Chicago Standard Genealogical Publishing Company.

A Volume of memoirs and genealogy of representative citizens of northern California, including biographies of many of those who have passed away online

. (page 104 of 108)
Online LibraryChicago Standard Genealogical Publishing CompanyA Volume of memoirs and genealogy of representative citizens of northern California, including biographies of many of those who have passed away → online text (page 104 of 108)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS



Eliza Ames, a native of \'ernioiU. and soon afterward they removed to Min-
nesota, becoming pioneers of that portion of the country. So new and wild
was the region that at one time they were obliged to take refuge in Fort
Snelling to escape massacre at the hands of the Indians. The father cleared
and developed a new farm in Minnesota, carrying on agricultural pursuits
until his death, which resulted from typhoid fever when he was in the forty-
fifth year of his age. He was a member of the Presbyterian church, to which
his wife also belongs. She still survives him and resides in San Francisco,
at the ag'e of seventy years, respected by all who have the pleasure of her
acquaintance. In the family were three sons and a daughter, and three of
the number are still living.

Samuel X(jrton W'hallon, the eldest child and the immediate subject of
this review, conned his lessons in the public schools of Minnesota, mastering
the branches of English learning usually taught in such institutions. When
quite young he began to earn his own living as a farm hand, continuing in
that line of work until his twentieth year wdien he learned the trade of a
steam and gas fitter in ^Minneapolis, Minnesota, following that pursuit in the
Mississippi valley for six years. In March, 1877, he came to California,
locating in Oakland, and was engaged in the package express business be-
tween San Francisco and Oakland for a short time. He then went to Truckee,
in the employ of the Truckee Lumber Company, and subsequently entered the
service of the Southern Pacific Railroad Company, with which he has been
connected since 1881. He served as locomotive fireman for six and a half
years, after which he was promoted to locomotive engineer, and during the
past tW'Clve years, or since 1888, he has been one of the most reliable and
competent engineers running on the Sacramento & Truckee division o\-er the
steep mountain grades of Placer county.

In 1884 Ml'- Whallon took up his residence in Rocklin and since that
time has been one of its liberal and progressive citizens, taking an active
interest in all that pertains to its welfare. He has erected one of the hand-
some cottages of the town and in it resides with his family. He was mar-
ried, in 1890, to Miss May Cady, a native of Illinois and a daughter of
Leonard Cady. formerly of that state. Their union is blessed with two inter-
esting children, — Clarence Norton and Ava Winone. Mr." A\'hallon is a
member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and in the Masonic
fraternity has attained the Royal Arch degree, while of the Odd Fellows lodge
he is also a representative. His political support is given the Democracy
and in April. 1900, he was chosen by his fellow townsmen as one of the
trustees of the town and is now officially serving in that capacity with due
regard to the best interests of Rocklin. laboring earnestly to promote its up-
building along all lines of progress.

M.XRTIN MICHAEL.

Martin Michael is the |)roprietor of the leading meat market of Lin-
coln, Placer county. A native of Missouri he was born in Gasconade, on the
17th of April, 1856. His ancestors came to America from the land of the



OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. 795

Alps. His parents. John and Mary (Gansner) Michael, \\ere both natives
of Switzerland, and during childhood were brought to the new world by their
emigrant parents. They were reared and married in Missouri, anc'l were
numbered among the industrial farming people of that state. They still
reside there, respected l)y all who know them for their many excellencies of
character. They hold memliership in the Congregational church and their
lives are consistent with their professions. Mr. Michael is now sixty-three
years of age and his wife is sixty-eight years of age. In the family were
seven children, of whom only three are now living.

Martin Michael is the only representative of the family in California.
He obtained his education in the public schools of Missouri, and when twenty-
one years of age started for the Golden state, arriving on the 28th of March,
1877. Here he began learning the butchering trade, working for wages for
three years, during which time he became very proficient in the line of his
chosen vocation. In 1880 he opened a meat market of his own in Auburn
and there carried on business for five years in a most successful manner. He
then came to Lincoln and during the past fifteen years has conducted the
leading meat market in this place, furnishing to his patrons an excellent
quality of meat at moderate prices, and by his industry and upright methods
he has secured not only the liberal supjxjrt of the public, but also enjoys the
esteem and good will of the business men and citizens of his town.

In 1885 Mr. Michael was united in marriage to Miss Florence V.
Meyers, one of Auburn's native daughters, her father being Judge Meyers,
of that city. They now ha\-e three interesting children : Benjamin Frank-
lin, John Leslie and Ellen Arline. They have a nice home of their own and
its gracious hospitality is enjoyed by a very large circle of friends. Mr.
Michael has taken the symbolic, capitular and cryptic degrees of Masonry and
is also a valued member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of the
Chosen Friends and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. On questions
of state and national importance he supports the Republican party, but at
local elections votes independently, for then no issue is involved and the fitness
of the candidates for the discharge of the county and state business is all that
should be considered. He is now serving as deputy sheriff and as a citizen,
ofiicer and business man he merits and enjoys the confidence and regard '>f
those with whom he is associated.

FRED. B. GRANT.

Fred. B. Grant, of Penryn, is one of California's native sons and is an
nnpiirtant factor in the business circles of the town, where he is well known
as the proprietor of the Grant Hotel. His birth occurred in Rich Gulch.
Placer county, on the 13th of August, 1857, his father being Elisha Grant,
who came to California in 1872 and is now one of the prominent pioneers of
the state. He was born in Prospect, Waldo county, Maine, on the 24th of
February. 181 5. His father, Elisha Grant, Sr., was born in the same town,
was a soldier in the war of 181 2, serving as a surgeon, and lived to the



796 REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS

advanced age of eighty-eight 3'ears. In early manhood he married Polly
Mudget, a native of Massachusetts.

Elisha Grant, the father of our subject, acquired his education in his
native town and after putting aside his text-books worked for the go\-ern-
ment at Fort Knox for six years. In 1852 he sailed around Cape Horn to
California. They saw much rough weather, and in a severe storm the fore-
mast of the ship was carried away and they were obliged to stop at Rio
Janeiro for repairs, and there secured a new mast. This caused a delay of a
month at that point. Upon arriving in California Mr. Grant engaged in
mining on Yuba river, at Rose's Bar, where he was paid iive dollars per day,
but the cholera became prevalent and he left there in August, spending the
winter in the mountains. He engaged in mining at Deer Creek, in Penn
valley, but his efforts were attended with poor results and he went to
Calaveras county, engaging in mining operations at Rich Gulch. He had
been married in the east, in 1849, to Miss Dorothea Blake, who after his
removal to the Pacific coast sold their property in Maine and joined her hus-
band in Rich Gulch, coming by way of the isthmus route and bringing with
her their first born child, Ellen, who is now a widow. Subsecpiently Mr.
Grant engaged in mining at Mokelumne Hill, where he took out consider-
able gold, his largest nugget weighing two ounces. In 1863 he arrived at
Penryn and engaged in quarrying granite for G. Griffith. He had been in
the hotel business in Calaveras county from 1856 until he came to Placer
county; in 1873 he built and opened the Grant Hotel in Penryn. which he
successfully conducted until 1895, when his wife died and he turned over the
hotel business to his son. Fred B., who has since been its manager. The
father has supported the Republican party since its organization and socially
he is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights
of Pythias fraternity. During his long residence in California he has become
widely known to its pioneer settlers and to the later arrivals, and enjoys the
high regard of those with whom he comes in contact.

Fred B. Grant attended school at Mokelumne Hill and for six years was
engaged in work in the quarry in Calaveras county. He afterward secured a
situation as brakeman on the railroad, in which capacity he was employed
for two years, and was also a fireman on the division of the Southern Pacific
from Sacramento to Truckee. He served as deputy assessor of Placer
county for four years and filled the office of constable for six years. He is a
man of much ability who seems to have inherited the talent of his grand-
father, of whom it was said that "he could make anything or do almost any-
thing." He has done much building and painting and other kinds of work
and is now engaged in taking the census of his district, at the same time con-
ducting the Grant Hotel, of which he is the popular host, doing all in his
power to ]5romote the comfort of his guests.

Mr. Grant was married, in 1878, to Miss V. A. Logan, a native of
Penryn and a stepdaugliter of J. A. Griffith, wdio was a prominent citizen of
Penryn. l)ut is now deceased. Her own father was Edward Logan. Their
children are Svdna V.. Eddie Elisha, Effie Alabel, Freddie and Dorothv. Mr.



OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA.



797



Grant is a stalwart Republican and is a prominent representative of several
fraternal organizations, including the Independent Order of Odd Fellows,
the Knights of Pythias and the Knights of the Maccabees. He is a man
of fine personal appearance, of attractive face and large physique, and his
social qualities and pleasant disposition render him particularly well (|uali-
lied to conduct the hotel of which he is now proprietor.

J.VMES M. \\'ALDEX.

Among the early arrivals in California after the discovery of gold was
made was James Madison Walden, who came to the state in 1859 and is now
a valued resident of Rocklin. A native of Georgia, he was born in the city
of Macon, Xo\-ember 3, 1842, and that state was the birthplace of several
generations of the family. His paternal grandparents reared their children
in that state, among the number being James Walden, the father of our sub-
ject, who was born and reared there. After arriving at the years of matur-
ity he wedded Miss Matilda Tuchri, also a native of Georgia, and by their
union there were three daughters and three sons. The wife died when her
son James M. was only three years of age, and the father departed this life
in the fifty-second year of his age. He had removed to Alabama where he
was the owner of a plantation and he became one of the widely and favor-
ably known citizens of that state.

James Madison Walden was educated and- reared to manhood in Ala-
bama, and when only seventeen years of age he came to California by steamer
from New Orleans, landing at San Francisco. A desire to see the country
was the principal reason that led him to the Pacific coast. From San Fran-
cisco he made his way to Sacramento where he was induced to accept a clerk-
ship with an auctioneer, and in i860 he came to a farm within three miles
of Rocklin. He worked at different places and engaged in teaming from
Sacramento to the different mining towns, including Virginia City and
Carson. That was then a paying business for there were no railroad facilities
and the freight rate was quite heavy. In 1864 Mr. Walden accepted a clerk-
shiD in the store of Smith & Hobbel, at Smithville, wliere he continued until
1867, when he went to Newcastle. Placer countv, where he was engaged in
the livery-stable business. In 1868 he engaged in hauling stone at a quarry,
and the following year he became a salesman in a store owned b\- L. G.
Smith, at Rocklin.

.\fter his marriage, which occurred in 1870. he conducted a hotel in
Rocklin for a short time, and in June, of that year, entered the employ of the
Southern Pacific Railroad Company, with which he was connected as loco-
moti\-e fireman until 1872. He then removed to Loomis and was in the
employ of William Ouinn until the fall of 1873, when he was elected con-
stable of township No. 9. In March of 1874, he entered ujwn the duties of
his office and in 187.S lie was elected to the same nositinn. l)eing again chosen
for that place in 1879, 1882, 1884. 1886 and 1888. That he "discharged his
duties in the most prompt and satisfactory manner is indicated by his long



798 REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS

continuance in a position tiiat is lield through iMpular suffrage. He was
fearless, earnest and rehable and received the commendation of all law-
abiding citizens. In 1890 he was elected to the office of justice of the peace
and in 1894 was re-elected to the same position in which he served continu-
ously until 1899. His decisions were strictly fair and impartial, and such
was his ability and knowledge of the law that his judgment was never once
reversed by the higher court. He was entirely without prejudice in adminis-
tering justice, basing his points upon the law and the evidence introduced.
In 1893 he was appointed clerk of the city of Rocklin and in that position,
by re-election, has been continued since. For the past ten years he has
served as a notary public, appointed bj' the different governors of California,
and he is also the health officer of Rocklin.

On the 15th of February, 1870. ]\Ir. W'alden was united in marriage
to Miss Hannah Ryon, of Auburn. Their married life was a happy one for
six years, being then terminated by the death of the wife, whereby Air.
Walden was left with the care of his five children, namely : Herbert James,
Albert Madison, Lester, Violet Joseph and Meh'in John. On the 19th of
April, 1890, ]\Ir. W'alden wedded Mrs. Carrie Gillis, a widow who had one
child, Ernest, by her former marriage. Our subject and his estimable wife
are valued members of the Congregational church, in which he is serving
as treasurer and as president of the board of trustees. He does all in his
power to promote the work of the church in its various branches and con-
tributes liberally to its support. As a public official he has made for him-
self a most enviable record. He has ever retired from office as he entered
it. with the confidence and good will of his fellow men, and his services ha\'e
ever been a public benefit. His career shows the power of hone;ty and
fidelit}- in winning prominence and success in life.

LEAXDER L. LEWIS.

Rising above the heads of the mass there has always been a .series of
individuals distinguished beyond others, who by reason of their pronounced
ability and forceful personality have always commanded the homage of their
fellow men, and who have re\-ealed to the world those two resplendent virtues
of a lordly race, — perse\'erance in purpose and a directing spirit which ne\er
fails. Throughout all the great west have been found men who have marked
with deeds the vanishing traces of swift-rolling time and whose names are
kept green in the memory of those who have cognizance of their lives and
accomplishments. Mr. Lewis is one whose identification with the interests
of Sacramento have been of the greatest public benefit. He has been the
promoter of many of the enterprises which have contributed in large degree
to the city's welfare, i^rogress and prosperity, and while promoting his indi-
vidual success he has been the means of securing marked advancement in the
capital city and of aiding many of his fellow men to secure an honest liveli-
hood by furnishing them with remunerative em]iloyment.

I\lr. Lewis was born in Genesee countv. New York, in 1831, but spent



OF XORTHERN CALIFORNIA. 799

much of his childhood in Arcade, Wyoming ciainty. where lie was rcaretl
on a farm, early becoming familiar with the labors t)f field and meadow.
Through the summer months he followed the pknv and in the autumn as-
sisted in harvesting the crops. He was then permitted to attend the district
schiiols where he laid the foundation for the keen mental grasp of affairs
which lias been one of the ixDtent elements of his success. His parents were
Timothy and Mary (Olmsted) Lewis, also nati\-es of New York. The
mother died in Genesee county, of the Empire state, and in 1844 the father
removed with his family to Belvidere, Illinois, where he died at the ad\-anced
age of eighty-seven years. He ser\-ed in the war of 1812 and yvnn the rank
of captain.

Our subject was a youth of only thirteen years at the time of their
emigration westward and through the succeeding fnur years he lived upon
the i)rairies of Illinois, after which he went to Iowa. However, about 1849.
he determined to learn the trade of the tinsmith and plumber and accord-
ingly he returned to Arcade, New York, where he entered the serxicc of
John Dillingham. There he remained until he had become an expert work-
man and had completed his three-years term of apprenticeshii^. In 1856
he started out as a journeyman and w^as thus employed until 1859. when he
came to California, making the journey by w'ay of the isthmus of Panama.
He arrived in Sacramento on the ist of December and joined his brother,
Sherman (i. Lewis, who had previously come to this state and was already an
active factor in its business interests. During his early years here he was
prominently connected with the journalistic ventures in California and es-
tablished and successfully conducted the Foot Hill Tidings, at Grass Valley,
■which became one of the leading agricultural and horticultural papers of
Nevada county, California. He afterward turned his attention to the culti-
vation and shipping of fruit, and also creditably filled many positions of
public trust. His death occurred in Grass Valley.

Soon after his arrival in Sacramento 'S\v. Lewis, of this review, ac-
cepted a position as tinner with the firm of Lord & Halbroo. proprietors of
the establishment of which Mr. Lewis is now the head. .After a year he
became a partner in the enterprise, in connection with H. Vaneberry, mider
the name of Lewis & Vaneberry, a connection that was maintained for two
years. Other changes afterward occurred in the ownership of the business,
and in 1872 Mr. Lewis became sole proprietor. Gradually his trade grew
until he is now the recognized leader in his line, and the firm of L. L.
Lewns & Company stands second to none on the Pacific coast. LInder his
wise and progressive, yet conservative management it has extended its fields
of operation until there is not a village or hamlet north of the Tehachepi in
wdiich the name of Lewis & Company is not well known. The firm enjoys
a most en\-iable reputation for reliable dealing and for exacting only such
profits as a legitimate use of cajntal in business justifies.

Mr. Lewis is a man of resourceful business ability whose efforts have
by no means been confined to one line of endea\-or. In various industrial and
commercial enterprises he has shown the ability to co])e with intricate com-



8oo REPRESEXTATIVE CITIZENS

mercial prolileiiis and to turn the tide of success, making unprofilable busi-
ness concerns prosperous, paying enterprises. His ability was soon recog-
nized, and his counsel and aid were sought in developing the material re-
sources of the state. In 1865 he operated quite extensively mining interests
in Alpine county and later in other counties, and to the control of the mines
lie gave much personal attention. No movement calculated to promote the
material welfare of Sacramento has ever sought his aid in vain and in many
enterprises he has borne an active part. His labors in advancing material in-
terests have been continuous and effective. In 1870 he became actively en-
gaged in organizing building and loan associations whereby many an honest
laborer has been enabled to provide his family with a comfortable home. He
was one of the first to advocate and assist in the organization of an electric
street railway company and continued his efforts in that direction until the
electric street railway was put into successful operation and is now the equal
of that found in any city of its size in the United States. The first line was
built from the Southern Pacific depot through J street and out to a suburban
tract known as Oak Park, where now hundreds of beautiful homes are to
be seen. From the time when he first became a resident of Sacramento Mr.
Le\\-is has been most zealous and earnest in advocating anything for its ex-
pansion along commercial lines, and to this end has been an active factor in
connection with the board of trade, the chamber of commerce and other
organizations for the de\-elopment of business interests in mercantile and
manufacturing departments. Many of the leading business concerns of the
city gladly acknowledge their indebtedness for successful establishment to
him. He is a director of the Sacramento Improvement Association, through
whose instrumentality marked progress has been made.

In 1866 i\Ir. Lewis was united in marriage to Miss Lerisa Corriger. of
Sonoma, and to them have been born three children : Mabel, Edna, and Alice.
For thirty-five years Mr. Lewis has been an exemplary member of the Ma-
sonic fraternity in which he has taken both the York and Scottish rite degrees.
He cast his first presidential vote in 1852, and since the organization of the
Republican party has been one of its stanch advocates. He has long been recog-
nized as one of the most able business men of Sacramento. His sagacity
and foresight enabling him to make judicious investments, while his diligence,
indomitaWe energy and undaunted perseverance won him a prosperity that
numbered him among the most substantial citizens, he has not only advanced
his individual interests, but has done much toward promoting the general
welfare by encouraging trade and commerce. His career, both public and
prixate. is marked by the strictest integrity and faithfulness to every trust
reiinsed in him. The record of his life is unclouded Iiy a shadow of wrong
or susjiiciiin nf evil.

GEORGE H. HILBERT.

The state had not passed the first decade of its existence as an organized
coinmiinwealth when George II. Hilbert became one of its native sons, his
birtli occurring in Placerville, h:id(.ra(lo countv, July 2\. \S-/'>. His father.



OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. 8oi

Charles Hilbert. the pioneer Ixinker of I-^lacerville, was Ijorn in Baden Baden,
Germany, and in 1834 came to Cahfornia, making the journey around Cape
Horn. Before leavini;' New York lie was married to Miss Elizabeth Shaw,
a lady of Irish linea,t;c. He had learned the banking- business in Germany,
and soon after his arri\al in i'lacerville he established a bank, which he has
i^ince conducted, the cnUT|ri-i>c lieing one of the most reliable and conservative
financial institutii ins in thi> part of the state. It has weathered many finan-
cial storms, thus demonstrating its strength and the trustworthiness of its
founder and manager, who has passed the seventy-third milestone on life's
journey but is still actively connected with the afifairs of business life. In
addition to his banking business he has ihruughout the greater part of his
residence in California engaged in mining with the usual success that has
attended the efforts of the Ijrave and [jersistent pioneer. His wife is also
living, sharing with him in the prosperity which has crowned his later years,
and to them have been born five children, all natives of Placerville, namely :
J. H., Lizzie, William Charles, Albert Greely and George H.

George H. Hilbert. the youngest son of the family, conned his lessons
in the Placerville public schools in early boyhood and afterward pursued an
academic cnurse in the academy at Placerville. conducted by E. B. Conklin.
For three \ears subsequent to leaving school he traveled in Nevada. Utah,
Idaho and Alontana, and also visited Seattle. Washington. After his re-
turn he was made deputy constable under J. G. Bailey, and deputy sheriff
under Thomas Gait, in 1884. As an officer he was very efficient and capable
and made for himself an enviable record in the murder case in which Colby
was killed by Frier, in 1885. He found and secured the wadding at the
scene of the murder and extracted the wadding from the other barrels of the



Online LibraryChicago Standard Genealogical Publishing CompanyA Volume of memoirs and genealogy of representative citizens of northern California, including biographies of many of those who have passed away → online text (page 104 of 108)