Copyright
Charles Henry Carey.

History of Oregon (Volume 3) online

. (page 97 of 99)
Online LibraryCharles Henry CareyHistory of Oregon (Volume 3) → online text (page 97 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of success. He is the owner of a valuable farm situated one mile north of Independence
and is extensively engaged in the raising of hops, which is becoming one of the most
important and profitable industries of the state. Mr. Hanna is a native of Pennsylvania.
He was born July 14, 1866, and is a son of James and Bethsheba (Fails) Hanna, who



HISTORY OP OREGON 731

were also born in that state, where the father followed farming throughout his active
life. He passed away in 1915 and the mother's demise occurred in March, 1920.

Their son, Hugh H. Hanna, was reared and educated in the Keystone state and
remained with his parents until he reached the age of twenty-three years. He then
worked as a woodman in the lumber camps for a number of years and in 1892 made
his way to Oregon, taking up his residence in Mill City, where he became an employe
of the Mill City Lumber Company, and for fifteen years was identified with lumbering
interests. On the expiration of that period he removed to Independence, where, in
association with his three brothers, he established a hardware business, continuing
active in its conduct for three years. They then purchased a farm of one hundred and
eighty-seven acres located one mile north of the town, on which they engaged in the
growing of hops. Later Mr. Hanna acquired the interests of his brothers in the
property, which he has since operated most successfully. He has made a close study
of the soil in relation to the production of crops here and his tract is now rich and
productive, yielding bountiful harvests. He has added many improvements to his
farm, utilizing the most modern equipment in its cultivation, and everything about
the place is indicative of the careful supervision and progressive methods of the
owner. He is devoting one hundred acres of his land to the raising of hops, having
six hop houses and conducting his operations along that line on a most extensive
scale. He also raises pure bred Holstein cattle, finding them well adapted for dairy
purposes, and his unremitting energy, close application and study of the business to
which he has turned his attention have brought to him substantial financial returns.

On the 26th of April, 1896, Mr. Hanna was united in marriage to Miss Lela Simp-
son and they became the parents of two children, namely: Wayne, residing at home;
and Lena, who died when but seven years of age. Mrs. Hanna passed away the year
following the demise of her daughter and on the 16th of October, 1912, Mr. Hanna
wedded Maggie Pomroy, by whom he has three children: Lida May, Hugh Pomroy
and Robert Ira.

In his political views Mr. Hanna is a republican, and fraternally he is identified
with the Knights of Pythias and the Woodmen of the World, while his religious faith
is indicated by his membership in the Methodist Episcopal church. His fellow citizens
number him among the self-made men of Polk county, for when he arrived in this
state he was entirely without capital and is today the possessor of a substantial com-
petence, which he has acquired through methods that neither seek nor require dis-
guise. On the contrary his course is one which may profitably be followed by others,
and his example should serve as a source of inspiration and encouragement to those
who must start out in the world without financial assistance, as he did.



JAMES P. HENNESSY.



The prosperity of any community, town or city depends upon its commercial
activity, its industrial interests and its trade relations, and therefore among the
builders of a town are those who stand at the head of the business enterprises. James
P. Hennessy, general manager of the Shevlin-Hixon Company, is one of the alert,
successful business men of Bend. For many years he has been associated with the
company which was established by the late Thomas L. Shevlin. Mr. Shevlin, after
graduating from Yale with the class of 1908, came to Oregon on a visit and being
impressed with the immense possibilities offered in the western yellow pine timber-
land, purchased some two hundred and fifty thousand acres in the upper Deschutes
valley. In August, 1915, he began construction of the plant and in March of the
following year began sawing logs. It was about that time that Deschutes county
became a reality. The success of Mr. Shevlin's venture seemed assured from the start
and today the plant is the largest in the northwest. Much of the company's success
may be attributed to the tireless energy, keen business ability and stanch determina-
tion of two men who had long been associated with the Shevlin-Hixon interests in other
parts of the country — Thomas A. McCann and James P. Hennessy, whose name initiates
this review.

Mr. McCann made his home in Bend until 1921, during which time he was general
manager of the Bend plant, being ably assisted by James P. Hennessy who was then
sales manager and assistant general manager. A graduate of Georgetown TTniversity
with the class of 1907, Mr. McCann made his initial step into the business world in



7.32 HISTORY OF OREGON

connection with the Shevlin-Hixon Company, in whose employ he has continued. His
ability won him constant promotion and he is now vice president and general man-
ager of the entire business, with headquarters in St. Paul, Minnesota. The Shevlin-
Hixon interests extend from Minnesota to California and they have various plants
located in cities between those states. Upon Mr. McCann's removal from Bend, Mr.
Hennessy became his successor.

James P. Hennessy was horn in Ontario, Canada, December 28, 1879, a son of
Michael and Margaret (Barry) Hennessy. His father followed farming in Ontario
until 1S91 when he removed his family to North Dakota, where he is now living and
is successfully engaged in the wholesale grain business. James P. Hennessy received
his early education in Canada and later in North Dakota, whence he had removed
with his parents. After graduating from a business college he went into the retail
lumber trade, remaining active along that line for eight years, and then became
a traveling salesman for the Crookston Lumber Company. Five years he spent in
traveling and then for the following four years was engaged in the company's mill.
About that time the death of T. L. Shevlin occurred and Mr. McCann. who was engaged
in building the Bend plant, sent foB.Mr. Hennessy upon its completion in 1916, offering
him the positions of sales manager and assistant general manager. Quick to recognize
the opportunities for success offered him by connection with such a well established
business as the Shevlin-Hixon Company, Mr. Hennessy resigned his position at the
mill and removed to Bend. He was active in those capacities until July, 1921, when
Mr. McCann was elected vice president and general manager of the parent company,
with headquarters in St. Paul, Minnesota. Mr. Hennessy was then appointed general
manager of the Bend plant. In the discharge of his duties he gives evidence of
possessing rare capability and efficiency and he has gained a prominent place in the
estimation of his associates.

That Mr. Hennessy's duties are most important and that his company is the most
potent factor in the continued growth of Bend, can be understood by a brief recital of
its activities. The Bend plant has the capacity for turning out one hundred million
feet of lumber per annum and the box factory produces one hundred cars of box shooks
monthly. The Shevlin-Hixon plant has attracted the attention, not only of the lumber
manufacturers of the west, but of the entire country, because it is equipped with the
latest and best and most modern machinery ever used in the manufacture of lumber.
Raw timber is brought from the woods, put through the mill and made into lumber, a
portion of which goes on through additional processes and becomes sashes, doors, etc.
The products of the plant are shipped to all parts of the world. The average number
of employes is nine hundred and fifty and of these more than one hundred and fifty
own their homes. Fifty families reside at the camps. The payroll for last year
amounted to over a million and a half dollars. Every care and consideration is given
the employes of the company and a school for further educational training known
as the Shevlin-Hixon school is maintained at the camp. The employes publish a
monthly paper called the "Shevlin Equalizer" and they have an excellent band.

In 1909 occurred the marriage of Mr. Hennessy to Miss Marion J. Kaelbli, a native
of Minnesota, and four children have been born to their union: Marion Grace,
Margaret, Rosemary and James P., Jr. Mrs. Hennessy is very popular in Bend and is
a member of the best clubs and societies of the community.

The fraternal affiliations of Mr. Hennessy are with the Knights of Columbus, of
which he has been the first Grand Knight and he is active as a member of the Con-
catenated Order of Hoo Hoos, an exclusive lumber organization. Mr. Hennessy has
been an important factor in business circles and his prosperity and success are well
deserved, as in him are embraced the characteristics of an unbending integrity, un-
abatlng energy and Industry that never flags. He is public-spirited, giving his coopera-
tion to every movement which tends to promote the moral, intellectual and material
welfare of the community.



CAPTAIN FRED B. MAY.



Captain Fred B. May was one of the best known figures in connection with Port-
land's fire department for many years. He became associated with the department
when it was a volunteer organization and after it was placed upon a paying basis he
rose to the rank of captain. Portland was his native city, his birth having here



HISTORY OF OREGON 733

occurred September 17, 1S65. He was a son of John and Mary (Sexton) May, the
former a native of Georgia, while the latter was born in Iowa. The father was a
carpenter by trade and in 1S60 crossed the plains with ox teams, making the long
Journey over the hot stretches of sand and through the mountain passes until he
reached Oregon, where he cast in his lot with the pioneer settlers.

Captain May acquired his education in the public schools of Portland and early
learned the painter's trade, which he followed in young manhood. In 1S81 he joined
the fire department as a volunteer with Engine Company No. 5. He remained with
this company until it went out of existence, when he became associated with Company
No. 3 as hoseman and was made foreman of Truck No. 3. He continued to act in
that capacity until Engine Company No. S was formed, when he was advanced to a
captaincy and continued to act in that position until his death, which occurred on the
22d of April, 1920. His death was a distinct loss to the department of which he had
for forty years been a most faithful, capable and efficient representative.

On the 7th of November, 1S91, Captain May was united in marriage to Miss Mary
E. Walter, a daughter of Solomon Alexander and Disey (Foster) Walter, who were
natives of Ohio and became residents of Portland at an early period in the development
of the city. Captain and Mrs. May became the parents of two daughters: Maud, who
is now the wife of Frank Mero of Raymond, Washington: and Madeline, at home.

Captain May was a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and his
religious faith was indicated by his membership in the White Temple Baptist church.
His life was ever guided by high and honorable principles and the sterling worth of
his character was recognized by all with whom he came into contact.



CAPTAIN JOSEPH R. WILEY.

It has been said that Portland has never known a more generous man or more
kindly spirit than Captain Joseph R. Wiley, who became identified with the city in
pioneer times and who through the ensuing years to the date of his death stood for
all that was most vital and best in the development and upbuilding of the state. He
was born near Mineral Point, Iowa county, Wisconsin, December 30, 1S44, a son of
Elias and Catherine (Haney) Wiley, who had removed from New York to Wisconsin.
When gold was discovered in California, the father visited the state but afterward
returned to his family in the middle west and then in 1852 again started for the
Pacific coast, with Oregon as his destination. He was made the captain of the wagon
train, which he owned, and he undertook the task of bringing a number of fine blooded
horses and cattle to the northwest; but death claimed him ere he reached his destina-
tion and his wife was thus left with three small children, with twenty-five wagons
and the fine stock. It was a big undertaking for the frail little woman to continue
the journey. She rode her favorite horse, Black Hawk, so named after the Indian
chief. While in camp one night, soon after her husband's death, the stock strayed
away into the heavy timber. The next morning not a man in the train would venture
into the woods for the stock, fearing the Indians, so Mrs. Wiley mounted Black Hawk,
which would allow no one to ride him but his mistress, and left her children and all
the wagons in charge of several of her relatives who were in the train, while she
made her way into the timber after her cattle. On returning with them, she found
that all of the wagons had gone on save the one containing the three children. She
then had to drive her stock and that wagon into camp, where she caught up with the
rest of the train. She had transferred to herself the money belt which her husband
had worn, containing several thousand dollars. Finally the party reached Portland in
safety and there, sometime afterward, Mrs. Wiley became the wife of William P.
Burke. She invested in a large amount of property, which in time became quite
valuable. She was the first to introduce blooded stock into Oregon. She remained
one of the honored pioneer women of the state until called to her final rest January 3,
1902, when eighty-two years of age, remaining very active to the time of her demise.

Joseph R. Wiley was but seven years of age when he started with his parents on
the long trip over the hot sandy plains and through the mountain passes to Oregon.
His yoiith, therefore, was largely spent in Portland, where he pursued his education
in the Portland Academy, and later was graduated from Santa Clara College of Cali-
fornia. He displayed special aptitude in his studies, his scholastic record being a
matter of pride to his instructors. He afterward established a parochial school in



734 HISTORY OF OREGON

Portland in connection ■with the cathedral of this city and a year later was elected
to fhe position of county school superintendent, which office he resigned in 1869 to
become the deputy county clerk under B. L. Norden, serving in that office until the
close of the term in July, 1S70. During a portion of the time in which he had been
school superintendent he was also deputy marshal under A. L. Zeiber. He entered
journalistic circles in July, 1870, when he took charge of the commercial and adver-
tising departments of the Daily Herald, but after several months he resigned that
position to become captain of the Portland police force as the first incumbent in the
office, which he filled until March, 1875. Two months later he was elected a member
of the common council and for three years labored most earnestly in that position
to promote the welfare and advance the interests of the city. While thus engaged
he devoted the hours that are usually termed leisure to the study of law and in the
spring of 1879 was appointed justice of the peace, which positiou he filled for a year
and a half. He then established a real estate agency and in February, 1882, he pur-
chased the Catholic Sentinel, which he afterward ably conducted, displaying marked
literary ability in that connection.

Mr. Wiley was also keenly interested in military and civic affairs and for many
years was an active member of the board of fire delegates from Multnomah Engine
Company No. 2, while from 1871 until 1875 he was captain of the Emmet Guard. He
won the rank of major through his service on the staff of Major General Effinger, to
which he was appointed in 1878. He always figured more or less prominently in
politics and in 1876 was made sergeant-at-arms of the house when Governor Grover
was elected to the senate.

On the 9th of February, 1874, Mr. Wiley was married to Miss Maggie Hickey, who
was born in Boston and in 1865 started for San Francisco, crossing the Isthmus and
proceeding from San Francisco to Portland with her sister, who was married and with
whom she was to make her home. To them were born the following children: Clarissa,
who is at home; William Burke, deceased; Joseph B., vice president of the Hibernian
Bank; and Eunice Cecile, the wife of John K. Stack, a resident of Michigan.

Captain Wiley was always a prominent member of the Catholic church and served
as president of the St. Vincent de Paul Society for eight years. He was also state
treasurer of the Ancient Order of Hibernians and was four times elected president
of the Father Mathew Temperance Society. His outstanding characteristic perhaps
was his generosity. He freely aided all who needed assistance and was continually
doing a good deed, of which he never spoke, for he was free from ostentation in all
of his charitable acts. He was well known in the Pioneer Association and the friends
of his early and later residence in Portland mourned his death, which occurred
February 8, 1894.



ARTHUR J. GILL.



Prominent in the agricultural circles of Umatilla county is Arthur J. Gill, who is
in farming and stock raising on section 7, range 1, seven miles from Pilot
Rock. He was born in Hancock county, Illinois, April 19, 1873. a sou of William H.
and Caroline (Buholts) Gill, the former a native of Louisville, Kentucky, and the
latter of Iowa. When a young man, the father, William Gill, left Louisville with his
parents and settled in Hancock county, Illinois, where he engaged in farming for some
time. In 1863 he went to northeastern Missouri and while there enlisted in the Union
army tor service in the Civil war. He was a member of the Seventh Missouri Cavalry
and had been in service eighteen months when the horse he was riding fell and he
received injuries which so disabled him that he was given his honorable discharge.
He then returned to Illinois, and followed farming until 1881, when he came west and
located near the present ranch of Arthur J. Gill. Here he took up land but failed to
prove up on it and after spending some time in Colorado and California for his health
he returned to Oregon, took up another piece of land near his first homestead, and
proved up on it. In August, 1916, he bought another one hundred and sixty acres, which
he improved. The death of William Gill occurred at the Pendleton Hospital in January,
1907, at the age of sixty-three years.

The boyhood of Arthur J. Gill was spent in Illinois, where he received his education,
and in the years 1899-1900 he attended the State Normal School. In 1899 he came west
and took up his present ranch of one hundred and sixty acres. He had visited Oregon



HISTORY OF OREGON 735

iu 1883 and had been so impressed with the opportunities offered that he determined
to make this state his home. He improved his original one hundred and sixty acres
near Pilot Rock in Umatilla county and later purchased sixteen hundred and forty
acres and two thousand acres of range land. This ranch he is now conducting, raising
wheat and cattle and horses. He has also done some sheep shearing throughout the
country.

Mr. Gill gives his allegiance to the republican party, but he has never held office nor
cared for political preferment. He devotes his entire time to the conduct of his ranch
interests and he is a stockholder in the Farmers Cooperative Elevator in Pilot Rock.
His ranch, highly developed and richly productive; his stock scientifically cared for;
his modern barns and outbuildings set in the midst of his many acres; all of these pay
tribute to his agricultural efficiency and skill and mark him as an individual force in
the development of a great farming section.



SAMUEL SPITZER.



Samuel Spitzer, who, during the last fifteen years of his life, was a resident of
Oregon, was born in Austria in 1859. He was educated in the schools of his native
country and came to America on attaining his majority. After landing on the shores
of the new world he traveled through the east and for a time was employed as a cook.
Later he went to Colorado, and it was in Denver that he met and married Miss
Blanch Howe, a native of Missouri. To them was born a son, Samuel.

Early in 1905 Mr. Spitzer came with his family to Oregon, where he established
his home. Here he followed his trade throughout his remaining days, and on the 30th
of May, 1920, was called to his final rest. He never had occasion to regret his deter-
mination to come to the new world, for here he found the opportunities which he
sought and in their utilization he worked his way steadily upward, gaining a good
living for his family and at" all times his interest centered in his home.



ALFRED PAUL DOBSON.



Alfred Paul Dobson, senior partner in the law firm of Dobson & Krim of Port-
land, was born in Summitville, Indiana, March 24, 1879. His father, William H. Dob-
son, a native of North Carolina, was born in 1846, and went to Indiana with his parents
prior to the Civil war. He was married in that state to Prudence Allen and both have
passed away, the father's death occurring in 1907, while the mother departed this life
in 1881.

In his youthful days Alfred Paul Dobson attended the country schools of Madison
county, Indiana, to the age of sixteen years and in 1895 went to Indianapolis, where
he resided for about five years, clerking in dry goods stores during that period. Later
he removed to Des Moines, Iowa, and became the buyer for a big department store in
which he was employed for two years. He next went to Chicago, where he was sales
manager for James S. Kirk & Company, soap manufacturers, continuing in that con-
nection for five years and while thus engaged he devoted his evening hours to the study
of law by attending a night school. Laudable ambition prompted him to this course
and the same spirit of enterprise has actuated him at every point in his career. In
1909 he was admitted to the bar of Illinois, having taken special work for several years
at the Lewis Institute in Chicago. He left that city in March, 1910, to come to Port-
land and for six months engaged in practice alone. For a year thereafter he was asso-
ciated with the Hon. W. D. Fenton, and then again practiced alone, but is now senior
partner in the firm of Dobson & Krim. This firm enjoys a good clientage of an impor-
tant character that has connected them with much notable litigation tried in the courts
of the district.

In 1906 in Chicago, Mr. Dobson was united in marriage to Miss Florence Adams,
who passed away in 1914. His religious faith is that of the Baptist church and his
political belief is that of the democratic party. He belongs to the Portland Golt Club,
and largely finds his recreation on the links. During the World war he served on the
legal advisory board and was a speaker for all drives in connection with the promotion
of the Liberty Bond sales, the Y. M. C. A., and the Red Cross work. He was also on V

Vol. 111—47



736 HISTORY OF OREGON

of the state council for the alien property custodian and was untiring in his efforts
to promote the welfare and advance the interests of the great American army as repre-
sented in the camps of this country and upon the battle fields of Europe.



ERNEST WEAVER HARDY.



Ernest Weaver Hardy, member of the Portland bar since 1909, was born in North-
ampton, Massachusetts, February 16, 1S75, his parents being William H. and Euphemia
D. (Weaver) Hardy. The father and mother were both born in Connecticut. The
■father has passed away but the mother still survives, and is now making her home in
Portland with her son. In his early youth Ernest W. Hardy pursued his education in
the Northampton (Massachusetts) schools and later matriculated in Amherst College,
from which he was graduated in 1895 with the Bachelor of Arts degree. He then entered
upon the study of law, for a review of the broad fields of business with its limitless
opportunities along agricultural, industrial, commercial and professional lines had
determined him to choose the legal profession as a life work. After a thorough course
of study he was admitted to the Massachusetts bar in 1S97 and opened an office in his
native city, where he practiced tor ten years. He then sought the opportunities of the
growing west and in 1907 made his way to Fargo, North Dakota, where he remained



Online LibraryCharles Henry CareyHistory of Oregon (Volume 3) → online text (page 97 of 99)