Copyright
Chicago Chapman Publishing Company.

Portrait and biographical record of the state of Colorado, containing portraits and biographies of many well known citizens of the past and present online

. (page 85 of 212)
Online LibraryChicago Chapman Publishing CompanyPortrait and biographical record of the state of Colorado, containing portraits and biographies of many well known citizens of the past and present → online text (page 85 of 212)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


office at Twenty-ninth and State streets, Chicago,
and became a real-estate dealer, buying and sell-
ing property south of Twenty-ninth street.

When the colony was formed to come to Colo-
rado in 1870, Mr. Falkenberg determined to join
them, and in the fall of that year located in the
upper end of Wet Mountain Valley. In the
spring of the following year he removed to Pu-
eblo, where he worked as a carpenter for two
years. At the time he came to this state, the
railroad extended no further than River Bend,
one hundred miles from Denver, and the re-
mainder of the journey was necessarily made by
wagon, but while he was living in Pueblo, the
railroad was extended to that point. In the early
part of 1873 he moved back to the valley and lo-
cating a ranch, followed his trade, while at the
same time he began the improvement of the
property. After three j-ears on the ranch he went
to Ula, a village two miles north of Westcliffe.
In 1876 he started in the mercantile business
there, putting up a building in which he carried
a stock of goods. From 1879 to 1888 he also
served as postmaster of the village. Starting on
a small scale, as his trade grew his stock was en-
larged, until finally he had a complete assortment
of goods.

Westcliffe having been started, Mr. Falken-
berg came here in 1888, and erected a stone store
building, fifty-five feet deep. Two years later
he built the residence he has since occupied.
One year after coming to this village he increased
the size of his store building to one hundred and
twenty-five feet depth, so that he had 25x125
feet for his large stock of merchandise. Besides
this, he put up the adjoining building, 25x70
feet, and now has his dry goods in a separate
building across the street. During all these
years he has continued to operate his ranch of
one hundred and sixty acres, which lies about six
miles west of town and on which he raises fine
crops of grain, potatoes and hay.

Politically Mr. Falkenberg has always affiliated
with the Democratic party. In 1892-93 he served
as county treasurer, and has also been a member
of the town board. For seven years he has been
identified with the school board. In religion he
is a Roman Catholic. He has assisted in de-
veloping the mining interests of Custer County,
having a tunnel seven hundred and fifty feet on a
promising prospect, and is also interested in the
Bull Domingo mine. August 8, 1870, he mar-



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



591



ried Barbara Lanzendorfer, of Chicago, but a na-
tive of Rochester, N. Y. They became the par-
ents of four sons and three daughters, all of whom
are living but one daughter. They are named
as follows: Charles William, who assists his fa-
ther in the store; Amelia and Carrie, who con-
duct the dry-goods store on the opposite side of
the street from the main store; Frank A., who
helps his father in business; Grover Edward and
Henry.

EHARLES W. MC REYNOLDS, of Colorado
Springs, was born in Wantage, Sussex
County, N. J., December 8, 1842, a son of
Rev. Anthony and Susannah (Hodges) McRey-
nolds. His paternal grandfather, who was a na-
tive of Scotland, came to America some years
prior to the Revolution, but after a time returned
to the British Isles and settled in Dungannon,
County Tyrone, Ireland, where he became a
large land owner. He married an English lady,
who died at the age of one hundred years; he
was one hundred and two at the time of his
death.

Born in Dungannon, Ireland, Anthony McRey-
nolds was educated in Edinburgh for the ministry
and became an ordained clergyman in the Pres-
byterian Church. After his marriage to Miss
Hodges, who was a native of Ireland, he re-
mained for a short time in that country, and then
emigrated to the United States and accepted a
pastorate in New Jersey. Afterward he estab-
lished a church in what is now a suburb of Cleve-
land, Ohio. In 1848 he began the practice of
law in Cleveland, and soon attained prominence
in his profession. In politics he was a Republican
and a strong Abolitionist. During the adminis-
tration of President Lincoln he was appointed
consul to Ireland and left his home for Washing-
ton, where his commission was to be handed him.
In Baltimore, however, he was taken seriously ill,
and decided to decline the appointment. With
the exception of some years spent in Ann Arbor,
Mich., in order that his children might attend
the state- university, he continued to reside in
Cleveland until his death, at eighty-two years, in
1886. By his first wife, who died in Ohio, he
had three children: Mrs. Ann Deardorf, who died
in Ohio in 1877; Mrs. Sarah Bonner, of Eden-
ton, N. C; and Charles William, of this sketch.
By his second marriage three children were born:
Frederick, Frank and Mrs. Hattie Prentice, all
of Cleveland. Our subject was an infant when



his parents moved to Cleveland, and there he
studied in the grammar and high schools. When
a mere boy he learned telegraphy, and when the
overland telegraph line was completed he was of-
fered $60 per month in gold as operator at Rocky
Ridge (now South Pass City), Wyo. He came
west in 1861 via stage from St. Joe. After re-
maining a short time at Rocky Ridge he was
transferred to Pacific Springs. In 1862 he re-
turned to Cleveland and joined the Cleveland
Grays, Company D, Eighty-fourth Ohio In-
fantry, May 26 of that year, and served until
September 20, when he was mustered out and
discharged, his service having been principally
in Winchester, Va., and Cumberland, Md. In
February, 1863, he entered the service of the
United States military telegraph corps as cipher
clerk, and remained until the spring of 1865,
when he resigned at Nashville, Tenn. He was
first assigned to Memphis, Tenn., with the rank
of first lieutenant, and served successively with
Generals Hulbert, McPherson, Banks and
Thomas, and was intermediate cipher operator
between Generals Grant and Sherman. While
he was serving with Gen. J. J. Wilson, illness in
his family caused him to resign. During his
service he had many exciting and hazardous ex-
periences. While constructing telegraph lines at
different places to open communication with the
troops, he was captured three times, first by Sol
Street's guerillas, then by General Forrest (both
of which times he made his escape) , and last by
McNeerey's guerillas, who released him. As an
operator he was especially valuable to Federal of-
ficers by reason of the fact that he had committed
to memory the three different ciphers, and was,
therefore, not obliged to carry a key, which
might have been captured with him.

Upon leaving the telegraph service Mr. McRey-
nolds studied law under Judge Bishop, and later
entered the Ohio State Law School, from which
he was graduated. He then traveled in Old
Mexico for two years, also took a trip to Chili,
South America, and to California, thence took
the first stage through from the terminus of the
railroad to Utah, and became the first Western
Union operator at Corinne, receiving the first
message ever delivered in that town. His next
station was Box Elder, or Brigham City, where
he remained for a year. From 1873 to 1876 he
remained principally in Texas, and from that
state went back east. In 1878, during the yellow
fever epidemic in Memphis, he volunteered to go



592



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



to that city as operator, and remained there some
months. The following year he went to Colo-
rado and became an employe of the Santa Fe
Railroad Company at Pueblo. For six years he
was the company's agent at Nepesta, Pueblo
County, and at the same time served as justice of
the peace. In 1887 he went to l,eadville. At the
beginning of the Cripple Creek excitement he
was general forwarding agent of the Grant Trans-
fer Company, which handled almost all of the ore
out and the freight into the camp. He was man-
ager of the Beaver Park Land Company, which
located the town site of Gillett. At the same
time he became interested in mines, and is now
president and general manager of the Pay Car
Gold Mining and Leasing Company. In Janu-
ary, 1896, he came to Colorado Springs and
opened a brokerage office. In the fall of the same
year he was elected justice of the peace and held
the position for two years.

The first wife of Mr. McReynolds was Julia
Ranney, who was born in Cleveland and died
there. His second marriage, which took place in
Dodge City, Kan., united him with Miss Flor-
ence Smith, who was born in Ohio. They have
one daughter. Pearl.

Always a Republican, in 1896 Mr. McRey-
nolds became an adherent of the silver branch of
the party. In 1897 he was secretary of the county
committee. He was made a member of the Odd
Fellows' Order in Colorado, and belongs to the
lodge at Colorado Springs. He is also identified
with Colorado Springs Post No. 22, G. A. R. ; El
Paso County Pioneers' Society, the Old Time
Telegraphers' Association and the State Keeley
League, of which he has served as president.
Naturally of a roving disposition, with a desire
for adventure and excitement, in youth he fell
into those temptations that assail the thoughtless
and gay, but in after years, seeing the folly of his
course, he showed genuine Scotch determination
in gaining the victory over every temptation and
settling down to a life of steady industry and up-
rightness. He is a man who is respected by all
who know him.



(TOHN G. SCHWEIGERT, county attorney
I of Custer County, residing in Westcliffe^
v2/ was born in Toledo, Ohio, in November,
1862, and is a son of John G. and Barbara
(Dueringer) Schweigert. He and his sister,
Freda, Mrs. Herman Hahn, of Toledo, are the



survivors of the original family of five children,
whose father came to America in 1849 and en-
gaged in building and contracting in Toledo.
When he was but four years of age his father
died and five years later his mother passed away,
after which he was taken into the home of an
uncle, who was engaged in the tobacco business
in Toledo.

In the spring of 1880 Mr. Schweigert came to
Colorado, first settling in Ute City, near Aspen,
where he was engaged in mining until the fall of
1 88 1. Afterward he made his headquarters at
Cotopaxi, Fremont County, until 1884, ^^d
while there he began the study of law. Coming
from that place to Custer County, he continued
his studies with Judge Adams as preceptor. In
1889 he was elected county judge and three
years later was re-elected, serving in all for five
years, but resigning one year prior to the expira-
tion of his second term. He was admitted to the
bar in 1893 and has since engaged in the general
practice of his profession. His work as judge,
and also as clerk of the district court under Judge
Bailey, gave him a diversity of experience and
an excellent insight into different phases of juris-
prudence, which was of inestimable value to him
in his later practice. Besides his general and
county practice he acts as counsel for the Custer
County Cattle Growers' Association.

Active in the local work of the Democratic
party, Mr. Schweigert has regularly attended
county conventions and has also been a delegate
to those of the state. Besides being county judge
for five years and clerk of the district court for
six years, he held the office of mayor for two
terms, and in these various capacities proved
himself an earnest, efficient and reliable official.
In the adjudicating of the water rights of this
section he acted as referee. In all matters of
especial importance, pertaining to the drawing
up of papers, as trustee, administrator, etc. , he
is always relied upon, and has served as executor
of the majority of the estates in the county. In
the midst of other duties he has maintained his
interest in mining and has done much toward the
development of mines in this county. Fraternally
he is connected with Rosita Lodge No. 25,
A. O. U. W., and Westcliffe Camp No. 309,
Woodmen of the World.

January 31, 1887, Mr. Schweigert married
Alice C, daughter of Rev. L. W. Smith, of
Rosita. They have two sons and one daughter,
John L., Willie G. and Marie A.




JOHN P. BREEN.



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



/10HN P. BREEN, superintendent of the Wat-
I son, Robinson & Cameron mines at Walsen-
Qj burg, has been connected with the Colorado
Fuel and Iron Company since 1884. First as a
coal miner, in the spring of 1887 he was promoted
and made pile mine foreman, which position he
held until 1892. Afterward he was sent to Rouse,
Huerfano County, and from there, October i,
1892, was transferred to Walsenburg, as superin-
tendent of the mines at this place. He has en-
gaged in prospecting in this county and other
parts of the San Luis Valley and in the Red River
district of New Mexico, also in Gunnison County,
in all of which places he has staked out claims.
During the twenty-two years in which he has en-
gaged in mining, he has made a close study of
every detail connected with the business and few
are better informed than he regarding the value
of claims and their feasibility for profitable opera-
tion.

The father of our subject, John Breen, St., was
born in Ireland and in 1843 (the year following
our subject's birth) brought his family to the
United States, settling in Minersville, Schuylkill
County, Pa., and engaging in coal mining, which
occupation he had followed in Ireland. He had
owned one of the first coal mines in County Kil-
kenny and had operated it for several years.
Having from youth been identified with the coal
mining industry, he was well fitted to engage
in it with practical success. He remained in
Minersville until his death, which occurred in
1875, at the age of seventy-five. By his mar-
riage to Anna Grudy, he had five children, name-
ly: Mary, wife of Daniel Brennan, of Miners-
ville; Patrick, of the same place; Peter, decea.sed;
Anna, wife of Simon Kirwick, who lives in Phil-
adelphia; and John. The mother of these chil-
dren had died in Ireland when her youngest child,
our subject, was only nine months old.

At the age of thirteen our subject began to as-
sist his father in the mines. Five years later he
went to New York City, where for one year he
worked at stair-building, and then, returning to
Minersville, served an apprenticeship of three
years to the cabinet-maker's trade. After com-
pleting his time he went to Philadelphia, where
he followed carpentering, building and contract-
ing, and erected several dwellings in the north-
western part of the city, also a number of busi-
ness blocks. The year after the Centennial he
went to the oil regions and began the manufac-
ture of oil-well supplies and derricks at Bradford,
28



595

Pa. After continuing in that business for some
time, in December, 1879, hestarted for Colorado,
and in January, 1880, arrived in Buena Vista,
from which point he proceeded to Leadville.
There he followed his trade until May, when he
went into the Gunnison country and began pros-
pecting; at the same time he assisted in the erec-
tion of buildings in the towns of Ruby and Crested
Butte. He still owns two patented claims in the
Gunnison district. In 1882 he secured employ-
ment as a carpenter in the anthracite mines near
Crested Butte. In 1884 he entered the employ
of the Colorado Fuel and Iron Company, with
which he has since remained.

Since coming to Walsenburg Mr. Breen has
purchased a substantial residence, and here he
and his wife (who was formerly Miss Jennie
Moore, of Philadelphia) have established a cosy
and comfortable home. In his political belief he
is a strong supporter of free silver and believes
that, only by a restoration of silver to its proper
standard, can a permanent prosperity be secured
for our people. With the exception of this plank,
he is in sympathy with the Republican platform.



P



RANK L. KENNICOTT is the owner of
a pleasant home in the Wet Mountain Val-
ley, where he is engaged in stock-raising and
farming. On locating here in 1871, he took up
one hundred and sixty acres of land, and with
thirteen cows and a few potatoes for planting, he
began for himself. The start was very small,
but from it he has worked his way to be one of
the leading cattlemen of Custer County. When
he came to this section, there was a scanty popu-
lation and the land was wild, while all the sur-
roundings were those of the frontier. He has
increased his ranch until it includes ten hundred
and forty acres. His principal farm products are
grain and hay, the annual average of the latter
being seven hundred tons. Every fall he buys
from three to four hundred head of cattle, which
he feeds during the winter and sells in the spring.
In Cook County, 111., Mr. Kennicott was born
December 13, 1842. The family of which he is a
member came to America prior to the Revolution
and settled near Albany, N. Y. About 1833 his
father, Hiram Kennicott, a native of Albany,
and for some years a resident of New Orleans,
settled in Illinois. When very young he read
law and, by special act of legislature, was ad-
mitted to the bar before he was of age, after
which he engaged in practice in New Orleans.



596



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



However, after removing to Illinois, lie became
the owner of a sawmill and several stores, and
later engaged in the dairy business. He was a
prominent and influential man, and, while not
seeking office for himself, was active in assisting
his friends and was one whose advice was sought
for. By his marriage to Eugenia Ransom, mem-
ber of an old family of Buffalo, there were
born twelve children; all are still living, and the
oldest is sixty-one, while the youngest is more
than thirty. They are named as follows: Ransom,
a retired first lieutenant, U. S. A. ,and colonel of the
Thirty-seventh Illinois Infantry during the Civil
war, now living retired in Chicago; Geoige, who
was a captain in the Thirty-seventh Illinois In-
fantry , and is now with the Chicago & Alton Rail-
road in Chicago; Frank L. ; Rose; Harold, a
farmer at Delta, Colo. ; Mary, wife of Frederick C.
Hale, of Chicago; Lillie, who married H. D.
Smith and resides in Denver; William, who
carries on a fruit business in Colorado, his home
being at Delta; Victor, in Denver; James, a
ranchman at Delta; Clarence, a farmer and fruit-
grower at Delta; and Eugenia, Mrs. Jesse Hart,
of Delta.

The education of our subject was obtained in
public schools and a commercial college. For
three years he was employed in the custom house
in Chicago. When twenty-three years of age he
went to Texas and began to raise cotton and
sugar cane, but owing to the ravages of the army
worm the venture was a failure. Returning to
Illinois, he worked on his father's farm for two
years, after which he went to Wyoming, expect-
ing to secure work in the building of the Union
Pacific Railroad, but in this he was disappointed.
Not wanting to return east, he secured work in a
camp and later was employed in cutting cord
wood. In 1867, at the solicitation of his brother,
who was with him, he returned to Illinois, but
his personal preference inclined him toward re-
maining on the frontier. He worked in his
father's cheese factory until the spring of 1871,
when he came to Colorado, and here he has since
engaged in farm pursuits and the stock business.
He is a stockholder in the Wet Mountain Cream-
ery at Westcliffe, and is also interested in min-
ing, as a stockholder in the Bull Domingo mine
in Custer County.

For six years Mr. Kennicott has served as
county commissioner, to which office he was
elected on the Republican ticket. In 1871 he
married Mary Thorp, by whom he had a daugh-



ter, Mary I,ouise. After the death of this wife
he was again married, March 22, 1882, being
united with Minnie, daughter of Charles Smith,
of Cleveland, Ohio. They have two children,
Eugenia Ransom and Anna Townsend.



H'



ON. MICHAEL BESHOAR, M. D., a pio-
neer of '67 in Trinidad, has long been one
of the most influential citizens of this place,
with the growth and progress of which he has
been intimately associated. Not alone in his pro-
fession, but also in political life and the newspa-
per business he has attained prominence. In
1 88 1 he established the Advertiser, a well-known
paper of Trinidad, which he conducted until 1897,
and then sold. With the exception of General
West, of Golden, he is the oldest editor in the en-
tire state. He is also, in point of years of prac-
tice, the oldest physician in Trinidad, as well as
one of the oldest in Colorado.

Dr. Beshoar was born and reared near Lewis-
town, Mifflin County, Pa., a son of Daniel and
Susan (Rothrock) Beshoar. His father, who was
a native of Cumberland County, Pa. , followed
farming as his life occupation, and also engaged
in speculating to some extent. He died in Indi-
ana at the age of sixty-five, and his wife, in Penn-
sylvania, in 1848, when thirty-five 5'earsofage.
Of their ten children, four are living: Michael,
Anna, Hannah and Asenath. Our subject was ed-
ucated in public schools and Tuscarora Academy,
at Academia. At eighteen years of age he began
to study medicine under Drs. Hoover and Morse,
in his native county, and afterward attended the
Philadelphia Medical College, Jefferson Medical
College and the medical department of the Uni-
versity of Pennsylvania, finally graduating from
the University of Michigan in 1853, with the de-
gree of M. D.

The doctor's first location for practice was at
Pocahontas, Ark. , where he remained for ten
years. In 1861 he acted as surgeon of the Sev-
enth Arkansas Infantry, and in 1862 became med-
ical director of General Hardy's command. After
the battle of Shiloh he was transferred to the de-
partment of the Mississippi and continued to
serve until the fall of 1863, when he was captured
with "Jeff' Thompson and his quartermaster.
He was given his liberty in the city of St. Louis
under bond, and while there, a prisoner under
bond, he took a post-graduate course in the St.
Louis Medical College. Meantime he became
convinced that the southern cause was hopeless



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



597



and that surrender might as well be made at
once, thus saving thousands of lives. On being
released as a prisoner of war, he agreed to at-
tend the refugee women and children at Benton
Barracks, having been solicited to take this work
by Dr. Madison Mills. As acting assistant sur-
geon he was connected with the St. Louis post
hospital, and Jefferson Barracks hospital, after
which he was placed in charge of the post hospi-
tal at Fort Kearnej', Neb., and at the same time
was made medical purveyor for all the territories.

Resigning this position in the fall of 1866, Dr.
Beshoarcame to Pueblo, Colo., and opened the first
drug store ever established between Denver and
Santa Fe. In 1868 he established the only news-
paper in that town, which paper is now the well-
known Pueblo Chieftain. From Pueblo he came
to Trinidad in 1867, however, still continuing his
newspaper business in the former city. The trip
between the two towns he made on horseback in
one and one-half days. In the fall of 1 867 he was
elected to the territorial legislature (capital at
Golden) , but was defrauded out of his seat by
the opposing party. He has made Trinidad his
home since 1869 and has been actively engaged
in the practice of his profession.

Politically a Democrat, on his party ticket Dr.
Beshoar has been elected county assessor, county
coroner, county clerk and county judge (which
office he filled for seven years) and he is now
serving his fourth term as county superintendent
of schools. At the first state election, in'1876,
he was the regular Democratic nominee for lieu-
tenant-governor. Afterward he served for one
term in the lower house of the state legislature.
Prior to the war he also served two terms as a
member of the Arkansas legislature. He was the
first vice-president of the Trinidad Chamber of
Commerce, which position he now holds. Be-
sides his landed interests in Arkansas and Colo-
rado he has extensive raining interests in Mexico,
having purchased one of the famous old mines
there known as the Temerosa mine.

The Las Animas County and Colorado State
Medical Societies, American Medical Association
and American Public Health Association number
Dr. Beshoar among their members, and he is also
a member of the Pan-American Medical Congress.
Fraternally he is a member of Las Animas Lodge
No. 28, A. F. & A. M., in which he is past mas-
ter and which he represents in the grand lodge;
also the Colorado Consistory, Scottish Rite, and
socially he is connected with the Trinidad Club.



In 1872 he married Anna E. Maupin, and they



Online LibraryChicago Chapman Publishing CompanyPortrait and biographical record of the state of Colorado, containing portraits and biographies of many well known citizens of the past and present → online text (page 85 of 212)