Chicago Standard Genealogical Publishing Company.

A Volume of memoirs and genealogy of representative citizens of northern California, including biographies of many of those who have passed away online

. (page 100 of 108)
Online LibraryChicago Standard Genealogical Publishing CompanyA Volume of memoirs and genealogy of representative citizens of northern California, including biographies of many of those who have passed away → online text (page 100 of 108)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of the descenclants still reside in the old Bay state, Maine and New York.
Gustave Hayford, the father of the subject of this sketch, was born in Maine.
He married iMiss Lelfa Barrows, a native of Plymouth, Massachusetts, and a
direct descendant of Miles Standish. Gustave Hayford was a merchant and
manufacturer of farm implements and later in life a farmer. He came to Cali-
fornia in 1856 and after some time spent in this state returned to the east, but
again came to California in 1879 and resided in Colfax until the time of his
death, which occurred in the ninety-third year of his age. His wife died in
1878, aged seventy-five years.

The son, James Barrows Hayford, was educated in the public schools in
Canton and came to California in 1859. At the opening of the Civil war, in
answer to President Lincoln's call for volunteers, he resigned his position, pay-
ing six dollars per day, and enlisted at San Francisco, March 18, 1863. Three
of his brothers were already in the army. He was first in a California battal-
ion, which was sent east and mustered into Company M, Second Massachu-
setts Volunteer Cavalry. He was under General Augur in the defense of Wash-
ington and later served under General Sheridan. Being sent to Washington
to return some horses, in company with .some of his regiment he was captured
nnd was in Libby prison for three months, after which he was sent to Belle
Isle. When he was finally exchanged he was a mere skeleton, only weighing



764 REPRESEXTATIVE CITIZENS

ninety-five pounds. He was in ill health for two years following and has never
fully regained his health.

Upon his discharge from the army, ^Ir. Hayford took up his residence in
Boston and remained there until 1869. That year he removed to California and
became engaged in a shipping and commission business, freighting goods to
Grass Valley and other points. He continued in that business until 1876, when
the narrow gauge railroad was built to Xevada City. Accompanied hy his
family he went to the Centennial at Philadelphia in 1876, and spent a season
in visiting his relatives and old friends. Returning he engaged in the drug
business in Sacramento for several years and also dealt in general merchandise.
On account of his wife's failing health, he retired from business aiid removed
to Colfax to secure a higher altitude. The change in climate, however, did not
benefit Mrs. Hayford and she died after a residence of seven months at that
place.

■\Ir. Hayford was married, in 1872, to IMiss Mary J. Innis. of Easton,
Pennsylvania. Two daughters were born to them, Lula AI. and Efl'a M.. both
of whom are at home with their father. Mr. Hayford has one hundred and
sixty acres of land on which are three thousand five hundred fruit trees, com-
prising a large variety of choice fruits, most of which are apples and pears.
He is one of the pioneer fruit-growers in this part of the state.

In politics Mr. Hayford has always been a stalwart Republican. He was
under sheriff of Placer county for four years under Sheriff' Butler, and in 1896
he was chosen supervisor of the county, which ofifice he is now creditably filling.
He has always been deeply interested in all that pertains to the welfare of Placer
county. Fraternally he is identified with tiie ^Masonic order, having been made
a Master ]\lason in Colfax, in 1872. He has been an active member of the
blue lodge ami has been high priest of the chapter three terms.

JAMES MAHOX.

James Mahon, of Colfax, Placer county. California, came to the state in
1849. He was born in Oswego county. New York, in 1832. Jolm and Cath-
erine (^McLaughlin) Mahon. his parents, were both born in Ireland. Leaving
Dublin, in which city they were married, they came to the United States in
1826 and located in Oswego, New York, where Mr. Mahon was engagetl as
a ship chandler. There were seven children in the family, of whom two are
now living. Both the father and mother are now deceased. -\Ir. Mahon died in
1864, ha\-ing attained the age of sixty-eight \'ears, and his wife passed away
in 1870, aged sixty-five years.

The subject of this sketch was educated in the public schools of his native
cit\-. \\'hen seventeen years of age he went to New York city, intending to
become a ship carpenter, but on his arrival there he heard of the great gold
discoveries in California and determined to seek his fortune in the west. With
a friend he embarked on the ship Queen of the West and worked his way
around the Horn to the Golden Gate, the journey requiring six months" time.
On the 1 2th day of July, 1849, he landed in San Francisco and on leaving this



OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. 7G5

city went to Sacramento and finally to [Murphy's Camp. At the latter place he
was paid se\en dollars per day for his labor. He next went to Coloma, where
he worked for a short time and then took up his residence in Auburn, Placer
county, where he was engaged in carrying water to the mines at a salary of
fi\e dollars per day. Later he worked in several of the early mining camps,
jNIichigan Blufif, Forest Hill and Yonker Jim's and also had claims of his
own. which paid from ten to fifty dollars per day. Occasionally he found nug-
gets worth one hundred dollars. He continued mining until 1859 and then
engaged in teaming, hauling brick to Auburn. In 1861 he became the proprie-
tor of a saloon in Auburn and later was interested in saloons at Clipper Gap,
Colfax and Alta. He now owns the Railroad saloon at Colfax. •

Mr. Mahon was married, in 1873, to Miss Ellen Ballen, of San Francisco,
a native of New Orleans. They have one son, John Thomas Mahon. Although
^ir. Mahon is a Democrat, he is nevertheless liberal in his views. He is a well
preserved '49er and an excellent specimen of the many brave sons Ireland lias
furnished the Unitetl States and California.

J.V:\IES GLEASOX.

Back to the stanch old Irish stock does Mr. Gleason trace his lineage, and
that in his character abide those sterling qualities which ha\e ever marked the
true type of the Irish nation, is manifest when we come to consider the more
salient points in his life history, which has been one marked by consecuti\-e
industry, inx'incible spirit. sturd\- loyalty and unwavering honor. — all of which
have eventuated most naturally in securing him a ])osition in the respect and
esteem of his fellow men.

James Gleason has been a resident of California since 1855 and is now liv-
ii.g at Iowa Hill. He is a native of Tipperary county, Ireland, born on the
25th of October, 1825. His parents. Michael and Elizabeth (Hannay) Glea-
son, were also natives of the Emerald Isle, were industrious and respected farm-
ing people and were devout members of the Catholic church. The father
departed this life in the sixtieth year of his age and his estimable wife attaineil
the very advanced age of ninety. They had six sons and three daughters, four
of whom are living; two at the old home in Ireland; Mrs. Margaret Brenan.
of Rhode Island : and James, of this review.

The last named was educated in his natixe countr}-. but in 1851 he bade
adieu to home and friends preparatory to sailing for the new world. He crossed
the Atlantic to New York, where he arrived on the 5th of July. 1851. and there
he worked for wages until the 12th of April, 1855, when, imbued with a com-
mendable desire to better his condition, he sailed for the Eldorado of the west,
making his way to California liy way of the Nicaragua route. He arrived
safely in San Francisco on the 8th of May, his capital consisting merely of a
good constitution and a pair of willing hands. He worked on a farm for four
months for sixty dollars per month and then, desiring to try his fortune in
the gold diggings, he went to iMurphy's Camp, in Calaveras county, working
for wages in ])lacer mines. Later he started on foot for Iowa Hill, work-



REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS



ing his -way to Carranto and finally reaching his destination. He carried with
him seven hundred dollars in gold in a belt. He was strong of limb and fear-
less of heart and he carried no weapons, unlike most of the men of the time,
feeling that if he needed to defend himself he could do it with the stones which
were plentifully strewn over California's surface. He arrived in safety, how-
ever, at Iowa Hill, on the 12th of November. 1855, and for forty-five years has
lieen one of the intelligent, industrious and successful citizens of the town.
\\'hen he reached this place he began working for wages as a miner but. later
secured the position of manager of the ditch which conveyed water to the mine
and to the town. In 1883 he became the owner of the ditch and the water-right
and has since been sole proprietor and manager. The ditch is about fifty miles
in length and is a very valuable property, owing to the fact that the water sup-
ply for this section of the country must be brought from the mountains.

In 1861 Mr. Gleason was united in marriage to Miss Marcella Reid, a
native of county Tipperary, Ireland. She came to California in 1859 and has
been a faithful helpmate to her husband, a good wife and a loving and indul-
gent mother. They have three children : Michael, who is now in charge of
his father's large ditch interests and is also connected with mining; Mary, an
accomplished daughter who is at home with her parents, caring for them in
their declining years; and Eliza, wdio is now the wife of P. J. Sullivan, of
San Francisco.

The parents are strong adherents of the Catholic faith. They are a worthy
old couple now well advanced in years and in the evening of life are enjoying
many comforts which liave come to them through the efforts of Mr. Gleason.
He did not win a fortune in a short time by finding rich gold deposits, but
through his earnest and persistent labor he has year by year added to his cap-
ital until he now has a very comfortable competence.

ALBERT G. READ.

Albert G. Read, a highly respected California pioneer of 1850 and a prom-
inent merchant of Forest Hill, has resided in the town and vicinity for a period
of fifty 3'ears. He is a native of New England, born in Boston, Massachusetts,
March 11, 1830, and is descended from the early Puritan settlers of that sec-
tion of the country, the Reads having come from England to America and
located in Massachusetts in 1645. Several generations of the family were born
in Boston. The grandfather and father of Albert G. both bore the name of
Davis Read and were natives of Boston. The former was a soldier in the Revo-
lutionary war, participating in the battle of Bennington, and attained the ripe
age of eighty-eight years. Davis Read, Jr., married Lucinda Davis, a native
of Salem, Massachusetts, and a descendant of Welsh ancestry, her forefathers
also having been among the early settlers of New England. His age at death
was eighty-four years, and his wife passed away at the age of seventy-six.
For many years they had resided in Walesburg. Vermont, where he was a
prominent and influential citizen and where he filled the office of selectman of



OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. 767

the town. They were the parents of twelve children, only four of whom sur-
vive at this writing, Albert G. being the youngest.

Albert G. Read received an academic education, and in his youth learned
the trade of tanner and currier, three generations of the family having followed
that business. The gold discovery in California caused him to leave home and
friends and face the dangers of a voyage around the Horn. He sailed from
Boston, October 31, 1849, ^"tl arrived in San Francisco, April 7, 1850. There
were plenty of ships in that harbor without crews, the sailors all having gone to
the mountains in cjuest of gold. He set up his tent near where the Cosmonolitan
Hotel now stands, and remained there four months in charge of a lumber yard.
Lumber was brought there by lighters from the east ancL was sold for one
hundred and thirty dollars per thousand feet. In the month of August he, with
a compan}^ set out for the mountains to find a claim, taking their goods on a
pack mule and stopping first at a point near Georgetown. His first year's min-
ing on the river was attended with poor success, owing to the fact that he did
not understand the business. Later he, with others, flumed the river and met
with better success. After the flume was completed for a distance of a mile
and a half and the miners in the locality were numerous, Mr. Read boarded a
hundred of them ; but at the end of the season the failure in this mining enter-
])rise was so complete that the men could not pay him their board-bills and he
lust hea\-ily. Some of them asked him for work, wishing to pay their indebted-
ness in that way, and as the flume was abandoned he set them to the task of
gathering up the lumber and piling it on the bank of the river. After this was
accomplished the freshet carried oft' a part of the timber. J\Iost of it was saved,
however, being securely fastened with ropes, and four months later he sold it
for fourteen thousand dollars.

That winter Mr. Read had a pack train composed of twenty mules that
brought supplies from Hoboken, the freight on the same being twenty-five cents
per pound. He was located on the middle fork at Big Bar, and from that point
his train made four trips during the winter, the snow at times being six feet
deep. At Mount Gregory he paid fifty cents per pound for beans, with which
he fed his boarders. Their chief articles of food were beans, bacon, potatoes,
beef and cofYee. Board was fourteen dollars per week for each person. In the
fall of 1853 he sold out and went to Todd's Valley and engaged in merchan-
dising, dealing in miners' supplies, making money rapidly and remaining there
until 1865. While there he built a large brick store building, which still stands.
He established himself as a merchant in Forest Hill in 1887, and has done a
]:)rosperous business here ever since. During his long career as a merchant
Mr. Read has spent much money in diiYerent mining enterprises. Many tun-
nels in which he was interested proved failures and most of his money invested
in them was lost. His object, however, was to do what he could to develop the
mines of the county, and as he has assisted in accomplishing this his money
has not been spent in vain.

In 1867 Mr. Read was happily married to Miss Emma Moody, a native
of Pennsylvania, wdio traveled life's pathway with him for nearly three decades,
but died in 1894. Of the children I)orn to them only one survives — Walter



768 REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS

C. Read, now a resident of Xewark, New Jersey, where he is engaged in the
manufacture of brushes. He is an inventor also, much of the machinery in liis
factory being of his own invention.

Pohtically the subject of our sketch lias been a Republican e\er since the
organization of the party, and to him belongs the distinction of having helped
to organize the Republican party in his locality. He was a member of the first
Republican convention held in Placer county. He has long been identified with
the Masonic order, having been made a Master ]\Iason in Todd's \'alley, in
1867, since which time he has been an actixe and efticient member of that time-
honored organization.

EXOCH E. SCOTT.

Enuch E. Scott has been a leading factor in the business interests nf Iowa
Hill for many years and his efforts ha\-e contributed in a large measure to its
commercial activity. He is a stockholder and manager of the large mercantile
■company of that town, and the reputation which he enjoys in business circles
is unassailable. Mr. Scott was born in Toronto, Canada, on the 2d of Jan-
-ary, 1861. and is of Scotch lineage. His parents were Seth and Susan B.
(Foote) Scott, the former a native of Scotland and the latter of Canada. Their
farm was situated on the boundar}' line between Canada and the United States.
lying partly in the British province and partly in this republic. In 1868 they
5old that property and removed to Detroit, Michigan, and there the father
engaged in dealing in live stock. His wife died in 1869, at the age of forty-four
3'ears, leaving to her husband the care of their four children, namely: Henr\-
S., Walter D.. Enoch E. and Harriet. In 1874 the family removed to Sacra-
mento, California, and the father died in Napa City, this state, on the ist of
November, 1898. at the age of seventy-six years. He and his faithful wife
Avere members of the Episcojjal church and were people of the highest
respectability.

Their son, Enoch E. Scott, was educated in the Pierce Christian College
and he entered upon his mercantile experience as a clerk. Later he embarked
in business on his own account in Colusa county, where he remained for tweri-
ty-two years, and in 1896 he came to Iowa Hill. For a time he acted as man-
ager of the firm of ^\'eber & Company, of Sacramento, and on their retirement
he became connected with the mercantile company of which he has since been
manager. This is a stock company, composed of the following named : Sey-
mour W'aterhouse. president: E. \\"aterhouse, vice-president; and Enoch E.
Scott, secretary and manager. They have a large store and carry a complete
.stock of general merchandise, hauling their own goods. They have two large
freight wagons, each drawn by six horses, and these are almost constantly on
the road, bringing the merchandise from the railroad at Colfax to the store at
Iowa Hill. Mr. Scott and the company with which he is connected Ifax-e alsD
various mining interests and are actively engaged in the development of the
rich drift mine on which the prosperity of the county now largely depends.



OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. 769

In 1888 Mr. Scott wedded Miss Minnie Leggett, of Columbia, Missouri,
and their union has been blessed with a son and daughter, — Allen E. and
Florence E. Mr. Scott is a \-alued member of the Masonic fraternity and is
past master of the blue lodge in Colusa, of which he has been a member since
1887. In his political sentiment he is a Democrat, but is an independent voter.
He indeed deserves mention among Iowa Hill's most prominent merchants and
among her representative citizens and should find a place in the history of the
men of business and enterprise in the great west wdiose force of character,
strength, integrity, control of circumstances and whose marked success in estab-
lishing great mdustries, have contributed in such an eminent degree to the so-
lidit_\- and progress of the entire county.

WILLI.V^I REA.

William Rea. one of California's prominent pioneers, residing at Forest
Hill, came to the state in 1854. He is a native of the state of Maine, born
on the 25th of March, 1833, of English ancestry. His parents, Robert and
IMary (Hawks) Rea, were born in England, and in early life emigrated to
Xew Brunswick, Canada, where they were subsequently married, and whence
they crossed the 1x)undary line into Maine, where he followed the occupation
of millwright for many years. He died in the sixty-fifth year of his age and
she reached the ripe age of eighty-four years. They were the parents of tweh'e
children, nine of whom reached maturity and of that numl)er three sons and
a daughter are now living.

William was the sixth born in the above family, and in his native state
was reared and educated, learning in his youth the business of saw-milling, his
father owning and operating a saw-mill. On reaching his majority young
Rea left home and came west to California, making the journey by way of
Xew York city and the isthmus of Panama. Having arrived in the Golden
state, he first located in Greenwood Valley. He afterward went to Sacra-
mento Valley and was at Lake Park four months, while there helping to build
a sawmill, after which he came to the Forest Hill Divide. For a few months
he worked for wages at this place, then purchased some hor.ses and engaged
in teaming, doing job work, which he found more profitable than working
for wages. Later he bought a saw-mill, and for twenty-five years was engaged
in the manufacture of lumber. .At the end of that time he rented the Forest
House and turned his attention to the hotel business, which he condticted suc-
cessfully for a number of years. The Forest House he conducted five years,
after which he built the large Rea Hotel in Forest Hill, the same being con-
ducted under his own personal management until 1896. That year he rented
his hotel and retired from active business, taking advantage of that period
of rest which should come at the close of every busy, active life, .\nother
successful business venture in which Mr. Rea has long been engaged and which
has l)een a profitable one for many a California pioneer, is that of staging.
For twenty vears he has been interested in a stage route, his line of operation
being from Forest Hill to Auburn, and from Colfax to Forest Hill and !\Iichi-



770 REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS

gan Bluffs. Progressive, enterprising, lionorable and upright in all his busi-
ness transactions, Air. Rea has had a successful career, acquiring at the same
time a competency and a host of warm friends.

In his native state he married Miss Augusta Rice, b}- whom he had two
children, one of whom was killed by an accident in his father's mill, while the
other, James F., is a mining man in California. After seven years of happy
married life Airs. Rea died, and in 1863 Air. Rea wedded for his second wife
Aliss Ann Allen, of St. John. The children of this union are five, namely:
Elida, wife of George W. Alurdock, a resident of Port Henry, Xew York;
Alinnie, at home; Ida, wife of Thomas Brown, of Bath, Alaine; and \\'illiam
H.. a resident of Forest Hill. In his pleasant home in this sunny land Air.
Rea is surrounded with all that goes to make life happy. Politically, Air.
Rea has always been in harmony with the principles advocated by the Repub-
lican party and has given his support to it. Fraternally, he is a member of
the Ancient Order of United Workmen, being a charter member of the lodge
at Forest Hill.

OSBORNE J. SPEXCER.

Osborne J. Spencer, who resides at Iowa Hill, Placer county, is a rej^re-
sentative of that great band of emigrants who came to California in 1852.
An almost countless throng oroceeded across the plains or came by steamer.
He was born in the city of Cork, Ireland, on the nth of June, 1829. his par-
ents being Edward and Alargaret (Oslrarne) Spencer. They were married
in their native country and in 1844 emigrated to the United States, bring-
ing with them their five children. They settled in Cincinnati, Ohio, and
the father, who had been a substantial farmer of the Emerald isle, brought
with him to America a snug sum of money which he deposited in a Cincin-
nati bank. That institution failed, however, and he accordingly lost his
money. In 1858 he returned with his wife to Ireland, where they had prop-
ertv interests, and he died in the land of his nativity, in 1863, at the age of
sixty-three years. Her death occurred in Cincimiati, when she was about the
same age.

Air. Spencer of this review was educated in his native land and was a
dealer in flour and grain. He also engaged in farming on the Emerald isle
prior to his emigration to the United States. His brother, Edward George
Spencer, had gone to California in i8;o, and acting on his advic: the sub-
ject of this review made his way to Xew Orleans and sailed thence for the
Golden state, making the journey bv ^yay of the Xicarauga route to San Fran-
cisco, where he arrived in July. The'voyage was accomplished in safety, but
before reaching their destination all the passengers on board were put on short
allowance of food and water. At Corn island they went ashore to get wacer
and Air. Spencer and others purchased a boat, which they loaded with fruit, —
oranges and pineapples. — selling the same on the brig. They then came up
the Xagora ri\-er on their own boat and opposite Lake X^icaragua took another
sailinsf vessel for San Francisco.



OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. 771

On the 14th of July, 1850, Mr. Spencer went to Grass Valley, Nevada
county, where he met his brother. He engaged in mining at Pike Valley in
connection witli William Watts, and after mining for a year secured a situa-
tion in a saw-mill, receiving in compensation for his services his board and
one hundred dollars per month. Afterward he and his brother built a saw-mill
two and a half miles from Iowa Hill, equipping it with steam power and a
circular saw, and in the operation of this enterprise made considerable money."
They were paid fifty-five dollars for each hundred feet of rough lumlDer. They
began the operation of the mill in 1854 and continued to conduct it success-
fully for a quarter of a centur}-. They also purchased a mill three miles from



Online LibraryChicago Standard Genealogical Publishing CompanyA Volume of memoirs and genealogy of representative citizens of northern California, including biographies of many of those who have passed away → online text (page 100 of 108)