats throughout the country,
tirging that a Democratic candidate be placed in



226



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



the field in opposition to Greeley. The result
was that a convention met at lyouisville, Ky.,
September 3, 1872, when Charles O'Conor was
nominated for President and John Quincy Adams
for Vice-President. The former, however, de-
clined the nomination.

June 21, 1852, Mr. Van Allen married Miss
Sophia Iv. Downer, daughter of Joseph G. Dow-
ner, an old resident of Auburn, N. Y. She died
February 15, 1874, leaving four children, namely:
Charlotte L., wife of L. Comstock, of Oxford,
Chenango Coifnty, N. Y.; Washington Irving,
an attorney residing at Mt. Morris, N. Y. ; Altia,
who is married and lives in Detroit, Mich.; and
Margaretta, who is at home. The present wife
of Mr. Van Allen, with whom he was united Feb-
ruary 23, 1875, was Miss Anna Augusta Bennett,
of Norwich, Chenango County, N. Y. Socially
our subject is connected with Jefferson Lodge No.
326, F. & A. M., at Watkins. A generous, kind-
hearted man, he gives of his means to all worthy
objects, especially those calculated to promote
the general welfare, and to the needy his aid is
always cheerfully extended.




GlRTHUR C. WOODWARD. As one of the
LJ leading Republicans of Schuyler County,
/ I Mr. Woodward is well known throughout
the state. For some years he has made his home
in Watkins, and in the public affairs of this vil-
lage he has been an important factor. For six
years he was Deputy County Clerk, and for fif-
teen consecutive years ofiiciated in the capacity of
Clerk of the county, which responsible position
he filled with such efficiency as to win not only
the commendation of those of his own political
belief, but also the approval of his political op-
ponents.

In the town of Hector, now a part of Schuyler



County (but then incorporated in Tompkins) , the
subject of this notice was born October 10, 1847.
His father, Capt. John Woodward, was born in
Devonshire, England, and came to America at
the age of fourteen years, settling in the town of
Hector, where he afterward married Miss Mary
Peck. This lady, who was a native of Hector,
was born in 1816, and died in 1864. A highly
successful farmer, Mr. Woodward was also a pub-
lic-spirited citizen, and served twice in the posi-
tion of Supervisor. He was recognized as a man
of integrity of character and large ability, and
his death, Augu,st 25, 1865, was mourned as a
common loss.

The parental family consisted of six children,
all living, four sons and two daughters, Arthur
C. being the next to the youngest. The eldest,
John H., was a soldier in the army, and served
as Major on the staff of the commanding General
of the Army of the Potomac, being under Mac-
Clellan, Hooker, Burnside, Meade and Grant at
different times. His home is now in Portland,
Ore. , where he is known as an able lawyer. At
one time he filled the office of County Judge.
Benjamin W. was elected Judge of Schuyler
County at the age of twenty-eight. Afterward
he removed to Brooklyn, where he now has a
large law practice. Charles M. is a physician and
surgeon at Tecumseh, Mich. The elder daugh-
ter, Harriet, graduated from the Syracuse Medi-
cal College in 1873, and has since practiced in
Albany, N. Y. Mary L. married O. H. Budd,
of the town of Hector, who was Supervisor in
the years 1894 and 1895, and in the fall of 1895
was elected as the Republican candidate to the
Legislature.

The education of our subject was obtained
principally at the Peach Orchard school. He
remained on the farm until he was twenty-five
years old, when he was appointed Deputy to
County Clerk Edward Kendall. He was with
that gentleman three years, and for the same
length of time was with his successor, Myron
H. Weaver. In the fall of 1878 he was elected
County Clerk by a majority of sixteen hundred
and seventy-nine, and three years later was re-
elected. The third time he was elected without



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAI, RECORD.



227



opposition from the Democratic party. Five
times he was elected to the office, serving fifteen
years altogether. Agriculture is his principal
occupation at the present time.

November 20, 1870, Mr. Woodward married
Miss Emma A., daughter of Alfred and Emeline
(Warner) Everts. She died in 1878, leaving
two children, Alfred C. and James H. After-
ward Mary F., a sister of his first wife, was
united with him, but their marriage tie was sev-
ered by her death Aprils, 1889. March i, 1890,
Mr. Woodward was united in marriage, at Ver-
non, Mich., with Miss Laura D. Goss, who died
January 22, 1895, leaving a son, Arthur Weston.
His present wife was Ella (Reynolds) Wager,
who was united with him October 3, 1895. ^^
1888 Mr. Woodward erected his fine brick resi-
dence at the corner of Franklin and Eighth
Streets, which is one of the ornaments of the
village. He is the owner of valuable property,
both in Watkins and in the country, and has
been exceedingly fortunate in business mat-
ters.




EEARENCE D. SMEAD, D. V. S., associate
editor of the National Stockman, a journal
which has a wide circulation throughout the
States, is also a prominent farmer and stock-raiser
of the town of Hector, Schuyler County, and is
an extensive breeder of Shropshire sheep. He
was born in Logan, this county, September 13,
1843, and is now one of the oldest residents in
the place. His parents were Lysander and So-
phia (Mapes) Smead, the former a native of
Seneca County, whence he came to this locality
about 1835. For about eighteen years thereafter
he was one of the well-to-do and prosperous mer-
chants of Logan, after which he retired to the
farm on which the Doctor is now living. The
tract then embraced eighty acres, but our subject



has .since added to it until it now embraces one
hundred and thirty-one acres. On this place the
lather departed this life in March, 1859, at the
age of fifty years. His place was conspicuous
for the improvements found upon it, and the own-
er was well known in this vicinity as a man of
temperance principles, which he supported both
by example and precept.

Our subject's mother was a daughter of Will-
iam Mapes, a resident of Orange County, where
she was born. She is still living, making her
home at East Genoa, Cayuga County, this state,
and is in her seventy -fourth year. Her only son
was Clarence D., the original of this sketch. His
father dying when he was a lad of sixteen years,
he took charge of the home place, whereon he has
made his home ever since.

In February, 1865, occurred the marriage of
our subject and Miss Hester Smith, the daughter
of Whitley J. and Olive (Smith) Smith, promi-
nent among the old and notable families of the
state. Mrs. Smead was born in Tioga County,
and was brought to this section by her parents
when an infant. Her mother died soon afterward
and she was taken care of by her maternal grand-
parents.

Mrs. Sophia Smead, the mother of our subject,
was a second time married, and on that event sold
her interest in the home place to her son. Being
a great lover of horses, and desirous of informing
himself regarding their treatment, he entered the
College of Veterinary Surgery at Philadelphia,
from which he was graduated in 1872, with the
degree of D. V. S. His mother was very much
disappointed at this turn in affairs, as it was her
ambition to have him become a minister. His
father was desirous of making a lawyer of him,
and when he found that his son was fond of read-
ing books bearing on the subject of horses, their
diseases, etc. , he forbade the neighbors to lend
him any.

It is now over twenty years since Dr. Smead
became a veterinar}^ surgeon. He has practiced
with good results, becoming well known to the
horsemen of the state, and is at present associate
editor on the staff of the Na/iona/ Stockman, hav-
ing charge of the veterinary department. He



228



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



keeps up his studies in this line, and is a lecturer
in the Farmers' Institute. Now, however, his
practice is mainly of an experimental character
for college and newspaper use.

The Doctor has been a breeder of Shropshire
sheep for seventeen years, having at the present
time about one hundred of these animals on his
place. He has imported many of his finest ani-
mals, and never fails to carry off the blue rib-
bons at the various state fairs where they are
placed on exhibition. Dr. Smead has been for
the past four years President of the New York
State Shropshire Breeders' Association, and is
considered authority on all diseases relating to
this breed of sheep. Although he has on various
occasions been called upon to fill positions of hon-
or in colleges in the country, he has always re-
fused to do so, feeling that he can be of more
benefit to his fellow-men by remaining on his
farm, experimenting and making known the re-
sults through his department in the papers, and
also in his lectures before the students of the
Farmers' Institute. He is a stanch supporter of
Republican principles, and although not a mem-
ber of any particular church, gives liberally of
his means to the various denominations in his
neighborhood.



l(s). ..^^)4



(^^'



^



Gl UGUSTINE S. PARISH. This is the name
Ll of a highly respected and very successful
/ I farmer in the town of Ovid, and a man
widely experienced in the affairs of the world.
He was born in this town, October 27, 1841, a
son of William F. and Hannah A. (Bailey) Par-
ish, natives of New Jersey and Orange County,
N. Y., respectively. His grandfather, Thomas
Parish, was a native of England, and came to
this country and settled in New Jersey. For his
first wife he married Eunice Farmer, and re-



moved to this county about the year 1830. He
had a large family of children, of whom we men-
tion the following: John, who was a farmer, lo-
cated near Chicago. Benjamin made his home in
Tecumseh, Mich. Peter lives near Eaton Rapids,
in the same state. Seneca is a hardware mer-
chant in Chicago. Isaiah is a painter in Shorts-
ville. Jacob is in Michigan. Kate married Fer-
mon Conover, and went to the same state. Mary
married Seneca Harvey, and died in this state.
William F. is the youngest child. The grandfa-
ther's second wife bore him no children. He
was a farmer by occupation, and spent the last
years of his life at Waterloo, where he passed the
full Biblical allowance of fourscore years. In
the Reformed Church he served as an Elder.

William F. Parish, the father of our subject,
was born in 1817, and came to Seneca County
with his family by wagon. He was a farmer all
his life, and at his death, February 21, 1892,
possessed ninety-six acres. In politics he was a
Republican, and in religion a member of the
Presbyterian Church. His wife, who is still liv-
ing, became the mother of five children , of whom
our subject is the eldest. Eyman W. is Post-
master and a merchant at Starke}'. William Far-
mer is a resident of the town of Seneca Falls.
Mary married Filmore Slack, and died in Ovid,
leaving no children. Martha is the wife of
Charles Rice.

Our subject was reared on the farm, was edu-
cated at Ovid Academy, and resided at home un-
til 1862, when he enlisted in Company C, One
Hundred and Twenty-sixth New York Infantry.
After serving one year and participating in the
battle of Harper's Ferry, he was discharged on
account of physical disability and returned home.
One year later, however, he was called to Wash-
ington, D. C, to take a position in the Quarter-
master's office, and after holding this position
one year he again came back to his native town.
Here, in 1867, Susan, daughter of Eeland Fen-
ner, became his bride. She was born near
Akron, Erie County, N. Y., May 10, 1846.
After his marriage Mr. Parish purchased a farm,
and has continued to cultivate the same to the
present time. He has been the owner of several



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



229



valuable places, and now owns sixty-six acres.
In connection with this he carries on a rented
farm of nearly two hundred and fifty acres.

Politically Mr. Parish is a Republican. His
party has put him into several important local
offices, and he is now serving a term of four years
as Supervisor. He is an earnest worker in local
politics, and his word goes a long way in deter-
mining party affairs. In religious and social
matters he takes much interest, and is a member
of the Baptist Church, of the order of Patrons of
Husbandry, and of the Grand Army of the Re-
public. For two years Mr. Parish traveled over
the western regions of this country, and he feels
that he knows something about the land in
which he lives, more, perhaps, than many of the
"globe-trotters" who are constantly busy on the
other side of the world. He has been honest
and active, and by his careful economy has ac-
cumulated all his property.

Mr. and Mrs. Parish are the parents of four
sons. George S. is a railroad agent at Shel-
drake. Frank A. fills the same position at
Cayuga. John L- is a telegraph operator; while
Hiram B. is still at home. The two eldest boys
began railroading at the age of sixteen, learning
operating while working on the farm.



— ♦•3-iK®!




®>C<«—



gENJAMIN KING, one of the oldest resi-
dents of Seneca County, has passed his en-
tire life here, and at the same time he has
won the respect and esteem of all his acquaint-
ances. He was born in the town of Covert,
where he now lives, February 9, 1813, and is
therefore eighty-two years of age.

Our subject is the son of Tertullus Kiug, who
came to this county in company with his father,
Brazilla King, as early as 1795- The journey



was made overland during the winter from
Dutchess County, N. Y., and proved a very tedi-
ous one to the little party of travelers. Upon lo-
cating in this county, the grandfather took up six
hundred acres of uncultivated land, upon which
he erected a log house, which sheltered the house-
hold for a great many years. The father of our
subject was one in a family of seven sons and one
daughter, all of whom lived to mature years and
became the heads of families. At the time of his
death the father was living in this town, and his
remains were interred in the Trumansburg Ceme-
tery.

The lady whom Tertullus King married was
Miss Elizabeth Green. To them were born the
following children: MoUie, Joseph, Lura and
Asa, all deceased; Huldah, who died at the age
of eighty-five years; and Benjamin, of this sketch.
The latter was fairly well educated, and was thor-
oughly trained in farm duties. The lady whom he
chose as his wife and helpmate was Miss Elizabeth
Edwards, who was born June 9, 1812, in Wilkes
Barre, Pa. Their union resulted in the birth of
two children, Mary and Tertullus, the latter of
whom is a local surveyor in this town, and is
also engaged in the nursery and vineyard busi-
ness. He married Miss Harriet P. Robinson,
and their seven children are named, respectively:
Elizabeth E., Alice C, Homer (deceased), Her-
bert P., Florence, Asa C. and Harry.

Our subject began in life for himself upon at-
taining his majority, and on the demise of his fa-
ther formed a partnership with his brother Joseph,
and together they carried on the home farm for
several years. Now, however, Mr. King operates
one hundred and twenty-four acres of this prop-
erty on his own account, and has met with suc-
cess in his farming ventures. Although his ad-
vanced years render it unadvisable for him to en-
gage in active labor, yet he keeps himself in
touch with what is going on around him on the
estate. During his younger years he was a
worker in the cause of the Republican party, al-
though he was never said to be a politician, leav-
ing that to men whose individual interests de-
manded less time than his own.

Upon the old homestead stands an apple tree



230



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAI, RECORD.




which has been growing for many years, and
which is known as the old "schoolhouse" apple
tree, from the fact that the first schoolhouse erect-
ed in the district was built on that spot.



^»c:-<*



ISAAC La MOREAUX, who is passing the
uneventful life of a farmer, is classed among
the well-to-do agriculturists of Seneca Coun-
ty. His farm is located in a very fertile portion
of the county, and its surroundings denote the
owner to be a man of thrift and enterprise. The
tract comprises one hundred and sixty acres, and
lies in the town of L,odi.

Mr. La Moreaux was born on the farm where
he now lives, February 12, 18 18. His father,
Daniel La Moreaux, was born in Orange County,
this state, August 27, 1771. The grandfather
was a native of France, and on coming to the
United States took part in the Revolutionary
War. Elizabeth Bloomer, the first wife of Dan-
iel La Moreaux, was born May 29, 1778, and by
her marriage became the mother of eight chil-
dren, all of whom are deceased with the excep-
tion of Robert. On the death of his first wife,
Mr. La Moreaux married Mary Lent, whose birth
occurred June 4, 1786. Of this union there were
born four children, viz.: Catherine; Isaac, of this
sketch; Thomas and Hannah. Isaac is the only
survivor of this family.

The father of our subject came from Orange to
Seneca County about the year 1801. The jour-
ney hither was made by ox-teams, and he was
one of the earliest to make his home in this sec-
tion. Very soon thereafter he purchased one
hundred acres of wild land, on which he cleared
a small space and erected a log cabin, in which
his family were made passably comfortable. The
following year the father purchased another one
hundred acres across the road from this place,
and there made his home until his decease, in



1853. He became one of the most successful
farmers of the county, and succeeded in accumu-
lating a hand.some fortune, owning at the time of
his decease three hundred acres of esicellent land.
He was fairly well educated, securing his knowl-
edge of the branches taught by attending the dis-
trict schools during odd seasons of farm work.

Mr. La Moreaux was married January 18, 1844,
to Miss Maria Lattourette. To them have been
born three children, of whom the eldest son,
Abraham, is an engineer at Penn Yan, N. Y.;
and Mary A. and Sarah are at home. Isaac re-
mained under the parental roof until after his
marriage, when he took possession of the tract
whereon he now makes his home.

In his political affiliation Mr. La Moreaux is a
strong Democrat, casting his first vote for Martin
Van Buren. He is much esteemed in the com-
munity where all his life has been passed, and by
industry and good management he has gathered
around him many of the comforts and conven-
iences of life, and is now enabled to sit down and
enjoy the fruits of his labor.



gHARLES L. GRIDLEY, widely known
throughout this portion of Seneca County,
deserves representation in this volume, and
it is with pleasure that we present this record of
his life to our readers. He is at present farm-
ing in the town of Junius, where he is the pro-
prietor of a fine and excellently cultivated estate.
The subject of this sketch was born in Sulli-
van County, N. Y., December 29, 1847, his par-
ents being Charles and Mary Matilda (Skinner)
Gridley, well-to-do residents of that county. They
moved to Saratoga County when our subject was
two years of age, and a little over a year there-
after the wife and mother died, leaving a family
of four children, of whom Charles L. was the
youngest. The father married again, and oiir



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



231



subject lived at home until reaching his twelfth
year, when he made his way to Clyde, Wayne
County, and although a stranger in that locality,
obtained work, for which he received his board
and clothes, and was also permitted to go to
school a part of the time. He lived with this
good Quaker family for two years, and on leav-
ing them worked out for eight months in the
year, receiving $7 per month, out of which he
was obliged to pay for his board, clothing and
schoolbooks. Notwithstanding these calls made
upon him, he saved in that time $45, and the
next year his services were rewarded by an in-
crease of a dollar a month. Out of this salary he
saved during the year $55, which, with the $45,
he put out at interest, thus giving him quite a
start. The third year he received $133 month,
and had he not made a contract with his em-
ployer the preceding year, he could have com-
manded $16, as his services were well worth that
amount.

December 16, 1863, when nearly sixteen ^years
of age, our subject enlisted in Company H, Ninth
New York Heavy Artillery, and with his regi-
ment was ordered to the front. Under the com-
mand of General Grant, the regiment did duty as
infantry in the battle of the Wilderness. After
this they guarded wagon trains until May 26,
1864, when occurred the battle of North Anna,
in which they also participated. From this place
they marched to Cold Harbor, and from June i
to June 1 1 were under fire there every day and
night.

In the battle of Cold Harbor our subject's
brother Edward, who was a member of the same
regiment, was wounded in the breast, the ball
passing through the shoulder and cutting off the
head of the shoulder bone, which our subject
has preserved. He was taken from the field of
battle, and although the doctors told him he
could not possibly live, he refused to have his
arm amputated. Contrary to their expectations,
he raUied, and is living at this writing and also
has some use of his wounded arm. He makes
his home in Clyde, Wayne County, and is the
father of a daughter, who is now married.

Charles L. participated in many other import-



ant engagements, fighting at Harper's Ferry,
Winchester, Cedar Creek, Fi-sher's Hill and Mt.
Jackson. After the last-named battle the regi-
ment went back to the James River, and was
encamped just south of Petersburg until after the
surrender of that city. From there they were
ordered to Burkeville Junction, and from there
marched to Danville, Va., where they did guard
duty. Upon the establishment of peace, they
marched to Washington, D. C, and participated
in the Grand Review, after which our subject was
mustered out of service at Ft. Ethan Allen, and
discharged October 10 at Hart's I.sland.

During his army experience our subject had
saved a little money, and after remaining in
Clyde a short time entered Eastman's Business



Online LibraryChapman Publishing CompanyPortrait and biographical record of Seneca and Schuyler Counties, New York. Containing portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the counties. Together with biographies and portraits of all the presidents of the United States → online text (page 21 of 58)