Chicago Standard Genealogical Publishing Company.

A Volume of memoirs and genealogy of representative citizens of northern California, including biographies of many of those who have passed away online

. (page 99 of 108)
Online LibraryChicago Standard Genealogical Publishing CompanyA Volume of memoirs and genealogy of representative citizens of northern California, including biographies of many of those who have passed away → online text (page 99 of 108)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of the family of five children, only two of whom are now living. He enjoyed
excellent educational privileges, completing the work of the sophomore year
in the State University of California. He then turned his attention to the
sheep-raising industry, with which he was connected for a number of years,
and later he was extensively and successfuly engaged in farming until 1887,
wlien he was elected the assessor of Stanislaus county, in which capacity he



755 REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS

served so acceptably that he was re-elected, discharging the duties of that
olifice with promptness and tidelit}^ through a period of eight years. On retir-
ing from office he resumed farming and is now the owner of one thousand
acres of land, which he operates in connection with an additional twelve hun-
dred acres which he leases. He is one of the most extensive wheat-raisers
in this portion of the state. In the period of the early development of Cali-
fornia mining was almost the sole industry of the people, but the rush of emi-
grants was so great that all could not profitably engage in the search for
gold, and some in consequence turned their attention to other pursuits. Thus
it was learned what splendid resources California offered to the agriculturist
and horticulturist, its fields and gardens giving an almost phenomenal yield
in return for the care and labor bestowed upon them. Mr. Tulloch is among
those who are successfully following agricultural pursuits and he is thor-
oughly conversant with the best methods of farming and is a man of
undaunted industi-y and enterprise, as is indicated by the excellent results
which attend his operations.

In 1875 ^^i"- Tulloch was united in marriage to Aliss Anna Bell Patter-
son, of San Joaquin county. Their marriage has been blessed with four
children: Earl P. and Charles W., who are at home; Anna Bell, now a stu-
dent of the State University; and John W., who died in 1879, an infant.

j\Ir. Tulloch became a charter member of Fresno Lodge, F. & A. ^L.
was honored with election to the office of master and is now the master of
Oakdale Lodge, No. 275, in which he is laboring earnestly to promote the wel-
fare of the craft. He also belongs to the Royal Arch Chapter. Throughout
his life he has been a stanch Democrat and is widely known as a man of
integrity and uprightness, reliable as a citizen, straightforward in business
life, and faithful in friendship and to the ties of private life. Since his second
year he has resided in California and feels a just pride in the advancement
and progress of the state.

JOHX ERTLE. ■

Faithful to the puljlic trust. John Ertle is now capablv serving as the
postmaster at Rocklin, his administration of the affairs of the office being-
prompt, business-like and practical. Such men are ever of worth in the com-
munity in which they reside, and as a representative citizen of Placer county
John Ertle well deserves representation in this volume.

He was born in Massillon, Stark county, Ohio, on the 23d of August,
1840, his parents being Frederick and Regina Ertle, both of whom were
natives of Germany. On leaving the fatherland they crossed the Atlantic to
America, accompanied b}' their four children and located in Mas.sillon, Ohin.
where eight more children were added to the family. The father was called
to the life be3'ond in the sixty-third year of his age, but the mother, long
surviving him, attained the advanced age of eighty-eight years. They were
honest, industrious people, highly respected by all with wliom they came
in contact.



OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. 7S7

John Ertle \vas the youngest of their large famih-. lie was educated in
his native town and in i860 he came to Cahfornia, saihng on the Aerial from
New York city to the isthmus, while the voyage on the Pacific waters was
made as a passenger on board the Champion. He arrived in San Francisco
and thence made his way to Pine Gro\'e, where he engaged in placer mining,
working for others. Subsequently he went to Weaverville, Trinity county,
where he was engaged in mining on his own account; but, in answer to the
call of President Lincoln for volunteers to preser\-e the Union,- he enlisted,
in September, i86i,-as a member of Company H, Fourth Regiment of Cali-
fornia Infantry. The regiment was organized at Auburn, Placer county,
and was stationed at Camp Union, near Sacramento, and at Camp Lathan,
in Los Angeles county. Their duty was to suppress the strong secession ele'-
ment in California. After thirteen months' service with his regiment JNIr.
Ertle was taken ill and was finally given an honorable discharge on account
disability.

At Rocklin he has engaged in blacksmithing for a number of years.
In February, 1898, he was appointed postmaster of the town by President
McKinley. He removed the office to the central portion of the town, added
a number of new boxes, and has made it one of the most convenient post-
offices in the county. He is giving to his official duties his bes,t attention
and is an obliging, courteous and capable official. He has been a life-long
Republican, yet has never been an aspirant for office. His appointment at
Rocklin, however, has given the fullest satisfaction to his townsmen, wdio
recognize his fidelity and sterling worth. The same loyalty, which Mr. Ertle
manifested in responding to his country's call for aid he has ever shown in
discharging his duties of citizenship. His life has been one of industrious,
honorable toil, and the qualities which everywhere secure success have
brought him to a comfortable competence.

In 1867 occurred the marriage of Mr. Ertle and Miss ]\Iary E. Davis, a
native of Ohio, and a daughter of H. A. P. Davis, of ^Massillon, that state.
She arrived in California in the fall of i860, and by her marriage has become
the mother of seven children, of wdiom four are Hving, namely: William J.,
who is now carrying on the blacksmith business in Rocklin ; Charles Albert ;
Ella Frances, the wdfe of C. M. Hamlin, of Sierraville ; and Agnes, at home.
They have a very pleasant residence in Rocklin, which was erected in 1890.
The- family enjoy the good will and respect of their fellow townsmen and the
hospitality of the best homes of the place is extended to them.

PHILETUS B. CLARK.

Philetus B. Clark, of Colfax, Placer county, California, came to this
state in 1853. He is a native of Vermont, born Xoveml)er 8. 1833, and is
descended from Welch ancestors, who were among the early settlers of Massa-
chusetts. Two brothers by the name of Clark came -from Wales, one of them
settling in Virginia and the other in Massachusetts, the latter being the
ancestor of our sulijcct. Xoah Clark, Mr. Clark's great-grandfather took



758 REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS

an active part in the affairs (if the colijny of Massachusetts, and his grand-
father was a participant in the Revolution. Philetus Clark was born in South
Hampton, Massachusetts, and spent the most of his hfe as a Presbyterian
minister in New England. He married Miss Irene Brown, a native of Ver-
mont. In 1847, 'lis \-oice faihng, he retired from the ministry and purchased
a farm in Rutland county, Vermont, where he resided for six years, until he
regained his voice, after which he had a charge in Sharon, New Hampshire,
and later in Sharon, Massachusetts. He reached the ripe old age of eighty-
one years and died in Memphis, Tennessee, at the home of his daughter
Amelia, wife of Lewis Knowlton Ristwoch.

Mr. Clark's mother died when he was one year old and he lived with
his grandfather Clark until his fifth year, when his father married again
and he then lived with him, receiving his early education from his father,
and later attended Castleton Seminary, in Vermont, and the seminary in
South Hampton. Afterward he became a clerk in a dry-goods store in
Boston, where he remained until 1849, ^vhen he went to South Bend. Indi-
ana, clerking there until 1853. That year he came to California, making the
journey overland as one of a party composed of thirty-eight men and twelve
women. Their outfit consisted of one hundred and forty horses, forty mules,
fourteen lar_ge wagons, a carriage, and a conveyance containing medicines.
Nothing of particular interest happened to Mr. Clark on this journey, except-
ing that, while hunting one day, he drank alkali water, the efl^ects of which
nearly caused his death. One member of the company, a Mr. Goode, was
taken ill with blood poisoning and died. Mr. Clark gave twenty dollars for
the privilege of burying him inside of an enclosure. The place is now the
site of the town Genoa. The Indians were somewhat troublesome at different
points along the way, but the company were well armed and cautious and
■were not attacked by the red men.

]\Ir. Clark passed through Hangtown, now Placer\ille, on his way to
Sacramento, and at the latter place secured a position in the store of \\'erner
& Company, at the corner of Fourth and K streets, at a salary of one hundred
and eighty dollars per month. He remained there, however, only eight
months. Being desirous of trying his fortune in the mines, he left the store
and v.-ent to Iowa Hill, Placer county, where he engaged in placer and tunnel-
mining. He made money on contract work, but his own tunnels never paid.
In 1855 he went to Georgetown. About this time, being in poor health, he
%vas advised to engage in the butchering business, which he did, and was
thus occupied for eight months. After regaining his health he purchased a
meat wagon and sold lieef all over the county, driving sixteen miles every
day. This he continued until 1864. Since 1866 he has been a resident of
Colfax. That year he pin-chased a meat market here, which he conducted suc-
cessfully for a period of tliirly-one years, or until 1897. when he retired from
active business, with a comfortable competency, the result of liis years of
lionest industry.

In 1863 Mr. Clark married ]\Iiss Elizabeth Kitching. and of the seven
■children born to them all arc living except one. They are as follows: Amelia;



OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. 759

]\Iay, wife of George Griffin; Nellie, wife of A. D. Fenton ; Charles and Will-
iam, both residents of Colfax; and Jda, wife of Richard Montgonicrv. Polit-
ically, Mr. Clark is a strong Rei)ul)lican: fraternally, a member of the Chosen
Friends. ,

;\Ir. Clark owns a pleasant home, surrounded by a beautiful garden, in
\\h\c\\ he busies himself, and it may be said of him that he is living in peace
and happiness under the vines and fruit trees planted by his own hands.

FREDERICK W. LOWE, Isl. D.

Although one of the yotmger representatives of the medical profession in
Stanislaus county. Dr. Lowe is enjoying a large and lucrative practice as a
physician and surgeon. His 3'ears seem no bar to his success, for he has pre-
pared himself carefully for the discharge of the important duties which devolve
upon him, and his skill and ability, both natural and acquired, have enabled
him to capably minister to the needs of the sick and suffering at Knights Ferry
and through the adjoining country.

The Doctor was born at Knights Ferry, on the 8th of September, 1870,
and is a son of Dr. James Humble Lowe, one of the early physicians of Stan-
islaus county, where for many j-ears he practiced with splendid success. He
was born in Loitisiana, on the 20th of June, 1836, and was graduated from the
medical department of the State University of Louisiana, in 1858. He then
engaged in practice in his native state and during the Ci\'il war, served as sur-
geon in the Confederate army. He was wounded by the explosion of a shell,
but recovering he remained at his post of duty until the cessation of hostilities.
After the close of the war he engaged in the practice of medicine and in the
raising of cattle in Louisiana until 186S. when he determined to take up his
abode in California, arriving at Knights Ferry in February, of that year. For
thirt3 - two years he was an honored and valued member of the medical frater-
nity of Stanislaus county. In the early days he rode on horseback forty or
fifty miles to minister to the suffering people of the community, never refusing
to respond to a call no matter what hardships were entailed thereby. Added
to his excellent ability and careful preparation his was a very generous and no-
h\e spirit which prompted him to put aside all personal wishes when his fellow
men needed his professional services. He responded as freely to the call of
the poor as to the rich, never stopping to consider whether he woukl receive
remuneration for his services. Fie won the love and respect of many and liis
memory is enshrined in the hearts of a very large circle of friends. He was
a member of the Masonic fraternity and in his life exemplified its benevolent
principles. On the i6th of October, 1900, he was called to his final rest and
liis loss was deeply and sincerely mourned throughout his portion of the state.

Dr. James Lowe had been happil}- married on the 18th of Xovember.
1869, to Miss Hulla Maria Kapplemann, a native of Germany, but rearetl in
Wisconsin. Their union was blessed with four sons, all of whom are living,
and the good wife still siu-vives her husband, residing in a nice home which he
had provided for her in Knights Ferry. The sons are well known in business



76o REPRESENT ATIVE CITIZENS

circles and are as follows : Frederick \\'., whose name heads this record ;
Eugene, who is chief electrician on the United States gunboat, Castine ; ^Nlilus
O., who is an engineer; and C. D., who is in the railway postal service, his
route being between San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Dr. Frederick \V. Lowe of this review is the eldest of the family. His
common-school education was supplemented by a course in the University of
California and he was graduated from its medical department on the 13th of
December, 1892. For a year he was in the United States Alarine Hospital
and the Presidio. He then returned to his home in Knights Ferry and joined
his father in practice, the association between them continuing until the latter's
death. Dr. Lowe has since carried on the work laid down by his father and
is the only physician in the town. While in the hospital he gave special atten-
tion to surgery and is particularly well qualified in that branch of his chosen
work, but he engaged in general practice with excellent success. A member
of the ^lasonic fraternity he belongs to the- blue lodge, was one of the charter
members, and is past patron of the Eastern Star. In politics he is a Democrat,
prominent in the work of his party and is now serving on the Democratic
county central committee. He is a member of the board of school trustees
of the town in which he was born and in which he still makes his home, and
as a citizen he has ever been public-spirited and progressive, giving his support
to all measures calculated to prove of public benefit along social, moral, mate-
rial and intellectual lines.

JACOB S. TO^^•ER.

Forty-nine years have passed since Jacob S. Tower, now deceased, came
to California to cast his lot with the pioneers, and the period of his residence
here covered twenty-nine years. People of the present can scarcely realize
the struggles and dangers which attended the early settlers and the heroism
and self-sacrifice of lives passed upon the borders of civilization, the hardships
endured, the difficulties overcome. These tales of the early days read almost
like a romance to those who have known only modern prosperity and conven-
iences. To the pioneer of the early days, far removed from the privileges and
conveniences of city or town, the struggle for existence was a stern and hard
one. and those men and women must have possessed indomitable energies and
sterling worth of character as well as marked physical courage when they vol-
untarily selected such a life and successfully fought its battles under such cir-
cumstances as prevailed on the Pacific coast.

• Jacob S. Tower was a young man of twent} - thi»ee years when he took
up his residence in California. His early life was spent in the Green ^Mountain
state, his birth having occurred in Springfield, \"ermont, November 8, 1828.
There he remained until he determined to seek a fortune in the far west. He
came to California by way of the Panama route and secured work on the Gar-
celon" ranch, receiving one hundred dollars per month for his services. He
acted in the position of foreman, Init in 1855 he took up his abode on the
present Tower & Bisbee ranch at Salt Spring \^alley, Calaveras county, enter-




JACOB S. TOWER



OF XORTHERN CALIFORNIA. 761

ing into partnership with IMr. Bisbee. a relation which was maintained
thronghout the remainder of his bnsiness career. The_\- h\-ed together and con-
thicted tlieir enterprise in the most harmonious manner, both being imbued
with the principles of honesty, uprightness and consideration. They were
industrious and capable and success came to them as the result of their intelli-
gent efiforts. They carried on stock-raising on an extensive scale and acquired
the possession of a large, valuable ranch of twenty-four htmdred and eighty
acres, on which they erected a commodious residence, large barns and other
outbuildings, adding all the accessories of a model farm. Their home became
a noted and popular stopping place for teamsters and tra\-elers between Stock-
ton, Angel's Camp, Murphy's and the Big Trees.

The partners kept "bachelors" hall" until 1863, at which time Air. Tower
married Miss Alary E. Howard, a native of Ann Arbor, Alichigau, and a
daughter of James Howard, a native of England. There came to bless their
union eight children, of whom five are living: Henrietta became the wife of
Aldus Beck and resides in Oakland; Jacob F., the eldest son resides on a por-
tion of the farm and is interested in the butcher business; Willard H., Frank
S. and James A. are all living on the home farm. Air. Hower died in Alay,
1 88 1, at the age of fifty-one years. He was a lo\-ing, devoted husband and fa-
ther, and was a citizen of the highest integrity, being public-spirited and benev-
olent, doing everything in his power to advance the interests of his county. He
did gratuitousl}' much work to improve the condition of the roads in his vicin-
ity and thus became a public benefactor, for there was much travel over those
highways. He never withheld his support from any movement or measure
which he believed would contribute to the public good. In politics he was a:
stalwart Republican. All who knew Air. Tower respected him for his sterling
worth, and to his family he not only left a good property but also a good name,
which is rather to be chosen than great riches.

Since Air. Tower's death Mr. Alosher, a brother-in-law of Airs. Tower,
has resided upon the ranch and assisted in its management, until the sons were
old enough to assume the responsibility. The lady is a member of the Aleth-
odist Episcopal church. She possesses that too often rare cjuality of practical
common sense which is so important an element in business affairs. She is
most hospitable in her home and does all in her power to promote the comfort
and enjnyment of the guests who stop for entertainment at the Tower & Bis-
bee rancli.

J. J. .\xn C. H. AlERKLEY.

The name of Alcrkley is so well knnwn in central California in connec-
tion with agricultural and professional interests that these gentlemen scarcely
need an introduction to the readers of this volume, for they have always been
residents of the state and are now leading business men. actively associated
\vith interests that contribute not alone to their individual success, but also to
the general welfare of this city, for the prosperity of a community, in this
])resent utilitarian age, depends upon business activity. John J. Alerkley was



762 REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS

horn July i, 1865, and Charles 11. Alerkley was born September 28. 1868,
their birthplace benig the fanhl}- home near Sacramento. L'nder the parental
roof they spent the days of their childhood. Their residence is in Yolo connty,
just across the line from Sacramento, which is the market for the extensive
products of their farm. They are engaged in hop-growing on a \-ery large
scale. They have not only their farm in Volo connty, but are also proprietors
of a ranch in Sacramento county.

John J. Merkley was married, December 23, 1889, to Miss Elizabeth
Flanders, who was born in Sacramento county, and died at her home in Volo
county, leaving one daughter. The other child of that marriage died pron-
to the mother's death. On the 22d of November, 1893, Mr. Merkley was
again married, his second union being with Kate C. Flanders, a sister of his
first wife, by whom he has three children, a son and two daughters.

John J. Merkley remained at home until 1885, and then removed to his
present residence. In connection with his brother he owns two hundred and
two acres of land in Yolo county and two hundred and fifteen acres in Sacra-
mento county.

Judge C. H. ^Merkley continued under the parental roof until he had
attained his majority, the public schools of Sacramento affording him his
educational privileges. He was married, on the 5th of December, 1893, to
Miss Minnie Beitzel, who was born in Oakland, California. They now have
two children. After his marriage Judge Merkley located on the ranch and
has since devoted his energies largely to the management of his extensive
hop fields. In 1849 1''^ '^^''^s elected judge of Sutter township for a four-years
term and he filled the office so capably that he was re-elected in 1898 for a
second term of four years, so he is the present incumbent. The brothers both
cast their first presidential vote for Benjamin Harrison, in 1888.

HARRY T. GIBBS.

Harry T. Gibbs, who is engaged in general merchandising in Georgetown,
has spent his entire life in California. He was born in the old historic town of
Coloma, where Marshall first made the discovery of gold in 1848. His natal
dav was June 21, 1870. His father, W. B. Gibbs, was a California pioneer
and died when his son Harry was only three years of age, while the mother
passed away in 1892, at the age of fifty-four years. They left three children.
The eldest is now Mrs. William Brown, of Newcastle: the second is ^\"illiam B..
also of Newcastle ; and the youngest is Harry T. Gibbs.

The last named acquired his education in the public schools of George-
town and on putting aside his text-books he secured a situation as clerk in
the pioneer store of B. F. Shepherd, a prominent merchant of the early day-,
in whose service he remained for fifteen years. He closely applied himself to
his work, mastered the principles of the business and became one of the most
trusted employes of the house and at length was taken into partnership, a
connection which was continued for two years, on the expiration of wliich
period ?vlr. Shepherd, desiring to retire from the business, sold his interest



OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. 763

to Mr. Giblis and the latter has since been sole owner of the enterprise. He has
a double store, well stocked with an excellent line of general merchandise to
meet the wants of the farming and mining community around Georgetown and
also to supply the city trade. His patronage comes from over a radius of
nearly twent_\' miles and his business is therefore very extensive.

Mr. Gibbs may truly be said to be a self-made man whose advancement
in the world is due to his own industry, integrity and business talent. He
began as a poor boy in a humble clerkship, receiving but a small salary, but
to-day he is the owner of the establishment in which he entered upon his busi-
ness career. He is liberal, enterprising and public spirited and has a host of
warm friends in the county in which he has so long been widely and favorably
known. Close attention to business and honorable methods in trade made him
prominent in commercial circles and his prosperity is well earned. Socially
he is connected with the Chosen Friends. The advancement and progress
of Georgetown are dear to him, and he withholds his support from no move-
ment or measure which he l)elie\-es will contribute to the general good.

JA^IES B. HAYFORD.

James Barrows Hayford is a prominent citizen of Placer county and one
of her supervisors. He resides on his fruit farm at Sunny Side. He is a native
of Oxford county, Maine, born November 3, 1840, and is descended from
English ancestors, tracing back the lineage to the year 1190, the family origi-
nally belonging to the nobility. William Hayford, the progenitor of the
family in the United States, emigrated from England with his two brothers
at a very early date in the history of the colony of Massachusetts. Many



Online LibraryChicago Standard Genealogical Publishing CompanyA Volume of memoirs and genealogy of representative citizens of northern California, including biographies of many of those who have passed away → online text (page 99 of 108)