Copyright
Charles Henry Carey.

History of Oregon (Volume 3) online

. (page 44 of 99)
Online LibraryCharles Henry CareyHistory of Oregon (Volume 3) → online text (page 44 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ment.



LEWIS E. ROY.



A native son of Oregon is Lewis E. Roy, who since 1889 has been actively engaged
in the blacksmith business at Pilot Rock, Umatilla county. He was born in Washing-
ton county on the 17th of June, 1861, a son of Daniel F. and Sarah P. (Morris) Roy.
The father was a native of Missouri, while the mother was born in Wisconsin. In 1S51
Daniel F. Roy came west with his parents, making the trip overland in ox-drawn
wagons. They followed the old Oregon Trail and after six months of hardship arrived
in Washington county, Oregon, where they took up land upon which they built a three
room log house, and there his parents resided until death. Daniel F. Roy left this
home ranch when but a boy and went to California, where he engaged in prospecting
and mining. His death occurred while he was in that line of work in Jacksonville
county, Oregon, at the age of fifty-four years. Daniel F. Roy and Sarah P. Morris were
married in Yamhill county and Mrs. Roy is now living in Yamhill at the advanced age
of seventy-seven years. In 1851 she also came overland by ox-team to Oregon, with her
parents. Her father, E. S. Morris, came west from Wisconsin in 1851 and located on
land west of Yamhill. He improved this land, whereon he built a log house and there
resided until his death, which occurred at the age of ninety-seven years. His wife
passed away four years later, at age of ninety-six years. Throughout his life Daniel
F. Roy was a democrat, having firm belief in the principles of that party as factors
in good government.

Lewis E. Roy acquired his education in the schools of Yamhill county and also at
Hillsboro, Washington county, and remained with his grandfather on the home ranch
until he reached manhood. He then determined to learn the blacksmith's trade and
spent three years with W. R. Brown at Amity. The next four years were spent in
Hillsboro, under the able tutorship of R. C. Cave, and in due time, finishing his appren-
ticeship, he followed his trade at Forest Grove, McMinnville and Portland, Oregon,
and Seattle, Washington. In 1889 he came to Pilot Rock and opened up a blacksmith
shop, in the conduct of which he has been active for over thirty years. He has built
up an extensive patronage and his shop is widely known, throughout the community.
His life has been an intensely busy one and its use and worth none of his fellow
citizens question.

In 1893 Mr. Roy was united in marriage to Miss Hattie M. Miller, a daughter of
Abraham and Nancy Miller, and a native of Washington, her birth having occurred
near Walla Walla. Her parents were both natives of Indiana and came to Oregon in
1861 by way of the old Oregon Trail. They brought with them numerous horses and
cattle, which were stampeded during several Indian attacks and many of them were
lost. Mr. Miller acquired a homestead where Hotel Pendleton now stands and there
he resided for a number of years. For some time he lived in Washington but returned
to Oregon and spent his last years in Pilot Rock. To the union of Mr. and Mrs.
Roy three children have been born: Marvin L.. Norris G., and Teddy A.

Mr. Roy has always given his support to the republican party, in the interests of



334 HISTORY OF OREGON

■which he has taken a prominent part, although he has had no desire to hold public
office. He is a member of the Odd Fellows and takes an interest in all civic affairs.
The support of Mr. Roy may always be counted upon in the promoting of a movement
which he deems of value to the welfare of the community. The success which he has
achieved is the result of his own labor and he is readily conceded to be an exemplary
citizen of Pilot Rock.



WILLIAM WALLACE PAYNE.

William Wallace Payne, vice president of the Pacific Export Lumber Company
and a well known figure in lumber circles in the northwest, has been a resident of
Portland since 1902. His birth occurred on a farm near Port Townsend, Washington,
in 1S80, his parents being William and Irma (Pilcher) Payne. The father was born
in New Brunswick, Canada, in 1845, and in early life came to the Pacific coast, settling
in Jefferson county, Washington, where he was married to Miss Pilcher, a native of
California. At the time of the Civil war he espoused the Union cause and did active
duty at the front. He was prominent in democratic circles and was a recognized
political leader of the state, serving for three terms in the lower house of the Wash-
ington general assembly. He died in the year 1897.

William W. Payne attended the schools of Port Townsend, where he pursued a
high school course and then received his initial training in the lumber busi-
ness. Throughout his entire career he has been connected with the lumber trade.
He has never dissipated his energies over a broad field but has concentrated his efforts
upon a thorough mastery of every phase of the lumber business and step by step has
advanced, his increasing power and ability bringing him prominently to the front in
this connection. In 1917 he was made vice president of the Pacific Export Lumber
Company, having tor the previous eleven years been a representative of this company
in China, where the corporation has an extensive trade. He is also a director, of the
R. J. Brown Company, a lumber concern, and a director in The Par East Hardwood
Company. The business of these corporations has become one of large volume, so that
as an official Mr. Payne is directing very important interests and is regarded as one
of the prominent lumbermen of the northwest.

On the 25th of October, 1913, in Manila, Philippine Islands, Mr. Payne was united
in marriage to Miss Shelby Martin and they have become the parents of four children:
Margaret E., William W., Jr., Shelby P. and Richard M. Mr. Payne attends the Pres-
byterian church and is a thirty-second degree Mason. He also belongs to the Arlington
Club and his interest in local affairs is shown by his membership in the Chamber of
Commerce and his support of the organized efforts of that institution to upbuild the
city, to advance its trade relations and to maintain high civic standards. His political
endorsement has always been given to the democratic party and while never an office
seeker he has measured up to high standards of citizenship and during the war period
took active part in promoting the bond drives.



A. L. KEENAN.



A. L. Keenan, who was prominently known for many years as a general contractor
of Portland, was born in Piatt county, Illinois, in 1860, a son of Samuel M. and Rebecca
(Prey) Keenan, the former a native of Clinton county, Ohio, while the latter was
born in Franklin county of the same state. The mother died when a comparatively
young' woman, being about thirty-one years of age. The father and his family after-
ward came to Oregon in 1871, settling near Milwaukie, while subsequently they removed
to Portland, where the sons became actively engaged in general contracting, in which
they continued for many years. The firm became prominently associated with many
public improvements and had the contract for nearly all of the street pavement in
East Portland. A. L. Keenan was a most energetic and progressive business man. He
acquainted himself with every phase of the business in which he engaged and was
constantly seeking to promote progress in his chosen field, adopting every new method
which he deemed of value In the prosecution of the work. He remained in the busi-



HISTORY OF OREGON 335

ness until about two years prior to liis death and tlirougliout the entire period main-
tained an unassailable reputation tor business integrity as well as enterprise.

In 1893 Mr. Keeuan was united in marriage to Mrs. Anna J. Falke, a daughter of
Phillip and Mary (Knoph) Hartman, and the widow of Henry F. Falke. By her
former marriage Mrs. Keenan had two sons: Fred W., who is a resident of Portland;
and Frank P., who has passed away. Her first husband, Henry F. Falke, departed this
life in 18S7. Mr. and Mrs. Keenan had no children of their own but reared an adopted
son, William S. Keenan, whom they took frcm the Waverly Baby Home in 1904 and
carefully educated. When war was declared he enlisted on the 11th of April, 1917, in
the navy and was in European waters for twenty-one months, serving on one of the
destroyers, being a pointer on the U. S. S. Paulding. He received an honorable dis-
charge on the 17th of June, 1919, in Salt Lake City, and is now at Heppner, Oregon,
where he occupies a clerical position with the O.-W. Railroad & Navigation Company.

Mr. Keenan was one of the most active and earnest supporters of the Waverly
Baby Home. He became one of the cnarter members thereof on its organization thirty-
one years ago. This home was established under the auspices of the Woman's Chris-
tian Temperance Union and from that time until his death Mr. Keenan remained
treasurer of the institution. Land was given for the building by Captain Kern and
the association erected the builamg. I\ir. Keenan many times went to the Home and
assisted the association when he was physically unable to do so. The cause, however,
made strong appeal to his sympathy and many times he and his wife took children
into their own home and cared for them without compensation. The association has
indeed lost a most faithful friend in his passing. He took a keen and helpful interest
in all activities for the betterment of mankind and the uplift of the individual, his
aid and influence ever being on the side of right, progress and reform. Fraternally
he was identified with the Woodmen of the World, the Independent Order of Odd Fel-
lows, the Neighbors of Woodcraft and the Grange. His religious faith was indicated
by his membership in the United Evangelical church, of which he was a strong sup-
porter, while the cause of prohibition also found in h;m a stanch champion. He
had reached the sixtieth milestone on life's journey when called to his final rest on
the 29th of June, 1920.



FRANK LESLIE McGUIRE.



Frank Leslie McGuire is the president of the McGuire Investment Company of
Portland and a national figure in real estate circles. He was born in 1887, in Portland,
and is a son of Hollister D. and Kate (Stuart) McGuire. The father was also a native
of Oregon, his birth having occurred in Washington county in 1852, his parents having
been among the earliest of the pioneer settlers in the northwest. Having arrived at
years of maturity he wedded Kate Stuart, a native of Arkansas. The grandfather was
Francis McGuire, who was born in Virginia and came across the plains with ox team
and wagon to Oregon in 1852. From that time to the present the family has taken
active part in laying broad and deep the foundation upon which the present progress
and prosperity of the state are built. Hollister D. McGuire remained a resident of
Oregon throughout his life and was filling the position of fish commissioner of the
state when he passed away in 1S9S.

Frank L. McGuire was reared in Portland and here attended the public schools,
spending two years as a high school pupil. His textbooks were put aside when he
reached the age of nineteen years that he might start out in the business world and
he established a grocery store, which he conducted for two years, winning success in
that venture. He then sold his store, bought sheep and engaged in sheep raising tor
about a year. In the spring of 1918 he established a real estate business in Portland
and has since been active along that line. He is a man of notable enterprise and pre-
science in business affairs, his keen discrimination and sound judgment being con-
stantly manifest in his management of his real estate interests. Something of the
volume of his business is indicated in the fact that the company of which he is the
head sold one thousand two hundred and fifty-seven homes in Portland in 1920, estab-
lishing a national record.

In July, 1918, in San Francisco. Mr. McGuire was united in marriage to Miss
Hazel Allen. They attend the Presbyterian church, in which they hold membership,
and Mr. McGuire gives his political support to the republican party. He is now one



336 HISTORY OF OREGOX

of the directors of the Roosevelt Republican Club and has also held other public office,
having served as president of the Portland Realty Board in 1917. Fraternally he is
a thirty-second degree Mason and member of the Mystic Shrine and also belongs to the
Woodmen of the World and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He has member-
ship relations with the Multnomah Club, the Chamber of Commerce, the Portland
Realty Club, the Artisans, the Kiwanis Club, the Ad Club and the One Hundred Per
Cent Club. His interests are broad and varied, showing him to be a man of well
rounded character. While but thirty-three years of age he has already attained a posi-
tion which many an older man might well envy and what he has accomplished in real
estate circles indicates that his future career will be well worth watching.



HENRY ARTHUR WELLINGTON GRAHAM.

Henry A. W. Graham is now holding the position of cashier of the Canby State
Bank and is widely recognized as one of the prominent citizens of Clackamas county.
He is a native of the province of Ontario, Canada, born there on the 14th of May,
1886, a son of J. H. and Minetta (Howse) Graham. His ancestors had long been
residents of Ontario, Canada, but his parents removed to the United States in 1897.

When his parents removed to the United States Mr. Graham was in his eleventh
year, and after they had become settled in Minnesota, he began his education. His
elementary education was received in that state and determining upon a professional
career Mr. Graham engaged in teaching school to assist in paying his way through
college. He attended the Valparaiso College and in due time graduated as a pharmacist.
He continued to teach and supplemented that work with clerking in drug stores, and
as a result of this industry was able to take an academic course in the University
of Chicago. With this knowledge as a firm foundation Mr. Graham became connected
with a drug establishment at Detroit, Minnesota, and remained in this position for a
time. In 1907 he removed to Oregon and continued his profession at Salem and Port-
land. He later purchased a drug business at Woodlawn and successfully conducted
that venture until 1912, when he became a member of the Huntley Drug Company
and went to Canby. In Canby he took charge of the firm's business but in 1916
severed his connections with this company and accepted the position of cashier with
the Canby State Bank. He has since held this position, to which he has devoted much
industry and diligence and as a result has won the confidence and goodwill of those
with whom he has been associated.

In 1913 Mr. Graham was united in marriage to Miss Theresa Horrigan, a daugh-
ter of Michel Horrigan, who as a well known railroad contractor of Omaha, Nebraska,
constructed a large portion of the Union Pacific Railway west of Omaha and across
Wyoming.

In fraternal circles Mr. Graham is also a man of importance. He has achieved the
rank of thirty-second degree Mason and is a Noble of the Mystic Shrine. He is also
affiliated with the Elks, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Woodmen of the
World, and the United Artisans. Although Mr. Graham has never taken an active
part in politics he has always been active in every civic movement and any move-
ment pertaining to the welfare of his county and state could always count on his
services. He is widely recognized as a capable business man and a popular citizen,
who has done much to advance the interest of Clackamas county and the state.



DR. JOHN HAROLD ROSSMAN.

That Oregon offers exceptional advantages to energetic, active, clean-living young
men has been demonstrated by the story of Dr. John Harold Rossman, one of Hills-
boro's leading dentists. His parents, John B. and Adele (Stevens) Rossman, were
both natives of Minnesota and John Harold Rossman was born in St. Paul in 1888.
His father was a contractor and builder who still makes his home in that city and
many examples of his ability as a builder may be seen in the manufacturing and rail-
way district of Hamline. midway between the Twin Cities. The family is an old one.
antedating the Revolution and one which has taken up arms for its country upon every



HISTORY OF OREGON 337

occasion where need required— in the Revolution, in the War of 1812, in the Civil war
where the grandfather of Dr. Rossman represented the family and in the World war
where the doctor himself enlisted to uphold the family name. That Dr. Rossman.
trained at Base Hospital, No. 44. for service in the Medical Reserve Corps, was debarred
from active hostilities was due only to the signing of the armistice. The Stevens fam-
ily, early pioneers of Ohio and Tennessee, are also one hundred per cent American.

Dr. Rossman received his education in the common schools of St. Paul and later
at the University of Minnesota. Seeking his fortune he came to the Pacific coast in
1907 and remained in Oregon. He worked as a clerk in the United States National
Bank of Portland and after a year went to the Northwest Light and Power Company at
Yakima, Washington. The precarious condition of his mother's health recalled him at
this time to St. Paul, but upon her recovery he again came west and established himself
in the real estate and insurance business in Yakima. Making a trip through the Bend
section of Oregon he made small investments in land and then went to Alaska as the
representative of his father who had become interested in mining in the territory. Re-
turning to Oregon he accepted a position in the oflBce of the sheriff of Multnomah county
where he remained for two years, studying law. He had become intensely interested
in the science of dentistry, however, and entering the North Pacific Dental College he
graduated in 1919 with the degree of D. D. S. He began his practice in Hillsboro
immediately and his success has been marked. He plans to specialize in dental surgery.

In 191S Dr. Rossman was united in marriage to Miss Louise Palmer, a daughter of
Edward Palmer who is an extensive fruit-grower of Yakima, Washington. Mrs. Ross-
man is a graduate trained nurse, licensed in both Washington and Oregon. She is
active in church work and is prominent in women's clubs and has organized and is
the leader of the Girls' Reserve Movement of the Y. W. C. A.

Dr. Rossman belongs to the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity and is a Knight of Pythias.
He is also a member of the State Dental Society and the National Dental Association.
During his residence in Hillsboro he has by his conduct and his ability become recog-
nized as a coming man in his profession.



HUBERT GAYLORD COLTON.

For thirty-one years Hubert Gaylord Colton has been identified with the insurance
business in Portland and since 1890 has been manager for Oregon of the Massachusetts
Mutual Life Insurance Company. He was born at Monson, Massachusetts, June 15,
1863, and is a son of the Rev. Theron Gaylord Colton, who was born in Westford, New
York, in 1822. The ancestral line is traced back to George Colton, who became the
progenitor of the family in America, crossing the Atlantic from England in 1642. The
grandfather was the Rev. George Colton, a Congregational minister. The father, the
grandfather and the forbears of Hubert G. Colton were for two hundred years graduates
of Yale College. Theron G. Colton was united in marriage to Miss Jane E. Harwood
and passed away at Hudson, Michigan, in 1896, while his wife died in 1900.

Hubert G. Colton was reared in Whitewater, Wisconsin, to the age of twelve years,
his parents removing to that place with their family in the year of his birth and there
remaining until 1875. He afterward lived in Hudson, Michigan, until 1889 and during
these periods was a pupil in the public schools but never had a college course. In the
school of experience, however, he has learned many valuable lessons and has developed
his powers through the exercise of effort, which does not tire but gives resistance and
force. In 1889 he came to Portland, attracted by the opportunities of the growing north-
west. He was at that time a young man of twenty-six years, alert, energetic and enter-
prising and with determination to win success if he could do so through industry and
honorable methods. In the year of his arrival he accepted the agency of the Massa-
chusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company and since 1890 has been manager for Oregon,
in which connection he has developed an excellent organization, having splendidly sys-
tematized the business, with results that are most satisfactory, the business of the com-
pany in this state being now of a very substantial character. He has also become a
director of the State Bank of Portland.

On the 13th of December, 1893, in the city which is still his home, Mr. Colton was

married to Miss Genevieve George, a daughter of Hugh N. George, deceased, who was

a member of the electoral college of 1864 which cast its vote for Abraham Lincoln for

the presidency. To Mr. and Mrs. Colton has been born a daughter, Gretchen Harwood,

Vol. in— 2 2



338 HISTORY OF OREGON

who was graduated with the class of 3 920 from the University of Oregon; and a son,
George Theron, who was born November 14, 1894, and also completed a university
course, receiving his diploma as a member of the class of 1920. He enlisted in the navy
in April, 1917, the day before war was declared, and was assigned first to the Marble-
head and later to the Washington. He received an honorable discharge in June, 1919,
having reached the rank of ensign several months prior thereto. He was offered a
lieutenancy in the navy if he would remain but he felt that it was wise to return home
and is now associated with his father in the insurance business. He was married July
12, 1919, in Spokane, to Miss Helen McCornac, a daughter of John K. McComac, and
they now have one son, Robert Colton.

The religious faith of H. G. Colton is that of the Congregational church. He votes
with the republican party but has never been an office seeker nor an active worker in
party ranks. During the war period he took a helpful interest in promoting the bond
drives. He is well known to the membership of the Chamber of Commerce, with
which organization he is identified, and that he is appreciative of the social amenities
of life is manifest in his connection with the Kiwanis Club, of which he is the vice
president, the City Club and the Multnomah Club. He stands for all those forces which
make for good citizenship, for progressiveness in business and for social and moral
advancement, and for many years Hubert Gaylord Colton has been numbered
the valued and representative residents of Oregon.



DR. CARL LOVEN.



Thorough scientific training and broad experience have well qualified Dr. Carl
Loven for the work in which he is engaged as a foot specialist and chiropodist, spe-
cializing in the correction of weakness and deformity of the feet. Since establishing
his office in Portland he has gained recognition as a skilled and able practitioner along
his chosen line of endeavor and is now enjoying an extensive patronage. Dr. Loven
is a native of Sweden. He was born in Eslof in 1880 and after completing his school
and military education pursued an extensive course in Swedish medical massage and
gymnastics, followed by a special course in foot orthopedics and treatment for debility
of the feet in the hospital maintained by the New York Society for the Relief of the
Ruptured and Crippled, under supervision of the eminent chief surgeon. Dr. Virgil P.
Gibney, a surgeon of national reputation. Engaging in professional work in his
native land Dr. Loven emigrated to the United States in 1911, establishing an 6ffice
in New York city, where he engaged in practice as a masseur and foot specialist.
While there residing he also became a student in the First Institute of Podiatry. In
1918 he removed to the west, opening an office in the Broadway building in Portland,
where he is now engaged in practice as a chiropodist.

He thoroughly understands the scientific principles which underlie his work, is
most skilful in the treatment of patients and his patronage is therefore constantly
increasing. Dr. Loven is a member of the National Association of Chiropodists and
president of the State Pedic Society of Oregon. Incorporated, which society he formed
and organized in March, 1920, and incorporated in July of the same year. This Pedic
Society composed of licensed chiropodists practicing in this state, was formed pri-
marily for the purpose of securing proper legislation for regulating the practice



Online LibraryCharles Henry CareyHistory of Oregon (Volume 3) → online text (page 44 of 99)