Copyright
Chapman Publishing Company.

Portrait and biographical record of St. Charles, Lincoln, and Warren counties, Missouri online

. (page 69 of 81)
Online LibraryChapman Publishing CompanyPortrait and biographical record of St. Charles, Lincoln, and Warren counties, Missouri → online text (page 69 of 81)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


persecution, and in time were numbered among the
early residents of Virginia.

Mrs. Cofer isone of seven children, four of whom
died in infancy. Her sister Cordelia was the wife
of a Mr. Hanson, of AViseonsin, and her death oc-
curred in 1872, when she left three children. Tiie
only brother who grew to manhood was James
Monday, who was born in this county, December
13, 1839. His death occurred while he was in the
United States service, as a result of a wound re-
ceived in tlie siege of Vicksburg, in 1863. Mrs.
Cofer was born January 29, 1837, in this county,
and from 1841 to 1845 resided in Wisconsin, She
23



taught school for nine ye.ars in Pike, St. Francis
and Lincoln Counties. By her marriage she be-
came the mother of one daughter, Luria, who died
when a year old.

Our subject is the owner of a farm comprising
fifty acres, in addition to which he cultivates a
tract of from fifteen to twenty acres adjoining the
homestead. Politically he is an old-line Democrat,
and though a Mason before the war, he h.as notsince
affiliated with an}^ lodge. In company with his
wife he is a member of the Missionary BajHist
Church of Oak Ridge and is now serving as Clerk
of the board.

. ^ ^P '



MRS. ANN MARTIN. The name which
opens this sketch is that of one of the
most popular ladies of the county. Mrs.
Martin occupies one of the finest and largest coun-
try residences of Warren Count}', and is surround-
ed by every comfort that money can procure. The
home place contains seven hundred and fifty acres
of land, situated in township 46, range 3, and the
dwelling is surrounded by extensive and beautiful
grounds.

A native of Ireland, Mrs. Martin was born in
1837, and is the eldest child of Anthony and Brid-
get (Hackett) Page, also natives of Ireland, where
they spent the early years of their married life.
The father, hoping to improve his financial condi-
tion, went to Australia about 1842, but his wife,
not caring to make the long journey to that far-
distant country, remained at liome caring for her
little family. Mr. P.age was never heard of after
leaving Ireland, as the ship on which he sailed
was lost, it is supposed, with all on board. So
ended the career of an honored man.

Mrs. Page remained in Ireland until 1861, when
she decided to come to America to her daughter.
Her declining years were spent in the home of
Mrs. Martin, where she died in 1887. Our subject
was educated in the schools of her native country,
and when only thirteen years of age, in company
with her uncle's family, embarked on a sailing-



502



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



vessel bound for the New World. While on the
vo.yage her uncle and four of his cliildren were
taken ill and died, their bodies being buried at
sea. Ann, thus left without the protecting care
of her uncle, was obliged to earn her own liveli-
hood, and after landing in New Orleans made her
way to Louisville, K}^, to her aunt, Mrs. Whaling,
where she remained for a time. She then came to
Missouri and made her home in St. Louis, there
engao'ing in dressmaking and millinery until she
was married, March 30, 1856, to John Martin,
the sou of Tliomas and Nancy (Burgess) Martin,
natives of Ireland, who came to the United States
man}' years ago.

For a number of years John Martin followed
the occupation of a farmer in Illinois, and after-
ward w.as engaged as a brick-layer in St. Louis.
His health failing, he was obliged to abandon that
kind of labor, and in 1870 he came with his fam-
ily to Warren County, Mo., deciding to take up
farming. With this object in view, he located up-
on the property now owned by his widow. Being
a man of shrewd business qualifications, he was
very successful in everj' undertaking, and at his
death left a handsome home for his wife and chil-
dren. He was a soldier in the Mexican War, and
in 1861 enlisted for service in the Union army, in
which he served with distinction for three years.
When mustered out he returned home and was
identified with all [irogressive movements of his
township until his death, which event occurred
April 3, 1889.

The marriage of John Martin and Ann Page
was blessed by the birth of the following chil-
dren: Edwin, born Januarj' 8, 1857, and now de-
ceased; Annie, born Januar}' 10, 1859, also de-
ceased; Geneva, born June 22, 1860; Charles H.,
July 14, 1862; Theresa, August 8, 1864, deceased;
Thomas, October 2, 1865; John J., November 3,
1867; George, August 20, 1870; Walter, Jan-
uary 1,1872; andFannie, January 16, 1876. The
surviving members of the family are at home, and
the sons render their mother valuable assistance
in the management of her large property. The es-
tate is all in one body and one of the finest places
in the county. Mrs. Martin is a thorough business
woman, and a very modest and pleasant lady, who



never fails to respond to any and all demands upon
her that she deems worthy of support. She en-
joys the respect and esteem of the entire neighbor-
hood, and is the possessor of many fine traits of
character. With her family, she is a devout mem-
ber of the Roman Catholic Church.



-l^+^l



(Tpr UGUST REDEKER, the well known mer-
/ — \ chant of Bernheimer, Warren County,car-
ries an extensive line of dry goods, gro-
ceries, queensware, boots and shoes, hats and caps,
etc. Though he has been at his present location
but little more than a year, he has already gained
success, and has in every instance made friends of
his customers. A man of uprigiit life and fair
dealings, he merits prosperity on account of his
worthy characteristics .and his good business
methods.

A native of Franklin Count^^ Mo., born in 1862,
our subject is the fourth child of Henry and Char-
lotte (Halstenburg) Redeker, natives of Germany.
The}' came to the United States when quite j'oung,
and were married in Warren County, Mo. Subse-
quently they became residents of Franklin Coun-
ty, and still later of Osage, in the latter of which
they passed the last few years of their lives.

August Redeker received his primar}' education
in the district schools of Osage County, and later
attended the Wesleyan College of Warrenton Aft-
er completing his education he spent a short time
in St. Louis, but soon left that city and obtained a
position as a clerk in a mercantile house in Gas-
conade Count}', where he remained for two years.
About that time he purchased a half-interest in
the business, and was successfully engaged in trade
there for five 3'ears. He then sold out, and for the
next two years was in partnership with his father-
in-law in the live-stock business.

In 1888 Mr. Redeker married Miss Bertha Weh-
meyer, who is a native of Osage County, butat the
time of her marriage lived in Gasconade County.
Her parents, Christ H. and Mary (Rusch) Weh-



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



503



meyer, were both natives of Germany- They set-
tled in Bergor, Franlilin County, IMo., when first
married, and there Mr. Wchnieyer was engaged in
farming. Later tliey moved to Wasliington, Mo.,
wliere they remained only a few years, and from
that place they removed to Osage Count}-, Mo.,
living near the station of ISIorrison, where the fa-
ther engaged in farming and bought live stock.
He finally engaged in stock-buying exclusively, be-
coming the most extensive buyer in that vicinit}'.
About 1870 they settled in Gasconade Count}',
this state. The union of our subject and his es-
timable wife has been blessed by the birth of two
sons and a daughter, bright and interesting chil-
dren, who bear the names of A^irgil, Herbert and
Edna. The parents are members of the Jlethodist
Cliuich, and Mr. Redeker is Assistant Superintend-
ent of the Sundaj'-school.

On questions pertaining to i)olitics. Mr. Redeker
supports the principles of the Republican party,
and is an active local worker in that organization.
However, he has neither sought nor desired public
office, as he finds his tune fully taken up with the
demands of liis business and domestic interests.



(^



(^



-^^



^



FRANCIS F. HARVEY is a banker and
prominent business man of Elsberr}', Lin-
coln County, wiiicli place has been his
home for the past six 3'ears. Prior to this he en-
gaged in general farming and stock-raising in the
adjoining county of Pike, where he was a resident
for over a quarter of a centur>'. A man of in-
dustrious and persevering characteristics, he has
achieved success and prosperity entirely through
his own efforts, and is highl}' esteemed by his nu-
merous friends and ac([uaintances.

Francis Harvey, the fatiier of our subject, was a
pioneer of Lincoln County. He was born in Nel-
son County, Va., and in 18211 came on horse-
back to Missouri. He bought land lying along
Bryant's Creek and then returned to Virginia, in



order to get his family. In 1831 they set out on
their journey to this state, and on arriving here
settled on the land which Mr. Harvey had [lur-
cliascd. The remainder of his life was given to
the cultivation and improvement of this farm.
His death occurred on tlie old homestead in ISfiO,
when he was in his seventy-first ycav. Thougli
not particularl}' active in politics, he was a Demo-
crat, and never failed to vote the ticket. His wife,
who was born in Mrginia, June 13, 1804, was in
her maidenhood Miss Melinda Dameron. By her
marriage she became the mother of sixteen chil-
dren, eight of whom are yet living. In the order
of their birth they were as follows: Mrs. C. P.
Bell, who is deceased; Nicholas A.; Mrs. S. E.
Vance; Mary A., also deceased; Mrs. Susan D. Daw-
son; Little Page D., deceased; Thomas A.; Lucy
A.; Mrs. V. A. Vance, deceased; M.; James C;
Francis F.; Mrs. M. E. Lindsay; John A.; Mary A.
and Melinda E.

The birth of our subject took place November
17, 183;», in Lincoln County. His early years
were passed in assisting his father on the farm
and in the acquisition of an education in the
country schools. In the fall of 1854 his father
moved from the farm to the village of Louisiana,
in Pike County, in order to give his children bet-
ter school advantages, and the following spring re-
turned to the old homestead. This plan he fol-
lowed the next year, after which two more winters
were passed in the village of Tro}'. In this way
our subject received prett}' fair advantages, and
then, after pursuing his studies in the State Uni-
versity of Missouri for two years, he obtained a
certificate and taught school for several years in
the county. In 1866 he went into partnership
with his brother, Thomas A., and purchased a farm
in Pike County, where for several decades he was
engaged in raising and handling stock in addition
to general farm work. In 1888 he removed to
Elsberry, and has since turned his attention to the
management of his bank and other investments.

October 27, 1870, Francis Harvey was married
to Miss Cecelia Frances Black, the ceremony being
performed in Louisiana, Pike County. Mrs. Har-
vey is a most estimable lady and an active worker
in the Christian Church, to which she belongs. In



504



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



regard to politics our subject is a Democrat, and
has ahvaj-s supported the men and measures of his
party. He is a loyal and patriotic citizen, and en-
joys the friendship of a large circle of acquaint-
ances, neighbors and fellow-citizens.



q.i..j..5..5.l^^.5..5.^..5.F



JULIUS LICHTE, who resides on section 13,
township 46, range 3, Warren Countj^, is a
native of Pinkney Township, of the same
county, and was born in 1855, being the eld-
est child born to the union of Hermann and Caro-
line (Smeder) Lichte, who were natives of Ger-
man}'. They came to America with tlieir parents
when quite young, and after arriving at the age of
niaturit\' were married, the ceremony taking place
at the home of the bride in Warren CountJ^ The
father purchased a farm, and the young couple set
up housekeeping in the good old-fashioned way.
He followed the occupation of a farmer until his
death, which occurred in the year 1875. His good
wife, the mother of Julius, followed him to the
grave just one week later.

The subject of this sketch was educated in the
public schools of Pinkney Township. He was
reared to manhood on his father's farm, spending
his boyhood days and early youth much the same
as other boys, assisting his father in the various
duties of farm life, and learning many valuable les-
sons that have been of great benefit to him in later
years. After the death of his parents he was
thrown upon his own resources. He had been
reared to agricultural pursuits, and chose that oc-
cupation as the one best suited to his taste. For
the first two years he worked out as a farm laborer,
and at the expiration of that time he purchased a
farm and began the struggle of life in earnest. He
has been very successful in all his undertakings,
and is now one of the leading grain and stock
raisers of the county. He has added to his posses-
sions, until he is the owner of one hundred and
sixty acres of as valuable land as can be found
anywhere in the county. He is well known and



highly respected for his industrious habits and fair
dealings with bis fellow-men.

Mr. Lichte was married in 1880 to Miss Amanda
Hopsmeir, a lady of German parentage, but a na-
tive of Warren County. To the marriage of Mr.
and Mrs. Lichte seven children were born, two
of whom have closed their eyes in death, those
surviving being as follows: Edward, Ida, Lin-
da, Carrie and Ella, a nice little family of intelli-
gent children, who will some day take their places
among the men and women of the land as honor-
able citizens, a credit to their parents and an honor
to themselves. This worthy family are members
of the Evangelical Church, and as such are highly
respected. Mr. Lichte is a stanch Republican in
his political views, and a firm believer in the prin-
ciples of his party, alwa3'S supporting its candi-
dates for office by his ballot and influence. He
has never aspired to public honors, preferring to
give his undivided attention to his home interests,
although he is serving his district as School Trus-
tee at the present time, to the satisfaction of all.



[email protected]^ ^#B^ J3J



HENRY HARRISON ASHBAUGH, who
served for three j'ears as a soldier during
the late war, is a farmer of considerable
prominence in Lincoln Count}'. He has been a
resident of his farm since 1870, and has made of it
one of the finest tracts in this section. Mr. Ash-
baugh is a native of Pike County, this state, and
was born near Paynesville, February 16, 1841.

Andrew Ashbaugh, the father of our subject, was
born in Beardstown, Nelson Count}^ K}'., in Jan-
uaiy, 1802, and there grew to manhood, securing
his education in the common schools. He came to
Missouri just prior to the Black Hawk War, and
served through the entire campaign under Gen-
eral Dodge, being a participant in the decisive bat-
tle which preceded the treaty of peace.

August 30, 1832, Andrew Ashbaugh was mar-



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPmCAL RECORD.



505



ried to Miss Margaret, daughter of William Mc-
Millen, who died at the age of sixty-eight years.
The latter was a sou of Robert McMillen, who lived
to tlie extreme age of one hundred and four years.
The maternal grandmother, Sarah Littlejohn, was
a daughter of Eli Littlejohn, and died when sixty-
four years old. Mrs. Ashbaugh was born Ma^'
30, 1814, in iSt. Louis County, near where the
city of that name now stands. Laud which her
father could then have bought at $1.25 per acre is
at present within tlie heart of Mound City. Mr.
McMillen moved to Lincoln County in February,
1829, and here his daughter, Mrs. Ashbaugh, was
married on the date above mentioned.

To Andrew and Margaret Ashbaugh were born
fourteen children, of whom we record the follow-
ing: Anthony L. died in 1858; Mary C. is the
widow of Pleasant E. Kidd, of Ft. Smith, Ark.,
who was killed by an accident in November, 1893;
Louisa .7. is the wife of Capt. Abner V. Rogers,
who resides on his fine stock ranch in Indian Ter-
ritory, six miles from Ft. Smith; William .J. died
in 1858; Henry Harrison, our subject, and John
Tyler, who lives in Delta Count}', Colo., are twins;
Sarah Ellen is the wife of Thomas T. Rodgers, a
farmer of Lincoln County, this state; Rachel A. is
the wife of .John McKenzie, a farmer of Garfield
County, Wash.; Martha died when fourteen years
old; Nancy Margaret died after her marriage with
George Washara, of Piiynesville; Clara is the
wife of William H. Allen, who is engaged in farm-
ing near lilsberry; Thomas A. is cultivating a por-
tion of the old homestead near Annada, Pike
County; Alice E. is the wife of William P. Morton,
a blacksmith of Elsberry; and James Ta3'lor re-
sides on the home farm, caring for his aged mother.

After his marriage Andrew Ashbaugh settled on
a forty-acre tract of land in Lincoln County, near
Long Arm Prairie. After a few years he sold that
property and purchased the homestead where his
widow is now residing, consisting at the time of
his death of two hundred acres. Beside this he
owned some four hundred acres elsewhere in the
county. During the war he was a strong Union
man, and two of his sons were in the service. His
decease occurred May 21, 1871, and his remains
were interred in the cemetery of Smith Chapel,



near tlie old homestead, where for thirty-five years
he had led a busy life. An affectionate husband
and father, and a respected citizen, he was mourned
on his demise by a large circle of friends.

Our subject's childhood was spent in Pike Coun-
ty, and there he conned his lessons in the dis-
trict schools, sitting on benches which were so high
that many of the scholars could not touch their
feet to the floor. The temple of learning was five
miles from the homestead, and the children de-
served great credit for walking ten miles a day for
the meager privileges which the early schools af-
forded. Up to the age of twent^'-one young Henry
was an inmate of the parental household, but about
two weeks jirior to celebrating that event he en-
listed in the Union army as a member of Company
A, Third Cavalry Regiment Missouri State Militia.
He saw three years of hard service in southeastern
Missouri, and for a short time was staticjned witli
his regiment in Arkansas. On one occasion, toward
the end of his enlistment, sixteen cavalrymen
were sent to guard Big River Bridge. Half this
number of men met fifteen hundred soldiers under
General Marmaduke at a very steep place in the
road. So much dust arose from their hcirses' hoofs
that the enemy supposed the entire force was ad-
vancing, and the General drew his men up in line
for battle, which manoeuver gave the scouts time
to escape. On another occasion, when conveying
the wounded to the hospital at Jefferson Barracks,
the track was torn up and the train attacked. Al-
though the guard onl}' numbered one hundred and
sixty-one men, and the Confederates fifteen hun-
dred, so vigorous was the fire the Union soldiers
gave that the enemy supposed it to be a large
force and retreated, leaving the handful of men to
hold the field without the loss of a man. On an-
other occasion Mr. Ashbaugh and about one hun-
dred and forty other men, under Major AVilsou,
were sent on a forced march from Buck Skull, Mo.,
on the Current River, to Pocahontas, Ark., in pur-
suit of Jeff Thompson, the old Swamp Fox, as he
was called in those days. They succeeded in cap-
turing Thompson and his body-guard of twelve or
fourteen men, but had to " right about face " in
double-quick time, for Shelby, who was just across
the river with his men, followed in hot pursuit



506



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



until the next day, when he gave up the chase.
Mr. Ashbaugh participated in tlie battle of Inde-
pendence, when Marmaduke was captured with six
pieces of artillery.

After three years' service, from February 2. 1862,
to March 27, 1865, our subject was mustered out
at Macon City, Mo., and returned to his father's
home, where for the three years following he aided
in the cultivation of the home farm. He was then
married, in 1868, and, renting a farm near Annada,
engaged in its management, together with that of
a fifty-acre tract belonging to his father. Early
in December, 1870, he moved to his present farm
of one hundred and thirty-six acres, which he had
purchased the previous summer, and in March of
the year following the family moved into a sub-
stantial dwelling.

February 26, 1868, Mr. Ashbaugh married Miss
Harriet F., daughter of .Joseph W. and Mary (Bu-
chanan) Sitton, natives, respectively, of Tennessee
and Kentucky. The father was born March 31,
1806, and the mother January 4,1813. The former
was a son of William .Sitton, a native of Tennessee,
who came to Missouri when the father of Mrs. Ash-
baugh was a 3-oung man. The mother was the
daughter of Thomas and Annie (Butler) Buchanan.
To Mr. and Mrs. Sitton there were born eleven
children, of whom ten lived to mature years. Eliza-
beth A. married Samuel Cannon, and livesin Doug-
las County, Wash.; Fannie married William Trail,
now deceased, and makes her home near New Hope;
Louisa, the twin of P'annie, who became the wife
of Henry Wells, and on his death married B. B.
Ship, died in Pike County in 1886; Sarah Jane is
the wife of Albert Brother, of Elsberry; Catherine
married Lum Long, a farmer of Pike County;
Eusebia makes her home in Elsberry with her
mother; William Virgil is a farmer of Oklahoma;
Harriet F. is Mrs. Ashbaugh; Julia Ellen, deceased,
was the wife of Thomas Diggs; and Mary M. mar-
ried Thomas Farmer, of PLlsberry. One died in in-
fancy unnamed.

Our subject and his wife have one child, a son,
John D., who was born December 2, 1873. He is
at present a student in the Christian University of
Canton, Mo., having begun his studies in that in-
stitution after his graduation from the Elsberry



High School in 1893. Mr. and Mrs. Ashbaugh are
respected members of the Christian Church, attend-
ing the congregation at Elsberry, in which Mr.
Ashbaugh is an Elder. In politics he is a strong
Republican, as was also his father before him. He
cast his first vote for Bell and Everett, the last
candidates of that famous old organization led by
Webster and Clay. Mr. Ashbaugh is an Odd Fel-
low, having joined that order in 1882, and has
also affiliated with the Ancient Order of United
Workmen for the past twelve years. He has been
Overseer of his township for two terms, and on
several occasions has served as School Director.



OO ^ • /^ ly^S— '^ J ^^ 2^l^itfl^M '\a/^ '



C20_



5o~



JESSE S. CRUME, ex-Sheriff of Lincoln Coun-
ty, is now making his home in township 50,
range 2, and is engaged in cultivating six
hundred acres of as fine land as can be found
in Missouri. He has passed the principal portion
of his life in Lincoln County and has always taken
great interest in its upbuilding. He made an efH-
cient and trustworthy public officer, and has been
a life-long supporter of the Democracy. He has
frequently served as a district-school Director, and
was once a candidate for Collector, and though he
did not make a strong canvass came in second of
four contestants for the office.

Jonathan W. Crume, father of our subject, was
born near Taj'lorsville, Nelson County, Kj'., Octo-
ber 14, 1821, his parents being John and Jane
(Kirkham) Crume, natives of Virginia and Ken-
tucky, respectively. John Crume was born in 1781,
and when thirteen years of age was taken by his
father to Kentucky, where he was married. In
1830 he came to Lincoln County, bringing his
family with him, and settled on a farm east of
Troy, where he lived until 1880. He was a sol-
dier in the War of 1812, as a member of a Ken-
tucky regiment. His wife, born in the Blue Grass
State in 1783, died in 1856. Her father, Michael
Kirkham, a native of Ireland, settled in Kentucky
prior to the Revolution. John and Jane Crume



PORTKAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



507



had eight children: John, SalHe, Pliilip, Elizaboth,
Taylor, .lonathan W., Mary Jane and Jesse. Jona-
than W. never attended school, as there were no
educational facilities during his boj'hood in Ken-
tucky. Indians were still numerous, and whenever
the citizens held court they assembled for muster.
Mr. Crume was one of the most expert hunters in
the country, his shot being almost invariably true.
Prior to the war he was a Whig, but later became
a Democrat, and voted for his part}' nominees until
shortly before his death, which occurred January
28, 1891. He joined the Masonic order in Au-
burn at an earl}' day, and was for a time a member
of New Hope Lodge and a charter member of .Solon



Online LibraryChapman Publishing CompanyPortrait and biographical record of St. Charles, Lincoln, and Warren counties, Missouri → online text (page 69 of 81)