Chicago Standard Genealogical Publishing Company.

A Volume of memoirs and genealogy of representative citizens of northern California, including biographies of many of those who have passed away online

. (page 79 of 108)
Online LibraryChicago Standard Genealogical Publishing CompanyA Volume of memoirs and genealogy of representative citizens of northern California, including biographies of many of those who have passed away → online text (page 79 of 108)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


namely: Caroline S. and Irene Ruth. They have a nice home in Dutch
Flat and its generous hospitality is enjoyed by their many friends.

Mr. Jordan is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. In
politics he is a stalwart Republican, joining the party at an early period in its
history. He lost his left arm while loading a cannon during the second Lin-
coln campaign: but he has never swerved in his loyalty to his party, wh.ich
saved the Union during the Civil war, which has ever been the chamijinn
of American rights and liberties, the protector of American industries and
now favors national expansion. It is a record of which he is justly proud;
and throughout his active business career he has ever kept well informed on
the issues of the day. so that he has been able to support his position by intelli-
gent argument.

\\illia:\i ixgra:\i

William Ingram is the pioneer druggist of Lincoln. Placer county, and
in the conduct of his business has reached the goal of prosperity, which is
the destination of every man who enters business life: but many tall by the
wayside. Persistency of purpose is a strong element in success, and to this
is due in a large measure the gratifying results which have attended the
efforts of Mr. Ingram. He was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania,
in 1834, and during his infancy was taken by his parents to Virginia, in
which state he was reared and educated. His father, David Ingram, was of
Scotch lineage and during his boyhood located in Pennsylvania with an elder
brother. He continued to reside in the Keystone state until after he had
arrived at years of maturity and was married there to Miss Mary Barton,
a native of Pennsylvania and a descendant of one of the early families there.
As before said, they removed to the Old Dominion and the father became
one of the prosperous and influential farmers of his locality. Later in life
he engaged in merchandising in the town of Hamilton, where he remained
until his life's lalx)rs were ended in death, when he had attained the age
of seventy-four years. His wife survived him and passed away at the age
(if eigh.ty-two years. They were members of the Presbyterian church and
their many excellent qualities assured them a place in the regard of those
with whom they were associated. They became the parents of ten children,
fi\-e of whom are now living.



604 REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS

William Ingram pursued his studies in the schools of New Cumljer-
land, Virginia, and in 1855, when nineteen years of age, came to California,
making the journey by way of the isthmus. He sailed from New York,
arriving in San Francisco in February, and from the Golden Gate he pro-
ceeded inland to Sierra county, where he secured mining claims and met with
good success in the search for gold. The largest nugget which he ever found
was valued at sixteen dollars. Later he joined a large company who had drift
mines. He followed mining three years and though he took out considerable
gold sunk most of it in mining ventures which jjroved unprofitable. Subse-
quently he was engaged in teaming lietween IVIarysville and Goodyear's Bar
and ether mining camps, that business at the time proving a very paying
one. The subject of this review was part owner of the Down East mine,
a drift property, in which he sunk a shaft one hundred and ten feet deep. He
afterward .sold the mine for twenty-two hundred dollars and engaged in the
livery business, in which he met with success; but in icS62 a fire destroyed
his i)roperty, causing the loss of about four thousand dollars, ^\'ith charac-
teristic energy, however, he rebuilt and resumed business, continuing in that
line until 1866, when he sold out and removed to Sutter county, w^here he
purchased two hundred acres of land. There he erected a residence and
continued farming operations for a year and a half: but he suffered with,
malaria there and in consequence disposed of his property, selling it for four
thousand dollars. On the expiration of that period he removed to Marys-
ville and again engaged in the livery business for a year and a half. He
next came to Lincoln, in 1871. It was then a town of little importance,
lacking enterprise, but he opened a general mercantile store, which he ccm-
ducted for ten years, when he sold most of his stock, since which time he
has given his attention solely to the drug department of his business. He.,
has the leading- drug store in the town, having a first-class establishment,
fitted up with everything in his line. His identification with the business
interests of the place and his services in official cai)acities have contributed
in a large measure to the i)rogress and advancement of the city. He owns
in connection with his stnrc a cnniniddinus residence and a ranch near the
town.

Tn politics he has always been a stalwart l^epublican since the organiza-
tion of the party and for nineteen and one-half years has served as the ]X5st-
master of Lincoln, during which time he has made many impro\-ements in the
office and its business has largeh' increased. He received his first appoint-
ment from President Grant and later was appointed by President Harrison.
He was also deputy sheriff of Placer county under High Sheriff ^nhw Butler,
and his official services were discharged with promptness and fidelity. He
is a valued member of the Masonic fraternity, having been made a Mason
in St. Louis Lodge, in Sierra county, in 1856. He has been the treasurer
of the lodge in Lincoln twenty-five years and is one of the most highly
esteemed and exemplary members of the order, in his life showing forth its
benevolent and ennobling principles.

Tn 1866 occurred the marriage of Mr. Ingram and Miss Corinne Flint,



OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. 605

a native of ^Maryland, wlio in 1864 came to California. She is a daughter
of Dr. Joseph FHnt. Mr. Ingram has foiu" sons : J. Clarence, the eldest, is
now a druggist in the United States Navy, heing in charge of the marine hos-
pital at Agana, Guam. William D. is now the postmaster of Lincoln and is
also in charge of a drug store. George B. is engaged in the drug business in
Keswick and is also the express agent there, while Ralph is in the same
town and in his business life is an eng-ineer. The daughter, Estella C, became
the wife of R. G. Allen and departed this life in the twenty-eighth year of
her age, leaving a little son, Clinton G. Allen, who is now living with his
grandjiarents, as does Rhoda Ingram, a daughter of the eldest son. Mr.
and ]\lrs. Ingram are valued members of the Congregational church. They
ha\-e long resided in the town, where their circle of friends is limited only by
the cnxle of their acquaintances.

LY^IAN L. HUNTLEY.

Of good old Revolutionary stock is Lyman L. Iluntley descended, and
this indicates the antiquity of the name in America. His ancestors were of
Scotch-English lineage and came to the new world at an early epoch in the
history of America and took up their abode in Connecticut. Amos Huntlev,
the grandfather of our subject, loyally joined the pioneers when the yoke
of oi^pression became intolerable and fought for the independence and estab-
lishment of the republic. Harlo Huntley, the father of our subject, was borri
in Connecticut and removed to Allegany county, New York, where he mar-
ried ]\Iiss Almira Partridge, who was born in Massachusetts. Two chil-
dren were born to them in that county, Lyman L. and a daughter. With
their family they removed to Erie county, Pennsylvania, and subsequently
to Ashtabula county, Ohio, where they resided for ten years. On the expira-
tion of that period they became residents of Pike county, Illinois, where they
passed the residue of their lives, each attaining to a ripe old age. The father
was a carpenter, and by following that occupation provided for his fam-
ily. He was a good citizen and an honorable man. His wife was a valued
member of the Methodist church and her training and influence bad marked
effect over the lives of her twelve children, ten of whom are still living.

Lyman L. Huntle\- is the eldest of the surviving members of the family.
He was born in Allegany county. New York, September 8, 1826. and was
educated in the public schools of Illinois and of Ashtabula county. Ohio. At
the nee of twenty-one he chose as a companion and helpmate on life's jour-
ney Miss Matilda Brown. Three years later, in 1850, he started for Cali-
fornia, attracted by the discovery of gold on the Pacific coast. He drove
a Inill team across the plains and traveled with a company that left St.
J<isei)h, Missouri, with five wagons. Theirs was the first wagon train that
reached California by way of the Truckee trail. The party that bad preceded
them on that route had been attacked by the Indians and they saw the bones
of the stock ai'd skeletons of the men that bad been eaten by the covotes. On
reacliing that Jocality the party with which >ilr. Huntley traveled drove on as



635 REPRESEXTATirE CITIZENS

rapidly as possible, and when dusk arri\ed they left the trail and camped halt
a mile distant. They abandoned their wagons and slept at a distance
from them without making fires. When they returned to the wagons in the
morning they found everything unmolested. In crossing the desert they
stopped at Hell's Half Acre, and when they were within about seven miles of
the Truckee they saw Indians aiming toward them on horseback. They
feared mischief, but found they belonged to the friendly Oregon tribe: so
the)' camjied together on the banks of the Truckee river and tried to catch
fish there : but met with poor success. In going through the Truckee canyon
the trail crossed the river twenty-nine times in thirty miles, but the river
was so high that they could not ford it and they met with great difficulty in
keeping along the sides of the steep canyon. The following day Mr. Hunt-
ley and another of the party left the company to see if they could kill some
kind of game, and about eleven o'clock they ran into a band of about one
hundred naked Indians who started in pursuit of them. Mr. Huntley and
his companions turned and ran to the top of the ridge, but the Indians ran
around and headed them of¥ from the road and they did not get back to the
road until sundown, and it was midnight l)efore they overtook their com-
pany. As their supply of provisions ran short they were obliged to kill
one of the oxen for food; and- as they had had no meat for some time
three of the men ate too much and were very sick. Thus many hardships and
trials were experienced ere they reached the old Donner cabins. The snows
and rains had washed great boulders down the mountain and they reached
the summit with great difficulty. After getting the wagons uj) the steep
incline the well members of the party had to return for the sick men.
who had given up to die. and Mr. Huntley and his companions were obliged
to use whips in order to compel them to make an effort to proceed on their
journey, otherwise they would have frozen to death! They traveled some
miles before camping and ultimately met men coming out to meet emigrants,
from whom they purchased seven pounds of flour, at a dollar a pound. They
had an e(|ually hard time in getting down the nmimtain side on the California
trail, but thially reached camp within four miles nf where .\evada City n. iw
stands.

^:'r. Huntley first engage*! in mining on Michigan Bar and on the Co-
.sumne river, where he remained for six weeks, making from five to six dol-
lars per day. He then followed mining near Drytown. in Amador county,
with only moderate success and did not save much. In 1853 his wife joined
him. having made the journey across the plains accompanied by their little
daughter, E.stella Jane, who is now the wife of John Hull. Mr. Huntley
continued in Amador county until 1H57. and then removed to San Joaquin
county, where he secured the farm upon which he has since resided. Fiiom
time to time he addetl to his laud until he was the owner of fourteen hun-
dred acres. More recently he has disjiosed of this, reserving onlv one hun-
dred and eighty acres and a good residence. Thus he has put aside the bur-
dens and cares of business life and is enjoying a well deserved rest.

In 1896 Mr. Huntley was called upon to mourn the loss of his wife, who



OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. 607

died at tlie age of sixty-eiglit years. Slie liad been to him a faithful help-
mate on life's journey, and a kind and indulgent mother. Nine children have
been born of their union, all of whom are yet living, as follows : Julia, now
the widow of David Dean Hohn and a resident of Sacramento; Frances E.,
the wife of John F. Warner; Hattie G., the wife of William Boyd, a resident
of Spokane. Washington: Laura A., the wife of Thomas Crow, a resident of
Calaveras county; Edith, at home; Susie, the wife of John W. Streetwater,
of San Francisco; Edwin E.. who is married and resides in Stanislaus county;
Robert P., who also is married and resides in Stanislaus county; and Jesse
H., who is married and makes his home in San Joaquin county.

Mr. Huntley has been a life-long Republican, but has never sought or
desired office, preferring- to give his attention to his business affairs, in which
he has met with very creditable success. His work has been prosecuted
along well defined lines of labor and his unflagging industry has added
annually to his income vmtil he is now the possessor of a very handsome
competence. He is not connected with any church or society, but is widely
recognized as a man of sterling worth, and in his upright and useful life has
gained not only success but has also won a g'ood name, which is rather to be
chosen than great riches.

OSWALD HARDIE.

Oswald Hardie is the marshal and ex-ofticin tax cullector c^f the cil\' of
Placerville. Although a native of Scotland, Eldorado county has no more
loyal or patriotic resident. He was born August 3, 1835. and belonged to
an old family of the lowlands. His father, Thomas Hardie. was a native
of the same country and was married there to Miss Ellen McPherson, by
whom he had twelve children. In 1852 they crossed the Atlantic, becoming
residents of the new world. In Illinois they made their home until 1857,
when they came to Eldorado county, California, but subsequently the father
removed to San Luis Obispo county, this state, where he died at the ad-
vanced age of eighty-f(iur years. His wife died soon after their arrival in
the United States, in the fiftieth year of her age. Six of their children are
still living.

]\Ir. Hardie. of this review, obtained his education in the schools of
Scotland and before leaving his native land he learned the tailor's trade. In
1851, when a lad of sixteen j-ears, he bade adieu to home and friends and
took passage on the ship Junior of Glasgow, commanded by Captain Turner.
They met with strong head winds and the passage was a very stormy one:
thirteen weeks and four davs ]jassed before they reached the American har-
bor. Mr. Hardie's elder brother had preceded him to the lead mines at
(jalena, Illinois, and there our subject joined him, working in the lead mines
until 1857, when he became a resident of California, making the journey
hither by way of the isthmus route. Two of his brothers had already come to
this siate and Mr. Hardie was accompanied by his sister. He proceeded to
Grizzly Flats, where the family owned mining interests, and he there en-



6o8 REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS

gagcil in a search for the precious metal lor a number of years, meeting with
fairly good success. When the great Civil war burst upon the country and
the stability of the Union was threatened by the attempt at secession in the
south, he enlisted in the First California Volunteer Infantry and served in
Xew Mexico and Texas, taking part in the warfare against the Indians.
His term of service expired on the ist of January. 1864, and he then re-
enlisted in the First Veteran \'olunteer Camp of California and served until
he was honoral^ly discharged at San Francisco, on the 31st of December,
1866. He was promoted from the ranks and filled the position of orderly
sergeant during the last twx) years of liis service. He was engaged in a num-
ber of battles with the Apaches, in which quite a large number of the men
of his regiment were killed ; but he returned in safety.

Going to Placerville. 'Mr. Hardie was engaged in the operation of a
sawmill for six years. He also worked in the store of \\'ilcox & Brown, a
large general mercantile establishment. Subsequently he conducted the Sports-
men's Hall on the Carson road for five years. In that enterprise he met
Avith a fair degree of prosperity. He has since done considerable prospecting
and has been employed as night watchman at Placerville for fourteen years.
On the reorganization of the city he was chosen by his fellow townsmen to the
office of marshal and ex-officio tax collector, and in those capacities he is now
discharging his duty with credit to himself and satisfaction of all concerned.
He was elected on the 17th of April, 1900. and his course has shown that the
confidence rejxjsed in him was well placed.

Mr. Hardie was united in marriage, in 1868. to Mrs. Margaret Lansey,
a widow, and tliey now have three children: Agnes, William and David.
In 1887 his wife died, and two years later he married Harriet Slocum. He
is a prominent and active member of the Grand Army of the Republic and
has filled all of the offices of the post, having been its commander for eight
terms. He is a valued member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows
and a citizen of sterling worth who has many warm friends in Placerville
and tlif surrounding country.

GEORGE W. COULTER.

On the roll of those who arrived in California in 1849 appears the name of
George Wilson Coulter, and as one of the honored pioneers of the state well
does he deserve mention in this volume; but not alone on that account, as for
more than half a century he has been active in advancing a substantial upbuild-
ing of the commonwealth and the town of Coulterville. his works standing as
monuments to his enterprise and progressive spirit. He is now the owner of
the Coulter Hotel at Chinese Station, conducting a popular and well-appointed
hostelry.

Mr. Coulter is a native of Pennsylvania, his birth having occurred in
"Westmoreland county du the utli of July. 1818. His parents, Joseph and
]\Iarv (Wilson) Coulter, were both natives of the Keystone state and were
descended from good old Revolutionary stock, their ancestors having aided



OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. 609

ill the establishment of American independence. The father died in the
forty-sixth year of his age and the motlier passed away at tlie age of eiglity-
seven, having long survived her husband.

George Wilson Coulter, the eldest of their six children, was educated
in the conimou schools, and when the country became engaged in war with
IMexico he joined the American forces and with his command proceeded
to Santa Fe, where he was stationed until hostilities had ceased. He then
received an honorable discharge and returned to the east, to his family, for
ill the meantime he had married, in Pennsylvania, Miss Margaret Back-
house, a descendant of an old Philadelphia family. They resided in St. Louis,
Missouri, from 1843 ""til 1846, then INlr. Coulter served in the Mexican war
a year. Next he removed with his wife and two little sons to Santa Fe where
another son, George, was born. There he engaged in conducting a hotel
until the discovery of gold in California, when, hoping to benefit his financial
condition, he crossed the plains from Santa Fe to Mariposa, where he engaged
in mining until the 5th of November, 1849. He then went to San Jose and
after passing the winter in that place he returned in the following spring to
Mariposa, where he resumed his mining operations. In connection with a
partner he took out a nugget valued at four hundred and seventy dollars,
and on another occasion took out one worth three hundred and fifteen dol-
lars. Two months' labor resulted in bringing to him twenty-four hundred dol-
lars, raid with the capital he had thus acquired he opened a store on Merced
ri\-er, at the mouth of Solomon's Gulch. Subsequently he founded the town
which has since born his name, — Coulterville, — and there erected a number
of liuildings and was its leading citizen for a long period, continuing to make
it his principal place of abode until 1897. In the meantime he conducted a
hotel at the Yosemite for two years, and in 1897 he erected his hotel at
Chinese Station. The Sierra Railroad had just been completed to James-
town. He built a neat and substantial hotel building, conveniently arranged
for the purpose, and has since been identified with the business and public
interests of Chinese Station.

In 1 85 1 ?^Ir. Coulter was joined by his wife and three children, Joseph
S., .\r,gney and George. After their arrival in California the family was
increased by the birth of a son and a daughter, — Alexander Stair and Anna
M. The last named and George are now the only surviving children of the
family. The daughter is the wife of George W. Kenney, who resides at the
Yosemite during the summer months, and has a winter home in Madera.
Mrs. Coulter departed this life in 1890, having traveled happily by the side
of her husband on the journey of life for fifty-one and one-half years. She
had been to him a most faithful companion and helpmate, and her venerable
husband feels her loss keenly. His son George is now associated with him in
the hotel business and relieves him of the care and responsibility connected
with its conduct.

In his political affiliations he has been a life-long l^emocrat. His career
has l)een one of uprightness in which he has shaped his life by manly principles,



6io REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS



ami tliose who know liiin render Iiini the xeneratiun and respect whicli should
ever be accorded those who have advanced far on ht'e's journew Mr. Conlter
now having passed the eighty-second milestone.

FR.VXXIS XE^\TO^■ SPFA-CER.

This gentleman is one of the well and favorably known old timers of
Placerville. He came to the town in 1852 and has since been one of her highly
respected public men. ^Iv. Spencer is a nati\e of Missouri, born January 18.
1840. and is a son of Lorenzo Spencer, one of California's pioneers. Lorenzo
Spencer was born in 181 2. in New Hampshire, whence at an early day he
went to Ohio, where he subsequently married Miss Fannie Maria Rudd, of
that state. They removed to Missouri, later to Iowa, and from the latter
state to California, crossing the plains, in 1852, with oxen, bringing with them
their family of four children, three of whom are now living, namely : Fran-
cis X. and Edwin, both residents of Placerville; and Mary, now Mrs. Francis
McCormick. The father, a blacksmith and carriage-maker, worked at his
trade successfully for a number of years, but later turned his attention to
fruit-growing, planting fifty-five acres to fruit. He was one of the first to
show that the soil in this locality was adapted for fruit production. Botii
he and his wife departed this life some years ago, his death occurring in
February, i88g, at the age of seventy-seven; hers in 1887, at the age of
sixty-eight. Both were consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal church
and stood high in the esteem of the people among whom they lived. At one
time he had the honor of ser\ing as alderman of his town. He was not, how-
ever, what might be called a public man ; he was retiring in disposition and
gave his time and attention chiefly to his own ])rivate affairs.

Francis X. Spencer was twelve years old when he arrived at Placer-
ville. He was educated in the public schools of this town, and, like many
others, at that early day, was for a number of years engaged in freighting, -
from Sacramento to Xevada City. His freighting outfit consisted of twelve
horses and two wagons. As showing the profit there was in the business
al that time, we state that Mr. Spencer received as high as one thousand and
fifty dollars for a single load of freight! .After freighting and teaming for
several years Mr. Spencer was elected to the t)fiice of road overseer, an office
which he filled seven years, during that time doing much to bring about a
better condition of the roads. After this he was elected conjner and public
administrator, which offices he filled eight consecutive years, having been three
times re-elected. The next public oftice filled by him was that of assessor of
Eldorado county, and in this place he served two terms of four years each.
Since 1889 he has not been in public life, Init has been practically retired,



Online LibraryChicago Standard Genealogical Publishing CompanyA Volume of memoirs and genealogy of representative citizens of northern California, including biographies of many of those who have passed away → online text (page 79 of 108)