< <. t r c <
< < < <
< < ' < f f f
' ' f < r <
< < c
< <, C
. c <;
. < .
< C t c 4
<< < < <
<c < c <
jv.. s c
* <; ' f <"
' " "C" -C c
<J- C ' -
C C i
'i < C C r-
*- C" <" c r
: C'C CC
rc c c
< rc :
' r r c <-
c ^< ( <c
f r r r
NATIONAL WALLACE MONUMENT
ABBEY CRAIU. STIRMTCe.
EEV. CHAKLES ROGERS, LL.D., F.S.A. SCOT.,
HISTORIOGRAPHER TO THE ROYAL HISTORICAL SOCIETY.
PUBLISHED FOR THE GRAMPIAN CLUB.
CHARLES GRIFFIN AND CO.,
STATIONERS' HALL COURT.
" Lives of great men all remind us
We can make our lives sublime,
And departing, leave behind us
Footprints on the sands of time."
" Yet e'en these bones from insult to protect,
Some frail memorial still erected nigh,
With uncouth rhymes and shapeless sculptures decked,
Implores the passing tribute of a sigh."
PBEFACE TO VOL. II.
IN completing the second volume of this work, the
author closes a task which has upwards of eleven years
occupied his attention. Reviewing his performance, he
could have wished that his labours had been more fruitful,
and that the work had presented the monumental records
of every Scottish parish. As it is, the omissions are
not very numerous ; while a necrological register has been
produced ampler than any existing heretofore.
When the author entered upon his undertaking, he
sought to awaken public attention to the degraded .con-
dition of country churchyards. As local reporters were
generally reluctant to compromise parochial honour, he
was led to abandon this part of his enterprise, not
however before collecting some strange facts. Of these
a few may be related. At New Machar, Aberdeen-
shire, the peasantry obtain their winter fuel by storing
up portions of decayed coffins from the churchyard.
During the summer of 1862 the parish schoolmaster of
Ellon was obliged to cease teaching, owing to his school-
room which adjoined the churchyard, being saturated
with the exhalations of mortality. In the churchyard of
Gamrie, overlooking the Moray Frith, bones, fragments
of coffins, and portions of gravestones are strewn about.
The parochial sextons of Lewis and North Uist per-
form interments within six inches of the surface, the
coffins after a heavy shower being frequently exposed.
The churchyard of Sandwich, in Orkney, is part of
an undrained marsh, and at interments coffins are
plunged into the water which fills every new-made
grave. These facts require no comment.
Additional to those to whom he formerly expressed
his obligations, the author cannot deny himself the satis-
faction of mentioning the considerable assistance he has
received from, papers on the graveyards of the north
eastern counties prepared by Mr. Jervise. The author
learns with pleasure that Mr. Jervise contemplates a
separate publication. His work should have a place in
the library of every Scottish archaeologist.
DUNOON AND KlLMUN
LlSMORE AND APPIN .
BON HILL .
AN STRUTHER-E ASTER .
PlN PERM LINK .
KlNGHORN . .'
KIN FAUNS .
PORT OF MENTKITH
K IX ROSS-SHIRE.
A I ( -IITERARDEK .
BRECHIX . . .
. 27 2-
EASSIE AND NEVAY .
KlNNETTLES . ' .
ST. CYRUS .
LETHNOT AND NAVAR
LIFF AND BENVIE
LlNTRATHEN . .
LUNDIE AND FOWLIS .
MAINS AND STRATHMARTIN . 248
CHAPEL OF GARIOCH .
CRATHIE AND BRAEMAR
ELLON . .
FYVIE . .
GLENMDICK, TULLICH AND
BELLIE, OR FOCHABERS
DALLAS . . . ' .
KEITH-HALL AND KINKELL .
KINCARDINE O'NEIL .
DYKE AND MOY
KINO EDWARD .
ROTHES . .
ST. ANDREWS, LHANBRYDE
OLD MACHAR .
HARRIS . .
URQUHART AND GLEN-
ROSS AND CROMARTY.
KINCARDINE . .
THE DEAN CEMETERY
MONUMENTAL INSCRIPTIONS IN SCOTLAND,
PARISH OF CUMBEAY.
IN Milport churchyard, Isle of Cumbray, the gravestone of the
Eev. James Adam, minister of the parish, is inscribed thus :
" Fideles moralis et inuuptus
Sine natis, sine curis,
Vixit, obit et surget.
" Tho' here on a damp cold bed he lies,
Without a friend to close his eyes ;
Wrapt in his usual unsocial pride,
Indifferent to all the world beside.
" Sed quid sunt est vel erit
Magnus dies declarabit."
Mr. Adam was some time a bookseller in Glasgow. He was
ordained minister of Cumbray in 1799, and died unmarried 25th
June, 1831, in his eighty-third year. Among other donations for
charitable purposes he bequeathed 1,100 to establish three
bursaries or exhibitions in connection with the University o
VOL. II. B
In Milport Churchyard James Wood has engraved on his father's
tombstone these lines :
" All you that walk among the tombs,
Above the silent clay,
Consider how you've spent your time,
To fit you for this way.
That mortal man returns to dust,
Experience lets us see,
The high, the low, the rich, the poor,
Must lie as low as me."
John McHaffie has thus celebrated his departed wife :
" Farewell, my Helen dear ! thy heavenly mind,
Happy in life, was yet in death resign'd.
Upright, sincere, and in thy sphere of life,
A kind and faithful daughter, sister, wife,
In youth and hope cut down, thy tomb aloud
Proclaims, ' Prepare thee for an early shroud.' "
In these lines James Forty commemorates his infant son :
"CHRIST'S VOICE IN THE CLOUDS.
" Awake, you breathless little ones,
And meet your Saviour when he comes;
Though for a time you do sleep here,
With Christ your Shepherd you'll appear,
And follow him to Immanuel's land,
With palms of victory in your hand.
Oh ! glorious sight for to be seen,
Those lovely babes following their King ! "
PARISH OF KILBEIDE.
Near the entrance of the churchyard is a horizontal slab, sculp-
tuied with a floral cross and two-handed sword. No history or
tradition is associated with it. An adjacent stone representing
the figure of a kilted Highlander, with a sword by his side, is
believed to commemorate two petty landowners, Walter Fion and
PARISH OF ROTHESAY. 3
Duncan Tait, who, through the misrepresentation of a worthless
person named McNish, were led to engage in mortal combat.
Both fell, and were buried in the same grave.
The Fullertons, of Kilmichael, inter in this churchyard. John
Fullerton, who died in 1784, has these lines upon his tombstone:
" This was the man who, free from toil and strife,
In his own ground did pass his peaceful life."
A monumental slab, bearing date 15th April, 1747, commemo-
rates Nugent Kerr, " son to Robert Kerr, Director of His Majesty's
Chancellary of Scotland." The family of Kerr is represented by
the Marquis of Lothian.
PARISH OF KILMORIE.
At the clachan of Shisken, an old churchyard contains the grave
of Saint Molio, "the bareheaded servant of Jesus." This saint
originally resided at Lamlash; he subsequently removed to Shisken,
and died here, as is alleged, at the age of 120. On the stone which
covers his grave is sculptured a representation of the saint in the
robes of a mitred abbot, with a pastoral staff by his side and a
chalice in his hands.* It was a former custom that females after
their confinement visited St. Molio's grave, and there in token of
gratitude deposited a silver coin or some other offering.
PARISH OF ROTHESAY.
"Within the burial enclosure which surrounds the parish church
stands the choir of St. Mary's Cathedral. On the south side of the
choir, under a low Gothic arch, is the recumbent figure of a knight
* McArthur's "Antiquities of Arran," p. 188. Glasgow, 161. 8vo.
in armour extended on a tomb. From the coat of arms on the
tomb it is certain that the deceased knight belonged to the Itoyal
House. According to the most probable conjecture, the monument
was reared by Eobert II. in honour of his father, Walter the
eighth High Steward, who married the daughter of Robert the
Bruce. Walter the High Steward died at Bathgate in 1327 or
In the north wall of the choir, under a canopy, is a female figure
in low relief ; also the figure of a child in a loose robe. The base
of the monument is divided into eight compartments, which are
occupied by an equal number of small figures. An effigy in the
area of the choir, holding a sword and a bat-shaped shield, is sup-
posed to belong to the early portion of the thirteenth century, when
Angus, son of Somerled, Lord of Argyll, held the manor of Bute.f
The family mausoleum of the Marquis of Bute stands near the
parish church on its north side. Here are interred James first
Earl of Bute, who died in 1710, James, second earl, who died
28th January, 1723, and John, third earl, the celebrated statesman,
who died 19th March, 1792. The last nobleman was born in 1713.
He took part in the education of George III., and became His
Majesty's Prime Minister in May, 1762. Owing to an unpopu-
larity, which was in many respects unmerited, he retired from
office in February, 1763 ; he thereafter devoted himself to literary
and scientific studies. He was a patron of men of learning.
Through his recommendation State pensions were bestowed on
Dr. Samuel Johnson and John Home, the author of "Douglas."
The architects George and Eobert Adam were indebted to his
patronage. He printed a work on British plants, in nine quarto
volumes. He was president of many of the learned societies,
Chancellor of Marischal College, Aberdeen, and a Trustee of the
At the north-east corner of the churchyard a monumental cross
* For an elaborate and ingenious paperon this tomb, by J. C. Roger, see " Proceedings
of Society of Antiquaries of Scotland," ii. 46ti 481.
t " Proceedings of Scot. Soc. of Antiquaries," ii., 475.
PARISH OF ROTHESAY. 5
denotes the resting-place of Sir Daniel Keyte Sandford, D.C.L.,
Professor of Greek in the University of Glasgow, and M.P. for
Paisley. This eminent individual was son of Bishop Sandford,
of Edinburgh (VoL I., 78), and was born in that city on the 3rd
February, 1798. Having studied at Oxford, where he acquired
distinction, he was in 1821 elected to the Greek chair in the
University of Glasgow. In 1830 he received the honour of knight-
hood. In 1834 he was elected M.P. for Paisley ; but owing to
failing health, he soon retired from his parliamentary duties. He
died at Glasgow, of fever, on the 4th February, 1838, at the age of
forty. He composed an "Essay on the Kise and Progress of
Literature," and other works.
Among the more notable persons commemorated in the church-
yard are the Eev. Archibald McLea, D.D., minister of the parish,
who died 12th April, 1824, aged eighty-seven; the Eev. Eobert
Craig, Minister of the Free Church, Eothesay, who died 26th May,
1860, aged sixty-eight; and Archibald M'Indoe and Dugald Munn,
both provosts of the burgh.
On a tombstone bearing date 1828, Archibald Black, cooper
thus celebrates his parents :
" Station obscure and moral worth
Need no monumental fame ;
Duty alone this stone did rear,
To mark the spot and bear the name."
William Stewart, shipmaster, who died in 1829, has on his
gravestone these lines :
" Turn, Christian, turn, thy soul apply
To truths divinely given,
The bones that underneath do lie
Shall live for hell or heaven."
In the retired churchyard of Ascog a mural tablet commemo-
rates Montague Stanley, a short-lived and ingenious artist.
PARISH OF ARDCHATTAN.
IN the church and churchyard of Ardchattau Priory, founded in
1231, are several inscribed tombstones. One in the centre of the
church contains, in Saxon characters, these words
"Funallus Somherle Macdougalallus, Prior de Ardchattan
At the south-east corner of the church a flat stone contains the
following inscription :
" Hie jacet venerandus et egregius vir Rodericus Alexander,
Rector quondam Funnanni Insulse, qui obiit anno dom.
Within the church at the east end of the northern wall a monu-
ment surmounting a stone coffin represents two dignified church-
men in monastic costume, a warrior in mail armour, and two
weeping nuns, between, a human skeleton. The following inscrip-
tion, in old Irish characters, occupies the sides and margin :
" Hie jacent nati Somerledi Macdougall Duncanus et Dugallus,
hujus monasterii successive priores, una cum eomndem patre, matre
et fratre Alano, quorum Dugallus hujus nionumenti fabricator, obiit
anno Domini, MCCCCCII."
In the family burial-ground at Ardchattan, a monumental stone
commemorates Patrick Campbell of Inverzeldies. It is thus in-
" Hie . jacet . Patricius Campbell . de . Inverzeldies . qui . obiit.
veg . prim . die . Martis . anno . dom . 1678 . anno act. 86.
PARISH OF CAMPBELTON. 7
" Vir probus hie situs est, cautus, providus, per honestus,
Judicio claro promptus et ingenio. In apothymatibus
Communis sermo fluebat
Facta suis dictis consona semper erant
Prole, parente, toro, rebus, virtute, senecta,
Justitia, et meritis, laude, beatus obiit."
Mr. Campbell's younger son, the Rev. Colin Campbell, was minister
of the parish from 1667 till his death, 13th March, 1726. An
eminent mathematician and astronomer, he conducted a corres-
pondence in Latin with Sir Isaac Newton, who remarked of him
to Dr Gregory, " Were he amongst us he would make children of
us all." He was ancestor of the family of Barcaldine.
PARISH OF CAMPBELTON.
Within the church of Loland, now roofless, rest the remains of
Elizabeth, wife of Archibald, first Duke of Argyll, and daughter of
Sir Lionel Talmash of Helmington, Staffordshire. She died in
May, 1735. Her eldest son was the celebrated John Duke of
Argyll and Greenwich.
In the parish churchyard a tombstone commemorates Dr. John
Smith, minister of the parish, who died 26th June, 1807, in the
60th year of his age, and thirty-second of his ministry. A distin-
guished Gaelic scholar, Dr. Smith, assisted in translating the Scrip-
tures into that language. The published " Gaelic Antiquities/' and
various theological and other works.
The following metrical epitaphs are from Campbelton church-
" This little spot is all I've got,
And all that kings acquire,
My home's above, a gift of love,
O reader, there aspire.
" His God to him was good,
And gifts him did bestow ;
And he no chorle here prov'd
To neither high nor low.
" From stately palaces we remove
The narrow lodging of a grave to prove ;
Leave the fair train and the light gilded room,
To lie alone, benighted in the tomb :
God only is immortal, man not so,
Life to be paid upon demand we owe."
In the old Gaelic church was interred Campbell " Captain of
Skipness." This valiant soldier was a powerful opponent of the
Marquis of Montrose, and was present at the battle of Philiphaugh.
He fell at the siege of the castle of Dunaverty. A stone which
covered his grave formerly bore these lines :
" A Captain much renowned
Whose cause of fight was still Christ's right,
For which his soul is crowned.
So breifly then to know the man
This stone tells all the storie ;
On earth his race he ran with grace
In Heaven he reigns in glory."
PARISH OF COLONSAY.
Within the walls of the old church of St. Oran are several
ancient monuments, with the inscriptions obliterated. A marble
pillar is inscribed thus :
" Hie jacet Malcolumbus Mac-Duffie de Collonsay."
The clan Macduff formerly possessed a portion of the islands
Colonsay and Oronsay.
PARISH OF CRAIGNISH.
In the valley of Barbreck, near Drimree, Olave, a Dane, and the
Scottish king engaged in single combat. Olave fell, and a tumulus
marks his grave. A grey stone denotes the spot where Ulric, a
Danish general, was slain.
PARISH OF INVERAUY.
PAEISH OF DUNOON AND KILMUN.
In Dunoon churchyard are a number of ancient tombstones
variously sculptured, but without inscriptions. The modern tomb-
stone of a blacksmith bears these lines
" By hammer and hand
All airts do stand."
At Kilmun is the family burying-place of the Duke of Argyle.
Here were deposited the remains of Archibald, eighth Earl and
first Marquis of Argyle, who was executed at Edinburgh, 27th
PAEISH OF GLENORCHAY.
On a conical eminence in the vale of Glenorchay a monument
celebrates Duncan Ban Macintyre, the eminent Gaelic poet.
The monument is built of grey granite, and is constructed so as
to resemble a Druidical temple. On a massive basement, twenty
feet square, rest twelve square monoliths in circular form, and
supported by a canopy. The entire height is forty feet. Mac-
intyre was born on the farm of Drumliart in Glenorchay, on the
20th March, 1724. He died at Edinburgh in May, 1812, and his
remains were consigned to the Greyfriars' churchyard (Vol. I., 43).
His chief poem is Bendourain, or the Otter Mount.
PARISH OF INVERARY.
Within the burgh, at the end of the principal street, a stone
cross bears, in Lombardic characters, the following inscription :
" Hsec est crux nobilium virorum videlicet Dondcani M'Engyl-
lichomghan Patrici filii ejus et Maelmore filii Patrici qui haiic
crucem fieri faciebat."
The cross was brought from lona.
Near the parish church a simple monument of chlorite com-
memorates seventeen gentlemen of the name of Campbell, who
were executed by the government of James VII. during the three
years which preceded the Ee volution.
PAKISH OF IONA.
The chapel of the nunnery which alone remains of that religious
establishment contains forty-eight monumental stones, nearly all
uninscribed. The oldest tombstone, so far as can be ascertained,
bears date 1543; it is situated at the east end of the chapel, and
is believed to commemorate the last prioress, the Princess Anne.
On one portion of the surface is the figure of the prioress, an angel
supporting her head on each side, surmounted by a mirror and
comb. The other half (now broken off ) exhibited the figure of the