Charles Richard Tuttle De Witt Clinton Goodrich.

An illustrated history of the state of Indiana: being a full and authentic ... online

. (page 26 of 59)
Online LibraryCharles Richard Tuttle De Witt Clinton GoodrichAn illustrated history of the state of Indiana: being a full and authentic ... → online text (page 26 of 59)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


measure, that onr oonntry lias been settled and cities founded.
In 1820 *n act was passed by the Ohio legislature, appointing
three commissioners to locate a route for a canal between Lake
Erie and the Ohio river, but it was not until 1824 that a
survey was made of what is now tho Wabash and Erie OanaL
The members of Congress from Indiana then procured a
survey of the canal by a corps of United States topographical
engineers. This survey was commenced at Fort Wayne, about
June, 1826, and at its completion, Congress passed an act,
granting to the State of Indiana one-half of five miles in
width of the public lands on each side of the proposed canal,
from Lake Erie to the navigable waters of the Wabash river.
This grant amounted to three thousand two hundred acres per
mile. It was accepted by the State legislature, during its
session of 1827-28, and Samuel Hsnna, David Barr, and
Bobert Johns, were appointed a Board of Commissioners.
This grant was the first of any importance made by Congress
for the furtherance of any public works, and may be considered
the inception of the policy afterwards adopted, of granting so
much of the public domain for public improvements. In 1828
the State granted to Ohio all the land which had been granted
for canal purposes in that State, upon the condition that they
would, in consideration therefor, construct the works through
their territory. In 1848 the canal was opened for navigation,
and two years afterwards the Miami extension was completed,
thus perfecting a continuous line of canal between Haumee
bay and the Ohio river at Cincinnati. The Mahon Brothers
commenced running two small packets between Toledo and
Fort Wayne, in 1848, but not with any regularity, and it was
not until the summer of 1844 that a line making regular trips
was established. Samuel Doyle and William Dickey, of
Dayton, Ohio, were the pioneers in this enterprise, running
ten boats and one steam propeller between Toledo and Lafay-
ette, and Toledo and Cincinnati. In 1846, the act known as
the " Butler Bill " was passed "by the legislature, by which the
canal was transferred to three trustees, two of whom were
24



Digitized by



Google



1T0 JUUOEl QT TMUAMA.



appointed by the bondholder*, Hie remaining ooe by the State.

Pubuo Buxldosqs. — The County Ooori House and County
Jail, both located at Fort Wayne, axe substantial buildings,
well adapted to the purposes fought There i* yet no commo-
dious city hall, nor it any needed at the pre s ent day, that
would impoee a heary tax upon the city. The building in
which the headquarters of the fire department are located, is
well suited to that oraneh of the municipality. Further
remarki on the present condition and fbtore prospects of Fort
Wayne, financially and commercially, are noticed in another
part of this work, under the department of the a Greet Indus-
tries of Indiana." See Index to Biographies to find interesting
biographical ske t ch e s of pioneers and prominent man of Allen
county.

The leading newspapers published in Fort Wayne are the
0asM4 and Smtind, both well conducted and influential
journals.



OHAPTEE XLVI.
huhtdtotoh court — hmtobkul jjbtd dbsobxfotx.

LEAVING- Allen county by the route mentioned in the
foregoing chapter, we soon reach Huntington county, now
rich in agriculture and commerce, and minerals, but once a
dense forest The county was named in honor of Samuel
Huntington, a delegate in the Continental Congress from Con-
necticut, and one of the signers of the Declaration of Inde-
pendence. A small portion of the county is hilly, but for the
most part it is level, or only sufficiently undulating to consti-
tute a natural drain. Ihe soil is a mixture of sand and day,
is Yury deep and fertile, and well adapted to all the products
indigenous to the climate and country. At an early day the



Digitized by



Google



Hm rmwro ar oouwtt. 871

eounty was heavily timbered throughout, with the exception
of a few small prairies.

The first settlement, as near as we can learn, was made in
Huntington county in 1829. Messrs. Artimedee Woodworth
and Elias Murray were the first settlers. They came in 1829.
Mr. "Woodward settled north of Silver creek, on the Wabash.
Here he built a log house and began pioneer life in earnest
Mr. Murray settled a mile eaat on the opposite side of the
river, where he also built a cabin. In 1832-8, a settlement
was made on the Salamony river, near the present town of
Warren. Samuel Jones erected a log house at this place in
1888, and moved into it with his family in September of the
same year. James Morrison settled at the same place about
the same time, and in the following winter Lewis Furvianoe,
Lewis Richards, and George Helm, located with them.

The first settlers of the present prosperous city of Hunting-
ton were 0. and J. Hdvey, who came from the White river
section, originally from Clinton county, Ohio, to Huntington,
in 1880, with their sisters. They built a hewed log tavern,
which is known in history as the " Flint Springs HoteL" It
remained a tavern until 1857, and was for a long time a favor-
ite stopping place on the old "Fort Wayne and Lafayette
trace." A few now living in Huntington county remember
this trace. It was nearly the same pathway over which the
bold Robert de La Salle traveled with his military escort in
1680, and the same trace upon which many a zealous French
priest journeyed alone, before Americans explored the head
waten of the Wabash.

There was another log tavern erected near the cabin of Mr.
Woodworth in 1883, but that region remained unsettled until
1847. Clear creek, two and a half miles north from Hunting-
ton, was first settled by Michael Doyle, in 1884. In that year
he erected the pioneer log cabin of that section, and moved into
it with his family.

The Helveys, who first settled at Huntington, sold their
lands to General Tipton and Captain Murray, soon after they
were located, and the latter gentlemen laid out the town in
1882. Mr. Murray moved to Huntington to reside, with hi*



Digitized by



Google



379 hbtobt or nroiAHA,

family, about one year previous. The Wabash and Erie Osnal
was oommenoed in 1882, which may be regarded as the imme-
diate cause that led to the settlement of Huntington. The
work on this important State internal improvement prospered,
and the new town of Huntington shared in the prosperity.
In 1886 the permanent population of Huntington was probably
two hundred and fifty, although previous to that time gangs
of canal men frequently visited the place, swelling its. popula-
tion temporarily to four and five hundred.

Huntington county was organised in 1884, previous to*
which it formed a part of Grant county. The first county)
election was held in the fall of 1884, as also the first court
The latter was held in the well known " Flint Springs Hotel"
From this the court was'soon after taken to the school house,
which shows that Huntington, now so justly celebrated foi
her excellent schools, began the good work of education in hei
youth.

The first school teacher in Huntington was a Mr. Sergant
They called him a " down east Yankee," but he had consider-
able influence, probably because he was the son of a Presby-
terian clergyman. He " boarded round," and being a little on
the particular order, it is not a wonder that the old settlers of
Huntington tell some funny stories of his experience of this
phase of his residence in their town. It is very probable,
however, that he had enough to contend with, both in the
school room and in society. But we shall not tax the reader
with every step in the growth of Huntington county. Such
was its social and political beginning. Let us look at results-
its present condition.

The Huntington of to-day has a population of three thousand
five hundred, and is surrounded by well settled, well cultivated
agricultural lands, in every direction. It is the county seat,
and a smart, thriving city . The streets have been admirably
laid off, and the general appearance of the buildings favors the
substantial. The new court house is a fine building, located
in the center of a spacious square enclosed by a substantial
iron fence. The churches are, for the most part, fine build-
ings, erected in a modern style of architecture, and present



Digitized by



Google



ffxnraHOTOjr oomrrr. 878

striking evidence of the high moral taste of the people. The
city schools are, at present, in a flourishing condition. For
many years they lagged for want of the proper management,
but within the last few years a splendid three story brick
building has been erected, in which the city graded schools
are now located, excellent teachers are provided, and the public
schools of Huntington to-day are a credit to the State.

There is probably no other city in Indiana of equal popula-
tion that can boast as much success in manufacturing as
Huntington. The manufacture from wood has increased until
the city is now supplying many of the towns in northern
Indiana with staves, headings, plow handles, etc In this
particular industry Huntington possesses many advantages.
Wood of nearly all kinds exists in large quantities in many
parts of the county. Labor is cheap, and the surrounding
country affords an ample and remunerative market However,
the manufacture of lime is perhaps the largest industrial
interest of Huntington. During the present year there were
over thirty kilns in successful operation, employing a capital
of over one hundred thousand dollars, and giving employment .
so an army of men either in immediate connection with the
xilns or in chopping wood to supply them with fuel. Over
ten thousand cords of wood were consumed during the year
just closed, for which over twenty-five thousand dollars have
been disbursed throughout the county. The product of the
Huntington lime kilns is unsurpassed in quality. u Hunting-
ton white Hxne," has become a favorite brand in the northwest,
and is sought after even to the foil extent of the supply. The
lime business of Huntington shows a steady and healthy
increase, and is capable of great extension. The total product
in 1874 was over four hundred thousand bushels.

Huntington county is rich in agricultural wealth, and most
of the farmers have become wealthy. Old-time log houses
have, for the most part, disappeared, and new and elegant
rural residences are scattered over the entire county. Villages
have sprung up, and in every quarter there are indications of
thrift and prosperity. With the increase of wealth have come
all the other desirable acquisitions. Education, once so sadly



Digitized by



Google



ST4

neglected in the county, has now its foil share of attention,
and the youths are as fur advanced in the usual oourse of study
as in any other rural section of the State.



CHAPTER ILVII.

QAM OOmXTT — HBTOBTOiL 4HD liJMJttlPTlVJ .

PASSING over Wabash and Miami counties, for the pres-
ent, to will take up Cass county. This jump in our
route is made necessary by the absence of data, at this writing,
for the complete history of those counties, ss well as by the
feet that the settlement of Oass county is of earlier date.*

Case county was organized on the thirteenth of April, 1829:

previous to which it was under the jurisdiction of OarroD

. county, being originally, however, under the jurisdiction of

Tippecanoe county. Previous to its existence as Case county,

it was known as Eel township, in Carroll county.

a The mouth of Eel," which, in early times, acquired con-
siderable notoriety as the point where the main line of travel
crossed the Wabash, is the point where the first settlement
was made in Oass county. As early as the fell of 1824,f Ed-
ward McCartney came down from Fort Wayne, under the
auspices of a company of " fur-traders " located there, with
head-quarters at Detroit, and erected a small trading-house on
the north side of the Wabash, a little below the "mouth of
Eel," which was, perhaps, the first house built for the occu-
pancy of a white man within the present limits of Cass county.
A year and a half later, about August, 1826, Alexander Cham-
berlain, a native of Kinderhook, New York, but more recently
from the vicinity of Fort Harrison, in Vigo county, Indiana,
hrought his family and settled on the south side of the Wabash,

+ See Inctac to find sketches of Wabaah andMlami oountlea
f From MB. fbrni*hed toy T. B. Helm, of Loganspott



Digitized by



Google



CASS 00UMTT — HISTDMTOAT. AMD D1SOUTT1VJL 875

jast opposite the mouth of Eel river. Here, with the assist-
ance of his neighbors from the "Deer Greek settlements,' 1
more thin twenty miles down the river, he built the first res-
idenoe, sleo used as a " hotel," (a double hewed-log cabin, two
stories high,) in the county.

About the same time, William Newman settled with his
family and built a cabin, also situated on the south bank of
the Wabash, and three miles below Chamberlain's. The same
season, James Burah made a settlement less than one mile
below the former, and on the same side of the river, on what
is since known ss the Simons 1 farm. These two last remained
bat a short time, selling out their claims and returning to
older settlements.

Mr. Chamberlain, after selling out his first residence to
General Upton, who lived there afterward and established the
Indian Agency formerly at Fort Wayne, built another house,
a little further down, where he lived and "kept tavern " until
the year 1835, when he moved to Rochester, in Fulton county,
and died there a few years since.

On the twenty-seventh day of March, 1827, Major Daniel
Bell, a son-in-law of Captain Spear Spencer, who was killed
in • the battle of Tippecanoe, and brother-in-law of Genera}
John Tipton, erossod the Wabash river and built his cabin,
the first one built between the rivers, within the present limits
of the city of Logansport It was situated just south of the
canal, and a few feet west of Berkley street He lived there
until sometime in the spring of 1880, removing thence to a
claim, subsequently purchased, a little way north of Eel river,
in what is now Clay township.

Not long after the settlement of Major Bell, Hugh B.
MeKeen, an Indian trader, from Fort Wayne, erected a tra-
ding-house and doxnicQ on the banks of the Wabash, a few
rods above the mouth of Eel river, near where McEeen street,
in the city of Logansport, strikes the Wabash river.

In the fall of the same year, Joseph Barron, an interpreter
of considerable celebrity, with his family, moved also from
Fort Wayne, and settled on the reservation granted to Ids
children by the treaty of October 16, 1896, below the mouth



Digitized by



Google



876 HBioxr or mnii.

of Eel river, redding temporarily in the home before built
and occupied by Edward McCartney as a trading-house, until
the completion of hie own house, a half mile above.

Beside those named, there were numerous other settlers who
came shortly after, adding rapidly to the population from time
to time, so that, by the spring following, the inhabitants num-
bered about one hundred souls.

By the treaty with the Pottawatomiee, at the mouth of the
Ifississinaway, in October, 1836, one section of land, " at the
Mis of Eel river,' 1 was reserved to George Oicott, which, hav-
ing been surveyed in the month of July following, negotiations
were at once entered into between McKeen, Ohaunoey Garter
and General Tipton, for the purpose of acquiring an interest
in, if not the entire control, of the Oicott grant. Mr. Carter
succeeded in obtaining the control, and, on the tenth day of
April, 1828, laid out the original plat of Logansport, between
the Wabash and Eel rivers, just above their junction.

On the eighteenth of December, 1838, the legislative act
authorizing the organization of Cast county, was approved by
the governor, to take effect from and after Monday, April 18,
1829. Accordingly, on that day, an election was held by the
qualified voters of the county, under proclamation from the
governor, and the following officers chosen, as prescribed by
said act, to wit: Ohauncey Carter, James Smith and Moses
Thorpe, Comity Commissioners; John B. Durst, Clerk and
Recorder; James H. Kintner, Sheriff; John Smith, Senior,
and Hiram Todd, Associate Judges; Job B. Eldridge and
Peter Johnson, Justices of the Peace. For the purpose of
conducting this election and carrying the enabling act into
effect, William Scott had been previously appointed by the
governor, special sheriff, to serve as such until his successor
was elected and qualified.

By the supplemental act of January 19, 1829, the territory
included within the present limits of Fulton, Kosciusko,
Miami, Wabash, Marshall, Elkhart, St Joseph, with portions
of La Porte, Pulaski and Starke counties, was attached to
Oass county, for civil and criminal jurisdiction.

The first session of the Board of Commissioners was held



Digitized by



Google



oass ooxnrrr — hbiobioal urn dbobiptits. 8T7



on the first day of May, James Smith and Moees Thorpe,
Commissioners, with William Scott, Sheriff, being present
Ax this session, Oass county and the territory under its juris-
diction, were sub-divided into Ed township, embracing " all
that part of Oass county lying south of the Tippecanoe and
west of the west boundary of the five-mile reservation";
Wabash township embracing all that part of the territory
attached, " south of Eel river," and east of the eastern boun-
dary of Eel township, and St. Joseph's township, embracing
all that part of the attached territory "lying north of the
Tippecanoe river, to the north line of the State."

On Thursday, May 21, 1829, the Oass dircuit court held
its first session in the old seminary building, occupying only
one day, Hon. Bethnel F. Morris, Judge of the Fifth Judicial
Circuit of the State, presiding, with Hiram Todd and John
Smith Associate Judges, William Scott, Sheriff, and John B.
Buret, Clerk.

A seal for said court was adopted on the same day, the
device of which commemorates the agreement of Aub-bee-
naub-bee, a principal chief of the Pottawatomies, and General
Lewis Oass, one of the commissioners on the part of the
United States to the terms of the treaty of October 16, 1826,
by which the major part of the territory within the bounda-
ries of Oass county came into the possession of the United
(States — " An Indian and a white man joining hands."

Henry Bistine, Erasmus Powell and Harris Tyner, appointed
by the act of organization, Commissioners to locate the seat of
justice of Oass county, by their report dated August 12, 1829,
submitted to the Board of County Commissioners, then in
session, selected Logakbpobt, in consideration of certain dona-
tions made by Mr. Carter, the proprietor.

The settlements in the outer townships, Miami in the east,
Clay, Noble and Jefferson immediately north of the Wabash
and Ed rivers, Boone, Harrison, Bethlehem and Adams on
the extreme north, Clinton, Washington and Tipton south of
the river, with Deer Creek and Jackson on the extreme south,
as the public lands came into market from time to time, were
filled up rapidly with an enterprising population. The last



Digitized by



Google



878 hxstoxt or mxAVi.

settlements were in the lower townships, that part haying been
surveyed in the winter and spring of 1846-7, came into market
immediately after, though prior to that time and subsequent
to the treaty of 1848, many settlements were made by pre-
emption.

For several years succeeding the year 1839, the growth of
town and country kept nearly even pace in the progress of
settlements and improvements, reaching, perhaps, the year
1886, when the country having fallen behind in the race, as
a consequence, the trade being yet chiefly of a local character
the town came nearly to a stand still, while the country moved
steadily forward, producing, ere long, a large excess over the
demands of home trade, for transportation to other localities.
The completion of the canal to this point, in the fall of 1887,
opened an avenue to trade with other points of commercial
importance, which advantages the people were not slow to
improve. The improvement of the Michigan road, also, from
the ftll of 1828 to 1884-5, tended to the development of
resources scarcely known to exist before. The canal having
been completed from Toledo to the lower Wabash, was about
the only means of shipment of surplus products until 1852-8,
and from that time forward, when the Richmond and New
Oastle, and the Lake Erie, Wabash and St Louis Railroad
that began to be operated about that time with telling effect
upon the producing interests of the county, adding greatly to
the wealth and prosperity of our citizens. Since that time
other roads of equal importance traverse the county in various
directions.

Beside Logansport, other smaller towns have sprung up, of
greater or less importance, in different parts of the county;
among these, Galveston, Walton, Royal Center, New Waverly
are of most consequence, embracing a population of from
three hundred to five hundred each in their own localities, car-
rying on a substantial tradet

There are now published in the county, all of them in
Logansport, the Logansport Pharos, daily and weekly; the
Logansport Journal, weekly; Logansport Star, daily and
weekly, and the Sun, weekly.



Digitized by



Google



OA08 OOTOIT — HOTOBKUL AJ3TD CTS UttlPllVJ S. 879

And now, more particularly of the present city of Logans-
port The seat of justice of Qass county, as originally laid
out, was a small, unpretentious plat, in the shape of a right
angled triangle, its base, along the margin of the Wabash,
being of the length of five, and its perpendicular of four
squares, embracing one hundred and eleven lots and fractions.
These lots contained an area of fifty square rods, and such of
them as occupied a position on the corner of a square were
offered and sold for seventy-five dollars, the others for fifty
dollars. Some of the lots were sold on condition that the
purchaser should erect thereon, within a prescribed time, a
house not less than eighteen by twenty feet, and one story
high. It was laid out on the tenth day of April, 1828, and
the plat recorded in Carroll county, in which jurisdiction it
then was. In connection with the name, the following inci-
dent is related: While the survey was in process of comple-
tion, the name of the new town site became the subject of
conversation between Mr. Garter, the proprietor, General Tip-
ton, Hugh B. McKoen, Colonel John B. Duret, and others
present General Tipton suggested a Latin compound, sig-
nifying " the mouth of Eel," of historic fame, or otherwise,
commemorative of the location above the junction of the two
rivers known as the " Ouabache and Eel" rivers. Another
submitted an Indian name by which the locality had before
been known. Then Mr. McKeon, who had formerly resided
on the Maumee, in the vicinity where Captain Logan, the
Shawanoe chief, a nephew of Tecmnseh, who lost his life while
attesting his fidelity to the white people, in the month of
November, 1812, proposed that his memory be perpetuated in
the name of the new town. Colonel Duret agreed with
the idea, and thought Logan's port would be appropriate.
These differences of opinion were then submitted to the arbi-
trament of " shooting at a mark," an exercise common in
those days. The several names proposed were "shot for,"
and that having " four best out of seven," should have it
The exercise was finally brought to a close by the declaration
that Colonel Duret had "won." Hence, the name as now
known — " Locmji's-Poxt."



Digitized by



Google



880 HISTOBY OF USmtLBA.

By the action of the commissioners appointed far the pur-
pose, Logansport was selected as the seat of justice of Oase
county, on the twelfth day of August, 1829.

At the time it was laid out, and for several years succeed-
ing, its importance was chiefly recognised in the light of a
central "trading post" for a large extent of Indian territory
surrounding, and as such it acquired a well merited fame.
The consequence was that as soon as the sources of trade
began to diminish, the producing population outside the
town being inadequate to meet the demands of consumption,
and the growth of the town was retarded for several years
subsequent to 1886-7, indeed, until the country products
equalled, overbalanced the consumption account of the non-
producers in town, and the avenues of trade were opened
between this and other more commanding markets.

The increase in population and business facilities was steady
for many years succeeding the depression of trade in 1887-8,



Online LibraryCharles Richard Tuttle De Witt Clinton GoodrichAn illustrated history of the state of Indiana: being a full and authentic ... → online text (page 26 of 59)