Copyright
Charles Henry Carey.

History of Oregon (Volume 3) online

. (page 4 of 99)
Online LibraryCharles Henry CareyHistory of Oregon (Volume 3) → online text (page 4 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


came of one of the old families of Tennessee, in which state her ancestors had settled
in 1S04.

Cook G. Nichol acquired a limited education in the rural schools of Texas county
and at the age of seventeen years started out to make his fortune. He was empty-
handed but worked his way to New Mexico and after many trying experiences reached
Silver City. His early years were fraught with earnest toil and endeavor. Locating
at Pinos Altos he there engaged in mining and through the succeeding eight years of
his life followed mining in New Mexico, Arizona, Montana and Idaho. Having saved
about thirty-five hundred dollars, he then went to Houstonia, Missouri, and purchased
a lumberyard. For five years he conducted business at that place, during which time
he doubled his capital; but on account of the health of his eldest son he removed to
Montana, buying a ranch of one hundred and sixty acres and turned his attention to
cattle raising. After eight years' hard work his ranch was greatly devastated by a
flood, causing him the loss of one hundred and seventy-five tons of hay and three hundred
head of cattle. He then sold his property at half price and started with his family for
the Pacific coast. After looking around for an opening he decided upon Mosier, Wasco
county, and in 1911 purchased a half interest in the general merchandise store which
he now conducts. After a brief period he became sole owner by acquiring the interest
of his partner. Not having the necessary capital with which to buy the half interest
he called upon a banker at Hood river and stated his needs. After a conversation
concerning his chances of success alone in the business the banker produced a letter
from a bank at Houstonia, Missouri, which had been written to a bank at Lewistown,
Montana, assuring that institution that Mr. Nichol was in every way worthy of accommo-
dation. Upon the margin of the letter the bank at Lewistown had written: "We take
pleasure in confirming the contents of this letter." Accordingly credit was advanced
Mr. Nichol and he purchased his partner's interest in the store, which he has since
successfully conducted. In the intervening period of nine years he has built up an
exceptionally good credit, a large trade and a well earned reputation. Mr. Nichol
and his store are alike a credit to the town.

In 1896 was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Nichol and Miss Belle Holly of Licking,
Missouri, who belonged to an old New England family, the ancestral line being traced
back to the family to which belonged Miles Standish. The Holly family were pioneers
of New York before settling in Missouri. The grandfather of Mrs. Nichol remembers
Chicago as a small village which he passed through, driving an ox team, when traveling
to northern Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Nichol are the parents of two sons and a daughter:
Bernard Eugene was educated in the graded schools of Mosier and at the Behnke-
Walker Business College of Portland, Oregon. He obtained employment at the plant
of Armour & Company in Portland as a bookkeeper and within a short time was sent



28 insTOHV OF OREGOX

to Butte. Montana, and is now branch manager for the company at Billings, that state.
This rise in the business world was accomplished in less than three years of service;
Robert Leo is a graduate in the Mosier high school; Mildred is a student in the grades.
The family is widely and favorably known and the hospitality of the best homes of
this section of the state Is freely accorded them. Mr. Nichol was very active in all
the drives having to do with the World war and served on the committee that put
Mosier over the top in the first bond drives, winning for the town the honor banner
ahead of the entire twelfth district, which embraced California, Oregon and Washing-
ton. Every public enterprise in his section expects and receives his aid in time and
money and on no occasion has be been found a slacker. Fraternally he is an Odd
Fellow and a Modern Woodman. He has never held public office in Oregon, despite
many requests of his fellow townsmen that he accept nominations. He says he is a
business man and knows nothing about politics nor has he any disposition to take up
a new line. He is the owner of an extensive ranch in Deschutes county, where he is
breeding and feeding selected cattle. This he manages in addition to his commercial
pursuits, which for a number of years have classed him with the leading representatives
of mercantile interests in Wasco county. Those who know him — and he has a wide
acquaintance — speak of him in terms of high regard and recognize in him a forceful
and resourceful man whose well defined plans tor his own advancement and for the
general good are carried forward to successful completion.



HON. THOMAS E. CAUTHORN.

Benton county long regarded Hon. Thomas E, Cauthorn as one of its most dis-
tinguished and valued citizens. He had a wide acquaintance and all who knew him
recognized the worth of his character and the value of his contribution to the public
good. While almost three decades have been added to the cycle of the century since
he passed away he is yet well remembered by those who were his associates and his
admirers through his active and well spent life. He was born in Mexico, Missouri,
August 31, 1849, and died July 5, 1891. He became a pioneer of the northwest, accom-
panying his father and the family to this section of the country when a youth of
sixteen years. They arrived in 1865 and came direct to Corvallis, Oregon. In the
year 1876 Thomas E. Cauthorn formed a partnership with his father which continued
without interruption until 1889, when they sold out. They had conducted a general mer-
chandise store at Corvallis, concentrated their efforts and attention upon the further
development of the store and built up a trade of very substantial proportions, con-
ducting this enterprise until a few months prior to the death of Hon. Thomas E.
Cauthorn.

In 1870 Mr. Cauthorn was united In marriage to Miss Sarah Jeffreys and they
became the parents of three daughters: Mary; Gertrude, now Mrs. Fred Buchanan;
and Frankie, now Mrs. Archie C. Mclntyre.

Mr. Cauthorn was ever a devoted husband and father and found his greatest
happiness in promoting the welfare and comfort of his wife and children and he had
the greatest reverence for his parents. He also figured prominently in connection
with the public affairs of the state and made valuable contributions to Oregon's progress
and advancement. In 1882 he was elected a member of the state senate and so cap-
ably served his district and the commonwealth at large that in 1886 he was reelected
remaining a member of the upper house of the Oregon assembly altogether eight years
He was a stalwart champion of the cause of education and served as a member on
the committee of education while in the senate and was the recognized leader in legis-
lative measures that pertained to the development of the school system of the state
His greatest work was done perhaps in his connection with the agricultural college.
In 1886 when the Conference of the Methodist Episcopal church. South, surrendered
control of the college to the state, he secured the location of the school in Benton
county, the bill passing both houses. He then began the work which will ever leave
his name with the upbuilding of this great institution. He became treasurer of the
board of regents and chairman of the executive committee and in every possible way
contributed to the upbuilding of the college from its earliest organization as a state
school until it became one of the strong agricultural colleges of the northwest. It
was he who a few months before his death went before the legislature and made a
speech for an appropriation to build a hall for the boys and got twenty-five thousand
dollars. This hall was built and named Cauthorn Hall in honor of him. It is a




HON. THOMAS E. CAUTHORX



HISTORY OF OREGON 31

recognized fact that no man has done more in this field to upbuild this institution
and the value of his service is immeasurable. Mr. Cauthorn was, nevertheless, a home
man, finding his greatest happiness at his own fireside. However, he was of most
generous spirit and among the poor and needy are many who had reason to call him
friend. He never sought the reward of public acknowledgment of his kindness but
gave his benefactions quietly and unostentatiously. When he passed away one of the
local papers said of him: "A respected citizen has gone from earth and his spirit
has crossed the deep river to receive the highest reward of his Maker. How proud
must a man be when death is approaching to know that he has done his duty toward
his parents, his family, his friends and the public. Such was the life of this departed
son and in his death not only Benton county but the whole state has lost a most
useful citizen. Though but a young man he has accomplished many things of both
public and private importance and it will be hard to fill the place of this active and
honored man." He was laid to rest under the auspices of the Masonic fraternity,
having been a member of Corvallis Lodge, No. 14, A. F. & A. M. at Corvallis. He al-
ways most faithfully adhered to the teachings of the fraternity concerning the brother-
hood of man and the obligations thereby imposed and such were his sterling traits
of character as exemplified in private and public life and his memory is enshrined
in the hearts of all who knew him.



ARTHUR J. KINGSLEY.



It has often been said that death loves a shining mark and the truth of this saying
was never more evident than when Arthur J. Kingsley of Portland passed away. He
had long been a most prominent figure in the city because of his activity in manu-
facturing circles and his devotion to all civic interests. Many tangible evidences of
his creative power for the city's benefit and upbuilding can be cited and at the time
of his death he was active in directing the Manufacturers' and Land Products Show and
was chairman of the manufacturers' bureau of the Chamber of Commerce. He gave
his life for the spirit of progress and advancement just as truly as the soldiers who
died on the battle fields of .France, for he worked for the upbuilding of Oregon when
he knew that his health demanded absolute rest and quiet. The story of his life con-
tains much of inspirational value. He was born at Kingsley, Michigan, February 25,
1874, a son of Judson W. and Esther (Warren) Kingsley, the former a native of Wis-
consin and the latter of New York. He spent his early life in his native state, where
he acquired a common school education and when yet a lad in years he began provid-
ing for his own support as an employe of the Flint & Pere Marquette Railroad. He
spent a few years in that connection and then became an employe of the Grand Ledge
Chair Company, with which he remained for a period of eight years. At length, having
acquired comprehensive knowledge of every phase of the business he determind to start
out independently and leaving Michigan in the summer of 1906 he came to Portland,
where he organized the Oregon Chair Company. He was the pioneer in this field and
up to this time all trade of the kind had been conducted with eastern firms, so that
Mr. Kingsley had to overcome custom and prejudice in establishing his business. He
persevered, however, and his industry, determination, fair and honorable methods
and his progressiveness at length brought their reward, and today the business of the
Oregon Chair Company stands as a monument to the energy and ability of Mr. Kingsley.
The business was begun with but thirty-five employes and ere his death this number
had been increased to one hundred and fifteen. Forced to create its own market and
compete with big eastern manufacturers, the concern that he founded nevertheless won
recognition in the industrial world and became one of the leading enterprises of the
kind in the west. In fact the plant is the only one turning out high grade chairs and
is the largest enterprise of this character on the Pacific coast. Mr. Kingsley was dis-
couraged in his attempt by the leading business men of Portland, yet notwithstanding
this he made a wonderful success of the business. He found it necessary to ship much
of the hardwood timber which he used from Japan. While he was still with the
Michigan furniture house he predicted that the Michigan manufacturers would eventually
have to come to the west coast io manufacture furniture and he became a pioneer in
this movement, which he saw ultimately must be brought about. The business was cap-
italized for seventy-five thousand dollars and after the first few months of discourage-
ment it became a growing venture which steadily developed until its ramifying trade



32 HISTORY OF OREGOX

interests reached over a great section of the western territory and Portland has long
been most proud of the enterprise which he built up and which became one of the most
important productive industries of the city.

In 1S97 Mr. Kingsley was united in marriage to Miss Daisy M. Anderson, a daughter
of H. N. and Sarah (Conusman) Anderson, who were natives of Pennsylvania. Mr.
and Mrs. Kingsley had one daughter, Frances A., who is at home with her mother.
Fraternally, Mr. Kingsley was connected with the Knights of Pythias. In his political
views he maintained a liberal course, supporting men and measures rather than party,
yet he was a close student of the vital questions and issues of the day and no man
more fully recognized or met the duties and obligations of citizenship. He was promi-
nent in all movements to promote the civic welfare of Portland and before the present
Chamber of Commerce was formed he served as the president of the Oregon Manu-
facturers' Association, which was merged with the new Chamber in the spring of 1915.
He was a most earnest worker in the campaign to organize the new Chamber and when
this was successfully accomplished he was elected chairman of the industries and manu-
facturers bureau. On account of his unselfish devotion to the Oregon manufacturing
industry and his firm belief in the future progress of the state, he was naturally selected
as the president of the Manufacturers' and Land Products Show, which he developed to
a point of notable success and which opened in the week preceding his death. After the
work in connection with the exposition was begun he gave almost his entire time to
its affairs and that it might be conducted at a minimum cost he performed personally
much of the work that otherwise might have been done by subordinates. When the
fair opened there were two hundred different manufactories of the state and twenty-
three counties represented in a fine exhibit of land and industrial products. His last
public utterance was made in the Chamber of Commerce Bulletin, in which he sent out
the following message: "The unprecedented success of the second annual Manufac-
turers' and Land Products Show has been made possible by your splendid cooperation.
You have realized how vitally important is a proper presentation of the products of
our fields and farms, our forests and streams and of our factories and stores. Realizing
this you have neglected your own individual interests to put your shoulders to the
wheel for the common good. Our big ranchers, our most successful farmers, men at
the head of big industries and corporations, artists and publications, together with their
assistants and staffs, have neglected their own private interests to give cheerfully of
their time and services, at my request, to make this the unqualified success it has
proven. I wish that it were possible to grasp each one of you by the hand and person-
ally to thank you from the bottom of my heart for this splendid cooperation. But this
is physically impossible, because thousands have helped, and without your help the
efforts of the men who have devoted weeks of hard work would have been without avail.
Accept this message as my personal thanks to you. If you have not yet seen the
exhibits, be sure to do so. It is your show, given for and by the people of this great
empije of the Pacific northwest, for the purpose of bringing the producers and con-
sumers closer together, to arrive at a better understanding, to provide more comforts
at less cost, and I know that after this show has become history these objects will
have reached a greater and more comprehensive realization. Believe me, I thank you
for your help and cooperation."

When he passed on, November 2, 1915. the president of the Chamber of Commerce
said: "He was one of our most valuable members and we shall feel his loss keenly.
We all loved him very dearly. His untiring efforts have accomplished much for the
betterment of civic and business conditions in Portland." The Chamber of Commerce
as an organization passed the following resolutions:

"Whereas, the sudden death of Arthur J. Kingsley comes as a shock to the members
of the Portland Chamber of Commerce, and

"Whereas, tlie loyalty and devotion of Arthur J. Kingsley to the work of the Cham-
ber has endeared him to us all. and

"Whereas, the state of Oregon and the city of Portland have suffered an irreparable
loss in the passing of one whose life was largely dedicated to a broad development of
the resources of our state: therefore be it

"Resolved. That the directors of the Portland Chamber of Commerce have heard
with deep sorrow of the death of their esteemed co-director, Arthur J. Kingsley, and
be it

"Resolved, That the board of directors of the Portland Chamber of Commerce attend
the funeral of the deceased, and be it

"Resolved, That the business of the Chamber of Commerce be suspended during



HISTORY OF ORP]G()X 33

the funeral of the deceased, and likewise the Manufacturers' and Land Products Show,
as a tribute to the memory of Arthur J. Kingsley, its president, and be it

"Resolved, That the secretary of the Chamber communicate these resolutions to the
members of the Chamber at large, and that an engrossed copy thereof be sent to the
family of the deceased with our heartfelt sympathies in this, their deep hour of be-
reavement, and be it

"Resolved, That as a further mark of respect to our deceased board member, we do
now adjourn."

Mr. Kingsley was fond of motoring and found great happiness when with his family
and took long automobile trips through the beautiful scenic districts of the west. He was
a dynamic force in business and his labors were ever a resultant factor in the advance-
ment of public good: but the best traits of his character were reserved for his own
home and fireside and he counted no personal effort nor sacrifice on his part too great
if it would promote the welfare and happiness of his fa'mily.



C. W. CORNELIUS, .M. D.

Dr. C. W. Cornelius, a native son of Oregon, was tor many years engaged in the
practice of medicine and surgery in Portland, gaining a position of distinction in the
ranks of his profession. He was born October 1,3, 1S56, on his parents' donation land
claim in Washington county, on what is known as the Cornelius Plains. He is a grand-
son of Benjamin Cornelius, formerly of Jasper county, Missouri, who left Independence,
that state, joining a train of two hundred and fifty persons, organized under the cap-
taincy of Lawrence Hall, thirty wagons being used to convey the party. The grand-
father was accompanied by his wife and ten children, and leaving Independence on the
2d of April, 1845, they proceeded to Fort Hall, Idaho. Before reaching Fort Boise
they fell in with Captain Totheroe's company of thirty-six wagons and journeyed on
to Malheur, where, following the advice of Stephen Meek, who had devoted his time
to trapping between the Rocky mountains and the Pacific ocean, they departed from
the regular course, going by the route which has since become known in history as
Meek's cut-off. The trapper declared the route to be much shorter and also assured
them that it led through a beautiful country, where grass and fresh water were plenti-
ful. He seemed so familiar with the route that a portion of the number determined
to follow him, thinking to shorten the journey. Among these were the Cornelius and
McKinney families. They struck off south of the Blue mountains, expecting soon to
reach The Dalles. It was not long, however, before it became apparent that the leader
knew nothing of the country. Nevertheless they pressed on but within a fortnight
they found themselves in a dry and barren region. Their supplies were fast becoming
exhausted and sickness now broke out among the number, carrying off many of the
party. After a while they had a funeral at every camp, and then over the newly made
graves campfires were built, and later the wagons and teams were driven over them
so that the Indians might not know the resting-place of their dead. Their cattle had
to be sacrificed for food, but at length through an advance party relief was brought to
them from The Dalles. Eventually they reached the head of navigation of the Columbia
river, but death had marked their route all along the way. From that point they
proceeded to the 'Willamette valley and the Cornelius family settled on what subse-
quently became known as the Cornelius Plains in Washington county. There were
ten children in the family, several of whom had already reached adult age, and all
preempted land. Thus the Cornelius family became owners of a very extensive tract
in that vicinity.

The family included Benjamin Cornelius, Jr., father of Dr. Cornelius, who was a
youth of fourteen when they reached Oregon. In 1845 he became a victim of the gold
fever, so prevalent at that time, and ran away to California, but after a year's absence
returned to his old home. In 1851 he married Rachel McKinney, whose ancestors were
of Revolutionary fame and who with her parents, William and Anna JIcKinney, had
also accompanied the Meek contingency on the way to Oregon in 1845. The young
couple began their domestic life on a farm adjoining the old homestead. In 1855 Mr.
Cornelius, with a company of volunteers under command of Colonel T. R. Cornelius,
his brother, participated in the Indian wars of 1S55 and 1856. In 1870 Benjamin Cor-
nelius, Jr., removed with his family to Forest Grove for the purpose of educating the
children. There Mr. Cornelius engaged in loaning money and in speculating, up to



34 HISTORY OF OREGON

the time of his death, which occurred in 18S0, while his wife passed away February
22, 1918.

Dr. Cornelius, the second of the family, supplemented his early school training by
an academic course in Pacific University. In 1877 he began the study of medicine with
Dr. F. A. Bailey in Hillsboro, but in 1879 he removed to Spokane, Washington, where
he erected a drug store — the third business house in that embryo city — and there
engaged in the drug business for eighteen months. He then sold out and returned to
Portland, once more taking up his medical studies. Entering Willamette University,
he there remained for two terms as a medical student, after which he purchased a
well established drug business, which he conducted until 1885, when he sold out and
removed to San Francisco, California. He was for two years lessee and manager of
one of the leading theaters of that city, at the end of which time he disposed of his
interests there to engage in mining in southern Oregon. Not meeting with success in
that venture he returned to Portland and entered the medical department of the Oregon
State University, from which he was graduated in 1889. Soon afterward he formed a
partnership with Dr. H. R. Littlefield and began active practice in Portland. In 1S94
Dr. Cornelius was elected coroner of Multnomah county on the republican ticket by an
overwhelming majority and served in that capacity most acceptably for two years. He
went to Alaska in 1898, at the time of the first gold excitement in that country, arriving
in Skagway just as the epidemic of spinal meningitis broke out, and so successfully
did he handle the disease that the constant demand for his services resulted in the
breaking down of his health, and he was glad to return to Portland. He was identified
in Skagway with the famous murder case of Soapy Smith, being the physician in charge
of Smith's autopsy at the inquest, and he also attended Frank Read, the sheriff shot by
Smith, up to the time of his death.

Since retiring from practice Dr. Cornelius has devoted much time to real estate oper-
ations and investments. In 1906 and 1907 he erected the Cornelius hotel, which was
opened May 1, 1907, and this he has since conducted. It is one of the leading hostelries
of the city, containing one hundred rooms, and is patronized at all times to its full



Online LibraryCharles Henry CareyHistory of Oregon (Volume 3) → online text (page 4 of 99)