Charles M. (Charles Manning) Walker.

History of Athens County, Ohio : and, incidentally, of the Ohio Land Company and the first settlement of the state at Marietta, with personal and biographical sketches of the early settlers, narratives of pioneer adventures, etc. online

. (page 31 of 39)
Online LibraryCharles M. (Charles Manning) WalkerHistory of Athens County, Ohio : and, incidentally, of the Ohio Land Company and the first settlement of the state at Marietta, with personal and biographical sketches of the early settlers, narratives of pioneer adventures, etc. → online text (page 31 of 39)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1 841 — John Armstrong.
1843 — Josiah True.
1845 — Charles R. Smith.
1846 — Hiram Fuller.
1851 — Charles R. Smith.
1852— J. W. P. Cook.
1853 — Hiram Fuller.
1854 — William Edwards.
1855 — E. D. Varner.

1856 — Hiram Fuller and Charles R. Smith.
1858 — Josephus Calvert.
1859 — Hiram Fuller and John Smith.
1862 — J. W. P. Cook, Hiram Fuller, and John Smith.
1865 — Job S. King.
1868 — Hiram Fuller. Charles R. Smith, and John Smith.



466 Dover Township.



Personal (irid Biographical.

Daniel IVeethee was born in New Hampshire in 1779.
He was a cooper by trade, and saved money enough,
during his youth, to buy a tract of land in what is now
Dover township. At the age of nineteen he set out
for the northwestern territory, made the tedious jour-
ney on foot and alone, and reached Marietta about the
middle of December, 1798. The next spring he and
another young man, Josiah True, came out to Dover,
traveling through the woods by the aid of a compass.
Arrived here they built a log cabin for their joint occu-
pancy (they were both unmarried), and lived together
about three years. Mr. True managed, by hard work
and by selling skins, furs, etc., to secure means enough

•to purchase a piece of land, and bought part of the
farm now owned by his son, Austin True, where he
lived during the rest of his life. Thus thev lived for
about three years in this truly pioneer fashion, with no
companions but the forest trees, and no neig;hbors but
the wild game of all sorts which abounded near their

'cabin.

In 1802 Mr. Weethee married Lucy Wilkins,
daughter of John Wilkins, one of the early settlers of
Athens township, and the next year Mr. True married
Almira, a daughter of Solomon Tuttle, then living on
the creek a few miles above, in what is nov.- Trimble
township.



History of Athens County, Ohio. 467

In 1804 Abraham Pugsley came in with his family,
and settled on the section south of Mr. Weethee and
Mr. True. Mr. Pugsley, who was a gbod citizen and
excellent man, reared a large and respectable family
here. He was drowned during the winter of the "cold
plague" in 18 14, while crossing the creek on the ice to
visit a sick family. His oldest son, John, died several
years since. The youngest son, James, is living,
though very old.

One of the daughters of Abraham Pugsley had a
singular adventure in early life. She was married, when
only thirteen years of age, to a man named Xeai.
Her husband enlisted in the army in 18 12, and, after
he had left home with his company, on a keel boar,
from the mouth of the Hockhocking (where they then
lived), for Newport, Kentucky, the rendezvous, h:s
wife determined to follow him and share his fortunes,
whatever they might be. She started down the river
alone in a canoe, and passed the first night in the little
craft on the water; but the next day overtook her hus-
band, and proceeded with him to St, Louis. Thence
his company was ordered to some point further wesr.
While going up the river the boat was landed for some
purpose, when Indians fired from an am.bush and killed
her husband and the infant in her arms, wounding her
at the same time. The companv, with Mrs. N'eal,
returned to St. Louis, from whence she rode on a pony
all the wav back to her father's in Dover township.



468 Dover Township.



In 1817 she was again married to Mr. John Fulton,
and died in May, 1866.

In 1800 the Sweat family came to I^ovcr, and settled
near the present site of Millfield. In 1802 John
Sweat built a rude mill there for grinding corn, which
was greatly prized by the settlement. Even persons
from Athens made use of this mill till the Gregory
mill was built, about four years later.

In 1802 Azel Johnson, with his family, settled in
Dover, on the creek and joining the Weethee farm.
Many of his descendants are still living in the town-
ship, Azel and Benjamin Johnson are sons of his.

The Nye family, consisting of Ebenezer, the father
(a native of Tolland, Connecticut, who came to the
territory in 179OJ, and four sons, viz: George, Xeal,
Nathan, and Theodorus. came out from Marietta in
1 8 14, and settled in Dover about a mile north of
Chauncey. The eldest son died in 1825, leaving: a
widow, Mrs. Lydia Nye, now living; at an advanced
age with her son, George Nve, on the place fi'-st occu-
pied by his father. The other brothers removed to
Meigs county, where their descendants are numerous
and respectable.

In 1820 the Nyes and some others formed a com-
pany to bore a salt well, on the place where Jeremiah
Morris now lives, but, after boring; to a considerable
depth, abandoned the undertaking. Ten or twelve
years later it was resumed by John Pus^slev, who, after



History of Athens County^ Ohio. 469



boring a little deeper, struck a vein of good salt water.
This was the first successful salt well bored in the
Hockhocking valley. About this time (1820) came
the Cass, the Chadwell, the Nesmith, and the Pratt
families, who have lived in Dover nearly fifty years,
and are all excellent people.

Three sons of Daniel Weethee, the pioneer, are now
living. Daniel W. Weethee lives on a fine farm in
Trimble township; Lorentius Weethee owns and occu-
pies the old homestead in Dover; and Jonathan P.
Weethee, who graduated at the Ohio university in
1832, and has been actively engaged during his life in
the ministry and in teaching in this and other states, is
now the president of Weethee college at Mt. Auburn,
in Dover.

Josiah True^ the companion and friend of Daniel
Weethee, was born in New Hampshire, October 25,
1776, came to Marietta in 1793, and to Dover town-
ship in 1800. He held the office of justice of the
peace in Dover, from 18 15 till 1851, and was respected
and popular. He died September 16, 1855. ^^''*
True was one of the founders of the " Coonskin
library," of Ames, and always a leader in pioneer im-
provements. One of the first spinning wheels intro-
duced into Dover was bought by him in 1S03. Hav-
ing accumulated a few bear and deer skins he carried
them on his back to Zanesville, fortv miles distant,



470 Dover Township.



purchased the wheel with the proceeds of the skins,
brought it home on his back (walking all the way), and
made the round trip of eighty miles in two days.

Most of the early settlers engaged more or less in
hunting, depending mainly on the forests for fresh
meat. On one occasion Josiah True and Cyrus Tut-
tle, his brother-in-law, drove a bear into a cave on
the farm now owned by Mr. Austin True, in Dover.
They succeeded in shooting the animal in a narrow
passage of the cave, and, having fastened a hickory
withe to his nose, were about to drag it to the open air.
Mr. True entered the cave, and got behind the dead
bear to assist Tuttle in shoving it out, when another
bear, hitherto unobserved, came rushing from the rear
end of the cave, directly on and over True's back,
crushing him down on his face with great violence, and
so made its escape out of the cave.

Mr. True, at a very early day, bought some choice
apples at Marietta, and sowed the seed from them,
from which he established the first nurserv attempted
in the county. Most of the old orchards on Sunday
and Monday creeks were planted from this nursery,
and some of the trees are still bearing.

Nehemiah Davis, "Elder Davis," a native of Maine,
came to Marietta in November, 1797, lived in Wash-
ington county several years, and removed to Dover
township in 1808. While living in Washington county



History of /It hens County^ Ohio. 47 i



Elder Davis organized a Baptist church, believed to be
the first Baptist church in Ohio. He died August 23,
1823. Some of his descendants are living in the
county, and a granddaughter married Colonel James
H'. Goodman, present state auditor ot Ohio.



472 Lee Township.



CHAPTER XIV.
Lee Township.

LEE township, originally a part of Alexander,
was separately orgainzed in November, 1819.
Among the earliest settlers here were Capt. John Mar-
tin, a revolutionary soldier, Philip Smith, Henry Cassel,
Ziba McVey, Daniel Knowlton, George Canny, John
Holdren, William Brown, William Graham, Jacob
Lentner, James McGonnegal, Francis Thomas, Sam-
uel Luckey, Hiram Howlett, and John Doughty,

The population of the township in 1820 was 342;
in 1830 it was 418; in 1840 it was 848; in 1850 it
was 961; in i860 it was 1,301. The inhabitants of
Lee are principally engaged in agriculture, and her
farmers rank among the best. Latterly they have
given especial attention to the growing of fine stock.

The center of population in the township is Albany,
a neat village and handsomely located. No commu-
nity in the county has attended more earnestly to the
cause ot education than the citizens of x-\lbanv, and



History of Athens County, Ohio. 473

they have several excellent local schools. The "At-
wood institute," originally founded, and for a few years
conducted, as a "manual labor school," is now con-
trolled by the Free-will Baptists, and, under the man-
agement of the Rev. Mr. Chase, is proving a successful
and useful school. It has at present three teachers —
two male and one female — and about eighty scholars.
All the branches usually taught in academies of this
class are taught here. The colored people have a good
school in Albany, conducted by capable teachers, and
attended by young colored persons of both sexes from
distant parts of the state. They have a handsome
school building, conspicuously located, which has been
built mainly by the contributions of colored people,
and the good management and complete success, thus
far, of their enterprise, are highly creditable. The
"district school," divided into an upper and lower
department — the former superintended by Mr. J. C.
Woodyard, and the latter by Miss Mary L. Kerr — is
also a well-managed and useful school. And, finally,
there is a good public school for colored children.

Albany also possesses an excellent public library,
called the "Wells library." It was founded by Mr.
Henry Wells, who, dying in i860, bequeathed one
thousand dollars for that purpose as a perpetual tund,
the interest to be expended in books, and the further
sum of two hundred and fifty dollars for an immediare
purchase. The monev was securely invested in 1861,



474 ^^^ Township.

by Mr. F. H. Moore, of Athens, whom Mr. Wells
made his trustee for this purpose, and about seven
hundred dollars worth of books have already been pur-
chased by Mr. Leonard Brown, the purchasing; com-
mittee. For some time the library was kept in a room
gratuitously furnished by the Free Masons of Albany,
but in March, 1868, Mrs. Mary Weethee, mother of
the founder of the library, bequeathed a frame building
to be used as a library room, provided the town should
keep it in repair and pay the taxes. The library, con-
sisting now of about four hundred volumes, is a settled
and very creditable institution. By the rules of the
library any family, living within the corporation, mav,
for one dollar a year, draw out two volumes at a time
for not more than four weeks, and the library is open
two hours every Thursday for members. An interest-
ing instance is thus afforded, of the great and perpetual
good that may be accomplished by a very small sum
well directed. Possibly the excellent example will
incite others to similar action, and so its usefulness
be indefinitely multiplied. Mr. Wells was a grandson
of Hiram Howlett, one of the early settlers of Lee.

The village of Albany is located on sections two and
three, and was laid out into lots bv William Graham,
in 1832 or 1833. The first house in the village was
built by Lucius R. Becklev, on the ground now owned
by Atkins &: Stanlv, and known as the old Brown
store. In 1840 John Brown purchased this property



History of Athens County^ Ohio. 475

and commenced selling goods here. Albany has a
population of about six hundred, with the usual
complement of business men and mechanics. The
Free Masons and Sons of Temperance have each a
hall in the village. No liquor is sold within the cor-
poration.

The town was incorporated in 1844. At the first
election for town officers John V. Brown was chosen
mayor, and J. M. Gorsline recorder. For a number
of years afterward there was no election, but since 1855
they have been held regularly.

Town Officers of Alhauy since 1865.

1855. — Mayor, Albert Vorhes ; Recorder, Henry Wells;
Treasurer, John Vorhes ; Councilmen, John Brown, J. \l.
Gorsline, Wm. Smith, Peter Morse, and David Sampson.

1856. — Mayor, Albert Vornes ; Recorder, John Brown ;
Treasurer, John Vorhes ; Councilmen, Wm. R. Collins, Peter
Morse, W. W. Kurtz, J. M. Gorsline, and P. McCann.

1857. — Mayor, A. Palmer ; Recorder, J. E. Rutledge ; Treas-
urer, John Vorhes ; Councilmen, H. L. Graham, David Samp-
son, John Dewing, Wm. C. Lindley, and John Slaughter.

1858. — Mayor, Almus Lindlev ; Recorder, J. E. Rutledge ;
Treasurer, H. L. Graham ; Councilmen, John Dewing, Wm.
C. Lindley, C. D. Lindlev, A. Vorhes, and Chandler Ros-
setter.

1859. — Mayor, W, B, Dicksen ; Recorder, J. E. Rutledge ;
Treasurer, H. L. Graham: Councilmen, ^V. C. Lindley, John
Slaughter, S. M. Preshaw, J. Q^ Mitchell, and Almus Lindley.

i860. — Mayor, S. -\L Preshaw; Recorder, W. A. Rigg ;
Treasurer, H. L. Graham ; Councilmen, Almus Lindlev, John
Q. Mitchell, John Brown. John Slaughter, and Albert Vorhes.



476 Lee Township.

1861. — Mavor, John Brown ; Recorder, Thomas D. Mc-
Grath ; Treasurer, Albert Vorhcs : Councilincn, A. D. Jaynes.
John Vorhes, C. L. Wilson, Wni. C. Lindlcy, and George
Rice.

1862. — Mayor, James AI. Gorsline ; Recorder, A. Palmer ;
Treasurer, A. D. Jaynes; Councilmen, John Brown, John
Dewing, Almus Lindlcy, John Vorhes, and Leonard Brown.

1863. — Mayor, James M. Gorsline; Recorder, A. Palmer;
Treasurer, A. D. Jaynes ; Councilmen, John Vorhes, John Q.
Mitchell, John Dewing, W. W. Kurtz, and T. D. Garvin.

1864. — Mayor, James M. Gorsline ; Recorder, Ira Graham ;
Treasurer, T. D. McGrath ; Councilmen, Leonard Brown,
John Vorhes, T. D, Garyin, John Dewing, and A. D. Jaynes.

1865. — Mayor, James M. Gorsline ; Recorder, Ira Graham ;
Treasurer, T. D. xMcGrath ; Councilmen, Leonard Brown, John
Vorhes, A. Palmer, John Dewing, and A. D. Jaynes.

1866. — Mayor, James M. Gorsline; Recorder, Daniel X.
Brown ; Treasurer, John Brown ; Councilmen, John Dev/ing,
A, Vorhes, Wm.C. Lindlev, Isaac Stanly, Jun., and A. Palmer,

1867. — Mayor, James M. Gorsline ; Recorder, Daniel N.
Brown ; Treasurer, James D. Brown ; Councilmen, Wm. C.
Lindley, Isaac Stanley, Jun., A. Vorhes, Leonard Brown, and
James McClure.

1868. — Mayor, James M. Gorsline : Recorder, Albert Law-
son ; Treasurer, James D. Brown : Councilmen, Wm. C.
Lindley, James McClure, Leonard Brown, A. Vorhes, and U'.
W. Blake.

Township Trustees.

1820 Jacob Lentner, James McGonnegil, Ephraim Martin.

i8it Francis Thomas, " Elisha Chapman.

iSii Ephraim Martin, '• Daniel Rowell.

1823 Joseph Wallace, Francis Thomas, William Brown.

1824-27 Ephraim Martin, " James .\IcG0nne5al.

1X28 Samuel Martin, '• •'

1829-30 James Magee, George Reeves, .McCow»n Bean.

1831 Wm. Graham, Wm. Thompson. "

1832 Joseph Martin, " John Havener.



History of Athens County^ Ohio.



Trustees — Continued.



^11



1833-


-35


Wm. Graham,


1836




Joseph Post,


1837-


-40


Wm. Gr.iham,


I84I-


-42


John T. Winn,


1843-


-44


Wm. Graham,


184^


-46


F. E. Clark,


1847







1848




<<


1849




Andrew Means


1850




F. E. Clark,


1851




"


1852




James Holmes,


1853-


-54


«


1S55




<(


1856




i(


1857




C(


1858




((


1859




(t


i860




i<


I86I




It


1862-


63


((


1864




«


1865




<l


1866-


67


Lemuel Cline,


1868




Albert Vorhes,



Jamea McGonnegal.
Wm Thompson,
.Michael Canney,
Joseph Post,
Wm. Henderson.

A. G. Henderson,
Travis Wilson,
John Brown,
John Dewing,

D. M. Ross,
Leonard Brown,

B. Goodrich,
A. Enlow,
Samuel Shustcr,
Jacob McVey,
James Clements,



W. W. Kurtz,
A. Wilson,
A. Jennings,
A. Wilson,
Wm. C. Lindley,
Jacob McVey,



foicph Martin.
N'imrod Oailey.

u

Jacob Lentner.
<<

Jamej Greathous
<<

George Holdren.

A. W. Brown.
D. M. Ro's,
John T. Winn.



Benjamin Rickev.
A. W. Brown.



Robert Dickson.



Jitstices of the Peace.
1820 — Isaac Baker.
1822 — Abner C. Martin.
1823 — Isaac Baker.
1824 — Joseph Wallace.

1825 — McCowen Bean, Michael Canney, James McGee.
1828 — Jacob Lentner.

1 831 — McCowen Bean and Abner C. Martin.
1832 — Jacob Lentner.
1834— Abner C. Martin.
1835 — Jacob Lentner.
1837 — Abner C. Martin.
1838 — John Dickson.
1839 — Lucius Becklev.
1840 — Abraham Enlow.
1 84 1 — A. Warner.
1842— John T. Winn.



478 Lee Township.

Justices of the Peace — Continued.

1843 — George Means and F"rancis E. Clark.

1844 — Edmund Morse.

1845 — A. G. Henderson and Peter Morse.

1846 — Francis E. Clark.

1847 — George Holdren.

1849 — D- ^^' Rf^ss and Francis E. Clark.

1850 — Joseph Post.

1852 — James Clements and Francis E. Clark.

1853 — Joseph Post.

1854 — George Johnson.

1855 — James Clements, John Brown and Jacob McVej'.

1856 — Harvey L. Graham.

1858 — James Clements and Jacob McV^ey.

1859 — Harvey L. Graham.

i860 — Peter Morse.

1861 — E. R. Cooper.

1862 — James M. Gorsline.

1864 — E. R. Cooper.

1865 — James M. Gorsline.

1867 — John Q^ Mitchell and Isaac Friedlein.

1868 — Abraham Enlow.

Biographical arid Personal.

John Holdren^ now living in Lee township, was born
in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, October i ;;, 1777, and
came to Athens county in 1798 accompanied bv another
young man named John Kortker. Soon after reaching
Athens they took up land in the south part of Alexan-
der township and made a temporary settlement on the
waters of Margaret's creek. Their neicjhbors, at inter-
vals of several miles, were the Hanings, the Brooks
family, Joseph Long, Esquire Merritt, and Henry



History of Athens County y Ohio. 47^

Cassel. Mr. Cassel built a grist mill soon afterward in
Lee township on the place now owned by William
Minear. Mr. Holdren was engaged during six or
seven years working at the Scioto salt works at the site
of the present town of Jackson, and " could then cut
his six cords of wood in a day and help load it." He
went out there the second year after salt was discovered
by the whites. Previous to this the Indians had pro-
duced scanty supplies of salt by drilling holes into the
rocks fifteen or eighteen inches deep, when the cavity
would gradually fill up with the brinish water which,
evaporated by the heat of the sun, would produce salt.
The whites bored wells to some depth, built furnaces,
and for many years furnished salt for the surrounding
settlements to the distance of seventy-five or eighty
miles. Mr. Holdren settled permanently in Lee town-
ship in 1820. His nearest neighbors were James
McGonnegal, Israel Bobo, and George Canney, and
soon afterward came David Doughty, James Luckey,
Thomas Jones, John Havner, John and Ephraim
Martin, Daniel Knowlton, Jacob Lentner, and the
Robinetts. When a young man Mr. Holdren was a
successful hunter. He and John Jones (a brother-in-
law of Judge Isaac Barker), killed forty-six bears in six
weeks* hunting on the headwaters of Sunday, Monday,
and Rush creeks. They sometimes killed in a fall sea-
son forty to fifty deer for their winter's stock of pro-
visions and turkeys beyond count. Mr. Holdren once



480 Lee Township.

killed four de-.r in one day, and he and two of his bovs
in a hunt of two weeks killed thirty. On one hunting
expedition, having shot and wounded a large black bear,
his dog ran in to seize the animal, but bruin, though
hurt, was full of life, and was making quick work of
the dog when Holdren rushed in, knife in hand, to
finish him. The bear released the dog and sprang on
the man, at the first dash tearing his large blanket
entirely from his body ; Holdren plunged his knife
hilt deep into the animal and then turned to run. He
made his escape, but says it was the narrowest he ever
had. The bear got away. At that time the skins of
bears brought from three to five dollars each, and o^ood
hunters often made it profitable. Mr. Holdren served
in the war of 18 12. Among those who entered the
army at that time he remembers Barnet Brice, John
Wood, Reuben Reeves, David Vaughn, Ira Foster,
Joel Stroud, Jehiel Gregory, Nehemiah Gregory, and
William McNichol. Mr. Holdren is the oldest person
in the county, being now ninety-one years old. He
and his aged wife live with a married daughter on a
comfortable farm about two miles from Albanv, and
the old man, aided by a statF in each hand, sometimes
walks to the villacre.



History of Athens County y Ohio. 48 1



CHAPTER XV.
Lodi Township.

THIS township was originally a part of Alexander.
The eastern half of Lodi was included in Carthage
when that township was organized in 1819, and was not
detached till 1826. Lodi was separately organized in
April of that year, and, according to the records, only
fourteen votes were cast at the first township election
held in the spring of 1827. The population of the
township in 1830 was 276; in 1840 it was 754; in
1850 it was 1,336; in i860 it was 1,598. Joseph
Thompson was one of the earliest settlers in Lodi.
He lived on the farm now owned by Cyrus Blazer, and
built the first flouring mill about 181 5. Some of his
descendants still reside here. Before he built his mill
(which has long since disappeared), the inhabitants of
this region used to get their millins: done at Coolville,
more than fifteen miles off. The second mill was built
in 1825 by Ezra Miller ; it was very small and has also
disappeared. At present there is an excellent steam
flouring mill in the township of ample capacity. The



482 Lodi Township.

first religious society formed in Lodi was by the Meth-
odists in 1820 under the supervision of the Kev, God-
dard Curtis. They worshiped for many years in a
small school house on Shade river. At present the
Methodists have a flourishing society that worships in
'* Morse chapel," an excellent frame church buildin^r,
and another large class meet in what is called " Cre-
mer's" or Wesley Chapel. The Cumberland Presby-
terians organized a society here about 1S43 an(S built a
good frame church, but it was destroyed by fire soon
afterward. About 1840 the Christians (or Campbell-
ites) formed a society and built a church which, soon
after its completion, was demolished by a large forest
tree falling on it. They have recently erected a good
frame building in the township. There is a very cred-
itable school at Pleasant Valley (Shade post office), in
the township, called the " Pleasant Valley seminary."
The building, a two-story frame forty by thirty feet,
with a cupola and bell, was erected in 1867 by the
voluntary contributions of the citizens. It cost vf2,cco
— Mr. Joseph Cremer's donation of -8500 was the
largest individual subscription. The school opened in
December, 1867, under the superintendence of Mr.
Daniel D. Clark, a graduate of the Ohio university,
who is still the teacher. The trustees are Dr. E. M.
Bean, Cyrus Blazer, Asbury Cremer, John Buck,
William Angell, John Burson, and W. S. Williams.
The school promises to be one of permanent usefulness.



History of Athens County^ Ohio.



4«3



Township Trustees.



1817-


28


Joseph Thompson,


Elam Frost,


John L. Kelly.


1829




«


Rufus P. Cooley,


((


1830
I83I




Francis B. Drake,


Thomas Miles,


Abncr Fro;t.




Joseph Thompson,


Elam Frost,


John L. Kellv.


1832
1833




<(


Thomas Miles,


A. M. Wjlliams.




John Bodwcll,


Francis B. Drake,


Abner Frost.


1834




Luther Dinsmorc,


John L. Kelly,


J. B. Force.


183s
1836




<(


<<


G. H. Cooley.




Charles Brown,


"


John Carlton,


IS37




Simvie! Day,


George Eaton,


Cyrus 0. McGra-.h.


1838




Joseph Bobp,


John Carlton,


David Whaley.


1839




Calvin P. Dains,


Ezra H. Miller,


Rufus P, Cooley.


1840




Samuel Day,


Wakeman Hull,


«


1841




i<


Julius Stone,


George Blazer.


IS42




<<


Jehu Acley,


Churchill Cree:ey.


1S43




Wakeman Hull,


«


«


1844




John Cather,


((


n


1845




Joseph Crcmer,


John L. Kelly,


John Whittir.gtcn.


1846




James G. Roberts,


Wakeman Hull,


«



Online LibraryCharles M. (Charles Manning) WalkerHistory of Athens County, Ohio : and, incidentally, of the Ohio Land Company and the first settlement of the state at Marietta, with personal and biographical sketches of the early settlers, narratives of pioneer adventures, etc. → online text (page 31 of 39)