Copyright
Chapman Publishing Company.

Portrait and biographical record of St. Charles, Lincoln, and Warren counties, Missouri online

. (page 20 of 81)
Online LibraryChapman Publishing CompanyPortrait and biographical record of St. Charles, Lincoln, and Warren counties, Missouri → online text (page 20 of 81)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


land for the reception of crops, and at the end of
five 3'ears bought another tract of one hundred
acres. Since that time he has become the owner
of additional land, until he now possesses some
four hundred and forty acres. About thirty acres
of his farm have been washed away by the encroach-
ing river, but he still owns as much as he can well
take care of.

In February, 1869, Mr. Bradshaw married Miss
Martha, daughter of William Blend. They had
two children : Paris, who is married, and Robert,
now deceased. The wife and mother was called
to her final rest in 1872. Two years later our sub-
ject wedded Margaret Curns, and during their
fourteen years of married life two children were
born to them, Rosa and Florentine, both of whom
are now married. On the 6th of October, 1889,
Mr. Bradshaw married Amanda (Hawk) Treadway,
widow of William D. Treadway, by whom she had
three children, John Clifton, James H. and Nora C.
To Mr. and Mrs. Bradshaw have been born a son
and daughter, Robert B. and Jessie. Mrs. Brad-
shaw is a daughter of Daniel and Eliza Ann (Bar-
gain) Hawk. Of their children seven daughters
and two sons, all are living and married. They
are named as follows: David C, Samuel M., Ma-
linda J., Anna, Isabelle, Caroline, Hannah M.,
Amanda and Maggie.

Mr. Bradshaw possesses a large fund of informa-
tion, is an interesting speaker, and h.as many en-
joyable reminiscences and stories of former days.
Among the recollections of his boyhood is that of
a story told him b3' his mother of an aunt of hers,
who in the early days in Virginia lost her hus-
band and all of her slaves. The Indians burned



194



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



her home, in which was the unfortunate man, and
the slaves were taken prisoners. The aunt escaped
with her bab\- and hid in a whe.atfield until the
dano-er was p.assed. Through the efforts of a
brother, the slaves were subsequently returned to
their owner. Politically Mr. Bradshaw is identified
with the Republican party. In his religious con-
victions he is a Catholic.



.^^^4M}.4^.{..^.i..5..|..^|^»4.»»»^^••^♦^i•^^^»•^^X>



yyv DWARD BOSCHERT is one of the honored
r C) sons of St. Charles County, his birth hav-
ing occurred on the same old homestead
which is now in his possession. His grandfather
purchased this tract of eighty acres, and also an
additional like amount, soon after the floods of
1844, paying $4 per acre for the same. Mr. Bos-
chert's father bought eighty acres of this about
1858, paying $30 per acre, and in 1890, when our
subject became the owner of the land, he paid $125
for the same, which shows how land has steadily
increased in value in this region.

The birth of Edward Boschert occurred August
30, 1861, his parents being Joseph P. and Marie
(Walter) Boschert, who had eleven other children,
six boys and two girls still surviving. Tlie pater-
nal grandparents of our subject died in this coun-
ty, the grandfather when about thirtj-eight years,
and his wife when thirty-six years, of age. One of
their children, Mrs. Weber, became the owner of a
portion of the old farm by purchase. Mr. and
Mrs. Joseph Boschert, who are aged respectively
fifty-seven and fifty-four years, are both hale and
hearty, and are carrying on the old Johnson place,
near St. Charles. Some of the land owned by the
father and adjoining tlie homestead of Edward
Boschert is worked by brothers of the latter. Dur-
ing tlie Rebellion our subject's father served in the
Missouri State Militia, being obliged to leave his
wife and several small children without protection
during liis absence.

Tlie early education of Edward Boschert was at-
tained in the district schools near the parental



home, and for nearly a year he pursued his studies
in St. Mary's College at St. Mary's, Kan. Novem-
ber 20, 1883, he married Elizabeth, daughter of
Frank and Elizabeth (Niggemeyer) Linnebur.
Mrs. Boschert is one of ten children, all but one of
whom are still living. Her grandparents, who lived
to a ripe old age, died in this county, while her
parents have for the past eight years lived in Kan-
sas. Formerly thej' lived on a large farm situated
on the Missouri River, within this count}-, but two
hundred acres of this were swept away by floods
from 1870 up to 1876. Mr. and Mrs. Boschert
have six children: Mary Soph}', Edwin John, Leo
Henry, Eugene Edward, Julius Aloysius and Theo-
dore Wendelin.

Mr. Boschert has his farm all under good culti-
vation, and most of it is used for raising grain.
From thirty to forty head of cattle and a number
of good horses are always kept on hand by the
owner. For seventeen years he has held the posi-
tion of Clerk of the district schools, and was for-
merly a School Director, but resigned on account
of being elected Road Overseer, a place which
he now fills bj' appointment through the County
Court. Many improvements, in the shape of ditches,
roads, etc., have been made of late years in this
county, but Mr. Boschert remembers the time when,
owing to the uncleared and undrained state of the
country, chills and fever were very prevalent. He
and his near neighbors have been very fortunate,
in that their land has never been damaged by flood,
cyclone, or from any other cause. The lowest
average crop of corn on his own farm was in 1877,
when his land yielded thirty bushels per acre. He
predicts a prosperous future for this district, judg-
ing from the improved condition of roads, which
enables farmers to get their produce to shipping
points easily. Mr. Boschert is very enthusiastic
over the St. Charles "white corn," which brings
the best price in the market, and which he believes
can be raised to advantage in no other section of
the United States. It commands from one and
a-half to two cents per bushel above the market
quotations for any other variety.

In company with several gentlemen, neighbors,
Mr. Boschert became interested about a year ago
in buying a certain ditch, which was of great



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



195



damage to the property whicli it traversed, and tliej'
accordingly purcbased it outright. VVIien Mrs.
Boscliert's father left this locality for Kansas some
years ago, he wrote frc(nienlly recommending the
family to remove thither and there invest in land,
which was vcr^' cheap and good, but Mr. Boschcrt
chose to remain, being firmly convinced of the
prosperous future of this section, and he has never
seen occasion to regret his decision. In his religious
belief he is a Catholic, and regularly attends the
German church of that faith. He has never been
a politician, and h.as always made it his rule to
vote for those whom he considers the best men,
regardless of part}' lines.



■f" GUIS BOLM, an enterprising and prosper-
I Cy ous merchant of New Boston, in AVarren
Count}', is a native of this county, and
has long been identified with whatever pertains to
her best interests. He carries a well selected stock
of dry goods, groceries, tinware, hardware, sad-
dlery and harness, queensware, boots and shoes,
and, in short, everything usually found in a first-
class general store. In IS'JO he came to his pres-
ent location, and in the short time which has
elapsed since then has built up a truly enviable
name for integrity, fair dealing and courtesy to-
ward his customers.

John Bolm, the father of our subject, was born
in Germany, and in his native land was united in
marriage with Miss Dora Waldermott, also of Ger-
man birth. The young cou|)le crossed the Atlantic
about 1844, and soon after settled in Warrenton.
Mr. Bolm was a gardener by occupation, which
calling he followed in Germany, but after coming
to the United States he embarked in farming, and
successfully operated a homestead for some twenty
years or more. He then engaged in the milling
business at Warrenton, and is still interested in a
well established plant. Though he is now in his
seventy-ninth year, he is still in the enjoyment of
good health, as is also his wife, who is just five



years her husband's junior, both their birthdays
falling on April 5.

The birth of Louis Bolm, who is the liftli in a
family of eight children, occurred in 18.53. After
completing his district-school education, he en-
tered the Central Wesleyan College at Warrenton,
and at the age of twenty-five years started out to
make his own way in the world. He learned the
carpenter's trade, which he followed for about four
years. Then for a similar period of time he was
engaged in general merchandising at Hopewell
Academy, and in 1890 opened a store at New Bos-
ton. He is among the best known and most suc-
cessful young business men in this section, and
uses his judgment in the selection of his stock and
in meeting the demands of the trade. In politics
he uses his right of franchise in support of the
Republican party, but has never served in a public
position.

The marriage of Louis Bolm and Miss Mary
Kunze was celebrated April 27, 1883. Mrs. Bolm
is a daughter of Herman and Louisa (Rethorst)
Kunze, the former a native of Germany, and the
latter of Missouri. The union of our subject and
wife has been blessed by the birth of three chil-
dren, one of whom was called to the silent land
while in early childhood. A little son and daugh-
ter remain to cheer and brighten their [laients'
home, namely: Robert and Lulu. Mr. and Mrs.
Bolm are not members of any church, but affiliate
with the P-vangelical congregation.



-^>^^<^=^-8.



JOHN II. OELKLAUS for more than a quarter
of a century has made his home upon the
farm in township 46, range 4, where he still
resides, and to the cultivation of which he
devotes his entire attention. He is a great lover
of fruit culture, and has a fine apple orchard on
liis farm, besides a large amount of small fruit.
Born in Prussia, Germany, June 23, 1832, he is
the only son of William Adolph and Catrina
(Whittenhay) Oelklaus, also natives of Germany.



196



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



His parents emigrated to America in 1835, when
our subject was but three years of age. Having
friends in St. Charles, they at once came here, and
located in township 46, wliere the father purchased
a small farm of forty acres, one mile from the
farm our subject now occupies, and some time
after added thirty acres more, making in all sev-
enty acres. This place remained his home until
his death, which occurred in 1892, the mother
having preceded him to the land beyond by a num-
ber of years.

The father was twice married, the second wife
being Mrs. Mary Holgarh, who still survives and
resides on the old homestead. Three children were
born of this union, William, Fritz and John J.,
but all are deceased. Our subject remained with
his father, assisting him in the various duties of
the farm, until 1855, when he purchased eighty-
two acres of land near his old home, and began
the battle of life for himself. Of this land he
afterward sold seven acres to the city of St. Charles
to be used as a cemetery, for which puipose it is
still used.

The lady who, on the 19th of August, 1858, be-
came the wife of Mr. Oelklaus was formerly Miss
Catherine Elizabeth Wallenbrook,a native of Ger-
many. She was the eldest of eight children born
to Mr. and Mrs. John H. Wallenbrook, six of whom
are living, as follows: Catherine E., Henry, Fred-
erick, Sophia, Hermann and Lizzie. The parents
came to America in 1841, and settled in this coun-
ty, where they still reside. Six children blessed
the union of John H. and Catherine E. Oelklaus:
Henry, Fritz, Julius, William, Hilda and Bennie.
All are at home with the exception of Henry, who
died in infancy, and Fritz, who is a farmer in Ma-
con County, 111. Thej' also have under their roof
an orphan child, Emma Crack by name, whom the^-
have taken to rear. She was only five years old
when she came to make her home with them.

Mr. Oelklaus has lived on his present farm since
his marriage, and is considered one of the best farm-
ers in his locality. His crops yield an abundant har-
vest yearly, and his orchard is widely known as one
of the best in the county. A hard-working, honest
farmer all his life, he has accumulated a fair share
of this world's goods, and although still in his



prime can rest from his labor and enjoy the fruits
of honest toil and a life well spent in the perform-
ance of his duty to his family and friends. His
children have all had the advantages of the public
schools, and have good common educations.

The Presbyterian Church of St. Charles num-
bers among its best and most influential members
Mr. and Mrs. Oelklaus. They are always foremost
in all good work, and give liberally to the spread
of the Gospel. In his political connections the
former is identiSed with the Republican party, and
gives his support and influence toward the success
of its chosen leaders.



"T—jJ-P-H-l— p*i



f'n ^ ■. ■* ■ II uuoi



BERNARD BOERDING is one of the most
prominent and highly respected farmers of
township 47, range 5, St. Charles County.
He is pre-eminently a self-made man, as he landed
in St. Charles with only a $5 bill in his pocket,
and all of his wealth has been made by liimself, with
the assistance of his estimable wife. The first land
which he purchased was in 1864, a tract of sixty-
six acres, and now he owns altogether three hun-
dred and twenty-eight and a-half acres, well im-
proved, and valued at over 130,000. His career
has been such that his friends and neighbors may
surely hold him up as an example to the rising
generation of what may be accomplished by zeal
and energy.

Mr. Boerding was born in Telgte, Westphalia,
Germany, October 10, 1825, being one of the six
children of Wilhelm and Anna Marie (Greiwe)
Boerding. The father died when our subject was
very young, but his mother lived to reach her
eighty-fourth year, dying in Germany. All of
the other members of the family are also deceased.
Bernard Boerding was reared on the farm of his
step-father, as his mother married after the death
of her first husband. His education was obtained
in the public schools, and, as was the custom, he
was obliged to join the German army in his twen-



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



197



ty-first year. He served from 1846 until 1851,
during wliicb period occurred the Revolution of
1848. Wben bis term of duty bad expired tbe
young mnu continued to live in tbe Fatberland
for anotiicr year, and tben set sail from Brcmer-
baven to New Orleans.

From the Crescent City our subject came at
once to this county, where be worked for a year
as a farm band, receiving $5 or |!6 per month
wages. The next two years be was in the employ
of Dr. Ferguson, who gave him -iilO, and later $12,
per month. This was during tbe years 1853 and
1854, and then for a short time he worked for tbe
father of J. H. Bode, now editor of tbe St. Charles
Democrat.

May 7, 1857, Mr. Boerding married Anna Marie
Reiling, whose parents weie natives of Germany.
Of this marriage eleven children were born, three
of whom are deceased. Those living are as fol-
lows: Anna, who is married and has three chil-
dren ; Theodore, who is also married, and tlie father
of one child; Wilhelm, whose wife died leaving a
child, which is now being reared by our subject
and bis wife; Elizabeth, who resides at liome;
Bernard, a young man now working for his father;
Henry, nineteen years of age, also living at tbe
old homestead; and Stei)ben and Joseph, twins,
sixteen years old.

As formerly noted, Mr. Boerding worked for
several years for different parties, and during this
period laid aside a certain portion of bis earnings,
with which, in 1864, he bought sixty-six acres of
land. Six or seven j'ears later he added thereto
eighty acres, in 1877 one hundred and two and
a-balf acres, and in 1892 seventy acres more. In
addition to this be owns ten acres of timber-land,
which be purch.ased some twenty years ago, bis
possessions now aggregating three hundred and
twenty-eight and a-half acres. His son Theodore
cultivates tbe farm of one hundred and two and
a-balf acres, and Wilbelm has charge of tbe sev-
enty-acre farm. Tbe remainder, one hundred and
forty-six acres, is taken care of by Mr. Boerding.
He has a good orchard with over seventy trees,
which bear an abundance of fruit. His sons pay
him a certain sum as rent for the farms which they
have charge of, and Mr. Boerding and his wife



have ample means with which to pass their last
years in comfort and luxury.

During the late Civil War our subject was a
Lieutenant in a Home Guard company of tbe Mis-
souri State Militia. In politics he deposits his
ballot in favor of the Democratic party, and in his
religious belief he and bis family adhere to the
Catholic faith.



'^ - ^=m>^t~<m^-



T7> DWARD EVERETT GRAY, a native son
I C) of Missouri, has for several years made his
home in township 48, range 6, St. Charles
County-. He advocates providing good educa-
tional facilities for tbe rising generation, and iias
faithfully served for five years as Clerk of tbe
School Board. He is a highly respected citizen,
who is known to be always on tbe side of riiibt and
progress.

The parents of our subject were James and
Rachael (Roy) Gray. Tliey bad a family of seven
children, five of whom were sons and two daugh-
ters. Three sons and a daughter are the only sur-
vivors of this family circle: Oscar M.. who is mar-
ried and has seven children; William M.; Anna,
Mrs. Kilgore; and Edward p]verett. In 1844
James Gray removed to St. Louis from Richmond,
Va., and for two years thereafter was employed in
a wholesale grocery bouse. He was industrious
and thrifty, and during this time managed to lay
aside a certain sum of money, which, with some
$2,000 lie had brought from Virginia, he invested
in land. His farm comprised three hundred and
sixty acres, situated in Portage Township, tiiis
county. From time to time, as his resources in-
creased, be added to this tract, until be had alto-
gether nearly twelve hundred acres. In 1868 be
disposed of a portion of this land and opened a
store in Carrollton, Mo., which be operated for
three years. Subsequently he engaged in preach-
ing in tbe locality of bis home. For four years he
was Sheriff of St. Charles County. Just prior to
bis election he was waited upon by a number of



198



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



men, whose spokesman made this little opening
speech: "Gray, we are twenty-five strong here, and
if you will treat us to a pint of whiskey we will
vole solidly for you." The answer of the sturdy
and upright man was very characteristic: "Men,
if a pint of whiskey would buy every vote in St.
Charles County, I would not give it. I am not
getting my votes by the aid of whiskey." Mrs.
Rachael Gray died in 1866, and three years later
James Gray married Miss Emma Muir, by whom
he had a son and daughter. The former is de-
ceased, and the latter, Gustavus H., is still living.
The father died in February, 1881, at the age of
sixty-four years.

Edward Everett Gray was born in Boone Coun-
ty, Mo., November 13, 1858. His youtii was passed
under the parental roof, with tiie exception of the
two years succeeding his mother's death, when he
lived with his sister. Until seventeen years of age
he attended the common scliools of the district
more or less, and then pursued his higher studies
for a vear in tiie New Stoddard Scliool at St.
Louis. Following that he was for a year and a-
half an attendant at the Polytechnic School in the
same city. On leaving that institution lie secured
a position with the Scruggs, Vanderbilt & Barney
Dry Goods Company, with which firm he remained
only a short time, resigning his place in order to
accept a better one with the Simmons Hardware
Company. Owing to poor health, however, he
soon found that he should be obliged to give up a
sedentary life and pass his time in the open air.

About 1882 Mr. Gray came to St. Cliarles Coun-
ty and took charge of his brother's farm for two
seasons. By this time, having become interested
in agricultural duties, he rented the place where he
still resides, and to the cultivation of which he has
since directed his energies with good success. This
farm numbers within its boundaries some two
hundred acres, is well improved with good fences
and buiUlings, and is kept up in a thrifty manner
by the proprietor.

October 8, 1883, Mr. Gray wedded Anna Stone-
braker. Her parents are Morris and Fannie (Bas-
sett) Stonebraker, whose family numbered four
sons and five daughters, the latter of whom are
still living, tliough two of the sons have been



called from the home circle by death. The fol-
lowing children have come to bless the union of
Mr. and Mrs. Gray: Eliza, Luella, OUie. Tott,
Morris and Howard.

On the question of politics Mr. Gray uses his
ballot in favor of and is a firm believer in the
principles of the Delnoerac3^ He and his family
are members and regular attendants of the Method-
ist Church and take an active part in its various
departments of usefulness.



■^:m



WILLIAM N. SCHAFER is a native of
St. Charles County, his birth having oc-
curred near the city of the same name,
July 4, 1833. His farm, on which his home is sit-
uated, is one of the best to be found in township
47, and is on range 5. Having by former years of
industry acquired sufficient means to pass in com-
fort the remainder of his life, he now rents liis land
to a good tenant, though still remaining in the com-
modious and pleasant residence in which he has so
long resided.

Mr. Schafer is a son of Frederick Samuel and
Catherine (Becker) Schafer, whose family com-
prised six children, all but one now living. They
emigrated to the United States in 1833 from West-
phalia, Germany, engaging passage in a sailing-
vessel going by wa}' of Bremerhaven and landing
at Baltimore. F^rom tliatcity they proceeded over-
land to St. Louis, where they staid for a short time,
and then settled permanentl}' in this county, on a
place one mile west of St. Charles. As this was in
the spring of 1833, the Schafers were among the
early settlers of the county. The father bought
two hundred acres, wliich were heavily timbered,
and at once gave his attention to clearing liis land
and cultivating his farm. In time he added a tract
of fifty acres to his original propert}', and became
well off financially. In old age he retired from
active cares to St. Charles City, where the remain-
der of his life was spent. He died at the age of
eighty-six years, while his wife, whose death re-



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



199



suited from dropsy of the heart, lived to attain her
seventy-sixlli year.

Our subject gave his time to his father until he
reached his majority, and received a common-
school education. At tlie age of twenty-one he
went to St. Louis, and there embarked in the mer-
cantile business. This was in the year 1854, and
he became a member of the then well known firm
of R. S. f]ddy & Posey, as a silent partner, the firm
name remaining unchanged. At the end of two
years Mr. Schafer retired from the business, and a
year later began farming on the old homestead of
his wife's parents.

January 28, 1857, Mr. Schafer married Catherine,
only child of Pierre and Margaret (Obershaur)
Cornoyer. The parents were born and reared in
this county, and here resided until death. The fa-
ther died at the age of sixty-five years, while his
wife departed this life in her seventy-fourth year.
Nine children graced the union of Mr. and Mrs.
Schafer, but only three sons and a daughter remain
to them. The eldest, Pierre G., is married and
has a little daughter, Marguerite; Marguerite, also
married, has a daughter, Catharine; Henry L., un-
married, resides at home, as does also Leonard C,
the youngest of the family, who now holds the office
of Deputy Clerk of St. Cliarles County.

As Mr. Schafer's father sold his farm to his other
son about thirty years ago, our subject purchased
the property of his wife's father, and continued
to cultivate the same until 1893, when he retired.
His only brother bequeathed the paternal estate to
Ills widow and one child, and the latter has since
become the sole owner of the farm. Mr. Schafer
added about one hundred acres to the original
Cornoyer farni and he is now the owner of one
hundred and seventy-six acres. In order to partly
employ his time he raises a few vegetables for
table u.se and also fodder for his cattle, but other-
wise his time is passed in restful pursuits.

During the Rebellion Mr. Schafer served in the
Home Guard Militia during about three years with
interruptions, and until the close of the war ren-



Online LibraryChapman Publishing CompanyPortrait and biographical record of St. Charles, Lincoln, and Warren counties, Missouri → online text (page 20 of 81)