Copyright
Crisfield. cn Johnson.

... History of Oswego County, New York online

. (page 105 of 120)
Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 105 of 120)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


not. The election was held on the 1 9th of November fol-
lowing. Only one hundred and ten votes were cast, of
which fifty-eight were in favor of the incorporation, and
fifty-two against it.

By the original act five trustees were to be chosen by
the people, and these were to elect the village president out
of their own number. The following were the first officers
of the village, chosen in the fall of 1853, and re-elected the
succeeding spring : President, Peter Schenck ; Trustees,
Peter Schenck, James Parker, William Andrews, John V.

Smith, and Holden ; Treasurer, Orrin R. Jaycox ;

Collector, Stephen Roberts.

The growth of the village has been principally at two
points, opposite the two bridges which lead to Fulton. In
these localities, besides a few elsewhere, a population of
over a thousand have made their homes, and the building
of new houses, especially in the upper part of the village,
is continually going forward. The principal manufacturing
establishments are as follows :

In the northwest part of the village there is a large tan-
nery, established about twenty-eight years ago, by George
Salmon. It is now owned by Barnett & Humberger, of
Syracuse. It is run by steam, employs ten hands, and is
capable of turning out three hundred and fifty hides per
week. A short distance above the lower bridge is the
paper-mill of William Waugh & Bro., which has been in
operation seven years. It makes all kinds of brown and
tissue-papers, and runs night and day ; turning out on an
average two tons per day, and employing twelve hands,
besides teamsters and other outsiders. The building is
owned by William Schenck, and for three years previous
to the establishment of the paper-mill it was occupied by
his sons as a chain-factory; it having originally been erected
for that use. Near by is a large saw-mill, also belonging
to Mr. Schenck.

Just above the upper bridge are two extensive factories,
both owned by the Oswego Falls manufacturing company.
Each is of brick, four stories high, with a basement. The
westernmost factory was built about 1862 ; the other, sev-
eral years later. The latter is and has been employed in
the manufacture of prunella, alpaca, and other worsted
goods ; the former has hitherto been a woolen-factory, but
is now being refitted with new machinery, and is henceforth
to be devoted, like the other, to the making of worsted
goods. In the rear of the western building are fifteen




'^r^



HISTORY OP OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



395



brick " weaving-sheds," in which the looms are situated.
Of these, about five hundred are now kept running, with a
strong probability of an increase t« a thousand in the course
of a year or two. Besides the buildings before mentioned,
a large four-story brick building has lately been erected
near the river-bank, which is also to be devot«d to tlie
same business. An extensive machine-shop is likewise
connected with the factory.

Besides the above, there are in the village one hotel, four
stores, two school-houses, and several shops, restaurants, etc.
The Oswego Falls agricultural society has its grounds, and
holds its annual meetings, in the western part of the village,
on the shore of Lake Neatawunta. A full account of this in-
stitution has been given in the general history of the county,
but when it was written none of the compilers of the work
had actually seen one of the fairs of that society. The
writer of this sketch, having wituessed that of 1877, is
prepared to indorse the general opinion that the Oswego
Falls agricultural society is one of the most successful insti-
tutions of its kind in the State.

The following is a list of the presidents of Oswego Falls
since its incorporation : Pet«r Schenck, 1853-54 ; John V.
Smith, 1855; Peter Schenck, 1856, '57, '58, '59 ; John V.
Smith, 1860; Peter Schenck, 1861-62; J. G. Willard,
1863; Peter Schenck, 186-1-65; Philander H. Wandell,
1866. A new charter was then granted, by which the
village presidents were elected directly by the people. The
subsequent presidents have been as follows : Dorastus Kel-
logg, 1867; C. K. Howe, 1868; Ransom G. Alger, 1869;
John Wall, 1870; C. P. Dutcher, 1871; F. W. Baker,
1872; James Parker, Jr., 1873 ; Edgar M. Baker, 1874;
Abram G. Hugunin, 1875 ; Edgar M. Baker, 1876-77.

The following are the present officers of the village :
President, Edgar M. Baker ; Trustees, Timothy Sullivan,
F. M. Baker, Almon Wilcox, John McCarthy, William
Gillard; Assessor, W. F. Stephens; Treasurer, F. M. Baker;
Collector and Clerk, Daniel Sullivan.

Of the hamlets situated in various parts of the town,
Granby Centre (formerly Williams' Corners), two miles
west of Oswego Falls, is now the most considerable. It con-
tains a church, a grocery, a post-office, a sash-making shop,
a cheese-factory, a wagon-shop, and between twenty and
thirty quite fine houses, handsomely shaded with trees.
The cheese-factory belongs to a stock company, and turns
out about eight cheeses per day. Two steam-mills were in
operation here about a quarter of a century ago, but both
have long since been abandoned.

Dexterville, two miles farther west, has a grocery, a post-
office, and about a dozen houses. A steam saw-mill was
built here in 1851 by Rodman Dexter. It burned down
in 1857, but was rebuilt by Erastus Dexter. It was torn
down in 1873.

West Granby contains a neat church, a blacksmith-shop,
and about a dozen houses.

Bowen's Corners has a very handsome, commodious, and
substantial brick school-house, a cheese-fiictory, a grocery,
and twelve or fifteen houses. This factory also belongs to
a stock company, and makes from ten up to twenty-five
cheeses per day.

South Granby is a station on the Syracuse and Oswego



railroad, four miles up the river from Oswego Falls, which,
though surrounded by a fertile and wealthy agricultural
county, hivs as yet made no progress toward city grandeur.

TlIK Kl'Isrol'AI, CHUIICII.

The parish of St. Luke was organized as early as 1838.
Rev. G. B. Engle had charge of this parish, in connection
with one at Fulton and one at Baldwiasville, in 1838-40.
In 1841 he had charge of this and the Baldwinsville par-
ish. In that year, or the one following, the church edifice
of St. Luke's parish was erected at West Granby. After
that the parish, in connection with that at Fulton, was
under the pastoral charge of Rev. A. C. Treadway, Rev.
0. P. Holcomb, Rev. Geo. S. Porter, Rev. T. N. Bishop,
and Rev. L. D. Ferguson. The latter gentleman's ministry
closed in 1861, and shortly after the church building was
sold to the Methodists, and the communicants became per-
manently connected with the Fulton parish.

THE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.

This was organized about thirty years ago, but owing to
the loss of the records the exact date cannot be fixed.
There was a class at Granby Centre, and another at West
Granby, which met in school-houses. They were some-
times connected in circuits with other cla-sses outside of the
town. About 1852 a small church building was erected at
Granby Centre, and about twelve years ago, as before stated,
the Episcopal house of worship at Granby Centre was pur-
chased. Some of the later ministers who have officiated
have been the Rev. Messrs. Gurrington, Clark, Turnoy, Allen,
and Grant. The circuit is now organized with classes at
West Granby, Granby Centre, and at Minetto, in the town
of Oswego. The following are the present officers : Pas-
tor, Rev. C. II. Harris; Stewards, Elisha Hyde, Isaac
Pierce, and Benjamin Wells.

The Reformed Methodists have also had a cliuss for many
years, which met at the school-house at Bowen's Corners,
but its numbers are now greatly reduced, and only occa-
sional services are held.

Supervisors. — Elijah Mann, Jr., 1818-19; Seth Camp,
1820; Elijah Mann, Jr., 1821; Seth Camp, 1822-23;
Ambrose B. Kellogg, 1824-31; John Sammons, 1832;
Edmund Bramhall, 1833-35; John Phillips, 1836; Ed-
mund Bramhall, 1837; Amory Howe, 1838-39; George
Kellogg, 1840; Alanson Dodge, 1841-42; William
Schenck, 1843; Almarin Fuller, 1844; W. B. Gaylord,
1845-46 ; Alanson Dodge, 1847; William Schenck, 1848;
Alanson Dodge, 1849; Jas. D. Lasher, 1850-51 ; Alanson
Dodge, 1852; James D. Lasher, 1853; Willard Osgood,
1854-58; J. G. Willard, 1859-62; James Parker, 1863;
J. D. Lasher, 1864 ; Charies Howe, 1865 ; J. G. Willard,
1866; B. Frank Wells, 1867-68; Isaac W. Marsh, 1869-
72; I. F. Pierce, 1873; J. C. Wells, 1874-75; Ezra S.
Hogeland, 1876 ; T. R. Wright, 1877.

Town Clerics.— John Schenck, 1818; Nehemiah B.
Northrop, 1819; Benjamin Robinson, 1820-21; Artemas
Curtis, 1822; Benj. Robinson, 1823-24; Artemas Curtis,
1825-28; Benj. Robinson, 1829-30; Loren Golding,
1831 ; John Phillips, 1832-35 ; Elijah Phillips, 1836-38;
Alviney Wright, 1839-41; Peter Schenck, 1842^9;



396



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



Willard Osgood, 1850; J. G. Willard, 1851 ; James Par-
ker, 1852; J. G. Willard, 1853-54; Darius R. Bellows,
1855; Harvey Smith, 1856; J. G. Willard, 1857-58;
Charles T. Wood, 1859-60 ; Elvin A. Hempstead, 1861-
62; Peter Schenck, 1863; Benj. R. Howe, 1864; Peter
Schenck, 1865; Amory L. Howe, 1866; B. R. Howe,
1867-72 ; C. A. Northrop, 1873-74 ; B. R. Howe, 1875 ;
F. M. Baker, 1876-77.

PRESENT TOWN OFFICERS.

Supervisor, T. R. Wright ; Justices of the Peace, Mel-
vin F. Stephens, J. J. Fort, Washington Lampman, and
Hiram Ballard; Town Clerk, F. M. Baker; Assessors,
Nathaniel Stewart, H. M. Fuller, and William D. Edgarton ;
Overseer of the Poor, William H. Tompkins ; Commissioner
of Highways, M. A. Kelsey ; Collector, James Gilhooley ;
Constables, Eugene Van Buren, John E. Parker, Michael
Ward, Major F. Phelps, and John E. Kinney; Game Con-
stable, Major F. Phelps; Commissioners of Excise, John
Cornell, William Kilfoyle, Samuel D. Andrews; Town
Auditors, Daniel H. Gilbert, Jackson Reynolds, and Isaac
W. Mar.sh.



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

JOHN C. WELLS.

The origin of the " De Welles" faniily"of Lincolnshire,
barons by summons to parliament, Was in the Vaux, or de
Vallibus family of France, one of the most illustrious fami-
lies known to history. The derivation is traced back over
a thousand years to the year 794, from which period they
held the highest rank personally, and by royal intermar-
riages. It was founded in England, at the Conquest, by
Harold de Vaux, and his three sons. Barons Hubert,
Ranulph, and Robert, who were all surnamed de Vallibus.
The descent is through the younger son Robert, whose
grandson William had four sons, one of whom was William
de Welles, of Lincolnshire, 1194, who became the founder
of that long line of noblemen of Lincolnshire whose his-
tory is given in full by Dugdale, in his standard work on
the baronage of England.

As early as 1638, three brothers, George, Richard, and
William, emigrated, and were among the first settlers of
Lynn, Massachusetts. From this family the subject of this
sketch traces his descent, through ex-Governor Thomas
Welles, of Connecticut.

John C. Wells was born in the town of Trenton, Oneida
county. New York, January 9, 1821, and was the son of
Elisha G. Wells, a native of Connecticut, who settled in
Oneida county when John C, eldest son, was only ten
years of age. There were six children in the family, whom
the father, being a teacher himself, gave as great opportu-
nity for an education as his limited means would permit.

One son, Lucius, graduated at Union college and Cam-
bridge law school ; Franklin graduated at the Albany
Normal school ; John C. in his earlier life was a teacher,
farming during the summer and teaching winters. He re-
mained at Trenton until twenty-four years of age, and
removed to Granby township, Oswego County, and settled



on lot 65, buying one hundred and twenty-five acres, clear-
ing and making tillable a large part of it.

He married Miss Lucretia Augusta 3Ieigs, daughter of
Edward Meigs, of Delaware county. New York, and a de-
scendant of Vincent Meigs, who came from Devonshire,
England, 1638, and settled at Guilford, Connecticut.

Of this marriage were born two children, viz., Laura
Crocker Wells and Edmund Meigs Wells. The daughter
now resides at home. The son graduated at a Philadelphia
dental college in the class of 1872.

John C. Wells has been identified with the Episcopal
society, and contributed to support religious interests around
him, and encouraged all enterprises looking to the education
of the rising generation.

His wife united with the church when only sixteen
years old, and has remained a member of the Episcopal
church until the present time, engaging actively in Sunday-
school work.

In politics, he was first a Whig, and upon the formation
of the Republican party joined its ranks, remaining firm in
its principles, receiving various local ofiices from the suf-
frages of his townsmen, and was supervisor and assessor of
his town, and loan commissioner for the county.

He is now in his fifty-sixth year, and still engaged in the
active duties of life as a farmer.



ISAAC BOGARDUS

was born in Greene county. New York, July 23, 1817. He
was the son of Peter Bogardus, whose great-grandfather
came from Holland.

He came to Lysander, Onondaga county, with his father,
at the age of fourteen years, and in the year 1831, and fol-
lowed the occupation of farmer; and about the year 1850
removed with his father to the town of Granby, Oswego
County, and settled on one hundred acres of land, where his
widow now resides, he having died September 24, 1873.
At the age of forty-four he was married to Miss Harriet
Morris, daughter of Reuben and Harriet Morris, who emi-
grated from Sussex county, England, and settled first in
Lysander, Onondaga county, and afterwards in Granby,
Oswego County. Of this marriage were born two children,
— Helen and Alice Bogardus. Helen died in infancy;
Alice lived to the age of twelve years, and died January
31, 1877, leaving the mother and widow alone and bereft
of her whole fiimily.

Isaac Bogardus was a moderate man and temperate in
his habits ; a model of integrity and uprightness of char-
acter ; respected by all who knew him ; and at his death
left a devoted wife to mourn his loss and care for the
results of their industry and toil. He had accumulated a
fine property during his life, surrounded with all that
makes life pleasant ; and although for the few years before
his death his health was giving way as the result of
extra exertion and activity to make his surroundings com-
fortable for his last years, he was still active and persever-
ing. Mrs. Bogardus carries on the farm ; her sisters — Amy
and Eliza — reside with her ; her brothers — Charles, Reu-
ben, and William — are residents of the same town, living
near her.




'HE Wali^adt Place Resiolnce of MRS M HOWELL, Oswego Falls N Y

Her eldest daughter was one of the first three members of that
church upon its organization, 1828.



the subject of this sketch, was born August 26, 1782, in Cana-
joharie, New York, his forefathers being of German descent.
He learned early in life the trade of tanning and currying and
harness-making from his father, and followed this until he came
to Oswego County. He settled at Oswego Falls in the year 1807,
bought a timber lot and began clearing oflF the forest, and on the
site of the first building erected for a dwelling during his pioneer
days, he, in 1851, erected a dwelling, a lithograph of which is
placed above this sketch, and is now occupied by his two sur-
viving daughters. At the time of his death he had lived here
longer than any other citizen, and his decease, November 18, 1858,
recalls several incidents of general interest in connection with its
settlement and growth, many of which will be found in the his-
tory of the early days of the town.

Coming into the county before the breaking out of the wai- of
1812, he served as lieutenant-captain in defending the frontier
of the State against the attacks of the British.

In the year 1801, before coming to this county, he married
Miss Lucretia Hugunin, daughter of Daniel Hugunin, of New
York, who was partly of French and partly of German extraction.

Of this marriage were born Gertrude, Mary, and Ellen Eliza
Walradt. The eldest died in the year 1875.

Before the mother was twelve years of age she was seriously
interested in religious instruction, and after her marriage, having
removed to Oswego city for a few months, she joined the church
in that place, but moving back to Fulton again, she afterwards
connected herself with the Presbyterian church of that place.



On account of her religious character and active benevolence,
the first Sabbath meetings were held at her house, and the first
Sabbath-school was organized in Mr. Walradt's barn. In the
religious instruction of her children she early impressed the need
of preparation for future happiness ; living over sixty years a
professsed Christian, she died at the age of seventy-one, in 1857.

Mr. Walradt followed the occupation of a farmer, and selected
as a site for his residence the most sightly and conspicuous of
any upon the banks of the river, overlooking the beautiful
scenery along its banks, and a large part of the now beautiful
village of Fulton. His farm, since his death, has been sold in
lots, and is now the north part of the village of Oswego Falls.

Belonging to the old Whig party, he joined the Republican
party at its formation, but took very little interest in politics
further than to cast his vote for the man who, in his estimation,
represented honesty and integrity.

He was a church-going man ; received hospitably all who had
a mission work to do, and contributed liberally for the support of
church and soliool. Taking a deep interest in the establishment of
the Pulton Female Seminary, he contributed for its building and
support, and gave his youngest daughter. Miss Ellen Eliza, the
benefit of its advantages, who now, with her sister, Mrs. Howell,
desire to place upon the pages of history a lasting tribute to his
memory, with the above engraving of his late residence and this
short sketch of his life.



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, x\E\V YORK.



397



.^-^





BENJAMIN WELLS



.MK.S. HK.VJ.J



BEx\JAMIN WELLS.



The subject of thi.s sketch was burn in the town of
Northfield, Massachusetts, November 17, 1802. He was
the son of Solomon Wells, of New England parentage and
of English descent, and the fifth child of a family of seven
children. His father was a carpenter and joiner by trade,
and of limited means, and gave his children little opportu-
nity for an education. The father died when Benjamin
was only fifteen years old, and in the year 1817. The
mother died in 1814. The family removed from Massa-
chusetts, and, settling in Norwich, Chenango county, in
1807, bought fifty acres of land. Carrying on his farm and
working at his trade, the father kept his family together
until he died. The children being left orphans, Benjamin
learned the clothing business in Norwich ; afterwards went
to Monroe county, and remained for three years in that
business, and returned to Chenango county.

In the year 1827 he came and settled in the town of
Granby, on lot No. 1, buying twenty acres, remaining there
until 1816, and removed to lot No. 2, where he now re-
sides, having cleared off the original forest of fifty acres,
and made tillable the most of it. At the age of twenty-
five he married Miss Harriet Shattuck, daughter of
Ephraim Shattuck, of ^Massachusetts, and of English de-
scent. There were bom to Mr. and Mrs. Wells seven
children, viz., Oscar, Adeline, Marion, Ambrosia, Kizzie,



Fanny, and_ Chester. Of these, Oscar died 1829 ; Marion
died 1837; Fanny died 1870.

Adeline married Ciiauncey B. Hancock in 1853, having
one child, — Nellie, — who, after spending four yairs in
Falley seminary, graduated in music at the Maplewood
seminary, Connecticut.

Ambrosia married T. B. Reynulds, and resides in Oswego
city ; they have two children, — Addie and Adell.

Kizzie married Rev. John S. George, a Metiiodist Epis-
copal clergyman, who died at Scriba Corners in 1875.
Mrs. George resides at Fult



Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 105 of 120)