Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 119 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 119 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

and Virginia decided to unite her interests with those of the seced-
ing States. At this juncture he returned to Lexington and, in
April, 1861, became a private in the Rockbridge artillery. At
Falling Waters, on July 2d, he had the distinction of firing the
first gun in the valley of Virginia. Just after Manassas he was
made No. 4 at his gun, and after Kernstown he was promoted ser-
geant. The gallant Stonewall Jackson, under whom he served in
the valley and on many other famous fields, recommended him for
promotion to the rank of lieutenant, and, though the commission
never issued, the letter of recommendation, now in Mr. Moore's
possession, is as highly valued. During his career, Sergeant Moore
participated with his command in a long list of important engage-
ments, prominent among which were Falling Waters, First Ma-
nassas, Dam No. S on the Potomac, Kernstown, Jackson's fight
at Winchester, Cross Keys, Port Republic, Malvern Hill, Second
Manassas, Chantilly, a fight with gunboats on the Rappahannock,
Fredericksburg, second Fredericksburg, the defeat of Milroy at
Winchester, the second and third days at Gettysburg, Rappahan-
nock Bridge, Mine Run, Spottsylvania Court House, Second Cold
Harbor, Deep Bottom, below Richmond, New Market Heights,
fight with gunboats on the James river, engagement at Farmville
with Sheridan, Cumberland Church and Appomattox, where he
was paroled. He was slightly wounded in the first battle at Win-
chester and at Malvern Hill. At the close of this long and faithful
career with the array of Northern Virginia, Mr. Moore returned to
his old home at Lexington and began the study of law under Judge
John W. Brockenbrough, being admitted to the bar in April, 18^.
Since then he has been continuously engaged in the practice of his
profession at Lexington, rounding out an honorable and success-
ful career. In 1875 he was appointed prosecuting attorney of
Rockbridge county, to fill the vacancy caused by the death of his
father, who had held that office for nearly thirty years, and, sub-
sequently, he was elected and re-elected to the office until he had
served in all twenty years and six months. Mr. Moore, in his mil-
itary and civil career, has most worthily supplemented the previous
history of the Virginia families from which he is descended. His
grandfather, Moore, and his maternal grandfather, Matthew Har-
vey, both served in the war of the Revolution, the first as a captain
in Morgan's rifle corps, and the second as a soldier under Light
Horse Harry Lee.

Edward Alexander Moore, now a business man of Lexington,


Va., was among the students whose studies at the old Washington
college were interrupted by the martial call of their State. For-
tunately, he was among those who were again permitted to see
their home and friends. He was born at Lexington in 1842, and,
in March, 1862, left the college to become a private in the Rock-
bridge artillery, with which he served throughout the war. He
fought at Kernstown on the outposts with Ashby, at Winchester in
the defeat of Banks, at Port Republic, and then, moving with
Jackson to the support of Lee, was engaged at Cold Harbor and
Malvern Hill. He participated in the fighting of Jackson's army
at Slaughter Mountain, Chantilly and Second Manassas, and, at
Sharpsburg received a wound in the right leg that disabled him
ior three months. His subsequent career included the battles of
Fredericksburg, three days at Gettysburg, Mine Run, Cold Harbor,
where he was twice wounded, the action at Fort Gilmer and the
battle of Sailor's Creek. He was paroled at Appomattox, and then,
returning to Lexington, resumed his college studies. From 1867
to 1877 he was engaged in teaching school in Maryland and Ken-
tucky. Since then he has been a resident of Lexington, occupied
first_ in farming and of late in the coal trade.

Lieutenant Henry V. Moore, late of Norfolk, Va., served through-
вАҐout the Confederate war as a member of the Norfolk Light Ar-
tillery Blues, a company which was organized under Capt. Miles
King, February 22, 1828. The Blues turned out in full strength as
soon as it was determined that Virginia would participate in the
struggle for Southern autonomy, and were on duty April 19, 1861,
when the powder was removed from Fort Norfolk, and, on the
iiext day, they intercepted the Baltimore boat, supposed to carry
.-Federal reinforcements. After this, until March, 1862, the com-
-pany served as infantry, attached to the Sixteenth regiment, but
mainly on battery duty, at Sewell's Point, where they participated
in actions with the Federal fleet. After the abandonment of
Norfolk, the Blues were on duty about Richmond and Petersburg
for several months, during which period Sergeant Moore was
promoted fourth lieutenant, the rank he held during the remainder
of the war. In the fall of 1862 he was with his company on the
Rappahannock, guarding the fords, and, during the battle of Fred-
ericksburg, the company did eflfective service with its guns on the
Confederate left. They were on guard at United States Ford in
April, and, then retiring toward Chancellorsville, took part in the
opening of the three days' battle of that name. Attached to Gar-
nett's battalion and Heth's division, the Blues took part in the
famous artillery duels at Gettysburg and the Bristoe campaign,
and, in the spring of 1864, served constantly in the front from the
Wilderness to Cold Harbor. During the siege of Petersburg they
were stationed near the scene of the Crater fight and on the Boyd-
town plank road, and, during the Federal assault on April i, 1865,
part of the company fought at the latter station without supports
until surrounded. Lieutenant Moore was engaged in almost con-
stant artillery fighting on the Petersburg lines from June 16, 1864,
to April I, 1865. After the close of the war he was engaged in
the lumber business at Norfolk, where he died, March 3, 1886. He
was married, in i860, to Miss Julia Fatherly. Their only son, W. L.
^oore, now a prominent business rrian of Berkley, was born at


Norfolk in 1866. In his youth he was with his father in the lumber
business, subsequently was in the service of the Norfolk Sz; South-
ern railroad, and then returned to the lumber trade. He embarked
in business on his own account in 1895 and is meeting with cred-
itable success. He is loyal to the heroic memories of Virginia and
is the efficient commander of Neimeyer-Shaw camp. Sons of Con-
federate Veterans. In 1895 he was married to Cassandra D.,
daughter of W. H. H. Cory, a Confederate veteran.

John H. Moore, of Lexington, Va., a veteran of the Rockbridge
artillery, was born at Lexington in 1836. He was educated at
the Washington college, being graduated by that famous institu-
tion in 1856. In April, 1861, he entered the Confederate service
with the Rockbridge Rifles, but was soon afterward transferred to
the Rockbridge artillery. His service was interrupted, in 1863, by
exemption under the law as a court commissioner, but, in 1864, he
rejoined the artillery, and, with this exception, participated in its
operations throughout the war. His record includes gallant service
at the battles of Falling Waters, First Manassas, Port Republic,
Winchester, Cross Keys, Cumberland Church, Cold Harbor, Mal-
vern Hill and Appomattox. He was wounded at Winchester, again
at Malvern Hill and a third time at Cumberland hill. After the
close of hostilities he returned to Lexington, and, with the excep-
tion of a period in which he taught school in Bath and Montgomery
counties, has resided m his native city.

Captain John Preston Moore, a prominent citizen of Lexington,
Va., was born in Rockbridge county, Va., February 26, 1841, and
there reared and educated. He entered the military service of the
Confederate States, in August, 1861, as second lieutenant of Com-
pany G, Fifty-eighth Virginia infantry. At the reorganization of
the army, in May, 1862, he was elected and commissioned captain
of his company, but had served but a short time with this rank,
when, in the following month, he fell with severe and dangerous
wounds, in the battle of Port Republic, at the close of Jackson's
campaign of the valley. He was incapacitated for any service
whatever, for one year afterward, when he became able to accept
an assignment to duty, as enrolling officer of Bath county, Va.
After a few months of service as enrolling officer. Captain Moore
sought and obtained permission to return to his company, mounted,
and participated in the second campaign of the Wilderness, in the
spring of 1864; but, finding it impracticable to command an infantry
company on horseback, and, being unable for field service, he was
retired under an act of the Congress of the Confederate States, with
his rank and pay as captain, and assigned to duty as commandant of
the military post, at Lexington, Va., where he remained in charge,
until the close of the war. During his service in the valley of
Virginia, he was engaged in the battle near Harrisonburg, in which
occurred the untimely death of the gallant Ashby, and, in the spring
of 1864, participated in two of the battles of the Wilderness. After
the close of hostilities, he engaged in farming for a time, in Rock-
bridge county, until he was appointed deputy sheriflf of the county.
He performed the duties of this office, until May, 1870, when he
was made clerk of the county court. Such was his efficiency in
this office that he was continued as clerk until July, 1893, a period
of over twenty-three years. He was then admitted to the bar and


has subsequently been engaged in the practice of the law at Lex-
ington, Va.

Colonel Lewis Tilghman Moore, late of Winchester, Va., was
born in Loudoun county, Va., February 25, 1816, the son of John
Moore, Sr., who served in the Maryland Line during the war of
the Revolution, and his wife, Mary Mann, the daughter of John
and Mary Mann, of Loudoun county. Colonel Moore completed
his education at Georgetown, Ky., under the tutelage of Lieut.
Jacob Ammon, graduate of the National military academy at West
Point, and subsequently studied law with the legal firm of Burton
& Williams, at Winchester. At that city he began the practice of
law, in 1842, and subsequently devoted his life to the profession,
except such time as he gave to the State. Having become prom-
inent in the militia service, he was ordered, in the fall of 1859, to
proceed to Harper's Ferry with four volunteer companies under
his command, to assist in the suppression of the movement inaug-
urated by John Brown. Reaching there the night following the
receipt of the order, he marched his troops near Brown's fort and
witnessed the arrest of the raider. After this the militia forces were
left in quiet until April, 1861, when, at the time of the secession of
Virginia, Colonel Moore was ordered by Governor Letcher to
march all available forces to Harper's Ferry, to take possession of
the military stores. He reached there with his men, just after
the town had been evacuated and the armory burned and remained
there until the evacuation by the Confederate troops. In the
meantime the State convention, in session at Richmond, appointed
him to the rank of lieutenant-colonel and he was assigned to the
Fourth regiment Virginia volunteer infantry, commanded by Col.
James F. Preston. From Harper's Ferry he went with his regi-
ment to Camp Stephens, and, for some time, no military action
occurred except an affair under Col. T. J. Jackson against Patter-
son's command. Then, receiving orders to march to Manassas,
the regiment participated with great gallantry in the battle of July
21, 1861, as a part of Jackson's "Stonewall" brigade, taking 778
men into action and losing about 280 in killed and wounded. The
regiment captured Rickett's Federal battery after I o'clock in the
afternoon, and in the charge. Colonel Moore received a wound in
the right knee which greatly disabled him throughout the re-
mainder of his life. Colonel Preston, a gallant and capable officer,
of high character and loved by all his associates, died in 1861, and
Moore was then promoted colonel, but on account of the severity
of his wound he was unable to accompany the command in its
future movements. Afterward he saw, at Edenburg, Va., in 1864,
the remnant that then remained of the gallant Fourth, but twelve
men, under the command of Captain Wade, acting as colonel.
There could have been no better or more devoted regiment in the
Confederate service. At the close of the war. Colonel Moore re-
turned to Winchester and resumed the practice of law. During
his residence of more than half a century at that famous valley
city, he was admired and revered as a citizen and a patriot. His
death occurred in December, 1897.

Major Samuel J. C. Moore, of Berryville, Va., in 1864 adjutant-
general of the army of the Valley, was born at Charlestown, Jefifer-
son county, June 29, 1826. He was educated at Charlestown acad-


emy, and, adopting the law as his profession, was engaged in the
practice at his native town until 1857, when he removed to Berry-
ville, where he remained until the presage of war led to the memor-
able ordinance of secession in 1861. He had become a member of
a military company, organized at Berryville, in 1859, upon the
occasion of the first invasion of the State, and, as first lieutenant of
this command, he went into service immediately after the ordinance
was passed, taking part in the occupation of Harper's Ferry. His
company was subsequently assigned, as Company I, to the Second
regiment of Virginia infantry, brigade of Gen. T. J. Jackson, and,
at the first battle of Manassas, shared in winning for men and
commander the glorious title of "Stonewall." Then being pro-
moted captain, he led his company through the campaign of 1862
in the Shenandoah valley, receiving two slight wounds at Kerns-
town and taking part in the battles of McDowell, Winchester and
Port Republic; and then, in northeastern Virginia, at the engage-
ments of Cedar Mountain and Second Manassas. At the latter
battle he was seriously wounded by a shot through the thigh, and
on his recovery, was assigned to duty as assistant adjutant-general
of the Second brigade of Jackson's old division. In this capacity
he participated in the battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville
and Mine Run, and entered the Wilderness campaign of 1864, but
was again severely wounded in the first day's fighting. When he
was able to return to duty he was appointed assistant inspector-
general of the army of the Valley of Virginia, commanded by Gen-
eral Early, and served on the staff of that general in the Jaattla
at Winchester, September 19, 1864, and in October, 1864, he was
promoted adjutant-general and chief of staff of Early's command.
While upon General Early's staff he took part in the battles of
Fisher's Hill, Cedar Creek and Waynesboro. Since 1865 he has
been engaged in the practice of law at Berryville, and occupies a
prominent position at the bar. He was made judge of the county
court of Clarke county, Va., January i, 1894. He had the honor of
being the first commander of J. E. B. Stuart camp. Confederate
Veterans, at Berryville, and is now commander of the camp of Sons
of Confederate Veterans at the same place. He was first married,
December 12, 1850, to Miss Ellen G. ScoUay, and by this union
had one son, S. ScoUay Moore, D. D., a clergyman of the Episco-
pal church, at Parkersburg, W. Va. By his subsequent marriage,
February 16, 1858, to Miss Ellen Kownslar, he has one son, Lawson
B. Moore, M. D., a physician of Frederick county, and five

Samuel R. Moore, of Lexington, Va., a gallant veteran of the
Stonewall brigade, who has for several years efficiently served as
treasurer of Rockbridge county, was born in that county in 1844.
He was a student in Washington college at the outbreak of the
war, and laid aside his books in June, 1861, to become a member
of the Liberty Hall Volunteers, an organization which was mus-
tered in as Company I of the Fourth Virginia infantry regiment.
He served with the Fourth regiment at the Manassas battle
of 1861, Kernstown, Port Republic and Winchester, of the
Valley campaign of 1862, at Slaughter Mountain and Chantilly in
the Second Manassas campaign, and at Sharpsburg, where he was
shot in the head, and disabled in consequence until May, 1863.


He then joined the First Virginia cavalry, and, with that com-
mand, participated in the fighting at Chancellorsville, the third day
at Gettysburg, Yellow Tavern, the Wilderness, Trevilian's, the
fight with Wilson's cavalry at Reams' Station, and the affair at
Front Royal in August, 1864, when he was again seriously wounded,
receiving a gunshot wound through the lungs that terminated his
active service. After the war he returned to Rockbridge county
and was occupied in farming and other business until, in 1889, he
was appointed treasurer of Rockbridge county to fill an unexpired
term. Since then he has twice been re-elected to the office.

William Francis Moore, of Norfolk, rendered his Confederate
service with the gallant Sixth Virginia regiment of infantry, Ma-
hone's brigade. He was a mernber -and fourth sergeant of the
Norfolk Light infantry, an organization formed immediately upon
the beginning of war, which was subsequently known as Com-
pany D of its regiment. Mr, Moore was born in Norfolk county
in 183s, the son of William Moore, a farmer of that county. In
youth he was apprenticed to the brickmason trade, in which he was
occupied at Richmond when Virginia withdrew from the Union.
During 1861 he served in the entrenched camp at Norfolk, with
his regiment, and after leaving home to confront the Federal
forces he served in all the famous encounters of the army of North-
ern Virginia and the army of the Potomac, including Second Ma-
nassas, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, the Wilder-
ness, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor. After reaching Petersburg again
with the army he was taken sick, and was confined to hospital for
six months. Then rejoining his command at Wilcox's Farm, he
was taken prisoner in the winter of 1864-65, and subsequently held
as a prisoner at Washington until the conclusion of hostilities.
The years which have since elapsed have been devoted by him to
persistent industry, and his success has been gratifying and fully
deserved. Since 1870 he has been busily engaged as a contractor and
builder. During one term he served as street inspector for the city.
In 1856 Sergeant Moore was married to Miss Martha E. Hodges,
who died in September, 1894.

Major Marcellus Newton Moorman, of Lynchburg, Va., who
served with distinction as an artillery officer of the army of North-
ern Virginia, was born in Campbell county, Va., in 1835. He
studied in the schools of his native county and then entered the
Virginia military institute, where he was graduated in 1856. At-
tracted then by the opportunities for success in the new State of
Texas, he engaged in the stock business there and in Mexico,
but, after three or four years of this life, returned to Virginia.
Locating at Lynchburg and engaging in the tobacco business, he
became second lieutenant of the Lynchburg Home Guard, upon
its organization in November, 1859. Subsequently organizing an
artillery company, the Beauregard battery, of which he was elected
captain, he entered the service of the State with his command in
April, 1861, and proceeding to Richmond, was supplied with four
Parrott guns and ordered to Norfolk. He served there until the
evacuation by the Confederate forces, on the retreat covering, at
Indian Pole bridge, the passage of Mahone's command over Tan-
ner's creek. While at Norfolk, Moorman's battery participated in the
actions with the Federal navy, and, after the concentration of the


forces at Richmond, took part in the Seven Days' battles and was
assigned to Stuart's horse artillery, with the brigade of Gen. W.
H. F. Lee. With his battery he fought at the Manassas battle of

1862, many cavalry engagements, and Fredericksburg. In 1863 he
participated in the celebrated flank movement of General Jackson
at Chancellorsville, his men sharing the work of Breathed's bat-
tery. He was riding beside the general when he was wounded, and
assisted in his removal from the field. Subsequently he fought at
Gettysburg, and, in 1864, as major of Braxton's battalion. Second
corps, was engaged in the battles of the Wilderness, and at Spottsyl-
vania was among the heroes who fought at the bloody angle, and,
thereafter fighting all day, received a severe wound in the shoulder.
He was at Fisher's Hill, in Early's campaign in the valley, and
subsequently participated in the battle of Hatcher's Run, and in
the defense of Petersburg and Richmond, fighting finally at Sailor's
Creek and surrendering at Appomattox. During the latter part
of February, 1864, he met the Federal forces under the command
of General Custer, on the occasion of their raid on Charlottesville,
and, by a gallant charge at the head of his men, repulsed the
Federal forces. After peace was restored, he returned to Lynch-
burg and engaged in the tobacco business, which has since been
his principal occupation. In 1863 he was married to Ellen G.,
daughter of the late John C. Moorman, and they have three chil-
dren: Marcellus N., Jr., who was graduated at the Virginia mili-
tary institute in 1886; John Pelham, who was graduated at the same
institution in 1890; and Littleton Leftwich. Edward H. Moorman,
a brother of Major Moorman, served in the latter's battery as a
lieutenant and now resides in Campbell county, Va.

Lieutenant John A. Morgan, a distinguished veteran of the First
North Carolina regiment of infantry, now residing at Norfolk,
Va., was born in Perquimans county, N. C, January 9, 1841. His
father, Hon. Timothy Morgan, was born in Pasquotank county,
N. C., February 15, 1815, served one term in each branch of the
legislature, and died June 11, 1871. During the two years prior
to the war, Mr. Morgan was a member of the John Harvey Guards,
a volunteer military company in Perquimans county, with the rank
of sergeant. On June 11, 1861, he entered the service of the State
as a private in the Albemarle Guards, at Edenton, Chowan county,
which was mustered in as Company A of the First regiment. Dur-
ing the first year of his service he rose, by successive promotions,
to third sergeant, and, after fighting through the Seven Days' bat-
tles and Malvern Hill, where he was seriously wounded, was
promoted for gallant conduct to the rank of junior second lieu-
tenant. He received this commission, October 8, 1862, and, in
that rank, participated in the battle of Fredericksburg. In March,

1863, he was promoted first lieutenant, the rank in which he served
during the remainder of the war, during eighteen months of this
period also acting as adjutant of his regiment. During his remain-
ing service he fought at the battle of Chancellorsville, where he
was wounded, took part in the engagement with Milroy at Win-
chester, where his conduct received particular mention, as appears
from the official records and the Southern historical society papers-
fought in the three days' battle at Gettysburg, receiving another
wound; after the return to Virginia aided in repelling Meade across


the Rappahannock, and fought at Mine Run. In the campaign of
1864 he took part in the Wilderness fight of May Sth, and, on the
following day, received his fourth wound, a serious one, in the left
leg, which confined him to bed for forty-five days in private
quarters. Before recovering he was ordered to join his corps,
rendezvoused at Plymouth, and there was captured by the enemy,
fighting on crutches, October 31, 1864. Lieutenant Morgan then
experienced life in the prison pens at Hatteras inlet. Camp Ham-
ilton, Point Lookout, from which he made an abortive attempt to
escape, Old Capitol prison, and Fort Delaware, until June 11,
1865, when he was released, exactly four years from the date of
his enlistment. Returning to his home in Perquimans county, he
was elected three months later to the office of clerk of the superior
court of his county. In this position he served until February,
1868, meanwhile engaging in the lumber -business with his father,
in which he continued until 1873. He was then occupied as a
carpenter and millwright, until 1881, when he removed to Norfolk
and secured a responsible position with the firm of S. R. White &

Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 119 of 153)