Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 71 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 71 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

vention of 1868, and in the winter following was one of the com-
mittee of nine which visited the United States Congress and secured
concessions which resulted in the defeat of the objectionable clauses
of the "Underwood constitution." Of this action it was said: "A
few gentlemen who preferred the welfare of the State to their own
popularity, organized a movement which saved their fellow citizens
almost in spite of themselves." These political services were epi-
sodes in his life. As said of him by the Baltimore Sun, "He de-
voted his best energies to the restoration and re-establishment of
his native State upon a sound basis, and the development of her
varied interests." He was the father of the Augusta county fair,
served faithfully as one of the board of visitors of the State univer-
sity, and the extension of the Chesapeake & Ohio railroad to the
Ohio river may almost be said to be due to his efforts. The emi-
nence which he might have attained in the future and happier years
of the State, when it was free to honor its distinguished sons, may
only be surmised.

Colonel Robert F. Baldwin was born at Wmchester, August 29,
1829, the son of Dr. Archibald Stewart Baldwin (whose father was
Dr. 'Cornelius Baldwin), who practiced medicine for fifty years at
Winchester, his native place, was eminent in his profession, and a
gentleman of the old school. Robert F. Baldwin was educated for


the profession in which his father and grandfather had been dis-
tinguished, and after studying in both the university of Virginia
and the university of Pennsylvania, was graduated by the latter.
He then, until the outbreak of war, was the professional partner
of his father, speedily gaining prominence as a physician. In 1861,
with true-hearted and chivalrous impulses, he gave his services as a
soldier to his State, and was commissioned colonel of the Thirty-
first Virginia regiment. During the winter of 1861-62, after General
Jackson had retired from West Virginia to the Shenandoah valley,
he was left with a part of his command and two other militia regi-
ments, at Bloomery Gap, Hampshire county, where, about day-
light, February 14th, he was attacked by a large force under Gen.
Frederick Lander. Colonel Baldwin, with his men, went out to
meet the enemy, and gallantly kept him at bay until the wagon-
train of the command and most of the soldiers could escape. Dur-
ing the melee General Lander, observing Baldwin's intrepid con-
duct, gave the order: "Cease firing at that gallant officer, sur-
round and capture him," and this was accomplished. His captor
sent him to Fort Chase with a letter asking for him kindness and
consideration as a gallant officer and true gentleman. At the
prison camp he was detailed to treat the sick until he was ex-
changed. His health was then very delicate, but desiring to give the
South his services to the utmost of his ability, he accepted a com-
mission as surgeon, and was assigned to the Fifth infantry, Stone-
wall brigade. After field duty at Cross Keys and Port Republic, it
became apparent he could not sustain the fatigues of that service,
and he was put in charge of the hospital at Staunton, where he re-
mained until the close of hostilities. Resuming his practice at Win-
chester then, he was, after the death of Dr. F. T. Stribling, ap-
pointed superintendent of the State hospital for the insane at Staun-
ton. Here he was distinguished for his kindness, conscientious
devotion to duty, and professional skill, until he died, in Novem-
ber, 1879, lamented by the press and people of the State. The wife
of Colonel Baldwin, Caroline,^ daughter of Hon. Richard Barton,
once a member of the Virginia assembly, died six months before
her husband. William B. Baldwin, son of the foregoing, of recent
years a citizen of Norfolk, where he is winning a creditable place
among the business men of that city, was born at Winchester, April
16, 1865. He was reared at his native town and educated in the
Shenandoah valley academy. During the year 1881 he went to
Norfolk to enter business life, in which he has met with creditable
success. November 19, 1895, he was married to Bessie Saunders
Taylor, daughter of Col. Walter H. Taylor, and grand-niece of
Gen. R. L. Page.

David W. Ballentine, one of the survivors of the charge of
Pickett's division^ at Gettysburg, now a resident of Portsmouth,
was born at that city in 1840, the son of David and Elizabeth (Cuth-
rell) Ballentine. He entered the service of Virginia at the opening
of the war as a sergeant in the Portsmouth Rifle company, organ-
ized in 1792, and was first stationed at the naval hospital, and later
at Pig Point, where he participated in the artillery fight with the
Harriet Lane. In February, 1862, he went with his company
to reinforce the Third Georgia regiment in its fight with Reno
near South Mills, and then returning to a battery near Norfolk, wit-
nessed the famous naval combat of the Virginia and Monitor.


With the Ninth regiment, Armistead's brigade, he took part in
the battle of Seven Pines, and the Seven Days' campaign, his com-
mand being hotly engaged at Malvern Hill. He was next in battle
at Warrenton Springs, soon afterward at Second Manassas, and
subsequently participated in the engagements at Sharpsburg and
Fredericksburg. During the succeeding fall and winter he was
with his brigade in North Carolina and in the Suflfolk campaign.
Then rejoining Lee's army he marched into Pennsylvania, and on
the third day of the battle of Gettysburg was one of the irresistible
line of gray that swept up Cemetery hill and drove the enemy from
their position; but standing there unsupported in the midst of the
Federal army, were swept away in a storm of fire. Of the forty-
eight men of the Portsmouth Rifles who went into action, only
seven were able to report for duty the next day. Sergeant Ballentine,
falling wounded, was captured, and from that time until February,
l86s, was held as a prisoner of war at Fort Henry, Fort Delaware
and Point Lookout. On rejoining his regiment he fought in the
trenches before Petersburg, and after the evacuation fought his
last battle at Five Forks, where he was again captured, and held
at Point Lookout until June, 1865. He then resumed his work as
a builder, which he abandoned to enter the army, and in 1866 be-
gan railroad work, in which he has rapidly won promotion, now
being master carbuilder for the Seaboard Air Line railroad. He
has taken a worthy part in public and social affairs, has served
twenty-six years upon the city council, part of the time as vice-
president, has been a director of the Portsmouth and Norfolk build-
ing and loan association many years, and is a member of Stonewall
camp, and the Masonic and other fraternal orders. In 1877 he was
married to Ruth H., daughter of Thomas H. Myers.

Colonel Charles A. Ballou, a Virginian soldier of the war of 1812,
and subsequently colonel of State militia, who died in 1865, gave
three sons to the Confederate service. Their mother was Rebecca
A. Medley, daughter of Capt. Isaac Medley, of the war of 1812. The
oldest son, Dr. Isaac T. Ballou, enlisted with a company from Hal-
ifax county and served throughout the war as a surgeon. The
youngest, James E. Ballou, was in business at Memphis, Tenn.,.
when the war began, and on his way to Virginia fell in with a
Mississippi regiment bound for Manassas, which he joined. At the
battle of Ball's Bluff, his first encounter with the enemy, he was
shot through the body and killed. Charles A. Ballou, the second
son, born in Halifax county, December 4, 1834, was debarred from
service in the field by delicate health which had previously com-
pelled him to abandon his studies at Washington college, and take
up the profession of civil engineering as a means of promoting his
strength. He volunteered in 1861, but was compelled to give up
going, on account of physical disability. In 1863, anxious to render
some service, he entered the quartermaster's department, in which
he continued until the close of the war. Reporting to Maj. Charles
S. Carrington, at Richmond, he was then ordered to report to
Capt. Harry Robinson, at Danville, and put in charge of the gov-
ernment stores at New's Ferry, where he remained during the con-
tinuance of the war. While there he participated in the defeat of
the Federal party which undertook to destroy the Staunton river
bridge. After the war Mr. Ballou engaged in civil engineering,
including railroad work, was principal of the Winston academy in


1873-74, and in July of the latter year became city engineer of Dan-
ville, a position he has ever since held; also since 1876, discharging
the duties of superintendent of the water works and gas works.
He is a member of the Cabell-Graves camp. Confederate veterans.

Dr. Sidney B. Barham, a native of Surry county, was graduated
in medicine at the medical department of Hampden-Sidney col-
lege, now the medical college of Virginia, in 1861, and though in
frail health, tendered his services to the Confederate government.
He served as acting assistant surgeon in general hospital. No. 11,
at Richmond, Surgeon St. George Peachy in charge, in the fall
of 1862, and then was compelled by his health to retire. But dur-
ing the remainder of the war he faithfully ministered, as he was able
to the wounded and sick soldiers and their families, without charge.
His son. Judge Thomas J. Barham, of Newport News, was born in
Surry county, November 31, 1863, was graduated at Randolph-
Macon college in 1886, and completed a law course at the State
university under John B. Minor in 1889. After practicing for a
time at Smithfield, he located at Newport News in 1891, and was
soon afterward elected police magistrate. Three years later, upon
the incorporation of the city in 1896, he became its first judge of
the corporation court. He is a member of the local and State bar
associations. In 1896 he was married to E. Louise, daughter of
A. Fred. Biggers, formerly a prominent educator and citizen of
Lynchburg. Judge Barham reveres the memory of the soldiers of
the Confederacy and is a member of the Sons of Confederate Vet-
erans of Newport News.

Andrew J. Barker, of Washington, D. C, who served in the
artillery of the army of Northern Virginia, was born at Alexandria,
Va., in 1842. When he was ten years of age his home was made
at Washington, where he resided until the beginning of the war of
the Confederacy. He then entered the military service of the
State of Virginia, and though not enrolled at first, served from
August, 1861, until the fall of Fort Donelson, Tenn. He then, in
February, 1862, enlisted in the battery commanded by Capt. W. W.
Parker, and participated in nearly all the subsequent operations of
that body of artillery. He was engaged at the second battle of
Manassas, at Sharpsburg, Md., where he was hit but not seriously
hurt, at Fredericksburg, at Chancellorsville, at the three days' strug-
gle at Grettysburg, where his battery fired the last shot from the
Confederate lines on the last day, in the siege of Knoxville, Tenn.,
with Longstreet, through the Wilderness and at Spottsylvanla
Court House, and in the defense of Richmond on the Howlett
house line. During the last three months of the siege of Rich-
mond, he was detailed for duty as a courier, and in one of his trips
was severely injured in the foot. In April, 1865, he was sent to
hospital at Chester Station, Va., whence he soon followed the
.army, and after the surrender, in which he did not participate, pro-
ceeded, though crippled, to Jackson, Miss., in the hope of joining a
Confederate command. In Mississippi he remained a few months,
finding employment at the town of McNutt's, after which he went
to St. Mary's, Ind., and was occupied as a clerk for a year and a
half. He made his home at Washington, D. _C., in 1868, and since
then has been engaged as a carpenter and builder, later in the gro-
cery trade, and since 1875 in speculative investments. In 1875 Mr.
.Barker was married to Susan A., daughter of Capt. Edward John-


son, of Dorchester, Md., and they have two children, Edward F,
and Lulu Amelia.

Thomas F. Barksdale, a highly esteemed citizen of Roanoke, Va.,
was born in Halifax county in 1833. He was educated at the Vir-
ginia military institute, where he received a training that made
him subsequently a useful soldier in the Confederate army. After
his graduation in 1855 he taught school for two years in Floyd and
Roanoke counties, and in 1859 returned to Halifax to embark in
the practice of law, for which he had meanwhile fitted himself by
professional studies. This occupation he abandoned in April, 1861,
to enter the military service of the State with the Halifax Light
Infantry, a volunteer organization in which he held the rank of
orderly sergeant. With his company he was assigned to the Fifty-
third Virginia infantry regiment, and was promoted to junior sec-
ond lieutenant. Lieutenant Barksdale served with this regiment
during the year of enlistment, returning home in May, 1862. Sub-
sequently he became a member of the Fifth regiment of cavalry,
in which command he served until disabled by wounds received
in battle. He fought in the initial conflict on Virginia soil, at Big
Bethel, went through the bloody battles of the Wilderness and
Spottsylvania Court House, and participated in the famous cavalry
battle at Yellow Tavern, where he received two wounds, one in
the right arm and one in the left shoulder, which were so serious as
to incapacitate him for further service. He lejoined his command
in the winter of 1864-65, but was sent to the hospital at Charlottes-
ville for treatment. After the close of hostilities he made his home
at Roanoke, where he has since resided, and is successfully engaged
in real estate brokerage.

Robert G. Barlow, of Williamsburg, Va., a Confederate soldier,
identified for four years with the career of the Thirty-second Vir-
ginia infantry regiment, was born at Williamsburg, September 4,
1842. His parents, Robert J. Barlow, a native of New Kent county,
and Sarah Grave, who was born at Williamsburg, gave yet another
son to the Confederate cause, who served in the Thirty-second reg-
iment until just on the eve of the return of 'peace he was killed at
Dinwiddle Court House, March 31, 1865. Robert entered the ser-
vice in April, 1861, with the Junior Guards of Williamsport, which
became Company C of the Thirty-second regiment, Corse's bri-
gade, Pickett's division, army of Northern Virginia, and served
through the four years' struggle as a private and sergeant. He
participated in many engagements in Virginia, Maryland, Pennsyl-
vania, Tennessee and North Carolina, his principal battles being
Seven Pines, Savage's Station, Malvern Hill, Sharpsburg, Fr-eder-
icksburg, Yellow 'Tavern, Second Cold Harbor, Drewry's Bluff and
Five Forks. Through all this fiery trial he was so fortunate as to
pass without a wound, though his clothing was frequently pierced
by bullets. On the retreat from Petersburg, in 1865, he was cap-
tured at High Bridge, and was imprisoned for a short time at
Libby prison, Richmond. After the close of hostilities he returned
to Williamsburg and resumed his former employment as a car-
penter, which has occupied him ever since. For three years past
he has held the post of carpenter at the Eastern lunatic asylum at
Williamsburg. He is a valued member of Magruder-Ewell camp.
Confederate veterans. February 11, 1868, he was married to Mrs.
Mary Ann Crandel, daughter of James West, and widow of Rich-


ard Crandel, a Confederate soldier who was mortally wounded at
Sharpsburg. They have five children: Charles W., Carrie M., Cora
T., Mary Ann, and Robert T. Barlow.

Harvey G. H. Barnes, of Richmond, who added honor to the rec-
ord of the Second Richmond Howitzers, by his faithful service in
the field and heroic endurance of prolonged captivity, entered the
Confederate service as a private in the Howitzers about February
22, 1862, being then about eighteen years of age. Soon called into
action in the Peninsular campaign, he fought with his command
at Winn's Mill, Williamsburg, and the Seven Days' battles before
Richmond. In the Maryland campaign that presently followed, he
participated in the battles of Williamsport and Sharpsburg, and in
December following, shared in the credit of the decisive defeat of
the invading Federals at Fredericksburg. In 1863 he was at Brandy
Station, fought at Chancellorsville, and in the defeat of Milroy at
Winchester, and reached the field of Gettysburg in the afternoon of
the second day's fight. He was engaged at once, and until the
night of the third day, when he was captured by Kilpatrick's com-
mand. Subsequently he served as a prisoner of war through the
autumn and winter of 1863, the whole of 1864, and the spring of
1865, until March of that year, when he was exchanged. At once
reporting for duty at Richmond, he was granted a furlough, but
he returned to the front a week later, and joined the Howitzers at
Fort Clifton, on the line of Petersburg defenses. After the brief
but gallant service which ensued, he joined in the retreat, and
fought in the rear guard of the army at Sailor's Creek, where he
had the misfortune to be again captured. Sent to City Point and
Newport News, he was detained there until his parole in June,
1865. Since the war he has occupied an honorable position in the
community, and is now employed as paying teller of the State bank.
He is an active member of the Howitzer association.

Captain O. W. Barrow, a gallant veteran of Pickett's division,
now a citizen of Danville, is one of three brothers who served in
the army of Northern Virginia. Their parents were Benjamin Bar-
row, of Dinwiddle county, and Susan Ann Watkins, of Henry
county, who were married in 1835. Robert P. Barrow, the second
son, was a medical student at the beginning of the Confederate era,
promptly enlisted as a private in Company H, Twenty-fourth Vir-
ginia infantry, was detailed in the medical department of the regi-
ment, and was killed at Williamsburg, May S, 1862, while trying to
rescue the body of George Houston, the color-bearer of his regi-
ment. William W., the youngest, enlisted as a private in the same
company, and served throughout the four years, with promotion
to sergeant. He was seriously wounded at Cold Harbor. His
death occurred March 4, 1889. O. W. Barrow, the oldest, born in
Henry county, April 15, 1836, left his occupation as a clerk to en-
list, June S, 1861, in the same company with his two brothers, and
during the first year of service became quartermaster-sergeant of
the regiment. At the reorganization. May 10, 1862, he was elected
captain of the company, the rank he held during the three years of
war which followed. At Seven Pines he was severely wounded in
the left hip, and was not able to resume command of his company
until the battle of Fredericksburg, when he was again wounded, but
slightly. At Gettysburg he commanded the skirmish line on Pick-
ett's right. At the reunion on this battlefield in 1887, Captain Bar-


row formed the acquaintance of William F. Lynch, the Federal
commander of the skirmish line who confronted him. The two be-
came warm friends, and while congratulating the Federal soldier
upon his success in subsequently gaining the brevet rank of briga-
dier-general, Captain Barrow took occasion to say that he was
still a captain, but that if the Confederate soldiers had enjoyed the
privilege of promotion on the field, they would all have been brig-
adier-generals before the end of the war. While serving under
General Hoke in the siege of Plymouth, N. C, Captain Barrow was
severely wounded in the right knee by a fragment of shell, from the
effects of which he has never recovered. Immediately after the bat-
tle of Drewry's Bluflf he and his adjutant stood on guard alone one
night, watching the line of Grant's army, while the exhausted men
of the regiment slept. He was at this time frequently in command
of the regiment as senior captain, and he held that honor in the
last dress parade of the gallant Twenty-fourth. At Five Forks,
where Pickett's division was hotly beset, he was captured, and the
remainder of the war period, up to June, 1865, he passed at John-
son's island. On returning to the South he engaged in the grocery
business at Baltimore, and in 1871 he established himself in the
same trade at Danville, but went out of that business several years
ago and has since been engaged in the tobacco business. He is a
member of Cabell-Graves camp and is an influential citizen.

James E. Barry, first lieutenant of the famous United Artillery,
of Norfolk, was born in Savannah, Ga., where his father, James
Barry, resided previous to his removal to Norfolk, in 1818. His
father, who was engaged in business at Norfolk, as a dealer in
crockery, died December 20, 1871, at the age of ninety-eight years.
His mother, whose maiden name was Margaret Ann Ahem, died at
Norfolk of yellow fever in 1826. Lieutenant Barry is descended
from an ancient and honorable family in Ireland, his great-great-
grandfather being James HI, earl of Barrymore. After the retire-
ment of his father from business, in 1855, he succeeded him in trade,
and continued in that occupation until the outbreak of the war.
Meanwhile, in early manhood, he held rank as first lieutenant of
the Light Artillery Blues, and when the United Artillery was or-
ganized at Norfolk a few days before the burning of the navy yard,
he was elected second in command to Captain Kevill. He served
at Fort Norfolk, and was one of the detail of thirty-one men se-
lected to fill out the fighting force of the Virginia during the
attack on the Federal fleet and the engagement with the Monitor.
During the interval between the battle of Seven Pines and the
subsequent aggressive movements under Lee, Lieutenant Barry
commanded the ironclad railroad battery which operated on the
York River road. He continued with the battery during all of its
well-known service, during a large part of the time in command,
until his health broke down in the winter of 1864-65, near the end of
the war, when he accepted an honorable discharge, at the advice of
the post surgeon. After the close of hostilities he returned to Nor-
folk, and devoted his time to the care and improvement of his
large estate. Since then this has been his chief occupation, but he
has also rendered valuable service as a member of the city council,
and for twelve years held the position of president of the Bank of
Commerce. He maintains a membership in Pickett-Buchanan
camp of Confederate Veterans, in which he has held the rank of


paymaster. On May 19, 1852, he was married to Mary M. Moran,
a native of County Wexford, Ireland, and daughter of Nicholas and
Margaret (Cheevers) Moran. She is the great niece of William
Moran,_ known at Norfolk as William Plume, who came from Ire-
land with his kinsman. Commodore John Barry, became a con-
spicuous figure in the early history of Norfolk, and dying in 1807,
was interred in St. Mary's churchyard. She is also a niece of Jasper
and Thomas Moran, former prominent merchants of Norfolk. Her
mother was the fifth in descent from Sir Christopher Cheevers,
head of the family of Cheevers of Mount Leinster, and a descendant
of the Duke of Somerset, Lord Protector of England. Mr. and
Mrs. Barry have had three sons, Thomas Moran, James E., Jr., and
Robert Emmett, deceased. Thomas M. married, in 1878, Virginia
Lovett, of Norfolk, and they have five children, John Cheevers
Moran, Mary Robinette, James Edward, Frederick James R., and
Margaret Virginia.

William Stone Barton, late judge of the Tenth judicial district
of Virginia, and during the Confederate era prominent in the mil-
itary service, was a member of a Fredericksburg family, conspicu-
ous for its eflforts in the cause of Southern independence. The
father was Thomas Bowerbank Barton, a lawyer of distinction, who
died in 1872. The mother bore tlie maiden name of Susan Stone.
All of their four sons were in the Confederate army. Howard T.,
with the rank of surgeon, was connected with the medical depart-
ment until the end; Seth Maxwell, whose services are elsewhere
mentioned, rose to the rank of brigadier-general; and Thomas Scott
served in the commissary department. William Stone Barton, the
oldest brother, was born at Fredericksburg, September 29, 1820,

Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 71 of 153)