Chicago Standard Genealogical Publishing Company.

A Volume of memoirs and genealogy of representative citizens of northern California, including biographies of many of those who have passed away online

. (page 63 of 108)
Online LibraryChicago Standard Genealogical Publishing CompanyA Volume of memoirs and genealogy of representative citizens of northern California, including biographies of many of those who have passed away → online text (page 63 of 108)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


brother. ?>. \'. Sargent. He next engaged in mining on the middle fork of
the Mokelumne river, where he continued for a number of years, and also
nuned in the state of Nevada and on Reese river near the coast. Subsequently
he returned to Calaveras and Amador counties and became the owner of various
large mining interests. Tn 1890 he removed to Salinas, Monterey county,
where he improved a fruit farm, making it his home until he sold the prop-
erty and removerl to Lodi. San Joaquin county. He is now living upon his
old stock farm, and is accounted one of the trustworthy and reliable citizens
of the communitv. Tn his family were seven children, four of whom are
living, namely: Elizabeth, who was the wife of S. Wilson and is now a resi-
dent of Jackson; Frank \\'cbster. who served as deputv county clerk, and
is at present under sheriff of Monterey county; James Richard Hardenberg.
who is living on the stock farm near Lodi; and Jacob E.. who resides on one
of the old homesteads on Middle Bar, near Jackson.

Mr. Sargent, of this review, was reared to manhood under the jiarental
roof and in earlv life became identified with the business interests to which
his father gave his attention. He is now the owner of a number of valuable
mining properties and one hundred and sixty acres of land, the three great
fissures of the 'Mather lode running across the property. His residence is
situated on a knoll overlooking the rixer and is surrounded by magnificent
trees, forming a most attractive and picturesque home. Mr. Sargent acquired
his earlv education under the direction of his mother and later attended the



OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. 481

San Joaquin \'alley College and the Santa Clara College, Init his eyesight
becoming defective he was forced to leave the latter institution just before his
graduation. Later he engaged in teaching school for a number of terms in
Amador county, and was the candidate of his party for superintendent of
schools, but was defeated by thirty-two votes. He has always been an active
Democrat, has kept well informed on the issues of the day and has attended
many of the county and state conventions. In 1892 he was elected a mem-
ber of the state assembly, and in that session was made chairman of the com-
mittee on education. He did effective work in the interest of the schools and'
was largely instrumental in securing the passage of the bill reforming the
school law of the state. He was also a member of the committee on mines
and mining, on constitutional amendments and on prisons and reformatory
institutions. He proved a very useful and faithful member rif the house, and
his record was indeed creditable.

In 1891 i\Ir. Sargent was united in marriage to ^liss Elizabeth Ouinn,
a nati\'e of Stevens Point, Wisconsin, and to them have been born three chil-
dren, — Dorothy, Jacol) L. and Roliert "SI. Mr. and Mrs. Sargent are mem-
bers of the Catholic church, and are well and favorably known in the com-
munity where they have so long resided. He lias made a good record as a
talented member of the legal profession, but his time and attention are more
largelv given to mining and he is now actively interested in the development
of the mineral resources of the state. As a public officer he has lieen courteous,
obliging and thoroughly capable, and these facts have not lacked recognition
on the iiart of the people, who have accorded him due commendation. His
popularity in the community is unmistakable and he is justly entitled to con-
sideration in this work as one of the representative men of northern California.

willia:\i b. haaiiltox.

^Villiam E. Hamilton is one of the best known and most popular officials
in Sacramento county. A man of splendid character and of unusual ability,
for years he has been connected with public affairs and has made a record
which commends him to public confidence and assures him the highest
respect of the community. For twenty years occupying the position of
county clerk, he has' manifested marked integrity and fitness in the ofiice,
and, with the multitude of delicate duties which his public service has caused
him to discharge, he has acquitted himself with such singular credit as
wholly to disarm envious partisan criticism and steadily add to his deserved
popularity. In fact he has usually been the candidate of all parties in seeking
office. Few men have been so fortunate in public life. On starting out with
the determination to administer every public trust with honesty, to regard him-
self as the servant and never as the master of the people and to be courteous
and obliging to all, his ability supplied all else that was necessary to insure
his success and popular esteem. Endowed in a large measure witln personal
magnetism, a thorough gentleman at all times, bright and cntertaiiiing and



482 REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS

full of tliat sparkling energy which always charms, he makes friends mure
readily than it is possible for most men to do.

]\lr. Hamilton is a native of England, born in 1S48, of Scotch and English
ancestry. His parents came to America, however, when he was only about
a year old, landing in New Orleans in 1849. The father, in that year, con-
tinued his journey to California with the adventurous and determined i)io-
neers who were attracted hither by the report of the Marshall gold discovery
at Coloma. In 1854 the family, who had been left in Ohio, followed the
father to the land of gold, by way of the Nicaragua route, across the isthmus,
locating in Eldorado county, at a place called American Flat, where they
resided until 1856. At that time Eldorado county was probably the nx)st
populous county in the state excepting San Francisco, and had equal repre-
sentation with the latter. It was also then the mining Mecca of the world.
The gold that was discovered at Coloma by Marshall was the lodestone that
attracted the ambitious youth from the eastern states and Europe; it brought
about the upbuilding of California by enterprising and talented men in all
the walks of life, and thus a great commonwealth was laid by men of worth,
nearly ail of whom have now passed away; but their work is still appreciated
by this generation and will be by posterity through all time to come.

In 1856 the Hamiltons removed to Sacramento, and in the capital city of
California the subject of this review acquired his education, being thus fitted
for the important responsible duties which were later to devolve upon him.
During the formative period of his life, when his character and impressions
were being molded, he was fortunate in having for his friend, counselor and
adviser the late James W. Coffroth, a brilliant lawyer and orator and a mag-
netic leader of men. It was under the direction of this gentleman that ilr.
Hamilton received his training as a law student. In 1874 he was appointed
by Judge W. R. Cantwell to tlie position of clerk of the ix)lice court of Sac-
ramento, and in 1876 he received the appointment of deputy county clerk
under the late A. A. Wood, and continued in that position through the terms
of Colonel T. H. Berkey and Charles X. Coglan. In 1884 Mr. Hamilton
was elected county clerk of Sacramento county by a majority of one thousand
three hundred and one, and two years later was re-elected by a plurality of
tliree thousand, and at each subsequent election, with one exception, he received
the vote of the people, not of parties, and has been elected by a very large
majority. In 1898 he was elected for the fourth term, so that lie is the pres-
ent incumbent of the office: and when his time for retirement will have come,
in 1902, his political life will have extended over twenty-five years which
is a suflicicnt commentary on his high standing in the community and his
irreproachable course in ofiice.

Mr. Hamilton is well known in social circles, and holds membership
in the following fraternities: A. F. & .\. M., Improved Order of Red Men,
Ancient Order of United \\'orkmen. Benevolent Order of Elks, and Del
Paso Outing Club. He is a great lover of the gun and rod. In manner he
is plain and unassuming, qualities which have won him the regard nf many
friends. His courtesy and affability are innate traits of his character, and



OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. 483

are manifest at all times and under all circumstances. His manner is genial,
his spnpathy broad, his temperament kindly. He wins friends wherever he
goes, and holds friendship as most inviolable. True worth at all times wins
recognition from him, and he believes in the fraternal spirit which so endears
a man to the great masses, for in his dealings and manner of address he
knows no rich, poor or middle classes. In all his associations he is valued
for his high standard of manhood, his courteous bearing and his individualit}'.
AVhere the prominent men of the community are representatives of the best
manhood, the future of the state opens constantly with the most brilliant
promises, for it is manly men who make the history that the world delights
to read, and who develop civilization and encc)urage the realization of the
fondest hopes of the race.

GEORGE ALLEN.

In the death of George Allen, on the 6th of September, 1896, Sutter
Creek and northern California lost one of their most jDrominent and hig-hly
respected citizens. As the day with its morning of hope and promise, its
noontime of activity and its evening of completed and successful effort, ending
in the grateful rest and the quiet of the night, so was the life of this hon-
ored man. His career was a busy and useful one, but although an earnest
business man devoting liis whole daily time and attention to the further devel-
opment of his commercial and industrial interests, he never allowed the pur-
suit of wealth to warp his kindly nature, but tn the end of his career was
a genial friend and courteous gentleman with whom it was a pleasure to
meet and converse.

Mr. Allen was born in New York city, on the i ith of July, 1841, and was
of English lineage. His parents, natives of England, emigrated to New York
city in their early married life, and both died of cholera in the first year of
their residence in the new world, lea\-ing their little son of only one year.
He Avas reared by an uncle in Rochester, and in his nineteenth year took
passage on a sailing vessel for San Francisco, arriving at Sutter Creek on the
2d of March, i860. Here he began the battle of life in earnest, working as
a laboring man for twenty-five dollars per month. In early manhood he was
employed as driver of a team, but he saved his money and soon had a team of
his own. He then began business on his own account, and later he took ujj
government land, which was heavily wooded. Becoming engaged in lum-
bering, he was for thirty-five years the principal lumber merchant at Sutter
Creek, and sold nearly all of the lumber used in the construction of the build-
ings in this town. As his patronage increased he enlarged his facilities, and
his trade steadily grew until it had assumed extensive proportions. He also
became the owner of large tracts of land, on which he raised grain, hay anil
stock, becoming prominent in that dei^artment of industry. He was a man
of energy, good judgment and high moral character, and not only won a
richly deserverl success in his business endeavors but also gained the high
regard of all with whom he came in contact.



484 REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS

In 1870 Mr. Allen was united in marriage to Miss Annie E. Bradlniry.
of Montville, Maine, a daughter of Jolin Bradbury, who was born in the
Pine Tree state and was descended from English ancestors, several genera-
tions of the family, however, having been born in America. Their union
was blessed with five children, three of whom are living, namely : George
E., Sophie M. and John F. They now assist their mother in the conduct of
the large business interests belonging to the estate and are energetic and pro-
gressive young men. a credit to the family name. In connection with the
lumber business they now have three thousand acres of land, on which they
are raising cattle : and the ranch yields to them an e.Kcellent income as a result
of their capable n\anagement. Two daughters of the family. Flora E. and
Annie E., have both passed away, the former at the age of six years and the
latter when five years of age. In his political views Rlr. Allen was a Rejnil)-
lican. earnest and active in the support of the principles of the party. He was
also a valued member of the Masonic fraternity, in which he attained the
Knight Templar degree, and at his death was laid to rest with Masonic honors.
He passed away on the 6th of September, 1896, after a short illness of pneu-
monia, and his loss was deeply deplored not only by his immediate family
but by many friends. His commendable principles of conduct at all times won
him the regard of those with whom he came in contact and his many estimalile
characteristics gained for him a large circle of true friends. Mrs. Allen aud
her sons and daughters reside in a very pleasant home in Sutter Creek, and in
social circles they occupy an enviable position. They are surrounded by t'":e
comforts which it is possible for them to obtain through the estate left them
by the honored husband and father, but they do not claim this as the greater
part of their heritage, having received from him the ])riceless treasure of an
imt.'u-nislied name.

JOHX STUDARL-S.

This gentleman, who is now a leading, well known representative of the
business interests of Sacramento county, is conducting a large general store
at Mills post-ofiice. which in the olden days was known to the pioneer set-
tlers as Hangtown Crossing. He is a representative of one of the early fam-
ilies of California, and the name of Studarus is closely interwo\en with the
history of the development of this section of the state, especially in agricul-
tural lines. His father. John B. Studarus. was for many years a leading
farmer and fruit-grower of Brighton township.

He was lx)rn in the land of the Alps, his birth having occurred in St.
Gall, Switzerland. December 10. 1824. Upon a farm in the land of his nativity
nativity he spent the first seventeen years of his life and then learned the
baker's trade, which he followed for five years in one locality. In 1S47
he determined to try his fortune in .America, and after a voyage of forty-two
days landed at New ^'ork. It was his intention to go to Cincinnati, but on
Teaching Pittsburg he found that the Ohio river was too low for navigation,
and accordingly remained at .\llegheny City until 1S50. Imm- a lime be was



OF XORTHERN CALIFORNIA. 485

employed as a gardener and then engaged in operating a dairy farm, on his
own account, in connection witli Xol<ear Stahele, a friend who had acc(jni-
panied him on tiie voyage to the new world. Air. Studarus drove a milk
wagon for his friend.

In the fall of 1S48 he went down the Mississippi to New Orleans, but, not
successful in an attempt to secure work there, he returned to Cincinnati, where
he found employment. For the first three weeks he was engaged on a packet
steamer running between Cincinnati and Madison, Indiana. He was then taken
ill and thus exhausted his small supply of money so that he was obliged to
accept the first work that offered. Accordingly he drove a milk wagon in that
city, for seven months. During this period the awful cholera was raging to
a fearful extent. Over five thousand people died there in three months ! In
August he went to Pittsburg, and being taken ill was cared for by his old
friend Mr. Stahele. He there met a young lady whom he had known in
Europe — Miss Mary Reisch, and they were married, in Allegheny City. After
a short time, however, they went to Wellsville, West Virginia, where they
were both employed in the family of a Mr, Arlnickle.

After six months, ho'wex-er, they began operating the farm on shares,
remaining there until March, 1853, when, with their two children, they made
the overland journey to California, arriving at Diamond Spring, Eldorado
county, al)out the ist of September. At a place called Lugtown ]\Ir. Studarus
began minhig, but a year later came into the Sacramento valley, renting a
farm on the American river, at Brighton, He had that property for two years,
and then, in 1857, he purchased a squatter's title to the place, which is a part
of the old Folsom grant. He then became the owner of three hundred and
thirty-eight acres of rich land, most of it being in the river bottom. For
several years he engaged in raising barley and wheat almoist exclusively, and
then added to this the cultivation of broom-corn, Indian corn and melons.
After the Central Pacific Railroad was completed the demand for fruit increased
so greatly that this turned his attention to horticultural pursuits, planting
fine orchards and vineyards. Thiis industry also gave rise to others, and Mr.
Studarus became one of the charter members and a director of the Sacramento
Cannery, which was established in the summer of 1888. His well directed
efforts in business life won to him a handsome competence and he became a
substantial famer of his adopted county.

In October, 1872, Mr. Studarus was called upon to mourn the loss of
his wife. Thirteen children were born to them, of whom three sons and six
daughters are now living. In 1873 he married Barbara Bollenbacher, who
died December 10, 1884, leaving three children,— one son and two daughters.
In his ijolitical s}-mpathies Mr. Studarus was a Republican during the Civil
war, but afterward affiliated with the Democracy. He is also a charter mem-
ber of the .\merican River Grange and was a public-spirited citizen, who
took a deep interest in e\-erything pertaining to the welfare and progress of
his adopted county. He died May 10, 1899, and thus j^assed away an honored
pioneer who played no unimportant part in the work of development in central
California,



486 REPRESEXTATIVE CITIZEXS

Jolin Stiularus. wliose name introduces this i-e\ie\v, was born in Hancock
county. West \'irginia. and tlie duties and lalxirs that fell to the lot of the
agriculturist early became familiar to him. He worked in field, meadow and
orchard and in the winter season attended the public i.-chools. acquiring a
good, practical English education. He is now devoting his energies to mer-
cantile pursuits and is one <if the wide-awake and enterprising business men
of the locality. He carries an excellent line of goods, such as are in demand
by the general public, and his honorable dealings, reasonable prices and earnest
desire to please have secured for him a liberal patronage, which brings to him
a good income.

In 1879 was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Studarus and Miss Sine
Lauridson, and unto them have been born three children, — Lawrence, Henry
and Howard. In the community Mr. and Mrs. Studarus have many warm
friends and enjoy the hospitality of the best homes in the locality. He is a
typical western man, full of the enterprising spirit and resolute courage to
which is due the wonderful upbuilding and advancement of the Golden
state. His genial manner renders him popular and he is accounted one of the
prominent residents of Brighton township.

.MORRIS r.RlXX.

For fortv vears a prominent business man and successful merchant at
Sutter Creek, .\matlor county, was Mr. Erinn, who is a native of Germany,
born on- the 20th of June, 1838. His parents were William and Rachel
(Joseph) Brinn. His father was a merchant of Germany, and both he and
his wife were of the Hebrew faith. He attained the very advanced age of
ninety-two years, while she passed away at the age of seventy-one. In their
family were six children, all of whom are now living.

Mr. Brinn, of this review, was educated in his native county and in
1855 came to the United States, whither two of his brothers had i^receded
him, locating in California in 1850. They were then engaged in business
in Butte City, Amador county, wdiere he joined them, acting as a clerk in
their establishment for five years, or until i860, w^hen he came to Sutter
Creek and began business on his own account as a general merchant. Here
he has remained through four decades, yet may be said to have been con-
nected with the mercantile interests of Amador county for forty-five years.
In 1873 he erected the business block that he now occupies. — a substantial
structure thirty-five by one hundred feet, with a basement under the entire
building. The' large store is filled from top to bottom w'ith an extensive and
well selected stock of general merchandise, and by close application to Inisiness.
honorable methods and reliable dealing Mr. Brinn has secured a very ex-
tensive trade, which has lirought to him a good income. He has the resiiect
and confidence of the public and the esteem of his business associates.

In 1866 Mr. Brinn was tmitetl in marriage to Miss Rose Marks and they
have two daughters. Stella and Ray. lK>th at home. The Brinn household
is noted for its hospitality and the members of the family occujiy cnvialilc po-



OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. 487

sitions in social circles. Their residence is a comfortable and attractive one
and yw. Brinn has also a dwelling in San Francisco. In addition to these he
owns large mining interests and other property in the county, all of which
has been acquired through his well directed efforts.

A life-long Republican, he has been unswerving in his support of the
principles advanced by the party and he is now serving his county in the
important position of county supervisor. He has filled all the offices in both
branches of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and has represented his
lodge in the grand lodge. He is also a valued member of the Masonic fra-
ternity, is a past master of the blue lodge, past high priest of the chapter and
has attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish rite. He is very widely
and favorably known in Masonic circles and throughout Amador county
he has a wide acquaintance, his friends being drawn to him by his many
excellent qualities and characteristics. His hope of bettering his financial con-
dition in America has been more than realized, for he has not only gained
a good living but has won a handsome competence which numbers him among
the substantial residents of his adopted county. Marked business and ex-
ecutive ability, keen discernment and the power of planning and executing
the right thing at the right time have been salient features in his success.

GEORGE K. RIDER.

George K. Rider is numbereil among the capitalists of Sacramento city,
a position which he has attained through his own energy, business ability,
diligence and resolute purpose. Industry is the golden key which unlocks
the portals of success. Possessed of these elements in a high degree, Mr.
Rider has steadily worked his way upward. He was born in Wellsville, Co-
lumbiana county, Ohio, October 14, 1844, and is a son of John Rider, whose
birth occurred on the 13th of March, 1815, in Jefferson county, Ohio, his
parents being George and Jane (Gulp) Rider, both of whom were natives
of Pennsylvania. The great-grandfather of our subject, however, was born
in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, and liecame the founder of the Rider family
in America. John Rider, the father of our subject, was early employed on
a flatboat on the Ohio river. He married Nancy Ann Stoakes, who was
born in Harrison county, Ohio, August 6, 1819, a daughter of John and
Nancy (Tillingham) Stoakes. Her father was born in London, England,
and her mother was a native of New Jersey. In September, 1852, John
Rider came with his family to California, making the journey aCTOSs the
plains. Here in Sacramento he engaged in contracting and building until
March, 1869, when he was elected street commissioner for a term of six
years. On the expiration of that jieriod he retired to the old home place,
at the corner of A and Eighteenth streets, and put aside all business cares.
He cast his first presidential vote for William Henry Harrison and on the
organization of the Republican party joined its ranks, continuing one of its
stalwart advocates until his death, which occurred January 8, 1901. His
wife died in Sacramento, at the age of seventy- four years and six months.



488 REPRESEXTATIVE CITIZEXS

George K. Rider continued under the parental roof during Iiis minority
or until the call for troops was issued during the Civil war, when he re-
sponded and joined the Union army, as a member of Company G, Second
California Cavalry. He enlisted for three years, but on account of the close
of the war was honorably discharged. He held the rank of corporal. On
his return from the army he became cemnected with the Southern Pacific



Online LibraryChicago Standard Genealogical Publishing CompanyA Volume of memoirs and genealogy of representative citizens of northern California, including biographies of many of those who have passed away → online text (page 63 of 108)