Chicago Standard Genealogical Publishing Company.

A Volume of memoirs and genealogy of representative citizens of northern California, including biographies of many of those who have passed away online

. (page 28 of 108)
Online LibraryChicago Standard Genealogical Publishing CompanyA Volume of memoirs and genealogy of representative citizens of northern California, including biographies of many of those who have passed away → online text (page 28 of 108)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Jackson.

In politics he is a Democrat and by appointment of Governor Budd is
serving as trustee of the State Mining Bureau. A man of generous impulses
and sterling worth, he enjoys the high esteem of all with whom he is brought
in contact and his worth as a man and a citizen is widely acknowledged.

JOHN J. DAVIS.

With the great tide of emigration which brought so many worthy citizens
to California in 1852, John James Davis came to the west, arriving at Placer-
ville, Eldorado county, on the 14th of September of that year. He came from
the Hoosier state, his birth having occurred there in Ripley county, on the nth
of March, 1826. His paternal grandfather was one of the pioneer settlers of
Kentucky and in that state his father, James Davis, was born and reared.
When he was sixteen years of age, the family removed to Indiana, becoming
pioneer settlers of Ripley county, in which location James Davis, having
arrived at the 3'ears of maturity, was united in marriage to Miss Catherine
Smith, a native of the Empire state. They were farming people and were
valued members of the Methodist church. Thirteen children were born of their
union, ten of whom reached the years of maturity. The father attained the
ripe old age of seventy-seven years, and his wife, surviving him several years,
passed away at about the same age. Many of their children have also joined
the silent majority.

Mr. Davis, whose name introduces this review, was reared on his father's
farm in the county of his nativity, and, as soon as old enough to handle the
plow, began work in the fields. After the harvests were garnered in the
autumn he would attend the district school of the neighborhood and therein
pursued his education until the coming of spring brought new duties to the far-
mer lad. At the age of twenty-two years he removed to Iowa, where he fol-
followed the cooper's trade until 1852, when he determined to see a home on
the Pacific slope and started across the plains with ox teams. He paid thirty
dollars for the privilege of traveling with a party under command of R. I.
Finch. The journey was safely accomplished, and, after reaching his destina-
tion. Mr. Davis engaged in placer-mining at Diamond Spring, where he met
with fair success. He also followed mining at Webber creek, between Dia-
mond Spring and Placerville. and on one occasion took out eighty-five ounces
of gold in a single week. The largest nugget which he found at Diamond
Spring was worth ninety dollars. He continued his mining- operations in
various jjlaces for se\en years, and in September, 1859, settled upon his present
ranch, where he now has four hundred and fifty-two acres of valuable land,
constituting one of the best fruit farms in Amador county. He makes a spe-
cialty of the cultivation of pears, apricots, idums, grapes and almonds, and



OF NORTHERX CALIFORNIA. 211

these fruits, so well adapted to the chmate, I)ring to him a handsome finan-
cial return.

In 1869 Mr. Da\-is was hapi)ily married to Airs. Mary Davis, who by her
former marriage had a son, Stephen K. By her present marriage she has
six children, named James Lawrence, John Sheridan, Joseph, Thomas Smith.
Robert Ingersoll and Mary S. Mr. Davis has for many years been a valued
member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and in his political views
is a Republican, unswerving in his loyalty to the party. For many years he
has served as a trustee of the school district, doing all in his power to promote
the educational interests and to insure progress along many other lines of ben-
efit to the county. He has been the architect of his own fortune and has
managed his business well. Realizing the importance of industry and close
application to the affairs of life, he has so directed his efforts with reference
to those characteristics that he has become the possessor of a very valuable
property and he is regarded as one of the leading agriculturists in his section
of the state.

EARL S. BARNEY.

Great changes have occurred since Earl S. Barney arrived in California,
for he was one of the "49ers" who, attracted Ijy the discovery of gold,
sought a home on the Pacific slope. The little mining camps in which there
was always found a lawless element as well as a better grade of settlers have
long since been replaced with thriving towns in which the advantages of
civilization are equal to those afforded in the older east. The work of trans-
formation, however, has been one of arduous labor, carried forward by men
of resolute will, energy and enterprise. To this class belongs Mr. Barney.

He was born in Montgomery county, New York, on the 3d of Decem-
ber, 1826. and is of English lineage, his ancestors having removed to Ver-
mont at an early period in its history. Several generations were born in
New England, including Mr. Barney's father, Dr. Ezadick Barney, who was
born in Vermont and married Elizabeth Swane, a native of Nantucket and
a representative of an old ^Vmerican Quaker family, and they became the
parents of five children, three of whom are living: H. S. Holland, a prom-
inent merchant of Schenectady, New York; Mrs. Mary A. Phillip, also of
Schenectady; and Earl S. The father attained the ripe old age of eighty
years and the mother was seventy-five years of age at the time of her demise.

Earl S. Barney, the youngest of the family, was educated in his na-
tive town of Schenectady, New York, and entered upon his business ca-
reer as a clerk in a store, but, attacked by the gold fever, he severed his
commercial relations in the east to connect himself W'ith a party of seventy-
five who were making plans to go w'est in search of the golden treasure.
They purchased the bark Nautilus, commanded by a captain and a crew of
twelve seamen. They secured a year's provisions for the company and sailed
around Cajie Horn for the golden west. The cost of the ship and outfit,
including provisions, was four hundred tlollars to each one of the party. They



212 REPRESENTATIVE CITIZEXS

were seven months and ten days on the voyage, arriving at San Francisco
on the loth of October, 1849.

Mr. Barney at once secured a share of the food supphes and then started
on a boat for Sacramento, in company with two partners, Spencer Sweet and
Dudley Jones, the latter a resident of Little Rock, Arkansas. After ac-
complishing part of the journey on a whaling boat, they continued the trip
on a sailing vessel to Sacramento, which city was then in its infancy. Mr.
Barney and his partner continued on to the placer mines in Eldorado county,
California, and engaged in digging for the precious metal on South bar,
and continued in that vicinity for eight months, during which time they each
took out about one and a half ounces of gold per day. On one occasion
Mr. Barney secured gold dust to the value of one hundred dollars. Return-
ing to Sacramento he obtained a clerkship in the employ of Gideon Wood-
ruff, with whom he remained for a year, receiving five hundred dollars per
month for his services. He next went to the American river, and, with his
partner, Spencer Sweet, engaged in conducting a miners' supply store until
the fall of 1854, when he went to Red Bluff, opening a store there which
he conducted for a short time. He then sold out and removed to Shasta
county, where he engaged in silver-mining on Squaw creek : but that venture
proved unprofitable and in 1866 he removed from that locality to San Fran-
cisco, whence he went to Austin, Nevada. He engaged in merchandising at
White Pine and invested his money in erecting a number of buildings, but
the town ceased to grow and he lost nearly all the money which he had put
in the property there.

Removing to Calaveras county, he operated the reduction works at the
Gwin mine from 1871 until 1873. after which he carried on business in the
same way at Sutter Creek until his removal to Drytown. In January, 1877,
he built the reduction works at that place, in partnership with C. J. Garland,
their business relationship being maintained for three 3'ears, at the end of
which time Mr. Voorhies bought out Mr. Garland's interest. They also pur-
chased the works at Sutter Creek and operated lx3th plants until 1877, when
their interests were divided. Mr. Barney taking the property at Drytown
and Mr. \"oorhies that at Sutter Creek. The business was carried on after
the following manner : The sulphates are purchased from the mine operators,
reduced in tlie reduction works and then the gold is sent to San Francisco.
Mining and its collateral branches formed one of the most important indus-
tries and such enterprises contributed in no small degree to the prosperity and
well-being of many communities in the commonwealth. In tlie conduct of
his enterprises Mr. Barney has not only contributed to his own success but
has also promoted the welfare of the community. He has given close at-
tention to business and as a result of his upright methods and careful man-
agement he has become one of the wealthy men of the county.

A man of resourceful business ability, his eft'orts have not been con-
fined to one line. He is to-day the owner of a ranch of fourteen hundred
acres, near Drytown. on which he has a comfortable residence, presided over
by a competent housekeeper. Four men are employed tlicrc in raising grain



OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. 213

and stock, making a speciaky of high-grade Percheron horses and liigh-grade
cattle. Air. Barney boards at tiie hotel in Drytown and has commodious rooms
and offices at his reduction works.

His political support has ever been given to the Republican party and
he does all in his power to promote its growth and secure its success. Of
the seventy-four men who came with him to California on the bark Nautilus
he knows of but two who are still living. Thus the ranks of the brave pio-
neers are rapidly being decimated, but their memory will long be cherished
for their important contribution to the work of civilization in opening up this
vast region of wealth and beauty and making it one of the most valuable
as well as favored sections of our great nation. Mr. Barney's life has been
one of activity and close connection with affairs of great usefulness. He is
uniformly honored and esteemed and his record is one in many respects worthy
of emulation, while it has been characterized by fidelity to duty in all life's
relations.

A. S. GREENLAW.

Among the county officials of Sacramento county is numbered this gen-
tleman, and his reputation is unimpeachable. Applying honest bvisiness prin-
ciples not only in his ordinary business affairs but also in his politics and in
the discharge of his official duties, he has won the confidence of the public in
a high degree. That a trust committed to his care will be administered hon-
estly and with ability there is never a doubt. His bu>iness and political ca-
reer in Sacramento is a guarantee that he wdll acquit liimself in any position
in which he may be placed with credit, and to the satisfaction of those most
interested. While a community might sometimes have been anxious as to
the course its public officials would take upon vital questions, not a doubt
has ever been entertained as to where Mr. Greenlaw would stand when the
moment for action came, for he is ever found on the side of reform, progress
and the right. Such men, it is needless to say, are not too numerous; men
who inspire confidence in our large cities : men wlio in their unswerving con-
servative uprightness and fearless defense of the right are the balance wheel in
the often seemingly reckless whirl of the political machinery. The history of the
county treasurer of Sacramento county cannot fail to prove of interest to
many of our readers, for he is both wi'clely and favorably known.

A. S. Greenlaw was born on his father's farm in Waldo, Maine, Au-
gust 29, 1832, and is a son of Alexander and Catharine (Staples) Greenlaw.
The father was born in Bristol, Maine, February 18, 1799, and died in North-
port, that state, at the ripe old age of eighty-one years. He was reared on
his father's farm, received a . common-school education, and at the age of
twenty-two removed to the county of Waldo, where he married Susan Staples,
by whom he had one son. After the death of the mother he was again mar-
ried, his second union being with Catharine Staples, who was born in Ox-
ford county, Maine, June 9, 179S, and died in Northport. in the Pine Tree
state, at the age of seventy-two years. By the second marriage there were



2 1 4 REP RES EX TA Tl VE CI TIZEXS

three daughters and six sons. At Waldo the father followed agricultural
pursuits until after he had educated his children, when he retired to a quiet
life, making his home with his son William, in Northport, jMaine. He was
a memher of the Methodist church and took a very active part in its work.
The paternal grandparents of our subject were Alexander and Susan (Cox)
Greenlaw, and the maternal grandparents were Luke and Sarah (Cox)
Staples. On the paternal side the ancestors can be traced back to William
Greenlaw, a native of Scotland, who crossed the Atlantic, taking up his
abode in the town of Bristol, Maine, in the early part of the seventeenth
century. Among his descendants were those who loyally fought in the Co-
lonial army, notably under Arnold in the invasion of Canada. The Staples fam-
ily were descendants of early settlers of Oxford county, Maine, and the
Cox family \\as founded in Franklin county, that state. Among its repre-
sentatives were those who engaged in the privateering service in the Re\o-
lutionary war. The father of our subject served as a substitute in the war
of 1812, being too young to enlist in the regular way, and three brothers of
our subject "wore the blue" in the Civil war. It will thus be seen that
the family has ever been noted for its loyahy and patriotism and the record
is one of which the present generation may well be proud.

In the public schools of his native state Mr. Greenlaw, of this review,
obtained his preliminary education, which was supplemented by a course in
the Maine Wesleyan Seminary, in which he was graduated in June, 1852.
He taught mathematics in the seminary for two years, and in April, 1855,
started for California, and through the succeeding five years was engaged m
mining and trading. He took up his abode on a fruit and dairy farm near Sac-
ramento in i860, and for twenty-three years was successfully engaged in horti-
cultural pursuits. In 1883 he was elected to the position of county treas-
urer, which position he filled for two years, and in 1885 he resumed the
dairy business, which he conducted with success until 1893. In that year
he was made deputy treasurer under Edward Lyons. Upon the death of
Mr. Lyons in 1897 he was appointed to serve the unexpired term, and in
1899 was elected to the office, which he is now acceptably filling.

Mr. Greenlaw has been twice married. On the 26th of June, 1861, he
wedded Amanda Smart, who died on the 20th of Novemljer, 1879. She
w-as a daughter of Jesse and Xancy (Clough) Smart. Her father was born
in Troy, Maine, in 1802, was married in 1822, and died in Sacramento, Cali-
fornia, in December, i860, while his wife, who was born in Camden, Maine,
in 1802, died in Troy, Maine, in 1841. They were the parents of ten chil-
dren. Mr. Smart obtained his education in the common schools, and after-
ward located on a farm in Troy, Maine, but his last days were spent in the
Golden state. He three times represented his district in the Maine state
legislature. The children of Mr. and JNIrs. Greenlaw were: Flora M.. born
August 10. 1862, is the wife of Henry Grupe and they have one daugh-
ter, Eunice Louise; Alice L., born June 9. 1864, is the wife of Charles E.
Mack, and has two children. Charles E. and Elwood ; Horace, born Feb-
ruary 20. 1868. died in March, 1872: Jessie, born January 22. 1872. died



OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. 21-5

in April, iSg6; Amj- L., September 25, 1873; Lester A., November 21,
1875; and Edna I., October 9, 1877. After the death of his first wife Mr.
Greenlaw was again married, Mrs. Tenipleton Corlis becoming his wife on
the 13th of October, 1883.

Mr. Greenlaw cast his first presidential vote for John C. Fremont, in
1856, and has been a stalwart advocate of Republican prmciples ever since,
doing all in his power to promote the growth and insure the success of his
party. Both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church,
and socially he is connected with the Ancient Order of United Workmen,
the Knights of Pythias and the Patrons of Husbandry.

HIRAM C. STAXTON.

Among the ofificials of Glenn county is numbered Mr. Stanton, who is
now acceptably filhng the ofifice of sheriff' and in the discharge of his duties
manifesting fearlessness and fidehty that render him a very competent official.
He was born at Canton Corners, Ohio, on the i8th of June, 1838, and is a
son of Joseph Stanton, a native of the Empire state. His father was a
mechanic and engaged in the construction of carding machinery. He also fol-
lowed farming to some extent, but devoted the greater part of his attention
to industrial effort.' His political support was given to the Whig party and he
died in Hancock county, Illinois, at the age of sixty-one years. In early
manhood he married Clarissa Griffin, a native of Pennsylvania, who died in
California, at the age of seventy-eight years. She was the mother of seven
children, five of whom are yet living. Her father was Samuel Griffin, a
mechanic, who resided in Bradford county, Pennsylvania, where he died at
the age of sixty j-ears.

Hiram C. Stanton, the youngest in his father's family, spent his boyhood
days on the old home farm, and when a youth of sixteen began working as a
farm hand, which pursuit he followed for six years. He then determined to
seek a home in California and in 1862 made his way to the Pacific slope, locat-
ing at Grand Island. He settled on a farm of one hundred and sixty acres of
partially improved land and devoted his time and energies to the further devel-
opment and cultivation of that property through the succeeding seven years.
He then removed to another farm, seven miles southwest of Willow, where he
built the first grain warehouse in that locality. In the fall of 1894 'le was
elected to the ofifice of sheriff of Glenn county and the following year came
to Willow, where he now makes his home. He still superintends his farm,
however, and derives therefrom a good income. In 1898 he was re-elected
county sheriff and displays fearlessness and loyalty in discharging the onerous
duties which devolve upon him.

Mr. Stanton is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the Order of
the Eastern Star. He has always been a stanch Republican in his political
views since casting his first presidential vote for Lincoln in 1864. Industry
and enterprise are numbered among the salient points of his character, and these



2 1 6 REPRESENT A TIVE CITIZENS

are bringing to him success in his business, while in pubhc Hfe they have won
for him the high regard of ah with whom he has been brought in contact.

December 28, 1858, Mr. Stanton was united in marriage w-ith Miss
Rachel Evans, a daughter of James and Mary Evans, of Adams county, Illi-
nois, and they are the parents of six children : Wilford A., born April 14,
i860; Laura Cornelia, January 15, 1862; Harry E., December 28, 1866; Seth
W., July 14, 1871; Mary Clarissa, April 14, 1873; and Florence Belle, August
21, 1875.

Wilford A. married Louisa Mason and has one son, Arthur. Laura
Cornelia is the wife of Henry St. Louis and they have two children, — Cori-
don and Wilowbell. Harry E. married Mary Whitlock and they have three
children, — Myrtle, Violet and Elsie. Seth W. married Bertha Pitcher and
they have one son. Pollard. Mary Clarissa and Florence Belle are at home.

DANIEL STEWART.

No mercantile enterprise of lone antedates the establishment of the store of
which Daniel Stewart was the proprietor. Through long years he was an ac-
tive factor in the commercial interests in this place and had marked influence
on the business life of the city. His efforts not only contributed to his in-
dividual prosperity, but were of marked benefit to the community, for in this
utilitarian age everything depends upon progressive business enterprises. As
one of the pioneers, citizens and merchants of Amador county, Daniel Stew-
art is certainly deserving of mention in this volume.

He came to California in 1850 and was a native of Pennsylvania, his
birth occurring in North Liberty, Mercer county, on the 6th of January, 1824.
He was reared upon a farm and his educational privileges were very meager,
but his training at farm labor was not limited. He was eminently a self-made
man, owing his advancement to his own efforts. In company with his father
and brother he crossed the plains with ox-teams in 1850. They made a safe
journey, their numbers being undecimated by the Indians and the cholera. After
arriving at Sacramento Mr. Stewart of this review proceeded to lone and es-
tablished the first store in that town. The enterprise had a small beginning,
but owing to the business ability, firm determination and energy 'of the owner,
the trade constantly increased and the facilities were in consequence enlarged.
Owing to his generous impulses and thorough reliability, Mr. Stewart made
many friends and his business prospered. In 1856 he and his brother erected
the first brick store in the town and since that time their concern has been
one of importance, the trade constantly growing. He had the unqualified con-
fidence and patronage of a large number of the best people in his portion of
the state, and not only did he win financial success, but he also gained a char-
acter for upright dealing that was indeed enviable. Mr. Stewart was also an
active Republican and was frequently selected to act as a delegate of the party
to the county and state conventions. He also took a deep interest in the educa-
tional afifairs in lone and for several years served as a member of the school
board. It was largely through his instrumentality that the ten-thousand-dollar







t^ d^








^W^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^BtL^* - ^^mB^ ^^^^^I


^J




RH




V







V



OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA.



brick schoolhouse which is now one of the creditable institutions of the town
was erected. He withheld his support from no movement or measure which
he behaved would contribute to the public good along social, intellectual, ma-
terial or moral lines. He was also one of the founders of the Independent Or-
der of Odd Fellows in lone and became one of its charter members, and
through his entire life was one of its most ardent and helpful supporters. He
served in many of its offices, and to his labors has largely been attributed the
success of the lodge in this place. He was a member of the Veteran Odd Fel-
lows Society of San Francisco and was also a member of the Pioneer Society
at Jackson.

In 1848 Daniel Stewart married Aliss Caroline Forker, a native of Penn-
sylvania, and in 1853 he returned to the east to get his family. Their eldest
child, J. F. Stewart, was born in the east, and with his wife and infant son
Daniel Stewart returned to lone, where five other children were afterward
added to the family, namely: Harry; John C. ; Willie; Thomas, who died in
infancy; and Eva, who is now the wife of W. A. Bennetts. In 1866 the
mother died and in 1868 Mr. Stewart was again married, his second union
being with Tahtha B. Forker. a distant relative of his former wife. Their
union was blessed with two children, — \\'alter and Agnes. This marriage also
proved a harmonious one and they lived happily together until the 27th of
February, 1899, when the honored pioneer settler, Daniel Stewart, was called
to the home beyond, at the age of seventy-five years. His death was a great
loss to his wife and children and was deeply mourned throughout the entire
county. His lodge and the people in general gathered in large numbers to pay
their last tribute of respect to one whom they had long honored. His exten-
sive business and large property interests were left to his wife and children,
and on the 19th of February^ 1900, the business was incorporated under the
firm name of D. Stewart & Company, with the following officers : J. F. Stew-
art, president; Mrs. Daniel Stewart, vice-president; J. C. Stewart, secretary;
Harry Stewart, treasurer; and \V. A. Bennetts, manager.

The children were all educated in Amador county and the family is one
of marked prominence and the highest respectability. They have one of the
finest homes in the town and their store is a leading mercantile establishment



Online LibraryChicago Standard Genealogical Publishing CompanyA Volume of memoirs and genealogy of representative citizens of northern California, including biographies of many of those who have passed away → online text (page 28 of 108)