Copyright
Chapman Publishing Company.

Portrait and biographical record of St. Charles, Lincoln, and Warren counties, Missouri online

. (page 17 of 81)
Online LibraryChapman Publishing CompanyPortrait and biographical record of St. Charles, Lincoln, and Warren counties, Missouri → online text (page 17 of 81)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


they were the recipients of numerous remembrances
of the occasion, as well as the best wishes of their
friends for many years of continued happiness.



-,4..j..5.4.,^ig






JAMES L. EDELEN, of township 47, range 7,
has lived in St. Charles County since 1859.
He has many interesting reminiscences of life
in the West in early days, when wild game
was so abundant on these prairies that it was noth-
ing unusual to go out before breakfast and shoot
three or four deer.

The birth of our subject occurred in Prince
George's County, Md., March 16, 1824. His par-
ents were Aloysiusand Myra (Mudd) Edelen. The
family circle included three sons and Ave daugh-
ters. Louise, the only one besides our subject now
living, resides with him. She has been three times
married (being now the wife of Zimri Beck), and
has two living children. Aloysius Edelen came on
a prospecting tour to this state in 1835, arriving in
St. Louis May 8. At that time he could have
bought land in desirable localities for $7 an acre.
He remained for a year on a rented farm in Pike
County, and from there removed to Lincoln Coun-
ty, where he bought three hundred and twenty
acres. To this he afterward added one hundred
and sixty acres, which he- entered as a homestead,
and also an eightj'-acre claim, which he bought



from a man who had previously taken it up from
the Government. His death occurred in 1853, at
the age of fifty-six 3'ears. After tlie demise of his
first wife, in her fort3'-seventh j'ear, he wedded
Miss Elenor Kirley, who bore him four children.
Virginia, the only survivor of the family, is the
wife of Frank Kirkpatrick, of St. Charles.

James L. Edelen was reared under the parental
roof, and, as his father had plenty of slaves in his
boyhood daj's, his time was passed in play and in
attending the common schools. Until he had passed
his twent3'-tirst birthday he was never required to
do a day's work, but when it became necessary
he did not falter, but accomplished whatever he
undertook. On New Year's Da}^, 1849, he mar-
ried Catherine, daughter of James and Elizabeth
(Jaynes) Mudd. Mrs. Edelen is one of twelve
children, of whom six others survive, namely:
Samuel, Nicholas, Patrick, Robert, Linton and Sid-
ney. Robert is a practicing ph3'sician in St. Charles.
The year before his marriage our subject bought
a piece of land, some eighty acres, to which he
removed to begin housekeeping with his bride.
There the}- remained for two years, at the end of
which time Mr. Edelen sold out and invested the
sum realized therefrom in a farm of three hundred
and twenty acres. This place he operated for five
years, and then disposed of it to good advantage.
In 1859 he removed to St. Charles County, where
he has since made his home.

To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Edelen were born
twelve children, as follows: James and Horace, de-
ceased; Anna S., who married C. G. McKnight, and
has three children; Catherine O., wife of William
Stonebraker. by whom she has two children; James
A., who married Miss Jennie Mudd,, and has two
children; Alonzo, who wedded Miss Annie Meyer,
and is the father of five children; William, de-
ceased; Norman; Florence, wife of A. N. Bullitt,
and the mother of two children; Oakley, who mar-
ried Miss Cecila Carroll, and has one child; and
Clarence and Clara (twins), both deceased.

Both our worth}^ subject and his wife came from
families who have in most instances been noted for
their longevity. The grandparents of Mr. Ed-
elen on his father's side, Joseph and Alsey Edelen,
of St. George's County, Md., lived to be ninety



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



175



and seveuty-Hve years of age, respectively. The
maternal grandparents of Mrs. Edelen, Thomas and
AUie Jayncs, reached the ages of eighty and fifty
years respectively. Her fatlier, James Mudd, ar-
rived at the very old age of ninety-si.K years. Mr.
and Mrs. Edelen have lived lives of temperance
and usefulness, and though well advanced in years,
are wonderfully well preserved, being still active
both ill hody and mind. Politically Mr. Edelen
is identiliid with the Democratic party.



-^^[



H^



K



(^r^ LPHONSE AYMOND is an example of
r вАФ \ what a man may accomplish providing
he possesses good natural ability and is
industrious and persevering in his efforts to suc-
ceed. For over twenty years he has been a resi-
dent of St. Charles, where, in a business way, he
commenced at the bottom round of the ladder, and
has gradually worked his way upward. In 1886
he was made Secretary of the St. Ciiarles Car Com-
pany, with which he has been connected in one
caiiacity or anotlier for some two decades. The
wisdom of his employers in electing him to this
responsible position has been amply shown by the
zeal and ability ho has manifested in his discharge
of the arduous duties pertaining to the place.

Mr. Aymond was born in St. Louis, Mo., July
20, 1850, being a son of Francis and Anne (Cuny)
Aymond. He was reared and educated in his
native city, pursuing his studies in the public
schools until he was twelve years of age, after
which he spent two years in a select school and a
year in a commercial college. The next two years
were passed in clerking in a general store, and
then for three years he worked as a bookkeeper
for a commission house. A desire for adventure
and travel is inherent in most boys of spirit, and
about this time he yielded to his wishes in this di-
rection and started for Dakota, then considered
the ultima thule. Securing a position as clerk on
a steamboat which was plying the Red River of
the Nortli, he started on his journey tiirough the



North and West, and passed the next two years
on the frontier. Returning then to his native
city, a year later he went on a prospecting tour to
Florida, and there roamed about for another year.

Once more returning to St. Louis, Mr. Aymond
at last found himself obliged to settle down and
begin the serious business of life. He secured a
position in the car shops of this place as a com-
mon laborer, but was not daunted by the prospect,
and soon the natural talents of which he was pos-
sessed became evident to his employers. They im-
mediately took him out of the shops and gave him
a position as assistant bookkeeper. Since then he
has grown and prospered with this extensive busi-
ness, and, as previously mentioned, has been rap-
idly promoted, until for the p.ast eight years he has
served as Secretary. In every sense of the word
he is a self-made man, and has acquired success in
much less time than is necessary for most men to
reach the goal of their ambition. He is strictly
honorable and reliable in all business affairs, and
bears a high reputation for his commercial ability.

Always a great admirer of fast horses, Mr. Ay-
mond secured some fine specimens several years
ago, and now owns a number of celebrated trot-
ters, among which is the noted stallion, "Wilkes-
mont." He reseives tiiC right of voting for the
man he considers best qualified for public and offi-
cial position, and is not bound by any party ties-



lil^-.i^li



BEN L. EMMONS, of St. Charles, comes
from one of the most illustrious families
of Missouri, and one identified with the
early history of the state. For the past ten years
he has been engaged in conducting a general in-
surance and real-estate business, in both of which
lines he has been very successful. He is a stalwart
supporter of the Republican party, and discharges
every duty devolving upon him as a good citizen
with conscientious fidelity.

The paternal grandfather of our subject, Benja-
min Emmons, Sr., was a native of Schuylersville,
N. Y., his birth having occurred in 1757. His fa^



176



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



ther, also Benjamin E., was born in eastern Ver-
mont, very early in the eigliteenth century, and
removed from the Green Mountain State to Schuy-
lersville, N. Y., about 1722. Some six years later
he erected a one-story house, which is still stand-
ing and is owned by the English family. This
Benjamin Emmons, the great-grandfather of our
subject, was a member of the Provisional Govern-
ment of New York, and was a participant in the
War of the Revolution. He was also instrumental
in building a canal. In 1803 he started with his
family for Missouri, but died on tlie way, presum-
ably in Ohio, where it is supposed he was buried.
His wife proceeded on the westward journey with
the family, and died in St. Charles. Benjamin
Emmons, son of tiie above, was born, as before
stated, in New York, and after his father's death
continued westward to this county, settling first
near Cottleville, in Dardenne Township. A few
years later he came to St. Charles, where he kept
a hotel and also served as Justice of the Peace.
When the Constitutional Convention met in St.
Louis in 1820 Mr. Emmons was chosen by the cit-
izens of this county to serve as tlieir representa-
tive. He was also elected to the first Legislature,
and after several terms spent in the Lower House
he was elected to the State Senate, being re-elected
to the same position after serving for one term.
During the cholera scourge of 1832 Mr. Em-
mons, though an old man of seventy-five years,
volunteered as a hospital nurse, and worked both
night and day to relieve the sufferings of those
afflicted with the dread disease. His death oc-
curred in St. Charles in 1843, at the advanced age
of eighty-six j'ears.

Benjamin Erainons, the gentleman of whom we
have just spoken, married Philomena English, a
native of Vermont, her father, Richard English,
being a descendant of a family who came to
America in Colonial days. The first ancestor
of the Englisli famil}' of whom anything definite
is known is one David English, of Essex Countj^,
England. His son Richard, born in 1690, came to
America in 1710 in the ship "Swallow," which
landed at Newport, R. I. To him was born a son,
John, who became the father of Richard English,
our subject's great-grandfather. The two children



born of the union of Benjamin Emmons and Philo-
mena English were Daphne and Col. Benjamin, fa-
ther of our subject. The daughter first married
Robert McCloud, who was the first editor of the St.
Charles Missourian. After that gentleman's death
Mrs. McCloud became the wife of Alonzo Robin-
son, a school teacher, who removed to California,
where he died.

Col. Benjamin Emmons was born in 1810, and
grew to manhood in this county. In 1835 he was
appointed Deputy under Col. Ludwell E. Powell,
who held the combined offices of Circuit Clerk,
Probate Clerk, County Clerk and Recorder. In
1848 Mr. Emmons succeeded him and filled the
office for many 3-ears, to the full satisfaction of
his constituents. During liis long service as Clerk
he became exceedingly well versed in the statutory
law of Missouri, and well posted on the decisions
of the Supreme Court. In the year last mentioned
he was a candidate for the position of Secretary of
State on the Whig ticket. During the war he was
made Colonel and Provost-Marshal of the Twenty-
seventh Enrolled Missouri Militia, and ardently
supported the Union. After the war he was ap-
pointed United States Assessor for the Fourth Mis-
souri District, following which he practiced law in
St. Louis in company with John C. Orrick. Later
he became a member of the firm of Wagner, Dyer &
Emmons. While in St. Louis he assisted in the
prosecution of the "whiskey ring," and was one
of the leading attorneys in the Scheme and Char-
ter cases in St. Louis. The Colonel also repre-
sented St. Louis County in the division of St.
Louis City from the county, after the adoption
of the scheme and charter by St. Louis City. In
the famous mining cases from Leadville, Colo.,
Colonel Emmons was counsel for Senator Tabor
and his colleagues, Messrs. Hunter and Trimble.
The briefs which he prepared in this case were
highly complimented by the Judges o-f the United
States Supreme Court, before whom it was tried,
and they declared tliem to be the best exposition
of mining survey and mining law that had ever
come before them. In the year 1881 the Colonel
was appointed Postmaster of St. Charles, which
office he held until he resigned to take upon him-
self the duties of Circuit Clerk, to which he had



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



177



been elected in Novembei-, 1882. This position
he contiuued to fill until his death, which oc-
curred August 31, 1885, in Leadville, whither he
had Sfone on account of failing health. At the
first term of court after the Colonel's death Judge
W. W. Edwards delivered a touching memorial
eulogy of the deceased before the St. Charles
County Bar.

November 24, 1852, Colonel Eramons was united
in marriage with ]Miss Julia Chauvin, daughter of
Lafranier J. Chauvin. (An account of the Chauvin
family is found on another page of this volume, in
the sketch of Charles]}. Chauvin.) Of this union
five children were born, of whom Ben L., the sub-
ject of this narrative, is the only one now living.
He was born in St. Charles, November 27, 1861,
and secured his early education in the public
schools of this city. When thirteen years of age
he entered the St. Louis Universit3', from which
he was graduated in 1879. The year following
his graduation he was employed in the St. Louis
dry-goods house of J. cfe T. Swallow. Returning
then to St. Charles, he obtained employment with
the St. Charles Car Company, with which concern
he was identified until January, 1883. In Febru-
ary of that year he went to Colorado and served
as Registry Clerk in the Leadville postolBce until
July, 1884, when he resigned on account of ill
health. The same j'ear he entered the law office
of Senator Theodore Bruere, where his lime and
attention have since been given to insurance and
real-estate transactions.

In May, 1883, Mr. Emmons married Miss Annie
E., daughter of J. F. and Matilda (Kirkpatrick)
Mudd, natives of Maryland and Missouri, respect-
ively. The grandfather of Mrs. Emmons, Wallace
Kirkpatrick, was one of the first settlers of this
count}, whither he came in 1796. The old house
in which he lived is still standing on the corner of
Main and Tompkins Streets. Near it was the
home of Benjamin P^mmons, and the two pioneers
were leaders of local religious factions, the former
of the Catholic, and the latter of the Protestant,
element. Mrs. Emmons was born in St. Charles
and received her education in St. Vincent's Sem-
inarj' in St. Louis.

Seven children have been born to Mr. and Mrs.



Emmons. They arc all living, and are as follows:
Ben J., Margaret, Chauvin, Feli.x, Matilda, Julia
and Shepard. The parents are both menibcrs of
the Catholic Church. Mr. Emmons is connected
with Branch No. 86, C. K. of A. He is at present
Deputy Clerk of St. Charles County, and is en-
gaged with Edward P. Ilehner in making an ab-
stract of the county, at which he will no doubt
succeed, as no one is more familiar with the record
titles of the county than he is.



r^ EORGE F. KLINGIIAMMER isone of the
VtC enterprising young farmers of township
48, range 6, St. Charles County. Since his
boyhood he has given his energies and industry to
agriculture, and is thoroughlj' practical and well
informed on everything pertaining to the best
methods of conducting a farm. At the present
time he is engaged in managing a portion of his
father's old homestead, some two hundred and fifty
acres, which is under high cultivation.

The birth of our subject occurred in New Or-
leans, La., March 14, 1853. He is a son of George
and Catherine (Moore) Klinghammer, whose biog-
raphy appears elsewhere on the pages of this rec-
ord. They are natives of Alsace, France, and Ger-
many, respectively, and the father has long been
numbered among the old settlers and most pro-
gressive farmers of this couirt}'. In a family com-
prising six children, two sons and four daughters,
George F. is the eldest of the five surviving mem-
bers. The others are: Caroline, Louise, Mary and
Emma. They have all been married and have
families of their own. .lulius died November 19,
1886.

The boyhood of our subject was passed on his
father's farm, where he received a good common-
school education, and early became initiated into
the proper methods of conducting a farm. Octo-
ber 20. 1886, he chose for his life companion and
helpmate Miss Louise Rupp. She is one of five
daughters and a son, whose parents are Capt. John



178



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



and Kate (Virling) Rupp, old aud respected citi-
zens of St. Charles County. Tlie brotliers and sis-
ters of Mrs. Klinghammer are: Laura, Philip, Susie
and Lena, who are all unmarried and living with
their parents. Mary is deceased.

Since completing his education Mr. Klingham-
mer has been identified with his father in all the
latter's extensive farming interests, and has been
of great assistance in the management and opera-
tion of much of that worthy citizen's landed es-
tate. While still adhering to the old and tried
methods which have proved of practical impor-
tance in farming, this young man does not reject
modern and enterprising ideas, but in a very prac-
tical manner unites the old and the new, and the
result has been eminently satisfactory.

In his political affiliations Mr. Klinghammer is a
stanch Republican, and does all in his power to
support his party interests. Religiously he is a
member of the Lutheran denomination, in which
faith both he and his father were reared from their
early j^ears. In eveiy walk in life he lias shown
himself to be thoroughly tiaistworthy and honora-
ble, and by the exercise of these qualities has won
a high place in the esteem of his large circle of
friends and acquaintances.



^+^



"=]



[^"



JACOB SCHABER, a large land-owner and
prominent agriculturist, whose farm is situ-
ated in township 46, range 4, St. Charles
County, is one of Germany's sturdy sons
who bade farewell to their native land and crossed
the brinj' deep to seek a home in the New AVorld.
A son of Carl and Christine (Bopp) Schaber, he
was born July 15, 1826, in Wickelburg, Germany.
His parents emigrated to this countiy in 1845, and
after a tedious journey of several weeks on the
ocean tiiey arrived safely in New York City.
They did not stop long, however, in that great
metropolis, but continued the journey by water to
St. Louis, their destination being St. Charles
County, where they expected to meet many friends



who had preceded them to this country; and so
they pusiied forward to where their friends were
awaiting them, and where they expected to make
their future home.

Soon after their arrival Mr. Schaber purchased
ninety-seven and a-half acres of land, and straight-
way proceeded to clear it of its large forest trees
and dense undergrowth of brush. With the assist-
ance of his two robust sons he soon had enough
space cleared to erect a dwelling, and with the help
of his friends this was soon done. In those primi-
tive days the people were content to dwell in
more humble abodes than at the present time, and
the log cabin was considered a dwelling-place fit
for any one. The children of this familj% four in
number, were all born in the Old Country. Eliza-
beth married Joseph Othe, a crock-maker bj' trade,
and lives in St. Charles. Jacob is our subject.
Conrad went to California in 1851, and is still
there. Mary is the wife of John Kinney, a miller
by occupation, who resides near Trenton, this
state. Carl Schaber, the father of our subject, was
a life-long agriculturist, having followed that oc-
cupation in the Old Country, and continued in the
same vocation after coming to America. He was
well known and highly respected, having lived an
honest, unassuming life. He was called to the
land beyond in 1871, the wife and mother having
preceded him by ten 3'ears.

The gentleman whose name heads this sketch
was married on the farm where he now resides, the
ladj^ who became his wife being Miss Katie, a
daughter of George and Barbara Bauer. They
are all natives of Germany, and came to this coun-
try in 1852, settling in this county. Mrs. Schaber
was the only child of her parents, who still reside
in this township. Five children have blessed the
union of Mr. and Mrs. Schaber, three girls and two
boys, all living. Lizzie married Albert Lutz, a
blacksmith by trade, and resides in this township.
Mary is the wife of Andrew Hittdae, and makes
her home on a farm near her parents. Dora, Carl
and Fritz are all at home. Mr. Schaber has given
all his children good educations, both in English
and German.

After the death of his father our subject pur-
chased the old homestead from the other heirs and



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



179



has resided here ever since. Having been reared
on a farm, lie has made agriculture a life-long study
and is tliorouglil}* posted as to the best manner of
cultivating the soil and tlie best results to be
gained by the rotation of crops. The principal
products of the farm are wheat and corn, but he
is also interested in fruit-growing, and has a fine
vineyard, of which he is justly proud. He and his
excellent wife are both members of the Lutheran
Church at St. Charles, and are actively interested
in all good work. In his political views he is a
stanch Republican, but has never held any county
office, nor indeed has he ever aspired to that
honor, although he takes deep interest in the suc-
cess of his part}-.



oo



"o5->



il-^i-i^il^^i^



JACOB SMITH, an honored veteran of the
late war, cast in his fortunes with those of
the peoqsle of St. Charles County in 1868,
and since that time has steadily prospered.
His valuable homestead, which is all under good
cultivation and highly improved, is located in
township 48, range 7. The parents of our subject
were Jacob and .Sarah (Offner) Smith, who had two
other children : George, whose home is in this
county, and who is married and the father of two
children; and Sarah, now deceased.

In 1856 Jacob .Smith, Sr., left France, his native
land, and after arriving in the United States set-
tled in Indiana, where he bought a farm, com-
prising eighty acres. This he operated for about
four years, and then sold the place to his daughter
Sarah's husband. He continued to make his home
with them until 1868, when he came to pass his
declining years with his son George in this county,
his death occurring when he was in his seventy-
fifth year. His wife died in France early in the
'50s.

Jacob Smith, wliose name heads this article, was
born in Alsace, France (now a part of Germany),
November 28, 1837. His boyhood was passed on
a farm, and he received a fair education in his



mother tongue. He left home at the early age of
sixteen years without money, liiit nothing doubt-
ing that he should succeed in making a fortune
on his arriving in America. For six years he
worked as a farm hand at small wages in Indiana.
He managed to save only a .small sum of money,
and at length concluded to try farming on a small
scale for himself. He secured a piece of land from
tlie man for whom ho liar] been working, and for a
number of years he operated this tract for one-half
of the crops raised. This plan did not bring him
wealth rapidly, and, believing that he could make
better headway in the West, he accordingly set out
for Missouri in the spring of 1866, owing to in-
ducements offered by Albert KIdridge. That gen-
tleman gave him the management of his farm,
furnishing evei^ything necessary and paying j-oung
Smith a certain sum for his services the first year.
The ne.xt year our subject operated a farm for one-
half of the crop harvested.

In 1868 Jacob Smith and his brother George
bought fifty acres of land in partnership. Half of
this was heavily timbered, and the young men pos-
sessed only one team of horses with which to work
the place. Nevertlieless, they succeeded financi-
ally and got a start in life. With an ej'e to busi-
ness, Jacob .Smith bought a one-horse-power saw
to fell trees and cut them into stove lengths. By
improving ever}' hour outside of the regular farm
work, and frequently hauling as many as four
loads a day to Alton, where he found a ready
market for it at ^5 and *5.50 per load, he soon be-
gan to lay aside a goodly sum of money. In Au-
gust, 1876, he bought his present home, paying for
the same 850 per acre. This was a tract of one
hundred acres, but having an op|)ortunity to dis-
pose of forty acres at 180 per acre, he did so, and
with the means afforded lifted a deed of trust he
had given upon his farm at the time of pur-
chase. In 1886 he bought seventy-three and a-half
acres adjoining his farm, which thus aggregates



Online LibraryChapman Publishing CompanyPortrait and biographical record of St. Charles, Lincoln, and Warren counties, Missouri → online text (page 17 of 81)