Charles Rogers.

Monuments and monumental inscriptions in Scotland (Volume 2) online

. (page 28 of 33)
Online LibraryCharles RogersMonuments and monumental inscriptions in Scotland (Volume 2) → online text (page 28 of 33)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


" Mors Christi mors mortis. Sic itur ad astra. Positum Davidi
Eose de Earlesmill, filio Gulielmo Eose et Liliae Hay, Domini et
Dominse de Kilravock, qui obiit 30 Mail 1669. ^Etatis 76. Necnon
conjugi, Christines Cuthbert, filise Jacobi Cuthbert de Drakie, quae
obiit 8 Septemb 1658. In memoriam parentum et fratum Jacobi,
Gulielmi et Alexandri et Gulielmi Eose, adornandum curavit
Magister Hugo Eose, divini verbi Minister apud Nairn, 1667."

" Joannes Eose de Broadley, filius Gulielmi Eose et Lilise Hay,
Domini et Dominse de Kilravock, obiit 19 April, 1662. ^Etatis 72.
Anna Chisholme ipsius conjunx filia Domini de Cromlix, obiit 29
Maii, 1658. Filii et conjugis . . . Joannes primogenitus, 1, Joanna
Ky nnaird, filia Domini deCoulbine; 2, Christina Fraser, filia . . . .



PARISH OF NAIRN. 375

Fraser de Strouie. Jacobus secundo genitus, tribunus militum in
Gallia, 1641. Gulielmus tertiogenitus Lilias Grant, soror Joannis
Grant de Moynes. Hugo quartogenitus, Margareta McCulloch, filia
Andreae McCulloch de Glastalich. Alexander quintogenitus obiit
1661. Henricus sextogenitus, Joanna Eoss, filia magistri Thomse
Ross de Morenge. Filise et conjugis Anna primogenita, Alexander
Dunbar de Boath. Maria secundogenita, magister Joannes Dallas
de Budzett decanus Eossen. Joanna tertiogenita, magister Jacobus
McKenzie, divini verbi minister apud Nigg, 1670."

The family of Eose settled in Nairnshire in the reign of David I.,
they were first designated of Geddes. The House is now repre-
sented by Major James Eose, the twenty- third laird of Kilravock.



376 IXVFRXESS-SHIUK.



INVERNESS-SHIRE.



PARISH OF DUIRINISH.

In the churchyard of Duirinish, Isle of Skye, an obelisk about
thirty feet in height presents on a marble tablet the following in-
scription :

" This pyramid was erected by Simon, Lord Fraser of Lovat, in
honour of Lord Thomas his father, a Peer of Scotland, and Chief of
the great and ancient Clan of the Frasers. Being attacked for his
birthright by the family of Atholl, then in power and favour with
King William, yet by the valour and fidelity of his clan, and the
assistance of the Campbells, the old friends and allies of his family,
he defended his birthright with such greatness and firmety of soul,
and such valour and activity, that he was an honour to his name,
and a good pattern to all brave chiefs of clans. He died in the
month of May, 1699, in the 63rd year of his age, in Dunvegan,
the house of the Laird of MacLeod, whose sister he had married,
by whom he had the above Simon, Lord Fraser, and several other
children. And, for the great love he bore to the family of MacLeod
he desired to be buried near his wife's relations, in the place where
two of her uncles lay. And his son, Lord Simon, to show to posterity
his great affection for his mother's kindred, the brave MacLeods,
chooses rather to leave his father's bones with them than carry
them to his own burial-place, near Lovat."

Thomas Fraser of Beaufort, commemorated in the above inscrip-
tion, did not obtain legal recognition of his family honours. His
claim to the title and estates of Lovat was disputed by Amelia
Fraser, eldest daughter of Hugh, tenth Lord Lovat, and his wife
Amelia Murray, daughter of John, Marquis of Athole. After a period
the opposition was withdrawn, and Simon Fraser of Beaufort, son
of Thomas, was served heir to the title and estates. His career
forms a curious episode in the national history. He was beheaded
on Tower Hill, London, 9th April, 1747.

In the churchyard at Trumpan, at "\Yaternish, were secretly



PARISH OF HAUKIS. 377

entombed the remains of the ill-fated Lady Grange. Daughter of
John Chiesley of Dairy, who murdered Sir George Lochhart,
Lord President of the Court of Session, this unhappy gentlewoman
was subject to fierce ebullitions of temper. Married to Mr.
James Erskine, a judge in the Court of Session, by the title of Lord
Grange, and younger brother of the Earl of Mar, who promoted the
rebellion of 1715, she became cognizant of her husband's disaffec-
tion. She threatened him with exposure, which implied deprivation
of office, and probably death upon the scaffold. With the approval
of his children, Lord Grange negotiated her abduction. A report
of her death was circulated, and a mock funeral enacted, while the
unhappy woman was by devious routes carried to the isle of Skye ;
she was afterwards sent to Uist, and subsequently to St. Kilda,
where she remained seven years. Again she was removed to Uist,
and from thence to Skye. By concealing a letter in a clue of yarn
sent to Inverness market, she contrived to inform her relatives of
her detention. These applied to the authorities on her behalf, and
a ship-of-war was dispatched to her rescue. But a strict watch
was maintained, and she was not discovered. Latterly she was
kept at Waternish, where she died in May, 1745, after a captivity
of thirteen years.



PARISH OF HARRIS.

Within the old church of Scarista, island of Lewis, are deposited
the remains of the Rev. Aulay Macaulay, minister of Harris. This
reverend gentleman was son of " The Man of Brenish," celebrated
in song and legend, for his feats of strength. His grandfather Donald
Macaulay of Lewis distinguished himself on the patriotic side in the
troubles which arose first with the Fifeshire colonists at Stornoway,
and afterwards with the Mackenzies. Barn in 1773, Aulay
Macaulay took his degree at the University of Edinburgh, in 1693,
and afterwards studied theology in the college of Glasgow. In
1704 he was admitted minister of Tiree, where he endured many



378 INVERNESS-SHIUE.

privations till his translation to Kilmalie in 1712. In the following
year he was preferred to Harris, where he ministered till his death,
which took place on the 20th April, 1758. In his Will he stipulated
that his remains should be interred at the threshold of the Church,
so that every Sunday his people might tread upon his grave. His
desire was not fully complied with, for his remains were deposited
within the church, and on the right side of the passage. The coffin,
according to the practice of the island, was placed only a few inches
under the surface. Many years after, as the church officer was
scooping the earthen floor of the church, he partially exposed a
human skull, which he dug up. It was that of Mr. Macaulay.

Mr. Macaulay married Margaret Morison, and left three sons,
-/Eneas, John, and Kenneth. The last died minister of Cawdor (see
supra, p. 374). John, the second son, was born in 1720, and studied
at King's College, Aberdeen. Having obtained licence, he was, in
1745, admitted minister of South Uist. In 1755 he was translated
to Lismore, and thence in 1765 to the second charge of Inverary. In
1774 he was preferred to the parish of Cardross, where he ministered
till his death, which took place on the 31st March, 1789. By his
marriage with Margaret, daughter of Colin Campbell, of Invergregan,
he had seven sons and five daughters. His third son Zachary was
some years a merchant at Sierra Leone. Returning to Britain he
became a prominent member of the Anti-Slavery Society. He was
father of Lord Macaulay, the distinguished historian.



PAEISH OF INVERNESS.

In the old church, a monument reared by his son-in-law, John
Cuthbert, of Castle-hill, Inverness, celebrates William Hay, D.D.,
Bishop of Moray, who died 19th March, 1707, aged sixty-one. It
is inscribed thus :

P. M. S.
" Reverendi admodum in Christo patris Gulielmi Hay, S.T.P.



PARISH OF INVERNESS. 379

episcopi Moraviensis meritissirni, qni priniievae pietatis et suinmae
eloquentise prsesul, constans ubique ecclesite et majestatis regue
assertor, nee magis florentis utriusque quam atfiictee; episcopales
infulas pietate ornavit vitae integritate, morum suavitate decoravit ;
tandem, studiis et paralysi vicennali exhausto, vitam integerrimam
beatissima secuta est uiors ; Martii 19, 1707. -<Etatis suse 60.
Hoc monumentum, qualequale est, qui ejus duxerat Joannes Cuth-
bert, A.E.M. posuit, ejus filiam duxerat Joannes Cuthbert, A.K.M.
posuit."



Bishop Hay was a pious and exemplary prelate. On the aboli-
tion of episcopacy in 1690, he retired to Inverness. Of mild dispo-
sition he abhorred persecution, and exhorted his clergy to ministerial
earnestness and brotherly love.

In the chapel bury ing-ground a monument celebrates the Hon.
Sybella Mackay, daughter of John, second Lord Eeay, and wife of
Alexander Eose, bailie of Inverness. It is inscribed thus :



"Hicjacet corpus mulieris non tantum natalium splendore, sed
etiam propriis virtutibus illustris, Dominse Sibyllse M'Kay, filue
legitimse nobilis quondam et potentis Domini, Joannis reguli a
Eeay et Dom. Barbarse M'Kay Alexandri Eose, prsetoris Inner-
nessensis sponsee, quse obiit 16 cal. Novemb. anno serse Christi
1691. ^Etatis autem suse 27."



On the tombstone of John Cuthbert, of Drakies, Provost of Inver-
ness, who died 21st November, 1711, is the following couplet :

" In death no difference is made
Betwixt the sceptre and the spade."

On tombstones at Inverness are these rhymes :

" The life of man's a rolling stone,
Mov'd to and fro and quickly gone."



" Here we lie asleep, till Christ the world surround,
This sepulchre will keep until the trumpet sound."



380 INVERNESS-SHIUE.

" Asks thou who lies within this place so narrow,
I'm here to-day, thou may'st be here to-morrow,
Dust must return to dust, our mother,
The soul returns to God our father."

" Here lies my friend, yet he'll no longer lie
Than death is swallow'd up in victory ;
We parted were when he resigned his breath
He'll make us meet again who conquer'd death."

" Beholder,

Take time while time doth serve ; 'tis time to-day,
But secret dangers still attend delay,
Do what thou canst, to-day hath eagle's wings,
And who can tell what change to-morrow brings."



PAEISH OF KILMALIE.

The following inscription on an obelisk commemorates a
hero :

" Sacred to the memory of Colonel John Cameron, eldest son of
Sir Ewen Cameron of Fassfern, Baronet, whose mortal remains,
transported from the field of glory, where he died rest here with
those of his forefathers. During twenty years of active military
service, with a spirit that knew no fear, and shunned no danger, he
accompanied or led, in marches, sieges, and battles, the gallant 92nd
Eegiment of Scottish Highlanders, always to honour, almost always
to victory ; and at length in the 42nd year of his age, upon the
memorable 16th day of June, A.D. 1815, was slain in the command of
that corps, while actively contributing to achieve the decisive victory
of Waterloo, which gave peace to Europe. Thus closing his military
career with the long and eventful struggle in which his services
has been so often distinguished, he died lamented by that unrivalled
general to whose long train of success he had so often contributed ;
by his country from whom he had repeatedly received marks of the
highest consideration, and by his sovereign, who graced his surviv-
ing family with those marks of honour which could not follow to
this place, him whose merits they were designed to commemorate.
Reader, call not his fate untimely who thus honoured and lamented
closed a life of fame by a death of glory."



PARISH OF KILMUIR. 381

PAEISH OF KILMTJIK.

In the churchyard of Kilmuir, Isle of Skye, a monument has
lately been reared at the grave of Flora Macdonald. Composed
of grey granite it presents the form of an lona Cross, rising with
the basement to the height of nearly thirty feet. The site is
elevated, and the monument is conspicuous over a wide area.

As the dauntless protector of an unfortunate prince, Flora Mac-
Donald possesses no uncertain claim to honourable commemora-
tion. Daughter of a gentleman who occupied a farm in the isle
of Uist, she lost her father in early childhood, and her
upbringing not long after devolved on her kinsman, Macdonald
of Armadale in Skye, whom her mother accepted as her
second husband. Armadale commanded a company of Militia
in the service of the government ; but Flora was like the majority
of highland gentlewomen, deeply interested in the cause of the
Chevalier. Introduced to the Prince after the battle of Culloden,
she conducted him in disguise as her waiting maid from the Long
Island to Monkstadt. Discovered to have been privy to his escape
she was seized, carried to London and committed to the Tower.
Her heroic conduct made her an object of general concern. She
was visited by the Prince of Wales, who graciously procured her
liberation. At the residence of Lady Primrose, she received visits
from many of the nobility, who warmly commended her generosity.
Eeturning to Scotland, she married in November, 1750, Allan Mac-
donald, younger of Kingsburgh. She accompanied her husband to
North Carolina, where he took part in the War of Independence.
Having endured many privations and hardships, Mr. and Mrs.
Macdonald returned to Skye. Their children who attained maturity
were five sons and two daughters. The sons joined the army and
the daughters became officers' wives. One of the sons Lieutenant-
Colonel John Macdonald, F.K.S., was a distinguished officer, and
possessed some celebrity for his scientific attainments. He died
in 1831. Mrs. Flora Macdonald died at Kingsburgh on the 5th
March, 1790. Her funeral was attended by three thousand persons.



382 INVERNESS-SHIRE.

About two years afterwards the remains of her husband were laid
by her side within the mortuary enclosure of the House of Kings-



burgh.



In Kilmuir churchyard a gravestone denotes the resting-place
of the Rev. Donald Macqueen, minister of the parish, who died 1st
February, 1785. By Dr. Samuel Johnson he was commended for
his learning.



PARISH OF PETTY.

Since the year 1606, when Lachlan, third of that name, and
sixteenth Laird of Mackintosh was buried at Petty, it has been
the family burial-ground of the Chiefs of clan Chattan. Four
chiefs and two of their ladies are laid in the family vault ; the
other members of the house are sepulchred within a railed en-
closure.

At the east end of the old church is the burial-place of Cap-
tain John Mackintosh of Kellachie, father of Sir James Mackin-
tosh, the distinguished philosopher.

The chief of the Macgillivrays, who was killed at Cullodeu,
was interred in the churchyard.



PARISH OF SLEAT.

In the churchyard an elegant monument, executed at Rome,
commemorates Sir James Macdouald, Bart., the " Scottish Mar-
cellus." This short-lived scholar, eighth baronet of Sleat, and
male representative of the Lords of the Isles, was born in 1741.
At Eton he greatly distinguished himself by his attainments,
and high hopes were entertained of his career. In course of
his travels he was seized with a complication of disorders, of
which he died on the 26th July, 1766. His monument is thus
inscribed :



PARISH OF URQUIIART AND CLENMORISTON, 383

" To the memoiy of Sir James Macdonald, Bart., who in the flower
of his youth had attained to so eminent a degree of knowledge in
Mathematics, Philosophy, Languages, and in every other branch of
useful and polite learning, as few have acquired in a long life
wholly devoted to study ; yet to this erudition he joined what can
rarely be found with it, great talents for business, great propriety of
behaviour, great politeness of manners ! His eloquence was sweet,
correct and flowing ; his memory vast and exact ; his judgment
strong and acute ; all which endowments, united with the most
amiable temper and every private virtue, procured him, not only in
his own country, but also from foreign nations, the highest marks
of esteem. In the year of our Lord 1766, in the 25th of his life,
after a long and extremely painful illness, which he supported with
admirable patience and fortitude, he died at Eome, where notwith-
standing the difference in religion, such extraordinary honours were
paid to his memory as had never graced that of any other British
subject, since the death of Sir Philip Sydney. The fame he left be-
hind him is the best consolation to his afflicted family, and to his
countrymen in this isle, for whose benefit he had planned many
useful improvements, which his fruitful genius suggested, and his
active spirit promoted under the sober direction of a clear and en-
lightened understanding. Eeader, bewail our loss, and that of all
Britain. In testimony of her love, and as the best return she can
make to her departed son for the constant tenderness and affection
which, even to his last moments, he showed for her, his much
afflicted mother, the Lady Margaret Macdonald, daughter to the
Earl of Eglintoune, erected this monument A.D. 1768."

Sir James Macdonald's younger brother, Alexander, was in 1776
created Baron Macdonald of Sleat; he died in 1795. The third
brother, Archibald, studied for the English bar, and became Lord
Chief Baron ; he was created a baronet in 1813, and died in 1826.



PARISH OF UEQUHART AND GLENMOKISTOK

Within the churchyard of St. Columba is the burial enclosure of
the Grants of Glenmoriston. Two tombstones belonging to the
family are thus inscribed :

" This stone is erected here in memory of the much honoured
John Grant, laird of Glenmoriston, who died 1730, aged 79.

" A.D. 1840 : Alexander Grant, son of John Grant, fifth laird of



384 INVERNESS-SHIRE.

Glenmoriston, and his spouse Janet Mackenzie, grand-daughter of
Captain Alexander Mackenzie of Gairloch, ancestors of Captain
George Grant of the Indian Array, has erected this monument as a
token of affection, esteem, and regard, with which he cherishes
their memory. They died at Bre, about the year 1730. Deut. 32,
7 ; Prov. 10, 7.

" The tomb of James Grant of Burnhall, W.S., 2d son of Patrick
Grant of Glenmoriston, by Henrietta, daughter of James Grant of
Rothiemurchus, died 1834, aged 66 years. His family James, died
at Barbadoes, 1829, aged 20 ; Simon- Fraser died at Edinburgh,
1829, aged 11 ; John Charles, E.I.C.S., Bengal, died at Singapore,
1836, aged 28, at whose desire this tomb of his father and family
was erected. Helen, spouse of Alexander Macdonald of Berbice,
died at Dawlish, Devonshire, 1840, aged 34.''



PARISH OF CONTIN. 385



BOSS AND CROMARTY.



PAEISH OF ALNESS.

In the parish churchyard an obelisk reared by a widow in memory
of her departed husband, has the following epitaph :

" Cold is that breast where every virtue glow'd,
Still is that heart whence pure affection flow'd,
Silent that tongue, whose mild and welcome sound
Sooth'd all my cares and heal'd my every wound.
Thy pure affections manly, gentle, kind,
Eest deep engraved on thy dear partner's mind ;
Nor could her fruitless tears, her heartfelt grief
In worldly consolation find relief,
But God in mercy to her woes hath given
The cheering hope to meet again in heaven."



PAEISH OF CONTIK

In Contin churchyard, under the shadow of the elevated Tor-
Achilty, a simple tombstone denotes the grave of William Laid-
law. This intimate friend and amanuensis of Sir Walter Scott was
born in Ettrick Forest, in November, 1780. Unsuccessful in
farming, he was invited by Scott, in his thirty-seventh year, to act as
land-steward at Abbotsford. There he remained with a brief interval,
till the death of his patron in 1832. He was now appointed
steward on the Eoss-shire property of Mrs. Stewart Mackenzie of
Seaforth ; a situation which he subsequently exchanged for the
factorship of Sir Charles Lockhart Eoss, of Balnagowan. He

2 c



ROSS AND CROMARTY.



latterly resided at Contin, where he died on the 18th May, 1845.
Laidlaw became known to Sir Walter Scott, from his love of
Border ballad. He composed several songs, of which the most
popular is " Lucy's Flittin."



PARISH OF CROMARTY.

Near the Gaelic Chapel, a monumental statue of Hugh Miller,
executed by Handyside Ritchie, has been reared by public sub-
scription. (Vol. I., p. 147.)

In front of the Free Church, a massive monument of Aberdeen
granite commemorates the Rev. Alexander Stewart, an eminent
minister of the parish, who died 5th November 1847, aged 54. In
1843 Mr. Stewart adhered to the Free Church.



PARISH OF DINGWALL.

On an artificial mound near the parish church an obelisk fifty-
seven feet in height was erected by Sir George Mackenzie, first Earl
of Cromarty, to denote the spot he had selected as a place of sepul-
ture. Son of Sir John Mackenzie, who was created a baronet in
1628, this accomplished statesman supported Charles II. by military
service, and on the Restoration was appointed a Lord of Session, with
a seat in the Privy Council. By James VII. he was in 1685 created
a peer with the title of Viscount Tarbet. At the Revolution,
William III., who knew his abilities, accepted his services as Lord
Clerk Register : in the beginning of Queen Anne's reign he held
office as Secretary of State. In January, 1703, he was created
Earl of Cromarty. He died in 1714 ; his present representative is
the Countess of Cromarty, Duchess of Sutherland.



PARISH OF FEARN. 387

PAEISH OF FEAEN.

The Abbey of Fearu was founded by Ferquhard, Earl of Ross,
about the year 1230. An aisle at the east end of the structure
has for centuries been the burying-place of the ancient House of
Eoss. Here a handsome monument with a Latin inscription cele-
brates General the Honourable Charles Eoss, a distinguished
member of the sept. Second son of George, eleventh Lord Eoss,
he was born on the 8th February, 1667. As an officer in the army
he countenanced the Eevolution, but afterwards joined Sir James
Montgomery in his plot for restoring the exiled House. In 1695
he was appointed colonel of the royal regiment of Irish dragoons, and
took part in the continental war. Elected M.P. for Eoss-shire in
1707, he gave an active support to the Tory administration. In
1712 he attained the rank of general. He was one of the Secret
Committee to enquire into the conduct of the South Sea Directors,
and in this capacity distinguished himself by his activity and
candour. He died at Bath on the 5th August, 1732, and his
remains were conveyed to the Abbey of Fearn, and there laid in
a sarcophagus.

In the Eoss aisle were interred the remains of Sir John Lock-
hart Eoss, Bart., of Batnagowan. This gentleman was fifth son of the
Honourable Grizel Eoss, sister of General Eoss, and her husband Sir
James Lockhart, of Carstairs. Born on the llth November, 1721,
he entered the navy in his fourteenth year. In 1756 he obtained com-
mand of the Tartar frigate of twenty-four guns, with which in the
course of fifteen months he captured in the channel nine of the
enemy's ships. In 1787 he was promoted as Vice Admiral of the
Blue. By the death of his brother George, in July, 1778, he suc-
ceeded to the family baronetcy. He died at Balnagowan on the
9th June, 1790, in his sixty-ninth year. He was eminently
benevolent.

In Hiltoun burying-ground a gravestone now removed bore these
lines :

" HE . THAT . LIVES . WEIL . DYES . WEIL . SAYS . SOLOMON . THE . WISE.
HERE . LYES . ALEXANDER . DVFF . AND . HIS . THRIE . WIVES."



ROSS AND CROMARTY.



PARISH OF FODDERTY.

Near the parish church two upright stones are traditionally asso-
ciated with the history of Fingal. A stone near Castle Leod bearing
the figure of an eagle denotes the spot at which a number of the
clan Munro were slain by the Mackenzies of Seaforth. Another
engagement which took place between the Mackenzies and Mac-
donalds is commemorated by a group of monoliths.



PARISH OF GAIRLOCH.

In the churchyard a tombstone commemorates William Ross, the
celebrated Gaelic bard. Born at Broadford, Isle of Skye, in 1762,
he was educated at the school of Torres, and in his twenty-fourth
year was appointed schoolmaster of this parish. He died at Gair-
loch in his twenty-eighth year. He is styled the Burns of the
Gaelic Highlands.



PARISH OF KINCARDINE.

A portion of a sarcophagus in the churchyard is associated with
a Prince of Loellin who died of his wounds, and was buried at the
spot. The end of one of the sides bears some sculptures, including a
man on horseback throwing a spear, and the figure of a crown.



PARISH OF NIGG.

Attached to the parish church is an ancient Runic cross ; it re-
presents two priestlike figures in the act of offering sacrifice, with
other emblems.



PARISH OF KOSEMAKKIE. 389

A sculptured stone at Shadwick bears on one side the figure of a
cross, wrought into an intricate species of fret-work, while inter-
vening spaces present figures of different kinds of animals.
On the reverse side are processions, hunting scenes, and other
sculptures.



PAEISH OF EOSEMAEKIE.

The ancient church of Eosemarkie was founded in the



Online LibraryCharles RogersMonuments and monumental inscriptions in Scotland (Volume 2) → online text (page 28 of 33)