Copyright
Chapman Publishing Company.

Portrait and biographical record of St. Charles, Lincoln, and Warren counties, Missouri online

. (page 36 of 81)
Online LibraryChapman Publishing CompanyPortrait and biographical record of St. Charles, Lincoln, and Warren counties, Missouri → online text (page 36 of 81)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


to live for six months, after which they came to
this county. For three years the father worked
as a farm hand, and then rented a place one mile
south of Cottleville. After cultivating that farm
for three years, thej' came to make their abode on
the place now owned by our subject. This com-
prised one hundred acres, to which was afterward
added an additional fifteen acres. The parents,
who were industrious and worthy people, here
made their home until called from the family cir-
cle bj' death. Mrs. Vierling departed this life in
1872. and her husband followed her to the silent
land three years later.

Philip Vierling, whose name heads this sketch, is
the second youngest of four children, all of whom
were born in Germany. Susan, the eldest, became
the wife of .John Meyers, who was en gaged in farm-
ing in Vernon County, Mo. Catherine, who mar-
ried John Rupp, is novv living in Cottleville, her
husband having died in 188t). Hannah, Mrs. Au-
gust Stuermer, is living on a farm in Vernon
County, Mo.

Until he reached manhood, our subject gave his
assistance to his father in the farm work, and en-
deavored to gain a practical education. In 1871 he
married Miss Mary, daughter of Jacob and Cath-
erine Schneider, all natives of Baden, German3^
In that province occurred the birth of Mrs. Vier-
ling, August 12, 1848. Soon after their marriage
the 3-oung couple settled on the farm now owned
by our subject. This place he rented from his fa-
ther, and three years later he purchased the home-
stead. In 1876 he bought a tractof flft3'-two acres
more, lying in the same township, thus making his
possessions altogether one hundred and sixt3'-seven
acres. His farms are well improved and 3'ield a
good income to the owner.

Six children have come to bless the home of Mr.
and Mrs. Vierling. They are all living at home
with their parents, and are receiving good public-
school educations, Philip, Jr., was born October



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



297



2, 1872; Edward, February 16, 1874; Julia, Sep-
tember 27, 1875; George, March 27, 1877; Katie,
July 25, 1881; and Talitlia, December 20, 1883.
The parents are botli faithful members of the Lu-
theran Evangelical Churcli of Cottle vi lie, and aie
active in all good works and enterprises. Politic-
ally our subject deposits his ballot in favor of Re-
publican nominees and measures.



_ — ^-©.



m>-^<i



RE V. C H U R C H I L L G. CHRISTIAN, a
young man of superior ability and pleas-
ing address, is pastor of the Jladison
Street Presbyterian Church of St. Charles, having
assumed charge of this congregation on the 1st
of October, 1894. He is a native of Virginia,
and was born at lielle Isle, twenty-two miles east
of Richmond, on the 12th of March, 1860. His
birthplace is onl}- twelve miles from Windsor
Shades, on the Chickahoniin^- River, the highest
point on that river which Capt. John Smith, of
Colonial fame, is supposed to have reached before
making any removal of trees from the stream.
Four miles north of Belle Isle stands St. Peter's
Church, the oldest in the state, and the one where
George Washington worshiped.

Dr. Samuel P. Christian, the father of our sub-
ject, was born in Cool Well, New Kent County, Va.
In early life he was a physician, and during the
war served as surgeon at Sealirooke's Hospital,
where he attended Federal prisoners. At the fall
of Richmond, when the Federal troops took pos-
session of the city, he was arrested, and without
being allowed an opportunity to explain who he
was, he was placed in Libby Prison, which had
then been taken charge of l)y the Federal authori-
ties. At the expiration of three days, the Union
authorities learned that he had been a suigeon in
Seabrooke's Hospital, and he w-as at once set free.

At the close of the war Dr. Christian retired from
professional practice, and he then became a teacher
in the pultlic schools. Later he was elected Super-
intendent of the Schools of New Kent and Charles



City Counties, which office he held until 1882.
From that date until 1889 he resided upon the old
home farm, but has since made his home with his
sons in Roanoke. He is the son of Dr. John Fleming
and Sarah A. (Pleasants) Christian, natives respect-
ively of New Kent County and Richmond, Va.,
the latter being of (Quaker parentage. The grand-
father was a physician by profession, and dur-
ing his active life conducted a large practice. His
death occurred about 1848. He was a son of Dr.
Collier Christian, a member of the medical profes-
sion in the same county. The faliier of the latter,
John Christian, whose ancestors came to America
from Scandinavia in Colonial days, was a veiy
))ious member of the Methodist Church.

The mother of our subject was Amelia Coleman,
daughter of John Newton and Louisa (Coleman)
Gordon, the latter of whom died a few 3ears ago,
at the advanced age of eiglit^'-one. Her father
was an officer in the Revolutionary War, and in
the battle of iMitaw Springs was cut down by a
British sabre. After the battle the wounded man
crawled to a deserted cabin, where he was found
b}' an old colored woman, who skillfully attended
to his needs. John Newton Gordon was born and
reared in Gordonsville, a town founded by his fa-
ther. In early life he went to Richmond, where
he conducted a wholesale business in metals and
groceries. It was customaiy for grocers to carry a
stock of wines and liquors, but becoming convinced
that this was wrong, he rolled the barrels into the
street and broke them open. He was a successful
business man. During the destruction of Rich-
mond his residence was the last one to be burned,
although it was situated only a block from the
State House. At the time of the capture of Rich-
mond our subject was with his parents and grand-
parents in the city, and well remembers the excit-
ing scenes of those days. An uncle of our subject,
E. C. Gordon, D. D., is now President of West-
minster College, at Fulton, Mo.

The early education of Rev. C. G. Christian was
obtained in the country schools of his native place.
At the age of seventeen he began to te.ach school,
which he continued for one session, and subse-
quently was engaged in agricultural pursuits until
the fall of 1885. Going to Richmond in Septem-



298



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



ber of that year, he took a course in law under
Prof. Samuel Davies. Prior to this he had studied
by himself for a year, and in the spring of 1886
he was duly admitted to the Virginia Bar. After
a summer spent on the old homestead he com-
menced the practice of his profession in Richmond.
In September, 1889, he entered the Union Theo-
logical Seminary of Prince Edward County, Va.,
where he studied for one year. During the next
three years he was a student in Hampden Sidney
College, and after another year in the seminary he
was licensed to preach by the East Hanover Pres-
bytery of Virginia.

Immediately after receiving his license. Rev. Mr.
Christian came to Missouri, and early in Maj' was
placed in charge of the churches of Versailles, Mor-
gan County, and Tuscumbia, Miller Count3^ In
September he was called to his present pastorate,
and entered upon his duties the 1st of the follow-
ing October. In politics he is a Democrat, and
socially is a member of Pleasant Lodge, A. F. &
A. M., at Roanoke, Va.



4^



=^>



JOSEPH A. PAGE, one of the native sons of
Lincoln County, was born near Auburn, April
15, 1846, and owns a desirable farm, com-
prising eighty acres located in township 50,
range 1. Tliis is a portion of what was known as
tiie Graves farm, but only twenty acres of the
tract was under cultivation when Mr. Page became
its owner. He has since cleared it all, with the ex-
ception of eight acres, and has made many good
improvements.

The parents of Joseph A. were John W. N. and
Louisa (Graves) Page, who were both born in
Nelson Count}', Va. The former's birth occurred
May 6, 1807, the latter's November 27, 1808, and
their marriage took place in their native county,
November 20, 1826. The father of John W. was
William Page, a life-long agriculturist of Nelson
County. John W. Page was an only child, and as
his parents died when he was quite young his



grandmother brought liim up at her home. After
his marriage he engaged in farming and wagon-
making in the Old Dominion until November,
9, 1840, when, with his wife and six children, he
started for Missouri in a wagon. After a short
stop at St. Louis he came to this county, where he
had some relatives living. He settled near old F't.
Spring (not far from Auburn), and continued to
operate this farm until his death, whicii occurred
m 1885. His widow remained at the old home for
three years, then coming to spend her declining
years with our subject, at whose home she died
July 12, 1892.

John W. N. and Louisa Page were the parents
of ten children, only four of whom are living.
Louisa Ann, born December 24, 1825, died July
17, 1861. She was the wife of John Harris, who is
also deceased. John W. A., born September 1, 1827,
died in infancy; James Thomas, born October 26,
1831, also died in infancy; Arzella, born March 10,
1835, married James Crenshaw, and both are de-
ceased ; William Tucker, born July 25, 1838, married
Sarah Sitton, and resides in Los Angeles Count}',
Cal.; Spotsward Edward, born in August, 1840, mar-
ried Sarah A. Turner, and is farming near Wliite-
sides; Louisa, born in 1841, died August 27, 1855;
Joseph A. is the subject of this narrative; John J.,
born June 24, 1849, married Maggie Chasens, and
lives in Washington County, Mo.; and Alone L.,
born October 2, 1851, died February 4, 1852.

Joseph A. Page gave his time to his father, and
was of great assistance in the management of the
old farm, until he was twenty-two years of age.
He then married Miss Mary Alice Graves, who was
born in Lincoln County, October 6, 1853, and
whose parents, Thomas A. and Nanc}' (Nalley)
Graves, are represented elsewhere in this work.
As all of his brothers and sisters had left home,
Mr. Page lived with his mother two years after his
marriage. He then removed to the Graves farm,
where he resided for two years, after which lie
leased a tract of land on Mill Creek, near Silex.
At the end of five years he purchased his present
farm from the Graves estate. Here his wife was
called to her final rest, November 24, 1893, leav-
ing four children to mourn her loss. William Nich-
olas, born April 15, 1872, died May 7, 1873; and



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



•299



Annie Arzella, whose birth occurred March 30,
1875, died May 30, 1 883. Nancy Louisa, the eldest
cliild, W.1S born May 17, 1870, and tlic others as
follows: Willa May, .July 17, 1881; .John Thomas,
October 28, 1887; and Thom.ij. Edward, iSIay 7,
1893.

Mr. Page has never been an ollicer-secker, but
has alwa3-s voted the straight Democratic ticket.
During the war he belonged to the militia, or
Home Guards, under Captain T.ague, but was never
called into action. Since 1883 he has been a mem-
ber of Burr O.ok Lodge No. 348, I. O. O. F. Re-
ligiously he holds membership with the Christian
Church, to which his Trife, a most amiable and
lovely woman, also belonged.



— 5-



— <gi^



~=^®'



!>^^<i



JOHN B. DORAIS, an enterprising business
man and farmer, who owns a good homestead
in townshi|) 47, range 2, St. Charles County,
has become wealthy by the exercise of his
native characteristics of thrift and industry. For
a number of years he has derived a good income
from the sale of lumber to railroads for track con-
struction. To supply the demand in this direction
he has cut ofT the heav}' timber on his own farm,
.as well as other available forests in various por-
tions of this township. As an agriculturist he is
practical and progressive, and in his relations with
his neighbors he is most friendly and popular.

Louis Dorais, the father of our subject, was born
in Canada, near the city of Montreal, and in 1839
c.ame to St. Louis. He was a poor boy, and worked
by the day at whatever he could find to do for the
next three years. At the end of that time he ob-
tained a position in a flouring-mill in St. Charles,
and was there emplojed for three years. After-
wards he engaged in ferrying across the Missouri
at St. Charles. This occupation he carried on for
about three years, making some money in the ven-
ture, and then sold out his interest. Becoming
smitten with the gold fever, he went to California
in 1848, and after tlirec 3'ears returned with nearly



$10,000 as the result of his trip. He invested this
in buying up grain from St. Charles County fann-
ers and selling the same to the Mormons in Illi-
nois. This was an unsuccessful undertaking, and
he lost the main portion of his money. For two
years he then gave his attention to farming. This
notbeingquite to his taste, he took up railroading
on the old North Missouri Railroad. For twenty-
one years he worked at a good salary and man-
aged to lay aside a considerable sum. During his
railroad life he ran a stationary engine, pumping
water up a hill near Peruque Creek into tanks, with
which to furnish engines. For some time he was
also bridge watchman, and as the engine consumed
wood for fuel he sawed all that was needed, and
thus saved expense. On several occasions he in-
vested money in farm land and rented the same to
good tenants. His last years were passed on one
of these farms in Dardenne Township. His death
resulted from heart disease, at the age of sixty-six
years.

On reaching man's estate Louis Dorais married
Rosella Corb3', by whom he had six sons and seven
daughters. Eight of the number are still living.
John B. is the eldest. Madora became the wife of
James Watts, a farmer, and has eight children.
Philomene married George Piice, who is a prosper-
ous agriculturist of Dardenne Township, and they
have eight children. Louis for his wife and help-
mate chose Miss Essie Roberts, and they have two
sons and a daughter. He is a prosperous farmer
in Denver Township, where he owns two hundred
acres of fine land. Leo married Katie Bryan and
has a bright little son. In conjunction with his
next younger brother, Paul, he operates the old
homestead, which he owns. Emily, wife of Joseph
Dickherber, has a little girl. Mr. Dickherber is a
farmer, and engaged in carrying on a place owned
by his father. The youngest child, Christy, who
is only thirteen years of age, lives with her mother
on the old home farm.

John B. Dorais was born in the city of St. Charles
June 17, 1855. Such educational advantages as
he had were merely those of the common schools,
and he gave his time to his father until after he
had reached his majorit3'. Then, embarking in
business for himself, he rented a farm, and in ad-



300



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



dition to gener.al work pertaining thereto has de-
voted much attention to stock-raising, in whicli he
has been unusual]}' successful. At the end of four
years as a renter he was able to buy land of his
own. He has since enlarged the boundaries of his
farm several times and is now proprietor of two
hundred and sixty acres.

January 23, 1883, occurred the marriage of Mr.
Dorais and Augusta Treinmuth, of St. Louis. She
is a daughter of August and Rhoda (Nichols)
Treinmuth, old and respected residents for manj'
years of Denver Township. Mr. and Mrs. Dorais
have six children, as follows: Rosa, Louis, Johnny,
Pliilip, Bassalej- and Katie. They are living at
home and the older ones are attending school in
the neighborhood. In politics Mr. Dorais is a Dem-
ocrat. Botli he and his wife are members of the
Catholic Congregation, and are held in the highest
respect by all who know them.



JOHN E. BRUERE, M. D.,in years of practice,
is the oldest physician in St. Charles, and has
long borne an enviable reputation for his
medical skill. He was born in the city of
Cologne, on the Rhine, in German}', November 29,
1836, and passed his boyhood in tlie Fatherland,
there receiving a fair elementary education.

The parents of the Doctor, John E. and Wilhel-
mina (Jaeger) Bruere, were also natives of Ger-
many. The father, who was born in a Rhenish
province, followed the profession of architecture,
and for years was a contractor, conducting a re-
munerative business. His wife. Wilhelmina, was
born near Frankfort-on-the-Main. John E. Bruere,
Sr., died in the prime of life, after which his wife
and family removed to Hesse-Darmstadt, the date
of their emigration being 1841, when the Doctor
was a lad of only five years. He and his brothers
were educated in Darmstadt, and there he con-
tinued to reside until the year 1852. His brother
Theodore had come to the United States in 1850,
and for this country the Doctor set forth with an-



other brother in 1852. The remainder of the fam-
ily followed the next year, and came direct to St.
Charles.

The first winter after his arrival was spent b}'
our subject in Augusta, Mo. The next spring he
went to St. Louis, and for a few months worked
at the carpenter's trade. In August, 1853, he was
engaged by Dr. A. Litton to act as Assistant Chem-
ist in the laboratory of the State Geological De-
partment, a position he was well qualified to fill, as
he had studied chemistry at Darmstadt. A part of
his time was spent in collecting specimens and
making investigations at various points, and the
remainder of the time he was employed in the
laboratory of the St. Louis Medical College. Dur-
ing the five j-ears of his connection witli that in-
stitution the young chemist studied medicine, and
in 1858 was graduated from the same college.
Subsequently he went abroad to complete his med-
ical education, pursuing his studies in Berlin,
Wurtzburg, Prague and Paris.

In December, 1859, Dr. Bruere returned to the
United States and located in St. Charles, which he
has ever since made his home. In July of the
following year he was instrumental in organizing
the Home Guards of Warren and St. Charles Coun-
ties, which are known on the Government record
as the "St. Charles and Warren Counties Reserve
Corps." In this undertaking he was associated with
the late Arnold Krekel. The Doctor was elected
Surgeon at Camp Bates August 6, 1861, and served
until the battalion was mustered out, January 10,
1862. Later he received the appointment of Sur-
geon to the First Battalion Cavalry, Missouri State
Militia, which was mustered out of service Novem-
ber 22, 1862. Since that time he has practiced
uninterruptedly in St. Charles.

November 29, 1862, our subject wedded Miss
Cornelia, daughter of Dr. Henry Schoeneich, a
native of Poland. He was one of the patriots of
1833, who, under Kosciusko, struggled to free his
nation from Russian tyranny and oppression. Mrs.
Bruere was born in Paris, 111., April 1, 1843, and by
her marriage has become the mother of nine chil-
dren, all of whom are living.

In his political belief the Doctor is a loyal Re-
publican, and was a standi supporter of the cause



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



301



ill (la^s when it was rather hazardous to express
hi.s conviction;'. Nevertheless he has steadily re-
frained from accepting otHcial honors, as he pre-
fers to keep clear of political entanglemeuts and
has found his lime fully occuiiied in his profes-
sional duties.

' ^# P ' .



(Tpr NTON SCIiWOEPPE, a prominent agricul-
/ — \ turist and stock-raiser, residing ou section
25, township 45, range 2, AVarren County,
is a native of Germany, and was born June 19,
1845. He is the youngest child in a family of
two children born unto .Jacob and Elizabeth (Lifte-
feld) Schwoeppe. The parents were also natives of
Germany, and spent the greater part of their lives
in the Fatherland, where the}^ were married, and
where their children were all born. In 1849 Jacob
Schwoeppe, with his family and a number of friends,
bade farewell to their native land and crossed the
broad Atlantic to seek a home in this, our own
free and glorious country. Upon their arrival in
America, they came direct to Missouri, and located
in St. Charles Count}-, where they remained seven
years. They then came to Warren Count}', and
purchased the farm where our subject now resides,
and where they spent the remainder of their lives.
He was a hard-working, industrious farmer, living
a quiet, unassuming home life, and respected by all
who knew him. Ills death occurred Januai'y 18,
1870, at the age of fifty-eight years. His wife,
Elizabeth, died January 7, 1874, at the age of six-
ty-seven 3'ears. They were mourned as unselfish,
affectionate parents, obliging neighbors and good
citizens.

Anton and Ilenr}- Schwoeppe were reared on a
farm, and received their education in the public
schools of Augusta, in St. Charles County. Their
boyhood and youth passed without any unusual
event taking place other than falls to the lot of
the average farmer bo)'. They took an active part
in the sports and pleasures of their vicinity, and
assisted their father in the home work of the farm.
After the death of their i)arents tliev continued to



live on the old homestead, vliere the}' shared alike
in the [iroceeds of the farm for a number of years.

November 8, 1866, Henry Schwoeppe, the elder
brother, was married to Miss Annie Krete, who was
born in Holland, and was brought to America by
her parents when only nine months old. Her fa-
ther died in New Orleans, where they had settled,
leaving only one child. After his death his widow
married Joiiii Smith, and removed to St. Louis, in
which city she died when Annie was only eight
years old. On her mother's death, kind friends,
Mr. and Mrs. Kebold, took the little girl to Wash-
ington, Mo., on St. John's Island. Here she was
reared and educated, remaining with her foster
parents until she was nineteen years of age, when
her marriage to Henry Schwoeppe took place.
May 3, 1877, eleven years after her marriage, she
was bereaved by the loss of her husband, a loving,
thoughtful helpmate and father. At the time of
his death he was thirt3 - six years old, having been
born February 12, 1841. To him and his wife
were born four children: Elizabeth, the wife of
Albert Sander, and who was born February 28,
18G8; Idea, born May 11, 1870, and who died Au-
gust 23, 1870, at the age of three months; Anton
Heni'}' William, born December 24, 1871; and
Louisa Mary, born March 12, 1876.

On the death of Henry Schwoeppe, which oc-
curred when his brother Anton was thirtj'-two, the
latter was left sole manager of the estate, and Sep-
tember 4, 1877, he married his brother's widow. By
this marriage one child was born, Francis, who died
Deceralier 12, 1878, at the age of six months, its
birth having occurred June 9, 1878. Two children
of Mrs. Schwoeppe by her former marriage, William
and Louisa, are still at home. Elizabeth, Mrs. Al-
bert Sander, the eldest daughter, resides on the old
homestead, which her husband farms. They have
two children: Henry, born July 9, 1890; and Will-
iam, born August 23, 1893.

By his energetic, industrious habits and good
business management, our subject has added to
his possessions until he now is the owner of over
four hundred acres of valuable land, part of which
is situated in the Missouri River Bottom, and part
in Saline County. The land is very rich and fer-
tile, nicely improved, and all under a high state of



302



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



cultivation. Mr. Schwoeppc is one of the leading
grain and stock farmers of AVarren Count}-, hav-
ing made both the above lines of industry a
specialty, and is widely known throughout the
county and liighly respected bj^ all who know him.
He and his estimable familj- are all members of
the Roman Catholic Church, and take a deep in-
terest in religious affairs. In his political connec-
tions, he is a Democrat, and is actively interested
in the political questions of the daj- and the suc-
cess of his chosen party, although never having
aspired to any public honors for himself. He is
public-spirited and in favor of anything that will
elevate and improve tlie moral and social standard
of the community.



€^*-



JOHN GUTERMUTH is engaged in general
farming and stock-raising on his well im-
proved and highly cultivated farm, which is
located two miles west of Cottleville, St.
Charles County. He is a native of Germany, but
since seven 3'ears of age has been a resident of this
county and identified with its progress. His farm,
consisting of eighty-four acres, is situated in town-
ship 46, range 3, and bears evidence of the care
and thrift of the owner.

John and Maria (Reiffer) Gutermuth, the par-



Online LibraryChapman Publishing CompanyPortrait and biographical record of St. Charles, Lincoln, and Warren counties, Missouri → online text (page 36 of 81)