Chicago Standard Genealogical Publishing Company.

A Volume of memoirs and genealogy of representative citizens of northern California, including biographies of many of those who have passed away online

. (page 11 of 108)
Online LibraryChicago Standard Genealogical Publishing CompanyA Volume of memoirs and genealogy of representative citizens of northern California, including biographies of many of those who have passed away → online text (page 11 of 108)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


after a married life of thirty-four 3-ears, proving to her husband a most
faithful companion and helpmate. To her children she was a loving and
indulgent mother and to those who had the pleasure of her accjuaintance
she was a faithful friend.

Mr. Bacon is a member of both branches of the I. O. O. F., and is also
a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. His first presiden-
tial vote was cast for Stephen A. Douglas, but since that time he has been
a reliable and loyal advocate of the Republican party. He has a good home in
Sonora, and is highly respected in this portion of the state as a straightfor-
ward and enterprising business man and a citizen whose devotion to the public
good is widely recognized. He has left the impress of his individuality not
only on the industrial and commercial interests of this section of the state but
also on the legislation of California, and has borne no unimportant part in
shaping the policy and advancement of the state.

J. Bowne Bacon was born September 17, 1865. In July after her mar-
riage Mrs. Bacon returned to New York, by the isthmus route, the voyage
being a most unpleasant one, for she was sick the entire trip. At Little Falls,
New York, f)ccurred the birth of his first son. After spending about ten
months in New York and Michigan visiting, she returned to California, cross-
ing the plains from Atchison, Kansas, to Placerville. California, by the over-
land stage route. J. Bowne Bacon is at jiresent in charge of the Kcltz group
of mines near the Stanislaus river, which are ownetl bv a Scotch svndicate;



OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. 8i

and is also the owner of many undeveloped mining properties. He still retains
his position and appointment as deputy assessor but at present is not in
active service. He is a most pleasing young nian and has inherited strong-
traces of his father's keen business ability.

Charles Gorham Bacon, the second son, was born in Columbia, Tuolumne
county, on IMarch 25, A. D. 1868. He is at present the manager and secretary
of the' Sonora Land & Mining Abstract Bureau, which is the leading abstract
bureau of the county, and working under the two most approved abstract
systems, namely the Rice and the Durfee, and having a complete transcript
of all the records of the county. He is also the manager and an owner of the
B. B. B. Stone Company, the quarry being located about four miles north of
Sonora. The granite produced from this quarry has been pronounced by the
best experts as excelling all other granite in this state for monumental pur-
poses and equal to the Barre ( Vermont j stone, which is considered the best
in the United States.

He is an agreeable young man, strong in his friendships, having inher-
ited these traits of his mother, and jn business the character of his father.

THOMAS MILLER.

The vast majority of California's citizens can scarcely realize what prob-
lems met the pioneers of 1849 as they came to the Pacific coast from the
east, with its thriving towns, cities and villages, containing all known com-
forts. They found here a region of wild forests and unbroken lands, mile
after mile of which has not yet been traversed by white men. With the incom-
ing tide of humanity there sprang up a collection of mining camps. Many of
the men hoped here rapidly to gain a fortune. They were people who came
from good homes in the east and who had due regard for the rights and
privileges of others; but there also came to the state during the subsequent
years, a lawless element, determined to gain a living and to acquire wealth
by robbery and violence, no crime being too atrocious for their perpetration.
However, the men of worth at length brought into subjection this lawless
element and succeeded in laying the foundation for a commonwealth which is
now the pride of the nation. Mr. Miller arrived here a young man full of hope
and courage, of vigor, energy and determination. He is now the only sur-
viving pioneer settler of Angel's Camp, having outlived all who came to the
town in the days of its earliest development.

He was born in New York city, on the 2gth of February. 1824. His
father. John ?kliller, was a native of Ireland and was educated for the priest-
hood, but changed his plans on entering the church and was united in mar-
riage to Miss I\Iary Duffey. a native of the Emerald Isle. Unto them were
born four children. Mr. Miller is now the only survivor of the family. The
father died when Thomas was only six years of age, and the mother passed
away four years later, so that he was left an orphan when onh^ ten years
old. A ]\Irs. Baker, a Scotch-Irish lady, took him to her home and there he
remained two years, after which he entered upon an apprenticeship to the



82 REP RES EXT AT H'E CITIZEXS

ship carpenter's trade, following- that pursuit for two years. Howe\'er. he was
possessed of a spirit of adventure and courage and connected himself with
the crew of a pilot boat in New York harbor. The last pilot boat on which he
sailed proved to be too light for the heavy seas which she had to encounter.
Her captain was washed overboard and the others had a narrow escape from
death, so that all of the crew abandoned the vessel and j\Ir. Miller went to
sea on the shi]3 Sutton, of New York, on which he sailed for two years. He
was afterwarxl a steward on a number of different vessels, which visited ports
in various parts of tlie world. He sailed for nine years, without experiencing
even the smallest accident, and in 1849 he made the voyage around Cape Horn
on the Harriet Lawrence, landing at San Francisco in December, 1849.

Gold had been discovered by Marshall and all was excitement. He, too,
decided to join in the search for the precious metal and w'ent to Stockton,
whence he proceeded to Angel's Camp. There were only two log cabins in the
town at the time of his arrival. Placer mines were being opened in every
direction and Mr. Miller took a claim on Angel's creek, near the present site of
the town. The men were all novices at mining, but they soon learned how to
prosecute their search for gold and how' to separate it from the sand and
drift so that they could take out an ounce a day. Some of the men. thinking
that a good day's work, would abandon their labor when that amount was
secured; but others got from two to three ounces daily. Mr. ^filler made his
largest find in Dead Horse Gulch, where he obtained a six-ounce nugget, and
the same day he took out four ounces additional. He continued to engage
in mining most of the time until 1856, spending three years in that wa}' on
Indian creek, in partnership with Dr. Kelley. Subsequently he purchased a
quartz mine for two hundred dollars and also bought one hundred and sixty
acres of land at Albany Flat. He purchased oxen and tools and turned
his attention to farming, which he carried on with success. He had also
taken up five hundred acres of land, which now lies near the corporation limits
of the town of Angels', and this he has subdivided, selling a part of it. On
the tract a fine high-school building has recently been erected near the humble
residence of the respected pioneer who for a half century has resided here.
He has sold other lots, but still has a number of \-aluable ones. In 1863 he
disposed of his farm and has since engaged in lending money, in which he
has met with excellent success, being careful in placing his loans, treating those
Avith whom he does business with much consideration, so that he lias been very
fortunate in receiving the interest money and in finally getting liack the
principal.

In early life Mr. Miller was a Methodist, but later he came disgusted
■with what he considered the miserly manner in which the members of the
church contributed to its support. He therefore absented himself and attended
the Catholic church, where he saw much more liberal giving. He therefore
resolved to return to the faith of his fathers, was confirmed and is now a
devout communicant of the Catholic church. He has ever been a liberal
contributor to movements and measures whicli he believed to be of public
good and would prove of benefit to the town. He has lieen a life-long Dcm-



OF NORTHERX CALIFORNIA. 83

ocrat in his political affiliati(jns, but has never sought or desired oflice, nor has
he joined any fraternal societies. He has ever favored law and order and is
an excellent representative of the good and brave men who came to California
in 1849. He has depended upon his own resources, and by following honor-
al)le business methods and manifesting untiring industry he has workeil his
way upward until he is nijw the possessor of a fcjrtune.

JOHN E. MAXLOVE.

John Edward ]\Ianlove owns and operates one of the fine farms of
Brighton township, Sacramento county, and he has taken the lead in many
departments of agricultural and horicultural labor. He was born at his
present home, — the beautiful old farmstead which his father located, — Sep-
tember 9, 1 86 1. His ancestry can be traced back to colonial days, for prior to
tlie Revolution Christopher Manlove was commissioned surgeon to his Majes-
ty's Hospital on the 5th of August, 1761, during the reigii of George HI., king
of England, by General Amherst, commander-in-chief of the British troops in
this country. Accordingly he left his home in Yorkshire, England, and
crossed the Atlantic, taking up his abode in New Jersey and a few years later
removed to Virginia. It was fifteen years after his arrival before the Decla-
ration of Independence was written. He was married in Petersburg and
resided there until his death. He had five sons and five daughters, his third
child being John Manlove, who was born in Dinwiddle county, Virginia, on a
jjlantation adjoining the city of Petersburg, and became the grandfather of
our subject. He was reared to manhood in his native locality, studied medi-
cine under the direction of his father and was a prominent physician of Din-
widdie county for about twenty years or until his death in 1825. He mar-
ried Ann King, who was also born in Virginia and survived him about thir-
ty-five years, her death occurring in 1857. Their only son, William Stark
^lanlove, was born December g, 1824, at the old Virginia homestead in Din-
widdle county. His elementary education was acquired in private schools,
and was supplemented by an academic course and by study in the University
of Virginia at Charlottesville. Subsequently he attended medical lectures
and afterward a course in the medical department of University of Pennsyl-
vania at Philadelphia, being graduated in 1847. He practiced his profession
in Virginia until 1849, when he joined a stock company of about one hun-
dred and twenty-five members which was being organized in Richmond for a
trip to California during the gold excitement. A committee was sent to
New York to purchase a vessel and the iMary Ann became the property of the
company, was brought to Richmond, there loaded with supplies and in March
embarked on the long journey around Cape Horn. Four days later the vessel
sprung a leak and from that time until they reached Rio Janeiro they had to
keep a gang of men pumping, the passengers assisting the sailors in their
arduous task. They experienced severe storms, but at times the voyage was
most flelightful, and the last day of Sc])tember they arrived at San Francisco.

After six weeks .spent in that city Dr. Manlove went to the southern



84 REPRESEXTATIJ'E CITIZENS

mines in Amador county, where he remained until the spring of 185 1, engaged
in mining, trading and in the practice of medicine. He then sold his interest
and went to Nevada City. For a time he engaged in mining and prospecting
in the northern part of the state, but not meeting with the success he antici-
pated, and tired of this roving life, he made a permanent location in Sacra-
mento county, where he purchased a half section of \aluable land. From that
time until his death he engaged in the cultivation of cereals and fruits, and
also practiced medicine to some extent. His business career was interrupted
only by two years' service as sheriff of Sacramento county, from 1857 to 1859.
He was one of the pioneer grape-growers of this section of the state, begin-
ning the cultivation of that fruit as early as 1858. He did much to perfect
the grape-growing interests of California and for many years his opinions
were regarded as authority in matters of fruit culture. He was especially
enthusiastic in regard to the raising of cherries, and his opinions in that mat-
ter were borne out by practical experience. He also had good crops of
peaches, apricots, plums and oranges, and likewise raised pecans, butternuts,
eastern and English walnuts, Japanese persimmons and dates. His farm
became one of the most highly improved in this section of the state, and
through his efforts he largely promoted the interests of fruit-growers in Cali-
fornia. In 1887 he was appointed by Governor Bartlett a member of the
board of viticulture, a position which he filled with credit. He also did an
important work in connection with the patrons of husbandry and succeeded
in establishing at least fourteen successful local granges. In politics he was a
Democrat and filled a number of places of trust and responsibility.

Dr. Manlove married Aliss Frances L., a daughter of Hon. Shubel N.
Baker, who came to California from Coldwater, Michigan, in an early day.
He was a merchant of Sacramento and associate county judge under the old
constitution. The Doctor and Mrs. Manlove were married in September,
1859, and became the parents of two children, — J. Edward and Catharine A.

John Edward Manlove, whose name heads this review, has spent his
entire life on the old family homestead where his birth occurred September
9, 1 86 1. He pursued his education in the schools of the neighborhood and
spent three years in a private school conducted by E. P. Howe. Sixteen
years ago he assumed the management of the home farm, which comprises
more than three hundred acres of the arable and fertile lands of central Cali-
fornia. He was married in 1892, to Miss Elizabeth Manlove, who was born
in Lake county, California, and died in Sacramento, April 25, 1893, at the age
of twenty-two years, leaving a son, William A., who is now six years of age.
On May 10. 1900, Mr. Manlove married Mrs. Margaret I. Leach, of Ross
Station, Marin county, California, and since that time they have lived near that
place, in a coi^y home owned by them; but still Mr. Manlove retains his business
interests in Sacramento county.

Politically he is a prominent representative of the Peoples' party, assisted
in organizing the party in Sacramento county and was a delegate to its first
convention. He has always labored earnestly and actively in its support and
his efforts lia\e been effective in the promulgation of its ])rinciples among his



OF XORTHERX CALIFORXIA. 85

fellow townsmen. For ten years he was a member of the Xative Sons of
California.

Mr. Manlove is one of the best known and most popular citizens of Sac-
ramento county. He has spent his entire life here and has been an active factor
in business circles and has gained a very wide acquaintance. The old family
homestead which he occupies is situated on the Jackson road, seven miles
east of the capital city. It is bisected by the Placerville Railroad; and the
IManlove station, which was named in his father's honor, on account of its
close proximity affords excellent shipping facilities. The house is a com-
fortable and commodious structure, sheltered by gigantic oak trees and sur-
rounded by beautiful flowers. Its hospitality is widely celebrated and the
members of the household occupy leading positions in social circles. Mr. ]\[an-
love gives his time and attention to the cultivation of field and orchard and
his harvests indicate earnest labor and excellent business methods.

I. G. ZU.MW'ALT.

I. G. Zumwalt is one of California's native sons, his birth having
occurred in Colusa county, which is still his home, on the 24th of January,
1872. His father, John R. Zumwalt, was born in Illinois, on January 27,
1826, and in 1870 came to California, where he spent the remainder of his
life. He was educated for the practice of medicine but abandoned this pro-
fession on account of ill health, and for a number of years engaged in the
manufacture of wagons, but spent the last years of his active business career
as a farmer. His wife, Sarah Phebe Zumwalt, was born in Pike county, Mis-
souri, on February 20, 1842, and is still living in Colusa.

The enterprising lawyer of whom we write spent the first sixteen years
of his life on a farm, and accjuired a good education to prepare him for the
responsible duties which daily come to one who is in business life. He was
for two years a student in the high school in Colusa, graduating in 1890, after
which he entered Pierce's Christian College, and on leaving that institution, in
May, 1892, he took up the study of law, under U. W. Brown, in Colusa. In
1894 he was admitted to the bar. He has since been engaged in active prac-
tice, and his advancement toward the front rank of the legal profession has
been continuous and rapid, until now he has one of the largest criminal and
civil practices in the northern part of the state of California. In 1898 he
was elected district attorney and is now capably filling that office. He is well
versed in the principles of jurisprudence, and. having a good command of lan-
guage, his arguments are forceful, logical and convincing.

In the last few years^ aside from his reputation as a lawyer, he has
become noted as a business man of keen foresight and sterling worth. He is
now secretary and a director of Cook's Springs Mineral Water Company, one
of the largest mineral water companies in the state of California, which bot-
tles and ships natural mineral water from tiiis famous resort all over the
Pacific coast.

Mr. Zumwalt is an ardent Democrat and has, during the two last presi-



86 REPRESEXTATIVE CITIZENS

dential campaigns, made numerous speeches in behalf of the leaders of his
party. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity and the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows, and attends the Methodist Episcopal church, of which his people
are members. He is a favorite in social circles, being one of the jjopular resi-
dents of Colusa, where he enjoys the friendship of many of the best people
of the locality.

OLIVER W. ERLEWIXE.

The specific and distinctive office of biography is not to gi\e voice to
man's modest estimate of himself and his accomplishments, but rather to
leave a perpetual record establishing his character by the consensus of opin-
ion on the part of his fellow men. That great factor, the public, is a discrim-
inating factor, and yet takes cognizance not so much of self-exaltation or of
modesty as the intrinsic essence of character, strikes the keynote of individ-
uality and pronounces judicially and unequivocally upon the true worth of
the man, — invariably distinguishing the clear resonance of the trvie metal
from the jarring dissonance of the baser. Thus in touching upon the life his-
tory of the subject of this review the biographer would aim to give utterance
to no fulsome encomium, to indulge in no extravagant praise; yet would he
wish to hold up for consideration those points that have shown the distinction
of a pure, true and useful life, — one characterized by indomitable persever-
ance, broad charity, marked ability, high accomplishments and well-earned
honors. To do this will be but to reiterate the dictum pronounced upon the
man by his fellow men.

Professor O. \V. Erlewine, now the principal of the city schools of Sac-
ramento, was born January lo, 1852, and was the fourth in order of birth
in a family of five children, whose parents were Samuel and Rebecca (Hubbs)
Erlewine. The family is of German lineage and the original American ances-
tors settled in this country at an early day and were frequently engaged in the
struggles with the Indians which marked the early settlement of this land.
His father was a native of West Virginia and died in that state, at the age
of eighty-four years, but the mother is still living there, at the age of seventy-
six.

Upon the old home farm in that slate Professor Erlewine spent the da\-s
of his boyhood and youth, and after completing the public-school course in
Wetzel county. West Virginia, pursued a course of training in a preparatory
school for teachers in Carthage, Illinois. He has devoted much of his life to
educational work, teaching school for two years in the state of his nativity
and three years in Illinois before his removal to the west. He came to Cali-
fornia in 1880 and for nine years engaged in merchandising as the manager
of the Grangers' Business Association ; but the cause of education was one in
which he was deeply interested, and ultimately he returned to his professional
labors along that line. For six years he was a member of the board of educa-
tion of Sacramento, and then, after four years spent in the office of assistant
postmaster, was chosen superintendent of the city schools, in which capacity
he has most ably served for the past si.x years. He has succeeded in raising



OF NORTH ERM CALIFORNIA. 87

the schools to a very high standard of excellence, and with the assistance of
a competent corps of teachers he has advanced the importance and thorough-
ness of the work in each grade. His marked ability to impart clearly and
readily to others the knowledge he has acquired made him a most successful
educator from the beginning of his professional career, and Sacramento owes
much to him for the progress made along educational lines in the public schools
under his superintendence.

In 1878 was celebrated the marriage of Professor Erlewine and Miss
Emma L. Bross. Her father, Benjamin Bross, was a native of Germany
and after crossing the Atlantic became a farmer of Illinois, where he is still
living, at the age of eighty-four years. His wife, who bore the maiden name
of ;\Iary Merrill, was born in Vermont and died in 1885. Unto Professor
and Mrs. Erlewine have been born three children: JNIary R., in 1880; Eva E.,
in 1882; and Maud A., in 1884.

Our subject belongs to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and is
a most valued member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, being a past
grand patriarch of California. He is very popular among all classes, possess-
ing a genial and social disposition. He is a man of high intellectuality, broad
human sympathies and tolerance and inbued with fine sensibilities and clear-
ly-denned principles. Honor and integrity are synonymous with his name,
and he enjoys the respect, confidence and high regard of the entire com-
munity.

COLONEL T. H. BERKEY.

Sacramento county, in which is located the fair city of Sacramento, is
lavored in having represented upon its list of officials individuals whose
endowments fully capacitate them for the discharge of the responsible duties
that devolve upon them. The subject of this review is the assessor of the
county, having been elected to this important office through the suffrage of the
Republican party, in whose interest he has rendered timely and effective ser-
'ice, being known as one of the uncompromising advocates of the principles
of that political organization.

Colonel Berkey was born in Somerset, Perry county, Ohio, January 5,
1842, and there resided until his emigration to the west, his identification
with the Pacific coast dating from June 25, 1869, at which time he arrived
in Sacramento, where he has been engaged in various important business
ventures. His fellow townsmen, recognizing his worth and ability, often called
him to public office, where he has manifested his loyalty to the general good
by faithfully and promptly executing his duties. He was elected the county
clerk of Sacramento county in 1877, and after capably filling the position for
two years, was re-elected in 1879, serving for a second term of three years,
so that he filled the office for five consecutive years.

On his retirement from office he turned his attention to the real-estate
and insurance business and soon secured a good clientage along that line,
handling some important realty transactions. In 1894 his fellow townsmen
again called him to office and he was elected assessor for a term of four



83 REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS

years. In 1898 he was again elected, so that he is now serving for the second
term, wiiich will terminate January i, 1903. While undoubtedly he has not
been without that honorable ambition which is so powerful an incentive to
activity in public affairs, he is one that has subordinated persrjnal ambition



Online LibraryChicago Standard Genealogical Publishing CompanyA Volume of memoirs and genealogy of representative citizens of northern California, including biographies of many of those who have passed away → online text (page 11 of 108)